Behavioural Analysis Unit: Criminal Behaviour (Nix and Samantha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even bothering to check his own drink, Justin swallowed a healthy mouthful. "I think this is depersonalizing on a completely new level. It's more like a sensory deprivation tank than anything."

"While that may be true, I can't seem to figure out what the point of taking all of their senses away actually does for the unsub." Miranda added, from her place next to Emory. "Good work, Isaac."

Lance who had been sitting quietly across the way, his own cup untouched spoke up. His voice was just loud enough to be heard and slightly nervous. "There were some Native American tribes that believed that depriving themselves of their senses helped to open their minds and bodies to the Gods. They believed that it helped increase awareness in the Shamans of their tribes." It was a very odd thing to mention, but before he decided to attempt to join this particular part of the FBI, he had studied a great deal in Anthropology, which focused a great deal on ancient cultures. Almost immediately, he turned his attention back tot he information on his tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMORY
Emory raised her eyebrows at Alice, smiling. "Looks like you have some academic competition," she joked, knowing that it was highly unlikely that Alice would lose anything remotely academic.
ALICE
Alice shrugged. "It's common knowledge that many religions had beliefs about the senses. Lance is right, that could play a part in the UnSub's motives. We should get a list of how many people in the area with criminal records who are Native American, or with Native American relatives."
ISAAC
"Running it," said Isaac, entering the search parameters. "You'll have the list ASAP."

Lance's eyes grew wide, and his mouth opened and closed a couple of times. The last thing he wanted was to for any of them to think he was in competition.

"We might be thinking too small here." Miranda intervened. "There are hundreds of people that could have studied it, just like Alice and Lance. As she said, it is fairly common knowledge. Isaac, add to your list people with records that studied Native American cultures as well."

Justin just smirked, rather pleased with his friend's immediate reply. If there was one thing Alice knew it was books and information. "Have we considered that it might not be a for of deprivation at all? Maybe he's simply lashing out because they aren't feeling, or seeing the same things that he is..."

ISAAC
"Will do," said Isaac, adding the parameter. His favourite Lorde song came on, and he turned it up.
EMORY
Emory snickered. "Lorde, Isaac?"
She turned to Miranda. "Mira, where do you want everyone to go, once we land?"

ALICE
Alice's brow furrowed. "He's lashing out at people he thinks don't deserve to have emotion, or he personally is feeling angry or sad. He's most likely hunting for another victim, or he already has one.

"I've been thinking about that, Em.. I think you and I should check in with the local police... Justin, you go to the coroner, and Alice, Lance you two go ahead to the dump site." Despite the fact that she really wanted to send Lance and Emory to the station, the last time they had been there the local Detectives had been all offended that she hadn't gone there first. Not to mention, she didn't exactly like sending any of her team out alone, but sometimes it was necessary, and of them all Justin was best to handle things himself.

"Sure." Justin smiled briefly before turning back to Alice. "Can we really be sure of that? We have only two victims that we know of so far, and if, again a very big if, but if those are the only two, that is a very long cooldown period..." Justin was one of the few that would question Alice, that was one of the reasons they made good friends.

Lance bit his lip a bit, unwilling to give Emory a chance to make fun of him too. He rather liked this specific song.

ALICE
"Well, judging on the anger this UnSub is exhibiting towards his victims, he's lashing out. He's most likely angry at someone, so he could be building up the courage to confront the source of his anger himself." Alice sipped her coffee.
ISAAC
Isaac smiled. "Lance, be careful, Alice might bite," he said, smirking evilly. "I'm totally kidding. And, Em, I happen to like Lorde. Right, hit me up if you need anything else."

Isaac pressed a key on his keypad, and the video call ended.

Justin shook his head fondly, and fished a pack of cards out of his pocket, pointedly dropping them in front of Alice. As her best friend he felt it was his duty to keep her from dwelling.

Miranda glanced at her newest team member wondering if he had believed the hacker, but the man had his head tucked down, apparently absorbed in looking over the files. She made a mental note to talk to Em about it. Emory was very very good at making people feel welcome.

ALICE
Alice grinned at her best friend. She picked up the deck of cards and shuffled them. "I challenge you to a Snap death battle of wits and reflexes that will determine who rules all."
EMORY
Emory sat beside Miranda. "What do you think? About the case?"
ISAAC
Isaac was spinning in his chair, his head hung back. He was throwing a small ball into the air and catching it. Alice, Alice, Alice.... the single name echoed around in his head. He had finished the required list four minutes after he had hung up, so he felt he was allowed to wallow around in his thoughts. Do I need to brush up on my Russian? No, I can still speak Russian.

Justin just raised an eyebrow. "I think you are forgetting who lost last time. It certainly wasn't me..." He glanced at Emory and grinned at Alice. Dropping his voice to a whisper, he added. "It was Em..."

Miranda shook her head a bit. "It's going to be messy... I think we'll have a couple more bodies before we even start to get close... I hate it when that happens..." Truthfully, those were the kind that she hated the most, just like Justin hated any that involved kids.

After a couple more minutes of reading, Lance picked up his phone, and sent a simple text, then turned his phone onto silent. The text was to Isaac, and he didn't even question how the man inserted his number already. The text was simple and based on one of the figures he had seen on the screen behind Isaac. It read: 'You know what they call me in the ancient legends on the Dalek home world? "The Oncoming Storm". The rest of the quote is?'

ISAAC
Isaac grinned as the new agent texted him. Inserting his number had been easy, a simple hack to his phone. Child's play. Isaac read the quote, then speed-texted the reply: "You might've removed all your emotions but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left, and that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me? So tell me. How did you survive the Time War?"
ALICE
"Well, as it happens, I am not Em," said Alice, dealing the cards. "I represent a far greater challenge."
EMORY
Fully aware that Alice and Justin were talking about her, Emory continued to Miranda, "Do you think Alice is right? That he's hunting, or has another victim?"

Justin smirked. "Ah, Alice. You and I have always been evenly matched. That's why we make such a good team." He really didn't mind if he lost, he had already successfully distracted her from the case, even if it was just for a little while.

"I don't know.. He could be hunting, he could already have a new victim... We just don't have enough information." She glanced over, almost wishing she could be as easily distracted. "I don't say this much, but I really hope she's wrong."

Picking up his phone, Lance grinned, looking very different from the overly somber expression he had usually. he tapped out another message, before putting his phone back down. Since Emory and Miranda were talking and Justin and Alice were playing cards, he pulled out a book, flipping to the ear marked place.

'No one will ever be able to convince me that there is a better Doctor than Nine. But, no matter what, I am a Dalek fan.'

EMORY
"Me too." Emory was far from a profiler, but she still sympathised with the victims and their families. No one deserved to have their child ripped from their life. She didn't want to wallow, so she joked, "God, that'll be a dent in her confidence."
ISAAC
"As much as I adore Doctor Who, I have to say that you haven't lived until you join the Harry Potter fandom," Isaac texted. He whirled his chair to another monitor and hacked into his home computer system (which was even more complex and protected than the FBI's databse, which was why he had to hack into it). He copied his Harry Potter archive and sent it to Lance. "Observe the complexity".
ALICE
"Evenly matched in juvenile card games, perhaps," teased Alice, "but I supremely conquer over you in academics. Face the music, Justin." She grinned evilly. "I'm kidding."

"OR AM I?"

A smile crept across Miranda's face. "It probably would... but I don't think that would stop her. Besides, I think even Alice would be happy to be wrong about that one." She glanced up, as Justin slapped his hand down, claiming the first points, then over at Lance, who's eyes were wide, as he seemed to frantically text someone on his phone. "Hey, Em? What do you think is up with that?"

"I agree, but, first points are mine." Justin smirked, but there was nothing mean about it. "Of course, I'm going to have to go out this weekend. I can't have you having a social life and not having one myself."

Lance could not believe that Isaac had done that. 'I cannot believe you just sent me that. How am I supposed to watch it? I don't have a computer at home.' He used to have one, but it had gotten broken when he moved, and with the classes and all simply hadn't had enough time to replace it. 'I suppose I could read the books.'

EMORY
"With Lance?" said Emory. "Well, I'm not a profiler, so I don't know. Maybe he has a girlfriend or something."
ALICE
Alice glowered at Justin as she set her cards up for the next round. "I hardly have a social life, I'm going to a Russian film festival with a hacker." Suddenly serious, she looked up. "Do you think he likes me?" Uh, I sound like a conceited high school girl, she thought. What have I become?
ISAAC
"They're MP3 versions, so you can watch them on your phone," Isaac replied. "Also, there's a digital copy of the books, forums, pictures and reviews. You'll be incredibly entertained."

Feeling extra devious, Isaac whirled to another monitor and hacked Lance's phone once more, adding the rest of the team's numbers to his phone.

Miranda chuckled a bit. "No not that. I meant the whole, out of sight out of mind thing he has going on. And don't give me that, 'I'm not a profiler' Em. I think you kind of have to be one to handle the press the way you do."

"No." Justin corrected. "You are going on a date. With someone you have an interest in, and someone who thinks you practically walk on water. Listen, he thinks the world of you, we all know that." He picked up his cards. He loved the girl, honestly, but she really needed to be more confident in something other than knowledge.

'Okay, I have to admit, that might be useful.' Lance thought as he looked over all of the things Isaac insisted that he needed. Even the phone numbers, not that he expected to use them unless it was for work. Lance never had been very good at making friends. 'Thank you, Isaac. I appreciate it.' Firmly, he put the phone down again, determined to get into at least a third of the way through his book.

ISAAC
"It's fine. And whatever they've said about me scaring you, it's a lie. Probably," Isaac replied. He placed his phone on the desk by his music monitor, whirled the chair to the email monitor and sent Miranda the list she had requested.
EMORY
Emory shrugged. "Maybe he's just shy." Then, detecting what Miranda wanted her to do, she grinned. "You want me to get him to open up a little, don't you?"
ALICE
Alice stopped playing and gaped at her friend. "Wait, he likes me, too?" she asked stupidly. Then, realising what he had said, snapped, "And no one told me?"

"See, this is why I say you are one of the smartest people in the room. You always know exactly what I mean." Grinning, she turned her attention to the list Isaac had sent.

Justin actually dropped his head onto the table. "Oh, Alice..." Raising his head, he frowned at her. "How many times have I told you that? Encouraged you to just invite him out for a drink, movie, Chinese, one of those funny little conventions he's always going on about? I would never do that if I didn't think he liked you back."

After landing.
Lance followed Alice silently, his tablet held carefully in one hand, while his eyes darted about, watching the faces of the officers, the couple of bystanders, and even Alice. It was cool, but Lance didn't really mind that, he was from North Dakota, it was much colder there. He wasn't used to dealing with local officers, but he did step forward willingly enough to study the dump site.

Justin absolutely hated the coroner's office, and if he didn't know better, he would have sworn Miranda was punishing him for something. Still, he listened politely while the slightly balding man explained to him, everything that Isaac and Em had already said. Eventually, he was able to look over the body and he was oddly surprised by something he found. Immediately, excused himself and called Isaac.

Stepping into one office was almost the same as any other. People milling about, the smell of stale coffee, and as usual, a far too small of a space for them to work in properly. "Of course, this will be fine..." She kept the plastic, polite smile on her face as the Captain left the room before glancing over at Em.

ALICE
Justin's words about Isaac whirled around in Alice's head as she lead Lance to the dump site, but as they arrived, she banished the thoughts to the furthest corner of awkwardness, where they belonged. Worry about your morose excuse of a love life later, she mentally chastised herself.

As she studied the dump site, a million thoughts and assumptions flooded into her brain. But it was Lance's first case, and she wanted to give him a chance to share his opinions. "So, Matsuo," she said, desperately hoping he remembered that they referred to each other by their surnames in front of local police, "what do you think?"
ISAAC
Isaac saw the green button, which indicated he had a call, light up, and pressed it. "You have reached Isaac Tayne, resident awesome person and possessor of all available fantasticality," he said in a dull monotone. "How may I be of your assistance?"
EMORY
"Minuscule," said Em, looking around the office in disgust. "We're in Brooklyn, there has got to be a bigger room than this."

Dropping into a crouch, the move familiar after so many years of martial arts, and studied the ground. It was littered with bits of trash, all stained with various things. "It's possible that our unsub chose this place specifically, Dr. Gregg.." He kept his tone as professional as possible, ignoring the looming detective standing behind him. "I think that he is making a statement with this just like he is with the mutilation. Similar to the absence of senses, it might be possible he is taking away any sense of comfort." He glanced up at her, wanting her opinion.

"Oh and here I thought I was speaking to the incredibly lucky. Silly me." Justin couldn't help but mess with him, just a little. "Listen, I need to you get everyone together for a conference call. I found out something interesting from the coroner and from looking over the body." He walked toward to main door, shoulders, tense, echoing the sudden change in his voice.

"You'd think that they could at least be kind enough to give us two shoe boxes instead of just one." Letting out a small sigh, Miranda started setting up the board, which was really the only they they had actually provided. "Looks like you and I will be playing mediators the whole time."

ISAAC
Isaac was working on one of what he called his 'projects' -- which was just an innocent term for when he illegally hacked into something for fun.

Isaac scoffed at Justin's response. "Listen, mate, I am the effing king of snappy comebacks. You can't beat me in a smackdown. It's pitiful, like a butterfly fighting an elephant." Isaac laughed and dialled Alice and Emory, connecting them to Justin's call. "Alright, you've got Alice and Emory, the other two are with them, if I understand correctly. Go on, blow our minds with your discovery."
EMORY
"God, that would be nice," said Emory, rolling her eyes. She crossed the room to the board, and helped Miranda tack the case information up. She didn't allow herself to look at the gore; the team needed her in her best condition. She would not allow herself to be a sook. What would the team think? They all looked at these things every day, and none of them ever showed any signs of weakness. Even Isaac , the hacker who didn't actually see crime scenes in the flesh, was stronger -- though, of course, Isaac probably watched movies like that every day and laughed.

Emory's phone rang, and she pulled it out: JUSTIN. "Justin wants to talk," she said to Miranda, and pressed 'accept'. "Juzzie, it's me, you've got Mira, too. What's up?"
ALICE
Alice attentively listened to Lance, nodding as he spoke. For a newbie, his ideas were very well developed. Alice remembered her first case; she would continuously become sidetracked, talking about random information that had absolutely nothing to do with the case. She remembered being nervous whenever anyone spoke to her, and almost dying when Isaac had introduced himself.

"I think you're right," she said, sliding her hands into the pockets of her black trench coat. "This UnSub thinks of his victims as nothing but trash. He wants to deprive his victims of everything they have ... ... ... maybe the person he's angry at did that to him?"

Her phone rang insistently. The caller ID read JUSTIN.

"Justin wants us," she said, only to Lance, then accepted the call and put it on loudspeaker. "Hello?"

Status
Not open for further replies.