Between two worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma walked beside Lizzy through the big hall with checkered floor on black and white, white-yellow walls and some paintings hanging on as decorations.
-"Well..." I started and thought it through.
-"He did first ask many things about my dad, it seems that he knows him being a rich lawyer and all. But then he started to ask small questions about me, how old I'm and if I like it here in school." I said with a smile.
-"So, no. Nothing more then that."

"That's probably why he was nice to you." She mumbled hearing Emmas farther was a lawyer. "People will treat you differently if they know you are rich. But remember Grace and Di and I liked you for you. Alright? If you need anything, find one of us." She told the girl.
Everyone knew Emma had been to the principal, she wouldn't get any trouble for being late. Lizzy was expecting to be very sore if her teacher didn't buy the excuse of being at the nurses station.

When we got back to class Mrs. Rover whom was our homeroom teacher got angry at Lizzy for "skipping" some of the lesson and would stay in the classroom with her the 20 minutes she missed the lesson on lunchtime and I who tried to defend her couldn't do much since she's much more older and the teacher as well. "Don't make me send you back to Mr Perfect!" She would yell at me angrily and then send me to my seat. Lizzy got scolded and then back to her seat. I sighed and looked down at my brown desk, thinking of papa and when he would take me back home again.

-------------------------

It was now lunchtime and everyone have ate, atleast the youngest ones that are 9, 10 and 11 years old, except for Lizzy whom is going to be 20 minutes late because of old mean Mrs. Rover. I wanted to wait for her but got scolded and sent out of the big room where we ate lunch and now... I'm lost in this big building.
-"Wh-where am I?" I said to myself, near to tears and looked around the big hall, left and right. It all looked the same, the black and white floor, the white-yellow walls with paintings hanging and the brown doors. I was supposed to be in a room named "213" but since the signs are so small and I don't know where it is, I'm now lost. I looked outside the huge windows and saw the beautiful green tree, the gray clouds have now vanished away and the sun was about to show. But I was so short that I couldn't see anything except the blue sky, the white-gray clouds and the big tree that looked like it could touch the window anytime soon. It was beautiful, and the warm light from the sun that was going through the windows made the hall much more... comfortable in a way. I felt safe for a moment. Until I heard a noise and turned around and saw someone get outside one of the classrooms and closing the door. I couldn't speak and just panicked, all I could take out was a small "eeping" sound and the man turned.
-"Oh my... Oh my...." He said with a deep voice that would tickle your ears. The man had a black t-shirt on and a muddy blue overalls over the body and brown big shoes. His arms that could be shown had muscle on them but he was still somewhat slim, he had black hair and the rest of the hair was hiding under a darkblue cap, his eyes was shining an a scary iceblue colour and he started to smile wide and his yellow teeth showed, you could clearly see some snuff hiding under his lip by the side. He didn't look too old, maybe around his 20's. But what made him scary was his grin and the eyes that would shine under the shadow from his cap.
-"Why is a sweetheart like you walking around here?" He asked me and I felt how my body stopped, no. I can't keep going on like this. With shaking hands holding in my skirt and with a deep breathe I answered with a low voice.
-"I-I'm lost and... and m-my name is Emma Angelus!" I said in panic and the guy just laughed.
-"Wh-what?" I said before he would answer very quickly.
-"Easy now sweetie before you make me deaf." He said, taking his hand to his right ear.
-"Where are ya going?" He said with his eyes shining blue towards me.
-"I...I... T-to room 313!" I felt how my tears was coming, why was I always this weak to speak? I hate it! I would think to myself and then I heard a rumble noise through the hall, he was moving his silver bucket to the side and sat down while he sighs in relief.
-"You must be very lost then, sweetie. Because this is the 4th floor and room 213 lies in the second floor." He said and then smiled much more gentle towards me and I couldn't help but blush since this was a very awkward situation.
-"I..I... T-thanks! I will be going now!" I said and turned but he then called me out.
-"Wait!" He said and I turned to look at him.
-"Come here." He smacked his leg and I with shaky legs walked to him. Even when he sat down he was huge.
-"How tall are you?" I couldn't help but ask.
-"Oh? I'm about 6'2 feet tall I think?" He said and thought to himself, then looked down at me.
-"Hey... Emma was it?" The mysterious man looked at me and I nodded as an answer.
-"I know this is sudden but to... lighten up your mood. Want some candy?"
-"I.. uhm..." I looked at him while he was smiling and I couldn't help but to say "yes" even though Papa have told me not to eat candy except on saturdays. He smiled and was about to take his hand on his overalls but then a sound echoed through the hall.
-"Shit..." He said low but I could still hear him.
-"If the teachers notice that I'm resting here, they will be angry. And we don't want teachers to be angry, yeah?" He said and I just nodded and up he went and turned into a giant compared to little me. He touched my back and told me to go and so I did, then the teachers came.
-"Oh, why are you up here on the 4th floor?" One of them asked.
-"Oh, I'm lost but I know where to go now." I said with a smile and the other one that was a man with mustache looked a bit suspicious at me.
-"I thought I heard some talking, where you talking to someone?" The man asked.
-"Yes, I was talking to-" I turned around just to see that the mysterious cleaning man was now gone.
-"To whom?" The man asked.
-"There was a cleaning man here and..." I heard the man started to snort.
-"Phah! A cleaning man?! We don't have a cleaning man here! Must be your imagination kid!" The man said and laughed a little.
-"B-but I... I talked to him, it's true!" I said in panic, I saw him. I really did! I thought to myself. But they didn't believe me and I was sent to room 213, 5 minutes late and the teacher that wasn't Mrs. Rover still yelled at me for being late. Now I know what the cleaning man meant by making teachers angry. They're not fun at all.

----------------------------------------

The class'es where over for now and everyone had their free time, even the older ones that're 15. I sat beside the brick wall where I threw my rock at before and started to sigh for myself.
-"I did see him..." I told myself, looking down at the green grass while the other children played on the school ground.

When she moved into the shade of the building Di finally noticed Emma sitting all by herself and bounded across the school yard, Lizzy walking more slowly behind her. With a bright smile and great anticipation Di sat down just inches from the girl, scrutinizing her from head to foot. "Is it true that the principal didn't hurt you at all? What an unusual first day you have had."
Lizzy joined them and sat down carefully in the grass. "It was brave of you to stand up to Mrs. Rover about me. Too bad none of the adults here believe students." but Di protested
"What about Mrs. Levander? You said she was so kind to Grace."
"Alright, MOST of the adults here don't believe students, about anything." Lizzy corrected herself, and wondered how Grace was doing now. "How are you doing Emma? Hard first day?"

I laughed and smiled while they talked and felt a little better but still had a troublesome mind.
-"Is it true that we don't have a cleaning man here? The teachers told me that we don't have any on this school because every children needs to learn how to clean up for themselves. But I did see a cleaning man, he had his silver bucket and a mop as well in his hand." I said and remembered the mysterious man, kind and yet scary with his yellow smile and iceblue eyes.
-"Oh... how is Grace by the way?" I then asked when they talked about Mrs. Levander and Grace being in her office. Maybe they should visit her so she wont be alone?

Both girls shook their heads. "We don't have a cleaning man. Did he have white hair? He could be a ghost!" Di exclaimed wiggling excitedly but the elder sister rolled her eyes.
"Josh made that up Di, he was running from Alyssa and didn't want to admit it, Louise saw the whole thing." Lizzy informed her. "I haven't seen any sign of Grace. She could still be at the nurses station, lets go find out." They could check on Grace and maybe find the chance to ask a question or two about the Principal's 'bad days'. Di agreed they should go, standing to her feet and offering a hand to help Lizzy and Emma get up.

Walking through the hallways Lizzy pondered aloud "I wonder who your cleaning man could be Emma. Are you sure it wasn't a teacher you haven't met yet, or one of the students? Ian looks pretty grown up from a distance. Or Mr. Smith, he comes every once in a while to repair things, portly old fellow with dark hair, blustery voice, fits right in with the teachers, never wants kids about when he's working. But he wouldn't be caught dead cleaning something here. Someone new in the kitchen maybe. I'll have to listen around to the teacher gossip."

I walked beside then while looking down on my hand, wondering.
-"I...I don't know. He looked to be around his 20's and he said that he was 6'2 feet tall, he was like a giant!" I said and looked up to the roof to show that he really was tall, though it was pretty weird to show it that way but I don't know how else to show.
-"He had a darkblue cap on and black long hair that was very spiky and ended around his neck. He also had yellow teeth and snuff inside his mouth, it looked disgusting." I said and started to think about his big grin again.
-"Oh, he had ice blu eyes and a black t-shirt and blue ovaralls." I said while trying to remember more.
-"He whad muscles but not ridiculous, he was slim actually. He looked like a kind person but he was a little scary. He called me sweetheart all the time even though I said that my name was Emma." I said and started to get angry. People never seem to listen but then I turned to Lizzy and Di.
-"Actually, when I told the teachers about how he looked like, none of them said that they have seen this cleaning man before. But I told them that I saw him, yet they didn't believe me." I said and got even more angry and then started to think.
-"Could it really be a ghost?" I asked them. Soon they would reach the nurse's office but they still had a little left to walk.

Lizzy thought for a moment. "I've never heard of anyone like that here. We would have noticed someone that tall."

"Unless they keep him hidden, teachers lie about all kinds of things." Di put in. So Lizzy began a logical thought process:

"Ok the choices are: 1 He's human, and they're lying, or he secretly cleans when no one is watching.
2 He's imaginary, but you don't seem crazy or drugged.
3 He's not a normal human, and they are lying or don't know about him."

Di was already hoping the cleaning man was something as exciting as the rumors about the school guard. "Did he do anything unhuman? walk through walls or float or talk without breathing? Were his eyes dull? Did you see him touch anything? Did you touch him?" Di's questions were getting more and more exciting and she reached out to hold onto Emma's arm with anxious anticipation for her answers.

-"I..I" I started to think through the situation again but nothing seemed out of the ordinary... except.
-"We didn't touch each others, he asked me if I wanted some candy but the teachers came and he said that he had to work or else they would be angry at him. When they came and wondered whom I talked to, I turned around but he wasn't there. It was like he had vanished out of the air. And why would he be scared of the teachers when they don't even know him?" Even myself started to think those thoughts. Next time if I see him, I'm going to ask! I thought to myself and then saw the Nurse's office.

Excited chills ran down Di's spine as she whispered "He could be a ghost, they don't want everyone to see them, just certain people." She looked at Emma with wide eyed admiration, giddy that she could have a friend who was so special.
"Why would he be cleaning?"Lizzy wondered pulling open the door for the younger girls and promptly adopting a quieter voice as they entered the Nurse's office, unsure if Grace would be sleeping, or unhappy to see Lizzy and Di had come along with Emma.

Soul stepped of the bus, his backpack shouldered, dragging his suitcase behind him. How he hated this place. A flood of memories from his childhood caused him to freeze. He shook from his almost trance like state after a few seconds. He walked into the building where he found a teacher waiting to show him to his room. "This way Mr....Wright, was it?" He responded in a calm and friendly tone: "Please, call me Soul. Mr. Wright is my father." Soul thought of his father in that instant. The man responsible for his childhood. How he hated that man, almost as much as he hated this place. But he was brought back to reality by the teachers voice "Ah, then right this way Soul." The teacher led him to his room, unlocked the door, and handed him the key. "Don't lose it, for security reasons it's the only one. I must be going I have a class in a few minutes." He took the key and gave a small wave with his right hand as the teacher walked away in a rush. He opened the door and walked into the room, he dropped the backpack on the bed and slid his suitcase under. He'd unpack it later, for now he had to get to the nurses office to report that he had made it to work. He grabbed the backpack first aid kit from the night stand, as well as a knife that he slid into his pocket, from the night stands's cabinet like compartment. He then exited the room and locked the door, pocketing the key before walking at a quickened pace toward the nurse's office.

I started to get a puffy cheeks since I get that when I get a little angry or in too much thought.
-"I.. I don't know why he would be cleaning. He maybe likes it?" I answered and then started to think about him, his smile, the yellow teeth and the snuff, his ice blue eyes and very tall slender body. In some way, he didn't actually seem that scary, maybe he was actually really nice? I walked inside and saw Mrs. Levander standing and checking some paperwork. She then saw us go inside.
-"Oh, be a little quiet, I've just got Grace calmed down and she's sleeping for now. But sheäll probably wake up soon. If you want, you three can wait here?" She looked at us with her gentle smile and I started to wonder.
-"Mrs. Levander." I said and she turned to me.
-"Yes Emma?" Her eyes shone in a beautiful green color and I just felt a warm feeling inside of me.
-"Uhm.. Do you know if we have a cleaning man here in this school?"
-"Oh... Uhm... No. We don't have any cleaning man here, we just let the teachers and the students take care of themselves." She answered.
-"Oh..." I said low and she looked at me with her eyebrown high up.
-"Is something wrong?" She then asked and leaned down a little.
-"N-no no. It's nothing." I said a little nervous and then went to see after Grace, she looked fine to me but I was worried that she still felt a lot of pain even now.

Soul stepped into the nurse's office in a hurry. "Sorry I'm late Mrs. Levandar, I missed the first bus by a few seconds so I had to wait for the next bus. And then I had to go to my room and set-up, sorry. And thanks for the gift." He was referring to the first-aid he had gotten from his room. He then turned his gaze toward the students. "Why hello there. My name is Soul, and I'm here to help Mrs. Levander. What are your names?" Soul smiled at them brightly. He slightly bowed and bent his knees a little, so that his face was a little closer to eye level for the children. Soul was, after all, much older than the youngest. And it didn't help that he was a little tall for his age. When he did this his white hair blew from his face and revealed his deep blue eyes. His teeth were white. His skin only a little tan, yet still kind of pale.
420px-Anime-boy-with-white-hair-and-blue-eyes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The moment she saw him Di felt as if her heart stopped beating. She glanced back and forth between the stranger and every other person in the room, even squinted at her own skin and blond pigtail draped over her shoulder. A beaming smile spread across her face.

"I'm Di, I'm 11 and I'm colorblind. What color is your hair? I've never seen someone so light." She reached out towards the hair above one ear. "Dianne!" her sister hissed. Recoiling her hand Di instead offered to shake Soul's hand. She desperately wanted to know if he could he be touched, or if he was merely a specter, like the 'ghost' her thoughts were full of.

"Please don't be upset with my sister." the older girl exclaimed. But she couldn't help going through her mental checklist and thinking that this person did not fit into the 'normal human' category. But that could simply be that a gracious adult was very unusual at this school. "I'm Lizzy, one of the 15 year olds." She told him simply.

"No no, it's fine. She can touch it if she wants. And Ms. Di, it is white. And it's nice to meet the both of you." He outstretched his own hand and shook hers. He then offered his hand to Lizzy. His smiled widened as he said: "And by the way, I'm only seventeen." As if he knew what she was thinking. As if he'd had similar thoughts himself. He blinked and thought about his childhood again. How his father had sent him to this school. How he had wished it was just a bad dream. How the teachers were cruel and mean. How his life was made constant torment. And all because another boy hit a girl and he fought back for her. Of course the boy had ended up in the hospital and he felt bad for him, but you just don't hit girls. Soul also felt the need to help people when he was younger. He even helped the other students. And once even helped a few run away when he was a student here. But as soon as he remembered this he felt intense pain throughout his body, his body remembering the punishment when his mind did not want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Teachers lie' was Lizzy's first thought, but she scrutinized him only a moment before her eyes saw it was true and opened farther. "Oh, that makes more sense. It's good to meet you too." She shook his hand and studied him closer, trying to forget her first impression and picture him more like a student instead.

Di's minor disappointment in his tangible handshake was quickly relieved. She reached up and slid strands of his white hair between her fingers. There was no way Lizzy could picture an adult letting her sister do that. "Seventeen, but you have to work here?"

"No, I want to. To help the students. I guess you could say I'm here for anything the students need." Soul said in a friendly tone, as he knelt further so she could more easily reach his hair. He also laughed because he saw the moment of disappointment in Di's face and thought it was kind of cute, in a brother sister way. He then looked at the older of the two and said: "You know, you two are the first students I've seen all day. You wouldn't happen to know where everyone else is, would you?"

I still lay in the office for several hours. Mom had said it would be a time for me to leave. Great, more time to raise hell. I was worried about Emma and Liz . I had just gotten up. Mom had needed to take off my shirt and bra to cast my arm right I had just gotten my bra on when some guy walked into the nurses office and mom was gone......

Lizzy doubted Soul knew what he was getting himself into at a place like this. No one from the outside seemed to understand. She wondered how long it would take before he snapped, or simply left. Why would anyone stay here by choice?

"This isn't a nice little school with tutors and clubs. It's free time, so most of them are outside fending for themselves and their friends, or in detention." Lizzy then gestured at the room Emma had disappeared into to find Grace "Three of us came to visit this morning's punishment patient. You should go see her before you decide to stay."

Soul got close and said to Lizzy in a quiet tone: "Trust me, this place was a lot worse ten years ago." Soul then went into the area she had pointed out and introduced himself: "Hello, my name is Soul, what is yours?" He offered up the opposing hand so as to not have her broken arm be an issue in the hand shake. He also bowed his head for a second before looking only into her eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.