Becoming British

Florida is bipolar. It's so fricking hot during summer and so dang cold in the "winter" time.
As a Canadian who lives in a place which sometimes gets colder than Siberia, your "winter" is t-shirt and shorts weather for me.

Reactions: LunaValentine
As a Canadian who lives in a place which sometimes gets colder than Siberia, your "winter" is t-shirt and shorts weather for me.

I went to Disney World in January one year, flew in from blizzard conditions and arrived to 60 degree "winter" weather. The native floridians gave me strange looks for not having a coat, and no joke, I saw some of the DW staff in parkas. Craziness.

Reactions: Dervish
I went to Disney World in January one year, flew in from blizzard conditions and arrived to 60 degree "winter" weather. The native floridians gave me strange looks for not having a coat, and no joke, I saw some of the DW staff in parkas. Craziness.
Bloody what? Really? That's above freezing, isn't it?:rotfl:

Keep laughing and go there in the summer. Or South Texas. See how fast you snow monsters last in that humid heat.

• Love
Reactions: Dervish
Bloody what? Really? That's above freezing, isn't it?:rotfl:

Well above freezing. Google tells me its 15/16 degrees Celsius.

Keep laughing and go there in the summer. Or South Texas. See how fast you snow monsters last in that humid heat.

I've been to SC in mid June and pacific coastal Mexico (no idea what the town was called) during the rainy season - it didn't rain a single day that week. I'm pretty sure I grew a pair of balls just so they could sweat. So yes, I would much prefer to live where its freezing and I have a chance to get warm rather than live where it's hot and humid.

Not all southerners are that way.

Couple years back we actually got some snow ( which is rare as fuck in south texas ) and it was down to about 20 degrees or so.

Half the people where I work didn't show up because of the ice and snow on the roads. Which, considering the fact that they're ill prepared for such conditions and have no idea how to drive on them, was probably pretty smart.

I went to work though. And on break, I was outside in just jeans and a tshirt, smoking my cig. Everyone else thought I was fucking nuts, and they were bundled up in layers of clothing and jackets.

I work in 35-40 degree temps on a daily basis. No jacket. I sweat too much if I do wear a jacket.

So yeah, we're not all afraid of the cold. And if push comes to shove, we can simply layer on clothing, adapt and all that.

But as was formerly stated by Idle. I highly doubt any of the northerners could handle our hot weather. I remember in NY a year or so ago, it got hot and they were reporting that people were literally dying from the heat. And it was hardly above 100. Generally we have temperatures in the triple digits for a few months during summer. It was sad, but kind of amusing. I guess people up there don't have AC's?

I went to Disney World in January one year, flew in from blizzard conditions and arrived to 60 degree "winter" weather. The native floridians gave me strange looks for not having a coat, and no joke, I saw some of the DW st[BCOLOR=rgb(8, 8, 8)]aff in parkas. Craziness.
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(8, 8, 8)][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(8, 8, 8)]Similar thing when I went to Universal Studios in Orlando a few years back. I was the only guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt in February when I went and I rode the hell out of those water rides. A couple years later, it was a bit warmer and I went to see my relatives who were all wearing thick sweaters and had the heat on, I was pretty much sweating and wanted to open a window.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(8, 8, 8)][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(8, 8, 8)]

Been to Florida in August before. It was uncomfortably hot but it wasn't murder for me (I take heat when I can get it, as Brovo can attest we get six months of snow), but I was also on the Gulf, so it wasn't the humid interior.[/BCOLOR]

Florida is bipolar. It's so fricking hot during summer and so dang cold in the "winter" time.
Try South Texas. We don't have seasons. We have 9 months of summer and 3 months of fall. And the 3 months of fall like to alternate between mildly warm to mildly cool. It can be extremely cloudy in the morning and look like it's going to rain, but clear up and be hot as hell. Or be clear and suddenly out of no where we get hit with a massive monsoon. I've learned down here to expect the weather to change five times in a day.

[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#080808]Similar thing when I went to Universal Studios in Orlando a few years back. I was the only guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt in February when I went and I rode the hell out of those water rides. A couple years later, it was a bit warmer and I went to see my relatives who were all wearing thick sweaters and had the heat on, I was pretty much sweating and wanted to open a window.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#080808]Been to Florida in August before. It was uncomfortably hot but it wasn't murder for me (I take heat when I can get it, as Brovo can attest we get six months of snow), but I was also on the Gulf, so it wasn't the humid interior.[/BCOLOR]

Well above freezing. Google tells me its 15/16 degrees Celsius.
I've been to SC in mid June and pacific coastal Mexico (no idea what the town was called) during the rainy season - it didn't rain a single day that week. I'm pretty sure I grew a pair of balls just so they could sweat. So yes, I would much prefer to live where its freezing and I have a chance to get warm rather than live where it's hot and humid
That's because you are a snow beast. :D

That's because you are a snow beast. :D

What's sad, is that I'm really not. I'm accustomed to cold weather and lake effect snow storms/blizzards. But I hate them as much as hot/humid weather. If I have to choose between extremes, I'll take snow and ice and cold, but I'll still bitch about it.

I need to find a place that is 40-75 degrees year round.

Edit:
@ghengismike
Yeah that happens, and a lot of time its the elderly population. AC is not a given, so when the temps rise higher than normal, people die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try South Texas. We don't have seasons. We have 9 months of summer and 3 months of fall. And the 3 months of fall like to alternate between mildly warm to mildly cool. It can be extremely cloudy in the morning and look like it's going to rain, but clear up and be hot as hell. Or be clear and suddenly out of no where we get hit with a massive monsoon. I've learned down here to expect the weather to change five times in a day.

Lol no thank you. How is that even bipolar? xD

@Red Velvet

...Whut. What is my area of expertise supposed to be? Shame wh-

...Oh goddammit it's the whale joke again isn't it. I thought that was dead.

It's more like multiple personality disorder.

I don't understand what you're trying to get at. I'm just saying because Florida has really hot days and really cold days (in my opinion) it's bipolar. I apologize if my joke doesn't seem to go well with you since you seem to be more serious about that particular disorder.

Having read this thread, @PinkArrow, I've come to conclude that you're just not grumpy enough to be British. You might pass for a Canadian, though.

In all honesty.. I feel British just for the damn fact of having to live in the UK in the past three years, and for the fact of constantly using the words such as 'mate'/ 'ta-da'/ etc and that I got used to this stupid weather..~ ha ha .