Best Summer Memory (2016 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Poe Dameron

Original poster
Personally for me, this summer was very memorable, and it felt more like a "summer" to me, more than in recent years, and it felt a lot like those summers in the days I would be returning to school about this time of year. Maybe it was because I was out a lot, and did some traditional summertime activities, and even did some travelling to some very warm/hot places (Las Vegas, Arizona, Okinawa).

So, what was your best memory from this summer? Stories, (and pictures), please share 'em with the Iwaku class!

• Love
Reactions: Kitti and Mari
Well...guess I'll have to wait till December to participate in this thread then -.-

I mean, I can always pull up some events that happened at the start of the year...Yeah I think we'll go with that.

Well tbh, I didn't do much during the Summer holidays, but I did go to an art exhibition where I saw some of Andy Warhol's and Ai Weiwei's artworks. They were...pretty interesting o.o

I would show some pics but I cbf :|

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Poe Dameron
Finally finding my toadstools. <3 This year I made my short term goal to find a toadstool (Amanita muscaria) once I started hiking/mushroom hunting. It took a while, but in July I finally found one. Since then I've seen many of them, but I still love them every time.

RCt2Meh.png

A0czs79.png

My next (delicious) goal is to find Chicken of the Woods. Amanita muscaria is gorgeous, but you certainly don't want to put it in your mouth. Chicken of the Woods is neat looking, but most importantly, it's tasty.

Edit: OH GOSH, how could I forget easily the best thing about this summer? Meeting our woods' resident Barred Owls! I was so excited the first time I saw them, and we've met a few times since then. The first time was totally magical: we were walking back to the car and right there in the middle of the path were two Barred Owls. Eventually they flew into the trees, and a third one came to join. It was incredible. I adore owls, so this was a very magical moment for me.

Not the greatest picture, but here is one of them:

5KOkvIr.png

• Bucket of Rainbows
Edit: OH GOSH, how could I forget easily the best thing about this summer? Meeting our woods' resident Barred Owls! I was so excited the first time I saw them, and we've met a few times since then. The first time was totally magical: we were walking back to the car and right there in the middle of the path were two Barred Owls. Eventually they flew into the trees, and a third one came to join. It was incredible. I adore owls, so this was a very magical moment for me.

Not the greatest picture, but here is one of them:

5KOkvIr.png

That's amazing! As one who (recently) discovered the charm of owls, I'd give your post ten buckets of rainbows if I could. As it is I can only reciprocate with another owlly moment from me (though not during the summer):

1934246_10153316775371331_4236199120871732553_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mari
This summer's goal was to go stargaze for the first time, right in time for St. Lovro's Tears (shooting stars). We went to the other side of town and drove up the hill in the dead of the night. On the way we saw two foxes, a doe and a wild boar! ^^
Sadly the moon was too bright so we haven't seen many stars, but it was an adventure nonetheless. Granted, we were thoroughly dizzy from the ride when we returned.

We also went to the Provence region in France and it was beautiful! Sadly didn't see many lavender fields because they were too far up north (and because we arrived right in the middle of the season), but it was pretty nonetheless. ^^

338fe90830974a5fbe81d6be6a81f79f.png

That was meeeeee with my shitty hairstyle lmao
We went to the Lavender Museum in Coustellet where we learnt the differences between lavandin and pure lavender. Lavandin actually has a stronger smell than lavender!

We also visited the other towns surrounding Avignon and Coustellet, one of them being Gordes, which was absolutely gorgeous and cozy!
0b5409c168b5489d92789d53006533f1.png

4de65cb072c7452497690d0c7c0febbd.png

I've also taken LOAAAADS of pictures of the stone walls there because I thought I'd use them as textures... So just give me a shout if you need them? ^^"

I think the most memorable memory from France (for me, at least) was when we visited Avignon. You could just sit there all day, just watching the people without getting bored! Sadly I haven't got many photos from then but I've a few recordings.

Other than France - which was absolutely fun and infinitely better in the summer than winter let me tell you - we've also been in Mali Lošinj, a little town on an island that we visit almost yearly! I can never get enough of that place, and this year's been even better because not only did I make a lot of new friends but I also managed to capture some beautiful photos!

And Lošinj is always memorable, in one way or another.

20160821_203102.jpg

You can see the rain falling over the sea!

20160821_202948.jpg

That's a cruiser ship in the distance. ^^

20160821_203720.jpg

The town from a hill.

And lastly, a panorama (a bit dark because there were no brightness filters available for that kinda photo).
20160821_203046.jpg

Yo, I'ma be honest here: Pokemon Go.

This game felt like a real adventure for so many reasons. I feel like most summers in recent years have primarily involved me staying inside and just doing more of all my usual hobbies -- which is cool and all, but there's something a lot more thrilling about tracking down rare pokemon in real-world locations. This game gave me a reason to go outside and explore the town that I live in, all while basically living the experience of my favorite game series, so that's pretty awesome.

Making new friends and returning back to Canada after living in a third world country for six months. It was amazing for me to finally use and appreciate all the things we take for granted living in North America, like clean water and a hot shower.

For this summer the most fun and memorable event was a beach party at Fujisawa with my relatives and parents. It had been a long time since we had gotten together in a fun moment and place like that, and the food (and drink) was great and in a high quantity! I think that is the best memory I have of this summer.

• Thank You
My own memorable moment this summer was a visit to Toshimaen Water Park. It was a blast, and it brought me back to my high school days when I would be going to the pool or beach alone or with equally geeky friends in Hawaii. This time, it was with a lady who says she's my girlfriend, and it's in Japan.

The water slides and food were great as well, and it was a fun and pleasant summertime atmosphere at Toshimaen.

14202773_10153679889011331_5173452297141630285_n.jpg

It was so fun, I plan to duplicate this moment/memory next year!

• Love
Reactions: Mari
Definitely a memorable moment was getting absolutely curbstomped in a soccer/football match against a bunch of Mexican kids at a children's home I assisted at. No pictures because the moment was too shameful to be recorded.
They also schooled us in basketball.
Not volleyball though, we won that.
We totally could've beat them in ice hockey.

Wandering around Copenhagen and eating ice cream, it was just a really fun (and super busy) day.
I don't take very many selfies but I have this picture I took walking around.
ggrB6Ldl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.