Beast Within (IC)

687474703a2f2f36382e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f66353131333262356264313466633763396433656135656233336464636265302f74756d626c725f696e6c696e655f6f3277396262553670443172696672346b5f3530302e676966

She'd expected him to be asleep still, so when Ronin's voice shattered through her sobs, Ro nearly choked on one, heat washing over her cheeks she was only too glad wouldn't be seen in the darkness. For a moment, her breathing tight, shattered gasps, she stared at his shadowy shape, before buckling forward to wrap her arms around his middle, hanging on without relent. Normally, despite being a generally emotional young woman, Ro did her best to keep her big feelings under wraps but there was something about the day they'd all had... about seeing so many people hurt... So many good, kind people...

For a moment she quaked against the man's broad shoulder, and words failed to form... not in her throat, not in her mind. But as his gentle reassurances filled the near silence, she took the suggestion as much to heart as she could stand. In. Out. In and out. She breathed, until the sobs relented, and the only tears that remained were the ones that were drying to her cheeks and Ronin's ruined shirt.

"...Everyone came back from their missions..." She whispered, shakily, "It... it was so bad, Ronin. They... they were all..." Staring at her hands in the darkness, she was grateful she couldn't see them, blood stained and quivering, "Luce... and Gray... Aaquil... Everyone got hurt. So bad. I... I did what I could, and Ricky... he... but I couldn't heal anymore, and there's still so much to do." She had experienced great tragedy in her life, and she knew the risks of the job, but somehow, seeing everything crashing down in less than twenty-four hours... it had been too much to stand.

"What do I do when someone doesn't come back, Ronin? H-how do you get through something like that without losing faith in everything you can do...?" It wasn't enough. She'd healed Lucy and Quil, but it wasn't enough. It never felt like enough, "...T-there was an owl. Over the atrium. I saw it... on my way to the infirmary."

Kook | Interactions: Selene @KatSea | Location: Selene's Office

"Ah, you didn't have to do that Kookie. The blanket looked a lot prettier on you anyhow...and thank you so much for the gift!"

"Guh!" Upon hearing the pretty comment, Kook folded one arm behind his head and balanced his weight on the opposite hip, taking up the pose of a model. Yes--he knew he was pretty. All the way from his ghoulish mask to his highlighter-yellow hoodie that would give someone a headache if they stared at it for longer than ten seconds. Wallow in jealousy!

That was a joke, he was damn ugly--

Not on the inside, though! Intestines and lungs could be aesthetically pleasing if one tilted their head and squinted their eyes! Like, really, really, hard. Until they were closed. There! Beauty!

He just remembered that he doesn't even like honey buns--

But Selene did. So that was okay.

Oh. She wanted to share the thing that he didn't even like. Okay! Now that he thought about it, he did like honey buns--well, he liked the taste of them. Not of how sticky they were, because then they made the inside of his mask sticky.

Like right now. With a rushed, "Gah!", he snatched the treat and broke off half of it, handed it back to Selene, scuttled over to a dark corner, crouched, and pulled up just enough of his mask to shove the piece underneath into his mouth. A mix of grumbles and cackles emitted from his cozy little corner, though he glanced over his shoulder every now and then to make sure she wouldn't come too close.

Reactions: KatSea
Ronin Isaacson

Ronin blinked as arms wrapped firmly around his waist. He had assumed wrong, he supposed, due to her reaction towards his approach. Ronin wasn't sure how to react appropriately with such a touch, and thus he was reduced to placing his hand upon her back, patting her trembling form. He wasn't sure what could have caused this, so he remained silent for the majority of this episode of emotion. It passed, much longer than it had taken to begin, but regardless it had passed. Simple. It was concern over the fellow hunters who had suffered tonight. He wasn't surprised in the slightest, missions appeared to be growing in difficulty and it was foolish of Bethany to let the teams go all at once when it was so late. He understood, however. Things happened and they were handled when they were handled. The witch was nothing today, he had gotten bigger cuts from arguing with his sisters, and yet something struck a chord with the shaking woman before him. He did not fear for his companion's lives, knowing fully well that they signed up for the dangers ahead.

"You did what you could, and that's enough. There are plenty healers here, so you don't need to pretend that your job is to carry everyone's weight on your dainty shoulders. It's not." Shrugging, Ronin rocked back on the palms of his hands and tried not to grin, despite the initial concern for his friend. "You know there is no possible scenario where someone doesn't come back, right? That's why there are so many people to chose from for missions, Europa. You are never alone. You never have to worry about going in on an operation and clawing your way through alone. Sure, the job is hard and dangerous as fuck, but we have precaution. Besides...we all know what we signed up for. So if something were to happen, just know that there will be a way to clean up after the mess. We are an organization, after all. We try to look after each other. Bethany would lose her mind if she lost a worker, so you know she isn't going to let it happen while she's in charge."

Swaying his body slightly, Ronin got to his feet, despite the protest from the sleep deprivation in his muscles. He lent his hands to hers, attempting to pull her to her feet. "So what? We are in Jackman. Snowy owls show up all the time. It don't mean much, dear. Even in your superstitious mind. Think of it this way, God wouldn't have made a creature without it having a purpose, ya? Don't worry. We can only do what we can. and right now, I think you are emotional because you are worn. Rest. Properly this time."

Selene Montgomery

Observing the magnificent pose Kook put on display, Selene drummed her fingers together in a thoughtful steeple. "Excellent form indeed, perhaps give those knees a little bend next time...allow some room to flow in the upper torso. Wonderful attitude! Reeving me up well ~" Selene cooed playfully, the motion short lived as Kook approached her and the gift, and with the biggest smile Selene could ever muster, watched as Kook took a significant chunk and scuttled to safety in the corner of her office. Selene knew better to intrude, considering that Kook had always appeared to be sensitive about what was behind the mask. Selene couldn't say she found any confusion, considering many monster hunters were scarred, and if Kook had gotten a significant one from fighting God knows what, Selene could understand the fear. Selene would have encouraged him, insisting she would never have anything malicious to say about her friend. However, she knew her limits, and merely watched for a moment as the treat vanished behind the cover of his form.

"I hope your mission went well sweetie, I forgot to ask! How rude of me." Frowning, Selene swiveled over to her desk and began to pluck through various papers to start the day. However, as she began to skim her thumb across several papers regarding the reports of creatures collected and returned to the guild, her finger bumped against a small, metallic object. She forgot she had snuck away a watch in here, preferring the comfort of a wristband over the gentle tick that could consume her thoughts at night. Plucking it safely from its hovel, she hovered the watch over eyesight and let her eyes hood with exhaustion. It was three. It was three in the morning and she was ready to consume more than was needed for a healthy amount of coffee.

"Oh. Goodness Kook, you haven't even got a moment of shut eye." Turning her attention toward the broken canopy, she hummed as she worried, retying the sheet up to the pole. She balanced the palm of her hand into the middle of the contraption, bouncing against it gently to make sure it withstood the weight. After a few attempts, she realized that her creation was successful. "You can even take the canopy here if you want, I promise it doesn't tend to cocoon it's victims like a spider all the time. That was a mistake on my part." She pulled at the hems of her blanket over her shoulder, swaying her head from side to side. Finally taking a moment to breathe, however, she recalled her honey bun, lying desirably on its side on the wooden desk. Gingerly securing it between her fingers, she brought it to her lips and took a large chunk from the sticky desert.

"Mm. Oh...oh my God...thank you Kook." She grumbled in bliss, body using her own desk as support. She didn't always treat herself to things like this, so when she received his gift, she was more than jovial to accept it. "I owe ya some chocolates and fluffy things don't I?"

687474703a2f2f36382e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f66353131333262356264313466633763396433656135656233336464636265302f74756d626c725f696e6c696e655f6f3277396262553670443172696672346b5f3530302e676966

She wanted to feel better... after letting it out - the tears, the concerns, the fear. She wanted to feel better, revived, refreshed. But the unfortunate fact was, she didn't. None of it had done much more than leave her with a hollow feeling of dread. Bad things come in threes, Ro... Her Aunt Gretchen always told her, and like everything else she'd been taught by the women in her life, she believed it. The witch... the other mission. Something was wrong. Very wrong. The air felt wrong. The world felt wrong. And no matter how desperately she tried to shake the feeling, it wouldn't abate.

His words weren't wrong, even if everything else was, and she had enough common sense to know that, but it didn't stop the tremors in her body, and the ache in her chest that had nothing at all to do with the unintended pummeling she'd received earlier that evening. No... Panic swelled. Panic swelled and grew like a balloon stretched too far, and she was going to burst. Her breath caught, caught and hitched and buckled, and she felt a wave of heat ride the length of her spine, prickly and painful as her mind filled with fog.

Looking up at Ronin's outstretched hand, she blinked, and taking it, pulled herself to her feet,. She didn't release the man - not right away. A shudder passed at his words, and however surprising they might've been, however comforting they should have been, she still felt as though she were drifting. Drifting down river, paddleless and desperate in a boat with a hole. She couldn't bail fast enough, she couldn't keep it upright, and she could feel herself tipping, further, further...

"Please don't go." She heard herself whisper, her voice quivering as another shudder coursed through her, "Please, I... I know... you're right. I'm tired and it's just emotions, and I shouldn't... I shouldn't let it get to me. I know it's probably wrong of me to ask, and I know... it's probably the last thing in the whole world you want, right now. But please, Ronin. I... I don't like what's going on in my head right now, I don't like it. It scares me. And I... I don't wanna be alone. Please?"

• Sympathy & Compassion
Interactions:Gus @Elle Joyner
Steele, Juniper

Juniper finished his kit kats while just sitting forezen as his shoulder was healed. The pain slowly faded while he wiggled his joints a tad bit. At this point his bloody shirt was hanging off the side of the wooden chair and his tattoo was healed back to its former glory.

“Thanks.” His deep voice said while showing gratitude to Ricardo. It wasn’t something that happened often but it wasn’t like Juniper didn’t have any home trainin’. Once Juni’s arm was useable he got up, discarded the shirt, and started for the door. His chest would have been completely on display hadn’t it been for his long brown hair that hid it well... Most of his chest and stomach anyway. It was definitely apparent that he had been hunting for a while now as scars littered his body. He was also pretty fit.

His original plan was to leave but his foot somehow got caught on the corner of his bed and the position he landed in wasn’t something Juniper was comfortable with. He hovered over Gus who was sleeping or at least it seemed that way. His hair tickled Gus’ face as his green eyes widened in horror and shock. Juniper practically held his breath. This wasn’t what he wanted or expected to happen.... Juniper just hoped the sleeping male wouldn’t wake...

15803407_658004434379443_3011153647980511232_n.jpg

"Gah. Shawn... Control these emotions of yours, brother. You will give us a reput--" Gus's eyes opened again almost as soon as they had closed, squinting slightly through the blurriness to see the pretty maiden before him. Long hair cascading, framing delicate features and bright green-- Upon blinking, the image dissolved as swiftly as it had formed in his mind and pushing back slightly, Gus gave Juniper a slightly wide eyed look, brow raised.

Still... Not the most awkward circumstance the man had found himself in... Which now that he thought about it might be cause for reputation all on its own. Damn Fae. He needed to up his game and get himself a girl - one who wasn't trying to devour his soul.

"If you are looking for Sleeping Beauty, Amiga, I am afraid you have come to the wrong bed. I can understand the mistake, as I am very pretty, but you will find no princess here."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Interaction: Gus
Juniper Steele
Juniper’s cheeks justed with pink a bit as his apple green eyes glanced away a bit. His eyebrows narrowed at his luck but he found himself unable to move. His whole body went rigid and stiff in the awkward position... He breath was still being held as he glared at Gus’ comment.

“I’m not looking for a woman...” He growled a bit revealing his pearly white teeth. His heart was beating a lot faster than usual. What made everything worse for him was his chest was completely bare only flustering him further but not seeming to bother Gus one bit. ”And if I was this would not be how I did it..."

Interaction: Grey
Mina Panja
Mina was so sleep deprived that her actions weren’t her own. Her head was racing with thoughts of the mission and her surroundings weren’t the clearest. All she could think about was how useless she was on that mission... Every one of her spells failed, even banishment didn't work. In her head healing wasn't enough and taking care of the victim wasn't enough. People still got harmed even a little and it made her feel horrible, even if that is what this job called for. All of a sudden a tiny object hit her head, tangled in her hair, and tumbled onto her lap. It was a green skittle, her least favorite skittle. Tears welled up in her chocolate while her body curled into itself for comfort. Loud sobs racked her body. To think a skittle set her off...

Last edited:
Kook | Interactions: Selene @KatSea | Location: Selene's Office

"Guh." Kook nodded in reply to Selene's thanks, though he was distracted.

He was always distracted--

He hadn't finished the honey bun. Right! He had to recharge first. Finishing off the rest of it and wiping off the stickiness from his fingers onto his jeans, he pulled his mask back down and stood, turning to face her once more. His chest puffed out, proud of completing his recharge in glorious form and grace and discord, before strutting up to the woman and, ignoring any protests she would have, looped both arms around her waist and deposited her onto the canopy.

He then climbed onto her desk, sitting with his legs crossed as he cackled to himself in thought. Where to begin...

"Gahah! Geh! Geh!" He threw his arms up animatedly, gesturing to large creature as he snarled... in probably the least terrifying fashion possible. Then, his fingers rested against his head to form antlers. Wendigo. The chompy one. Suddenly, all energy evaporated from him and he hunched a bit, taking up a stealthy and suspenseful hum under his breath. That pause. That tense pause among the snow. They knew something was wrong. They knew.

Except for him.

His hands swung back and forth rapidly, taking up perfect running form despite being seated. "Guhhh!" The hunter. He had heard the voice, the call for help, and assumed that--

He was dumb. Really dumb. Because of him, Lucy and Delilah and Adrian got hurt. Bad. He was really dumb and now his friends were--

"Grrrrahhh!" Fighting. Punches and tackles and kicks, anything that Kook could think of. He couldn't gesture kicks well, but the punches made enough sense. And none whatsoever. Nonsensical logic. His favorite! Then, he grabbed at empty air before him and made a loud snap sound effect, his voice scratchy with bubbling excitement. Stabbing motion. Violent. Filled with that same fury from before. Wendigo ate too much for its own good. Fatty Wendigo. That was why he stabbed it straight in the gut! Dumb gut! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

He was so dumb. How could he be so--

Dumb Wendigo! So he stabbed it with its own antler!

...Kook bowed. "Guh."

The end.

Trigger | Interactions: Lucy @KatSea | Location: Infirmary

A small smirk pulled at Trigger's features. "Liar... My gunshots only inspire badassery worth fangirling over. Not nightmares." Although she said this as a joke, the humor lacked heavily in her voice. She'd like to think that dry sarcasm sufficed enough as a replacement, but most times, it just didn't quite sound right. Either way, she was certain her grin conveyed what it needed to. She gave Lucy's leg a gentle nudge through the sheets. "I'm damn proud of you though, lass. What you did out there? Even when you were down... You're my kid for a reason."

Trigger hummed while scratching at her cheek. "Honestly? You're not completely wrong. Bethany's a damn saint, that woman, she'd look over the apocalypse if it was brought on by Kook... And I hate how that's a possibility." A shiver nearly traveled down her spine. She was not a woman that scared easily, but the potential discord that Kook had the ability to cause was downright petrifying. He was a gentle guy... somewhere behind the ten mile thick wall of craziness, but he was, so Trigger drew comfort from that single fact alone. His methods were unconventional and wild, but they all came from a caring place. The woman snapped out of her thoughts as Lucy tries (fruitlessly) to convince her to get some sleep. To leave her side.

"As if," Trigger muttered. She leaned back into the chair, getting as comfortable as possible before letting her head fall back. She studied the ceiling dully. "That was an impressive try, lass, but I'm not moving. Besides, I took a short nap before coming here and I have the secret ability to fall asleep anywhere. So..." Her eyes fluttered closed, only for one to slightly crack open and land on Lucy. "Here's my offer. We both catch up on sleep, right here. Best if you accept that, yeah?"

Ronin Isaacson

It physically pained him to see his friend in such disarray and emotional distraught, but he knew he was correct. Her worries were simply amplified by the environmental circumstances. Not to mention, the added stress of the injuries that abounded in the guild. It wasn't something that was uncommon, not in the slightest, but this particular round was difficult to handle. Wendigo and a higher level demon from what he had heard...sometimes Wendigos took teams of people to handle, not just four or five. They were difficult sons of bitches, and he almost didn't believe the legend that a one shot kill could be handled with them.

The exhaustion to see upon his friend was heartbreaking, regardless of what had occurred, and it was tempted to simply toss her into the bed and make sure she fell asleep where she laid. However, his concern seemed to be answered as she asked the simple question. Whether or not he would stay with her for the night. Ronin's head bobbed lazily, the weight nearly overwhelming upon his neck as his head hung. "Alright. Alright. I'll stay with you Ro. I just need you to get some rest, alright? You sound like you've already had a miserable morning and we all need our bright ray of sunshine back for tomorrow. Trust me, as much of a pain in the ass you can be, its a little refreshing."

He guided her to her bed, sat down and patted the seat next to him to make sure she was going to lay down. "I'll sleep on the floor again, if you'd like. I'm not sleeping in that fucking cloud of fluff. That is ridiculous idea, Ro. So I'm gonna sit right next to this bed, and I suppose I won't move until you want me to. Just...please, for the love of God. Get some shut eye." He couldn't stand to see her upset, despite not being able to say it out loud. Hell if he was ever going to admit it, even if it took the strength of someone snapping his knee caps.

15803407_658004434379443_3011153647980511232_n.jpg

"...Well." Gus cleared his throat as he pushed himself up by his palms to slide back, putting distance between the oddly frozen, oddly shirtless young man and himself, "That makes one of us. " Casually, his gaze drifted a few beds away, a smile pulling at his lips as he caught sight of a flash of brunette curls beyond the curtain, "But I would certainly hope you do not make a habit of waking young women.. so abruptly. Most will not thank you for it. Especially around here, Amiga." He turned back to look to Juniper, before he was distracted by the sound of sudden sobbing. Frowning, he shook his head as he took in the sight of Mina, falling apart a little ways away.

"Irmã adorável..." He spoke, his voice slightly stern, but not without affection, "What are these terrible tears? Pull yourself back together, Si? We are all of us here and alive, and soon, with thanks to our healing friends, we will all be well. The sun will rise, a new day will begin and life is good. Nunca chore por que vidas"

Irmã adorável - Lovely sister
Nunca chore por que vidas - Never weep for what lives

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f39424d71724f78346e6945797a773d3d2d3439393537333238342e3135313364396436336565633463616335393835363834383833382e676966

She had half expected him to say no, and maybe that's why she was so surprised when he didn't. She would have understood. Ronin wasn't exactly the cold, edgy saltlord he expected everyone to think he was, but he also wasn't a paragon of emotions and feelings. No doubt, he would've preferred for her to say she was fine, and to be able to go back to his own room, get a few more hours of shut eye and start the day renewed. But he didn't say no. And then he said more than yes, and Ro felt her eyes stinging again at his words...

We all need our bright ray of sunshine back for tomorrow.

Resisting the urge to hug the man, knowing full well that it was enough that he was agreeing to stay, Ro brushed her hands over her cheeks and nodded as he pleaded with her to get some rest. It didn't take much to guide her back to bed, and sinking down beside him, she tried to focus on his words, but found her thoughts drifting again. Back to the cave. Back to the infirmary. Back to those damnable wings of white, carrying with them the omen of doom...

Shivering, sniffing softly, Ro shifted and without a word, curled up in Ronin's lap, like a wounded animal might, "...Just don't go." She whispered, another tear pooling at the ridge of her nose, before trailing over the edge. Breathing out, forcing back the terrible thoughts, she let her eyes fall closed, anchoring herself to the strength of the man beside her, and allowing that to carry her off to sleep.

Adrian Lewis

Fucking idiot is pretending as if nothing is happening and I can't believe he hasn't tried to discuss this with me. I just want him to be alright, the goddamned moron. Doesn't take his injuries seriously. Hell, Lucy didn't either, I'm just relieved Bri is...fulfilling a role. Hell, I don't think she even tended to herself. Fucking Kook pretended its nothing as well. I even got a freaking treat out of the deal...is...is that a Three Musketeer? ...I should be infuriated. I should be. But...when was the last time I ate one of these? Oh...God....fuck it.

Adrian concluded the thoughts piling in his head on a high note, snagging the bar that had been placed on his head and grumbling as he peeled the irritating wrapper off his precious gift. His thoughts were weighted and scattered, bouncing against his skull like angry worker bees in the hive. He shouldn't have felt this insane amount of concern for the people in the room. Everyone sent out tonight was injured in one way or another. Adrian was used to seeing bumps and scraps, but the moment he saw the bruises along Grayson's neck, seeing Lucia's shoulders gone, Mina damn near unconscious, Trigger refusing to get herself looked over for an hour...

Adrian needed a shot of something. Anything. Hell, even a cigarette could soothe his irritated nerves, his veins bulging against his fists as he gently knocked the out part of his thigh.

"Adrian don't look so down." His friend cooed beside him, snagging his fingers against his own. Adrian pulled away before he could maintain a sound grip, guilt coloring his cheeks as an exaggerated sigh escaped Grayson. "You need sleep too...why don't you take an infirmary bed? Or..."

"Feel weird being in the room without you. Besides, I don't need you sleep walking from the infirmary and terrorizing another poor bastard." Adrian's lips wanted to curl into a smirk, wanted to bestow the humor that he would administer to his friend in his time of need. Adrian never ended a mission with Gray without cracking a dumb joke or calling his friend a moron, and in turn, Grayson would never leave until he had gotten a laugh.

"You'd have a laugh. You'd love it if I stumbled into Trigger's room and got papped papped." Grayson shot the man finger guns, making sound affects with each snap of his fingers. Adrian's brow skyrocketed, the confusion that painted his features not an unfamiliar sight to his partner of four years. However, the sudden wave of sobs that came from a nearby cot caught Adrian off guard, his tensity causing his body to wrack with an unfamiliar reaction.

Shit...okay...okay Gray...made a fucking girl cry...shit...Adrian's teeth shifted uncomfortably, and for a moment he considered retreating to his room. However, he did not like the idea of being alone now, especially while everyone else appeared to be struggling.

"oh...Adri um..." Grayson shifted in his cot, once again, hand raising for his friend in confusion. Adrian once again retracted himself from the touch, hurt seeping into him this time.

"Sorry, ami." Adrian muttered lightly, stuffing his hands into his pockets and giving his friend a wink, despite the confusion nestling in the boy's demeanor. "I need a second, okay? I feel fucking exhausted, and I know you need some time before...well...just take your time. I need a second or two."

"Take your time." Grayson replied lowly, managing himself to his feet with his sheets in hand. Slowly he approached Mina's cot, covering the woman up to her chin before returning to his own and curling up on the mattress, glancing up at Adrian almost pleadingly. "I'm tired too, ami."

"Just a second, fucking puppy eyes." He vowed, holding his forefinger up as if to scold him and to silence him. He felt like he was going to be ill, if just for a moment, and the uncharacteristic emotion was enough to conjure the fear of losing control over his mouth. Over his movements. Trudging to the hall beyond the infirmary, Adrian pressed his hand to his mouth to let an exasperated sigh escape him. This shouldn't have horrified him this much. This...this was routine. And yet seeing them all on their cots...seeing their scars and wounds out on display...

Oh, God.

Slowly, he peeked his head back into the infirmary walls, stepping inside and briefly catching eye contact with Aaquil. Grayson always informed Adrian that if he ever had a spiritual difficulty, or even a physical ailment, he'd go to this man for his 'healing hugs'. Regardless, the two went out for the mission, and if he could get honesty about what could have happened to the other two on the mission, it would be them.

"How'd it go?" He asked, lips threatening to parch and split apart with each word spoken. He swallowed. "Er, rather, how are you?"

Juniper Steele
https___upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_2_25_Ben_Fitzgerald.JPG
Juniper wasn't used to being in such close proximity with anyone in the guild or outside the guild. He tended to stay in his room, with the lights off at all times, curtains closed, and just played music or did whatever he did. No one really knows what he does except for glare harshly at pretty much everything someone says. Most people avoided him as he was aggressive, short-tempered, and easily offended. Juni tended to read far too deep into the words of others.

As soon as Gus moved back, Juniper scrambled back as well awkwardly as if all sense in his body returned. He immediately got off the bed and stood up letting his hair fall behind him. Juni felt a bit self-conscience at that moment and casually brushed his hand to hang over the front of his shoulders. His green eyes glared at Gus harshly but his cheeks dusted a light pink which kind of counteracted the whole act of aggression.

"I told you I'm not looking for anybody." He growled lowly while gritting his teeth.

Mina Panja
Mina barely heard Gus' comforting words over her sobs and even if she did they probably wouldn't do much to ease the mental pain she felt or the self-criticism she was dealing herself at the moment. She needed someone to physically be there for her. Grey almost was as he laid a blanket over her quaking body. Her hand gripped his hand lightly but he slipped away as her grasp was too weak, almost like an infant. A few gasps for breath interrupted her but nevertheless, she continued to cry in guilt. Mina knew everyone would be okay but she felt bad for being so useless on that mission. Grey wouldn't have gotten hurt. Aaquil wouldn't have gotten hurt. No one would have gotten hurt if she hadn't of failed those spells.

Selene Montgomery

"Sweetheart what..." Selene barely had time to register what was happening around her, Kook's arms around her waist, her feet dangling off the ground effortlessly, and then the gentle bounce against her back as she was placed into the canopy. A blink of surprise obscured the majority of her visage, the immediate instinct to bundle her cover to her chest and encasing her in warmth distracting her from the action that had occurred. She supposed Kook shouldn't have surprised her by this point, but regardless, she found herself curling up and watching him with big and curious eyes as he climbed onto her desk.

If it was anyone else besides him or a close-knitted guild member...you'd flip and you know it ~ A gentle voice within her cooed, and to respond simply, she envisioned herself, a smaller version. Perhaps a nanometer big, finding the source of the voice and round kicking it out of her head. The violent image almost made her laugh, her tiny, cartoon body grasping her inner critic, perhaps a withered old man with a doofy hat and giving him a hearty tap to the back. With her heel. Made of steel. Trying to withhold an external reaction, she lied back into the canopy, her hands providing her cheek a resting space as the sideways view of Kook beginning to throw gestures and arm motions into the air.

Selene had no idea what was occurring, at least at the beginning. Kook seemed to be throwing punches into the air, most likely inciting the fight that had taken place mere hours before. Selene's head bobbed against the fabric of her mattress sheet, and slowly, as her body sunk into the canopy, Selene was beginning to place it together, as difficult as it seemed to be at first. Kook had stabbed this creature with its own horns, antlers, whatever the hell the cannibalistic moose man tended to have upon their heads. She was lucky, back in her day they didn't have to worry about crazy crud like that in the moors. Just mean witches from time to time, maybe a bumbling cute one who gave out cookies, and then the occasional ghost that tended to want to sell Selene and her family weird advertisements.

"That...is quite a story Kookie. My goodness! That must have been scary, I've never seen a Wendigo face to face, but I'd probably just faint at the sight. You and the others are so freaking brave and it makes me so proud that you even were able to..." She reached up to her head and pretended to pull off a horn, dangling towards her stomach. "Must have been wild!" Peering from her canopy, she sat up and offered her hands out to him.

"Are you all healed up, sweetheart?"

Lucia Rivera

"I bow down to you every time I see you shoot down a big, bad monster Trigger. You know it's true. I don't think someone could handle that weapon like you do. Or as awesomely as you can. That one head shot...Damn. I wasn't sure what wanted to make me faint more, the blood loss or the awe." Teasing her, Lucia tried not to flinch as she realized the weight of her words. She had almost fallen in the fight, leaving her friends to handle the beast alone. She wasn't sure what strength had pulled her to her feet, but whatever the mysterious force, she was grateful. She was prideful of the final blow that was struck to the creature's head. "I had to do it, madre dulce. You needed me! I couldn't just let my missing shoulder hold me back. Besides...I don't know who else could have gotten really hurt if we didn't do what we do when we did it. We did a really good job, Trigger. And I'm wicked proud of you! You were amazing!" Extending her forefingers, perpendicular to her thumbs and bouncing her newly formed fingerguns, she winked at the woman with affection beaming brightly in her eyes.

"Oh, Bethany loves that silly billy! If he brought in a body bag she'd just have him put it in the spare room." Lucia's face scrunched up comically, a fake visage of disgust painting the corners of her features. "But he loves us dearly! So no matter what, the people we had on that mission were fan-freaking-spectacular! I'd give the world for ya four!" Her head bobbed merrily, vibrating at the rate of a hummingbird. Despite the exhaustion that nipped at the back of her head, Lucia could feel her body nearly lift from the cot. This was simply an after thought of the fight, and she knew well that she was gonna crash soon. It was gonna hit her hard, and when it did, she was gonna plop back onto the pillow and curl up in a small, snuggly little ball.

However, realizing there was no chance of getting Trigger to go somewhere more comfortable, Lucia's brow furrowed in her stubbornness and she scooted to the very side of the cot, holding out her hand to her. "Sleep here and I the chair!" She suggested, her shoulders deflating in a shrug. "It is my fault I am here, you might as well be comfortable." Cooing gently, she pulled a pillow to her chest and gently chucked the pillow towards Trigger. Her brow wiggled, a yawn baring her lips back into a sleepy snarl.

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats

Trigger | Interactions: Lucy @KatSea | Location: Infirmary

"Head shot or not..." Trigger's vision strayed down to a gun on her hip, a hint of disappointment seeping into her features. "I should've taken that thing down faster. With four bullets, maximum. Maybe then it wouldn't have gotten to you, lass." Trigger was about tired of leading herself around in circles of self-blame like this, but she couldn't help it. It was her motto, her purpose to protect her friends, family, and team. All that she was good for was naming her mark and tearing a smoldering hot crater through it. At top efficiency. If she couldn't even do that, then why did she even...

Because she still felt things. And other people felt things. Like Lucy. And Trigger would be damned if she caused the child any emotional pain just because she felt like giving up sometimes.

Regardless, she arched an eyebrow in dull amusement as Lucy shot finger guns her way. She returned the gesture with a lazy finger gun of her own, shaking her head. "You're too much for me, lass. Wouldn't ask it for any other way."

"So no matter what, the people we had on that mission were fan-freaking-spectacular! I'd give the world for ya four!"

Trigger watched Lucy bounce like one of those Leprechauns she had fed coffee once. It was a product of curiosity and violent boredom on her end, but the creature didn't exactly turn down her offer. Which was good. Because it gave her a convenient little distraction to sneak a bullet between its eyes and call it a day. "Same, lass. Same... Well, I'd give you more than that but, it all comes from the same place, yeah?"

However, at Lucy's demands to switch spots, Trigger immediately raised a hand. "No way, lass. I'm putting my foot down on this--"

She caught the pillow with that same hand.

"Oi."

Without an ounce of effort, she chucked the pillow back in the same beat, nailing Lucy harmlessly in the face. The ex-mercenary grinned. "Nice try. Maybe you'll have a better shot after getting some rest." She still had her hand up, prepared to catch anything else. First candy. And now a pillow. Next thing she knew, Gray would chuck a teddy bear.

Last edited:
46128694_272933520056792_4255891346861716520_n.jpg

As the curtains parted to reveal the anxious face of the Irishman, Mercedes settled back in her seat again, her hand falling away from the healing symbols as the last vestiges of Gustavo's facial injuries faded away. Looking up, Gus gave a slightly uncharacteristically sheepish smirk, and his shoulders rose and fell in a small shrug.

“Be fair, Brother.” He mused, “You know I have trouble with the redheads.”

Shaking her head, Mercedes lip twitched up just slightly, “And the brunettes, so I hear… Hello, Shawn.”

Shooting Sadie a look that suggested her words had touched a little close to something genuine, Gus's cheeks reddened, and he shifted his eyes to Shawn, “What matters, Brother, is you were there when it counted. And look… our Miss Sadie has made me once again more handsome than you. All is right with the world.”

“Well… he's healed, anyway…” Mercedes teased lightly.

“And the blondes. And the dyed.” Shawn’s lips threatened to crack open into a smirk, but it drooped down once a gentle color encased his friend’s cheeks. “Thank you, Mercedes.” Shawn bobbed his head graciously, the back of his knuckles pressed to his throat as he swallowed. “Brother, do not scare me like that again. I’d rather keep my ugly demeanor than watch yours get torn to bits. Not to mention you have given Mercedes and Ricardo another patient to work on…” He tried to smile, although it was faint. “Next time try not to get with it with the hooved demon lady.”

“Scare you?” Laughing softly, Gus shook his head, “Here I thought you would be relieved. Came so close to getting all the attention I steal away from you.” There was an underlying current to his tone, however, that suggested the man had been properly humbled.

“You should get some rest, Gus. Fairly pieced back together, but and episode like that will take a great deal out of you.” Turning her eyes to Shawn, the French woman's brow rose, “Anything hurt?”

“Lad, you are my brother. Of course I was scared I was gonna have to carry your sorry arse out of a bathroom stall with a dead demon in there. Good God, that report to Bethany is gonna be bloody horrific. Besides, I’d prefer your blabber over attention anyday.” Eyes flickering briefly, he paused with a thoughtful nod. “Please. Do rest. I need you in tip top shape, just in case I need to knock on wood cause I get caught by the Fae.” Grinning with a knowing wink, he turned towards Mercedes and shrugged. “Other than me pride, nothin’ hurts.”

“Don't make me blush, now, Shawnie. I'll get a reputation…” Leaning back, Gus relented, despite his initial thought to protest rest…

Mercedes smile crept towards sly, as she gave a brief nod, “I'm beginning to think you've got an affinity for trouble involving Succubus, darling.”

“You already got a reputation Gus. Nothing worse than what it already is.” Shawn gave a wink, even making his way to pull up the sheets and flattening them on the side. “Oi lad, soften up.” Once again, Mercedes voice broke him out of his thoughts and he shrugged. “Technically a thing I study, not so sure about Gustavo over here.”

“Gustavo has a trouble all his own,” Mercedes suggested softly, as Gus sighed faintly, letting his mahogany eyes roll closed, “Glad you were there. Or he might not have been so lucky. Seems a bad day all around, but at least everyone made it back. Rescued a Chimera and a hellbound earlier yesterday evening. I thought that was complicated, but I suppose not…”

“He is a trouble all his own, lass.” Shawn mumbled with a smirk, taking a step back from the hospital bed. Puffing out his cheeks in thought, he stuffed his hands deeply into his pockets. “It was supposed to be a calm night anyhow. Gustavo isn’t exactly the most attentive person. But on the bright side, that succubus won’t be killin anyone.”

“Wait...you rescued a chimera…” Shawn’s brow furrowed in major concern and in a soft whisper he asked “You mean slay one, ya lass? I’d be mighty concerned if ya saved a chimera.”

“Good…” Mercedes said, with a small nod, as she moved away from the bed as well. She curled her arms around her, eyeing the mark on her wrist where she’d drawn the healing symbol. It had been a busy evening, but it was winding down, “The less of those in the world, the better.”

Glancing over at Shawn, she frowned slightly, “...Erhm. You… you might be concerned, then. But it’s not quite how it sounds. He was guarding the hellbound from a witch who had experimented on him. I was able to connect with his mind and convince him to let us take the hellbound, and offered to protect him, as well. Europa’s already named the poor thing.”

“What sort of creature is he?” Shawn questioned, blinking in concern. He had known fully well from his experience with witches that the rotten ones tended to experiment with nature more than they should have. It wouldn’t surprise him if the witch was attempting to modify the creature into something stronger. “Where the hell is it?”

“From what I could see of him, he’s wolf, for sure… and rat. And if I had to guess on the third, I’d say a mole, maybe? The claws… a bit. Not your typical blend, but not the first time we’ve seen this sort of thing from a witch.” Giving a shrug, she slipped her hands into her pockets, “He saved our lives, to be honest. Ronin was hit pretty hard, and I couldn’t get a ruin out. He jumped in to fight her…”

“Oi, that sounds like something out of a bloody nightmare!” Shawn exclaimed with a small frown, although made sure to keep his voice quiet to avoid waking up his friend. “Well, I’m glad he got ye three back alive, witches can be nasty if they ain’t plannin on making you an honest cup of tea. Regardless, I suppose me thanks should be sent the beast’s way. You ain’t harmed yourself, are ye? How about Ro and Ronin?”

“Sounds it…” She agreed, with a small chuckle, “But he’s really rather sweet. I would never have thought, if I hadn’t connected with him. We found a place for him to lay low for now, and when it's light enough, we’ll make a burrow for him.” A brow rose at his question, and her expression softened, as she nodded, “I’m perfectly fine. Ronin took the brunt of it, but Ro’s seen to him, no doubt. They were arguing like an old married couple over Ronin’s coat, last I saw the two.”

“You’ll make a burrow for the beast?” Shawn questioned, a steady bemusement settling along the crinkles of his cheeks. A grin followed suit.. “Lass, how big did you say the creature was? That might be hard to accomplish without the use of magic.” Wiggling his fingers to make his point, his eyes did a quick inspection of his friend to confirm what she was saying was true. “Aye, you look alright lass. I’m glad to hear Ronin and Ro are alright. Ronin can be quite the splinter in the arse. I’m glad to hear that he didn’t outright steal the chimera’s fur to keep em warm.”

Chuckling lightly again, Mercedes nodded, “Roughly six feet or so. But I spent most of the evening and a little of this morning digging through spell books. Think I found one that would suffice. That's not to say I've completely lost my common sense. Europa wanted to keep him in her closet.”

Looking over at him, she nodded, “He can be a bit prickly, but he's got something decent to him. Bit like our Chimera. I could introduce you, you know.”

“Six...feet...of dog rat and mole…” Shawn’s eyed brightened in utter horror, his jaw slackening in a gap of unbelief. He thought the four foot Fae were downright horrifying. Taking a hard swallow, he shook his head. “Please don’t let her keep the creature in the closet. Gonna give her a heart attack one of these days...Er, um, I could meet the beast I guess. I dunno how much of a meal I’m gonna look like to him.”

“I honestly think Europa forgets, sometimes, what we’re up against out there. She’s sweet… too sweet, and I worry about her.” Shaking her head, she looked over to Shawn again, with a small chuckle, “...He’s harmless, I promise. It’s lightning up out there. I should check on him, anyway. Wanna grab a coat?”

“It’s a good thing to have sweet hunters; ya know? Not everythin needs to be killin. Ro can be good with the victims, ya know?” Skimming his teeth along his bottom lip, his eyes darted down towards the tops of his shoes. “Er, I can survive the cold lass thank ya. You sure we should go look at it?”

“Oh, no… I agree. And I wouldn’t change the way she is for anything. But it is disconcerting, watching how things get to her. She may be sweet, but this job will break her, if she isn’t careful.” Nodding, Mercedes adjusted course for the front door, pulling the arms of her sweater down over her wrists as she glanced over to him, “You can stand behind me, if your worried. Not sure I make the most imposing shield, however.” She teased, lightly. Pulling her necklace from beneath her collar, she brushed her thumbnail over the symbol, “I’ll be sure to let him know you’re not breakfast, Shawn.”

“I’d ask Bethany for a therapist.” Shawn suggested with a light chuckle, knowing that it would most likely be a better solution for many of the hunters who had experienced more than many did their entire lives. “She’ll be alright. She has people who love her, ya know. Everyone does.” Adjusting the hems of his sleeves over his forearms, he figured a gentle fuck it would do and he decided to follow after his friend. “Look, lass, I’m just sayin, I’m Gus’s impulse control...if I die we got a lot of pregnant ladies around here.”

“Oh, goodness. I wouldn’t put a therapist through that gambit. That’s just cruel. I think she’ll be alright, so long as she remembers not to keep it all buried.” She grinned faintly, shaking her head, before she pushed open the door, slipping out into the coolness. The snow had stopped and the ground was a crisp, pale blanket of white, untouched and glistening in the wan light of pre-dawn. For a moment, Sadie took it in, before stepping outside.

“You’ll be fine, Darling. And I wouldn’t worry too much about Gus. There’s only one girl on his mind these days… or did you think it was coincidence he’s devolved to throwing himself at strange women in bars? He’s trying to distract himself, I expect.”

“Er, I’d even volunteer lass.” A soft chuckle escaped him, knowing fully well that he wouldn’t provide an incredible therapy session to multiple people who have witnessed monster attacks, lost a family member, or may have even lost an eye or two.” Eyes fluttering down to the pearly white snow, Shawn’s heel crunched delicately into the thin blanket of fluffy snow. Feet sinking in, allowing cold to seep into Shawn’s socks, a gentle shudder travelled through his spine.

“One girl, no way! He never told me of such a thing. I can’t believe it.” Shawn gave a shrill whistle, clicking his tongue against the back of his teeth. “I can’t believe it. Who’s the lucky lady? And why do you know before me?” Smirking, Shawn’s focus locked back onto the path ahead. “How far out is this beast?”

“Oh, Shawn. Don’t volunteer for that. It’s madness.” She couldn’t imagine the nightmare that would be. With the history that half of them had, it was undoubtedly enough to put someone into therapy, themselves, sitting to listen to it. As she followed him out into the snow and started down the path towards where they had left Roro, she glanced over to Shawn with a chuckle.

“I know because I observe, Shawn. Have you not noticed that last night was the first time he’s been out to a bar in months? That he spends an inordinate amount of his ‘social’ time hanging around here. I won’t say who it is… not if he hasn’t, but you shouldn’t be surprised if you figure it out.” Running her fingers through her curls, she nodded, “About a half mile. You’re sure you don’t want a coat?”

“Er, well, I suppose I did notice that a little bit. It’s mostly cause I figured he needed a little color in his cheeks that he go. Besides...er, I needed to get out of the guild anyway and he hadn’t been out in a while. Figured he’d be gettin overwhelmed by the job. He’s got his eyes on everyone, so I didn’t really focus on a particular one.” Shawn shrugged, concern suddenly seeping into his conscience for his buddy. This couldn’t have been good for the man’s psyche. “I’m quite alright, thank ya lass. I’m a big strong man, I can handle a little cold.”

“...You… needed to get out?” A brow rose at his confession, and glanced at him, she frowned slightly, “Not like you to need a night out on the town, unless you’re on a mission. And I wouldn't worry too much about him. This… This could be good for him, Shawn. He needs to slow down…”

Her lip twitched in a grin and she nodded, “Right, yes. Sorry, I do recall some rather manly feats two years ago.”

“Lass I haven’t had a breath of fresh air in what feels like a lifetime. Ya know? It’s all just slice and dice and I haven’t been able to just rest back.” Brushing the back of his hand against his forehead, he thought about his last proper mission. Small tribe of Fae in a local Manchester community. stole a kid. Got him back no problem. Just...just a few fairies were fed to Mulder the demonic fox. Biting back a small chuckle at the thought, he shrugged. “Yeah, I know what ya mean. He’s a good lad and I love em more than the stars in the sky, but he’s quite the hopping John.”

“Oi! I was very manly! Just couldn’t help that fact that broad bitch decided to sex me up a bit! Kissed me too roughly ya know? A little too flirty round the mouth...God never again I say. I don’t know I handled me the second succubus, well, the one from today. Good thing I had Mulder on me.”

“Oh, trust me, I know…” She mused, with a sideways look at him, “Because I’ve been waiting for a certain Irishman I know to finally take me to dinner like he owes.” Eyes shifting ahead again, she frowned, “...Gustavo is complicated. There’s something there, more than he lets anyone know. Sometimes the ones with the longest list of paramours are the ones who have more to forget about.”

Shaking her head, she slid her hands into the pockets of her jeans, shivering a little against the sudden gust in the air, “She probably couldn’t help it, either, Shawn. It was in her nature, after all. And I still have scars from that day that make me wish our Incubus had been a little more charming. I’m glad you had Mulder on you, as well… for yours and Gus’s sake. And because Mulder Junior has a bad habit of taking his time before he hits anything.”

“Shite!” Shawn exclaimed, delicately placing his hand over his mouth as to not allow his voice to echo through the heavily wooded area. “I forgot that I said that to ya lass, my apologies.” Swallowing hard, he shoved his hands towards his thighs and let his fingers curl up into shivering fists. Oi, it was cold. It infested his skin like damned, frosty parasites.

“And I’ve known that for a while. He’s my best man, ya know? I just don’t pry cause I understand what might be underneath the floorboards” Absentmindedly he found himself tracing his steps with each imprint in the snow and guilt flooded his system. He shouldn’t have left his sleeping friend. Worry easily built in Shawn, especially at three a.m in the morning when stars acted as their only guide. “Mulder junior just needs a few obedience training sessions and he’s good as golden.” Shawn claimed with a chuckle, cupping his elbows as a shiver cascaded down his form.

“Technically…” She continued, with a smooth smile, “I said it. But you did agree, and two years is an awfully long time to make a girl wait. You’re very lucky I’m patient.” Her eyes shifted to him, but her smile faded at the look on his face.

“...We all have things under our floorboards, Shawn. I imagine people don’t get into a business like this, if they’ve got easy, comfortable lives. And why would they?” Shaking her head, she looked up at the path again, “Nearly there. Thank you for coming with me. Didn’t rather fancy taking this walk on my own after the day we’ve all had”

“Oi, I’m sorry lass. I didn’t even consider a free meal for ya for saving me from a blood thirsty succubus.” Trying his best to grin, he felt anxiety shoot up his nerves. Er, dinner now. He’d have to remember, considering food was the best payment for any attempted save.

“That’s why I don’t pry into things Lass. Although I’ll admit, I could have been very cozy if I wanted to. I blame the little fairy man who wanted to make me into his human puppet.” Shaking his head, a gentle shrug graced his shoulders, bouncing ahead of his friend ever so slightly. “I wouldn’t let ya walk alone at night lass. Don’t know what sort of monsters might be lurkin.”

“Don't fret… I'm only teasing.” She answered, with a faint glimmer of a smile, “That's not to say you can't make up for it. I'll admit a night without the promise of some hellish creature breathing down my neck wouldn't be the worst thing ever.”

Pausing, she glanced at him fully, “I do hope you're talking about Leprechauns… Otherwise, you had a very strange life, indeed.” Eyes turning to the path, she smiled, “Maybe not all the monsters. But I do know of one. Roro… it's safe to come out.” She called, reaching to Shawn's arm, to halt the man, “I brought a new friend for you to meet…”

“Alright lass, I’ll consider it.” Shawn mumbled with a bob of his head, realizing that perhaps it would be good to get himself, Sadie and Gustavo out more. Besides, being in that guild for twenty four hours straight did horrible damage on one’s psyche. “I am talking about leprechauns. Or the ones in my family.” Chuckling softly, Shawn came to a complete stop as her arm crossed along his side and forced him to halt.

A gentle rumble emitted from the nearest tree, where as Shawn peeked up, he saw beady, yellow eyes peering into his. The creature clung to the thickest, sturdiest branch, it’s entire form upside down like a slumbering bat. It made a gentle coo, letting go of its safety net.

It occurred to her as he spoke that Sadie knew very little about Shawn's history, and for a moment, she considered asking what he meant, but the low rumbling sound drew her attention upwards, and as Roro dropped down to the ground, she smiled delicately, touch her finger to the communication rune, to activate the necklace.

Roro… This is my friend, Shawn. We came to check on you… How are you feeling?

The beast, within moments of the contact, straightened to its hind legs and allowed its head to tilt. Lowering to all fours, it gently crushed snow beneath its leathery paws and approached the young woman. It sniffed at her skin, brushing its muzzle against her cheek before fully encasing her face in a chaste lick.

Good woman. I am glad to see you. A friend of yours is good. Friend to me. Turning to Shawn, the creature graciously skimmed its claws along Shawn’s jaw, inspecting his form as the young man nearly quaked in the creatures presence. It leaned in towards the human, pressing its forehead to his. precious human

As Roro approached, Mercedes reached up to scratch between his ears, before laughing softly as he moved to inspect Shawn, watching as the Irishman tried very hard not to shake himself to pieces, “...He likes you, Shawn. Said a friend of mine is a friend of his…”

Looking to Roro, she patted her side, “Come here… Let me look at see how you’re healing up.

“Oi, hes got hungry eyes.” Shawn whimpered, feeling a gentle lick administered to his cheek and a soft nuzzle soon followed. However, like a hound to its master, Roro peeked it’s head up at Mercedes call. It lumbered over, cautious and attentive of the woman’s size. Slowly it descended to its stomach, glancing at her with affection and letting its mouse like tail sweep snow aside.

“He’s probably hungry, darling.” She mused with a chuckle, “But he’s not going to eat you.” Leaning down, she looked Roro over with a small, thoughtful frown. The nicks and cuts, the scratches from the witch were still visible on it’s form, and momentarily, Mercedes felt a prick of guilt at not having thought to heal him earlier, “Do you want me to help you? I can, if you’d like…

Shawn watched her beast squirm towards her feet while nestling close. It nestled its muzzle close to her feet; glancing up with pleading eyes and allowing his tongue to roll from its jaw. “What you do I love. You may help..” For emphasis, the creature placed its muzzle onto her lap, poking the center of her stomach and holding up its paw.

Pulling a pen from the back pocket of her jeans, she rolled up her sleeve, and carefully, squinting in the darkness, she drew a circle on the inside of her forearm. After returning the pen, she activated the ruin with a brush of her finger, eyes closed a moment in concentration, before opening, focusing on Roro.

There you are, dear one. Good as new…” Giving his a scratch between his ears again, she smiled delicately, “So, Shawn… What do you think?”

The creature bounded to its hind legs in gratitude, tossing its gaunt arms haphazardly around Mercedes and pulling deeply into its wild mane of fur. Nuzzling her head, it’s yellow eyes peered back momentarily to see Shawn paling exponentially with each movement of the creature.

“He’s bloody big.”

Chuckling softly, Mercedes patted Roro on the back, “Good boy.” When she was able, she rose to her feet again, brushing snow off her knees, her eyes returning to Shawn, “That he is. I’m contemplating talking to Bethany about keeping him on hand. He’s strong and loyal. And we could use something like that on our side. We already work with Hellbounds. You suppose she’ll be wary of the idea?”

“I...I don’t know how to feel about…” Shawn swallowed as the beast set its beady eyes upon him, tilting his head innocently as if waiting for Shawn to conclude his thought. “Um...I don’t know what she’ll think. She’s got a pretty good no demonic pets on guild grounds policy. I can’t keep Mulder around ya know?”

“I can’t release him into the wild, Shawn…” She murmured quietly, brushing her fingers down Roro’s snout, “If… if another hunter finds him, without knowing. You know what would happen to him. He’s been captive, too long.” A frown touched her lips as she looked up at Shawn, “...I just want to keep him safe.”

“He...he’s a creature, lass. Meant to live in the wild.” Even as he spoke, he grimaced at his choice of words. Hunters took down these creatures because they brought a potential threat to those of mundane lives. Yet, this creature was harmless, and as much as he hated to agree, it didn’t stand a chance if the wrong hunter came along. Massaging his aching brow, Shawn released a near hiss of an exhale. “I get it, lass. I...I’ll try and help.”

Blinking, Mercedes turned her eyes up to Shawn again, and for a moment there was a weight of emotion behind her eyes, her fingers curling into Roro’s fur as she considered the risk of getting to attached to the pitiful creature, “Y-you will?” She asked, and a smile brightened her features, “Well, hell, Shawn… Now I feel like I owe you dinner.”

“Er, I mean I suppose so.”

It is the right thing to do, and you know it

Grinning sheepishly, Shawn rubbed the back of his head and hesitantly reached out to pet the creature before him. The beast’s head melted into the palm of Shawn’s hand, a leathery substance running against Shawn’s fingers. He grimaced, only to realize that the creature was giving him a generous lick. A sigh of relief exited his system. “No. You don’t. Consider this repayment for sayin me arse.”

Laughing softly, Mercedes shook he head, “Saving you? Shawn, darling. Please. I would be dead if you weren’t there in that room with me. If you hadn’t cast that shield. And without Mulder Junior, we both wouldn’t be here. It was hardly all my effort that kept us alive.” Looking to Roro, she gave him a gentle pat.

We need to go back, now… Stay low and hidden, until I come back tomorrow… Promise?

“We wouldn’t have been there if you didn’t lose control over yourself and straddle me.” He teased, adopting the american accent he had greeted her with years ago. “Not to mention that we got incredibly lucky. The Boston department screwed up horrifically. We should have been there together in the first place…”

The creature gently bobbed its head against Shawn’s touch, raising once again to its full, erect height. It glanced down tiredly at its adopted owner, head hanging briefly as it scuttled to all fours.

A laugh escaped at his words, and with another shake of her head, Mercedes pointed a finger at him, “It was that, or we gave up and went home. And considering there were two of those terrors in the hotel that night, I’m not sorry I chose that particular avenue.” With a slightly sly smirk, she shrugged, “Besides, as I recall… you’re the one who invited me up to your room.”

Boston had certainly messed up, and they’d heard it from Bethany, for sure. It had taken quite a great deal of time for Mercedes to recover entirely, and Shawn hadn’t been in the best shape, either. Luck was the word for it.

I’ll be back tomorrow. I will…” Smiling at Roro, giving him one last pat, she nodded to Shawn, before severing the communication connection, sliding the necklace into her sweater.

“We can start back… He ought to be alright, for tonight."

Collab: Infirmawkward, Sadie @Elle Joyner

“It was for professional reasons lass.” Shawn protested with a worried glance, choking on any other words that could have made their way into the world. “Er, let’s not focus about that particular memory lass, I still have moments of stress around beds.” Grinning, Shawn watched the gentle creature hobble back into the snowy land, his tracks deeply embedded into the fresh slate of snow.

“He’s...a character. For sure Mercedes.”

“That he is… Just hope he’ll be alright.” Watching Roro as well, Mercedes breathed out a soft laugh, before turning back the way they’d come, starting towards the guild house, “If it’s any consolation, Shawn, you were the first and last man I’ve ever kissed. So it’s not as if I make a habit of it.”

“Ah…” Shawn’s feet shifted in the heavy material and no words were able to form. Well, if he had known that, he would have asked her not to do it. Might as well save it for someone who wasn’t a complete stranger fighting a succubus. “Sorry, lass.” He mumbled awkwardly, eyes darting ahead towards the trail they had left behind.”

“Don’t be.” With a small shrug, she tucked her hands into her pockets, “It was a job, Shawn. And it’s not as if I regret it.” Looking over at him, she shrugged, “I haven’t exactly lived a life that lent to those sorts of things. So, I imagine, that was a fairly ordinary first kiss for someone in my position. Besides, if that night had not happened, it wouldn’t have been two demon bodies being removed from the hotel. We saved countless lives… That’s a sacrifice worth making.”

“I get it. I suppose I could have had me spirit scared out of me to save some lives.” A faint smile ghosted his lips, although it didn’t stay long. “Lass I haven’t fought a succubus since then. Well, not since last night. Crazy times all around.”

“Was it really so awful, Shawn?” She teased, with a glint of a smirk, before a small sigh escaped and the smile faded, “I haven’t made a habit of it, either, to be perfectly honest. Came a bit close, that one. Closest, yet…”

“Er, I suppose not lass.” With a nonchalant shrug, Shawn bounced up ahead in a desperate attempt to cease the travel in the bitter cold. “I’m more of a Fae lad, as much as the little bastards horrify me. Grimy and stubby little fingers...lots a’ drugs in their lot too. Dance puppets.” He rolled his eyes, arching his fingers as if to mimic a puppeteer. “Dance.”

“Can't say the same, myself. I've never been much a fan of anything that can ensnare the mind that way. Anything that removes self control from someone else… Then again, that's a good half or more of what we're up against, isn't it. Had a mission a few months back, before you came on board… a Death Ward. A speciality of mine, and it still threw me for quite a loop. Sometimes, I can't help but wonder if we're all destined for madness.”

“It’s...rough, but I know a lot about em, and know they are a pain in the arse. That and workin with Adrian Lewis. One of the hardest parts of the job is seein that man throw insults towards miniature demons and stabbin em. It’s funny, but good God is it Bloody.” Chuckling, Shawn playfully bounced his elbow into hers. However recollection hit him that Delilah had informed him of this case months ago, when he jumped on board, showing him a scar on her heel she claimed cane from walking in heels. For a moment, an unidentifiable emotion rang true in his throat.

Dont worry now lad

“Deathwards are pieces of shit. I’ve never had to handle them myself but I’ve heard of the horror stories.”

She glanced at him, briefly catching the subtle shift in emotions, but as he continued, she brushed her concerns away, nodding with a dry smile, “This particular one… happened not to be a terrible fan of women with dark curly hair and blue eyes. You can imagine, I'm sure, how fun it was for me.”

“Ah, he was one of those I hear. Don’t know much about these little bastards, but I know they can be real creepy crawlies. How you handled that well lass I don’t know. I think that’s the reason I didn’t really attach myself to a guild until now anyway, ya get attached to a case ya ain’t ready for. On ya own you can do it at your own pace.”

“I spent enough time on my own…” Mercedes murmured, her voice edging on emotional, as her arms wrapped across her, “Difficult as it can be, this is my family, now. And I would not trade that for anything. I would likely be dead many times over if it were not for the guild. Not that it…” Biting her lip, she shook her head, “Nevermind.”

“Ah, I’ve always heard the family mentality. It’s a good thing to have, makes me homesick though.” He wanted to smile but found no energy in his soul to do so, the gentle voice in his rear reminding him that there was no reason. He had Delilah, Mercedes, Grayson, Gus. There was no reason. There was Aaquil and crazy Kook, Adrian and his banter with three foot tall psychopaths. Trying now to grin, his eyes skimmed over the top of her head. “Not that it what, lass? There’s always risk of dying, that’s why we tend to not let people go alone. Something I actually like about the guild”.

“It… it doesn't really matter how many times I escape it.” She murmured, with a weak, dry smile, “It's destined to catch up to me, sometime. I suppose the only reason it hasn't yet is because it… it hit everyone else, first.” Looking at her hands, she frowned, “I'm not a superstitious woman. Not like Ro, at least. But… it's difficult to ignore a warning from one's recently deceased grandmother.”

“Ah…” Shawn’s expression shifted into an unsolved puzzle, his lips pursing briefly. “You got visited by the ghost of ya grandmother lass? Ya know, I don’t know if it’s true, but sometimes I hear those are apparitions or tricks used to scare the victim. I wouldn’t worry.”

“She told me I would not live to see thirty. Puts a great deal of suspense on life, when those years are creeping up.” Chuckling, she shook her head, “But I've also learned that no amount of worry can prevent… and I won't waste my own time fretting over the future. Whatever comes, comes.” Looking at him, she frowned in thought, searching for an alternate route of conversation. Casually, her eyes grazed the ring on his pinky finger and she smiled faintly, “You still have it?”

“Oi, lass. Don’t trust what comes ya way. Life happens as it happens. Fortune tellers are bullcrap, trust me. Besides, ya have the guild.” Shawn shrugged, trying not to worry about a possible demise. He never liked superstition, particularly as a young child. He liked his bed against the door, not what his mother was kindly into. “Oi, still have it. Feels a shame to sacrifice, ya know?”

It had been a simple repayment… He'd protected her, and she hadn't wanted to leave the man without a means to do so again. The sentiment was touching, and she felt her cheeks warm as she brushed her hair back behind her ears, “I'm glad you're here, Shawn. Truth be told, I didn't imagine I would see you ever again, after that night. When you showed up here a few months ago, I'll admit, I was a bit flustered. But I should've said it then… we're lucky to have you.”

“Aye...Er, I didn’t expect to see you either lass. Trust me I didn’t.” Shawn ran his knuckles along his throat, knowing that being in the Jackman guild was for the better. He had a higher chance of not being killed during his hunts, and he had a proper place to sleep at night rather than the little benches he’d find on his travels. He did receive coins from time to time, as well as food from travelers he didn’t dare ask for in the first place. This felt more like home. “Oi, I don’t know if that is true lass.”

With a sly smile, she gingerly nudged the man with her shoulder, “Did expect, or hoped not to?” Despite the awkwardness of their first encounter, she had meant what she’d said. She was glad to see him again. She wasn’t, however, convinced that he didn’t still harbor some secret fear that wasn’t a soul-stealing demon…

“Well, I do. If nothing else, just to keep Gus from falling apart, entirely. Or getting into more trouble. He has a penchant for it, that man. That, and…” Looking his way, she smirked, “Now you have no excuse not to take me to dinner.”

“Didn’t expect.” Shawn replied politely, shrugging and letting a gentle hum bounce against his lip, the vibration gently tickling his skin and letting an involuntary laugh to escape him. “He’s my buddy, Mercedes. I’m not gonna let him get into trouble, I can’t stand life without him any more, ya know?” Pausing, his heels settled deeply into the snow and he puffed out his chest. “I gotta get richer.”

Laughing softly, she nodded, “I know the feeling.” As he continued, her expression softened and she smiled, “Despite his flaws, he’s a good man, and he’s lucky to have you as a friend, too. Just perhaps… keep him away from bars until he’s sorted out whatever it is he’s trying to run from?” With the guild is sight, she turned to walk backwards a bit, so she could look at him, shaking her head, “...You could always borrow from Gus. He owes you.”

“I can do that, I just figured the lad needed some time out of the guild. He is a good man, as much as I’d like to wring his neck from time to time. I only mean my cruel words to him to be affectionate. I really do love him as much as a man can another.” Chuckling at his own ridiculous response, Shawn made a decision, irrational and yet something that let a smile to crackle along his half frozen visage. He plopped to sit in the snow, flaying back and spreading out his arms and legs.

You are such a child sometimes, Shawnie

“Oi, I suppose I could.” He shrugged, mounds of snowflakes coating his damn near bare shoulders. Despite the stinging, aching cold, he let out another laugh. “Sometimes I wish missions were just to sit back and relax, ya know? Oi...I forgot how much fun this felt.”

“He is an asset to our team, whether or not he’s the most practical minded of men… I think he forgets, sometimes, that the things we face aren’t just found on missions. But maybe that’s what we all need… to forget some--” Blinking, Mercedes paused, as suddenly, Shawn was no longer standing beside her, but had disappeared. For a moment, she couldn’t comprehend what had happened, until she heard him continue and looking down, stared wide-eyed at the man in the snow.

“...What on earth are you doing?” She asked, with a small laugh. ‘’

“Trying to get away from your philosophical we are all heavily damaged in and out of the battlefield soliloquy.” He cooed, wiggling his fingers as a pout blossomed along his demeanor. “I may be teasing ya lass, but you really sound a tad, er, bitter. Come on and join me, loosen up!” He plopped back down to his back, meticulously gathering snow between his arms. The wings of his creation weren’t perfectly curved, but they pleased him nonetheless and a warm smile burst along his cheeks.

“You're mad if you think I'm getting down there…” Mercedes shook her head, ignoring the wiggle of his fingers, all despite the inescapable smile on her lips, “You'll freeze to death…”

“Bull!” He exclaimed with a playful smile, despite the blue that threatened to creep up to his shoulders. With playfully narrowed eyes, his fingers came to snake around her ankles and with as much grace as he could, pulled her towards him and made sure his weight plummeted any hurt she could have experienced. “Ughh...for a small lass you pack a punch..”

With a squeal, Mercedes went down, not expecting the move, nor fully prepared to resist it when it did come. Cold rushed over her, as she landed half in the snow, half on Shawn and with something between shock and amusement, she laughed, “I cannot believe you just did that!”

But she was there now and already plenty uncomfortable in the frigid snow, so with an exaggerated sigh she rolled off of the Irishman and onto her back, sweeping her arms up to make her own set of wings, “There… Happy, now?”

“Oi, I can’t believe ya didn’t join me!” He exclaimed with a small giggle, pressing the back of his knuckles to his lip to drown out the noise. Resting once again in his creation, he brought his fingers together to snap in pride and triumph over her own snow angel. “Beyond happy lass. Jovial!”

Mercedes wanted to be annoyed, especially when the snow started seeping into her back and down her neck, but between his laugh and the childlike nature of the act in and of itself, she couldn't help but smile. How long had it been since she'd allowed herself to let go like this…

Finger balling into the snow, she formed a round clump and with a smirk, sat up, chucking it at Shawn, before she rose to her feet and took off.

“Oi!” He exclaimed in stuttering surprise, the mound of snow colliding into his forehead and seeping down his skin, and trickling further down his back. Shuddering from the waist up, Shawn scrambled beside him and collected the precious material between his fingers, clumping it haphazardly before chucking it in Sadie’s escaping direction.

The snow collided with the back of her head and with a squeak of outrage, Sadie spun, “Did you just…” Shaking the snow from her curls, she bent down and collected another ball, winging it back at him.

Shawn barely managed to chuck his body out of the way into the incoming snowball, only to land in another mound, face first with a soft yelp emitting from his throat, only to get suffocated in the endless white. “Oi!” Popping back into reality like a mole from its home, he pouted brightly and scrambled to make more ammo.

As he scrambled to roll the snow, Sadie’s lip curved in a smirk and straightening up, she sprinted for the man, taking a dive to tackle him into the snow, instead.

Shawn was taken aback completely by the sudden tackle, his body stiffening as he was plunged further into the silky material beneath him. “Sadie!” He exclaimed childishly, feebly pushing upon her to relieve the weight she had thrust on him. “This is not how I planned to go young lass!”

If she were honest, the last time she could recall ever having any sort of recreational fun was before she’d left France. This distinction was almost enough to ruin the moment. Almost. But plowing Shawn into the snow bank, despite the fact that he could very easily have thrown her off, watching him relent… made the moment well worth while, “Giving up that easy, Shawn?” With a grin, she shook her head, “I’m a little disappointed.”

“You’re too strong for me lass, I be defeated!” He exclaimed with a large pout, his body deflating further into his prison of icy despair. “Oi, I’ve been slain! Tell I Gustavo I loved him, but like a brother, because I suppose no homosexuality between us, or however the Americans say it.” Shawn gently placed the palms of his hands along her stomach and attempted to push her upwards, faking grunts of effort.

“Oh, darling…” With a soft laugh, Mercedes rolled off of him, and up to her feet again, holding out a hand to help him out of the snow, “...I can’t kill you. Gus would miss you far too much, and you know how he gets when he’s mopey. Besides… How would I look if I kill the last decent Irishman alive?” She added with a wink, recalling what she had told him back in the hotel that night.

“Oi, and my body is too heavy to drag around.” Shawn protested, graciously taking her hand in his and pulling himself up from the ground. Shudders and shivers intertwined down his spine, almost seamlessly. His entire body trembled, but he hid it with the biggest smile he could conjure. “I’m not the last one, lass. I can promise ya that.”

“You'd be surprised, the weight I can carry…” When he was on his feet, Mercedes helped to brush the snow from his shoulders and arms, giving a small chuckle, “You keep saying this… and yet… Come on, let's get you inside and warmed up.”

“All the wee skeletons in your closet.” He chuckled, gladly receiving the assistance in the brushing of the snow from his shoulders. Shivers continued to course through his body like an electrical current through copper. “A-aye. Good idea.”

“Oh, no, darling. I keep my skeletons on a shelf, where I can see them… so I don’t forget.” Brushing the snow from his hair, she smiled faintly, “If I’m going to put pressure on my shoulders, it will be for something worth carrying. Not my past.” Sliding her arm through his, she gave a nod, “Right… let’s go.”

“And so you can’t reach em later.” He grumbled under his breath, the chatter of his teeth audible(painfully so). “Aye, sounds like some emo poetry you’ve got going there lass, do indulge me” with a shake of his head and heavy footsteps, Shawn shuddered his way back towards the guild with a cheeky, ridiculous grin on his face.

“...Are you commenting on my height?” Mercedes asked, with a glint of feigned warning in her eyes, “Because we aren’t there, yet… and I can still take you down.” With a chuckle, she shook her head, “Gus is the poet. I just know better than to let what was define was is…”

“Yes. Absolutely, ya munchkin.” He grinned down at her, ruffling her hair beneath his clenched fist and continued to speed up his walk, just incase she decided to get revenge again. “You cannot take me down lass, you cannot. I vow to ya you cannot.”

“Oh… We'll see about that.” Fighting a grin, she raked back the mussed curls, before taking off after him.

Ronin Isaacson

Ronin's fingers drummed anxiously against his thighs as Ro took perch beside him, clearly pleased with his presence beside her. He supposed he could not mind, this was his friend after all, and tonight wasn't optimal for a good night's rest. No. Ronin, in fact, could feel his eyes droop miserably with each passing second, the dull ache behind his pupils pulsating with each breath he took. He couldn't imagine having to come home and awaken to heal harmed comrades. He supposed that's why he disliked magic. The outcomes, the necessities, and the priorities that came with it. Healing especially. As useful as it was in the field, having to put that burden upon yourself was less than nurturing towards one's own psyche. Point in case with Ro, who clearly needed a crutch in order to handle her own stability. But, as Ronin reminded himself, he did not mind. He was just going to be incredibly stiff in the morning from sleeping as he sat.

Her head met his lap, and for a moment, Ronin wanted to jump up and apologize for getting in her space. Ronin did not expect the sudden contact, and without second thought his hand cupped the back of her head, securely tugging the blankets up to her shoulders and letting her fall asleep. This is gonna fucking hurt tomorrow morning. Ro, you owe me big. Chuckling softly at the thought, Ronin was barely able to scrap his form against the wall next to the mattress, squirming so his back was fully supported and his hands could rest behind his head. "Sleep tight, munchkin." He grumbled, letting his eyes flutter close and praying that his shoulders wouldn't ache the next morning. Heaven forbid that he shared a bed. A grimace.

Heh. Getting laid on I see. I'm gonna smack myself for that one later.

Grayson Williams

Feeling Mina's hand in his made his heart throb, the sudden shift in movement removing him from the moment. He was exhausted, throat bruised and pulsating despite Ricardo's A+ care. Seriously, Grayson would pay that man to be by his bedside twenty four seven(Hush hush, that's not all what Grayson was meaning to say). Taking a deep breath, the inhale brewing his chest, Grayson rolled off the bed(majestically thank you very much) with his sheets wrapped snuggly around his waist. Scooting back to her cot on his knees, chest puffed out, he grasped her hand with both of his, beginning to hum a gentle tune under his breath as he tucked his legs beneath him, kneeling onto his shins.

"Hey, just...Um...Look kiddo I know tonight was a bit scary. Hell, I'm surprised I didn't out right faint in Aaquil's arms. You ever see a demon crawling on the ceiling in a college student who still has acne? My God. The Conjuring couldn't do that horror shit justice." Eyes darting down to the ground beneath him, Grayson tried to find words to assist in the comfort. "We are all alive, ya know? Hell, it was sort of fun! I've never wrestled a demon before! I can cross that off my bucket list now, fist fight a freaking monster from hell? Dude, wait until I tell the ladies. God, that's gonna be a great story to pass on. Me and Aaquil are gonna impress all the gals." Bobbing his head, his thoughts begun its decaying process into distortion. He had to admit, it wasn't the best night for anyone. Grayson wasn't sure how he survived, to be fairly honest, but he was grateful for his team.

Never fight your demons alone, kiddos.

"Hmm." Musing, Grayson pressed his thumb into the back of her hand, and with a tint of embarrassment to his cheeks, he whispered gently so only Mina could hear. "Jeremiah was a bullfrog. He was a good friend of mine. I never understood a single word he said, but I helped him drink his wine. And he always had some might fine wine. Singin'..." Grayson paused his musical tune, bouncing his head in rhythm to the tune. When Grayson was a child, his mother would panic briefly with how to care for her only child. Grayson even remembered his first clear, visual memory being his mother scooping him into his arms, tucking him safely under her arm as she carried him around, singing the tune. It always comforted Mulder on X-Files, so she figured it would comfort her crazy offspring as well.

Humming the continuation of the song, Grayson barely noticed the increase of his volume, simply bobbing his head to every word, every little syllable, hoping to calm his friend.

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats