Belgrave Royal Military Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it just so happens that we now have an as-of-yet unassigned Knight who goes exceptionally well with someone who can get her into the back line. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! That means @Shindo can put us on the list. Meanwhile, are there any characters that catch your fancy and could make a good addition? Or are there any roles you'd like to see filled/added to the squad?

No one in particular, but we are lacking in ranged artillery and a diplomatic type if we are looking to go the diplomatic route.

That said our squad looks like it would do well as a vanguard in multi-squad missions or to take out/capture high priority targets/buildings.

However this is an RP and teamwork is the name of the game. Whoever we pick could easily be worked into the group.

And if you mean what I need for my squad, I've got all but the 2 knight positions filled. I still need the prince for story purposes, but as for the other, I might not take the character I had designed. I'd probably give free reign on his character as long as he was defensive and earth-based.
Maybe approach @potatotots about Brandon. He's an earth-based character who, although being enrolled as a mage, wants to develop his abilities as a knight. I don't know about defensive, you should ask him, but he's certainly earth-based!

No one in particular, but we are lacking in ranged artillery and a diplomatic type if we are looking to go the diplomatic route.

That said our squad looks like it would do well as a vanguard in multi-squad missions or to take out/capture high priority targets/buildings.

However this is an RP and teamwork is the name of the game. Whoever we pick could easily be worked into the group.
I think diplomacy or basically a good cop in the team could really work in terms of capture-objectives. I really like the vanguard-type squad idea. I think cover would be greatly appreciated, but if we go the vanguard route it'd be difficult for an artillery type character to move within the same unit.

When are we planning to start the In Character thread ? also maybe a drawing of the academy ?
The IC thread was up before the weekend, check my first post in the OOC thread. I've said that anyone that wants to jump IC can start to do so already, but nobody has yet.

As for the academy, I'd like to stay vague on that just because it's always better in your own imagination.
I think you should make some post to start us off. I don't really know what to post about atm.

I think it's best if you start us off with at least a scenario, @Shindo. Back in the interest check you mentioned you had a lot of this world thought out. This would be a good opportunity to show a bit of that off and get everyone started.

also guys use this thread ;p

I think it's best if you start us off with at least a scenario, @Shindo. Back in the interest check you mentioned you had a lot of this world thought out. This would be a good opportunity to show a bit of that off and get everyone started.

also guys use this thread ;p
thanks for the heads up

Also in addition i plan to work at it through rp but my character will likely seek a Knight to do some leisure time sword play.

Hello folks, I stumbled in here a while ago and I gotta say, it looks pretty interesting. I'm not really dripping with ideas tonight it seems, as I've only come up with my basic character premise so far. But I plan on giving it a shot later, so expect to see me again! ^_^

Alright, well I've done an initial post to get things rolling. Hopefully my Becky comes out of hiding soon so I can begin myself.

Hello folks, I stumbled in here a while ago and I gotta say, it looks pretty interesting. I'm not really dripping with ideas tonight it seems, as I've only come up with my basic character premise so far. But I plan on giving it a shot later, so expect to see me again! ^_^
Heya! If you need any ideas, we're really aching for knights. 'specially ones that can take a beating.

Also in addition i plan to work at it through rp but my character will likely seek a Knight to do some leisure time sword play.
Sure! Shoot me a PM to discuss any details.

Alright, well I've done an initial post to get things rolling. Hopefully my Becky comes out of hiding soon so I can begin myself.
Great. Expect a post soon.

As for the person playing Becky, have you tried PM'ing them? I'm sure there's other characters who can interact with Roland too.

EDIT: Also @ everyone, here's a few pieces of info I dug up from the Interest Check that might be relevant to your first posts;
I had envisioned the area around the capital being in the highlands. The city itself is very much like Gondor if you can imagine it, with each of the rings rising higher than the previous ones. I did imagine a river running through the lower ring, so we're on the same page there. The area around the roads leading into the city are open areas with mixture of steel-grey rocks and deep emerald grass, but I imagine further off in the distance toward where the elevation rises sharply there would be a nice treeline. I never really thought about it, but I suppose the cathedral's bell in the upper ring could be heard throughout the city when it rings.
The middle ring is where the academy and college are, along with many specialty shops, such as bookstores and cafes, as well as many fountains and gathering places. It mainly consists of higher quality stone materials, such as unique bricks and granite.
On school grounds, Academy Cadets wear a navy blue uniform with gold trim that looks similar to a military dress uniform. Mage's College uniforms are more loose-fitting and are the same shade of blue with silver trim that resemble that of what you'd imagine to be a Japanese school uniform. Girls have the option of wearing a skirt with the option of kneesocks or stockings for College Students, and Academy Cadets must wear stockings if they choose to wear a skirt with boots of at least knee-height.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think making tank characters in an RP is pretty hard to do without giving them a bunch of damage suppression magic. RP fights aren't like game fights where you just spam your attacks. In an RP characters can exploit weaknesses and even the most heavily armoured characters can be taken down easily by someone who can exploit the armour's weakness.

Swords also have weaknesses but it's still better to have one than to go into a fight barehanded. If armour wasn't really good, which it is, warfare throughout all of history would have looked very differently. Plus anti-armour weapons aren't less effective on unarmoured opponents than they are against armoured ones. I mean I wouldn't want to take a warhammer to the plate or bare chest.

Also inb4 mobility;

I'm not saying theres no point having armour, I'm saying that you can't really have a "tank" character in a realistic situation. Sure, armour makes it harder to die but RPG-type tanks are all about endurance and being able to absorb a ton of damage but real armour's just not that good at doing it. It's good for stopping piercing and slicing attacks, but an opponent wearing a helmet can still be whacked over the head just as easily as an opponent with a flat cap. Then again, realistic swordfighting is nothing like the sword fighting in video games either.

It's more about distraction, stalling tactics and not instantly dying than being a massive meatshield. Damage suppression magic is useful, but many ways lead to Rome. It's not so much as pulling aggro while the rest of the party loops their damage rotations from the back, it's about actively preventing or delaying opponents from intercepting your squad's attempts to get into favourable positions.

Double post I know, but my first IC post is up. If anyone is looking for someone to interact with, I've left the bypassing student's identity ambiguous, so it could totally be you!

Your armour did only minor mitigation of hits, most of it was your weapon play, shield usage and footwork.

Plate armoured fighters would most likely be wrestling each other as its easier to dispatch someone in plate who is on the floor.

EDIT:

Also you would layer armour, you would have a layer of clothing then what is known as a Gambeson, then if your in plate mail you would wear your mail and then finally you would put the plates on, a helmet would have a cloth or leather coif before a layer of mail and the helmet was worn.

Gambeson for example helps somewhat mitigate the impact from blunt weaponry but obviously if your hit its still going to hurt a tonne.

I wouldn't call it minor if you end up wrestling ;p

Weapon play, shield usage and footwork limit the opponent's opportunity to deal a solid blow. I mean you can totally smash a rib if you swing your sword at someone's chestplate at full force, but you never will in combat because... Opponents aren't practice dummies. However, you might get some other hits in with less significant force. If these hits cut muscle or make you start bleeding, well that's a lot worse than suffering a bruise. This is an especially large advantage when up against an unarmoured opponent because trading blows will pretty much always be in your favour. Generally a regular foot soldier wouldn't want to be up against a knight unless they had a halberd or something.

Fun extra tidbit; this is why half-swording existed. It may not be the ideal weapon, but against armour, the concentrated blunt force of a pommel is going to deal more damage to an armoured opponent than a cutting edge. In fact, you even have slightly more range because you have the weight of your pommel at the end of your now reversed sword, versus the weight otherwise being distributed more towards the centre of the blade.

I've seen a few realistic fights in plate armour. They were kinda... not what I expected. I was expecting some poking and some elaborate jousting based on video games and what not, but it ended up really brutal. Lots of bashing people in the face with shields, lots of whacking people with gauntlets and pommels, and an overweight german guy running around with a fuckin' hammer just dropping it on people's helmets. So many ambulances from those events.

I wouldn't call it minor if you end up wrestling ;p

Weapon play, shield usage and footwork limit the opponent's opportunity to deal a solid blow. I mean you can totally smash a rib if you swing your sword at someone's chestplate at full force, but you never will in combat because... Opponents aren't practice dummies. However, you might get some other hits in with less significant force. If these hits cut muscle or make you start bleeding, well that's a lot worse than suffering a bruise. This is an especially large advantage when up against an unarmoured opponent because trading blows will pretty much always be in your favour. Generally a regular foot soldier wouldn't want to be up against a knight unless they had a halberd or something.

Fun extra tidbit; this is why half-swording existed. It may not be the ideal weapon, but against armour, the concentrated blunt force of a pommel is going to deal more damage to an armoured opponent than a cutting edge. In fact, you even have slightly more range because you have the weight of your pommel at the end of your now reversed sword, versus the weight otherwise being distributed more towards the centre of the blade.
As they say its the cuts that win the fight.

If you all feel that tanks are difficult to make/create in game, what if we give them enchanted armor and weapons. Seems to me everyone is focused on power-levels. So, can we make knights more appealing or slightly stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.