Between Loyalty and Love

Kegan blinked and chuckled. "Slow down, you'll choke on it," he said. "I'll go get more for you." He turned and went back downstairs to get more meet for the tiger. He returned soon and offered them to him as well.

Maidah grabbed that as well, wolfing it down hungrily, slowing down near the final bites and sighing as his stomach was full with real food for the first time in ages, a high pitched purr rumbling in his throat to show his happiness while his ears drooped back, now tired once again while he lazily lapped at his meat juice covered hands and licked around his lips, unable to get most of the grease on his face.

Kegan chuckled and went into the bathroom. He grabbed a wash cloth and wetted it under the sink before going back to Maidah. "Here," he said gently, and wiped the juices out of his fur. "There. Sleep well, Maidah," he told the tiger and shut the light off so he could sleep better.

"How is he," Terra asked from Kegan's doorway. She looked worried still.

"He is fine," he assured her. "He can breathe water, as it turns out. Sleep in my bed. I'll sleep on the couch downstairs," he told her gently. "But I need a shower first," he chuckled and entered his room to use the bathroom for a short while.

Maidah curled up under the covers with a pleased purr, quickly falling asleep.

It was late into the night when he whimpered and cried softly into his pillow, having a terrible nightmare about his master and his village, his body unconsciously pulling the moisture to himself in an attempt to protect him, a ball of water swirling peacefully around his body as the sun began to rise.

Terra woke early, as she did every morning. She peeked in to check on Maidah, who was encircled in a bubble of water. She looked at him curiously, but he had a peaceful enough expression on his face. She quietly made her way downstairs and saw Kegan snoring on the couch. She chuckled and went into his kitchen to begin making breakfast for the three of them.

There was a loud splash and a thud, a soft yelp resounding from the room.

Terra blinked and dashed upstairs. "Maidah, are you alright," she asked him before opening the door, blinking at what she saw.

Maidah laid on the floor, groaning and soggy, ears flattened against his head with a sigh. "I'm okay... Just a bad dream..." He grumbled and pushed himself up, the bed and floor sopping wet.

Terra came in and got him a towel. "Come on downstairs, sweetheart," she told him gently. "We'll wake Kegan up. I'm making breakfast, are you hungry?" She'd set all the sheets outside to dry on the line.

Maidah perked at the mention of food. "I can eat even more?" He asked, eyes lighting up.

She chuckled. "Of course you can. You can eat as much as you want here," she promised and helped him up. "We eat three times a day, normally. We'll go meet the king later today. He'll treat us to lunch."

Maidah's ears dropped back with aprehension. "The king?" He murmured. "Why do we have to go meet the king?" He asked, still a little fearful as some kings could be kind to everyone except for one person.

"This king is very nice," she assured him gently. "Kegan wouldn't stay in one kingdom for just anyone. He is free to leave whenever he likes, but he enjoys it here."

"Okay..." He murmured softly. "Food?" He asked, stomach growling loudly.

She smiled and lead him downstairs, where Kegan was still snoring on the couch. She giggled as she passed him to go into the kitchen. She made him up a plate of eggs, sausage, a muffin, and a banana. She handed him the plate with utensils. "Ask for seconds if you're still hungry," she smiled at him.

Maidah nodded and plopped at the table, once again eating with his hands and completely disregarding the utensils. He hummed in appreciation of the delightful meal. "Thank you Terra." He said softly around a mouthful of muffin.

"You're welcome," she chuckled. "But when we go see the king, you'll need to use the utensils," she told him gently.

"Oh..." Maidah drooped a little, jumping at the sudden knock on the door.

Hearing the knock, Kegan snorted awake and sat up, yawning. He shook his fur and went to the door to answer it. "Good morning," he said. "How can I help you?"

The young boy smiled. "Hello Mr. Fire Spirit! Papa sent me here to tell you the fields need to be burned today if you can make it." The boy said, little curled tail wagging.