"First of all, you act as if Laura is the victim of emotional neglect when she went two years straight without talking to me or contacting me once. If Laura acted her age, and practice what she preached, she wouldn't at all be upset if I just didn't talk to her. Secondly, I think it's understandable that I don't trust you. My sister isn't someone who will bow to the hands of some man who sweeps her off her feet. To think I would fall for that is pretty stupid. Lastly, I really don't appreciate you threatening me when you want me to do something for you. That's hardly going to get me excited over your whole... situation." He replied sternly, while getting to his feet to loom over the demon.

"I'll come to your wedding, sure, and I'll properly wed you, but not because of you. If it weren't for the fact that I love and care about my sister, I would refuse to marry you two. I'll come to your wedding, but I sure as heck don't want to see your face every weekend, understood? After what you did to my friends and my town, I don't want to even be associated with you."

"I'm glad you've grown a backbone over the past year, Ivan. I suppose being able to date Azaiah properly helps with that, hm? Now, I am disappointed you don't want to see me often. You, me, Azaiah and Laura could have met up every weekend, have barbecues and go out on dates. Doesn't that sound fun? I'm not going to do anything out of order. I'm a changed man, like Laura's a changed woman. We've both grown up. I took her travelling, you know? We had a month or two just getting it all out our system, and then we decided to give adulthood a real shot. Have a marriage, a home, some kids-- why is that so hard to believe~?"

"Because we know what you're like. You haven't changed and... I dunno, I doubt Laura's changed. If we go to dinner, it ain't becoming a weekly thing. I don't want to be a part of your life, not really. Laura's? Sure. I'd like to get to know her. You? No way," groaned the other demon, who casually returned to his sunbathing the moment he realised Ivan was clearly capable to handle himself, and if Makai was a 'changed man', he wasn't going to do anything too bad. "I doubt there's even a wedding. I reckon you live alone. Laura's gone off with some handsome young human, and you just want some company~"​

"Makai is charming enough to have gotten someone by now, unless he's really that obsessed with my sister..." Ivan admitted, as he folded his arms cautiously. "I really wanted to trust you, Makai. I know priest are suppose to forgive, but I tried to do that, and you just found more ways to try and anger me. I don't understand it." He huffed, his arms lifting dramatically as he paced the backyard a tad.

"Look, I'm giving you a chance. One. Last. Change. If I come and see that you are, in fact, alone, I'll probably laugh. If I see Laura and there doesn't seem to be anything strange with her, I'll accept it. I want my sister to be happy, so this is your last change to really make it seem as if you care about her for more than just sex."

• Thank You
Reactions: potassiumboron
"That's unfair. Laura's taken it upon herself to change, yet I'll inevitably be blamed for manipulating her when you realise how different she is? I'll tell you now that I've not demonically manipulated her. Not that you'll believe me-- oh well, at least we can all sit down for a nice meal~ I'll come and pick you up around six in my fancy new car. Tell you what, I'll even go and pick up some expensive wine for the night. Laura can't drink right now, but she'll appreciate the fact I've pushed the boat out for you two. She's been hoping to invite you around this whole week." Makai replied, finally getting to his feet and setting aside the beer he had hardly touched, while dusting down his fitting t-shirt. It was rare to see him in something other than a suave suit, but it at least hinted he had changed. He did look far more relaxed in his knee-length denim shorts and t-shirt, but neither Azaiah or Ivan were going to be drawn into believing him simply because he opted for summer attire.

"...We're really going to dinner? I was kinda hoping we could stay home, eat that pizza and just lounge about," admitted Azaiah as he watched an overtly smug Makai wander off, after leaving his mobile phone number scrawled on the back of Azaiah's cigarette packet. "Is it mean that I hope he's all alone in some big house in the suburbs? It'd be the first time in my life I've bettered him in something."​

"Look, don't worry, okay? I'd rather we get tonight out of the way so we can come home later and watch that episode of Chopped I recorded. We can just relax, take a nice bath, and forget about all of this." He reassured the other, and enforced his words by offering a careful peck to the other man's lips. "Just relax."

Despite smiling and nodding his agreement, Azaiah was far from happy. He didn't want to be involved in anything to do with Makai anymore. Once, he would have followed after him like a lost puppy, just waiting for a scrap of attention-- but now? Now he had Ivan and he had come to realise just how truly horrible his best friend was. He didn't want to be around his house for dinner and sat at his table, biting his lip out of respect.

The apprehension he felt all day at least found a way of being overshadowed the moment they arrived at Makai's house. The whole ride there, Azaiah, in his casual jeans and chequered shirt, had been rolling his eyes at every boastful anecdote of Makai's-- until seeing the place the car pulled up at. The eight bedroom-house, with its own private drive in the gated community, was just the sort of house Azaiah had wanted himself. He wasn't surprised Makai owned it, but it didn't make him any less jealous, stewing quietly in envy while Makai parked his car up with the other three.

"I'll say again how nice it is you both decided to come. I told Laura earlier, and she's ecstatic," smiled Makai as he strolled towards the large front door, fiddling with the keys in his pocket to find the right one. "She's had the staff cleaning the whole house down. She's obsessive sometimes. Can't complain, though. The house is decorated beautifully--"

"Makai? Is that you? Are they with you?" Came Laura's typically excited voice from somewhere within the lavish home. At least that hadn't changed, and was still obviously her. However, when she came into view, tossing the floury apron aside in her eagerness, she wasn't exactly as Azaiah had expected. He had been told stories of Laura's rebellious youth: how she snuck out to nightclubs underage, how she got her friend to give her piercings, how she dyed her hair vibrant colours. Yet, the woman in front of him epitomised glamour. Laura's hair was a warm honey blonde (rather than the bright purple it had been a year ago), and instead of the casual ripped jeans and band tees, she donned a Grecian-style white dress that wouldn't be out of place on a red carpet event somewhere, alongside diamond earrings, a diamond necklace and a diamond engagement ring. Apparently, no expense was spared making her look good.

"...You look great, Ivan. Is this Azaiah? He's gorgeous. Kinda hunky, huh~?" She cooed into her brother's ear after tugging him close into a hug. At least her personality had -somewhat- remained the same. Pulling back, she took Makai's arm in her own, her smile never fading. "I have the chef finishing up with dinner, so we can go and relax in the living room, and catch up~ You can tell me all about your work, and then we can talk about the wedding a little. I want you to marry me, of course. As if I'd have some stranger doing it, psh."​

Ivan was, surprisingly, unaffected by the building. He may have drifted away from his duties as a priest, but being humble and content with what he had was pretty strong. After living in the conditions he did, he had learned to appreciate the little things, hence why he took pride in his small, two story house. It was cozy, homey, and picturesque in it's on way. It was nowhere near as lavish as Makai's home, obviously, though his mind immediately locked onto the negatives. It wasn't until he saw Azaiah's disappointed frown that he realized just how much the other wanted a lavish life.

Stepping out of his car, his attention immediately landed on his sister. That scared the shit out of him, to see her so... normal. Yeah, she didn't appreciate his sister's attitude and disrespect towards others, but he always appreciated her style and creativity. He hid his frown with a strained smile, and only let it drop when he hugged his sister tight.

"You look... nice. Different. Makai told me about the wedding, and I'd be proud to wed you both. You look... happy." He said slowly, while holding her hands tight. "I'd really like to talk about this all in private, to be honest. I mean, it's always important for the priest to properly discuss with the bride. It means even more since the bride is my sister," he cooed, despite lying through his teeth.

"Different? Is that a compliment or an insult? I grew up, I suppose. Makai says he misses my purple hair, but it was a hassle. I ruined all my nice clothes because the dye dripped down and stained them. Blonde's much easier, don't you think?" She laughed brightly, not appearing to react too much to his obvious shock. She knew that he wouldn't be delighted. Makai had told her that both the men hadn't wanted to come, not really, but she chose not to take it personally. They were here, regardless of whether they wanted to be or not.

"You two want to talk in private? I can always show Azaiah my game room so you and your brother can talk alone. I have, like, all the latest games consoles. It's one of the only things I like about humans. They develop the best ways of passing the time."

"Oh, sure. Makai spends hours in there. I'm the one who's been unpacking and decorating, and he just wastes the day away playing some shooting games. I'm not quite sure what he finds fun about it, but it keeps him out of the way," grinned Laura, shooting her fiance the playful roll of her eyes when he eagerly beckoned Azaiah after him. Watching the two men head up the marble staircase, she turned back to her brother and gripped his hand tightly. "We'll... go have a drink and chat in private, then. I... am sorry I went away for a year. Makai wasn't in a good place, and I... was coming to terms with... a lot. We divorced, he was horrible to me for awhile, after what I did-- not that he was an angel. Hell, he was awful too, but you know what he's like. He'll never admit his mistakes."​

"Laura, why did you go back to him?" He asked, his eyes genuinely on the verge of tears as he trailed alongside her. "You know what he is now, right? He... I mean, he had people kill themselves, Laura. It took more than half a year to just get Macon together enough for people to want to stay. Our economy plummeted for so long, people stopped attending church - though, I know you don't really care about that. Plus, look at you! Y-You've... You've completely changed, Laura. Did he do anything to you? Did he hurt you? Threaten you? I mean... You do realize he threatened to tell people in town about Azaiah and I, right?"

"He's the one who divorced me, Ivan. Why would he threaten me to be with him when he divorced me? That doesn't quite make sense, does it? Now, do you want some wine? Makai buys the nicest stuff. I tell him not to waste his money, but he laughs, says we should only drink the good stuff. Of course, I'm not drinking right now, but you're free to have as much as you want. Red or white? Perhaps a nice cold glass of white.... It's refreshing, especially on a hot evening like tonight," she babbled, doing her best to distract herself from answering his questions head on. Seeing him so emotional and upset only made her feel like that. She respected her older brother, and, regardless of what he thought, she loved him more than anyone else. She didn't like knowing her decisions had -again- made him sad and confused.

Eventually, she took her seat again and handed him the glass of wine, straightening the creases out of her dress. "I know what he is. Of course I do. You're dating Azaiah, Ivan. You can't... criticise me when Azaiah isn't... human, either. I know what Makai's done, and of course I was horrified and disgusted and-- look, we've moved on. He loves me, I love him. You don't have to like him. You just... need to accept that I've made my decision and... I'd like to develop a relationship with you again, one where I ca visit you like any sister. Makai wants that, too. He's worked so hard on us. You... You don't realise how much he loves me, Ivan. He's not a monster, not... not anymore-- this is all so depressing! Tell me about Azaiah. He's handsome, isn't he~? Makai told me a little about him, but not everything."​

"You can't just ignore the subject, Laura. Azaiah isn't important right now, okay? You were in an open relationship, you had sex with... my boss... though, I don't blame you for that, then he decides to have a fit and complain that you were cheating on him? Not to mention, Laura, that people died because of your husband. Did he not tell you how long it took for Azaiah and me to wipe grey matter from the walls, or the blood from the stain glass windows? He didn't just storm into town, have a few people break ups, and leave their partners." He murmured, after having chose a small glass of white wine.

"I'm not doing this because I'm unhappy with myself, or anything. I want you to be safe. I don't want you to change because of some creep who decided to completely change you. You've never been like this, Laura. You were always independent and expressive, and now you look like you've given up a part of yourself to him. I know Azaiah is a demon, and I know I've got a nifty little spot in Hell waiting for me, but I don't hate Makai for that. If I did, I'd be a pretty awful hypocrite, huh?"

Cringing automatically at the mention of blood and reference to brains, her happy, 'everything's-fine' facade did melt a little. Despite Makai's insistence that she keep it together and not give her brother any delight in seeing her less than perfect, Laura couldn't exactly smile off Makai's behaviour. She knew what he had done was horrifying, and she didn't go running into his arms - he had had to work increasingly hard to win her back around, but he eventually did. She made a choice to be with him, but Ivan did have her second guessing herself the more he taled to her. She did need the outside perspective, and once she had it, it did make her look around her surroundings with a fresh pair of eyes-- and the frown on her face did speak volumes.

"This all is a little... pompous, isn't it? G-God, I'm wearing diamonds. I hate jewellery, besides my piercings," she murmured, automatically reaching for her nose and laughing when realising her nose piercing had disappeared a few months ago. "Look, don't... let him think you've got inside my head, he'll flip out. I do love him. We've been through a lot-- I can't leave him. I'm not scared of him, he wouldn't lay a finger on me. I just-- I can't leave, not now. We've-- don't get mad at me, Ivan. Don't you dare get mad, I won't be able to take it. We've got twins, they're barely even a month old. Do you see why I have to suck it all up and forget about what he did? I have children with him. I won't be a failure like our Mom, alright? S-So-- hey, smile and support me~! I wanted it to be a surprise, thought you'd appreciate a nice shock like this, because it's... it's good news, Ivan! I think I look pretty damn good a month on after having twins, to be honest. I didn't have to exercise much to get the baby weight off, a-aha..."​

"Is it because they're demons?" He offered, though couldn't hide his small smile. Of course he was happy to know he was a fucking uncle, but it was hard to put off the fact that they were... well, they were monsters. "I imagine that giving birth to demons wouldn't have the same effects as having human ones, right? Look, I'm glad you're happy. I'm glad you have children, even if they're, um, what they are. I just don't want you to think that Makai is this great guy who can do no wrong. I won't say anything to him, okay? I won't even mention my opinion on the babies." He whispered, his grip on her hand growing more gentle as he looked away.

"If you, at any point, don't feel comfortable in this house, I have no problem letting you stay over. You have no obligation in staying with him, understood? You're your own woman, and I would never compare you to mom. You're better than her by just existing." He teased, with a small smile, despite the joke being rather dark.

"He is a good guy," she repeated again, though had lost a lot more conviction in the statement than when Ivan had first entered her home. She did love Makai, and of course she loved their children, but it... was difficult. Of course it was. She had to share a home with a man who effectively ruined her hometown. He wasn't human and he sure as hell had shown that through his actions, made worse by how enjoyable he had found it all. He told her himself that if she hadn't slept with Arden and put everything into perspective, he would have just continued messing with people's lives.

"I... I just-- I love him, so much. The twins are adorable, they're my world, really. He just terrifies me, Ivan. Some teenagers threw eggs at the house last week, they did it all over the community. It woke the twins up, they started screaming, and he-- he was so furious. You've... never seen him in his real form, have you? It's.... it's frightening. He wanted to kill them, the teenagers I mean. And I'm expected to brush it off like it's nothing! The twins-- I can't deal with them, either. They cry all the time and I'm still in pain after carrying them-- I'm moaning way too much, ignore me. Everything's fine, I'm happy," she quickly promised, the sounds of Makai's nearing footsteps prompting her to cut off her honest admissions. She wiped the one stray tear from her cheek just before her fiance entered again, rushing to his side to offer him a kiss on the cheek-- anything to stop him growing suspicious of her flustered demeanour. "How about we go sit down at the table now? I'm sure dinner's ready..."

"Of course." He replied quietly, before getting to his feet slowly. Ivan wasn't stupid, and he certainly wasn't going to snap at the demon after what his sister had displayed. Instead, he offered a thin-lipped smile. "I'm certainly starving. Where's Azaiah? I'm sure he'd love to eat some food that wasn't cooked by me." He teased, while finally taking in the overly perfect decorating.

"How can you handle all of this space? It must be so much money paying for cooling. It looks like it doesn't matter, though." He admitted, before covering his arms with a heavy yawn.

"I assume she's told you about the twins? They'll fill the space, as will the other children we'll have. I do want more, of course. Why buy such a big house if it'd just be the four of us?" Smiled Makai, unaware that anything about his relationship with Laura had been discussed. He was usually very observant, but Laura also knew how to hide how she felt very well.

"...I don't think we should rush having more children, Makai. I... I think the twins are plenty, to be honest," answered said woman, having paled instantly at the very mention of more. She was barely coping with the twins. She hadn't done very well carrying them, then the births had been beyond horrendous, and now, trying to be a mother to them, was equally horrible. She loved them dearly, but she didn't connect very well. Whenever she tried, she just reminded herself of what they were-- and it put her off from holding them further. "Let's just... go eat food. I'm honesty starving and--"

"This house is fucking insane. Have you seen upstairs, Ivan? It's fucking amazing," burst Azaiah, striding over to his boyfriend and grinning wide. He may not be comfortable with Makai, but he could appreciate a good house with all the fancy furnishings. "They've got kids upstairs, they're pretty cute. Their room's bigger than my whole house back in Hell, I'm pretty sure..."​

"It really is pretty big. Almost unnecessarily so." He replied, while taking Azaiah's hand in his own. "Let's get to eating, yeah. I don't want to keep Laura from the twins any longer than she has to. I know that they're important and need plenty of care. By the way, if either of you two need a babysitter, I think Azaiah and I would love to watch them. I know you're not the best with children, but I also know that I'm pretty great at it, not to toot my own horn. You're both busy adults, after all, so... Anyway. I'd really like to see them, after dinner. Is that okay if I see them with Laura, alone?"

"You want to see them? Oh, but didn't you once say that Laura should never get pregnant because the child would be a monster? I always remembered that, Ivan. Wasn't very priestly of you-- but people change. Opinions change. You can see them, of course you can. Because I don't hold grudges. I've forgiven you, and you can't seem to forgive me. I'm acting more Christian than you are, and I do appreciate the irony," drawled Makai as he moved to sit at the head of the table in his dining room, practically inviting Ivan to come back at him with some snapped remark or insult. In fact, he welcomed it. He was trying to find a way to convince Laura she was better off not having Ivan in her life, and having him verbally shout and yell was a good place to start. Call it childish, but he did have it out for Ivan after what happened a year ago, and he did want to freeze him out of Laura's life, just when he thought he could be a part of it again.

What he hadn't expected was Laura to open her mouth.

"...Don't tease him like that, it's petty. He's already said he'd love to see them. He clearly doesn't think they're monsters. He's their uncle, he loves them," she quickly piped up, trying to sound as light and happy as she could, even if the venom in her words wasn't hidden very well.​

"They're my sister's kids, and I'd love to see them, no matter what. I've come to the terms that, if they make my sister happy, I'd rather treat them like family instead of acting petty and starting a fight." He replied calmly, while taking a seat opposite of the other, smiling all the while. After all, there was truth to his words, as was evident by his genuinely caring glance towards his sister. No matter all the times she treated him poorly, whether it be disrespecting him or his home, he also knew his sister loved him, and the feeling was mutual. If she wanted him to act at least somewhat normal towards the other, he'd simply hide his anger behind closed doors.

"Now, what's to eat? Nothing less than perfect, I imagine. If I was one to idolize wealth, I would scoff at anything less than high quality meat. I imagine that's what you're getting for my sister and the twins?"

"That's amusing, given I make your sister happy and you don't accept me. I don't want to ruin the nice atmosphere, but I know you can't stand being in my presence. I doubt you'll like my sons very much. They're a lot like me, but you can see them later I suppose. See how nice a man I am? I'll gladly let you see my sons, even if I think you're a deceitful little bastard," he continued, his smile never faltering despite the insults he was throwing out. Pouring himself some more wine as the starters of onion soup were brought, he did try and cease his little digs when realising Laura was uncomfortable with them.

"So, the wedding. You can fit us in, can you? You're not too busy at church? I would appreciate a nice little wedding, nothing extravagant. I wanted to go to Italy to get married, but Laura wanted a private ceremony in your less than glamorous church."

"...I'd rather do things like that, it's more personal," she explained with a faint smile, buttering herself a piece of bread and avoiding all eye contact with her brother out of sheer embarrassment. She hadn't meant to unravel like she had, releasing all her emotional turmoil. It would just give the impression she was unhappy, when that wasn't the case. She loved Makai more than any man she had been with, regardless of what he was. Sure, she could feel frightened occasionally, but she had failed to mention just how hard he worked to make it up to her. She did feel she had painted him out as a complete monster to her brother, and she was regretting that more as seconds passed.​