Best video games of 2011!

I hope you're not expecting any reaction aside from the following:

View attachment 8045

It's my opinion and I'll keep it. My problem is more to do with the state of gaming journalism. Because Skyrim would be a masterpiece if it didn't have terrible combat and it didn't have so many glitches. Many sites have said the exact same about alpha protocol, saying it could have been a masterpiece if it had better combat and less bugs. However, Skyrim gets amazing praise and people kissing its ass everywhere it goes and a game like Alpha Protocol gets slammed into the ground. I think thats added to my hatred for this game. How the fuck can a "Flawed Masterpiece" get a 10 out of 10? Lets see: Graphics: 7. Sound 8. Gameplay 7.5. Replayability 10. The game deserves an 8 at max. If we looked at the technical side of it, it should drag this game down to a 6.

But after all this whining, I'm going to play Skyrim. Because like everyone else on the internet, im a complete and utter hypocrite who's just trying to get a response :p

It's my opinion and I'll keep it. My problem is more to do with the state of gaming journalism. Because Skyrim would be a masterpiece if it didn't have terrible combat and it didn't have so many glitches. Many sites have said the exact same about alpha protocol, saying it could have been a masterpiece if it had better combat and less bugs. However, Skyrim gets amazing praise and people kissing its ass everywhere it goes and a game like Alpha Protocol gets slammed into the ground. I think thats added to my hatred for this game. How the fuck can a "Flawed Masterpiece" get a 10 out of 10? Lets see: Graphics: 7. Sound 8. Gameplay 7.5. Replayability 10. The game deserves an 8 at max. If we looked at the technical side of it, it should drag this game down to a 6.

But after all this whining, I'm going to play Skyrim. Because like everyone else on the internet, im a complete and utter hypocrite who's just trying to get a response :p

Because the only way you get an open world that isn't buggy is to play an MMO where they regularly take down the server's for maintenance, Bethesda is forgiven for this because they support a HIGHLY active modding community for their two big seller games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls) meaning that the players can essentially fix any bugs they encounter. Skyrim's storytelling is also fantastic, because after a point you feel like you've been inserted into goddamn viking legend.

Now for my choices,

1, Terraria, holy fucking shit did they take the gloves off in the most recent update, even now with the newer top tier armor It's still far more brutal than it used to be....fucking unicorns

2, Dark Souls, I actually feel kind of like an elites when i talk about this game, because you have to be cut from a different cloth of gamer to get anywhere in this game. It fully engages your mind as details the tiniest of details could save or kill you if your not paying attention. Sound easy? try doing it when there's a thirty foot Minotaur swinging an axe of pwning at you, and all you have is a toothpick in comparison.

3, Warhammer 40k Space Marine: Anyone who says this is just a gears of war clone deserves to have their balls stapled to a cyclonic torpedo and fired at the next planet on the imperium's exterminatus list. It does an amazing job at immersing you into the 40k universe while balancing the power of a space marine captain against ever more challenging situations, and it has a decent storyline (albeit by 40k standards) to boot.

Slam List:

Deus Ex: After ten years and psyching myself up this game was terribly disappoint, what's toe point of having an open character progression if your just going to throw combat centric boss fights at me, I might as well play this like some Call of Failure/WoW noob. Second, they tried to paint augmentation as a serious political and societal issue, however as you progress through the game you begin to feel that this major detail of the game was half assed at best. Third, do not take this as an inability to make money from me but, Adam Jensen is supposed to be some high level corporate security guy right? Then why in the fuck does his boss not pay him a cent.

Saints Row 3: while it had all the ridiculousness that made Saints Row 2 great, it lacked the seriousness that also made Saints Row 2 great, while the game play was extremely fun the actual story was entirely to short and the diversions, which should have stayed at just that, now became required to get full control of the other gang's territory. Since when the fuck does throwing yourself in traffic do that?

Because the only way you get an open world that isn't buggy is to play an MMO where they regularly take down the server's for maintenance, Bethesda is forgiven for this because they support a HIGHLY active modding community for their two big seller games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls) meaning that the players can essentially fix any bugs they encounter. Skyrim's storytelling is also fantastic, because after a point you feel like you've been inserted into goddamn viking legend.

Except this is old hat for Bethesda! Making an open-world RPG is nothing new for them! This is what they do! They've been doing it for years across multiple systems, engines, and settings, and they still can't actually playtest their games and fix the crippling, show-stopping bugs! Relying on modders to fix their problems is bad game design.

That's why I don't think Skyrim should be in the running for Game of the Year. Sure, it's "ambitious," although not really because they've been making these games for so long, but it's made by a company that doesn't have any respect for their audience, which is probably right, because their audience is willing to put up with their buggy piles of crap and take it with a smile.

Unless by "Game of the Year" you don't mean the best game of the year, but rather the game which best represents the year, in which case I'll agree to it. A buggy Game of the Year to go with the year of the PSN outage. I can dig it.

Except this is old hat for Bethesda! Making an open-world RPG is nothing new for them! This is what they do! They've been doing it for years across multiple systems, engines, and settings, and they still can't actually playtest their games and fix the crippling, show-stopping bugs! Relying on modders to fix their problems is bad game design.

That's why I don't think Skyrim should be in the running for Game of the Year. Sure, it's "ambitious," although not really because they've been making these games for so long, but it's made by a company that doesn't have any respect for their audience, which is probably right, because their audience is willing to put up with their buggy piles of crap and take it with a smile.

Unless by "Game of the Year" you don't mean the best game of the year, but rather the game which best represents the year, in which case I'll agree to it. A buggy Game of the Year to go with the year of the PSN outage. I can dig it.

My thoughts exactly. And while modding is all well and good on pc (I can only play the game through modding, without mods the frame rate is atrocious later in the game), what about console players? My brother is playing the game on PS3, and the game moves like a slideshow. They patched that, howver, and due to the patch, you can no longer finish the dark brotherhood quests or the main questline.
And how nice that he compared it to an MMORPG because like an MMORPG, the combat is boring and the quests are pathetic (there are some great ones, but the majority of them are bland and boring.) What happened to the hard moral choices of Fallout?

How to say this properly

First, engaging your modding community does not make it bad game design neither does it make it great game design, Skyrim's world is in constant flux, events are happening in the game without your character being present, and will transpire without your knowledge because that's how the game was designed. Something completely new to even Bethesda, this system is completely unscripted, the encounters are truly random, which is how shit like this happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKQAHBRoz8
yes the game has it's bugs, but it has complete freedom, more so than any other open world game, even previous Bethesda games

I'm not going to touch on the statement on Bethesda no giving a crap about their audience because your half right, One half of the corporation is responsible for games like Hunted: The Demon's Forge, and Brink, while the other's sole responsibilities are are The Fallout and Elder Scrolls series

Now, the arguement about it's combat system is valid, you found it dissatisfying, I can accept that argument.

Noe here's the one I REALLY can't accept

In no Elder Scrolls game has there been hard moral choices, that isn't what the elder scrolls is about, what it is about is you, sword in hand going against the world and forging your own legend, and in some cases even ascending to godhood. You are not good, you are not bad, you are you That is it. Even fallout, morality was a minimal factor, it was still about how you dealt with the situation, based on what you the player, wanted to do. If you don't like the game for not having that feature, play something else, but don't try and fault it for not trying to be something it isnt.

And let's not forget

You brought up Fallout in comparison for it's superiority.....

Really

That game won game of the year in spite of it's thousands of bugs, it was so buggy players made it a pastime to find them all there were that many.

and my final argument, Hardware

Just because it has a crappy frame rate on YOUR computer is no fault of the game, I know several people who play it on even older model PC's and have no such issue.
While I have no idea what spec's your running on your computer, but perhaps some troubleshooting might have fixed that. Second, I personally play the game on PS3 and know several people who do the same and we've had no such "slideshow" effect as you call it, so it might be his disc or his PS3 as well.

Now, I will agree that while Skyrim is not game of the year material, you shouldn't

Please refrain from argumentative behavior and respect eachother's opinions.

Thank you.

I'm in an odd spot. Having been financially challenged for a year now I can't really afford to buy games. I had to rely on what I could scrape up, what my old man happened to buy, and things that have been completed from beta status. So that boils down to four games for me.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Minecraft
Terraria
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Yes, sadly I've been deprived of things like Skyrim, Battlefield, and Batman. So honestly I have little choice but to give my GotY pick to:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Runners up:

2nd - Terraria: As its been said already, Re-Logic pulled the gloves off late in the year and turned what I had mastered into something soul crushingly hard for those who went into hard mode ill-prepared. And that includes...one...two...EVERYONE.

3rd - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Okay, okay, okay, haters, please, back off and bear with me. Normally I probably wouldn't give CoD a spot here. But the plain simple fact of the matter is I consider Modern Warfare 3 a sort of return to form. I was NOT satisfied with Black Ops and enjoyed Modern Warfare 2 more than it. MW3 was a turn back to what I liked with some tweaks. I don't feel like I bought MW2.5 because...well...I didn't. My Dad did, so what do I have to complain about?