Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Artificer

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
C

Cloudburst

Original poster
It began on November 6th, 2140.

That day- a day that would forever live in infamy- the planet Earth came under deliberate and sudden attack from alien invaders beyond the Solar System and the Milky Way.

Indeed, we were unawares of their presence for hundreds of years, and in one moment, we were attacked and all illusions of peace had been removed just like the lives of those men, women, and children caught in the line of fire, tooth, and claw.

This was called the Contact War of 2140, and it raged for eight long and terrible years, ending in the alien menace being quelled by their own devices, arrogance, and superiors. The war was a mistake, not just from a moral imperative, but also in the form of leadership. Our former enemy, the Milsar, assured us that their leaders were not responsible for the atrocities of the Contact War, and that the offenders will have a special place in their own version of Hell.

That assurance was not enough.

Earth lay in shambles, depleted not only by the Contact War, but by our own hands as humans, and we were given no other choice than to turn our eyes beyond Mars, Io, Europa, and Kaiper. We were to leave the Solar System and find a new home in the reaches of the Milky Way. For years, the Human Race wandered through the darkness of space.

One day, we found our new home. A world we named Persephone.

On that world we had learned again what it meant to be human, and had found that not only the Milsar called the depths of space home.

It began with a Janus Key, a small but powerful artifact that would pave the way to the future of Mankind. With this key, we gained access to its matched Janus Relay, and with that we had opened our eyes to another universe within our own.

The Umbra.

Two hundred years later, and Humanity had made a full recovery. Aliens were no longer seen as alien, but as other life-forms that inhabit the universe just as we do. Alliances were forged, lines were drawn, and the Umbra laid itself out to all that wished to tread it. Human industries such as Starlon plunged their fingers and agents into and beyond the Umbra to seek out the secrets and treasures of the universe. The aptly named Coalition of Alien Nations, C.A.N. for short, lorded over the Umbra and any space that it could get its influence into, and opposed the corporate empire that was Starlon.

And then there were people that stood in the middle. Adventurers, suicides, explorers, entrepreneurs- they were called many names, but only two really stuck.

Key Jumpers and Artificers.

Key Jumpers were the ones that wanted to find Janus Keys and sell them to the highest bidder. Artificers however sought to take the keys for themselves and see what they could unlock within their respective relays and parts of the Umbra. Both were seen as little more than people that had either too much optimism or too much of a death wish.

Either way, they certainly had some stories to tell.

Hello and welcome to the Beyond the Umbra mock OOC and interest check thread. Please pardon the above if it is too obtrusive. In summary of that: Humanity has discovered a plane of the universe known as the Umbra, and your player characters are tasked/are interested to explore it for the acquisition of a Janus Key. There are several species I have planned out to be playable, and I will allow a small clutch of player-made species to exist alongside those that already are canon. There is a rough story with breadcrumbs and plot points planned out, but it is also open for anyone to create small events as if they were in a sandbox roleplay- so in essence it can be seen as both GM guided and sandbox. As more interest is shewn, I will begin to dole out more information as to not waste time and energy on something that may or may not gather the crop that I desire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested. So this Umbra is like a another plane and the other aliens and humans are going down into this plane. Is is like a darkness and void? What exactly is the Umbra in contents is what I am asking. So like how much people you thinking because I prefer much smaller RPs so like it would preferable if the adventuring group was like just like a small ship crew.

Quoted words.
Ah, thank you for your interest. The Umbra, by all accounts, is a self-contained pocket of the universe that may be only accessed if one has both a Janus Key and its corresponding Janus Relay. Contrary to the name, it is not a black or empty void, and has stars, systems, planets, and possibly even life to call its own. As for players, I cannot guarantee that it would be a small group, or even that people would be starting as cohorts or even allies due to the potential for greed and backstabbing, as the premise could promise great treasure or fortune to those that get what they want first. If it comes to it being a small group, so be it. If it is one beyond my expectations, say six or more people before I decide to wrap this thread up, then I could divvy up the groups as desired.

Ah, thank you for your interest. The Umbra, by all accounts, is a self-contained pocket of the universe that may be only accessed if one has both a Janus Key and its corresponding Janus Relay. Contrary to the name, it is not a black or empty void, and has stars, systems, planets, and possibly even life to call its own. As for players, I cannot guarantee that it would be a small group, or even that people would be starting as cohorts or even allies due to the potential for greed and backstabbing, as the premise could promise great treasure or fortune to those that get what they want first. If it comes to it being a small group, so be it. If it is one beyond my expectations, say six or more people before I decide to wrap this thread up, then I could divvy up the groups as desired.
I prefer smaller groups then that, but I can attune to large ones. I am just a 1x1 kind of guy. I have this premade nation of cohort-ship from D&D. I can't expect you to put that into anything though. I guess the idea just kind of gave me a DnD vibe.

I am still interested. So each key is to a different Relay and the relay itself is the one that sends the whatever to the corresponding receptor in the Umbra?

Ah, I see from whence you come with your concern over group size. As for the key and relay matching, you are correct. Each key has its relay, and vice versa. The relays are often linked to specific locations either within or outside of the Umbra, and the latter are responsible for alien species being able to come into such easy contact with one another.

Ah, I see from whence you come with your concern over group size. As for the key and relay matching, you are correct. Each key has its relay, and vice versa. The relays are often linked to specific locations either within or outside of the Umbra, and the latter are responsible for alien species being able to come into such easy contact with one another.
So they use the Umbra as a medium for transportation? I imagine that large clusters of civilizations would spawn on the relays as they are hubs of transportation.

Yes to both the question and the speculation, though the former question does have a bit of a stipulation. Not all relays go to the outer edge of the Umbra, of course, and some plunge people directly into its vast heart. More shall be explained if more show interest though.

Yes to both the question and the speculation, though the former question does have a bit of a stipulation. Not all relays go to the outer edge of the Umbra, of course, and some plunge people directly into its vast heart. More shall be explained if more show interest though.
K me dude. Merry Chistler

A friendly reminder that this interest check still exists, and I still have a moderate amount of investment planned for this. If more people do not come to show their favor for this roleplay, I shall have to tear it down.

A friendly reminder that this interest check still exists, and I still have a moderate amount of investment planned for this. If more people do not come to show their favor for this roleplay, I shall have to tear it down.
We can always 1x1 it.

I've been eyeing this for awhile, and it seems it could use a bit of weight that may spark more interest. It definitely piqued my own interest, so why not. I'll toss my metaphorical hat into this if you'll have me.

If anyone else was stalking this, now would be a good time to say so and make an appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most excellent. We would need one more to meet the bare minimum I had in mind. If desperation strikes, I could simply own to characters of my own when this is started, but players are always a plus regardless of character count. Perhaps people wish for more information about the universe and such? Maybe that would draw the eye of passerby.

Most excellent. We would need one more to meet the bare minimum I had in mind. If desperation strikes, I could simply own to characters of my own when this is started, but players are always a plus regardless of character count. Perhaps people wish for more information about the universe and such? Maybe that would draw the eye of passerby.
Yah that is what Solus was saying.