Best book you've ever read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to read a lot. I got way too lazy to continue though. I found myself enjoying the Hunger Games, Maximum Ride and LOTR, however, they're all probably considered childish by now. Seems to me the only thing adults read are books about the holocaust from 32 thousand different perspectives.
You must not know many adults who read O.O

I work in a cafe and I often see people 40+ coming in with romance novels, biographies (non-war covers), spiritual/self-help books, there's even one guy who's in his forties who reads Dragonlance, I geek out with him about it every time he comes in.

Personally my favourite book(s) will always be Lord of the Rings

Reactions: Rainjay
Oh, I also enjoyed House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

I'm a fan of Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park books, those are probably the best I've read. I like most of his earlier work, actually. Even though A Case of Need had its flaws, I learned a lot of medical terms and got to read about a really interesting mystery. I ought to reread Andromeda Strain one of these days...

The books that came out posthumously gave me mixed feels. *wistful sigh*

Like the rest, I have a hard time choosing just one...

Can I give you a few for each type?

Children's:
The Dark is Rising Series by Susan Cooper
Percy Jackson by Rick Riodan
Anything by Ally Carter
Artemis Fowl
Nancy Drew
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Peter and the... By Dave Berry

Classics:
Anything by Ray Bradbury
Dante's Inferno
Jane Austin

Fantasy:
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkin
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick
The obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory
Green Rider by Kirsten Britain
Terry Brooks
Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron

Mystery/Action:
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Dirk Pitt Novels by Clive Cussler
James Rollins (I prefer his stand alone novels to his series)

Scifi:
Gale Greeno
Issac Asmiov

War Novels:
Tom Clancy
Fall of the Malazan Empire by Steven Erickson

Urban Fantasy:
Mercedes Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Rob Thurman

Other:
Agatha H by Philip Folgio

And those are all the ones I'm going to take time to write. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rainjay
More disgusted by the fact I had to use "Book" in my image search to get this.
Ender's_game_cover_ISBN_0312932081.jpg

Ooh ooh ooh! Pick me! =D

These two series are Teen/Young Adult fiction, but they're still good:

The Shadow Children Series - a book series placed in a futuristic world where it's illegal to have more than two children.
The Missing Series - a book series about time travel and children missing from history who were accidentally dropped in the 21st century and adopted.
Both are by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Then there's Beauty, by Robin McKinely. A beautiful retelling of Beauty and the Beast, doesn't stray far from the original Grimm's tale.

Artemis Fowl. Just that series in general is hands down the best set of books I've ever read. Eoin Colfer's writes some great books, I own most of them, but his Artemis Fowl series is by far his best work in my eyes. Though his new W.A.R.P. series is looking rather promising at the moment.

It just so happens that my copy of the graphic novel version of The Opal Deception, possibly my favorite book of all time, came in today~
imagejpg1_zpse269e1b4.jpg

I've not read that many books in my time. Maybe fifty or so out of my twenty-five years of walking around? But to be honest, what I have read... it's a very hard choice to pick a single book, but the first which comes to mind is "Moby Dick" and "A Christmas Carol". I loved the character Captain Ahab more than anything. He was the perfect antagonist in my eyes. He had the mindset of pure vengeance, his heart eroded by the sea, a mind turned away from the light of the world and ambition unmatched. Never have I wished to first hand witness a fictional character more in the flesh and bone, bearing witness to such madness. Truly Herman Melville captured insanity and madness in its prime through the depiction of Captain Ahab.

As for a Christmas Carol, I can't help but enjoy the tale of suffering instilled upon a man who payed no attention to those he considered those lesser than him a commodity. His visits from ghostly specters, particularly Bob Marley, revealed just how deep of an abyss Scrooge lingered upon between damnation and redemption. Through his journey which seemed to last for more than a single night one could feel every bit of the past he'd carried for so long had weight beyond what he could have ever conceived; links of chains tugging at his soul from decades before which only led to a cold heart which lay trapped in ice during a season where man and woman, brother and sister, lesser and greater would express love for one another and the love that connects so many through this weary world of ours. He is shown life and death, as if in the eyes of eternity it was but a trickle of small stones to small to be noticed, but in his finite mortality, it dawned upon this man who he was, rather than just redemption; shown how much a random act of kindness can move through the years just as the chains attached to his tired soul would reach through time.

To boot, this is coming from a guy who has seen... countless versions of "A Christmas Carol" and even its parodies just for the sake of it. But there will only be one book which defines the story as it was, as it should be and always will be. Its just that Dickens books is also a reflection of times and observations in his life and speaks from the soul.

I apologize, I seem to have lost myself.

And Windsong, I understand you there. Loved the movie, I really did, but it seems more people are concerned over visual moving media than the power of words these days.

More disgusted by the fact I had to use "Book" in my image search to get this.
Ender's_game_cover_ISBN_0312932081.jpg

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate Dicamllio was one of my favorite books in third grade, and still love it to this day.
A little later I got into The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, even though I still haven't read the entire series. Those are really good.
In 8th grade I read Anthem, by Ayn Rand which is phenomenal. And I haven't read it, but I hear Atlas Shrugged by the same author is really good.
In the same year I read The Odyssey by Homer and even though I haven't read it, I'm really excited to read the somewhat sequel of it, The Iliad.
Earlier this year, just before the movie came out, I read The Fault In Our Stars by John green. An amazing story, possibly my favorite, and am currently reading Paper Towns by him as well.
I'm also currently in the midst of reading The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolken, which is very good. and even though I haven't read them yet, I've seen the movies and the story is very good, so you should also check out The Lord Of The Rings series, by the same author.
Other then books I've read myself, I've also heard Ender's Game is really good. My brother talks about it non stop.

Hmm....
I don't really read that much ewe (I know it's a bad habit)
I prefer writing instead---

but um...
Best book...?
(Do Creepypastas and x readers count omg n-n)

Dang-it ummmm XD;
Does Homestuck count OwO

Even though it's not a book-- I don't really enjoy reading most things like Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.
I only read Creepypastas, x Readers, the Homestuck comics, and fanfictions (including mine)

OwO

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. Technically a collection of short stories, but fuck me, Robert E. Howard was an amazing writer.

There's not enough time in a day to list the best books I've ever read, but if I had to narrow it down, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King! I could read them every day all day.

Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman is one of the most engaging books I've read, as well as the Ender's Game series. I havent watched the movie yet, I'm afraid I'd be really disappointed.

Artemis Fowl. Just that series in general is hands down the best set of books I've ever read.

Yes! Artemis Fowl was fantastic. I need to get my hands on the graphic novels some day, as well as the ones for The Supernaturalist...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tipsytotodile
I don't really have an absolute favorite book. Even the ones I consider favorites I see too many flaws or certain unappealing chapters and/or characters to be able to put them above any of my other favorites. So instead of having one absolute favorite I have a lot of favorites which are good and bad in their own ways.

These are some of the book(serie)s I love and a small rant about them:

Graceling (+ Fire & Bitterblue):
An enjoyable book series of three books about three different girls in a fantasy world whom have to find out who they are while battling what the world throws at them. (Oh, and they have super powers which makes people afraid or hate them). I thought the first book was the most enjoyable one, but not the best one. While it gave me the overall best enjoyment, it did have the worst flaw of all. The bad guy only appeared in a few chapters and only for a few moments in every chapter. I love a good bad guy, and was pretty sad that we didn't get to see more of him. The second book was my least favorite mainly because I first didn't understand the world since I was used to the world in the first book. There was nothing wrong with the characters nor the plot, and while I did like it, it still didn't entertain me as much as the first book. The third book had the best plot, though I think it went in the wrong direction towards the end, but it did fall flat on the characters. They were so many so in the end it only felt as if I knew two or three characters and those who had been in previous books. I did enjoy it, but it happened that I had no idea who characters were because they hadn't appeared in a while.

The spooks apprentice (The last apprentice) (A third name I can't remember):
I have only read the three first books and are now on the forth as an audiobook as I haven't been able to find that specific book for the past two years since I started to read them. (Which have been quite annoying. How can a library have book 1-3 and book 5-6 and totally skip out on the 4th one?) So far I enjoy the series, and I haven't found anything I dislike about it yet. But since I'm only on the 3rd CD of the 4th book I can't say that I adore it yet. Many book series starts to go down once they reach a certain number (looking at you septimus heap) so I might start to dislike it at some point, or I might not. We'll see. But I think it has a good story, good characters (even though the main character is twelve), and a good amount of paranormal beings which are well explained and differs a bit from what we're used to. I enjoy the series so far, and if nothing drastically changes in the next few books, then it will keep being on my favorite list.

Lux (#1. Obsidian #2. Onyx #3. Opal) (Reading #4. origin)
This series is a guilty pleasure. I'm complaining about the main characters all the time, but I can't stop reading. I like the plot, I like the conflicts in the later books, and I like that it's more complicated than 'they're evil, we're good' which is what they make us believe in the beginning of the series. I enjoy it, and I think it has a good story, but the characters are a bit... annoying and at times stupid. They might be enjoyable for some, but not for me. But the story is good enough for me to still put it on my favorite list. And there are some really entertaining characters, like mister traitor all the way who you always will think have decided to do the right thing in the end until he stabs you in the back for the third time in a row. I just like bad guys xD

I have more books on my list but I won't write them down now. I might post again tomorrow. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.