1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Manna got inspired by me and then I got inspired by Manna.

Birthmarks! Once upon a time people believed that birthmarks were left by the Devil who touched the child in the womb. The Mongolian mark got its name because it was believed that it was most prevalent amongst Mongolians (and then there were some who associated with autism for another reason), though more often it is mistaken for a bruise, or with newborns, as a sign of bigger medical issues. When they are located on the right spot it is considered a beauty mark instead.

Most often they are part of us and we don't think too much about it unless it is obvious and big.

Do you have birthmarks? And if so, what type? Big, small, how conscious are you often made of them, or are you loud and proud?

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: firejay1
I have a Mongolian mark/spot. I long thought it was some type of bruise, then perhaps that there was simply a vein there or something. Then, while researching distinguishing marks for character purposes, I learned about it. The page where I came across it said that they tend to be most common in people of color, which I am not. I thought it was super interesting, though! As for others, I'm not sure? Unless you just count freckles in general, of which I have many.

I've never heard it called a Mongolian mark before, but it might be because mine looks nothing like the bruise type thing I hear ppl talk about. I have a large mole on my right shin that is considered a birthmark because I've had it since I was born.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care enough to show it off, but every time I go to a new PCP they go, "Oh my gosh, that could get cancerous, do you want it removed?" (Bc large moles are good spots for skin cancer to develop) And I reply, "That was my mom's birthday gift to me, so no thanks." And they tell me okay, but to keep monitoring for if it changes in shape or size. The thing hasn't changed in over 10 years, lol. Since I've had it for as long as I've been alive, it feels like a part of me, though I definitely was always aware it was there, so I can't imagine getting rid of it unless I really had to. XD

I've never heard it called a mongolian mark either before. So this is all new to me!

But yes, I have a birthmark and it is on my right shin. Actually the wives tale that came from my great grandmother and told my mother was, "A birthmark will form when you are pregnant and are scared by something! It will be represented on the child." Well my mom hates bats and was scared by one when she was pregnant with me. It doesn't really look like a bat but it is bat-shaped? IDK lol. I think its cute though and never hated it.

And then my husband didn't know he had a birthmark until we got together. His are called Stork Bites -they appear on the back of the neck!

I have a Mongolian mark on my shoulder, so whenever I wear something showing my back, or my shoulders, it gets revealed and people ask me where I got this weird spot from, so it isn't ever forgotten. At least not in summer.

A funnier story I have about Mongolian marks is that when I was born I apparently was covered by them, leading to startled nurses and doctors who thought I was born with something hectic while my mom shrugged it off like: it will fade away. Which it did, but that spot stayed, and so did the mention in my medical file. So whenever doctors open it they read: blue marks covering body and I have to explain what Mongolian marks are. Again.

I also used to have a blue mark on my face, right above my nose. It faded away when I entered puberty, but a lady once asked me if I had a brother, because only kids with kid-brothers get these marks. She was right about me having a brother but my mom scoffed audibly. 😂

And then there are the various other marks I have on my face that old people call fertility marks. I actually hate them because of what old people call them, but also because of certain stereotypes that comes with them (femme fatale beauty mark, etc...)

I've never heard it called a mongolian mark either before. So this is all new to me!

But yes, I have a birthmark and it is on my right shin. Actually the wives tale that came from my great grandmother and told my mother was, "A birthmark will form when you are pregnant and are scared by something! It will be represented on the child." Well my mom hates bats and was scared by one when she was pregnant with me. It doesn't really look like a bat but it is bat-shaped? IDK lol. I think its cute though and never hated it.

And then my husband didn't know he had a birthmark until we got together. His are called Stork Bites -they appear on the back of the neck!

I never heard of that superstition, though! That is funny!

• Haha
Reactions: Lisianthus
I had a giant red mark on one of my hands when I was born but, from what I've been told, it faded away by the time I was two. I also have a giant mole near my left wrist. A friend's mom thought I should get it looked at because she thought it was worrisome until I told her that I'd had it since I was born and it runs in the family and that my dad, uncle, and a few cousins have it too.

And there's the white streak I have in my hair. It's at the back but people remarked on it a lot when I was a kid because it was such a contrast to my naturally dark hair, so I know it's there.