Behavioural Analysis Unit: Criminal Behaviour (Nix and Samantha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lance nodded, standing and brushing some questionable things off his pants. "I'm starting to think that he might be lashing out at a parent.." Still a small pleased smile flickered over his face before it vanished. It was unprofessional to smile at a crime scene, but Alice, who was easily the smartest person in the state right now, had agreed with him. Still, when Alice motioned him over, he obliged, looking interested in what Justin had to say.

Miranda absolutely hated it when the officers were spiteful, because it meant her team wasn't treated as they should be. "I'm not gonna lie.. That little town in Oklahoma was the best so far." While it was true that the room they had used there was about this size, the difference was, it was the largest room in the place. When Emory mentioned it was Justin on the phone, she immediate stepped closer, pointedly ignoring the looks from the officers.

"I'm starting to think you don't like me, Isaac." Justin muttered just lour enough to be heard. He waited almost impatiently, even though few could work as fast as Isaac. He heard Em first and then Alice, and he waited just long enough to take a breath before starting in. "I just finished at the coroner, and there are a couple of things you should know." His tone was serious, and very unlike the Justin that teased Alice and Emory all the time.

"The marks on the victims skin near the hands and such, were bruised, showing that she was fighting him the entire time... Also..." He paused here, knowing Emory was listening, but also knowing it needed to be said. "He cut her tongue out while she was still alive... That was the official cause of death. Blood loss... He wanted her to be awake and aware for everything."

ALICE
"So he definitely wants his victims to suffer. He's going to continue to hurt people until he can confront the source of his rage, which -- no, Lance, you tell them." Alice nodded assuringly to the agent in front of her.
ISAAC
"So, I presume someone wants me to pull something," said Isaac, wheeling his chair back to the centre monitor. "Alright. Hit me."
EMORY
Emory almost gagged. She needed to distract herself. "Mira, what do you want me to do."

Lance started and glanced at Alice, before nodding once and speaking. "I think that his anger is toward a parent. Which parent, I don't know.. It could be the mother, but then again, he could be lashing out at her for not protecting him from the father." He had no idea, but he did make certain his voice was as confident as possible.

Miranda, patted Emory on the shoulder. "Okay, Em. I want you to speak to the family of our victims. See if they had noticed anything strange before they disappeared." Miranda felt that was something that would keep Em away from the messier side of this case. "Isaac, I want you to take that list you sent me, and cross reference it to any child abuse cases, hospital reports, anything that might even hit at someone that was kept isolated from their basic needs." It was a long shot, but if anyone could find a thread it was Isaac. "Alice, I want you and Justin to put your heads together and figure out exactly what is attracting the Unsub to these specific victims. Lance, come back to the station and you and I will start sorting through Isaac's findings."

"There is one more thing you all should know." Justin offered quietly, which showed exactly how serious he was. "There was no sign of any drugs, or chemicals in the victim's system. I think he lures these women to him somehow..."

ISAAC
"Consider it done yesterday," said Isaac, cross-referencing the list as he was requested. Then, feeling exquisitely evil, he added, "Hey, Miranda? Do you think we'd get in trouble if I hacked into YouTube and changed every single video into that clip of you, drunk off your mind, at Alice's birthday party? Or should I just hack the Pentagon again?" Snickering, he completed the list, sent it to everyone's tablets and resumed his project.
EMORY
Emory giggled at Isaac's comment and handed her phone to Miranda, so she could tell him off. Pulling her red hair into a ponytail, she crossed to the phone on the table and, after consulting the case file, dialled the number of the mother of the first victim.
ALICE
Laughing lightly at Isaac's statement to Miranda, which was funny (though highly inappropriate), Alice turned to Lance. "Well, we'd better get back to the station," she said, hanging up on the conversation and nodding to the Brooklyn detective. "Good work there."

Wisely, Justin prudently hung up, before making his way to the station. Idly, he wondered if there would be anything left of Isaac to actually go on that date with Alice after that.

Miranda smirked at Emory before turning the phone off of speaker. "Isaac. You will get into less trouble with the Bureau if you change Youtube, than if you hack the Pentagon. However. If you do either I will take every toy, figure and personalized item in your office and give it to my four year old cousin. Who by the way, loves to put his toys under the wheels of his father's car." She paused for effect, then spoke very quietly. "However, if you happened to put that terrible picture of the director somewhere very public... that I would overlook."

"Ah.. thank you... I confess I was pretty nervous about.. well everything." Lance wasn't used to being in the spotlight. The only time he ever had been before was during competitions. "Um.. Can I ask you a question?"

ISAAC
Isaac scowled at the phone while he began the complex hack into the director's overly-protected Facebook account. "If you dare touch my stuff ... " he trailed off, accessing the Facebook account and posting the picture in question. "There. Check Facebook."

He hung up and began the hack to YouTube, smiling evilly as he went.
EMORY
The families of the victims had been more than happy to come in. Emory watched as Liz Keeling's parents entered, tears streaking their faces, followed by the husband of the second victim, who had been determined as Rosie Nicols. Emory walked to meet the three people halfway across the station.

"Mr and Mrs Keeling, Mr Nicols," said Emory. "My name is Emory James. Can I get you anything? Coffee?"
ALICE
Alice wasn't shocked to hear that the new agent had a question. "Sure," she said, navigating the streets of Brooklyn with care. It was probably an academic question, which she was sure to answer correctly.

Sighing, she hung up the phone, knowing that Isaac was going to cause some kind of trouble, but that was not going to stop her from enjoying the little bit that was at her request. While nowhere near as skilled as Isaac, she could easily manage to email her entire team the post so that they could see it as well. She made a mental note to check a few places later and possibly bribe a janitor to extract revenge if necessary.

"What is my role here?" The question was offered quietly but firmly. "This team has an excellent closure rate... and I guess I'm confused why you would need anyone else...." Lance's eyes turned toward the window, watching bits of the city move past.

ISAAC
Knowing that Miranda wasn't above her threats, Isaac set up a rig over his office door. Ah, facial recognition software, what would I do without you? Isaac thought wistfully.
EMORY
Emory handed steaming paper cups of coffee to the families. "Right, Mr and Mrs Keeling, would you like to come in?" she asked politely, gesturing to the interview room.

"Sure, sure ... "

Once the Keelings were seated, Emory began the interview. She was notably nicer when speaking to emotionally wounded families than, say, Isaac, who was utterly ruthless. "I know, it's hard, loosing your child like this," she said soothingly. "But, if you help me, we can find the person who did this to Liz, and we can put him away, before anyone else's child is taken from them."

"We'll answer any of your questions, Agent," said Mrs Keeling quietly.

"Please, call me Emory," smiled Em.
ALICE
Alice had definitely not been expecting that question. But that didn't stop her from answering it.

"Lance," she said strongly. "You're here because we all believe you are a valuable asset to the team. I'm not going to lie to you; we needed another member. One of us left a little while ago. But you deserve to be here. You wouldn't be here if the entire board, Miranda, and anyone else who has any say in it didn't think you deserved to be here. Judging by your insight at the crime scene, you're a very well-rounded, intelligent person with obvious skills in this area. Everything you've contributed to the profile has been useful."

Aware that she was talking quickly, Alice took a deep breath, parked the car in the park behind the police station and looked Lance right in the eye.

"I wasn't as practical when I started as you. I remember Justin getting sick of me at the end of the case, and he's my best friend. But you, everyone likes you so far. You're obviously very smart and you know your stuff. So, please, don't let yourself think you shouldn't be here. We do need you."

Justin sent Isaac a quick text, before he walked into the station. 'Hey, can you send me the best coffee place near the station? You know how Alice is when she doesn't get enough. Thanks.' He deftly avoided Emory, since he didn't want to interrupt and seemed a bit surprised that Alice wasn't there already. Slipping into the small room, he shook his head. "Another cave?"

Miranda looked up with a small nod. "Yeah, but we're used to that now right?" She studied him for a moment. "You don't look happy."

"I'm not. We have a good bit of information on this one, and still I can't shake the feeling that we are missing something important." Justin leaned against the door frame, his expression was pensive.

Lance nodded, once. "Alright. I'm still not sure what my role is, but.. I'll figure it out eventually...." There was a long pause, then a very soft. "Thanks, Alice." before he slipped out of the vehicle and headed inside.

ALICE
Alice followed Lance into the station. She stopped in the doorway of the office the team was set up in. "Oh my God, it's a cupboard," she said, shocked. "And not a good cupboard, like Harry's. A bad cupboard." She looked wistfully at Justin. "So I assume the coffee here is as crappy as the coffee anywhere?"
ISAAC
Isaac quickly texted Justin the address. "My God, you'll all die if Alice doesn't get her coffee." Isaac returned to the YouTube project, finishing it and smiling maniacally. "Oh, Miranda. I'm in trouble, I presume."
EMORY
Emory politely led the families out and returned to the team. "Right, well, I spoke to the families," she said. "And I have some interesting news. Both victims took advantage of what they had; Rosie Nicols regularly abused drugs, and Liz Keeling's parents suspected she was an alcoholic. In fact, Liz apparently lost a child a few years ago, as she had been drinking and smoking while she was pregnant. Her baby died just after birth." Emory watched the profilers. "So, what could it mean?"

"Shoebox, Alice. You should know the difference by now." Miranda stated dryly, and pulled her phone from her pocket, wondering why it was vibrating so much. She was only half paying attention to if when Emory arrived with her news.

Justin just smiled and held up his phone. "Way ahead of you." He waved it back and forth a bit before Emory arrived, his smile quickly fading at the news.

Lance absorbed the information, but didn't really make any connection as to why that detail was important. It had to be, but he simply could not see it.

"Well then, it makes more sense now.." Justin pulled a few bills out of his pocket, handing them to Emory with a kind smile. "Hey Em? Do me a favor? Will you go here and get Alice her next dose, please?" None of them actually liked Emory having to listen to or see the nastier side of their work. The least he could do was spare her when he could.

EMORY
Thankfully catching Justin's drift, she took the notes. "Thanks," she murmured into his ear. "Right, Alice, I shall return with your coffee. God help us if you don't get your coffee."
ALICE
As soon as Emory's bright red head disappeared, Alice whirled to the rest of the team. "So, he's taking victims who abuse their lives. Maybe the source of his rage did this? A parental figure who didn't take care of him, because they were too preoccupied with whatever it was that seemed to reign over the UnSub during his childhood. What do you guys think?"

"Mother." Lance stated, certainty in his voice. "His mother was the one abusing some substance.. The father was the one that abused him."

"That does make sense. He's lashing out at women that remind him of his mother, who should have protected him." Miranda added, confident that Alice and Lance seemed to have it figured out. She absently played with her phone while she spoke, for now ignoring the message she had received earlier. "Alice, get Isaac on the phone. Have him add this new information to our list."

Justin stayed quiet, thinking over everything carefully. "I don't think there will be a report anywhere of the abuse. From either parent. If the mother checked out completely, the father certainly wouldn't report it either. That could be why he takes all the senses from the victims... Because he was invisible.. and so they should be too."

ALICE
"Lance is right, it was the mother who was on the substance, which made her reject him," said Alice, nodding. "But Justin's right too. There wouldn't be a record of the abuse or anything." Alice sighed. "AND we still don't know how he finds his victims. Maybe he lures them in with the substances -- oh my God, that's it!" cried Alice. She stood up, though it made little difference, as she was so short, and looked manically at the team. "He's a dealer."

She crossed to the board, plucked up a marker and began drawing on the map that was tacked there. "Both of the victims were found -- and abducted, according to a detective I saw on the way in -- within this five-mile radius." Alice indicated the zone, which was now circled in red. "This is where he sells."

Alice slid her phone from her pocket and pressed number three on her speed dial -- Isaac's office. Number three, with one and two being Justin and Isaac's mobile, respectively.

After listening to the clever introduction without comment, Alice gushed, "Isaac. We need a list of every person who was charged with drug possession or dealing in the last four years."
EMORY
Emory stood in line at the Starbucks around the corner from the station. Knowing Alice's deranged obsession with Harry Potter, she had ordered the girl two Butterbeer lattes and one less Harry-Potter-y peppermint, alongside a mocha for everyone else. Seen as it was Alice, Emory suspected she would have to return to the coffeehouse within the next two hours.

"Hello," said a voice from behind her.

Emory whirled around and was faced with a man. He looks ordinary, Em thought. Cut hair, clean clothes.

"Hello," said Emory.

The man was eyeing her badge. "FBI?"

"Oh, yes."

Emory was glad when the Starbucks worker called: "Six for Emory?"

Emory collected the coffees and briskly exited the store.
ISAAC
Another call. Isaac took careful aim and tossed a pen at the accept button on his phone, which was across the room. The pen struck home, and the call connected.

"You have reached the office of Isaac Tayne, who is about to quit his job as a hacker and become a professional basketball player," he said.

Isaac listened to Alice's request. "Alice, hon, that's going to be a lot of names, but I'll do it and cross-reference it to the list we've got now," he said, returning to the main monitor. "And it'll still probably be a lot of names."

Justin frowned. "I'm not too sure about that."

"About which part?" Miranda was both confused and intrigued, as it was pretty are that Justin disagreed with Alice.

"I don't think he will have a record. I mean, think about it." He motioned to the boards. "At some point, he would have learned to actually be invisible. Look like everyone else, not stand out, not get caught. I think our guy would be on a suspected list of dealers, but never actually have been arrested."

Lance looked almost as intrigued as Miranda. "So you think he is more careful that most to not stand out?"

"I think he is as ordinary as they come. Simple hair, clothes, and yes, Alice is right, he has to be a dealer, but Em said one was on drugs but the other's choice was alcohol. That's pretty easy to get, so he would have to be adaptable. He doesn't limit himself to just one type of drug. That means he wouldn't show up on the police radar, like someone that deals exclusively in, say... Pain killers."

"Either way, I think we're ready to deliver the profile. I'll go gather the officers while we wait for Em to get back." Miranda stood, and left the room.

ALICE
"Justin's right," agreed Alice. Emory walked in with her coffee. "OH MY GOD, you got Butterbeer?!" she exclaimed, taking one of the Butterbeer lattes and sipping it. "Emory, I officially love you."
EMORY
Emory rolled her eyes at Alice and slid the girl's other two coffees onto the windowsill. "Yep, and I got you two more, because you're unhealthily addicted to caffeine and it's so weird," she said. She handed out everyone else's coffees, and turned to the phone. "Sorry, Isaac, none for you."
ISAAC
"Wow, Emory, that's cold. I thought our friendship was stronger than this," said Isaac morosely. He crossed referenced the list with the suspected dealers and sent it to Miranda. "I think I will have to enact revenge."

"Brave man..." Justin offered, thinking of the last April Fool's Day when Seemingly Sweet Emory had somehow, (because she refused to say) managed to out prank even Isaac. Justin made it a point since then to never make her angry. He sipped at his coffee, a small frown on his face.

While Alice and Justin made very good points, Lance really couldn't figure out how they were supposed to find one random guy out of thousands. But, that was what made this team of the best, and he was just going to have to figure it out somehow. "Revenge? But why? I would think it would be a lot meaner for her to get you one and you not be here to drink it...."

Status
Not open for further replies.