Big Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liz covered her eyes, trying to keep from being blinded by the light. She could see how angry her brother was and almost shook in fear. Angry people were never good. Angry people meant she'd get hurt. She was tempted to give him a hug but that never helped with the others. So, she waited until they were out of the tunnel.

Mack waited before opening the entrance to the exit. He turned to Liz and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry ou have to see me like this. So many year of dealing with those..those things abusing you and mistreating you and treating me like I'm God's gift to the world really sickened me but I couldn't express myself so it all got pent up instead. I never wanted you to see me like this but I guess it was kinda inevitable at this point." he says then looks at her with a sad look.

"It's fine." Liz said with a small smile. "I'm just glad they didn't hurt you too." She looked down, rubbing her arm. "Mack? Do you think I could get a notebook when we find our new home? And maybe some pens?" She had always been doodling and writing but their dad had taken the notebooks away, saying she was wasting paper.

"Of course Liz." Mack then turns around and opens the hatch which led then to the basement of the grocery store in town. "Alright sis. Listen carefully and please try to understand. We need food if we're going to leave town so we're going to take some from the grocery store above us okay?" he says then hopes she understands

"So we're gonna steal it?" Liz asked, trying to make sure she understood. She felt a bad feeling coil in the pit of her stomach.

Mack nods slowly. "If you don't want to I'll understand and we'll just stop by a convenience store on our way out of town. Dad gave me my allowance before you got home and I'm sure I can make it last for a few days." he says, not wanting to force his sister to be a criminal just so they woudn't starve to death.

"I don't want us to starve but..." Liz said. She didn't think she could do it. She didn't want to have to steal. She wasn't a criminal, but if they had to, she would.

"If you don't want to I'll understand but it's not like they'll know it's us. It's still night and and the grocery store has no security cameras so it's just a in and out thing." he says hoping to reassure her that they won't get caught since the only light in the store was in the basement underneath it where the unpacked goods are and their flashlight.

"Are you sure? They won't lose too much money because of us, will they?" Liz asked, worried. She had heard about stores going out of business because people stole from them so often. She would hate to hurt anybody.

"I'm positive. Besides we're only going to take the things that are nearing their expiry date. That way they can restock and we'll have something in our stomachs." he says to her to help the reassurance even though he was going to rummage through the unopened things before they left. He then leads her upstairs to the actual store area. The light's are off and it's eerily quiet but the place was stocked. "Grab what you want and a couple of snacks and but them in your backpack. They're insulated backpacks so the food should last a good while before spoiling. Sorta like carrying a light fridge on your back" he says jokingly to try and liven up the tension he could feel.

Liz nodded and quietly walked through the store, looking for food they could bring. She took things that would expire soon such as different fruits and a bottle of milk she had found. She also took a bag of her favorite chips, just in case. She filled her backpack up with these foods before walking back to Mack nervously. She was shaking, afraid to get caught.

Mack noticed her shaking then frowned. "What's wrong Liz?" he asked since he had finished his 'scavenging' first.

"Someone's gonna catch us." Liz said, fear laced in her voice. "Someone's going to catch us and they'll take you away and hurt me." She started to shake harder, looking like she was going to cry.

"Hey hey hey, take it easy Liz. No one is going to catch us and no one is going to take me away from you. I promise." he says lifting her head and giving her a tight hug.

"Pinkie promise?" Liz asked, holding up her pinkie finger.

"Pinkie promise." Mack replies then hooks their pinkies and shakes them. He then takes her hand and leads her back downstairs to the basement. "See. We're fine. I'm still by your side and we're not in trouble." he says then rubs her head.

"O... okay..." Liz said, still shaking. She wouldn't truly calm down until they were out of the store and away from their house.

"Cmon" he says then takes her hand and helps her back into the tunnel and hands her the flashlight so she could go on ahead. "When you see a split in tunnel go right. It's not too far and I'll be right behind you" he says then waits for her to start walking.

"Alright." Liz said, nodding. She started walking, feeling guilty about taking the food from the grocery store. She had taken a few brownie mixes, knowing how much she and Mack liked brownies. As she walked, she continued to try and calm her shaking, the light straying as her hand shook the flashlight involuntarily.

Mack opened one of the unopened goods boxes and took some of the things inside then resealed the box and quickly ran off to follow Liz, collapsing the tunnel to the grocery store like he did to on the way away from their former parent's home so in case someone found the holes they wouldn't be able to follow. Liz however can see a split in the tunnel between left and right coming up. The right would take them to a secret dealership that befriended Mack after hearing his situation and reserved a car for him that he could take to leave the town but the left was the way back to their him which was turned into a dead end by Mack before they reached the grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.