Beneath Deshenekh - D&D 4e dungeon crawl.

The others had been gone for minutes already and yet, no alarm had been raised. Celcius was impressed against her will at the skill of the endeavor; a large scale jailbreak like this usually ended badly for the majority of the escapees, she knew. She had seen it firsthand before, as soldiers would utilize lethal force if the prisoners wouldn't come quietly. Celcius settled in deeper within the little comfort the rags she had used as blankets gave her, waiting for the guards to come and check on them. But even as she did, she heard an approaching shuffling. It seemed she wasn't the only one who noticed the delay of the alarm.

"So tell me", the human casually spoke, "why are you staying when freedom is a corridor away? Why are you staying when freedom is a corridor away. The shifter has a plan thats going to get us out gear back and everything" he inquired. Celcius merely gave him a withering glance in response and leaned back. She a female half-orc lean against the neighboring cell's bars as she tried to convince the resident to come along. It was Ramona, the chatty one from a number of cells down from Celcius' own. "You're a champion of light and justice. They're suffering without you there. I was just outside: darkness and falsehood are rampant. The world needs you" the half-orc said. Celcius shook her head at these words. Celcius herself was too experienced in the world of half-truths, having lived with Eladrin and Elves for so long, not to recognize a blatant one as this.

"Darkness may run rampant, yes, and the world could always use more champions of truth, but where darkness abounds, so the protectors of light shall rise up against it. How can we, the so called 'champions' lead the cause if we call ourselves above the law? 'Without the law, darkness would remain completely unchecked. Thus, how can we allow ourselves to be above the law, else the darkness within run rampant in our hearts'?" Celcius recited the last from her lessons with her master, a great sage of the arcane arts.

Once again, she settled into her blankets and began to meditate, resuming her waiting for the guards.

Manox shook his head as he pulled the guard onto one of the cots in the cell opposite Celsius' before relieving Raymona of hers as she was obviously busy and pulling the captain onto the other cot. "Well if you uphold the laws then why are you here? Seems to me your laws and their laws had a disagreement. So whose laws are you upholding?"

Is was out of genuine interest that he asked having no wish to affect the Eldarin's decision but his eyes meeting only blanket he sighed. "Well nice to meet you but I've learned all I can here and its time to move on." he turned and walked back past Raymona. "Don't worry I'll get your gear, and your 'friend's' too if hes joining us." he promised before heading back to the guardroom and joining Kallen. "So you're the only with the officers' stripes I'll let you do the talking... sir."

Cebas was confused. Quite confused. This was not a a new thing, for Cebas had lived his life in a world where light and justice were the only absolutes and sitting in a jail cell that smelled vaguely like vomit had no place in it. He listened to the arguments of the two women, and thought long and hard to himself. He had been staying quiet, he had thought a jailbreak was a bad idea. It was illegal for one thing, and Cebas did try to do things that weren't illegal. It was part of being a paladin-knight. You were assuredly not a lawbreaker. He sighed, and stood in his cell, looking at Ramohna with curious blue eyes. She was quite pretty he realized, and looked rather tough. He wondered if she was an honorable sort, or if she used her strength for vile reasons - to oppress, to conquer, to destroy - and her kindness was simply a facade.

The young man brushed aside a piece of his blonde hair. He looked up at Ramohna, and thought about it for a moment. Maybe he could help this group of thieves and murderers realize their evil ways and help them see the light. He nodded his head, and his voice came out, "I will gladly help you, milday," He bowed his head, "I hope that we can pursue a path of righteousness - together." He gestured to the door, "Normally, I wouldn't want to leave the rightful hands of the law, but I think Lord Pelor will allow me to make an exception."

Zhern simply stood in the corner, absorbing all of the information being tossed around, silently letting it swim in his head. The two humans would distract the guards, while himself, and Skinner scaled the wall with the help of Ramona, our friendly musclebound friend. Toss the stuff up to us, the rest of the group follows, and all will be well... that is, IF it all goes of without a hitch. In his experience, things very rarely went exactly as planned, even by the best of genius' and tacticians. He steeled himself and began to run over his spells in his mind, in case split second decisions were needed.

After a decent bit of mental rehearsing and preparation, he strode over to Manox, his boots giving a small dull thud on the cold cobblestone floor. "Manox, was it? I thought I'd give you a basic idea of my bag. Should be a leather bag with most of my belongings, should be a little singed here and there on it. As for my other things... Some leather armor, grey and black, and a rod with some etchings on it. Should have a garnet on the tip." he told Manox, making sure to speak delibrately and clearly. He wasn't going to leave his stuff behind, regardless if there's 2 or 12 guards out there; he'd drop them all to get his gear.

... How she hated cities. The overcrowding. The stench. The corrupted sense of justice. The greed. The ambitious hunger for power. The blatant disrespect for nature ... All of it. The cloaked figure drew the hood further over her face with one hand, the hanging crossbow thumping against her thigh. Her other hand held a spear but the blade had been wrapped to shut the mouths of the idiots passing as the law here.

Alauniira felt more at home in the forest and open land, dealing with creatures concerned with something other than themselves. She scowled. Nothing good ever came out of business done in the city and yet, here she was. The bird had given her a message to meet someone. The "someone" had better have a damn good reason to have summoned her here. She paused in front of a tavern. The sign read Mariner's Haven. ... Eh. Why did they bother giving these forsaken places names? You saw one tavern, you saw them all.

The drow entered, taking in the few patrons, searching for the one she needed to find. The sooner she was out of here, the better.

Halfway through his drink, Bern looked up to see someone new walk in. Judging by the hood, this person apparently didn't want to be known, because it certainly wasn't raining out there. That was never a good sign, but it really wasn't Bern's business to go meddling in other people's affairs. All he knew was that so far as he could remember, he hadn't made an enemy of anyone in high places during his military career, so if an assassination was going to take place, it probably wasn't going to be him.

"Ain't polite to stare," the bartender said, making Bern jump in his seat. The mercenary simply grunted and nodded, and went back to appreciating his drink. Still, even as he sat, he felt his hand inch towards the shield leaning against his chair, just in case the hooded figure used that crossbow at her side. Maybe tonight would be interesting after all.

After making sure he and Manox looked the part, Kallen, his face devoid of his usual smile, opened the door to the courtyard and peered out. Seeing no guards nearby, he headed out as if nothing was odd, Manox following closely behind. About halfway to the armory where their gear was being kept, two real guards came up to Kallen and his partner in crime. "Excuse me, sir." The two guards salute. "I don't recognize you, Captain. Did you just transfer?" Kallen's smile returned to his face. "Why yes, I did. Um, sorry to bother you, but I seem to have become a little lost. You see, there's a prisoner that I've been ordered by Lady Galatha to release and need to retrieve their gear, but I can't seem to find the armory. Would either of you happen to know where it is?"

The guards look at eachother. They're both very young and under their uniforms appear near identical, brothers if not twins. One of them salutes while the other looks in the direction the 'captain just came from. "You're not Galatha's own." he says, "Hope you've got your paperwork, Dnek hates how the Lady's men always act like they're above things like procedure."

He leads the way his brother following to the central door, you can see from the outside the prison has three buildings joined by a wall and all on the same side of the courtyard. They central building is the only one with windows larger than slits and with a second floor. Light shines though the windows and most of the building seems to be a single room, as you get closer you see its a communal barracks for the guards. The guard pushes the door pressing the latch with his thumb and it opens not having been locked. You enter the communal barracks where several of the bed are occupied by men either trying to get as much sleep as possible before their shift or in one case repairing a rip in his tunic, but the men don't stop and instead head door next to the staircase and knock three times.

"Heres the person you want to see." the guard says opening the door and greeted by a surly face lit by a dim lantern. "Galatha's men come to get the prisoner's things."

The man inside stood, he was short and didn't wear a uniform like the others, it takes you a second to realize hes a dwarf in armor modified from a set made for a human. "These ain't Galatha's boys." he said gruffly looking at Kallen and Manox."

The guard stepped in again "Shes not here yet, must have sent these two grow the watch."

The dwarf nods mumbling something under his breath reaching to his desk to pick up a set of keys. "So shes getting things ready afore shes ever 'ere." he casts a look as the two as the guards turn to leave. "Tell you summin I'd like to meet 'er and give 'er a piece on mt mind." he scratches his beard closing his office door behind in. "So which of you has the paperwork?"

The druid paused just feet away from Bern. "What are you looking at?" she muttered. She walked away and sat down at a table against the wall with her back to it. She liked being able to see things, even if she did have this hood down so low. A part of her argued that her crossbow and spear were too obvious. The other half told the first to shut up. Better prepared than sorry later. She kept her ears out for trouble. The message had been for her to meet someone so all she could do was wait. She didn't want to but she certainly couldn't leave until she found out what was so important. Asking a druid to meet you in such a crowded city. Any city! The world truly had gone mad.