BITE SUMMER 2019: Summer Bytes - A Special Iwaku Tale Event

giphy.gif

Reactions: Astaroth
DESTROY EACH OTHER FOR MY LITERARY APPROVAL! Ò◇Ó

I have question. Does the whole story have to be up to 10k words? Meaning the story has to end at that number or can it be left as a cliffhanger? Like if you really get into writing and it ends up being more then 10k words could we submit the first 10k or less words of it?

Sorry if this makes absolutely no sense.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: Greenie
10,000 is the max word count, but from previous competitions, the sweet spot for word count is usually about 5000 words.

I have question. Does the whole story have to be up to 10k words? Meaning the story has to end at that number or can it be left as a cliffhanger? Like if you really get into writing and it ends up being more then 10k words could we submit the first 10k or less words of it?

it should be a full story, otherwise what's the point?
You wouldn't want people to never be able to read your conclusion, would you?

A cliffhanger can be a satisfying ending, sometimes.

I cannot speak for the other judges, but if you give me an unfinished story and I like this story, I will give you a B for submitting a cliff hanger and hold your full grade hostage until there is a conclusion. O:< Just like my eighth grade english teacher did to me.

A cliffhanger can be a satisfying ending, sometimes.
that's true in the case of it being intentional.
But what I gathered from the question was that they were asking about the secnario of writing 15k, then submit the first 10k because limit.
Go for cliffhanger all you want, but that's not a cliffhanger, that's just an incomplete story.

Since the focus of the contest is storytelling, I think not concluding the story would probably significantly affect my judgement of its success. Rather than send in an unfinished work, it would probably be better to edit down and cut extraneous stuff to fit the word count limit. 10k is a pretty substantial chunk of writing though so you should easily be able to stay within the guidelines!

What separates sci-fi from fantasy? Is it a sliding scale or different sets of rules?
There are clear-cut examples, but also concepts that I can't quite distinguish.
What do you think?

Sci-Fi to me is anything that includes "future tech, major advances, social/physical/environmental evolution", usually influenced by advances in science! It's a VERY broad scale. :D That could be a contemporary setting, but with like laser guns and shit. Or it could be a fantasy world where they're using advanced scientific genetics to increase their population. You could do space travel, or mutants, or anything really. The key part is that it is a future (immediate future or far future) that has evolved or been altered due to science, be it purposeful, accidental, or natural.

Or you could read this wiki where authors all disagree about what is scify enough. O:

The arguments about what sci-fi is could go on forever, which is why the prompt specifies that your story has to include some kind of advanced technology! Simplest bar for meeting the criteria for sci-fi.

its medieval europe except they somehow made a perpetual motion machine out of wooden planks and a collection of fine rocks

Reactions: Jays
thanks for saying that punk
now you can't use it

i should probably start putting digital pen to digital paper

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Jays