"All the men share a hall, so there's no... rooms as such. It's just a hall with our beds in, so... sleeping is pretty difficult because there's always someone who wants to start trouble. I just put my head under the pillow and block it out. You'll get used to it. The medicine helps. It's helped me a lot," he admitted as he rested his head on his hand, his own lethargy starting to kick in.

Admittedly, the medicine didn't cause that slowness in him; it simply contributed to it. However, he had grown to feel comfortable with the medicated feeling. It was far more normal for him than being off pills, which he hadn't done since moving with a foster family, and that experience wasn't the nicest. He therefore equated trouble with being off his pills, and that was his excuse for wanting to continue to take them. He insisted there was nothing wrong with him, but the pills had definitely become a crutch to help him through the day. At least then he could excuse his slowness on them.

"It'll be okay, we could get beds next to each other and talk when I can't get no sleep. I used to have my own room in the orphanages so sharing a hall with every guy here is... hard, it's real hard. The Doc says that he hasn't got the rooms to store us all in and it'd be unfair to give some people their own rooms and leave everyone out, but my friend says that the Doc's just trying to save money for himself. It's a lot easier keeping everyone in one hall."

"Does he even talk to the patients? That's a load of horse shit, you know that," Oliver replied in disbelief before sitting up in an attempt to keep the dizzying effect at bay. He wasn't going to let some arrogant doctor pretend to know anything about him or his brother, and he sure as hell wasn't going to do what the man asked. If that meant going against what his body asked of him, then that was what he was going to do.

"Fine. I'll handle sleeping in a room full of fucking maniacs if it means I can look after you," he decided after a moment of silence and contemplation, though it was hard for him to really focus in that moment. "I'm going to talk to him - oi, where the hell is the doctor? I doubt he's off his ass, he's probably just at his desk rolling in money."

"That... isn't a good idea," Maria protested quietly. "If the doctor sees you making a mess, he'll hurt you. I know Wesley cares about you and I don't want him to be hurt because of your stupidity. So, please, just... relax? I can find him for you, if that's what you'd like, no need to get up." She explained warily, her accent thick and muddling a few things as she tried to speak quickly, especially when watching Oliver get to his feet.

"...Why do you want to talk to him, you're just gonna cause trouble, Oli. You aren't gonna talk to him calmly, he ain't the sort of man you can have a conversation with. I've tried and he just calls me brain-dead or dumb, so... so you'll get insulted or hurt and I don't want that, not when you've just got here. He might send you away and I'll never find you," the younger brother grimaced. He understood Oliver's need to talk to Josiah, and he was genuinely quite proud that his brother had the confidence to go and do that... but that didn't mean it was the right option. However, he knew he could hardly stop him from seeking the man out. If he didn't do it now, he'd just do it another time when Wesley wasn't around.

"Leave him do this himself, Maria. You can sit with me and... read some passages from the Bible? Even if you speak in French, I don't mind. I like your voice, it's calming and... even if I don't understand French, I still like to hear you," he smiled, doing his best to distract the woman. If Oliver had to talk to Josiah, it was best done in private or risk starting a riot when other patients inevitably got involved in any potential argument. Besides, any chance to sit with Maria alone, he was happy to take. "...Be quick, Oli. I... I want to catch up properly and... be around you. Don't get 'ya self hurt, okay?"

"I'm not going to get myself hurt, I'm pretty tough," he countered before pushing off and making his way out of the activities room. That left Maria alone with Wesley who quickly took up the opportunity.

"Of course I'll read to you. I'll try my best in English, okay?" She quickly replied as she neatly sat beside the man, her cheeks red in both excitement and bashfulness. Neatly skimming the book, she dared to take Wesley's hand while holding the Bible neatly in the other.

"Have you been reading any of it yourself?" She questioned, her voice soft as she scooter closer - mostly to hide their hand holding. "Don't be afraid to try it yourself, yeah?... that being said, I do love the fact that you want to do it with me."

"I've tried," he admitted after a few seconds of silence. He had contemplated lying, like he had in the past, about his ability to read. Having wanted to impress her, he had lied and pretended that he could read a whole passage... and it had only caused embarrassment when he was put to the test. Sure, he was embarrassed by the fact eh could barely recognise his own name on paper, but being honest about it was always better than fabrication.

"I mean, I really have tried, it's just hard. I'm not gonna give up, though. It's kinda something I need to do and you can help me-- and I got Oliver back now. He can help me, he's real smart. He was always the smartest when we were kids, I think. Maybe that's just 'cos I was with him the most, but he always seemed like the smart one," he praised, biting his lip to stop the smile growing more. He was easily at his most happy right now. He had had years of feeling like he had nobody, and all of a sudden, he had a girl in his life he really liked and cared about, and his older brother who promised him they'd be home soon. It was difficult not to feel optimistic.

"I don't know how you're still here, though. Don't you hate it here? It ain't a cheerful place, is it? You could be somewhere that's all bright and happy, where doctors are nice. You're way too good for this place, y'know? You ain't appreciated here by the Doc as much as you should be, I reckon. It makes me... real angry."

"Well, they pay me alright and... and they hired me, which is important," she explained with a nervous chuckle. "This is what I want to do, you know? I want to help people and this place needs a lot of help. I may only be one person but my mama always says that it's better to put effort into something that seems impossible and challenge yourself rather than just take the easy road," she explained rather proudly. Setting the book in between both of them, she offered a smile.

"It's a bonus that you're here too, you know?" She added in a whisper. "Oliver too, I suppose. He seems like a troublemaker but i want people to look after you, Wesley. You're very special to me, a-and... I want you to be protected by the horrible people here. Maybe when you get out, I'll quit? I don't know how my papa will feel about it but I'll tell him what happened."

"I wouldn't want you to quit when I get out, I don't want you to do that for me-- but if you do, you could always come and help out on my Momma's farm? I don't remember it too well, but I'm sure she'd appreciate another woman around the place. She has me and five other sons, it'd sure be nice if she had another gal around to talk to, I think. I always remember her being super sweet to me, probably more than my other brothers. I'm not exactly... brave like they are," he shrugged, quite happy to point out and wear his flaws. He could put on some bravado and pretend that he was perfect and hard, but he didn't have it in him to pretend to be something he wasn't. He knew he was reserved and much more cautious than his headstrong brothers were - and he was fine with that.

That said, he didn't recall anything from his past. He didn't remember how his mother had so much faith in him, that one day he would break out of that mindset and make her proud, like his brothers had. Even if he remembered all of that and was horrified by it, it was hard not to take a little inspiration from his mother's complete confidence in him... even if that confidence was based solely around him defending the family in less than legal ways.

"I'll be out soon, and we can sort out... whatever future we have when I'm free from this place. I want you in my life, obviously. I never met someone like you before, I don't ever wanna lose that."

"I've never met anyone like you, either," she gushed affectionately before daring to take Wesley's hand and offer it a small kiss. It may not mean much to most people but it was the most adventurous she had gone with the man. She had, had full-on kisses before but the circumstances were different in her eyes.

"Okay, lets do some reason. We can work on getting you out in time," she reassured quietly. "Maybe one day you could read to me? That would be sweet," she offered hopefully before reaching to adjust the man's hair. "We have to work towards that, though. That'll be our goal, right? It's good to set goals."

Whilst Wesley eagerly soaked up as much attention and time as he could with Maria, he wasn't so focused on her that he could forget all about his brother. He didn't want him to head off to seek out Josiah's office, worried that he'd only get punished for it. The punishment might be physical, or it might be emotionally and psychologically testing - a few nights in The Hole would sort any troublemaker out. Having experienced it for a mere few hours when he first arrived, he didn't want the same fate to lie waiting for Oliver.

Josiah, however, wasn't that angry at Oliver's impromptu arrival at his grand office. He would usually have taken the arrival as rude, given he hadn't asked for Oliver's presence, but it was a timely arrival and one he welcomed in with a strangely polite smile. He had been browsing Oliver's file in detail again and it was only when going through it properly that he realised he and Wesley were related. It had been a complete oversight, not connecting the two because he really didn't pay too much attention to Wesley's paperwork when it arrived. Now, however, digging his file up and reading through Oliver's, he finally realised everything.

"...Oliver, come in. I think we need a chat," he drawled from his desk as he calmly set the cigar down and retrieved the mug of black coffee from his side. "I had no idea you were part of the infamous Wood family up in Salado. I've been informed by the sheriff up there all about your family when Wesley was admitted. Now, I had no idea you were his brother when we took you in. I would never have accepted you here if I knew that. I'm willing to keep you here for treatment, but I can sense that you're a troublemaker. You're a Wood. Trouble's basically your nature, isn't it?"

"Maybe you should have done better research," He challenge before tossing his finished cigarette onto the floor and dig it into the carpet with his foot. Walking over to the desk, he casually folded his arms while skipping the papers on the doctor's desk. With a completely straight face, he scoffed. His whole aura seemed to change in an instant.

"Don't you dare hurt Wesley, understood?" He demanded slowly, though his voice was far from threatening. "I have no problem bashing your brains against a wall, doc. If you keep him safe and keep those fucking pills out of his system, well... you've read my file, yeah? Leave these boys alone."

"I wasn't the one to introduce those pills into his system, he was first provided with medication when he was a child. I'm simply continuing the dosage. All the notes say he needs medicating. I wouldn't be a very good doctor if I took him off pills he's been diagnosed as needing now, would I?" The doctor replied casually, resting back against his leather chair. He was being slightly inventive with the truth. It was true that Wesley was already on those pills when he arrived at the hospital, but there was nothing to prove he needed to be medicated. A simple exam would show that, while he had a few issues, he didn't need to be medicated for it.

His foster father had taken it upon himself to medicate Wesley, deciding he preferred the boy when he was too lethargic and tired to pester the man with his curiosity. All Josiah did was continue that medication, as he did with all his patients. The less fuss they caused, the better his overall reputation was. But he wasn't going to utter the whole truth. He had read enough of Oliver's file to realise that riling him up wouldn't end well. He wasn't scared of him, but if he could avoid getting cut or bruised, he would take that option.

"I'm a doctor; I have a duty of care, whether you believe that or not. I wouldn't hurt my patients unless I had a reason to. Your brother's often docile, but he can get... headaches, which lead him to act out violently. The pills help him. If you want to see him get dragged for electroshock therapy when he has one of his violent-inducing headaches, I can take him off his medication. If you want him to get better and be a good patient, you'll let me do my job-- now, is that all you came for? To critique and threaten me? I've heard this all before, Mr. Wood, from countless of patients. They all end up falling in line with my vision for the place, so I'm confident you'll learn and not cause me trouble."

"You've made him a zombie. We've seen who he can really be and this isn't it. He's funny, energetic, loving... and you've made him some... some slug. I will get us both out of here and get him off of those pills making his mind melt. He could read when we were together and now he's using some dumb nurse to do that? If that ain't proof that this whole thing is a mess, I don't know what is."

Running a hand through his hair, he scanned the office curiously. He saw a letter opener, a few pens and a stapler. All of these things he knew could be used to easily gouge out an eye. "I'm not asking much, doc. "

"In the many years I've been here, no patient of mine has made a sufficient recovery to defend them being released. It's sad, but the only way some of these patients leave is in a coffin, having refused medication and died, or simply dying of natural causes. I recommend you don't cause trouble, I've given you plenty of warning. Maybe you will get better and I have the pleasure of releasing you? Until then, take your pills and be a good patient, because I don't like having to punish residents here. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be moved onto another asylum and leave your brother, would you?" Josiah remarked coolly, his hand reaching to add a little whiskey to his coffee. He didn't advocate drinking on the job, but it was almost a tradition in his family to take whiskey with coffee. When he had patients like Oliver, having a little alcohol in his system made life far easier to deal with.

"Your brother is a sick individual who requires our help. He's below average intelligence, he forgets to eat if we don't prompt him, and he struggles without people around him. He needs our assistance. Looking at your colourful past, you do too. You won't be getting out soon-- and why would you want to? Your family are hardly stable influences," he drawled, a smirk pulling at his lips. He wasn't afraid to hit below the belt when he had information to use against his patients. It was unprofessional, but Josiah hardly cared for the patients. If he could use something against them to make them volatile so he had an excuse to lock them away for a few days, he would. Troublesome patients like Oliver were too much of a handful to deal with, so he did play dirty sometimes.

"I've heard plenty of things from the sheriff. How your mother married a millionaire from Dallas. All that money, and she can't bother to hire a good lawyer to get information about her sons. Sounds to me like you're more cared about in here, Oliver. You should learn to see that we're the ones trying to help you. From your file, your family weren't particularly up for doing that."

"You can feed all the lies you want to Wesley, he was too young to remember anything. We, on the other hand, know what our family is like. They weren't perfect but they cared about us," he replied with a chuckle before running his hand along the wooden edge of the desk to observe the intricate details. "My brother may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm a lot smarter than this dump gives me credit for."

Snatching the letter opener, he stabbed it hard into the desk before pushing off the desk with a grimace. "I don't care if you boil my brain with your electroshock bullshit. I'll get right back and make sure that I get what I want."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Is that all you came for? To idly threaten me and enforce your skewed opinion of yourself? You don't want to discuss more mature matters, about how the place is run or how you can improve yourself to make your chances of release stronger? Clearly you aren't that smart, or you'd be doing your best to build a good relationship with the man who runs this facility; i.e, me. You're as dumb as that brother of yours if you think threatening me is going to get you released quickly."

Sighing heavily, mostly dramatic in his delivery, the doctor wandered to the window to look out over the hospital's gardens, breathing the smoke from his cigar out as slowly as he could. "You do realise that you can only escape by causing an outbreak of violence, and doing that will get you a bullet in the head by the guards. I highly recommend you don't do that. The carpets are expensive and I don't want them stained with your... hillbilly blood. If you're smart, you'll apologise and promise to behave. I look favourably on the patients that suck up to me."

"I will never suck up to you," he stated simply with a grimace in disgust. If there was one thing either personalities of Oliver's likes, it was sucking up. If people treated him with respect, he would offer it - as was evident by his years of living a relatively normal life with his foster family. It was also proof in the fact that he had nearly killed plenty of people he hated.

"If it takes a bullet to the brain and my 'hillbilly' blood to get my brother out and back to our mama, then I'll do it," he stated simply before wandering to the window himself. Pausing for a moment, a smile slowly grew on his lips. "Do you ever get lonely, doc? 'Cuz you look like the lonely type."

Out of all the questions Josiah had been asked in his life, nobody had asked him if he was lonely. As arrogant as the man could be, the one thing he had always craved was a companion, specifically a male one he could fall in love with. The chances of that were slim, but he also knew that there were other men out there who felt the way he did, and it was just a matter of finding someone. If he tried hard enough, of course he could... he just put his career and his reputation before it all. He had friends in high places, and plenty of women ready to be his wife if he asked them, but he was still lonely.

Not that he was going to admit any of that to a patient whose family were notoriously weird, even among the Rocksprings society.

"I'm 32 years of age. I've accomplished things my parents could have only dreamed of. I frequently attend parties thrown by high-flying members in Texan society. Why would I be lonely?" He retorted, lighting another cigar up easily. He could go through several in one day when dealing with the stress of his job, and Oliver was certainly a stressful presence to him at the moment. "I don't appreciate my patients trying to get to know me in any way. You don't need to know how I am behind my professional front. We aren't buddies. I'm your doctor; you're my patient. Let's leave it at that."

"You are, aren't you?" He continued before letting out a snort in disbelief. "My family may be notorious but even the man who has everything can't force companionship. I think that's kinda funny, yeah? Big shot doctor who looks down on everyone still feels sad when he wakes up alone at night. I can sense things in people, Josiah. It isn't very hard to make out just what is wrong with you."

Slowly, his smile grew into a grin. Oliver was more of a man of action than someone who needlessly teased but this man was different. While he might not have started the fault of his brother's mental state, he sure as hell wasnt helping. If he could piss off the doctor and get what he wanted, things would be a little better for a bit.

What he really wanted to do in that moment was grab the patient by the neck, drag him down to the basement and strap him into a chair to be left in the darkness for days without food. It was a particularly archaic and cruel punishment, but one that had put plenty of troublesome patients on the right path to obedience. He could have easily done the same with Oliver, but the sudden lack of energy he had prevented that. It was difficult to hold up the facade constantly, so when someone saw through it, it did sap a lot of the energy from him.

"...You're going to be late for dinner. You'll find the dining hall easily enough. Your brother can't use cutlery very well, perhaps you should run along and help him, instead of picking a fight with me," he suggested as he sunk back into his comfortable office chair, his hand moving to top up his coffee with more alcohol. "Stay out of trouble, don't cause fights, and don't insist on trying to escape. It'll make my life easier if I don't have to punish you for stepping out of line."

"I'll make your life easier if you let us out of this damned place," he countered easily, though did move away from the doctor. As much as he seemed to love to tease the doctor, Oliver had more important things to work on - like getting his brother back to normal.

He knew he couldn't just shake Wesley's head quickly and have everything go back to normal. He knew it wouldn't be an instant fix and they could go back home. He knew the first thing he had to do was stop the pills. He decided to save that for later, though.

It wasn't until he found his brother that Oliver seemed to get a bit dizzy, though he never really knew why. They came in waves, like the blackouts, and he wouldn't admit to how close he was to having another one. The importance wasn't on him, after all. So, once meeting up with Wesley, he offered a smile.

"How are you feeling?" He offered quietly. "I've been told you need help, who better to help you but me?" He teased with a smile.