Beautiful Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anrar had been around long enough - much longer than Fred could guess at, he was sure - to know human behavior and their emotions long before they actually expressed them out loud. It was just the feeling one got off them when near and the blond could easily tell that the woman beside him was unsure about the choice she'd made. She was nostalgic and quiet, and when she finally spoke, it was a question she didn't even seem to realize she was going to ask and Anrar smiled just slightly, sadly before he looked to her, dark green eyes meeting pale green evenly as she started to change the subject rather rapidly.

"They're fun, yes. Usually they offer a variety of activities like swimming, balls, golf, scuba-diving, buffets and the like. Cruises last about two weeks, so when we make land again, we'll....regrettably be taking a plane..." The blond frowned as if realizing something he would have rather not and he grimaced slightly, looking out the window and then sighing, resigning himself to the decision he had to make. "Yeah, we'll have to take a plane to Scotland."

What was in Scotland? Anrar would have thought that question much too loaded and general all at the same time if Fred hadn't clarified a bit with the leprechaun joke and he relaxed a little, showing a hint of amusement in his eyes as he answered, rather relieved that he wouldn't have to yet explain why they were going there specifically. "There are no leprechauns, but the Minor Faeries are quite insulted to be referred to as such, I can assure you." He actually smiled then, widely and went on, completely serious. "The Sidhe are a far more ancient kind of fae and they live in abundance in the Highlands. There are some species of unicorn there, too and Selkies abound. No dwarves, but there are Sirens, Nymphs and Banshees. I think the High Elves passed through Scotland a few years back, too..."

Dark eyes glanced back into lighter ones and Anrar spoke quietly. "There are no more places to go to, Fre. It's why I have to be careful." His gaze searched hers for a moment, as if trying to memorize the compassion and friendliness he saw there, like he wouldn't see it again for a long while, like it could be snatched away at a moment's notice. His voice lowered even furthur. "You don't have to do this. You can go now if you wish it."

Everything Anrar just told her about Scotland left her mind when he told her she could turn back. Fred shook her head slowly, "And what? I'd just get killed, right? I'm not stupid, Ale- Anrar... I-I know what will happen. I'll go home, they'll be there thinking you or I will come back and then I'm done for." A hand sliced in the air as if to cut something off, probably her head. "It seems the better option then just getting the shit kicked out of me again." her last words faded as she turned her attention back out the window.

She had a slight frown, "Life isn't perfect but I take what I'm given, and given the opportunity I'll take the best route to what I'll call a home." After a moment of silence she turned back to him and an apologetic look in her eyes. "I'm sorry... That must have seemed a bit harsh. It just.. Ya'know... Its like reliving the same dream over and over. There is always a silver lining but there are the things you have to change; your name, look, style... life." The word life left her lips as if she were saying the name of a lost loved one. "I do appreciate you letting me come along and not leaving me to fight if I had to... It can just be conflicting."

He would have been happy to hear her call him by his real name - it had been so long since someone had done so - if it hadn't been for the words that followed and the blond seemed to withdraw. He wasn't pouting or sulking, but merely distancing himself because in his experience, doing that was the best way to avoid being hurt emotionally and he realized in that moment that he'd been too open with Fred, desiring a friend too much. He needed to back away and maintain that distance until Fred herself made it clear exactly what she wanted from him.

What he wanted didn't matter. He'd learned that long ago.

Anrar nodded in a quiet way to her words and then simply looked at her with a guarded but gentle expression at her apology, listening further before he replied calmly, quietly. "I understand. You need not apologize. You didn't ask for this danger and I wish I could have kept it from you. I know that this is not what you wanted. I am the one who is sorry. If I could...fix this, I would. I will keep you as safe as I can, I swear it."

He didn't know how much more he could say than that because he couldn't make this right and Anrar let his hair fall around his face, shielding it from sight as he looked down at his wrist, frowning at the red that still seeped through. He really should have been paying more attention to that. The male moved his fingers over the soaked bandage and he felt the bleeding stop as his power controlled the flow of liquid and the blond leaned against the door, his head resting on the window as he closed his eyes and tried not to fall asleep all at the same time.

They'd arrive at their destination in a few hours, but a lot could happen before then. He knew that from experience.

Last edited:
Fred was quiet for a few minutes, her mind was silent but her fingers kept fidgeting with the zipper of her bag. Looking over to see him leaning into the door she felt bad, neither of them wanted this and she could be a bit nicer since they have a bit of a drive together. "Anrar..." she whispered, just in case she fell asleep, "Give me your arm again." gently she took his hand, not caring if her hands became red from his blood.

Opening up her bag she dug inside for an old shirt, it was purple with a paisley pattern covering the fabric, and tore it into a few pieces. At this pace she may not have any clothes left but she didn't care at his point. Carefully she removed the drenched gauze and wrapped the torn fabric around his wrist. "Once we stop be need to get medical supplies. You shouldn't have opened the wound back up." Fred stated letting go of his wrist and placing her bag on the floor to rest her hands into her lap. "Do you know how long it will take to get to the coast?"

His name fell from her lips again, more gently this time, quieter and the blond lifted his head a little, blinking. When she requested his arm, Anrar gave it to her even as she reached for it and he watched her silently as she examined the injury and wrapped it again. It didn't bleed at all while she worked because he didn't let it, controlling the flow of his own blood. When he was in his water stage he could do that, control any form of liquid. He wasn't in any danger of bleeding out for a week and that was a small silver lining.

"I had to. During different times of the month, different stages of my power, I have different ways of shielding myself and during my water stage, it's through blood. I didn't have a choice." he explained in a low voice so the cab driver wouldn't hear as he put his wrist back in his lap and leaned his head back against the window, weariness pulling at every inch of him. He couldn't go to sleep, though. His overactive mind wouldn't let him.

"A few hours." Anrar looked over again and smiled reassuringly. "You can sleep if you want to. I'll know if someone is near." With that he leaned his head back against his door and he kept watch out the window, letting the world pass by and lull his frayed nerves.

--

They arrived at the coastal city as it was getting dark and Anrar paid the cab driver before moving around to join Fred as she exited the vehicle. The lights around them were bright, the streets alive with life and the blond looked around warily before he looked down at the smaller female by his side and he brushed his fingers against her arm, beckoning for her to follow with an incline of his head.

"This is New Orleans. I'm sure you know enough about it from a human perspective, but from a mythical one...this city was the birth of vampires in this land. They came over from Europe and settled here, spreading out. New Orleans is to mythicals what Hollywood is to actors. It's their homeland. Every mythical visits here at least once." His dark green eyes looked down into her paler green. "Stay close. Few humans knows this is one of the most dangerous places they can ever come to."

That said, he kept a careful eye on Fred while at the same time keeping a look out for anyone who would give them trouble, though, he didn't expect any as most mythicals came here to have a good time and rarely looked for a fight. Anrar wasn't really one to trust to that mentality, though.

At his words of sleep she attempted to relax back into the taxi's seat with a huff, her forehead leaning into the window with a soft thud. Closing her eyes she wanted to sleep but her mind was still heavy and running a muck. She kept quiet on the rest of the way to the coast, running the morning through her head and wondered how things would go on from here.

Once the cab came to a stop she stepped out to see New Orleans, a place she had never been to before. Pale green eyes went wide, her head tilting back, as she looked at the scenery around them, the people, the music, the noise. "Woah..." let her lips in a whisper, Anrar's words of caution bringing her attention to him. A hand clenched around the strap of her bag, following close behind, "So why here? Seems like there are other places to hide." Asking as she looked around once more, sometimes thinking she saw someone stare or something different. Picking up her pace she grabbed his hand hoping not to lose him in the crowd.

Realizing that she grabbed his hand she let go, "Sorry.. Got freaked out." she whispered tucking her hand into her pocket, keeping her eyes on Anrar's back to keep herself from looking around. "Do you think we can get a cruise ship today? If not, where are we going to stay?"

Her hand in his own didn't feel foreign at all to Anrar and when she left his hold again, he glanced back and down, tilting his head just slightly in a thoughtful manner before stopping slightly. When she inevitably bumped into him, he turned just a little and held out his hand, smiling just a little. "It's okay. I know you don't want to get lost." He gave her a perfect out for taking his outstretched hand and when she did, he held on gently but firmly and again started walking. He kept his eyes open for anyone he recognized, anyone he could sense because it meant they could sense him too, but so far everything was going all right.

"We should be able to get a cruise tonight. Don't worry. And as for New Orleans...sometimes it's better to be closer to harm than farther because it's what is least expected." the blond explained simply and in truth that was all there was to his logic. It had helped in the past and it seemed to be working now as well.

Anrar continued to lead Fred through the crowds that looked to be in an eternal party, but that was just New Orleans was and the male didn't pay it any mind, the colors and scents, noises and atmosphere something he was used to. He made sure not to let go of Fred, though, because she was right; it was easy to freak out in this place, especially when one didn't know where they were going. The blond took them to the docks, the scent of the sea stronger now and there on the water were not one, but three different cruise ships. Reading their names, Anrar stopped Fred gently and pointed out the one they'd be boarding. He'd long ago memorized the courses of these ships and the tours they took and what ports they stopped at.

"The Susanna. That's the one we're taking."

Dark green eyes looked down at the honeyed-blond at his side with a slight smile before pulling her gently into walking again. "Come on. Let's go buy the tickets so we can board. After that, we'll get something to eat, all right?"

A smile found her lips when he took her hand back, it did make her feel safer and helped to calm her nerves a bit. Though she wanted to enjoy this new place to his full extent she couldn't, they had to keep moving and get on the ship. Her hand squeezing his the more the crowd grew, the moment he stopped to look at the options she stayed close behind him, almost like a shy child meeting a group of adults she doesn't know. "Susanna?" she asked peeking around him to see which one it was, "Have you been on this one before?" A soft blush came to her cheeks upon seeing that smile, even if it was a small one.

"You have a nice smile ya' know." mumbling as he lead her once more, her stomach beginning to growl. A hand moved to press into her stomach realizing how hungry she was, "I guess we haven't eaten all day..." she said thinking back to that morning, all they had in their systems was some coffee. "What should we eat? I hear New Orleans has the best food. Mmm." the sound slipping from her lips as the scent of delicious cuisine flooded into her nostrils, the closer they came to the restaurants.

His smile came back again, a bit wider than before, but still small and he didn't comment on her words, suspecting she'd only blush more if he did. He didn't want to embarrass her and so remained quiet for the few minutes it took to buy the tickets they needed. When they were leaving was when he spoke again. "Not on the Susanna, no, but I have been on many a cruise ship." Anrar confided as they exited the building where the tickets had been purchased. The blond spent money like it grew on trees, never blinking an eye at the costs and as they boarded the ship and started to wander past the restaurant there, he watched his companion with amusement and a slight fondness, too. He might have only known Fred in close proximity for only a day now, but she'd started to endear herself to him already in that short amount of time.

Such bonds were not strange in his world. In the human world...yes, most of the time, but in the mythical world Anrar belonged to....bonds, connections to another being were common, expected almost. Bonds of loyalty, of friendship, mates, soul-brothers, soul-sisters, master and servant, creator. The mythical world was swarming with such things and so to Anrar...feeling protective and fond and compassionate - like a friend - toward Fred didn't seem strange to him.

He only refrained from being too quick with an affection or gesture for her sake, because she was human and she was dealing with enough changes already.

"Have you ever had lobster?" Anrar stopped before a seafood place and started to walk backward a bit, letting Fred's hand slip out of his own because he suspected she wouldn't want to hold it once they got inside and around a smaller crowd of people. It was bad enough they weren't really dressed right and were both injured, but it didn't matter. They had tickets, therefore, the restaurant would serve them. "Come on. You'll like it." he encouraged, the smile back in his dark green eyes.

"No I haven't. Canned tuna is the closest I've gotten to seafood." Fred did feel out of place once they got on board, people glancing and whispering their way. Her ripped clothes and bare feet with him all wrapped up only things worse. "Are you sure we'll be okay?" she whispered as they sat down. She placed her bag under the table and kept her eyes on Anrar, "I have to ask.. I don't mean to spoil the mood but I'm a person of caution when it comes to being on the run... What if something happens while we're on the ship?"

She was full of questions today, who could blame her? This was all new to her and she barely knew Anrar, a man she once knew as Alex and even then she barely knew him. When she was at the stop she seemed to have a tough exterior, but the past day and a half has made her feel so vulnerable and small. She hadn't felt this way for years, it wasn't the best feeling in the world but it did open her eyes.

Anrar ignored the whispers and the glances because when he scanned the people, he knew that's what they were; humans. They didn't pose a threat and when a waiter came over, looking skeptical, the blond only showed the man their tickets and the receipt and though the worker looked displeased by them, he took their order promptly and left. Dark green eyes went back to Fred them, calm and urging her to be the same silently. They were fine and she could relax.

"You haven't spoiled anything and that's a valid question. You spoke of fighting back in the apartment." Anrar set his arms on the table, crossing them lightly and tilted his head with a shrug. "Well, if something happens on the ship, we'll fight." He gave her a slight smile. "It's going to be fine, though. We're not going to hit any trouble we can't handle until Scotland." He kept his voice down and made sure she was paying attention before going on.

"Right now I am in a water stage. That means I can control, manipulate and produce water. I can control blood, alcohol, sea water, fresh water, any and every kind of liquid which means the ocean is the safest place for us right now because I can use it."

At his words she calmed down, leaning back into her seat and letting out a sigh of relief. "Thank you." Fred muttered, a small smile finding her lips as fingers combed through her dreads. "Speaking of alcohol... We should have some." Chuckling she waved for a waitor to come back over, "Hi I'd like something strong, two please."

"I guess while we're stuck on this ship we should get to know each other a bit more..." her hand moved to rub at the back of her neck, "Nothing too personal just.. stuff?" Slender shoulders raised in a shrug, "If you just want to stay on a just name basis I understand." Her smile grew once her drink arrived, lips pressing to the rim as she took a sip. "I'm afraid of snakes... and I don't like mango." Fred attempted at sharing information on herself, it seemed like nothing but for her it was something to give.

He smiled at her words, a small expression but there, and then chuckled softly as she ordered the drinks, happening to agree with her assessment of the situation. Of course, in this state he couldn't get drunk, but it would be pleasant nonetheless and he wasn't going to deny her. She was risking so much already. Giving up so much even as she embraced so much more that was not good for her health. He could at least indulge Fred in this, especially since it would do him no harm nor her.

At her words about getting to know one another, though, he faltered, truly surprised and he watched her closely as she continued to speak, finding that spark of fondness growing toward the honeyed-blond. Anrar shook his head slightly and leaned back in his chair, taking a drink and then setting it down, running his finger across the top of the glass rim as he looked down at the gold liquid. "No, it's all right. I have simply been...quiet because I did not know how much you might want to know about me or have me know about you, that is all." Dark green eyes looked up into paler ones.

"I am amendable to this."

He snorted softly at her admission and pushed his blond hair back behind an ear before answering back in kind, thoughtful about it. "I don't like tight spaces and I am not too fond of vampires." He paused, tilted his head and then went on. "I do like pizza, though, and you'll be pleased to know that it WAS invented by humans." A wink.

Fred laughed as she took another sip of her drink when Anrar gave credit to humans making pizza. "Eh, its took good for humans to have made it and I'm pretty sure no one likes vampire." Taking another sip and placing her glass down, a finger running over the rim of the glass,"I enjoy drawing and when I was younger I wanted my own herb shop. I used to make my own teas, but got caught up with work."

A small frown formed on her lips as she thought over that last sentence, she remembered being with her mom learning about the herbs in their garden and all the uses. Shaking her head and bringing the glass back up to her lips she took a large drink from the glass and changed the topic back to him, "Why don't you like tight spaces? Like elevators and heavy crowds, or just rooms?"

Drawing, eh? Well, they had something in common. Anrar looked thoughtful about that. The last time he'd drawn...could he even remember the last time he'd drawn something for the pure pleasure of just drawing? The reminder of what his life was like made him frown and he sighed softly, but brought his attention back to Fred, noting that she too was frowning and wondering if he was to blame for that. He watched her shake away her thoughts, much like had done many times and then she turned the subject to him again and the blond found himself shifting just a bit, unsure he actually wanted to talk about that.

She meant it as an innocent question, but it just stirred memories he'd rather not have and Anrar looked down at his drink again, taking a swallow, knowing it would do nothing but searching for some time before he answered. When he did his voice was even and calm, but somewhat distant, too. "More like dark prisons where I couldn't move more than an arm's length and...and coffins I was stuck in for hours to days on end for the amusement of my captors." He smiled grimly. "Those kind of tight spaces."

Anrar sighed again and looked up as the waiter came back over with their food, thanking the man with a smile that looked a relaxed as anything until the man left. The expression fell a little then, never really having been in his eyes in the first place and dark green eyes looked up into pale ones. "I'm sorry. I should not have...burdened you with that."

His answer was very surprising, it was easy for her to forget how different things have been for him. He's not human, having to run for his life, apparently being held up in coffins. Fred stared down at the table, letting out a heavy sigh, as she wondered what it would have been like if she were in the same situation. "Hm.." Biting her lip to hide a frown as the waiter brought their food, "Oh, thank you."

"Anrar, I don't find it a burden... Its sad that you've had to go through that, no one should have to. Most people would be functioning well in society if that had happened to them." She offered him a smile as her stomach growled, "I know what will make you happy. Food!" Picking up her fork she couldn't help but giggle in delight to finally put some food in her stomach. Realizing how bizarre she much look at the moment, giggling while holding utensils, "Sorry, I love food." her cheeks tinted pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.