Beyond Third Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wyatt relaxed and felt a million times better once the pod had finished with him. He stood in the buff outside the pod until the robot presented him with a new outfit. Instead of the regular white on white used for orientation, once becoming a citizen regular clothes were worn. He pulled on the briefs, jeans and boots and lastly the thin gray tee shirt. He was sure they would have to rappel back down to the group but instead the robot made no mention of that.

He looked over as the pod Jane was in released her. His throat tightened as much as the belt around his waist was. She stood in black lace matching underwear. He had to look away but he could not tear his eyes from her. So much for not making a move. Damn. he told himself mentally at just how much of a bombshell he really thought she was.

Jane stumbled from the pod as it opened. She had a sleepy and contented smile on her face. The pod had had to work on her lungs more extensively than she thought. A robot approached her with clothes and she bent over to tug them on over her lean muscles.

She paused in pulling the tshirt over her abs as she felt someone's gaze on her. She looked over her shoulder with scowl on her lips to spy Wyatt. "What?" She looked at the harness on the floor. "Don't think you can fight me on that."

"One, you're not going to get my damn harness woman. Two, you should probably keep that damn clothes on." he shot her a sly grin. He moved towards the harness but a robot swooped down and picked it up.

"Faulty equipment. You are to report to the scavenger commanding official, officer Rollins. Take that elevator down." The robot spoke.

Wyatt ran his fingers through his hair and walked into the elevator. Once Jane was with him and the door shut his eyes met hers.

"To answer you earlier, I activated your watch. I had to make sure you were okay." He said

Janes gaze turned dark. "I told you I'm lighter!" The robot prevented her from fighting him any further and she slipped on her shoes. "What do you mean keep my clothes on?" She shook out her red hair and sighed as it fell in a wave down her back.

The robot gave them their orders and she groaned. "I bet you anything it's about them dropping us planet side tomorrow." She secretly found herself hoping they were put in the same room in the mean time. Jane was coming to rely on Wyatt a little too much.

She moved into the elevator, leaning against the side of it. She gazed at him thoughtfully, lips twitching into an upturned smile. "Thank you for that...although I'll have you know I can handle myself." She leaned towards him, gazing into his eyes as she realized she was a head shorter than him. "The stars knocked me breathless is all." She thought about that moments of intimacy. Him pressing her against the ship as she stared out at the sky. She blinked, surprise and desire reflecting in her eyes before she turned to face the doors. "Well look alive..."

Wyatt's eyes never left her face. He watched her, loved seeing the way her eyes mulled things over, so many words left unsaid.

"I have all the cofidence in the world you can handle yourself. The entire view was breathtaking." he said, his eyes portraying clearly he had been looking at her when they were outside on the ship. The doors to the elevator opened once more and he followed beside her. They were closing the gap between the elevator and the doorway. Wyatt leaned in, "As for the clothes, unless you want to be dropped planetside with someone who won't shake the image of you in lace." he had leaned in to tell her, his face a few centimeters from hers. His eyes dropped to her lips before he stepped away.

Jane moved to step from the elevator, his words making her pause. "Hey now...this is strictly a relationship of survival." She grinned, tempted by how close his lips seemed. She shook her head, trying to focus once they reached the floor they were supposed to be on.

A sly grin crossed her face and she leaned in to whisper in his ear, "besides...who says o won't be the one to eat you up." She smirked, knowing how he would react before she entered the quarters of the officer she was reporting to.

Wyatt was caught off guard by her comment. He shook his head with a bright smile. One hell of a woman, he thought to himself. He stepped into the room as well and was directed to sit in one of the chairs in front of the desk of Officer Rollins. He had been in this position before, awaiting orders, always later than it should be for time off, vacation or leaves. He sat relaxed in the chair, his eyes focused ahead, awaiting orders.

Jane moved to sit uneasily in the chair. Her eyes glanced at Wyatt before they scanned the room to locate exits. She would not be caught off guard. She scooted the chair closer to his before she felt able to relax. "Been in a room like this too many times."

A small shudder passed through her body before she fully relaxed. "Oh boy....hey wanna do it before I die?" She winked on Wyatts direction, using the humor to shield her self.

Wyatt looked over at Jane and shook his head while biting his lip. She was full of surprising humor. The man in front of them cleared his throat and waved his wrist over a sensor. At once a board was projected with the image of a planet.

"In a little over six hours we will reach this planet. Superficial scans have come back positive for life sustaining atmosphere. We have yet to scan enough for water which is where you two come in. You are unit zero. Let's call you our first line of defense truly an honor to go ahead of the other scavengers and send us intel and acquired reserach. You will remain planetside until unit one is sent out."

"And how long exactly will that be?" Wyatt asked at once, his eyes finally leaving Jane.

"As long as Captain and Commander see fit. Depends on what gems of information we receive from you two."

"Oh and let me guess, you receive nothing, we're killed and you move on to the next planet? Oh fuck just move on after dropping us off on a planet. I want to see any and all information so far scanned of this so called sustainable planet."

"That's above your clearance scavenger. All you are is a body." Officer Rollins said scratching his beard.

Jane listened, a cold calm settling over her. She lay a hand on Wyatts arm to quiet him as she processed her thoughts. "Perhaps Officer Rollins that is why not one team has come back?" She spoke with a calm authority she did not feel, leaning back in her chair. She crossed her legs, biting her lip and thankful the pod has repaired it from that mornings slap.

"We drop in six hours. Let's move past the terrain and speak about the supplies we will be given...and our communications with the colony." Her green eyes bravely faced off with the officer. "If you want us to do our job properly, there are certain supplies we will be given." She absentmindedly rubbed Wyatts arm with a thumb as she thought. "Mapping supplies, food, fresh water, and suitable clothing. I also know there have been tests for a new pop up shelter." She smiled coldly, knowing her demands were lofty.

Rollins punched some buttons into the keyboard sittong on his desk. He never looked up at Jane but nodded absentmindedly after a while.

"Your demands are not too farfetched. You will be in touch with a team that will be mapping your moves by use of your wristwatch. They will be recovering their own information alongside you and making sure you don't slip up and cause your own death. The shelter was a high demand but if you want to call attention to yoruselves down on that planet, by all means do so. If you would like to go through the supplies and pack your own rucksack the door is that way. Good luck unit zero." He said pressing one last button on the keyboard.

Wyatt had become acutely aware of his surroundings, though his body seemed to light afire wth her simple touch. His skin prickled in goosebumps and his eyes held hers for a while. When her hand fell from his arm he finally stood and walked into the supplies room. It was a two story large room with officials guarding the weaponry closet. He reached for the sack and began perusing the walls, grabbing necessary objects as he went.

"It's like shopping for what will most certainly be my last mission. How exciting." he said smugly.

Jane smirked, dropping her hand from his arm and rising to her feet. She walked to the supply closet and grabbed a sack. "Well at least we can grab what we like."

She moved to pass him, shooting him a wink. "Stick with me boy and you'll love. Nothing can take me down without a fight." She grabbed as many supplies as she could carry and hefted the bag on her back. "I think we will do fine...but I know we will be planet side for awhile."

Wyatt nodded absentmindedly as he stood before the weapons closet. He let the heavy sack fall off his shoulder and onto the ground with a loud thud.

"Oh man kid in a candy store." He whistled as he stepped in. There was a variety of objects, anything from blow darts to high power sniper rifles, these were quite old fashioned, things he knew how to use. With another aisle in he whistled once more. Rows and rows of advanced weapons.

"I want them all." he said with a grin.

Jane followed him, sighing. "Do you see a bow?" She picked up a hunting knife, a wicked smile crossing her lips. She felt the blade, nicking herself with the edge. "Sharp..."

She tested the balance, nodding happily. "Chances of us maintaining higher quality weapons are slim and I've always felt more comfortable with a bow in hand." She moved to join him, staring at him with bright eyes. "Did you choose one?"

"Oh I don't know any of these fancy thingamajigs, but I will take this." he said picking up what looked like a oval disk "I've seen these used back on third rock before. It'll create a hallucination that is so real to those exposed to it. They used it to train us for battle. We could use it to safeguard our shelter. As for a weapon?" He walked by with dancing fingers stuffing a hunting knife and ruger SR22 with extended clip and three mags.

"Done." he said smiling crookedly at Jane. He heaved his sack up onto his shoulder once more, dispersing the weight and reached for the bow and arrow he had seen beneath the shelf. He reached for her hand, holding it open in his palm he placed the bow into it and slid the quiver's strap up her arm onto her shoulder. He smiled took a step back and rose a brow.

"Yeah, great choice." he winked at her.

Jane almost jerked her hand from his grasp but the feel of the bow made her pause. She smiled dreamily, fingers caressing it happily. "Hello my old friend..." She purred, the quivers weight snapping her attention back to Wyatt. "So six hours until drop. Should we come up with a game plan?"

Wyatt nodded his head. "That would be ideal but that would involve you using your connections. We need what info they already have, any screened out maps of the surface so far." He looked at her with a determined gaze. Only she could handle that part, he knew no one.

Jane nodded, watching as one of the officers near the door motioned. "Follow me to your quarters." She grabbed Wyatts sleeve and followed the officer.

While the officer was distracted, she leaned in to Wyatt. "Look there are two people on this ship I trust right now. Me and you." Her eyes took in her surroundings. "There's no way anyone else would be able to have the clearance to gain access to the maps."

They were soon standing outside a door and the officer motioned. "Wyatt, Cole these are your quarters."

Jane felt nervous, looking at the officer. "Mine?"

"Calbot, Jane you have been assigned a different room on a different floor." The officer shot her a look of pity and she took a slight step back from him. "This way you don't inconvenience your partner pre landing "

Wyatt's eyes shot from Jane to the officer. "It will be no inconvenience. If anything troops spend their last night before deployment with who they want. I choose my partner. There has to be sort of a last request in this damn ship."

The officer flung his wrist, his fingers moving with dexterity as he typed quickly. A few flips of a hollogram later and he was nodding.

"Officer Rollins does not deny that request. Evening unit zero." The officer said before marching off. Wyatt moved towards the door. He waved his wrist in front of the sensor and the door shifted open. It was quaint quarters with a desk, bed and little else. "Home sweet home." he muttered as he in turn walked into the room and pulled Jane with him. The last thing I need is someone hurting you before they drop us."

Jane froze during Wyatt's request. She tried to squash the fear that lay within her. The officer nodded in compliance and she exhaled in relief. Wyatt pulled her into the room and Jane blinked. The quarters were small, homey, and far better than the cold brig they had been in. She looked up at him, blinking in surprise at his words. "Are you sure that's the only reason?" She chuckled, winking and moving to put her things on the ground.

Jane carefully lay her bow against the wall and turned towards him. "Do you think we can do this?" Doubt and fear momentarily clouded her eyes and she looked away from him. "I just thought of this....what about spare clothes?" She bit her lip, heading back towards her pack. "I don't want to wear these thin ones they gave me...."

Status
Not open for further replies.