Bittersweet

P

PattyPixie

Original poster
I don't know if this qualifies, but I'll go on a tangent about it anyway.
I've been so stressed out and busy lately that I've hardly had any time to breathe. It's a good kind of busy, because I'm finally moving out and getting on with my life. I've signed the lease to my apartment and put down the security deposit, and I'm super happy with it. I'm currently finishing up my summer classes at my old college and then, two weeks after I'm done I start at my new college which is 50,000,000,000% better than where I am now. I applied at a job that looks very promising for me to get a position at and, I have two wonderful new guys in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

However, because of this, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time at home, where my 14 year old dog is. Her name is Spooky, as some of you may know, and I've had her since I was 7. She's lost the use of her back legs and has developed seperation anxiety from me since my grandma died a year ago. Caring for her is kinda like caring for a young child. As difficult as it is to take care of her, I still love her very much and will hate to see her go. My parents have already said that they can't take care of her after I'm gone, so she will have to be put down within the month after I move out. Maybe it sounds like a stupid thing to be sad about with all the great stuff that's going on, but with all the brightness in my life right now, this fact shrouds it in a dark veil that I'm having a hard time escaping. Even though I'm doing some things to help me, like getting her pawprints tattooed on my back, and keeping a snippet of her fur, It's still hard and I start crying every time I think about it.

Right now, I could just really use some support and maybe some help from others who have gone through this.

No, I know exactly how you feel. That's so very sad, I'm sorry. I myself own a dog, who is also about fourteen. She's been my darling since I was four though and it pains me to think of her dying. That said, her brother, also my dog, is in much worse condition. He has cataracts and arthritis in his legs that makes it hard for him to stand. He makes me sad to look at because he seems to be slowly going right now and if it gets much worse for him, we will have to put him down.
I know it's sad - what I did to make myself feel better was to get a picture of each of them and frame it for myself. It doesn't help all the way, but it really makes me feel a bit better to have a picture of Stormy tilting her head and grinning at me and one of Pretty Boy watching TV like the old man he is.

I understand, my dear. :( I've had 2 pets put down before because they were so sick, there was no way I could take care of them. To extend their lives would cost SO much money my mom wasn't willing to pay when all of that happened. It all happened at a bad time. If only it would have some time later, I could have afforded all the care they required.

Hold tightly to the memories of your pooch. <3 She lived a long life, so there's to be happy about, too.

Now, on everything else, congratulations on the apartment, potential job and relationships. School, too. That's really amazing. It's a wonderful feeling when you have your own place and the realization you're doing something right in your life.

Best wishes to you, girl!