Bill C-51, Canada's new controversial anti-terror bill, became law today.

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Dervish, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm sure any American reading this will probably be all, "welcome to the club, the NSA's been spying on us for years.", but a super controversial anti-terrorism bill that's been in "discussions" (read: was going to be passed regardless of what literally every human rights organization in Canada or legal experts said, namely it's fucking horrible) for the past six months and has been universally panned and protested by the majority of Canadian citizens since its announcement, became law today. Effectively, this gives CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) virtually unchecked power to monitor private communications without warrants, arresting suspected terrorists and sympathizers without warrants, the ability to charge terrorist sympathizers with jail time, sharing personal information between government departments, and "disrupting critical infrastructure" can be deemed a terrorist act, amongst a bunch of other shit. Basically, CSIS has no oversight and has been given unprecedented power to monitor Canadian citizens in ways that typically violate our Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the whole Bill is so vaguely defined that it's almost certainly going to be abused to horrifying degrees.

The fact that something like this was passed or even considered in the first place is just another sign that the terrorists fucking won as we continue to throw insane amounts of money spying on our own citizens and acting on paranoid and largely unfounded impulses.

Read about it here.

• Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 2
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
  2. I'll be 'that American guy', and make my token post.

Welcome to the club~

• Like Like x 3
    • Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 1
  3. [2].

It's nice to have you here, Canada. I'm sure this'll be a great bonding experience for us. We'll all be brought closer together by our common lack of privacy. :D

#3 Kagayours, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
  5. Has anyone here read the bill?

cause uh

this is bullshit.

The bill is available for public reading on the legislature website. I'd advise everyone interested to read it, and also to remember that you can't have total privacy and total security, it's not possible. To have more security, you have to give up privacy, to have more privacy, you have to give up security.

6. WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN WAAYYYYY

I should probably stop now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Go Home, You're Drunk Go Home, You're Drunk x 1
  7. Now where will we go when the U.S. Inevitably destroys itself?

8. There's Mexico and Cuba...

9. Mexico is fine, Cuba is only good if you have money.

10. Anyone who thinks that Mexico is fine has clearly either hasn't gone to Mexico or only went to a tourist trap on a cruise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eh, honestly, literally depends on the area.

There are some areas that are fairly safe.

Otherwise, yeah. It is a hellhole.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yep, welcome to the club, Canada. The US has had sweeping surveillance of its own citizens going on for years now, and a judge recently ruling that illegal is likely to lead to a change in law rather than a change in practices. Good times, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just wait: they'll get all your sexts and phone sex conversations. I'm sure they have had a stockpile on me at the NSA.

• Love Love x 2
  15. I suspect you were just waiting for someone to say something so you could use that.

16. [​IMG]

17. While we're all making nsa jokes

18. I took a vacation in Mexico several years ago.

Even at the well off hotels some people would act uncomfortabley familliar with others.
    Had one incident with a group of guys where I had to remove my younger cousins from them.

Then once you left the Hotel and checked out the Markets?
    God damn do they like to shout at you get pushy at selling you absolute junk.

19. This is a purely personal comment here - speaking from my own white/cisgendered/privileged/middle-class/patriarchy/soulless-ginger/Irish/30-something/not-allowed-to-have-opinions/not4u/getthefuckout standpoint, but....

... I've never seen this as a problem.

Firstly, I have nothing to hide. Seriously - there's nothing about me that would cause any scandal or heightened interest. I have half an adderall tablet in my cupboard - that's about it.

Secondly, is the government really big enough to pay attention to me? I've worked in offices, and after you've fixed your coffee, answered emails, talked about your shows and decided where to go for lunch, you don't have much time left to actually do work (especially if they let you have smartphones in the office). I doubt any government worker would seriously have the time to form an opinion on me, even if they did see me dancing naked with a Muslim kangaroo and cumming in the eyes of dolls dressed like Taylor Swift.

Thirdly, those government dudes are also just "doing a job". If they're sitting there with their CCTV screens, cackling and thinking of all the POWAH they're accumulating, then they're probably sociopaths and would never have gotten to that position anyway. I mean, really - who are these imaginary Illuminati black-suited guys who everyone alludes to when talking about The Man? Who really has time to plan out how to mind control and abuse people? Don't these guys have families, TV shows and meals to make? I thought we were just all trying to get by in this life...

Fourthly, why does privacy really matter? Sure, if you're a celebrity and you're being constantly hounded by pepperoni and can't take a shit without someone snapping a selfie, then that's pretty annoying. But this is a government keeping watch on an entire population. They don't have time to hassle you, unless you're doing something fucking suspicious as balls.

If I signed away all my civil rights here and now, what would the government do? Are they gonna send someone to come into my house and demand a blowjob? Are they gonna go through all my stuff and take what they want? Paint my walls a disagreeable shade of mauve?

I'm sorry, but I've just never understood this debate. Maybe I'm just an incredibly boring man who no one wants to spy on. But these pro-privacy people - what the hell is so damn incredible about them that causes such angst? What kind of magical, secretive lives do they lead?

And, moreover, who is this THEM that they think exist - this OTHER section of the population that don't lead normal civilian lives but instead plot constantly for domination and violation? I've never met anyone like this. Every human being I have encountered is just a guy with a list of things to do before he can go home and veg out.

o_o To hell with privacy. The FBI can come in and have a cup of tea. I'd be glad for the conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Honestly I largely agree with Asmo as far as privacy is concerned.

Granted as most people know I tend to be a very open and public individual, so there's nothing I'm really keeping private anyways.
    The only time I would be keeping a secret would be if it's someone else's secret, and exposing it could get them hurt.

Though my issue with the Bill would be the one where they don't need proper reasoning to arrest someone.
    I'm fine with all my info being out there, I basically go out of my way to make it public anyways.
    But when it comes to arrest and detainment they should still be legally required to respect our rights, even if realistically speaking they're not likely to abuse said power anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.