Beyond Third Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wyatt nodded, letting her fall against his side for warmth. He blinked his eyes at threatening tears of the memories of his mothers last words. His nose inhaled the scent of her skin and it twitched and the soft floral bouquet of her perfume. He smiled halfly ad let his eyes drop shut. He would need his rest and having her warmth as well helped ease his aching heart. "Goodnight." He murmured.

The next thing he knew was a blinding light and the sound of the cell doors slamming open. Officials toting guns shouted for all civilians to join in the grub hall for breakfast. Unlike the buffet side for the rest of the citizens of la vedette navire all they were offerd were half warm grits and a bun.

"Lets go scavengers this is your only meal you will receive every day, more than you will receive on the surface, module one, learn to survive on mere scraps. Then join on the deck for module two, gravity determination."

Like drill sargents, wyatt tuned them out while he ate quickly looking around at the group of scavengers training today. How many would be left in a few weeks time when they were sent planetside?

Jane didn't realize she had fallen asleep until the sound of banging startled her awake. By instinct she jumped to her feet and away from everyone. She was confused, rubbing her eyes.

They were taken to the mess hall where she was given a portion less than the others. She rolled her eyes, eating with a guarded nature. Jane searched for Wyatt, having lost him in the crowd. An officer approached her, slipping a note under her plate.

Nonchalantly she shoved another bite on her mouth while she unfolded the note. What she read had her choking and looking for Wyatt. "Damn"

They were herded up to the deck. Helmets were handed to them. These thin made of some weird plastic that once placed on ones head form fitted and created a biosphere. Wyatt didnt know much about space but knew enough to question why they werent wearing any suits to combat the cold abyss.

"We're going to teach you all live action how important it is to always secure your stays no matter how well the gravity on the planet may be. Lucky volunteer is Jane Cabot. Step forth." Wyatt looked around immediately. No one was going to stop them? Wyatt took a step out of line and turned to find her fierce red hair.

Jane was ready for it. She had almost expected it. She stepped out of line, chin held high in pride and defiance. "Prepping me for tomorrow?" She allowed the anger to roll off her tongue and ignored the nervous whispers behind her.

One of the Officers looked shocked, stepping forward. "Cabot! What's the meaning of the inquiry?"

"Oh I think you know, asshole. Planning to drop me and my partner planet side tomorrow..." She folded arms over her chest, squaring off with him despite the dangers.

A hand reached out, slapping her across the face. "You'll do as you're told Cabot. Now get ready for the exercise." He leaned forward, whispering in her ear. "Your fathers protection has been removed...I may not be able to kill you but if you get beat up a little..."

The threat lay waiting and Jane stepped towards the exercise area. She wiped the blood from her lip with the back of her hand a smirk

Wyatt stepped forward. "She'll die out there! Its freezing. She needs a suit!" He grunted as a blow came from the butt of a gun being slammed into his side. He held his side that threatened to drop him in pain. "Shes my partner, she goes, I go."

"As you wish hero." The officer said. Shoving him after jane into the doorway that led to the opening out of the ship. In that room would be their harnesses and rapelling gear. Wyatt placed his helmet on and began working at the harness immediately, a sharp inhale at the body suits he found hanging on the wall. "Throw this on" he said throwing it at Jane. He looked back, all the other scavengers anxiously watching them.

Jane shook her head at Wyatt, a sigh escaping her lips. She was shoved into the other room, her partner shoved in after her. "That was stupid!" She fussed at him as she grabbed the suit from his fingers. She slipped it on before reaching for a harness.

"You should have stayed quiet!" Jane adjusted the harness, glaring at him. "They're planning to drop us planet side tomorrow. One of my connections warned me. Look, I'm sorry that I dragged you into this mess." She pulled her hair into a tight ponytail and watched him.

Wyatt zipped his own suit and deftly tied the slip knots to his harness, placed it on and double checked all his lines as well as Jane's. A buzzer began sounding and he shook his head. "For some damn reason I keep digging myself deeper. I don't know what we're gonna face tomorrow... but right now, don't die." His deep chocolate eyes gazed at her before the doors opened. The pressure change threatened to knock Wyatt's chest flat. He remembered his marine training and breathed slowly in through his nose and out through pursed lips. Within the cabin still he felt heavy but the object of the exercise was to make it out of the cabin, scale the side of the ship and signal the beacon with their wristwatches, out in the open, void of space.

He looked at Jane who was obviously handling this a lot better than he was. He focused and leaning down, knees to chest he began the scale to the exit.

Jane felt her heart stop. The way Wyatt was looking at her made her stomach flip in ways it never had before. She paused, the doors opening and the sudden pressure taking her breath away. Or was it Wyatts words? She had never heard those words...someone caring...

She shook her head, ignoring her feelings at the moment. As soon as the buzzer sounded she began to scale down to the exit. Her father had made her exercise until she was perfectly fit. She looked up, smirking when she noticed Wyatt following her. "So, tough guy...how deep you willing to dig that pit?" She laughed, relishing the burning of her lungs. It reminded her she was still alive.

Wyatt shook his head. This red headed fiery imp like beauty was laughing at a time like this! Man, what a woman, he thought to himself. He hunkered down and picked up the pace, careful to time his breathing so as to not hyperventilate himself. They reached the exit. He hadn't known much about space but he had gone to Science camp by Nasa. He jumped right out of the exit, propelling himself upwards onto the side of the ship. Even with the suit the temperature made him inhale deeply and grit his teeth. Had they not had the suits, they would surely be dead already.

His hand grasped a metal handle on the side of the ship, a sequential row led to the top of the craft where they would find this so called beacon. But it wouldn't be as easy as just climbing the rungs. The ship was moving through space and the pressure was unmentionable as he fought to hold on.

Jane was fighting to control her breathing by the time they reached the side of the ship. She looked at Wyatt with new found appreciation. Her hands grasped the cold metal and she hissed angrily.

She was halfway up when a sound caused her to pause. What was that creaking and tearing noise? Her eyes looked for Wyatt. "Faster!" She yelled, trying to keep any sense of panic from her voice.

Wyatt's eyes focused itensely in the darkness around them, it was unreal. He forced his limbs to cooperate to move faster. Every move felt like he was sinking, felt like he was lifting tons and pushing through tsunami worthy waves. The noise shrieked louder causing him to groan. "What in sam hell is that?" His hand slipped off the next rung and he yelled, falling off the side of the ship slowly. "Fuck!" he shouted, his fingers grasping the very edge of the first rung now a few yards were Jane was scaling.

"Don't worry about me, you keep going!" he yelled towards her. If just one of them survived, he'd rather it be her. He had nothing and no one left in this life.

Jane cussed, moving down like a monkey until she grasped his wrist. "You hold on to me." She grunted, trying to pull him back towards the ladder.

Her lungs were burning with the cold. Her fingers were starting to numb and Jane knew she was lacking enough oxygen to keep going at this rate. Her eyes scanned his waist and she found the source of the problem. She blinked, giving one last strong pull towards her.

With that last pull both Jane and Wyatt were propelled upwards, parallel to the side of the ship. Wyatt measured the distance as they floated making sure they did not get too far from the ship where he could not pull them back and stop them from floating out into space, only their harnesses tethering them from the abyss. A few blinks later his foot caught the last rung and he pulled her with him, floating in a circle they landed against the side of the craft, his body flush to hers.

Wyatt blinked his eyes trying to make out her face, he had to make sure she was okay. He reached for her wrist, twisting it himself so that it was activated. Her vitals flashed immediately and his eyes narrowed at the low saturation of oxygen and high heart rate.

"We need to hurry." he said. He reached for his waist, untying a slipknot and reaching out. His numb and throbbing hands fumbled but tied an expert knot from his harness to hers. With that he scaled what was left of the ship, the harness keeping her with him but with little exertion so that she would not end up passing out. They reached the small dome shaped entrance and after waving his wrist over the computer, it registered their passing of module one. The instructions shone for them to stay put. Wy looked at over at Jane and though she would not feel his warmth he brought his arm around her once again, as he had in the cold cell.

"Good job partner." he said through chattering teeth. "Almost done, stay with me." he repeated. His eyes were lost, not only in the beauty of the darkness around then, the millions upon millions of stars that littered the void but also beause of the reflection that lit up her helmet, brightening her face.

Jane grunted, feeling him press her flush against the ship. She found herself once again breathless as she looked into his eyes. "Your harness.." She tried to hiss, her breath too raspy. Her eyes widened slightly and she nodded when he started moving again.

She kept pace, annoyed when he seemed to be doing most of the work. Once they stopped, she watched him pass his wrist unit over the latch. She was pulled into him and she sighed. "Well duh. You're the one that nearly or spaced..." She chuckled, her eyes moving back to the harness he was wearing. "We need to swap harnesses...once were inside..."

Her fingers clumsily found his waist and felt along the straps. She found the tear and groaned. "I'll fix it..." She leaned against his chest, eyes turning towards the expanse of space as the glittering of stars caught her attention. "Beautiful..." She was struggling to breath, fighting exhaustion. "Your harness...my oxygen..."

Wyatt began to worry immediately. His hand ran along the length of her arm over her fingers to where they were holding a tear in his harness. His heart sunk, he could have been lost forever. Was she honestly asking him to switch with her? She would be the one in danger then. Was she insane? Did she think he'd do it? All the questions flooded him but at once a bright light shone. He turned to look in the direction, a doorway opened off one of the wings and an official waved them over. Wyatt held onto his partner, helping her the rest of the way in.

The second the cabin door shut the pressure was equalized, ten times worse than when it is depressurized. Wyatt ripped his helmet off, gasping for air. The knock of oxygen had him nearly down on his knees. It was then he noticed ice crystals metling off of his body. He shivered violently but turned to see how Jane was. He reached over to her, pressing the button to remove her helmet. He pulled it off of her knowing she would be worse for wear with her breathing.

Jane was almost sad to see the stars disappear. Somehow she didn't feel as alone seeing the stars sparkle like diamonds. She was pulled into the cabin and she fell to the ground as the depressurization kicked in. She fumbled for the helmet, thankful once when Wyatt leaned over to take care of it for her.

Jane gasped, struggling to control her breathing. She grinned at Wyatt, ice melting from her cheeks. "Switch harness...with...me..." She moved fingers to clumsily remove hers.

As she did she noticed her wrist unit had been activated. "Did...you...?" She panted, eyes searching Wyatts face.

"You have got to be kidding me. This is not a suicide mission, I am not giving you my harness." He rose a stern brow at her. He noticed that not only were her lips blue but also that his fingers were a nasty shade of purple, frost bite purple, as he pulled off his gloves. He let out a painful groan.

"Cabot, Jane, Cole, Wyatt, please undress and step into the thermal pods for temperature regulation immediately. Time spent out of the pods could be irreversible damage."

Wyatt shook as he peeled the suit from his body. Beneath the skin tight fabric was a strong muscular frame. Years of endurance training had left him with a perfectly sculpted midsection and obliques that put abercrombie models to shame. With his suit hanging loosely at his hips he looked over at Jane. "Not being a perv, need any help unzipping?" he asked.

Jane steadied her breathing, staring him down. "I know that...I'm lighter." She rolled to her knees, her numb fingers peeling the gloves off. "Wyatt I'm lighter...I won't break the harness as easily. There's a greater chance of both of us making it this way."

She tried to unzip but found her fingers too numb to grasp the zipper. She looked up at his question, Janes jaw falling open. "Uhhhh, yeah I can't..." She blushed, looking away from him and toward the pod. "Ill get it...get in and warmed up." She flashed him a crooked smile.

Wyatt caught that sudden jaw drop and he couldn't help but flash a smile. He walked over to her, his fingers brushed against her neck, moving her pony tail out of the way. Purposely as he unzipped the zipper slowly, his index finger brushed the entire length of her spine where the zipper fell open. With the second warning from the robot Wyatt moved towards his pod and stripped the rest of his clothing, looking back at Jane before stepping in.

The inside of the pod looked like a motherboard from a computer. At once a convection like system began to heat up the air. A series of laser lights started at his scalp and slowly made its way down his entire body, stalling in whatever areas needed regenerative work. "Fucking A. This is some marty mcFly shit."

Jane shivered at his touch. His fingers traced a trail of burning fire. She rose to her feet, stripping until she was down to just her lacy black undergarments. As soon as she was in the pod, she felt the heated air fill her lungs. She coughed, the lasers working over every inch of her body. "Thank you computer! Bless you for warming me up." She stood as straight as she could and sighed as a wave of heat hit her and made her relax. "I so need one of these for myself.."

Status
Not open for further replies.