Status
Not open for further replies.
266px-Kasteelbierdonker.jpg
201_300px_thumb.jpg

leffe_blonde_ogive_0.png
duvel_02.jpg

Mmm. Beer.

Reactions: Mari
When I was allowed to drink, I never found a beer I liked. They all have that same yeasty aftertaste that I find super unpleasant.

Reactions: Windsong
Resident Wisconsinite here, the only state with similar drinking laws to Europe.

I prefer the micro-brews, local and otherwise. I lived next to a brewery that made Point Beer, their Point Special is one of the best I've had, as well as their seasonals. It's a fairly popular brand that I hear ships to the UK, so keep an eye open. I usually like the more bizarre brews, stuff like Midas Touch or Smoke Ale, but I'll try anything once....or six times.

Imports are my second favorite, I can always go for a good heavy, dark beer. And same as above I'll try anything once, Xingu being one of my favorite imports. But pretty much anything from Central Europe will get an A+ rating from me, but that's just my inner-German.

I'll really only drink Light Beer if I'm trying to get drunk, which is easy cause everyone in the US drinks Light Beer. So I drink it often cause it's handed to me, but I'll rarely buy it. I'll take Malt Liquors though almost any day, even if they turn my insides out.

The only thing I wont drink is IPAs or anything else with an intentionally hoppy taste. I want to drink beer, not eat it.

About the first time I agree with anything you say. I never will understand "Aquired taste"
To be fair, he only drinks to get piss drunk. Alone. In his room. He'd drink piss if it had alcohol content.

Edit: @Seiji , I've tried a couple of hard apple ciders like Strongbow, my wife's idea. They weren't bad but still had that beer-y twang that I can't seem to enjoy. Mike's Hard Lemonade stuff too wasn't bad, but man that twang of aftertaste was brutal.

When I was allowed to drink, I never found a beer I liked. They all have that same yeasty aftertaste that I find super unpleasant.
I am ALMOST right there with you, in that I just don't find beers that I like. It's weird and IDK why.

HOWEVER! I do find that I tend to lean towards the Red's Apple/Strawberry/Orphan Tears Ale, Shocktop, Woodchuck, Angry Orchard, Mike's Hard, and would probably like anything similar to these.

My preferred beers in order:

Asahi Super Dry (Japan)

Kirin Ichiban (Japan)

Tiger Beer (Singapore)

Bud Light (US)

To be fair, he only drinks to get piss drunk. Alone. In his room. He'd drink piss if it had alcohol content.

Edit: @Seiji , I've tried a couple of hard apple ciders like Strongbow, my wife's idea. They weren't bad but still had that beer-y twang that I can't seem to enjoy. Mike's Hard Lemonade stuff too wasn't bad, but man that twang of aftertaste was brutal.
That twang is called THE TASTE OF MANLINESS.

LAGUNITAS, YES!!

Stella Artois is notbad.jpeg, but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over priced.

With Corona, oh man. So good on a hot day. Take a lime wedge, cram that in, stick a finger into the bottle neck, tilt it upside down, let the lime sink to the bottom of the bottle, and slooooooooooooowly tilt the bottle upright, and gently exit your finger.

Woah.

Woah.

Reactions: Astaroth
Guess I'll shoutout a couple Scottish breweries and beers, then. If you click the images they'll link you to the breweries respective websites.

These guys are based out of Clackmannanshire so they're semi-local for me, and thus a common sight in most local pubs. Not had the chance to visit their brewery yet, but the beers I can recommend are:
  • Schiehallion: Craft lager, named after a local mountain. Lager is one of the most commonly drunk beers in the UK, so for the longest time a lot of microbreweries held it with a bit of disdain. That's kind of been changing lately, though, and the result is a lot of really pleasant, drinkable beers like this one.
  • Bitter & Twisted: Golden ale, supposedly named for the head brewer's wife. Really sweet and fruity, nice dry after-taste. I'm actually drinking one of these whilst writing this up, so hey.

Proper old-school, family-owned microbrewery based out of Clackmannanshire as well (good beer scene in Central Scotland). The two brothers who started it are still running it to date. Couple beers of theirs that I love are:
  • Joker IPA: I'm a sucker for IPAs, and this is a damn good one. It's not got the highest ABV (just 5%), but that can be a good thing with IPAs; it means that the hops are present and potent, but not so overwhelming that the drown out the other flavours in the beer.
  • March of the Penguins: On the other hand, Stouts have never really done it for me. At all. Which is why March is worth a shout-out, cos it's a stout I actually really enjoy drinking.

Glasgow-based brewery, aiming to bring the beer-making styles of Germany to Scotland. These guys make some brilliant beers, but where they really shine is in creating an experience at their beerhall. Which they have. Seriously, if you're ever in Glasgow and fancy a German-style drinking experience, these guys are where it's at. A couple decent beers they make are:
  • St. Mungo: This baby is their flagship beer, a German-style lager that's so very, very drinkable it's dangerous. I have got properly fucked up on this stuff in the past. And I would do it again, happily.
  • Hefeweizen: It wouldn't be a German-style brewery without a wheat beer, after all. Honestly, it's not my favourite thing in the world, but that's cos I don't like wheat beers. If it's your sort of style, you will really enjoy this one. Whenever we're at the beerhall my wheat-beer mates can't stay away from this stuff.

These guys are kind of the big name in Scottish craft beer right now. Based up in Aberdeenshire, they're now spread all across Scotland and are looking to make the jump across the pond to the States soon. Like West they don't just make beer they also do bars, which are usually great places to drink in (if you don't mind the price). These chaps to a ton of beer, but a few noteworthy ones are:
  • Punk IPA: This is the beer they made their name with, and it's still going strong to date. Got a really heavy fruit flavour that can make it appealing even to those heathens guys who don't do IPA. And if you're a hops fan, it's got you covered in a big way.
  • 5AM Red Ale: Not mentioned many red ales, so let me rectify that with this guy. If you like beer with lots of fruity flavours, this one will do you proud. Lots of berry tastes and a bit of caramel thrown in for good measure.
  • Sink the Bismarck!: I think this one remains the strongest beer commercially available in Europe, it's ABV at a whopping 41%. Drink at your own risk: it will fuck you up.

THAT'S IT FOR THE SCOTTISH BEERS FOR NOW, I'LL SEE IF I CAN'T PULL TOGETHER SOME STUFF FOR BRITISH CRAFT BEER NEXT.

• Love
My preferred beers in order:

Asahi Super Dry (Japan)

Kirin Ichiban (Japan)

Tiger Beer (Singapore)

Bud Light (US)
Tiger Beer SOOOO GOOD.

Guess I'll shoutout a couple Scottish breweries and beers, then. If you click the images they'll link you to the breweries respective websites.

These guys are based out of Clackmannanshire so they're semi-local for me, and thus a common sight in most local pubs. Not had the chance to visit their brewery yet, but the beers I can recommend are:
  • Schiehallion: Craft lager, named after a local mountain. Lager is one of the most commonly drunk beers in the UK, so for the longest time a lot of microbreweries held it with a bit of disdain. That's kind of been changing lately, though, and the result is a lot of really pleasant, drinkable beers like this one.
  • Bitter & Twisted: Golden ale, supposedly named for the head brewer's wife. Really sweet and fruity, nice dry after-taste. I'm actually drinking one of these whilst writing this up, so hey.

Proper old-school, family-owned microbrewery based out of Clackmannanshire as well (good beer scene in Central Scotland). The two brothers who started it are still running it to date. Couple beers of theirs that I love are:
  • Joker IPA: I'm a sucker for IPAs, and this is a damn good one. It's not got the highest ABV (just 5%), but that can be a good thing with IPAs; it means that the hops are present and potent, but not so overwhelming that the drown out the other flavours in the beer.
  • March of the Penguins: On the other hand, Stouts have never really done it for me. At all. Which is why March is worth a shout-out, cos it's a stout I actually really enjoy drinking.

Glasgow-based brewery, aiming to bring the beer-making styles of Germany to Scotland. These guys make some brilliant beers, but where they really shine is in creating an experience at their beerhall. Which they have. Seriously, if you're ever in Glasgow and fancy a German-style drinking experience, these guys are where it's at. A couple decent beers they make are:
  • St. Mungo: This baby is their flagship beer, a German-style lager that's so very, very drinkable it's dangerous. I have got properly fucked up on this stuff in the past. And I would do it again, happily.
  • Hefeweizen: It wouldn't be a German-style brewery without a wheat beer, after all. Honestly, it's not my favourite thing in the world, but that's cos I don't like wheat beers. If it's your sort of style, you will really enjoy this one. Whenever we're at the beerhall my wheat-beer mates can't stay away from this stuff.

These guys are kind of the big name in Scottish craft beer right now. Based up in Aberdeenshire, they're now spread all across Scotland and are looking to make the jump across the pond to the States soon. Like West they don't just make beer they also do bars, which are usually great places to drink in (if you don't mind the price). These chaps to a ton of beer, but a few noteworthy ones are:
  • Punk IPA: This is the beer they made their name with, and it's still going strong to date. Got a really heavy fruit flavour that can make it appealing even to those heathens guys who don't do IPA. And if you're a hops fan, it's got you covered in a big way.
  • 5AM Red Ale: Not mentioned many red ales, so let me rectify that with this guy. If you like beer with lots of fruity flavours, this one will do you proud. Lots of berry tastes and a bit of caramel thrown in for good measure.
  • Sink the Bismarck!: I think this one remains the strongest beer commercially available in Europe, it's ABV at a whopping 41%. Drink at your own risk: it will fuck you up.

THAT'S IT FOR THE SCOTTISH BEERS FOR NOW, I'LL SEE IF I CAN'T PULL TOGETHER SOME STUFF FOR BRITISH CRAFT BEER NEXT.
I've actually heard of Brewdog!! I hope it makes it over here. I want to drink it up.

@Nydanna @Dervish

It's cool that you guys don't like beer, but I specifically asked people not to post stuff like that in my opening post. :[ Windsong mentioned he doesn't like beer but he also asked for recs, which gives it a different context. I'd just rather the negative stuff stay out of this particular thread.

@October Knight @Kestrel

-Adds all of those beers to his to-try list, especially the Lagunitas stout-

Well actually, I've had Duvel. But not the others.

@Cpt Toellner

I like Midas Touch too. Personally though, I don't drink Light, it just tastes really off to me.

@Windsong

You might just not like beer, it sounds like. Which is okay. But if you want to try the stuff I rec'd earlier, go for it. Depends on how adventurous you are I guess.

@Cerulean

Have you tried Strongbow? And if you like root beer at all (or even if you don't, because I know someone who hates root beer but swears by this stuff) you ought to try Not Your Father's.

@Mari

I like Asahi and Kirin Ichiban too! If I'm at a Japanese restaurant and feel like a beer, that's the first thing I look for.

@Grumpy

You are further cementing my belief that I need to come to Scotland and get drunk with you.

Resident Wisconsinite here, the only state with similar drinking laws to Europe.

I prefer the micro-brews, local and otherwise. I lived next to a brewery that made Point Beer, their Point Special is one of the best I've had, as well as their seasonals. It's a fairly popular brand that I hear ships to the UK, so keep an eye open. I usually like the more bizarre brews, stuff like Midas Touch or Smoke Ale, but I'll try anything once....or six times.

Imports are my second favorite, I can always go for a good heavy, dark beer. And same as above I'll try anything once, Xingu being one of my favorite imports. But pretty much anything from Central Europe will get an A+ rating from me, but that's just my inner-German.

I'll really only drink Light Beer if I'm trying to get drunk, which is easy cause everyone in the US drinks Light Beer. So I drink it often cause it's handed to me, but I'll rarely buy it. I'll take Malt Liquors though almost any day, even if they turn my insides out.

The only thing I wont drink is IPAs or anything else with an intentionally hoppy taste. I want to drink beer, not eat it.
You drink light... beer... to get drunk? American Light Beer is like drinking piss man! It not even strong enough to be considered beer over here!

Hey man, respect what a crate 3% abv can do to you if you neck them fast enough.

Their numbers may make them piss water, but they add up.

And it's cheap, which I think is the main appeal.

Tiger Beer SOOOO GOOD.
@Mari Tiger is such a nice beer 8D

It's one of the many things I look forward to when going to Singapore. It goes great with chinese food especially :)

@Mari

I like Asahi and Kirin Ichiban too! If I'm at a Japanese restaurant and feel like a beer, that's the first thing I look for.

Excellent choices! Sapporo is also a good one though it would rank third behind Asahi and Kirin. And I don't like Yebisu...

Excellent choices! Sapporo is also a good one though it would rank third behind Asahi and Kirin. And I don't like Yebisu...
Agreed. Sapporo is good, but I'm not a Yebisu fan either.

Reactions: Mari
I like reds, stouts, porters, and various ales. Sometimes IPAs, but unlike Ozzie I prefer IPAs with citrus notes. I can be pretty picky about beers because I hate most lagers with extreme prejudice.

When in doubt? Cider.

I love a chocolate stout, tho.

If I'm going out to tie one on and seriously get drunk, though, I can't do it with beer. I get too full after only 2 or 3. Full and sleepy. It's gotta be liquor then.

Status
Not open for further replies.