"Biohackers" discover means of human night-vision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Cowboy

You’re gonna carry that weight.
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
  6. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Omnipresent
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Open to anything, but particularly enjoy gothic horror, urban fantasy, science fiction, post-apocalypse, and steampunk.
Article:
In "people becoming superhuman" news, a small independent research group has figured out how to give humans night vision, allowing them to see over 50 meters in the dark for a short time.

Science for the Masses, a group of biohackers based a couple hours north of Los Angeles in Tehachapi, California, theorized they could enhance healthy eyesight enough that it would induce night vision. To do this, the group used a kind of chlorophyll analog called Chlorin e6 (or Ce6), which is found in some deep-sea fish and is used as an occasional method to treat night blindness.

"Going off that research, we thought this would be something to move ahead with," the lab's medical officer, Jeffrey Tibbetts, told Mic. "There are a fair amount of papers talking about having it injected in models like rats, and it's been used intravenously since the '60s as a treatment for different cancers. After doing the research, you have to take the next step."

To do so, team biochem researcher Gabriel Licina became a guinea pig.
Source: Mic

Basically, a bunch of dudes in their garage did some SCIENCE! together and discovered a means to give humans night-vision, up to 50 meters, with 100% success rate on the tests they ran. All other subjects had up to a 1/3 of that success. It's not clear what side-effects there are, or will be, but... GARAGE SCIENCE!, guys! That's awesome!

Here's a link to the paper they eventually wrote and submitted for publication:

http://scienceforthemasses.org/wp-c...wonNightEnhancementEyedropsUsingChlorine6.pdf

Huh... but I can already see in the dark, anyway.

The article describes some of the experiments they did, which included posing in and against foliage in a night time setting. Using the drops, the test subject was able to, with 100% accuracy, find the "camouflaged" individuals while others not given the eye-drops were only able to spot them at a roughly 1/3 chance. They also held up objects and I believe lettered signs, which the night-vision enhanced person was able to make out, again, with 100% accuracy.

So they injected this chemical into their scientist and got free dark vision?
Cool, but definitely needs more testing to check for safety issues and the like.

Plus I should totally use this study to get my D&D characters free level 1 dark vision. :3

It's cool to see people trying things like this. Until they figure out something concrete, I'm just going to use a flashlight for my night vision.

Huh... but I can already see in the dark, anyway.

Way to simultaneously miss the point of the discovery and display how much you're like everyone else at the same time.

I think stuff like this is just the stepping stone to future alterations that could make us better suited toward our environment. With any luck we can create animal people hybrids and the furries can finally shut up.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
So they injected this chemical into their scientist and got free dark vision?
Cool, but definitely needs more testing to check for safety issues and the like.

Plus I should totally use this study to get my D&D characters free level 1 dark vision. :3
Actually, from what I read it was eye-drops and pressure to force the eye to absorb it.

• Thank You
I just find it absolutely fascinating that these guys who, while not scientists in the strictest sense that we understand (labcoats, highly funded labs, men with 2-3 doctorates with dozens of researchers), these men are still scientists. They pushed the envelope with something that they understood, did the research, and decided to test their theory!

And it worked!

Yes, there are a half-dozen dangers involved here, but their theory was correct (they had a lot of evidence to support it already, from other research), and they went and found out on their own. It was as if you or I did SCIENCE! of our own.

And that's cool as shit.

Way to simultaneously miss the point of the discovery and display how much you're like everyone else at the same time.

I think stuff like this is just the stepping stone to future alterations that could make us better suited toward our environment. With any luck we can create animal people hybrids and the furries can finally shut up.
Didn't miss the point at all... my point was, there are already human beings, like me, who can see in the dark without the need for "enhancement." Plus, I can also stick my finger in a lightsocket without being electrocuted. Yay! for real-life mutants.

Status
Not open for further replies.