Before the Looking Glass

Jason didn't fight it for a second when she initiated the second kiss. Before he had been nervous and awkward as usual when she had been the one to initiate, but right now he was still riding the high from his first kiss with her, and when her lips connected with his gain it just felt like everything was right, like everything was how it was supposed to be from the beginning, and he only returned the affection earnestly.

Gently, he placed one hand around her midsection and pulled her closer to him while he moved towards her as well. He just wanted her closer. He wanted more of her. He was feeling something completely new and good and happy, and he just wanted to feel connected to the person who was making feel like this even more. Os he did as his body instructed and just continued kissing her blissfully, wrapping his arms around her and holding her close to him while he did so.

• Love
Reactions: Ravenbelle
This is reality? She never ever thought that the real world could make her feel this good. Ever. But dreams and stories must have come from somewhere and kissing Jason, she felt like she was a part of a million love stories at once. It was incredible and she didn't resist at all when he pulled her small frame closer. In fact, she simply wrapped her arms around the back of his neck and leaned into him some more. She had never felt more peaceful or happy and she had previously never thought she would find this feeling.

She wanted it to stay forever. Having ignored the movie by now, Rue reluctantly pulled away from his perfect lips, staring into his eyes while she caught her breaths silently. Had they ever looked this bright and beautiful before?
"Jason..I--" Rue cut herself off with a cute little yawn before continuing. "I think that if I fall asleep now, I..won't have nightmares. Will..will you stay with me? Just for tonight?" She asked meekly, unsure of exactly what they were now, or what they should be. But she was too tired to think too much on it.

Jason just smiled, placed another soft kiss on her lips, and then nuzzled her gently, pulling her closer into the hug. "Of course I will Rue. I'm not going anywhere any time soon."

• Love
Rue grinned, cheeks pink and nuzzled him back. Tucking her arms to her chest, Rue curled up into her protective little ball, placed her head on his choulder and closed her eyes, leaning into him on the couch. It wasn't long after that til Rue was asleep. And she was right. It was a tranquil, dreamless sleep. The first in more than a week.

The next morning Jason had been the one to wake up first, and after he had checked to his right to make sure rue was there and his memories of the night before weren't just a dream he had then decided to get up, what was probably the goofiest grin he had ever worn plastered on his face. Feeling rather light and awake Jason directed himself into the kitchen and got into the pantry. He wasn't a master chef or anything but he knew how to cook basic meals and anything that came with a set of instructions. Armed only with this small amount of skill and the fact that he was still drifting on cloud nine, the boy didn't even notice the time fly by as he got all the ingredients and cooking utensils out, prepared everything, and got to preparing his very first 'morning after breakfast'. All, of course, to Jack's ridicule and constant remarks of how two kisses with no tongue hardly constituted as enough to make this 'the morning after'. Jason didn't listen, Jason didn't care, Jason wasn't letting this bring him down.

Once everything was done he had two places set out on the table with a plateful of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and medium cooked bacon as well as a tall glass of OJ each. In the center of the table was a small bottle of maple syrup Jason had bought yesterday on the basis that his taste buds had been subjected to the tortuously inferior product called table syrup that brewster gave them for far too long to pass up the first opportunity to buy some of the real stuff. There was also a small assortment of jams and marmalade beside, as well as some butter in case rue wanted some variety with her pancakes. He'd done his best to arrange everything in as aesthetically pleasing an order as possible and once he was finally pleased with his work he turned around to go to the living room and wake up rue. It was to his pleasant surprise that she picked exactly that time to walk through teh door herself, yawning lightly and rubbing the sand out her eyes. Jason met her with a joyed smile.

"Ah, R- erh, 'Belle' you're up. Just in time too." as he stared at her memories of their kiss the previous night flashed through his mind and he suddenly blushed, needing to avert his gaze lightly as he smiled in mild embarrassment. "I- ah, I made breakfast for us, hope you don't mind bacon n' eggs with a side of pancakes."

Last edited:
  • Love
Rue awoke the next morning not to a terrible image behind her eyelids or a loud noise ripping from her throat when she couldn't help it. But to a ray of sunshine sneaking through the crack between the curtains. To a comfy couch with blankets and the smell of cold popcorn and fresh breakfast. And it was better than ever. Less..artificial somehow. Her eyelids fluttered gently, slightly dismayed to find that he wasn't here with her before her brain turned on and she realized he must have made food. Rue sniffed, smiled and slowly stretched on her way up to a sitting position on the couch. A silent yawn escaped her lips and when she opened her bleary eyes, the tv was still playing low main menu images and music. With one last morning stretch and peaceful smile, Rue stood, shivered out of the blanket and shuffled to the kitchen, rubbing her eyes as she entered to the sound of Jason's voice.
If she was paying attention, she would have caught his nervousness, but she was still just waking up.
"Good morning. This looks really tasty Ja-cob. Thanks so much." She smiled and gave him a brief hug before coaxing him to sit at the table with her. Everything looked mare than delicious and she was eager to dig in. A satisfied smile lit up her features when she sipped at the orange juice. Not from concentrate. Nice. She decided not to think about the difference in relationship between her and Jason. She wanted to smile a bit more before going back to the despair she deserved. You can be selfish for an hour or two, but it's not like you can hold it back forever anyway..

Jason smiled as she seemed pleased with the simple meal and he sat down opposite from her at the place he'd put out for himself and quickly proceeded to drown his pancakes in jam, melted butter, and maple syrup, all while maintianing a perfectly stoic expression as if nothing were out of the ordinary. When he cut into his desert for a breakfast and took the first bite, his face practical melted in delight and he humed contently. " Hmmm, I have to say, of the few things I remember from my childhood, I'm glad my love of pancake breakfasts is one of them." saying ths, he eagerly began to dig into his food, remembering about four mouthfulls in that there were other things besides the fluffy hotcakes on his plate and that he shouldn't ignore those either. every so often as he ate however, he couldn't help but steal glances in Rue's direction.

Rue nearly laughed at the way he prepared his fluffy pancakes. She was so grateful that he'd made all of this for him and she couldn't wait to taste it all. He definitely enjoyed it, for the expression on the white-haired teen was delighted, so she picked up her utensils, served herself a bit of everything he prepared and started gently applying different condiments on different pancakes, for she was sure she had never had so much variety for breakfast. In fact, this might just be the best breakfast she's ever had. And when she took the first bite, she was sure. She noticed him glancing at her and she was all smiles. IT was delicious. "Thank you so much Jacob. This is the best breakfast ever." She sipped at her orange juice and looked at his bed hair. "Did you sleep well last night? I didn't bother you?"

Jason looked up at her when she thanked him and gave her a large smile before swallowing down his mouthful with some difficulty. "You didn't bother me at all, I slept a lot better last night than I usually do actually. We should sleep together more often."

And then he immediately realized how absolutely horribly he phrased that and his character became little more than an incomprehensibly babbling, horribly embarassed, and violently reddening mass composed of the singular wish to go back in time and stop himself from saying that because oh my god why the hell would you ever even say it like that what is wrong with you!?

It was new to Rue to have this much food that it'd be hard to swallow a mouthful of it. But in order to do so, Jason had to. Everything about this new life is so suddenly different that it'd sometimes hard to wrap her head around. But Jason keeps her grounded, so she listens to what he has to say. Always. Except this time, she kind of wished she hadn't...Though she had slept more peacefully than she ever had since leaving Brew, the way he phrased it turned her cheeks pink as she sipped on her orange juice and he turned red and incredibly awkward in his sudden apologies.

She cleared her throat to get his attention and smiled just a little bit to reassure him. "Don't worry I know what you meant...I um--slept peacefully too." She mumbled, eyes down and head spinning. Had she really just said that? She's still extremely confused on what he really felt about her. Had last night been a fluke or impulsive or something? Rue wasn't sure. She was afraid of the answer.

Reactions: Buio
Jason gave a heavy sigh when Rue tried to reassure him and he calmed his nerves. "Ehr, er, sorry, truth is yesterday was my first time kissing someone, so I guess I'm just kind of feeling flustered still." He said with an embarrassed smile and distinct redness to his cheeks.

"Ugh, could you like not make me throw up so early in the morning?"

"I swear to god one of these days I'm gonna kill this mother fu-"

"What do you want Chess?" cut Jason's voice dryly, his face a perfect mix of 'oh not this asshole again' and 'I'm getting too old for this shit'.

"Ooh! Ooh! Are you Santa? Should I ask for a Pony? Or would you just do me the kindness of not making googly eyes at your girlfriend now that I'm here?"

"Do you just get off ruining people's morning for no good reason!?" Jason snapped.

The cat man only rolled his eyes and tisked. "Of course not. I'm here on Shiny's orders obviously. also I get off ruining your morning. You gonna eat that?"

Before Jason could respond one of the cat's hands had appeared over his plate, digging a fork in his pancakes, and then quickly disappeared again, taking the top half of his stack with it. His hand now reattached to his body, Chess' jaw seemed to unhinge as he swallowed the 2 or 3 full pancakes whole.

"Mmm, storebought mix. Real syrup though. Kinda like putting caviar on wonderbread don't ya think?"

Jason said nothing, He took a very deep breath, didn't blink or break eye contact, and the side of his eye twitched a little, but he didn't say anything. Behind his steely gaze the machine of his mind was hard at work devising the most painful possible torture and humiliation for the bastard tom cat, but he said nothing of this. A few moments passed, as he stared at the mutant's impenetrable grin in silence before finally he spoke. "So what exactly does Shine want from us?" He asked in a polite calm tone.

"Hah, 'a dish best served cold' ey?" cackled the cat in response.

there were a few more seconds before Jason repeated "So what exactly does Shine want from us?" in an eerily exact replica of his previous tone and beat. The unflinching eye contact didn't help either.

"The gentleman mouse, now so gallant in front of his partner. Was once such a louse, getting laid made him oh so much smarter."

Jason blinked once and then retorted "You're just jealous cuz no girl alive would fuck your ugly ass" calmly.

"Jack! What the hell!" protested Jason from within his own mind, reeling from the sudden switch.

"You you know it had to be said!"

"Not really the point!"

meanwhile chess' smile suddenly dropped and he blinked himself, more slowly then Jason though. "Wow, did you just really go there? Did you just call out a mutant on his looks? Really?"

"Oh great, now look what you've done!" said Jason in exasperation internally.

"I mean, do you think I don't know what I look like? Do you think I like waking up and seeing this" one of the cat's clawed fingers appeared beside him, suspended in the air and pointing at his face "every time i look into the mirror?"

Jack's mouth hung open as if he were to say something but no sound came out.

"So I might indulge in a little trolling to brighten my day, does that really mean I deserve to get reminded of what a freak I am? To be told I'm gonna spend the rest of my life without ever finding someone who'll love me? Maybe if it wasn't for people like you I wouldn't be such a dick all the time, ever think about that?" asked the cat with a hurt expression and accusatory glare.

"Uh- listen man. I'm sorry I didn't-" started jack, now feeling like a giant ass. "... It wasn't meant like-"

"Oh my god you really bought that didn't you!? Did you actually believe me just now!?" burst Chess out in a mad cackle, laughing hysterically. "Oh god it's too much! Ahh lord in wonderland, what is wrong with you?" He wiped a tear from his eye and chuckled once more "Aha, ahh... heh bring your dumb ass into the living room so we can get this started, would you?"

With that the cat man disappeared in his entirety. Now jack was the one who said nothing and just stared blankly ahead.

"So were #$%ing murdering him right?"

"No, first we make sure he has children he loves to leave behind."

"Oh, ok, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page"

With that Jack relinquished control back to Jason and the silver haired boy turned and gave a smile that was all too cheerful for the situation at Rue and said "So, shall we go see what Shine wants then?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Rue bit her lip when Jason grew red and admitted to her that she was the first girl he'd ever kissed. her eyes wandered down, ashamed that he wasn't her first. This is just another reason he shouldn't want to be with her in that way. But before she could stammer or say anything, a disembodied voice filled the room and she immediately recognized it as Chess. Though he wasn't the most polite cat, she could resist from arguing with him the way Jason seemed incapable. Rue, having been used to bullying or loud arguments in her dwelling before Brewster, listened to their banter with only slight curiosity, glad that Chess was here for a specific purpose other than being a nuisance. At one point, the redhead looked up from her plate with shocked eyes at Jas--Jack who had given Chess a clear insult to which the response was very unexpected. Though Jason seemed to buy the act, Rue just stared, not sure if she believed him or not. The Chesire Cat is never serious about anything. So when he gave up the little show Rue simply frowned at Jason's humiliation and quickly finished her breakfast, which was incredible no matter what Chess said about wonderbread.

Her chef gave her an unconvincing smile. He looked extremely angry and she couldn't see why. What is it about Chess that makes him seem so difficult to be calm around? She couldn't recall many other times Jason had been that angry among other such teasers. Why did he relinquish control now?

Rue nodded, and stopped Jason by the wrist before they wandered into the living room. "Don't let him get a rise out of you. It's what he wants. You know that." Rue said, hoping she'd helped to calm him down at least a little. She wanted him to take in Shine's information with a clear head. So she nodded, then followed him to the living room. Then froze. The presence before her struck her so strongly she tensed up and stopped breathing. Shine is...is here. Or at least she seems to be. Only when she registered that did Rue blink and step back with a kick starting heart and way too many questions.

Last edited:
As he'd gotten up Jason was thinking of nothing other than how to exact glorious revenge on the cat man but was suddenly pulled out of his dark reverie when rue pulled on his hand and advised him to not let Chess get to him. It was like suddenly getting splashed in the face with a bucket of water and he suddenly realized how out of character all of this was to him. But how strange was that it hadn't felt out of character at all. As the leader of the broken mirrors Jason had learned to keep his cool when others were being disruptive. Or rather jack knew how to keep his cool and Jason usually avoided confrontation altogether if he could. Despite that, however, arguing with and getting pissed off at Chess had come to him naturally and without thought.

Jason only gave himself half a moment to ponder the oddity of this situation before smiling at rue widely and decidedly more calmly than before. "Thank you Rue, I don;t think you know how much you help out sometimes."

With that he regained his composure and led her into the living room as the leader of the broken mirrors he still needed to be. This made him handle the impact of the next instant only slightly better. Seeing chess had been expected, but Jason was frozen in his tracks when he saw the same woman as last week with her white hair and green single eye, not standing up in a holographic protection but sitting on their couch, sipping a cup of tea.

after a moment his movements thawed out and he spoke lowly. "Sh- Shine?"

The woman looked up calmly and afforded the two a faint smile. "Hello Jason, Rue. It's good to finally meet the two of you."

• Love
Jason told her she'd helped, which was a nice feeling actually. If she knew she was helping, she was okay. That's what she was here for after all. To help Jason. To protect him, to care for him...but she might have taken the last one too far. But for now, she was just glad he was going into this with a clear head.

But that went out the window as soon as they stepped into the next room. Blue eyes widened and threatened to go purple, but she held it back again with a wince. Oh this is getting harder. But Stay in the Present!!
White hair, green eye,...not hologram. Shine is right in front of her. It was quite the shock to have the woman who has been leading and teaching and helping her best friend...(boyfriend???) construct an escape plan right in front of her. Especially when that plan blew up in their faces and traumatized them. Rue kind of wanted to throw up her breakfast now. The little redhead gulped the surplus of saliva down though and instead took a step back, away from the lady with the eye patch and the faint smile. So she is real. That gives her credibility. But if she couldn't risk her knowing much, why is she here. Something terrible must have happened. It's in the smile.

"Um...S" Rue cleared her throat, crossed her arms and steeled herself. What is going on? "Shine,...why are are you here? What happened?"
What changed? Who are you? What do you really want? Who are you even working with? Any news from Brew? Are we in serious trouble right now as we speak?
To Rue, it was like there was never less than a ton of questions running through her head every time Shine was seen or even mentioned. And the answers could lie in the future...NO! Don't you dare!!
Rue grit her teeth, tried to put it out of mind. Focus on the present. FocusonthepresentFocusonthepresent.

"Would you like me to take care of that for you?" Suggested the woman calmly instead of answering Rue's questions. She took another sip of her tea before continuing. "When you've been studying psychics as long as i have, you don;t need telepathy to tell: your psychic buildup is getting more difficult to control isn't it? If you're worried about getting uncontrolled visions I can put up mental blocks to stop them from coming. Granted, this won;t completely eliminate the chance of you waking up in the middle of the night because of a vision, or having one in the middle of the street, but it will severely decrease the chances and whatever visions still get through the filter will most likely be visions of great importance that we want you to have anyways."

The woman had a manner of speech that was difficult to place, somehow sounding both casual and professional simultaneously: as if she were offering both a favour and a bargain. She seemed genuine in her desire to help rue, but guarded in why she might want to. To anyone paying attention, it was clear that every single one of her words was measured by the vocabulary she employed, but the tone of speech was completely natural, as if selecting exactly the right words she needed to get the specific reaction she wanted out of someone had become second nature to her. This was a woman who never rested, and was never doing nothing, even if she was seemingly sitting down enjoying a cup of tea, a glance into her eye would show the restless soul behind. Her gaze was sharpened and alert at all times, and someone who could read these physical signs would know that this was a woman who was always thinking, always plotting, always measuring, judging, and running simulations. She was exactly the kind of person you would imagine would be the type to 'always have a plan' but whether this made her more or less trustworthy was utterly indecipherable.

• Love
Rue's brow furrowed when Shine replied with a question. She would be that type of person, huh? Tea, white coat, planned out words and scenarios. Shine was seeming more and more like one of the doctors in Brew and Rue didn't like it at all. It was almost manipulative the way she spoke. Was Rue imagining the condescending tone? She winced, irritated that the white haired woman never answered her questions, but instead proposed to mess with her mind. She was right in assuming that it was difficult to hold them back these days especially since it's been a long time since she held them back like this but Rue wasn't desperate enough to let Shine anywhere near her mind. She was hard to read and mysterious, which made trusting her very difficult for Rue even though Jason probably disagreed. Rue took half a step back, feeling all too vulnerable with this woman who continued to give her the impression that she knew more about her than Rue had ever wanted her to know.

"I..." She mumbled, glancing at Jason for a moment and trying her best not to look at this from just one angle. If she wasn't bombarded by the temptation to watch her visions, she couldn't be a constant risk to him. Rue is a ticking time bomb and if she goes off, Brew would be on their tails immediately. So if there was a chance that her power would put him in danger, she wanted to be able to stop it. She wanted to take measures to ensure Jason would be safe from her unpredictable powers, but he didn't even know much more than she did about Shine. There are still too many questions left unanswered. Besides, who's to say Shine wouldn't end up digging through her head while she was 'putting up mental blocks'? Rue shook her head. There are places in her mind where no one should ever go. "I can handle it. Just get to the point. You obviously came for a reason and it's got to be important for you to show up here in person." Rue dodged, clenching her fists and watching the lady with utmost caution.

Jason's stunned silence had melted into attentive silence when Rue and hine started to exchange words. He too had immediately been worried that the woman's presence meant bad news but was immediately relieved when Shine instead asked to block Rue's visions. It was yes partially because he liked the thought of not having to worry about rue suddenly getting overtaken by visions, but also because he knew shine's personality type. if there was urgent business then she's be getting to it urgently. The fact that she was opening discussions by offering rue a flavor meant this would be a more casual visit. Something rue then seemed to completely miss when she refused Shine's help.

Jason hadn't really realized it for most of his life but, after spending a week on the outside and going shopping around normal people for what felt like the first time in his life, Jason knew he was different. Not just in the way that he had psychic powers and a fucked up backstory involving a terrible secret organization and forgotten past, that stuff was kind of obvious. But living in Brewster makes you get used to a completely different reality. In Brew everything was a competition, not just who had the highest rank, or highest merit score, those were just the foundations of the system. Everything was class division, from how well you walked to how many friends you had to if you could customize the scents of your bowel gases (the kids from red school just got weird some times). It was normal for everyone to always be on edge, always be on the lookout, either for prey, or for predators. It was just a way of like to always be watching for someone about to stick a knife in your back, or better for a back turned so you can stick a few knives yourself.

People on the outside were different. Their eyes weren't sharp and careful, they were dull and happy. People from brew got exhausted, people on the outside got sleepy. In brew you failed, on the outside you had learning experiences. Jason was not a normal person. He had thought he was a normal person, but that was just from being surrounded by other people like him ever since he could form coherent memories. He knew he could never have pretended to be one Either. He now understood how incredibly lucky he'd been that Shine thought of Jacob, made him learn it, gave him a disguise to hide the child of Brew he was; because the melancholic boy now realized that under Shine's tutelage he hadn't just adapted to that environment, he'd learned to thrive in it.

You wouldn't think it remembering the quiet wallflower he was in the institution, but that status is what had kept him safe. He was quiet and meek enough to not be a threat, but studious, diligent, organized, and anti-social enough not to be seen as an easy target. A weirdo, a loner, but not weak. Jason had always seen himself as weak of course, but he knew that Shine had taught him to not let anyone see it. He was great at just blending into the background, and when he learned how to do that, she had then taught him how to take advantage of that. How to be incredibly aware of everything going on around you when no one is noticing your presence. He'd learned to gather data of all sorts on people when they weren't paying attention, and Jack was the one who spun those threads of information into a tapestry of leadership and charisma. It was only now that he was out of Brewster that he realized how strange that made him, and he was woefully reminded of it when he noticed that Rue wasn't as good at it as he was despite being from the same place.

Jason didn't look at her strangely when she rejected initially. He understood why she didn't connect the dots right away, most people weren't trained to like he was, and he expertly hid the discomfort he felt suddenly realizing even Rue didn't understand his experience completely. He took a small composing breath, hardly noticeable as he inhaled through his nostrils, and opened his mouth to explain things to her, but was a second too late as the cat man's voice echoed through the air in its unnatural tone.

"Wow, she really hasn't figured it out yet, has she? What, is this girl only clever when it comes to fairy tales?" commented Chess, seemingly genuinely surprised that Rue didn't pick up on what he knew for a fact the other 3 people in this room were aware of.

"Don't be crass Chess." commented Shine calmly though with an underlying hardness that made it clear it wasn't a request.

"No, seriously, this girl picks up on my connection to that damn Cheshire pussy in a second-"

"Oh! That's it!" exclaimed Jason immediately, to the subsequent expectant silence of the room. "ah-erh, uhm sorry, Chess, he reminded me of a character but i couldn't figure out who till he just said it... the... che..shir...." Jason then became small and quiet as Chess gave him a crazy(er) glare.

"How to punish a mouse so incompetent, that it would dare interrupt me? Perhaps I would grab an armament, and stab it in the fucking kidney!?" asked the insulted mutant, dropping his tempo halfway into the last stanza in favour of just barking out the last words.

Jason gulped lightly, feeling a chill go down his back. "Don't interrupt the Cheshire cat when he's talking, got it."

"heh."

Jason's eyes immediately darted to Shine who'd made the barely audible chuckle before placing down the tea cup she'd been holding. "Shouldn't have called him that," commented the woman without bothering to look directly at him, knowing she'd have caught Jason's attention anyways.

The white haired youth immediately looked back at the mutant who was now making nothing short of a dozen knives float in mid-air around him, each blade pointed at Jason, his face (basically looked like this) a a macabre portrait of rage mixed with disgust.

"What the fuck did you just say to me you little shit?"

Jason couldn't think of anything to say, and was pretty sure that anything he tried to say would just end up coming out broken and terrified, so he opted to say nothing at all. This proved to be wise.

Chess sighed out somewhat and made the knives disappear, keeping his eyes locked on Jason the whole time. "Everybody gets one. Next time you call me that you find a pine cone in your ovaries, got it?"

Jason nodded quickly, and then got a confused look, and then opened his mouth to state the obvious.

"He'll make it work anyways." commented shine before he could get a word out.

"Man, you two really like doing that." he said blankly, more or less getting used to constantly being cut off before saying anything.

"Maybe we'd do it less if it wasn't so obvious what you were going to say, ever think of that? God damn Shiny, how'd you manage to find kids who are noth stupid and smart at the same time?"

The woman only chuckled lightly. "I believe that's what is refere to as the pot calling the kettle black."
"Tch, speak for yourself, I only let people think I'm an idiot because it's fun to mess with them. What's their excuse?"

"Are you going to stop stalling and finally clue in miss Rue to what started this whole tangent? I know you had a rhyme prepared and everything."

"Fuck you, you don't know me! You're not my real mom! I'll be in my trailer! Oh wait: I don't have one, do I?!" and with that clearly over the top display chess popped away in a vacuum of air.

Jason sighed out deeply. "Well, while he's off being an idiot, let me explain." shine permitted it by not objecting as Jason turned to his partner in crime. "I understand why it is you don;t trust these people, trust me I could sit here reciting you every law and theory on psychology and behaviorology that explain how i understand your reaction, but you;re not thinking clearly Rue. Didn't it seem weird to you that Shine said she was once part of Brewster like us? Didn't it seem odd that someoen who escaped like we did would have so many resources? Of course it did, so you didn't trust her, especially when you picked up on the fact that she was hiding things from us, even when she semed to have a good reason for it. But then we can't assume she's lying because that would create more questions than it would answer. how doe she know about brew? if shes with teh admins why didn't we get captured again? Is this just more of their plans? what possible resons could there be for that? Is there anything we can do about it? That line of questioning leads to a dead end, we don't have nearly enough information to make a reasonable hypothesis and all options are left as plausible as the others. So we have to assume she's saying the truth. If she was part of brew before us, and she is a telepath, and she said she studied psychci for many years, and she has access to all this technology, but she isn't allies with them, what is she? There's only one possible answer that fits every criteria," Jason looked over to Shine to confirm if his train of thought was correct before finishing his thought. "You're a rogue S-rank, aren't you?"

Shine's smile was almost warm.

"I'm glad to see you haven't been neglecting your thought exercises."

"The key isn't to think better, but to think differently." replied Jason with a knowing smile, aware she would understand the meaning behind the words. He then turned back to rue and continued his explanation, since he doubted that rue would understand the full importance of this revelation right away. "Basically her being an S-rank means that no matter what you did right now, there is not a single thing you could to to stop this woman from rearranging your whole personality if she wanted to. A-rankers may have been terrifying back in Brew, but S-rankers are important enough that the administrators don't even let them be around other psychics like us. Until now I wasn't even sure they existed. The difference between her and us is about ten times the difference between us and normal humans. The fact that you're even capable of feeling doubt towards her right now means that she is stopping herself from just going into your mind and programming you to trust her to save time."

"In fact I put up some mental barriers to stop your visions from coming while Chess had you distracted." added the woman soicaly before finishing off her cup. when she looked back up she saw Jason glaring disapprovingly in her direction and smiled. "I'll take them out if you ask me too of course. I Just knew you'd probably need proof before believing that someone could play with your mind without you noticing it. Like Jason said, S-rankers like me are essentially psychic monsters. even the administrators drop all pretenses with us. We were told very explicitly that any instance of us using out powers without authorization beforehand would result in our immediate termination. Exploding collars were a favourite method of theirs to enforce that notion, but not the only one." She retold everything mostly casualy, but her gze diddrop down lightly once she'd gotten to the collars bit. One can only imagine what she may have seen the administrators do to any S-ranker not showing the utmost loyalty and compliance in the past.

Last edited:
  • Love
"Wow, she really hasn't figured it out yet, has she? What, is this girl only clever when it comes to fairy tales?"

Rue felt embarrassment crawl up her body into her cheeks as that familiar feeling of being left out returned to her. It was just as the last meeting with Shine had gone. Everyone was in the know except her, which made her look and feel like an idiot for being the only one expressing concern or caution around Shine. The small redhead kept tabs on their conversation, growing ever more worried about the discussion between Chess and Jason, even while trying to extract clues from Shine, who didn't give anything away, but a sense of authority and power. When Chess materialized knives around Jason, Rue immediately stared at the cat and placed her hand Jason's arm. She didn't really think he'd do it, since he seemed loyal enough to Shine, but it shocked her nonetheless and she let out a small breath when they disappeared, letting her arm drop to join her other hand. She fidgeted with her fingers and blushed deeply, letting her hair fall forward to conceal it as best she could before Shine requested that Chess 'clue her in' to the elephant in the room that everyone saw but her. Man, she felt stupid. Rue glanced at the floor and dug her nails into her palms. She was the future-seer here and she knows the least of their circumstances than anyone. It takes a special type of stupid to mess up everything, huh?
The lack of knowledge was killing her. It wasn't only the build-up of visions that bothered her, but the build-up of frustration. If this were a book, she wouldn't have left her room in favor of staying in and finishing it to quell the sense of suspense. It was part of who she was, so the not-knowing in every aspect of her situation made her constantly uneasy. Consequently, she was especially attentive when Jason began to explain what she seemed to have missed entirely.

She took in the path of reasoning she should have followed, wincing slightly when he said she wasn't thinking straight and naming all of the unanswerable questions she had asked herself without considering an alternative. Only now could she take his train of thought as her own and when Shine smiled at his final conclusion, Rue's heart stopped for a moment or two. The realization hit her like a punch to the gut and she felt her stomach complain at her. She ignored it in favor of paying attention when having failed to do so before is wasting time now.
Shine and Jason smiled at each other and she shrunk slightly, feeling smaller and smaller, not unlike Alice when she consumed the shrinking food. In her present state, she is clearly inferior to the both of them and her crimson cheeks never failed to show it off. She wondered grimly if the other Broken Mirrors would have figured it out without extensive explanation from their leader.

"Basically her being an S-rank means that no matter what you did right now, there is not a single thing you could to to stop this woman from rearranging your whole personality if she wanted to. A-rankers may have been terrifying back in Brew, but S-rankers are important enough that the administrators don't even let them be around other psychics like us. Until now I wasn't even sure they existed. The difference between her and us is about ten times the difference between us and normal humans. The fact that you're even capable of feeling doubt towards her right now means that she is stopping herself from just going into your mind and programming you to trust her to save time."

The fear didn't present itself immediately in her expression. Rather, Rue inwardly cringed at his words, occasionally glancing at not a person, but a creature capable of wresting her free will straight out of her head. She was frozen, convinced now that she couldn't even trust herself anymore. Shine had so much potential to do nearly anything she wanted to them and Jason didn't even seem perturbed by this. Of course, if it was true that she was manipulating them now, she wouldn't have let them figure it out, but the fact that she had the power to do so stole the color from Rue's face almost instantly. She was already inwardly panicking so when Shine admitted to putting up mental blocks without even needing to touch her, Rue visibly flinched. The reaction on the inside was way worse.

She bit her lip and pressed her limits, making sure this was provable, and sure enough, while reaching for answers ahead of the present, she ran into a wall. It gave a little, she could feel it but she knew she couldn't break through it without serious cause, if that. Rue tried to take deep breaths that wouldn't give away her terror, but only short shallow ones were managed as Shine continued about S-rankers. She is a psychic monster with the capability to play with my mind however she chooses.

And she already has.

For a moment, Rue felt sorry for her. She must have been through hell and she hadn't necessarily asked for that kind of power and now she has it. Honestly, Rue was scared of her own ability to see things no one else is meant to see. With Shine's abilities, she would have gone insane a long time ago. Just because she can do it, doesn't mean she will. Rue tried to reason with herself, but when Shine mentioned the others, Rue was hit with the notion that there were other S-rankers possibly just as powerful as her. And they work for Brew.

Run. Run! She thought, for she knew she was caught between a rock and a very very hard place. She doesn't do well when trapped. She feels like a caged animal. Brew on one end, Shine on the other. Rue believes her because Jason believes her, because she could see where he was coming from, but what if that was all part of being toyed with without noticing? She felt so alone in her bubble of fear and doubt because Jason isn't afraid of her. He's on her side and it would be so much easier to join him,... but would that be the only way to keep him safe? Should power like Shine's even be allowed to exist? Brewster is essentially creating gods. Rue was so afraid in that moment, probably still not thinking straight that it was prompting a physical response. A very urgent one.

"Okay." She breathed, backing up a step. "Excuse me just a moment..."

With that, she spun on her heel and quickly went for her room, closing the door behind her with no time to lock it before dashing to the toilet where her stomach decided to expel the best breakfast she'd ever had in the form of vomit. Rue coughed over the toilet bowl, panting and drooling slightly as she trembled and felt for the mental blocks again. Still there. Still horrifying. Rue whimpered and lowered the toilet seat while the room spun. She sat against the bathtub, clutched her knees to her chest and tried to breathe, find a place where she could relax enough to actually go back to the living room. It wasn't working. She has no control. none. The lack of control and the blood-curdling notion that there were people out there she couldn't do anything about who could play with her like a puppet....It was even possible that they already had.
This is precisely the sort of lack of control that almost killed her before Brew took her from the orphanage. The redhead was unaware that she had been scratching at the scars in her left wrist for the past minute or so until she felt the skin collecting under her nails. The flesh was raw and stinging, in some places, very close to bleeding. Are there any sharp objects around?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Buio
Jason became worried when he saw rue back away and those worries were only confirmed when she turned and ran. Instinctively he looked to Shine for guidance, though her posture made it clear she was remaining impassive to the girl's reaction. Jason quickly turned again and made to go after Rue but was stopped mid-step.

"Don't go after her just yet."

"Gah! What the fuck!?" Exclaimed Jack, suddenly 'shaken awake' by the presence of another voice within Jason's mind.

The white haired boy turned around and his emerald eyes met his Mentor's. He took a deep breath and calmed himself, but afterwards his features were still hard if not as tense.

A new cup of tea had materialized in Shine's hands (ostensibly Chess' work) but she kept it rested on her lap as she looked up at Jason attentively. "Let her process this for a while before going to comfort her."

Jason said nothing but his exhalation was slow, steady and silent. It was a tick his body had developed from when Jack would strategize, it was a quiet indication that his mind was focusing on arranging information. Jason hadn't noticed how since living on the outside he'd gotten better at doing it himself, but now he was doing what shine had always taught him to do when he was faced with someoen of superior skill. Examine all past events related to said person and the exact nature in which they unfolded, and whether those events would have been of greater benefit to them had they unfolded differently. Their exact level of skill in social manipulation could be approximated by its inverse proportion to the amount of times you will find yourself saying 'yes'.

Jason, of course, already knew that his mentor was playing at a level he couldn't understand just yet, but he would be doing her a disservice if he did not take this opportunity to watch her in action and try to learn a few things, even if he was still internally incredibly frustrated at the state Rue was in. Lookig back on how everything had developped, it was clear that Shine had directed the course of the conversation quite expertly, and it was apparent why she had Chess as her number two. The contrast of his high energy and chaotic personality with her stoic disposition made it next to impossible to properly focus on the subtleties of her own actions until it was too late. Chess was right when he said he only pretended to act the fool. He was an incredibly intuitive character actor and could read people easily, quickly figuring out what buttons to oppress to get a reaction out of them. A living, omni-present distraction to shroud the movements of the chessmaster. Not only this but the fact that he was clearly such an incredibly powerful mutant and yet was showing obedience to his chessmaster made her appear yet more threatening and authoritative for being able to control him. They worked together very well, Jason would be sure to incorporate a similar strategy once he reincarnated the broken mirrors if he found anyone appropriate.

"You never intended to let her say no, did you?" he spoke calmly to his mentor.

"If that was the case it would have been much easier to simply make her trust me," replied the woman calmly.

"It would have been easier to do that either way. A pragmatist isn't bound by morality, they do whatever has the most assured positive net effect over the longest period of time. If Rue is crying, distraught, and emotionally weak right now, it's because you need her to be that way, or at least it's the most favourable option for you, and you need her to have gotten that way without you directly having caused it but being a contributing factor."

"And what, Mr Greeves, could possibly be so important to me as that I would benefit from Mrs Benette's heartwrench?" asked shine without any sign of offence or insult in her voice.

Jason thought about this for a moment before replying. "I don't know yet, I don't have enough information, I have hypotheses though. What I can conclude is most likely the truth though is that this is related to her psychological development somehow. Pain, while always unpleasant, isn't always negative. In fact the end result of pain, when properly dealt with, are almost always positive. Right now we are in as most a stable environment as we're going to get. If we're going to break down and have time to properly handle it, now's that time. Whatever inner strength you want us to find or life moral you want us to learn by the end of our tribulations: you want it done with before we have to be put back in action. That would also explain why we're seeing you only a week after coming here when you said we'd be underground for a few years at least."

Shine remained impassive while he spoke, sipping her tea while listening to his every word, and then making him wait a few moments before giving judgment on his thought process. "It is commendable that you know the limitations of your past interactions with me and know to separate reasonable deductions based on personal evidence, and prejudice born out of a standing relationship and whatever emotional attachments may come from it," she finally spoke. "However you still need to learn to better manipulate the way you relate information to people. Speaking in monotone is a clear giveaway that you are hiding or suppressing something, and should never be done unless you are speaking the absolute, open truth. It would have been in your favour to do a better job at hiding your fear of me by being less transparent about your attempt at suppressing it. It was a good effort to show me a repressed concern towards her as a distraction from this, but it would have been better in your favour to appear as if you had more difficulty containing it."

"That is wrong." stated Jason calmly, not so much arguing his mentor's wisdom as spotting what he believed to be a trick answer. "There would have been no effective way to hide my fear of someone like you, telepathy or no. Even if I perfectly disguised every tell-tale sign my body could have given away you're at a level of being that is too easily capable of destroying everything I know, love, and am. It's impossible for anyone incapable of resisting your powers to not fear you on some instinctual level, and you know that. Trying to hide the fact would only have made me seem either suspicious or foolish for even attempting it. I can't change the fact that I'm afraid of you, or the fact that you know I am, so it's better to just play it to whatever advantage I can. In this case by showing that despite my fear of you I still have the utmost trust in your abilities to wield that kind of power responsibly and, more important than even that, in the manner that will have the most net positive gain for the greatest number of people over the longest possible period of time, showing that my loyalty is unaffected by this new development or whatever other changes it may have brought in my character. As you are my strongest lifeline right now, I only benefit from a positive relationship with you."

Shine sipped her tea once more, her expression forever stoic, and she looked up at her pupil's undetectably expectant eyes. "That is one way to look at the situation, but isn't it about time you went and helped Miss Benette now?"

The reply made Jason smile happily and he excused himself with a short nod, turning around and leaving the living room to go after Rue.

Shine simply stayed seated and enjoyed her tea. It must have been a rather good cup, as after the next sip she couldn't help but smile faintly.

***​

Jason headed for the room as quickly as he could without outright sprinting across the kitchen but slowed himself once he got to the room and only walked briskly to the bathroom door, approaching it carefully in his last steps and knocking on it three times lightly. "Rue? Can I come in?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Rue was aware that she wasn't thinking clearly when she stood up and stepped into the shower for a moment. She watched her hand reach for the razor. She knew how to dismantle it to pull out the little blades.That's how she did so at the orphanage. As if in a trance, her fingertips touched the handle of the razor. Rue paused,ignoring the disgusting smell and taste of the vomit in her mouth and in the toilet. She should try to calm down. Think. THINK about what you're doing you IDIOT!
She winced, panted, looked down at the floor. Is there time to think? Jason could have his mind twisted inside out while she was in here, acting like a fool. Rue whimpered softly. She was supposed to protect him! But how could she do that when he was going after the danger himself?
It's not like they have any other options, but to stick with Shine.

Her hand wrapped around the handle of the razor. No choice. If they run away, they'd never survive. They'd get caught by at least one of the parties: Brew or Shine. Which was worse?
Rue tried to remind herself that she was being stupid and they're waiting for her out there. She doesn't know the situation like Jason. She should trust him as her leader right? She had before. But now it's just the two of them and Shine is more than a background being, a guiding force. She's a real person --sitting in the living room with her only friend-- that's powerful and terrifying. What if giving in now instead of trusting her instincts got them both killed? There's a chance of being murdered in every path available to you. You have no choice. You're a pawn in a deadly game of chess. Always were, always will be. No escape, no choice, no way to save him.

"No..." Rue whispered, pulled the razor out of the shower and sat in a ball against the bathtub like before, staring at the blade. Just a little cut or two will help release all this.. She'll calm down, get her thoughts straightened out. It'll be easy. Too easy. Her logic and reason was taking a backseat, trying to stop her, but she wouldn't allow it to govern her actions, which began without her ever really thinking about it. It was a sort of dark cloud that muffled her common sense and guided her without her clear command or desire. It took over, letting her fingers fiddle with the razor until three silver blades fell out, clinking softly on the ivory tile of the orphanage. She blinked. the image returned to the floor of the apartment. Still here.

Yes. You're still here. But not your friends. They're dead or worse. You know how idiotic you're being? How're you going to hide it if he walks in now? You're not wearing anything but the Pj's from last night. He'll see the blood for sure. Stop. Stop it!

She didn't. The fingers of her right hand picked up one of the little blades and brought it slowly to the red, irritated wrist of her left arm.Right over the white scars of razors past. Just one. You deserve the pain anyway. A million times over. Let the blood wash away your invasive thoughts and feelings so you can compose yourself and stop embarrassing yourself.

There were arguments and thought processes screaming at her from all sides and just as she started to press down the blade to her flesh the slightest bit, there came three knocks at the door. She heard Jason's voice and the cloud in her head immediately vanished. She looked up at the door, gasped and picked up the broken pieces of the razor blade. She cut her finger by accident on one of the little blades, but she didn't notice until she threw the pieces in the trashcan next to the toilet. Only a drop of blood welled up so she sucked on it for a second and flushed the toilet. She was still overly pale and revolted at the taste in her mouth.

But she was less revolted with what her stomach had released than with what she had been about to do. How could she be so stupid?! If he hadn't come after her, she would have cut herself. She would have done it. She hasn't been at it for a long while now, so who's to say she wouldn't have cut a little too deep this time? Jason's right outside the door, waiting for her and she could have left him alone to watch her bleed. She almost broke her promise of protecting him.
Rue pressed the heels of her palms to her eyes and took a few deep breaths. She had to make sure he was okay.
Stop crying, you baby. Put your arms behind your back. He'll notice your scratching this time if you don't.

Rue gulped away the tightness in her throat and wiped away the tears in her eyes. There. now she could sit on the toilet seat she shut and wrap her arms around her middle where she could hide the redness on her arm and squeeze her upset stomach. The tiny bits of blood expelled from her finger dwindled easily, only leaving behind a trace at her elbow and a dot on her shorts. That would have to do.

"Mhm. Sorry I left like that. I was just..um. Overwhelmed." That's an understatement. She looked down at her lap for the words, afraid to meet his eyes in case she found something unfamiliar there. Rue bit her lip and kept her volume low, hoping he couldn't smell the puke on her breath or recently flushed. "I should go back now, huh? Shouldn't have interrupted."

Last edited: