Before The Dawn [IC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Avarielle ignored her warning and went to sleep in the barn anyway, Feyre spared the others of her grief and entered the cold, dusty home. Finding a proper resting spot was not all to difficult, she climbed the stairs looking for the room with the best vantage point. She was so wrapped up in her search that she did not even notice Damian trailing behind her. It was even colder upstairs, but she found a room at the very end of the hall that appeared to be a very modest guest room. The room was sparsely furnished with only a full sized bed in the center complete with a matching end table with an unlit lantern on top, in the corner in front of a large window lay a plush love seat with a matching arm chair in the right corner.

Noticing Damian, Vance, and Ansley decided on the same room, Feyre wordlessly took the candle from off the bedside table and reclined on the love seat claiming it as her own for the evening. She knew the candle would do nothing for warmth, yet she still took a match out and lit it, placing it on the floor beside her. A migraine had finally reared its ugly head, Feyre could only assume it was from using her magic earlier. Taking down her hair from its constraining pony, she began gave her temples a through massage. A loud groan emanated from her stomach, of course hunger was another possibility too. Pulling her large pack up, she opened it reaching in for a loaf of bread she bought from a bakers stand in Woodsend and broke it into four halves.

As the others were getting settled in their spots Feyre got up and placed the remaining halves onto the bedside table for whomever wanted them. Sitting back down she bit into her bread, half surprised that it hadn't staled yet and gazed out the window. It was the perfect vantage point, the window was so large they could see the entire forest line in front of the house. That broken window worried Feyre, it did not look recently broken into but that meant more robbers could come, not that the group couldn't handle it, it would just be an inconvenience.

When she finished her loaf, Feyre reached into her pack and took out the thick wool blanket her grandmother made for her as a present right before her first major quest. Even though that blanket had been to hell and back with her, she still swore that it smelled exactly like home. Gazing out into the tree line, she could only pray to Adilah that Nicodemus returned to the barn, she wasn't even sure if her spell worked, she could have sent him to the Shambles for all she knew.

Laying down, she took out her boot knife and held it close under the blanket. It was a bit unnerving to be sharing a room with three men, she tried to keep her eyes on them as long as she could but her eyes drifted shut.

~Morning~
Feyre awoken to the first light of dawn hitting her closed lids. At first she assumed she was just back at the cottage and her grandmother had opened the curtains again in the middle of the night. She rolled over which usually blocked the sun so she would be able to fall back asleep, but the light still burned her eyes. She groaned and opened them only to realize she wasn't in her room, after the panic had past and yesterday's adventure came back to her she sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Looking out into the dewy tree line it looked the same as it did last night so she safely assumed there was no issues outside while the slept. "What would I know...I could sleep through a war." She whispered to herself as to not wake up her roommates. The Shambles were never ever quiet, so from a young age Feyre had to learn how to tune it all out in order to sleep peacefully at night, so naturally she became a heavy sleeper. Grandmother swore up and down that she never snored, but the old bat could of lied. She smiled fondly on all the pranks her grandmother used to play on the squirrels, drunks, and other easy targets throughout the years.

Her hands moved to her neck almost instantly to stroke the incredibly soft fabric of her chocker, but all her hands met were unfamiliar skin. She shot up out of bed and ran up to the mirror on the wall next to the bed and let out a shaky gasp, it was gone. The only thing that remained was the faint tan line all around her neck. "Who could of done this...w-w-why?" Maybe it fell off. Feyre threw off all the dusty cushions off her makeshift bed, she frantically shook out her blanket and loudly rummaged through her pack. But it wasn't there. She'd lost it. It was the only thing anyone had ever given to her, her only reminder of her her mother, whom she'd never even met. The most precious thing she owned was just gone...like that.

Her heart sped up, threatening to break out of her chest, it felt like she couldn't catch her breath, she didn't loose it. Someone STOLE it. Her eyes lifted and looked at the sleeping forms of her companions. Rage boiled inside of her , threatening to burst. The anger she felt yesterday was simply child's play next to this. She got off the sofa, and finally let out the fire she'd been holding in for what seemed like years, "WAKE UP! GET UP GET UP! WHICH ONE OF YOU MISERABLE LOWLIFES STOLE MY CHOKER! ANSWER ME!" Yelling, screaming, ranting she did not know what to call it. All she knew was she was very loud, and she wouldn't of been surprised if the whole house had heard her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of the trip to the cabin wasn't particularly comfortable for Damian. Just when he thought the tension was starting to settle between the group's members this event just had to happen. He was never one to complain before, but it seemed that nothing was going their way. The odd feeling he had been experiencing ever since their entrance into the forest was digging at the back of his mind too. He made a note to speak to Vance about it once they had settled in the cabin.

It was a surprisingly spacious thing. A small layer of dust coated the walls from lack of use, but other than that Damian had thought it be a fine place to spend the night. He didn't really have a preference on whether they were to sleep in a cabin or outside under the stars, but under the circumstances, if there was sturdy shelter then he'd take that any day.

Damian trailed behind Feyre, thinking she would assign their rooms as it was her cabin; only to find out she was simply choosing her own room and he had stumbled along with her by chance. She didn't appear to think twice about it, probably assuming he was choosing this room as well which was definitely not his intention. Not determined to be seen as the all too innocent villager he settled in his own corner of the room, laying down his own thin sheet which was simply strands of straw sewn together. Not exactly comfortable, but Damian was used to it.

Seeing a small loaf of bread next to him suddenly reminded him of how hungry he was. He looked around and noticed the same pieces next to the other beds (wait, Vance and Ansley were sleeping here too?).

"Thanks. For the bread." He said, standing behind Feyre as she finished setting up the bed. "If you need to talk, then I'm here."

Leaving her with that parting note, he then approached Vance, calling out to him in a much more boisterous tone.

"Vance! We didn't finish our conversation! This way!"

Without giving him any room for interruption, the young Damian eagerly pulled the older Alchemist down the stairs and out of the cabin.

The two began walking further out, picking various ingredients while they talked.

"So listen, I was hoping you could show me a thing or two about making potions. I'm pretty good with plants and such but when it comes to crafting them together I'm only limited to healing. I know this is sudden but I was wondering if you'd show me a thing or two about alchemy. Nothing that can kill! But, distractions and the like. There's no way in a million years I'd be able to be on the front lines with this party but I figured if could give some support then I won't be complete deadweight."

Slipping a few leaves in his bag, he continued in a lower voice.

"Also, I hope I'm not the only one here but...have you been feeling strange? I can't really explain it but something has been nipping away at me ever since we've entered the forest, and it's only gotten more noticeable as we've headed deeper. I'm hoping it isn't something like rookie adventuring jitters. Or maybe it's better if it was that. Because, you know..." He trailed off.

The talk shifted into more lighthearted topics and headed back in before the sun set. Feyre and Ansely were already tucked in by the time they got back. Vance waved him goodnight. Damian decided to stay up for a few more minutes, looking out the window into the moonlight bathed forest and reflecting on his first day. Surely if the first day had been this bad, it couldn't get any worse.

Damian gripped the necklace under his shirt, sending off a silent prayer to Adilah and his parents before heading off to sleep.

------

His sleep was filled with odd dreams. At one point, he was his father; travelling alongside his mother and the Nosferyte, Sayazar, fighting their way through a fortified hideout. In another, he was standing on the edge of a coast overlooking a vast ocean. In the ocean, was a sizeable ship; and even though he had never seen the ship before, or couldn't see anyone on it, he knew that his parents were on it. He saw a fog roll around enveloping the ship. Damian screamed for them to watch out because he knew when the fog vanished, his parents would vanish with it. In another dream he was observer looking down at the party. They were ambushed by...something. The exact 'something' being shrouded in a cloud of darkness. He saw it leap towards him, the him he was observing, and killing him instantly with a slash of its extended claws. He could feel it starring at him, even though its features were masked by the grey cloud.

Damian woke up to the sound of the monster's scream. No...he quickly realised that scream belonged to Feyre. In his groggy state he wasn't sure what she was yelling about. His mind was too occupied with the dreams he had. It would be more appropriate to call them nightmares actually. He brought his hand up to his chest to feel the familiar weight of the necklace only to find it missing. Like a switch, Feyre's screaming became clear. Two people panicking wouldn't do any good. He had to calm her down.

"Feyre. I'm missing something too."

He didn't exactly say what. After all, it was something very personal.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Not even waiting for their responses, Feyre continued to dump all of the contents of her pack out onto the floor. Maps, weapons, tools, brushes, even her undergarments fell to the floor. While it was impossible for her choker to be in there, she could not let herself come to grips with the situation. "It..it..it's gone.." She sat down on the old love seat and stared off into space as tears filled her eyes. "Feyre. I'm missing something too." She looked up at Damian, not even caring that her face was flushed, tears were in her eyes, and her walls were completely down.

"I...I lost it. Its the only thing I have of her, completely priceless. My father said it was passed down from generation to generation, and she wanted me to have it before she died." Feyre's mother was a ghost. Besides the choker, her father never mentioned her, and her grandparents knew nothing about her. Yet the woman existed and she loved Feyre enough to give something so beautiful and so special and Feyre just let someone steal it. Shame and guild bubbled in her stomach as the tears kept coming, she hung her head and sobbed as quietly as she could.

Reactions: Stuffies12
Damian watched as she scurried about the room for her lost item; he himself unconsciously gripping his chest as if by doing so his necklace would reappear in his hands. Feyre turned over her backpack, desperation planted on her face as she sifted through the pile on the floor for the item. A choker, if her screams were any indication of what the item was. His other companions were already awake, looking rather uncomfortable at the sudden display of emotion they had witnessed. Damian had to admit he was rather taken aback himself, not expecting to see Feyre to display such a strong burst of emotion. Yesterday's episode with her horse was one thing, but this was something else entirely. After his own episode, he had learned to keep them in check as long as he was travelling in this group. Looks like their woes weren't going to end quite yet.

He listened quietly as she began to explain the importance of the choker, somewhat surprised at how similarly the item mirrored his own. A family item that had been passed down through generations, serving as a reminder of their late parents to the both of them. While she didn't explicitly mention it, he was sure that the 'she' Feyre was talking about was her mother.

"Mine was a necklace." He started, sitting himself down on the armrest of the chair Feyre was sitting on. If she divulged something personal then it was only fair for him to do the same. "It was passed down from my great grandparents. My mother last wore it. They found it along with her body in the shipwreck. She..." Now Damian couldn't help but sniff in between words as memories came back to him; memories of his parents, when they would all be there together as a family. "She always said how important it was. How I had to keep it safe. I guess I failed, huh?"

He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, showing her a smile. "We'll find it. Your choker and my necklace. But it doesn't do any good to start accusing our teammates off the bat. I want to find the thief just as much as you do."

Damian turned to the other two men in the room who were silent up till this point.

"Let's make sure nothing else was stolen. Check your things. Are you missing anything?"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
The Previous Night

After a walk of mostly looking over his shoulder every minute or so, Vance was quite eager to enter the cabin when it came into view. Whilst he would begrudgingly admit he wasn't the bravest of souls... and had somewhat of a paranoia when moments like this arisen, something was just absolutely off about this. O, what had happened to the Greenwood he so loved to roam around in? It was rare for him to feel this way in such a beloved place...

Vance quickly shut the door behind him when he was the last to enter the cabin, looking around the place hastily and quickly looking through the rooms whilst muttering to himself somewhat. T'was a nice place... maybe a little too nice for his tastes, as it somewhat ruined the fresh authenticity of Greenwood and its ambience, but he wasn't complaining. The place seemed quite secure in the event of an ambush, too.

"Mrh... yes, yes, very good!" Vance mumbled to himself in a satisfied tone when he finally saw the table he desired. It was within a room that three of the others - Damian, Feyre and Ansley - had decided to take up for the night, also. So long as the youngsters didn't knock over any of his equipment or barge into his personal space whilst he was working; he supposed he, Brilliant Alchemist Vance, could allow it.

Hastily taking off his bag and pulling out alchemical instrument after alchemical instrument, placing it onto the table, Vance set up a few minor tools for brewing simple potions on the desk, as well as preparing some of the ingredients for brewing later. More complex potions would likely cause a lot of fumes and noise - something Vance was considerate enough to avoid when sharing a room.

Seeing that Feyre had offered some bread around, Vance supposed it was only polite to eat. He wasn't actually that hungry; whilst Vance did eat as a normal being should, he'd always had an extremely light appetite.
"Ah, wonderful. Many thanks..." Vance took a little bite, paused, then gave a calm smile to himself after he swallowed the first bite of bread. This wasn't just ordinary bread... the texture, the smell... even the sound when he crunched it within his fingers... this was...

"You got this from Woodsend, correct? I'd recognise Ms. Celia's bread anywhere." He muttered to himself with a chuckle. "She bakes as if it were what she was born to do, that woman... haha." Vance paused, looked at the bread in his hand, and looked at the floor for a moment as his smile faded a little.

Time passed, and most of which for Vance consisted of mixing and chopping simple brews upon his table. When his name was called, Vance turned to see Damian requesting to finish the earlier conversation. Whilst Vance wasn't eager to leave his table so soon... he supposed he could make an exception for the young man.

As they head off into the woods and picked ingredients whilst they talked, Vance felt somewhat serene and calm when with the young adventurer. It was pleasant to be with someone who wasn't too loud, demanding... or too 'anything', for that matter. Damian certainly was a nice young man, in Vance's opinion; shame on those who'd frowned upon him.

Damian then said: "So listen, I was hoping you could show me a thing or two about making potions. I'm pretty good with plants and such but when it comes to crafting them together I'm only limited to healing. I know this is sudden but I was wondering if you'd show me a thing or two about alchemy. Nothing that can kill! But, distractions and the like. There's no way in a million years I'd be able to be on the front lines with this party but I figured if could give some support then I won't be complete deadweight."

"Well, my boy, you certainly came to the right man!" Vance declared with a hearty laugh. "Knowing about ingredients is the first stage, but seeing as you know about that already... there is much I can teach you. Tis' oh-so-simple to create cures and repellents with alchemy... you just require careful hands... and to know what every aspect of every ingredient is." Vance matter-of-factly said as he walked, making various gestures as he talked as his black hair flowed behind him. He paused.

"Alchemy, is like painting a picture. Combine every colour... mix every tone correctly, and... mwah! A masterpiece." Vance grinned. "Only you create something a whole lot more special than a painting." Vance paused as he kept walking, thinking to himself for a moment. "And do not be so eager to put yourself down as a deadweight, young man! Don't think the all-seeing eyes of The Great Vance didn't notice that you can use magic. That certainly counts for something, doesn't it?"

Vance then continued on to talk about a few various recipes, techniques and the like to Damian as they walked. Whilst there was certainly a lot more Vance could teach the young adventurer, he was confident he'd taught him quite a few things for today in the fabulous arts of alchemy. It was clear that, even if he didn't appear to be the strongest, the young man oozed potential.

When Damian asked about the strange feeling, Vance nodded.
"Aye... fear not, I can feel something off about Greenwood today, too. I've been in these woods many a time, but I have never felt so... anxious... whilst roaming them. We should certainly keep our wits about us." Vance mumbled. "As for now, nothing seems to be nearby. If we make haste come tomorrow, then we'll be out of these woods before we find the source." He said. ...N-Not that it would be a problem for him.

When they returned to the lodge, Vance finished off a few potions as quietly as he could, before calling it a night. Uttering a quiet goodnight, Vance laid on the floor and - bizarrely - fell asleep with his eyes open.

~ ~ ~

The Following Morning...

Vance woken with a start, the scream of Feyre causing him to gibber a little and scramble to his feet. It took a while for him to actually process what the red-haired ranger had said, as he'd only just woken up. Saying nothing, Vance could only watch the events unfold, too frightened to actually say anything for he didn't want to start a big uproar or argument. It was quite heartbreaking to watch the poor girl cry, but thankfully Damian seemed to comfort her somewhat... though the poor chap seemed quite shattered about the loss of his item, too.

When Damian asked to check his things, Vance nodded. Rifling through his bag and pockets carefully, Vance gave a half-defeated sigh.
"Yes... I'm missing some of my more valuable potions. It seems we've been partially looted." Vance mumbled.

A few of his rare, more elusive and powerful potions had gone missing. One of his flasks of holy fire... one vial of the second finest curative he could make... things like that. Whilst it was troublesome, Vance was beyond relieved when his simple stone mortar was still in the bag. Whilst the mortar and pestle was worthless and crude... he was attached to it more than any of his items. A long story, to say the least. But in general, Vance seemed to be on the lighter end of the spectrum in regards to the thieving ordeal.

Vance knew saying soulless words such as 'I'm so sorry for your loss' wouldn't help at all for the two, especially coming from his mouth. Losing an item so important... with so many memories and so much responsibility attached to it... the feeling must've been just awful. Promising to find whoever stole it didn't appeal to Vance either - because if the thief was efficient... they'd already be off with the jewellery by now.

"Well, I'm sure one of our own group wouldn't be so spiteful as to steal jewellery. Whoever thieved from my bag taken potions that'd fetch a hefty bit of gold." Vance explained. "The most likely scenario is that a thief had his or her eye on us for a while... and chose to strike for the most valuable things tonight. And then afterwards, ran away. It's truly a shame, but we can't let it best us." Vance quietly said. He paused for a long moment, and cleared his throat nervously before speaking.

"If we can find tracks, then it could lead us to the thief. But if they were skilled enough to steal something around your very necks... or out of my beloved bag without even moving it out of place by an inch... I doubt we'll ever see them again." Vance sighed. It certainly wasn't a great way to start the morning, and it would likely take days for the group's spirits to recover from this.

"It still shouldn't hurt to look for any evidence or tracks, but... look." Vance looked at the floor, nervously stuttering before taking a deep breath, before not saying anything. He didn't have the courage to actually say: 'As much as it hurts, w-we have a quest to complete.' because it truly was a crushing blow to lose something so close - not a mere distraction - and some people might've not understood that. Yet still... they all couldn't let the loss of a few simple items make them slip up. It was one of the many trials this quest had undoubtedly thrown at them...

Most has chosen to move upstairs as they arrived to the old but robust cabin that looked liked it was some old merchant get away that had been abandoned some time ago. Choosing the kitchen as it seemed like the most stable room in her own eyes silence quickly settled over the place as the tired travellers settled in for the night. Only two people could be heard as they left for a midnight stroll around the nearby area. Feeling that the evening was warm the female dwarf slipped out of her clothes only leaving the essential undergarments before wrapping her self into a blanket. She doubted anything would happen this night the forest was 'calm' around this place a good sign she thought and drifted into deep sleep.

Loud noises interrupted Adrianna's quiet and comfortable sleep annoyed by this she stirred awake. Looking around from her corner of the bottom floor kitchen she recognised the voice loudly waking the other upstairs and felt thankful for the impulsive choice to remain on the bottom floor to sleep instead. Yet those screams sounded surprised and desperate.
Grabbing the larger blade, the dwarf hurried up stairs still in her undergarments. In moments she had reached the door from which the sounds came and opened it. "Are you done killing each other in here?" She asked only to turn silent right after, seeing the dramatic scene of Feyre crying on the floor with the other young man standing next to her looking shaken quite shaken himself. "Right" with a raised eyebrow Adrianna pondered closing the door again escaping what truly looked like a love drama gone wrong. But there were two other men in the room and so Adri turned her gaze towards them. "Care to explain this? I only caught the last part of what you said" Clearly intrigued by the idea of thievery in this situation the dwarf crossed her arms and leaned towards the doorpost.

Reactions: Navi Jay
A Cabin in the Woods....

Ansley walked on the flank of the group once more, his maul hung over his back as it was before. But it was this time different, he walked at a pace as to be able to constantly scan the Greenwood, for whatever had paid the group a visit was still out there and Ansley did not like how close whatever it was had gotten and he surely didn't intend to let it that close again. But to his relief the mysterious creature the others had exclaimed of seeing briefly or sensing, did not rear it's face for all to see.

Instead they were led to an old derelict cabin by Feyre. Situated in an opening in the Greenwood it would have been a very humble abode to call his own had the grass been kept and were the cabin and the barn well kept. Making their way through the tall grasses of the clearing they entered the cabin. Ansley looked around the house for a few minutes while he brewed on what Feyre had told them of the cabins past, What a shame the previous owner had to off himself, we may have found a warm hearth and a barrel of spirits waiting were he still around... Ansley loathed the last part, what he would do for a respectable spirit right now bordered on murder.

He reached down to his side and fingered his water hide, taking a swig from it he grimaced at the taste of warm mead, Hell not as if I can keep it cool out here anyway, I knew this would happen he thought to himself as he realized for what could be the next few months he may be forced to drink warm spirits unless the group stops at Inns or near homely folk. Ansley dreaded the thought but acknowledged the reality, it was something he had come to realize far before he was in Woodsend but he surely hadn't accepted the idea yet. As he walked the hall he stopped at a room with Feyre and Damian inside it already. Bound to be a quiet place with these two around he thought as he stepped inside the room.

Taking up residence sitting against the wall to the right of the window Ansley rested his maul against the wall and sat against the wall. He began to remove his armor pieces and place them in his bag when the Alchemist entered the room. I doubt it'll be quiet now he thought begrudgingly as the alchemist seemed to empty the volume of his bag three times over onto the table in the center of the room. Ansley watched as vials and containers were produced, and ingredients were drawn from the depths of the bag.

He noticed Feyre place some bread on the table next to her and he stood to take a piece for himself, giving a terse nod as he walked back to his newly claimed spot. Ansley ate the bread quickly, washing it down with another swig of his warm mead. Satisfied for the night he leaned his head back against the wall and crossed his arms, the boy; Damian; began to talk to the Alchemist about potions as Ansley closed his eyes. He listened for a few minutes before he was finally taken to the land of Nod.

The Yelling....

Pulled from his sleep Ansley awoke to the loud screams from Feyre. She was exclaiming that someone had stolen her choker in the night, an odd thing to say seeing as it was quite literally around her neck. No way someone took it, must've fallen. he thought as he cocked his head to the side cracking his neck. He remained sitting against the wall just as he had slept and listened to Feyre, and then as if to fit in Damian came forward with the fact that he too had lost his necklace Oh great, him too. Ansley began to second guess the competence of these "adventurers" that had so easily lost items placed around their necks, when Vance came forward with missing items from his bag. Perhaps they didn't lose their things...

Ansley stood from his spot on the wall and knelt next to his bag, he took out all his armor and made sure that his mead was where he had left it. Satisfied he turned to the three as he strapped a vambrace onto his left arm, "I have to agree with Vance, if you didn't lose it now it's likely you would have lost it later. Harsh aye, I understand they held value to you both but we can't forgo our mission for two keepsakes..." he said to the two young adventurers, his face was strewn with a sad understanding, if there was anything Ansley knew, it was loss. He turned to the wall and hefted his maul up to his hands, gripping it tightly he let out a sigh, "But if tracking them be what you two want..." he paused as he remembered the events of the day prior, "Then I'll have no choice but to keep the two of yous safe while you search, not just any old thief gets into a room without waking any of us up."

"Care to explain this? I only caught the last part of what you said" Came a voice from the doorway.

Ansley quickly looked left, a jolt of pain shooting down his neck to his lower back, tsch, "It would seem there was a thief in the night." he said rubbing his neck, "The thief stole past us and pilfered some items that were of utmost value to these two, and items that likely would be of much assistance from the good Alchemist here." Ansley motioned with his maul one-handed to Vance.

Hearing Ansley's answer Adri nodded seeing the scene in front of her in a new perspective. Though now she wondered what the two mages of the group had been up to this night and if they perhaps had noticed anything strange. Making a mental note to see if Avarielle was still in the barn and to question Sayazar about it too, the low grumbling sound of an empty stomach reminded the dwarf of what time it was and where priorities where set at the moment. At least for her food was an important part of the morning.

"Well then i guess i should get my stuff so we can get a search on" Adrianna turned in the door and walked out however in a brief moment she stopped and raised her voice. "In the meantime how about we gather down stairs and get some breakfast started!?" Since her own sleep was interrupted and most likely everyone else's to from the commotion it was better to get them all gathered to eat and talk.
Yeah eating together usually improved relations, except for that time when it ended in a bloodbath. But hopefully this group didn't have cranky morning characters prone to massacre for a piece of bread.

"Now to see if i lost anything too i guess" The dwarf sighed heading down creaky old stairs and turned for the kitchen where she began searching her own things before grabbing clothes and armour.
A few things where missing in the bag most of it could easily be replaced. But two items where of the kind Adri would preferably not have the mages in the group find out about as it would most likely raise unnecessary drama if taken out of context.
Mage hunting tools could be a touchy subject in this day and age after all. And since it was likely they where going to look for them it was better to give them a fair warning beforehand on this matter.

Avarielle Wheeler
As the rest of the group began to rise, a congregation of sorts gathered on the ground floor of the lodge as attempts were made to determine what had happened over the night. It seemed that almost everyone had items missing; even Lucine, who found several pairs of eyes upon her in silent accusation, professed that some of her belongings had been stolen. Neither Avarielle nor Sayazar had been victim to the theft; but they'd taken magical precautions to protect their quarters. Still, it placed them in a suspicious position. It seemed Ansley had also evaded the thieves... But he seemed too righteous to take what was not his; perhaps he just lacked anything of worth. As each of the party explored their own theories internally, Avarielle spoke up.

"I am more than certain that none of our own are behind this." she said, recalling the events of the night before. "There were creatures here last night; small, swift and numerous. I didn't get a good enough look at them from the barn, but I did manage to chase them off. I found the door ajar but fortunately found you all sleeping peacefully... Which struck me as rather odd, considering the commotion they stirred up in their departure." She paused for a moment, looking around the group as she became acutely aware that she was in a rather incriminating position. Nobody else had seen or even heard what she had; she had nothing but her word. What bothered her the most was that she knew, had she been told the very same tale, she would suspect it to be an overthought alibi. She snapped her focus back to attention.

"Whatever it was, I believe it had magic on its side. How else could it have taken items from under our very noses; from around our very necks?" she said, glancing to Sayazar for support. "We've all been sensing things, and I felt it strongly just before whatever those things were descended on the lodge." She surveyed the group once more, hoping to detect signs of faith among her comrades. "But it matters not. We have underestimated this forest. Vastoria is beginning to look somewhat welcoming."

Narrator
After further discussion, the group eventually packed those items that had not been stolen, and left behind the old Porter Lodge. There was a spring in the step of the party; seemingly spurred on by the alarming nature of the previous night's unseen activities, they covered ground beyond what had been expected. By now, it was midday, and the group drew closer to Amor... Which left them in a difficult position for the night ahead: Would they set up camp, and reach Amor later the next day? Or push on through the night, and arrive at the capital by sunrise?

Avarielle Wheeler
As the group took a moments break in a pleasant clearing, Avarielle reached into a nearby stream and splashed its bounty across her face; rubbing the cool water into her skin with grateful force. She wasn't particularly hot or dirty; moreso, she felt the urge to be cleansed. That filthy invisible miasma still hung, thicker now as they ventured further into the forest, but Avarielle had pledged to herself against mentioning it. She knew they were all aware of it: even those without arcane knowledge could surely detect the unease on each mage's face. Better not to dwell on such information; keep their eyes forward and move with haste. She recalled the earlier discussions regarding their plans for the night, and felt compelled to speak up once more.

"In case I didn't make myself clear earlier," she said, referring to the discussion the group had as they walked regarding their plans for the night. "I must stress: we should move through the night." she said, clearly, though not to anyone in particular. She looked at Sayazar, warning him against mentioning that she had barely slept the night before. Ava was intent on getting out of this forest as swiftly as possible.

"We have all witnessed unknown stealth by nightfall. Better to be awake and alert, than sleeping and defenceless." she concluded. There was little time for discussion to emerge, though, as somebody pointed at the earth a small way away.

"Is that blood?" they exclaimed.

Indeed it was; a large quantity of it, pooling on the grass and then trailing off into the dense woodland nearby. Whatever had happened there was the work of no ordinary forest creature; the blood suggested that the kill was messy, but nothing else remained of its prey. No fur, no bones or organs... Just that trail, and upon further inspection by another of the group, many large, triangular footprints leading in the same direction. Avarielle paled ever so slightly, before clearing her throat.

"I hear Amor has some fantastic inns," she said, staring at the scarlet-stained earth. "Perhaps it's best we wait to lay our heads there." She just hoped that none of these fools wanted to investigate... They had a job to do, and the sooner they got the damn scroll to Vastoria, the better.​

Status
Not open for further replies.