Bittersweet Symphony

She smiled "yea ill come by and see you soon promise" she said shaking it and half smiling at layla as she walked away

"Yeah, Uh, see you later Isabelle." Layla called as she was walking away. "So, I haven't seen you in a while, and I didn't know you hung out with her. I mean I never really saw you two together at school.. Well, then again not like I was around you all much myself." Layla gave a small smile. "So, uh, where do you work at?" Layla asked Mark. More than anything she just wanted to keep a conversation with him. It was nice to talk to a normal person for once instead of someone who was pushing for her to be the best.

Mark watched Isabelle walk away and then turned to Layla as she began speaking.

"We didn't really hang out before. She showed up at the diner, which is where I work - the one off Main? - and we started talking.

"Anyway, how have you been?"

Layla gave a small smile and then a dragged out sigh. "Well, I have been alright. Going to school, and dancing my ass off." She chuckled. "When are you starting school?"

Mark chuckled. "I'm not in school. I just work at the diner," he explained sheepishly. What was it today, two of his high school classmates show up, and now he's ashamed at not being in school. It had already been a year since graduation. He couldn't get into any scholarships for those straight out of high school.

"The diner pays well enough so I can live, so I'd hate to give that up for school. Besides, I'm not exactly a smart cookie," he joked. "Tell me, what sort of dance?"

Layla rolled her eyes at him. She knew Mark was smart, she just figured it might take a little motivation. "Well right now I am in Hip-Hop and Ballet. An interesting combination. But I have to master them all, that is my goal anyway. I have also taken Jazz, and Ballroom. It is a lot of fun, and one day I want to be a coreographer, or just a paid dancer for a while, that could be a lot of fun too." She smiled at him. "Oh, come on, there has to be something more that you want to do with your life than just work at a diner." She looked him up and down. She knew with her own goals in mind, she wouldn't want to be with someone who didn't have any goals in life, they would only drag her down. But was that her parents talking or herself? Not only that, but Mark hadn't even indicated anything of wanting to be with her. She tried to stop the battle in her mind, but she really liked Mark, for whatever reason she wasn't so sure of.