BEER CHAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been eyeing Not Your Father's for a bit, and I do like root beer. I think I found my next victim.

As for Strongbow, I wasn't sure they even sold it because it didn't really look familiar. So I googled it and now I want some. ;_;

Reactions: Astaroth
I like beer especially with pizza like I'm gonna have tonight.
* Heineken (the others brands are from my country)

I only like original Strongbow. The Dark Fruits version tastes like cough syrup.

Beer is my go-to choice for alcohol ... then, Bourbon and Scotch.

My beer palette is pretty vast, depending upon my mood, but I do have some dislikes. Hefeweizen is a non-starter, since I'm disgusted by anything, even remotely, banana-flavor. IPAs are off my list ... too hoppy and too carbonated. Many of the craft breweries where I live make beer that are insubstantial with a flavored aftertaste ... which really turns me off. Beers to me need to have body to be enjoyable, and that goes for lighter-bodied Pilsner and Kölsch beers. Bud = piss.

Among my favorites ...
  • Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier (Smoke Beer) - Definitely an acquired taste, but I love it.
  • Utenos - A lighter beer from Lithuania. Also worth considering is it's darker cousin, Švyturys.
  • Crabbie's Ginger Beer - Not beer, per se, but something I enjoy often.
  • St. Peter's Cream Stout - Any choice from this brewery is good.
  • Märzen - Not a brewery, but a type of German beer I really enjoy in season.
  • Spaten - A good, all-round brew. The darker, Optimator, is a Doppelbock version that is worth trying.
  • Köstritzer Schwarzbier - Possibly my favborite of the bunch ... super dark and rich.

As a side note, I tried making beer from a kit more than once. Each time had disastrous results. The mixes are supposedly idiot-proof, which probably tells you something.

Reactions: Astaroth
I only like original Strongbow. The Dark Fruits version tastes like cough syrup.
I like the honey one. Haven't tried Dark Fruits.

Shit, if we're doing a quick aside on ciders I'd be remiss not to mention...

Quick Disclaimer: a good mate of mine works for these chaps. But I'd be recommending it regardless of this fact so fuck it.

This stuff is proper, old-school cider; smooth, dangerously-drinkable and at an ABV that will mess you up pretty quickly (the original stuff is about 6.2%, other varieties vary around that mark). I find this stuff immeasurably more drinkable than stuff like Strongbow/Magners/Blackthorn, because it doesn't have that chemically-sour taste those ciders seem to all be rocking. Seriously, this stuff goes down as easy as apple juice.

It's not, though.

Please don't drink this like apple juice.

That would be bad.

They're spreading over Scotland pretty fast and selling abroad too, so you may well be able to find this stuff State-side as well. 'Original' is my personal favourite, but if you're partial to whisky they have a cider that's been matured in Glen Moray whisky casks to add that smokey flavour to the mix. Good shit.

#ShillingIntensifies

Agreed. Sapporo is good, but I'm not a Yebisu fan either.

Yes, somehow Yebisu still has popularity, but not with me or you I guess! :D

266px-Kasteelbierdonker.jpg
201_300px_thumb.jpg

leffe_blonde_ogive_0.png
duvel_02.jpg

Mmm. Beer.
These look interesting... if I was to choose one only from this group, which would you recommend?

These look interesting... if I was to choose one only from this group, which would you recommend?
For me, Kasteel looks far more appetizing! :D

Reactions: Mari
Personally, I enjoy a kasteel best. As far as recommendations go, it sorta depends. Kasteel is good, but it's a bit too rich in taste to start with for most. It's kind of a beer to build up to, then enjoy at your leisure. Lamme Goedzak is a bit more fruity, though deceptively strong for it's taste. Leffe is a brand with a lot of good beers, but has some great tripels especially. Whereas Duvel is a more bitter for a blonde, but equally good. All of them are fairly heavy for beers, I mean it's no Absint, but it is something to keep in mind because this tends to be tricky for people who aren't used to that (which is pretty much everyone I've ever drank with from Oceania, Asia, North and South America.)

• Thank You
Reactions: Mari and Astaroth
And the verdict?

I've had them all before. Scrumpy Jack is one of my favourite brands of cider, and I like Bacchus. I'm drinking it now.

Reactions: Cerulean
Anybody do any drinking on St. Patrick's? If so, was it green beer? (If so I am judging you just a little.)

I like beer too. It's not my faaave, but I do drink it when I'm hunting or on the lake. I'm not a beer snob though. My go to beer is Miller Lite. If I'm feeling fancy I drink Tangerine wheat or Wild Blue. Wild Blue I'd kinda girly as it tastes like blueberry but it's 8% so..I'll take it!

Anybody do any drinking on St. Patrick's? If so, was it green beer? (If so I am judging you just a little.)
No beer on that day for me, but I had some green tea :D

Status
Not open for further replies.