Beast Within (IC)

B60B7B26-3CD1-4C37-B1EB-A1BF7850B6AC.jpeg
Steele, Juniper
Juniper just kind of watched with apple green eyes as everyone moved around frantically to heal the wounded. It didn’t bother him at all that he’d probably be taken care of last even despite the fact that his arm started dripping blood down his side a bit. It started hurting like all get out again too but he could wait. The feeling of blood trailing down his side was extremely uncomfortable as it tickled enough to feel it and enough to itch a bit. That was definitely one feeling he hated, being tickled. He left his laughter up to the imagination of everyone else.

Kook came scampering in, not to Juniper’s knowledge, with a arms full of candy. There were skittles, reeses, sour patch kids, and anything else one may desire. The hyperactive, mask wearing, illiterate boy went around putting candy on people’s heads. He was a strange person to say the least but no one questioned it as he did his missions well for the most part. Kook got around to Juniper and slapped some candy, skittles he guessed by the sound of it, on his his long brunet hair. It sent a tremor through the man causing him to growl fiercly in pain and glare at Kook’s retreating form. Trigger presense didn’t go unknown to him as well as he tended to avoid her the most. They never got along and they probably never would.

Mina Panju
Mina has been peacfully sleeping in one of thr grey beds of the imfirmary when a rather grutteral growl woke her. Her brown eyes fluttered open a bit to stare at white. Mina’s body was sore in just about every part which had her wishing she was still in a peacful slumber. Slowly, very slowly did she lift herself up into a sitting position. She wore a simple white shirt and the jeans that were worn on her mission but instead of wondering who may have changed her shirt she focused on the fact that her eyes felt heavy still, as did her body. Her chocolate eyes looked in the direction where the growl came from to see Juniper glaring at Kook’s back. Mina would have called anyone else out but she decided against it as Juni was known to have... quite the temper. His glares sent shivers down her spine too which was something to be avoided.

Last edited:
Lucia Rivera

Lucia's arms were desperate to remain around her guide as he laid her down in the makeshift cot. Adrian's breath had grown thin, his hand carefully guiding Lucia's head to rest upon the pillow set for her. Adrenaline was coursing through both of their veins, despite the exhaustion nipping at Lucia's eyelids. God...she never, ever stayed up this late! Being up until three a.m had to have been a felony! The creepy crawly missions had to have been reserved for the ghoul hunters for sure! The poltergeists and ghosts and demons...surely, they've had missions at four or...

"Fuck. Lucia." Adrian mumbled, prying her fingers from his neck as he pulled the sheets up to her waist. "Alright. Your brother should be able to handle it from here. Just..just breathe. Don't try and sleep just yet, okay? It's better that you are awake so you can help Ric-"

"I don't want Ricky to worry." Lucia mumbled, eyes fluttering uncomfortably. Blood was seeping into the creamy white sheets, causing bile to build up in the back of her throat. Adrian's next action shocked her, his fingers lacing through her hair and straightening out stray locks. A disappointed click administered itself against his teeth.

"I don't want you dead, dumbass." A frown blossomed against her unnaturally pale demeanor, a quick, brotherly kiss pressed to her forehead. "You tell anyone whose unconscious now that I did that, and I'll kill you." He grumbled, pulling away from her and straightening himself up. Despite his worry towards Lucia, she could easily tell there were several torn spots in his shirt that seeped red.

"I thought you didn't want me dead." Lucia whispered lucidly, a giggle breaking through with upmost ease. It hurt. The rattling of her body against the cot sent whimpers into the open. Adrian studied her, his teeth piercing his bottom lip.

"I don't. Just...just stay awake...fuck me...god...fucking...Grayson...." Adrian''s attention was diverted as the young hunter stumbled into the infirmary, hair coated in maroon but a clear grin painted against his countenance. Adrian's eyes flickered back to Lucia apologetically, the sight of Europa entering the increasingly cramped infirmary acting as his cue to assist his friend to lay down. Lucia couldn't bear to resist the following movement, her hand being scooped into Ro's own gentle grasp. Once again, she tried to giggle, only to grimace. Ah, happiness wasn't supposed to hurt! something had to have been really wrong for that...She felt bad that she made Adrian and Ro frown. That was never her intent.

Feebly, Lucia splayed her head towards her friend and attempted to nuzzle against her arm. "H-hey Ro! Lovely seeing you!" Attempting to pull off the biggest smile she could, Lucia struggled to keep her head and gaze upwards.

"Europa darling, I do not wish to force you, but can you please heal?" A gentle voice called from across the room, Ricardo casually scuttling along the infirmary floor, materials, chalk and a variety of herbs hanging off both him and his scrubs. "It is not professional for me to..."

"Ricky baby!" Lucia could barely hear Grayson call from his own bed, an exasperated sigh emitting from Adrian as his thumb and forefinger massaged the growing crease between his brow. "I need some Rivera lovi-"

"Is it unethical for me to hit a patient over the head." Adrian grumbled under his breath, patting down hair that had managed to poof into his eyesight. Despite the ongoing banter with Ricardo and his remaining patients, Lucia could feel her vision growing increasingly blurry. Oh...sleep...sleep sounded really nice right about now. But what did Adrian tell her about sleep? Not to? Or to do it? She couldn't remember and it began to trouble her.

"Ro?" Lucia cooed sleepily, squeezing her friends hand in hers. It felt cozy to hold someone's hand. It reminded the young girl she was loved. She liked the weird rush of emotions that flurried through her chest, like butterflies rushing into the iron bars of a cage to be released into the world. It was oddly magical. Even more so as the world around her grew wobbly. "Oh...you gonna be my angel tonight? Mi carina? ¿Ponerme de nuevo juntos?" Lucia grinned wearily, ignoring the pulsating agony that accompanied losing a chunk of flesh. It was nothing! It just...tingled? She never wanted to feel it again, that was for sure.

Even as she adjusted to the swirling physical and mental potholes scattering through out her system, Lucia could manage to hear a few things. See. Feel a little bit. Kook had slipped her some candy. Reeces..."I wove you~" She cooed, cradling the bar of sweetness close to her chest as if it was her own child. She would cherish this gift until she had a chance to completely devour the precious miracle. Someone asked what had happened. How could he not have known? It was...sort of a big deal, wasn't it? She wasn't sure. Head wobbling from side to side, she shot up a singular finger

"Wendigo!! Moose man! Cannibalistic...munch munch..." She pressed the back of her knuckles to her lips and pressed the pads of her fingers to her thumb, repeating the motion multiple times to indicate eating.

"How're you holding up, lass?" A soft, familiar voice caught her in the middle of her recreation of what happened to her shoulder. Briskly propping herself to her elbows, she shot a quick and lumbering thumb towards the ceiling. "Never better, mi madre dulce! I am...better than ever! No moosey man-demon is gonna take a bite out of me!"

Translations -

Mi Carina? Ponerme de nuevo juntos? - My dear? Put me back together?
Mi Madre Dulce - My sweet mother.

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Selene Montgomery

Selene's body dangled haphazardly from the ceiling, having been coiled in her own hanging canopy bed as she had restlessly twisted and turned in her sleep. Having been easily cocooned in the mattress sheet, her natural instinct as a knock came to the door was to struggle against her sheet's protective barrier. Selene didn't dare to claim a room in the guild. No no. What if there were to be more hunters who needed somewhere to sleep? She didn't want to take up too much space anyhow. The office was far more than enough, having a small refrigerator, a tiny computer desk, a work desk, and of course, her favorite purple computer chair. Oh how it spun when she was stressed! She didn't need any more than what she had, except the wonderful book shelf Bethany had allowed her to nail to the wall! How many notebooks were filled with drawn sketches or familiar runes were not known to Selene. They ranged to around a dozen, but the important two were stuffed safely within her computer desk. Runes and important events she had sketched. She knew she had one of herself and her sisters, as well as a group photo she had managed to sneak in on one of her first official days of working.

Regardless, she loved her office, where she could easily handle the requests sent in and send them in for approval, or even double check the clean up process of the fellow hunters. So, it was no surprise that Selene had set up camp within the humble abode. Stealing a bed sheet from a spare room(and later replacing it), Selene managed to securely tie each end to decorative posts she had set up in the back of the room. It took a lot of calculations on her end to make sure that her weight was supported, and finally, after weeks of occasionally falling out or plummeting straight to the cold wooden ground, Selene found a happy medium. However, with such a medium(and accompanied by her Ravenclaw blanket), Selene was easily wrapped up in her own device. One arm dangling towards the ground, her knuckles barely skimming the hardwood floor, her eyes flickered open with each knock and scream.

"Gah! Gah!" Oh, Kook! Oh dear, was it morning already? He must have gotten back safe and sound from the hunt, which sent relief straight through Selene's system. Despite the fact that darkness lingered within her office still, Selene figured it could be around six o'clock. Yet, exhaustion reigned supreme and her eyes threatened to screw shut once more.

"One second sweetie!" She called, desperately plucking at the sheet firmly tucked around her body. "Ah...shoot!" She exclaimed, managing to dig her fingernails underneath the fabric and pulling it away from her stomach. However, her body initially had rolled so tightly into the material, that it barely budged against her wobbly stomach. A frown punctured her features, and with a sigh she tapped the rune in the middle of her palm. This was a fire hazard to say the least, but she could always get a new canopy...a frown overtook her and she pressed the rune again to deactivate it.

"Door is open!" She claimed, praying that she remembered not to lock it the night before. She knew that Kook liked to visit, and it was mean to say the least to keep it locked and unavailable towards him. No one was there to hurt her. There was no reason to lock up at night for fear her throat would be slit...

Right? "Sorry! A little tied up right now Kookie...But do come in!"

• Love
tumblr_owyweuzNGG1vhsvi7o1_1280.gif
Try as she might, Europa could not help but look at the wound on Lucia's shoulder with a steady increase of horror. These missions were meant to be routine... standard... and yet nothing about the grotesque injury, about any of this seemed standard. In her mind she could see the wings... white against the pitch sky and her heart hammered hard in her chest as she tore her gaze away from the gaping wound, "Lucia, Sugar... You know I ain't even good at English... and you're hittin' me with that? Try to lay still, and let's see if we can't--"

She trailed off as a shadow fell over the bed and looking up, she took in Trigger as she sank down on the other side. She paled a little at the woman's question, praying silently that the anxiety she felt couldn't be seen in her eyes. She knew it was too good a hope to be true, though... Especially as more wounded began to filter in. Her eyes hit Grayson, and a twinge of panic clamored over her chest. Averting her eyes, she nodded faintly to the older woman, with as little commitment as she dared, "She... she will be." She answered, with a firm nod, willing herself to straighten, to pull together what remaining ounce of courage she had left in her. She was needed... she couldn't let them down.

Hands shaking slightly, she allowed them to hover over Lucia, and swallowing, she forced a weary smile, "Just lay real still now, Sugar. This'll be faster than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking competition..." With another nod, she steadied her hands and closing her eyes, murmured the words it seemed she had said so much in the past twenty-four hours. Here though, with no witch hovering over her, and without the added weight of weariness from having healed so much already, she managed the spell in one shot, the golden, gleaming circle of light filling the space with a warmth that momentarily made her forget about the terror she'd seen splashed across the skies...

As the wound sealed and Ro let her hands fall back into her lap, she breathed out, and a more genuine smile appeared on her lips, "Pretty as peaches, darlin'... and hardly a-- Ack!" In that moment, Kook had suddenly appeared and candy rained down on them like a rainshower from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. A pack of twizzlers landed in her lap and she laughed softly, "Thanks, Kookaburra..." She murmured, as he bounced off out the door. Her gaze flickered briefly over to Juniper who growled in Kook's wake, and her lips folded in a small frown.

"Juni! You should have pressure on that! Or a towel or... something, till we can get to ya! Jeepers." Grimacing, her eyes shifted back to Lucia, "How's it feelin', Luce?"

Reactions: KatSea
Grayson Williams

"Hows my fine Spanish flower doing today?" Grayson cooed, although his head was lighter than he would have liked to admit. Ricardo's hands nearly encased the entirety of his face as he cupped his cheeks, before moving down to check the bruise on the young man's neck. "Ow! Ricky...I've already been man handled at least three times today...take it easy on little old me..."

"You've got any duct tape? A sedative?" Adrian growled, his fingers digging into the fabric of his friend's jersey. Grayson flinched, an action which immediately caused Adrian to remove his hand from the man's shoulder. Stuffing his hands deeply into his jean pockets, Adrian's eyes fluttered sleepily. While he had been somewhat wounded, he bit back any complaints and merely watched Ricardo's brief check up on Grayson's slumped form. "Something to make him shut up for once?"

"You'd be sad if you didn't hear my angelic, God given voice." Grayson claimed, head bobbing weakly as Ricardo began to set up his circle of renewal. Grayson had only the pleasure of going through the isle of warmth once or twice during his missions. Majorly, he was kept towards minor healing spells because his line of ghoul and poltergeist work was less than exciting. Well, that wasn't true. Grayson loved his work more than anything else. He just didn't tend to get injured as much.

"Everyone else would be rather pleased." Adrian spat back, but he didn't deny Grayson's initial claim, causing a smile of absolute pride to beam out of his ridiculous, bloodied countenance. "And what did I say about not dying while I was gone? You really are a fucking idiot."

"I didn't die..." Grayson replied with a corrective pout. "You are just a worry wart, silly..."

"Fuck off." Adrian mumbled, although his features softened considerably. Biting his lip, he glanced over to Ricardo who had averted his attention to him. No circle for him. Ricardo had pulled out a variety of medicines from the cabinet, most likely concoctions other guilds had been working on. Adrian didn't know much, other than these concoctions were heavily induced with magic. Specifically light and ritual. Regardless, Ricardo tossed him one vial and it was enough to make Adrian want to throw up. Oh God. From what Grayson could see, it must have tasted like a mixture of dirt and sulfur.

"Regardless, glad to see you are okay..." Grayson smiled warmly, feeling beginning to return in some of his wounded areas. His eyes fluttered over to Mina briefly, then up to Kook as candy was plopped into his lap. Skittles! Oh, Grayson couldn't express such a high level of happiness. "Dude! You rock! Have a goodnight my sugary brother!" Waving merrily, Grayson crackled open the skittles package and dumped a majority of the red and purple into his mouth. Munching, his eyes met Ro's momentarily and he began waving again. Oh, he was happy everyone was doing alright. Even if Adrian seemed rather...cranky. Grayson didn't blame him. It was late. They were all injured. None of it was good. Taking a green skittle from the package, he gently tossed it over to Mina's lap as a gift.

"Stay awake! Come on...don't be so sweepy..."

"Shut up." Adrian pleaded, only to get a yellow skittle chuckled at his lips. "You fucking idiot."

• Love

Aaquil "Virtue" | Interactions: Emily | Location: Infirmary

The altercation proved to be more dangerous than any of them had anticipated. Yes, Aaquil and the others were briefed on the mission, were told in fair detail of what creature they were facing against, but the extent of that demon's power... It was unexpected and because of this, injuries were abound. Aaquil could only thank the gods that his dear friends survived the ordeal and he was able to receive a wonderful bear hug from Dear Gray.

Speaking of said heavenly embrace, he had stuck true to this word. For the entire way back, all the way up to a bed in the infirmary, Aaquil had kept Gray within his arms. Once he was finally receiving some medical attention, the Argentinian finally allowed himself to relax--somewhat--and released him, laying down on an empty bed for himself. The bruises and gashes throbbed insistently, more so now than before ever since the adrenaline had faded. Dear, oh dear... He was the healer of the group and yet... yet...

He would do better to keep everyone safe and healthy. He swore upon his own soul!

Even as a fellow guild member healed his wounds, his hazel eyes roamed the area swiftly. Almost frantically, yet still softened with a natural warmth. Concern threatened to gnaw away at the base of his foundations and crumble his composure, but he maintained it the best he could. Distracting everyone from their wonderful efforts was unwise and he'd never take attention away from healing. Never. Gray seemed to be in good spirits as always, especially so with Dear Adri's presence nearby. Mina seemed to be awakening from her spell of exhaustion. Another fellow seated on the other side of the room was... bleeding. Profusely. But other than that, he didn't do anything except shoot glares. Hmm, a storm of the cloud hangs over that one's head.

It was unfortunate, to say the least.

Dear Lucy was... Aaquil's eyes widened, mouth dropping briefly as oxygen escaped his lungs. Wha... what happened to her?? Surely, the Wendigo couldn't have... He swallowed shallowly, eyes fluttering closed as his head met the pillows, battling down an intense wave of nausea.

She would be okay.

She would be okay...

Everyone was alright.

A few moments of basking in the darkness obscuring his vision helped to soothe him, albeit slowly. He opened his eyes just in time to catch a streak of yellow and feel something plopped onto his face. Blinking, Aaquil grabbed the Butterfingers, an appreciative smile pulling at his lips. "The many grateful thanks, dear Kook!" Of course, his thanks went unheard, as Kook was gone rather quickly. No matter. Dear Kook would show back up soon. He thrived on the energy of others. However, his thoughts derailed when another guild member stumbled up to his bed, arms brimming with supplies as she scrambled to grab what the healers needed. One moment of locking eyes with her sparked recognition between them. Aaquil brightened and waved jovially. "Hello, Dear Emily! You are the doing the good job with helping, yes?"

Emily was in the processing of dashing away, so wrapped up in her job that she barely caught Aaquil's words. However, the sunniness behind that smile and voice and... err... everything, would've been sinful to ignore. She adjusted the supplies awkwardly. "Um, h-hey, Aaquil. Love to talk but I gotta, you know."

Lips pursed into what he thought was a serious expression (not at all), he nodded and said, "You are the right. We shall talk after all of the patients are the stable, yes? The fight was intense and I am in need of the healing of hugs."

Emily gave pause. Blinked at Aaquil. Then looked behind her, as if waiting for a prank team to emerge from any nook or cranny of the room. "Uhhh... healing hugs? I'm not really that touchy so..."

But then the ghost of a pout was about to pull at Aaquil's lips and panic couldn't have flooded her system faster.

"I-I mean! Not that I'm say no! It's just, uh, I'm awkward about that! About everything! And I don't want you to deal with awkward hugs and stuff so I... I... Uh." She cleared her throat, backing away quickly. "Y-yeah! Hugs and talk later!" She sped off to the next patient.

Aaquil watched her leave with an amused but confused grin. Then, he shrugged, and laid back down, opening the Butterfingers. Emily was a sweet girl. He liked her!

Kook | Interactions: Selene and Canopy of Death @KatSea | Location: Selene's Office

"One second sweetie!"

...One.

There!

Kook didn't really listen to anything else Sel had to say. All the confirmation he needed was the sound of her voice and the usual inflection behind. It was okay for him to enter. He jiggled the door, but it was locked. How dare! "Gah! Guhah!" Kook huffed, glaring holes through the handle...

"Door is open!"

Yis!

Like a bull hyped up on sugar and wearing red-tinted shades, he came barreling into the office. Yes! New room! Not new! But new for today. And it was Sel's office. And Sel was nice. And easy to tease. And let him break shit--

Thud!

"GAH!" When did that desk get there?! Why did it want to trip him?? Before Kook was able to think anything else, the darn evil thing had smacked straight into his legs and sent him flying over it and hitting the floor on the other side. He laid on his back, cackling and staring at the ceil--

Everything was brown. A very dark brown. Which colors did you mix to make brown again? He forgot. Sel would know.

His knees throbbed.

He scrambled back onto his feet, finally taking in the big canopy hitched in the middle of the office. There was a body inside. Egad! Was it a dead body?! That sounded like fun. Prancing over and fingers wiggling, he peeped into the cloth contraption, garner an eyeful of Sel. Alive.

Oh! Welp... the floor was actually a mahogany brown--

"Guh!" Bouncing in place a moment, Kook looked at Sel again, realizing that she was stuck. Ha! Stuck! Like Chuck! Who was Chuck? Did he know a Chuck? He knew the doll. What a handsome baby murderer. He was damn ugly. "Guhuhheheheheheh!" Raising a single finger to signal "one moment", Kook grabbed one end of the canopy and tried to literally rip it loose.

One tug. "Guh!"

Two tugs. "Gah!"

Two and a half. "Geh..." No go. Not enough sugar in his body. RECHARRRRRGE!

He scarfed down a honeybu--he was wearing a mask. Couldn't do that. Whoops, forgot. Later.

He had dropped the candy when he came in earlier...

"Gah!" Time to untie the canopy then.

De-loop. Stat!

Check.

Loosen!

Check.

Slipped!

Goddammit!

...Check.

With a final flick of the wrist, the tie came undone and Kook watched as Sel went plummeting to the floor.

He caught her without much thought though, holding the woman and tilting his head down at her. "Guh!" He pointed at the honeybun he had balanced on his head... Lies. It fell off a while ago. "Guh..."

Last edited:
  • Love
Lucia Rivera

"I don't understand English that well either...azúcar." Lucia claimed with a soft giggle, swallowing down the sudden taste of bile that piled against her tongue. Ew. It was so freaking gross! She didn't understand why she felt like she needed to hurl(as the Americans said). She was perfectly alright! She was awake(which was maybe what Adrian wanted?) and fully ready to leave the bed... "Ah...Ah..." Hissing sharply through her teeth, Lucia lowered herself back down into the mattress and stared deeply into her friend's gaze, eyes pleading and glazed over with exhaustion. "Sweetie...I wanna nap so bad..." Eyes fluttering closed, Lucia plopped her head close to Ro's stomach, following her own breathing once she adjusted. Ro had simply asked her to stay still, so she would, body at ease despite the blaring pain that once again flared up. Oh. This had to stop! Lucia hated feeling so friggin sleepy. She needed to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for her madre dulce. That and for Adrian, Gray, sweet Ro...Her eyes flickered across the infirmary. Yes. Even Juniper and Gustavo.

Warmth flooded her body, starting in the tips of her fingers and swiftly shooting across her veins. Gathering pleasantly in her stomach, Lucia released a soft exhale. Her shoulder bathed in bright light, cascaded in warmth, as if she had been embraced and given a blanket to drape over her body. Content fluttered in her belly, a bright grin stretching across her lips. "See, pretty as sunshine!" Lucia exclaimed, throwing her arms around her friend and briefly nuzzling her cheek into hers. With an over exaggerated "muah!", Lucia plucked a big kiss to her friend's forehead. "Thank you sweetie." Beaming, she propped herself to sit and gave a bright smile to Trigger.

"See! I'm all better. Ro's got the magic touch, you know?" Lucia ruffled the back of her head sheepishly, piling up her curls over her face until it was completely obscured. Brushing her hair from her face, a broad grin continued its reign across her demeanor. "So stop worrying silly billies! Get to bed, eat your candy ~" Her thumb began to peel the wrapping from her peanut butter delight. Nipping gently on the chocolate, her eyes fluttered back into her skull. "I owe Kook my life, my house, my income..." Pausing, she batted her eyelashes in utter innocence. "Um...chocolate on my face or..."

"Also, I am wonderful! I feel better than before." Lucia vowed to her friend, hand pressed firmly to her heart with her head raised high. "Your gift of healing is well received. I owe you, my friend!"

• Love
Selene Montgomery

"Kook? Sweetheart?" Selene called out with the sudden crash from the opposite side of the room. Barely managing to get the canopy to swing, Selene attempted to peek out of her cocoon and witness Kook crash straight into her work desk. Grimacing, the woman's free hand motioned him over once he was on his feet. "Oh dear, I hope you are alright! That looked like quite a fall...Oh, once I'm out of this contraption I can make sure you are in tip top shape sweetheart." Peering into the dark, Selene could barely manage to feel that the canopy was...shaking. Oh. God. Kook.

"Um...sweetheart careful please..." Grinning sheepishly, she clutched the hem of her blanket to her chest. Cowering underneath the safety of her blue raven, Selene stared in silence with each 'GUH' and 'GAH', not surprised by the motion made by her friend. Rather, she was incredibly grateful for the assistance she was receiving. Kook was such a sweetheart, even when he was goofy or rambunctious. Selene found it rather endearing, and even as her eyes scrunched up in anticipation, a wave of relaxation pulsed through her. With his assistance, Selene managed to pluck her arm that had been brutally pinned to her side, sweat beginning to perspire against her skin. "Thank you sweetie I think I..." Before Selene had a chance to squirm from her captivity, she realized that gravity had taken her fate into its own hands. A small yelp threatened to escape her, but she was lucky to receive a cushioned landing from Kook's arms. Pressing a hand to her chest, she felt her heart hammer against her ribcage.

"Oh, thank you so much sweetheart!" Selene proclaimed, safely tucking herself underneath her blanket and maintaining a gaze as to what Kook was gesturing to. His head? Peeking up from her position, Selene bobbed her head before it tilted, much resembling a slumbering kitten. "I know I can always trust ya to help me out of these silly conundrums. Sorry for seeming so ridiculous." Grinning, she plucked at the rubbed band keeping her rats nest in a haphazard bun. Peeking back over his shoulder, however, Selene could recognize the possible item the gesture referred to. "Hmm?" Placing a hand on his shoulder, Selene gingerly lifted herself from the grotesque pile of sheets, Harry Potter blankets, and readjusted her shirt that threatened to blind Kook with her pale stomach. Making her way over to the precious gift, she retrieved the honey bun from the floor. Holding up to inspect it, Selene chuckled and made her way back to the mess, holding it up for him with a gentle smile. "Missing something sweetie?"

Incidentally… hiding a six foot tall rat, wolf, whatever hybrid wasn't as uncomplicated a task as Europa had initially hoped. But nothing… not the near white-out blizzard, nor the gnawing uneasiness about trying to hang on to such a big secret, nor the notion that Roro might not fully understand what they were doing… could quite squash her indefatigable optimism. She was fairly sure, though, Ronin was gonna kill her…

Finally, however, after all the hunting, herding and at least four separate occasions of falling face first in three feet of snow, they discovered accommodations that would be appropriate and hidden enough… The hard part was convincing Roro that staying there was safest… And that Galluem would be able to visit, but that they had to keep him in the guild for the time being. Wiped from the mission, Mercedes did her best to communicate with him, but she informed Ro and Ronin she wouldn’t be able to put any ward runes on the burrow until she’d properly researched one, and that would likely take the remainder of the night.

On the walk back to the guild, Ro stuffed her hands into the pocket of her coat, shivering slightly, as the temperature dipped lower and lower. The sky overhead was a pale gray, moonless, covered by swollen clouds, delivering snow in furious bursts, “...Okay… I t-think I c-can officially ag-gree with y-you, R-r-ronin. Th-this p-part of w-w-inter’s n-not my f-f-favorite.”

Ronin wasn’t sure how in hell he was able to find the small drop off close by the guild, but miraculously, underneath some brush, there happened to be a small indentation within the small hill. It took a lot of encouragement for Roro to agree to lie there for the meantime, and for a moment, inside his bitter cold chest, Ronin felt an inclination towards guilt. Shaking the bizarre emotion off his shoulders, he continued to trudge despite the snow bees bashing themselves against his arms. The seeping blood wasn’t much of an assistance, and more than once, he felt himself stumble. “S-shit.” However, noticing that Ro also was complaining over the cold, an amused smirk took his features by full control. Cautiously undoing his coat from his torso, he held it out with a perked brow. “Milady, can I say I fucking told you so?”

“Y-y-you c-can, b-but I c-can’t hear y-you over my t-teeth ch-ch-chatter-- NO!” Looking at him, Ro frowned severely, shaking her head, despite the amusement in her eyes, “Y-you p-put that back on this m-minute! Y-you think I want y-you t-to freeze t-to d-death?? Y-you know h-how much you w-weigh? I’d n-never c-carry you b-back!”

“Take it!” Ronin demand, eyes hooded with each stammer the young southern lady was forced to shudder through. Ronin had lived in the New England area most of his life, so he was well adjusted...even if he detested it, to the cold. He held it out despite the rejection, an annoyed pout puffing at his cheeks. “Consider it the first part of training, sugar plum.”

“Bah! N-no w-way!” Rubbing her arms, she ignored his coat, “N-nothing about c-carting y-your heavy b-butt b-back h-home is training!”

“It increases the non existent muscles you have. And it teaches you discipline. Fucking take it.” He insisted, and despite himself, a charming smile split his cheeks. “Please. I insist.”

“I h-have m-m-muscles!” She protested, pouting, “I c-can t-take you! I j-just c-can’t c-c-carry y-you!”

“Oh for the love of…” Walking between the two, Mercedes grabbed the jacket and tossed it over Ro’s head, “You two are pathetic.” With a grin, still shaking her head she continued forward.

Ro grabbed the jacket from her head and made a face at Mercede’s back, she shook her head, “...I h-hate you b-both…”

“You can’t take me and you do not have any strength. Didn’t your mother tell you to never lie, little miss holy?” He reached up to smooth back his hair into submission, biting his lip and letting his eyes follow Mercedes’ as she tossed his jacket over Ro’s head. “Ha! She’s on my side...thank...G-g-g-god…” he stammered as the cold settled in, desperately pulling the winter hat over his ears and shuddering. “Y-you l-l-love us...sugar plum…”

“I-it was my G-grandma, th-thank you.” Sticking her tongue out at him, she looped an arm through his, proactively ignoring any complaints the man might have, “If y-you’re gonna m-make me wear it, I’m g-gonna leech on y-you. D-deal with it.” Fighting a grin, she shook her head, “Y-you’re l-lucky I d-do.”

“H-hey! D-d-don’t t-touch me short s-stuff.” He chattered through his clenched teeth, instinctively(and without his full consent) increased the strength of his grip. “Yeah...y-yeah. Just d-don’t tell anyone about this. And I-Ill give you y-y-your hat w-w-when we get back...i-if…”

“S-stop.” She muttered, “It’s c-cute. Y-you can k-k-keep it…” A grin spread, still slightly chattering, “Th-thanks f-for the coat.” Biting her lip, she looked over at him, frowning slightly at the gashes, still seeping on his shoulder and chest, on his cheek... “Wh-when we get back, I’ll t-try healing you again.”

“I-I can’t k-keep this f-fluffy a-ass little…” Ronin paused, grumbling as he decided not to let the gift go to waste. “It’s f-fine. Sorry it’s b-bloody and covered in g-gunk.” His brow furrowed tightly, to the point of a permanent scowl. He shook his head “S-still don’t know if you are r-ready.”

“H-hey…” Shaking her head, her grin widened, “T-that’s m-my fluffy b-butt hat… And y-you better love it and t-take care of it!” Giving him a nudge, she chuckled, “I’m g-gonna try anyway. Y-you can’t s-stop me from tr-tryin’.”

“Whatever.” He growled, although made no attempt to squirm from her grip. Rather, he continued to trudge until the guilds outline came into view. He snickered. “D-don’t hurt yourself sugar plum”

“H-hurt m-myself? Y-you’re a bleeding m-mess, darlin’. I could p-put pencils in you and p-put you on a desk.” With a chuckle, she looked ahead of them, “D-do you think R-r-roro will be okay out here t-tonight?”

“W-wasn’t my f-fault crazy witch wanted a piece.” He grumbled in complaint, once again finding his fingers pulling down the edges of the hat. He shrugged. “It’s a wild dog. I assume Roro...whatever it is. Has been fine on its own. One more night won’t kill it.”

“Y-you’re a c-cutie pie, d-darlin’. Wh-what did you expect?” Eyes flickering up as he pulled down the hat, she wrinkled her nose with a smile, “Y-yeah… Y-you’re probably right. H-he’ll be fine.” But she was still gonna worry herself sick over him, undoubtedly, “Th-thank God we’re b-back…”

“O-oh, so that warrants a w-witch d-digging in?” Rolling his eyes, he tucked his shoulders in and attempted to bundle as closely to himself as he could. Another large shudder traveled up now spoke. “Y-yeah. Thank g-god. Bethany w-was crazy s-sending us l-like this.”

“B-but we g-got the job done.” She grinned, “We’re a p-pretty good t-team…” Giving him a nudge, she watched light spill into the snow as Mercedes made it inside ahead of them, “I’m g-glad you’re okay, R-ronin. I was w-worried.”

“Y-yeah. I’m r-rough and t-tumble and y-you throw rocks.” Grinning, Ronin gestured for her to enter ahead of him. He shook as much snow from himself as possible, threatening to buckle to his knees as the final shake took too much of his energy. “Why in hell were you worried?” Another buckle and he found himself clinging to her for support. “I’m obviously fine.”

“Oof....” As he clung, Ro nearly toppled over, the sudden weight a lot more than she was expecting. But bracing herself, she managed to heft him up, concern taking over as colored leached from her skin, “...Okay. You… y-you are comin’ with me and we are g-getting you healed, before you end up deader’n a flea on a gator. Let’s go, darlin’” Gesturing down the hall, she pointed him towards the rooms.

“Told you you have no muscle.” He nearly growled, although took most of his weight from her, despite the growing pain in his chest and stomach. He could feel the blood begin to trickle again, and despite all odds of science and statistics, he was beginning to feel light headed and nauseous. “You...are in no position to do this young lady..”

“Don’t you argue with me. I’m doin’ this, and I’m not hearin’ otherwise, stubborn goat.” She said, with just an edge of authority, as she half dragged, half led the man down the hallway. Her door was closest, and pushing it open, she pressed two fingers to the doorframe, before nodding him inside, “Sit.”

Inside, her room was a hodgepodge of odd decor - the bed sat in the center, oddly canted at an angle and several shelves lined the walls behind it, filled with knickknacks and tokens - charms - immaculately kept and maintained. There was a shabby dresser, a large, rickety looking armchair adorned with a soft, pale lavender throw blanket and a footstool in bright purple. Beside the bed, on a nightstand bedecked by ivory lace, a large glass container of Morton’s sea salt and a yellow journal, lovingly worn at the edges, with a blue daisy on the cover.

“Did you just call me a fucking goat? Bitch I can’t-” A shock of pain struck Ronin through his torso, stunning him briefly as he grasped for a place to land. Stumbling towards her bed, he managed to lower himself onto his back. Splaying his legs out, he reached his hands behind his head and exhaled slowly. “You can’t do this...just let Ricky handle it...go get a nap in or something. You probably sleep in a hollow tree or some shit. Squirrel slaves.” He wiggled his fingers, realizing now that the lack of blood was causing his sense of reason to slowly evaporate.

“...Squirrel… slaves? Ronin, darlin’... You talkin’ out your butt, now. Lay still.” shedding both costs she wore and dropping down beside him, she frowned softly. Blood on her comforter… she'd need to change that later, “I'm doing this. No more talking.” Her finger pressed to his lips, before she let her hands hover over him. The incantation escaped softly, a glimmering circle forming, ethereal incandescence briefly warming the room.

“Did you just tell me to…” Her finger over his lips caused his entire body to tense up, baring his teeth at her in protest. Rather, he did keep the hold upon his tongue, feeling warmth course through his entire body. He didn’t dare look down at his bloody wounds, knowing fully well that the actual healing process would make him feel sick. Soon pain fluttered away entirely from his body, a gentle breath cascading against the back of his teeth. His body slumped tiredly into the bed. “Didn’t think you had it in you, short stuff.”

“That’s because you’re a big dummy.” She mused, with a small smile, as she flopped down next to him, “Ricky’s already the pretty one, and the smart one… can’t let him be better at everything, or they won’t let me stay here, no more. And you…” She stated, poking him in the cheek gently, “Would miss me so much if I were gone.”

“I have to agree, he sure is pretty.” Ronin smirked, leaning his head back into the mattress and letting his eyes fluttered close. He didn’t pay any mind to the fact she was right next to him, and rather attempted to spread his body further across the mattress. “What makes you so certain, sugar plum?”

“Mm… I’m totally telling him you said that.” She grinned, fully aware that he was well enough to pummel her if he really wanted to. Rolling onto her stomach, she looked at him with a crooked smirk, giving a shrug, “Intuition. I think you’d miss me a whole dang lot. Probably cry. It’d be a great big ugly mess…”

“That’s fine. Maybe he’ll share his sentiments and we can have a beautiful blonde Colombian family. Or I can wing that with Lucy.” He cooed, still somewhat lightheaded after the healing and the return of properly flowing blood. “No. I don’t cry, woman. I’ll probably wonder where in hell the pestering noise went and...I don’t know, drink some of that sorrow out of my system?”

“You are definitely not gonna wing that with Lucy.” Ro remarked, with a small chuckle, though her expression chilled, oddly, “You’re too grumpy, and Ricky would kill you, dead as a possum on route 66.” Blinking slightly, she leaned up on her elbow, head tilting slightly, “Wait… really? Sorrow? I’s just messin’... but you… Hm.”

“I can try, damn it.” He grinned, although the humor was short lived. He had too much respect for the Rivera’s, that was for sure. Besides, they scared him somewhat. “What? I need a pain in my ass to remind me what life is all about.”

Sitting up slightly, Ro raked fingers through a mess of red curls, frowning slightly as she mulled over those words, “..I… I feel like that was borderin’ on a compliment, somewhere in there, but I ain’t quite sure. What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I don’t know. Just feel weird if you weren’t there to pester me.” He smirked again, knocking his elbow gently against her ribs. “Just a feelin. Now...what’s this about you feeling like you need some help?”

“...Well heck and a handful, Ronin Isaacson with a real, honest to God feelin’? As I live and breathe, hell’s frozen over.” With a teasing glint in her eyes, she looked over at him again, but her expression sobered as he continued, “...I dunno… Just...I get worried out there, you know? Onacounta I don’t know how to do much else. If… if you taught me how to… fight, maybe I wouldn’t feel so useless all the time.”

“I’ve got a lot of God honest feelin. Mother would kill me if I didn’t.” Patting his chest with his knuckles, he forced himself to sit and cracked his knuckles. “Well, honestly, that feeling starts with you, kiddo. You’re the only one who makes you useless. No matter what I teach you.”

Grimacing slightly as he sat up, Ro shook her head, “S’not like I’m tryin’ to be self-deprecatin’ or nothin’. Just… not a whole lot I can handle out there, where it don’t involve healin’ stuff up. You and I both know, Ronin… that rock… what happened there? That wasn’t skill. I’d just feel better if there was somethin’ I could do ‘sides magic.”

“You can, you know. It’s just the matter of what you think. I didn’t learn sword fighting in a day. But it started with me thinking of my own strengths, even if it did simply start at being a side fighter.” Ronins lips pursed “But sure, I’ll beat up your ass.”

With a small chuckled, Ro shrugged, “...My strengths ain’t exactly as obvious as yours, Ronin? Your bicep’s the size of my whole body.” With a grin, she pushed herself to her feet with a nod, “Okay! Show me what to do… What do I…” Holding up her hands, she squared off in a fashion that was, to no extent, indicative of a prodigy student, “Bring it on!”

“I’ve crushed bigger necks than yours, biscuit.” He claimed with a soft roll of his eyes, setting his shield down to the ground briefly. This would most certainly mean she had a better chance at hitting him, but he had dear old rune writings to help him with a little something extra. He gently pressed his fingers to his covered up shoulder, a grin bestowing itself upon his face. “Try and hit me, buttercup.”

“Eugh… that's not a very nice image, Ronin.” She protested briefly, before remembering they were supposed to be training. Witches didn't care about nice images either, and the memory of Ronin's face being carved into brought her back to her senses. Balling her fist, she swung at his shoulder, missing entirely, toppling into the man.

The moment she attempted to swing into his shoulder, he grasped both hands around her wrists, used her weight against her, twirled her around and crossed her arms behind her, pinning her without hesitance. He was sure to be gentle, but any movement she would have tried, he squeezed harder into her wrists. “So, wanna try and get out?”

With a squeak, Ro wiggled for a moment against the sudden restraint, before giving a terse nod, expression as serious as she could muster, despite the sudden pink exterior of her skin.

“So typically, someone’s got you restrained like this, you are gonna have to try and hurt them in a sensitive area. Throat, nose, toes. Junk. Best places to hit. Go ahead.”

Eyes widening, she canted her head back as much as she could, to look up at him, “You want me to… Ronin! I could hurt you!

“I could hurt you too” he claimed, voice calm as ever. In a moment he twisted one arm behind her back, his free arm wrapping firmly around her neck. “Now because I’m nice I’m not going to strangle you. But you can imagine there are other people who would.”

Fear trickled down her spine and swallowing, Ro sucked in a sharp breath. He was right. He was usually right. Thinking the best about everyone put her at a damnable disadvantage… Grimacing, she adjusted her position and without much warning, stomped down on his foot.

Ronin saw this ahead of time, moving his foot out of the way and tightening his grip. “Again. I’d recommend nose or throat, to be fair. They are the closest to your own skull. If you are struggling you can’t always hit the foot or sensitive area. Your best bet is to hit your head back. It only takes two pounds of pressure to jam someone’s nose into their skull, you know?”

“Egads… that's awful.” Shivering, she flinched as pressure increased and with it the unconscious notion that he wasn't going to let her get off easy. She'd asked for this… but suddenly, she couldn't quite remember what she was thinking, “I don't wanna hurt you…”

“But I could want to hurt you, and with your job, it’s kill or be killed.” He didn’t let up upon the pressure to her neck, only stopping to adjust the grip on her wrist. “You can heal me afterwards, pansy.”

Kill or be killed… Her mind filtered back to the witch. The rock. She'd thrown it without thinking. Without registering the consequences. Even knowing the woman wasn't dead… not really… it still put a weight on her chest. And the witch was most definitely not Ronin…

His grip remained tense against her neck and she felt a lightheadedness that was somewhat jarring… But he wouldn't…

Except wouldn't he? Wasn't it what she'd asked for.

Muttering something that sounded deceptively like a swear word, she swung back against him, aiming for the center of his face.

Ronin expected her reaction, however, it was much quicker than he initially anticipated, and pain exploded across his face. Letting her go as his arms went limp, he instinctively reached his hand to cover his scrunched up nose. He grinned despite the pain. “Not bad.”

“Oh no!” Spinning around, Ro winced at the sight of him covering his nose with his hands, “Oh, Ronin. I'm sorry…” cheeks flushed, she shook her head, “Are you okay?”

“Woo...better than okay sugar...ow. Ow.” Ronin tried not to grimace, as to allow the pain to spread even further, He reached for his own jacket(which had naturally fallen off her as they tumbled to the bed), placing it up to put pressure in case blood decided to flow. “Fuck. You got a thick ass skull. Makes sense, to be honest.”

“Oof…” Making a face, one filled with regret and concern, she crossed the room and rifling into one of her drawers, pulled out a pack of tissues, “Here… Stop destroying that poor coat, would you?” Reaching up, she pulled the coat away, and replaced it with a tissue, “Ain’t got the sense God gave a goose… Why’d you let me do that?”

“It’s already drenched in my blood and cut up, there really is no saving it.” He protested, and with the small change in pressure he flinched, although he held up the tissue to his nose as tightly as he could. “Because I wanted to see if you could do that in a real fight. And it turns out you can.”

Making a face, she shook her head, “So… so it was good?” A small smile formed, building bigger by the moment, and running her hands through her hair, she gave a small, easy shrug, “You’re saying I’m buff and impressive??”

“Not buff. You don’t have to be buff in order to go after an enemy. You just have to know their weak points. Case proven with that rock. Although...that was more of a lucky shot than anything else. And if I’m right, that witch is more than alive with a familiar. So, just be cautious. Ah...fuck...Your...god woman, I think your skull is a lot thicker than what it should be.”

Blinking, Ro swallowed, moving to the edge of the mattress, “...Y-yeah. I didn’t forget about that. Do… do you think she’ll…” Biting her lip, she shook her head, “Doesn’t matter. Nevermind.” Rubbing her arms, she looked up at him, “I am sorry, Ronin. I… I didn’t mean t’hurt you. Momma always said I had a head full of air, too.”

“It doesn’t matter. She’ll eventually get hunted down.” Ronin shrugged, nonchalant and not particularly caring about the outcome. Witches came and went. They were pains in his ass, but easily disposed. He chucked. “No. No. I’m glad you did. If you can hurt me. Your friend. You can hurt anyone.”

“...You say that like it’s a good thing…” She sighed softly, and her gaze lowered, her fingers plucking idly at the mass of charms around her wrist, “...If I can hurt someone I care about, what sort of person does that make me?” Shaking her head, she rose again, clearing her throat, “...Golly… Gettin’ all wrapped up in my head, ain’t I. ‘Spose to be trainin’, and I’m sittin’ here belly achin’. But don’t think I ain’t healin’ that, later…” She gestured to his nose.

“Makes you able to attack when you need to. Illusionary or possession based attacks come a lot more than you may think.” Lowering his head back as to relieve a minor amount of pain, he exhaled slowly through his mouth. “Listen. If you are really gonna be fighting beyond healing...I recommend growing a pair, sugar plum. You are gonna hurt and kill things. Part of the job description.’

“Hurt and kill bad things…” she mumbled, “Just cause you want everyone to think you're a big jerk, don't make you one.” She knew what came with the job. But there were limitations… there had to be, “A jerk wouldn't make me wear his coat… or worry I'm too tired to heal him. I see through it, you know. Maybe it'd be better if we started off with something practical… like how to throw a punch without fallin’ over?”

“Oh, I’m an asshole. It’s apparent. It’s written all over me.” He gestured to his now crooked nose, a pain chuckle rocking him. “Why else would you go full force on my poor, sensitive nose?” Eyes softening in a near display of mockery, Ronin rolled onto his back and laid his head further back into the mattress. “That’s a good idea. There are many effective ways to do that. Lets see if I can teach you one.”

“You're about as honest as the Devil in a confessional, Ronin. You may be a grouch, but you got a heart in there.” With a grin, Ro shrugged, “I just have a hard head, like you said. And it ain't like it hasn't been busted before…”

Biting her lip, she nodded, adjusting her stance to prepare for instruction, “Alright… what'do I do?”

“Devil wouldn’t have a chance to go to a confessional. Burned to a crisp.” Ronin patted his chest, supposedly where this heart of his lied. Placing the remaining tissues to the side, he brushed his knuckles against his lip to make sure there was no more gushing blood. His nose was crooked, he knew for sure, but was relieved she didn’t apply any more pressure.

Slowly he rolled off the bed, hopping to his feet with a lumbering stance. He took her wrist, clenching her first for her. “Just watch me, I’ll show you how to throw a punch, and then you are going to punch me. Clear? I’m gonna show you how to punch and block.”

With a nod, she allowed him to mold her fist, quizzical as she eyed her hand after, taking in the formation and locking it to memory, “Right. Okay…”

“Alright. So here’s what you are going to do.” He went through the motion a few times without making contact, wrist up initially and twisting so the fist made contact with the open air before him. “Alright. Hit me.”

Focused, despite the discomfort in her chest, Ro paid mind to the gesture he pantomimed, and when he'd released her, she stepped back slightly, fist balled, before swinging at his chest, missing his torso, knuckles grazing closer to his shoulder.

Ronin held his palm out flat, managing to catch her fist moments before it could collide with his shoulder, wrapping one hand around her wrist, he twisted his body and managed to flip her over his shoulder, onto the mattress. Safe and sound, but decent revenge for the damage on his nose. “Try again, weak for your first shot.”

With a squeal, Ro hit the mattress, eyes widening as she stared up at the ceiling, momentarily disoriented by the sudden change in momentum, “You did that...on purpose…” She groaned, before rolling over, pushing herself upright again. Standing, she planted her feet and eyeing him, smiling just slightly, she balled her fist, before she swung, harder and faster than the last time.

“Yes I did.” Ronin claimed with a smirk “You have to be prepared.” Eyeing her as she desperately attempted to return to her initial position, Ronin stood loose and ready. With this next swing, he grasped her wrist once again, however, this time managing to land a hand on her arm and twisting it hard. After this, he ducked underneath her and flipped her so that she was over his shoulders, back towards the ceiling. “Weak.”

With a small cry, Ro buckled into the hold, eyes stinging at the sudden pain in her arm. Up and over, she deflated, almost visibly, face curtained by her hair as a pout found her lip, “I’m gonna die out there… What were they thinkin’... puttin’ an airhead like me out in the field.”

“If it makes you feel better, first mission I did I was seduced by a siren’s spell.” Ronin kept a fair grip on her as he sat down upon the mattress, tempted to lean back and crush her beneath him. However, he took the opportunity to lower her behind him, sitting up to allow her body to naturally spread out. Wiping his hands together, he glanced back at the young woman with a light grin. “No one came out of the womb to fight monsters. It takes time. Hence why I’m showing you.”

“A siren....? I mean, I guess it ain’t worse than a succubus…” Looking up at him, Ro frowned, flicking her hair back and tucking it behind her ears, “...Actually… I came outta the womb to a room full of women with Holy Water and crosses. Not that I remember it, but that’s the way they tell it.” Rubbing her shoulder, she grimaced slightly, “...What am I doin’ wrong? If I mess up out there, Ronin… if I fail like that… and someone gets hurt ‘cause of it? If I’d missed today… if I hadn’t gotten a lucky throw… you… you might not be here. I don’t wanna be put in that position.”

“I did too, Ro. Lot of crosses. Lot of nervous doctors. Mostly because my mother called me a demon baby.” Ronin winked at her, only to find himself sitting once again on the mattress with his feet crossed. “I wasn’t gonna die that easily, Ro. You really think a simple bitch like that could have ripped my heart out? I’m almost offended.” He placed his heart to his chest. “Look. I don’t ever mean to get into that sentimental bullshit, but you did do your job today. You just have to improve. We all do. I let myself get torn to pieces by that goddamn witch.”

“My aunt had a dream I was gonna come out wrong…” Ro admitted with a small shake of her head, “Grandma said it was just too many fritters the night before, but it didn’t stop ‘em from worryin’.” Rubbing her arm, she sighed softly, “And I worry, too. Too much. I… I don’t like it, Ronin. Feelin’ the way I do, all the time. But I dunno how not to. S’why I just… I wanna be good enough, you know? T’fight back.” Looking over at him, she looked to the spot on his cheek where the marks had faded all but from memory. Rising, she turned back to him, “Show me again.”

“It’s alright. My aunt used to have dreams that Friday the thirteenth was real and she fell in love with the guy in the ski mask. People dream some fucked up and meaningless shit.” Ronin thumped his head against the beds headboard, his eyes fluttering close. However, he was soon awoken by her request, grogginess having threatened to settle in. He slowly hopped to his feet. “Hit me again.”

“...But it’s not…” She frowned softly. It couldn’t all be meaningless. Not after… “My Uncle Bill. I watched him pick up a penny… an unlucky penny… just tryin’ to piss off my Aunt Miriam. She was real superstitious, and she begged him not to. Soon as the penny was in his hand, Ronin… he was hit by a truck. Scariest damn thing I seen… and I seen a lot…” Rubbing her forehead, she flinched at the memory… the horn, the scream… the sound of the impact…

Opening her eyes, stomach twisting into knots, she furled up her fists and without waiting, she swung.

“Hey, Ro, you can’t exactly let coincidences ruin your life. Shit happens.” He shrugged, bouncing on his heels as he examined her with a cautious eye. A smile graced his face, however, he was taken aback at the pain that exploded through his chest. As dull as it was, he knew that there was gonna be a bruise forming quite soon. Hopping back, he placed his hand over where she had struck. “Good.” Without informing her of his next move, he balled up his fist and attempted to strike towards her chest, not wishing to aim for her face or neck area. That hurt like a bitch, and it gave her more of an opportunity to strike.

He swung after she did, and something in her told her to move. Ducking to the side the way he had not too long ago, when he’d thrown her over his shoulder. Unfortunately, whatever plan she had went out the window, when the wealth of excitement built in her chest, and grabbing Ronin’s arm, she squeaked, “I did it!! I hit you!”

Ronin blinked as she squealed, grasping his arm and appearing to burst into a jovial excitement. Ronin stared at her wordlessly. “Not horrible, short stuff. Didn’t break any ribs but it is most certainly a start for you.”

Stepping back, Ro held up her hands again, her lip curved in a brilliant smile. Her fingers wiggled at him, as she squared off, slightly more defined, more cautious this time, “What’s the next step?”

“Try to block me and restrain or incapacitate me in anyway you see fit.” Ronin raised both his hands, clenching them into fists, before bouncing towards her and attempting to strike her once more in her chest.

The strike came more suddenly that she was prepared for, the mix of adrenaline and excitement depleting her focus. His fist connected, and hard, the air knocked from her lungs with the voracity of the punch. Doubling over with a strangled cry, Ro dropped to her hands and knees, a hand pressed to her ribs as tears sprang to her eyes, sucking in a wheeze that swiftly turned into a hiss of pain.

“Oh shit.” Ronin blinked as he retracted his own hand, bruised and pulsing with the pain that came with a full frontal punch. Eyes drifting down to his fallen friend, he slowly knelt beside her and placed his hand upon her stomach, slowly managing to straighten her. “Easy. Sorry...sorry. Heh. That was a dirty move, which, as many of your opponents will use, I shouldn’t have went full force. No more sparring today, I don’t think.”

Shaking her head, she reached to push away his hand, “N-no!” The tears burned hotter and she looked up at him, jaw tight, “I need to do this! I need to get better! If that happened out there, I’d be dead, Ronin! Or worse… one of y’all... Damn it all, I need to do this! I need to… I…” Burying her face in her hands, a small sob was muffled beneath her palms, shoulders quivering lightly.

Ronin froze, unsure of how to handle the situation at hand. He supposed he should have gotten lighter on her, and perhaps his harsh method hadn’t been the most appropriate. “Hey, we all get punched in the gut and can’t process what happens after. It’s happened to me quite a few times, especially on the account of me being an asshole. Just...take a deep breath, okay? You are never alone on a mission, so if you fuck up...well, I’ve told you this already, I’ve fucked up quite a bit. It’s a part of the job. You just have to get better with time. That’s the only problem I see with you magic users, you depend on the spells you’ve chosen. But it’s alright, you have time.”

Breathing in shakily, she lowered her hands, one falling to the agonizing pain in her torso, “...Time? What time? You could’ve died today, and don’t tell me you were fine! Cause I saw it, Ronin! I saw how close it was. If… if Roro hadn’t been there? Sadie couldn’t get a spell out and I… I just sat there! I…I’m so sorry…” With a shake of her head, flung herself forward, her arms looping around his shoulders.

“You really think I would have died? I’m offended.” He claimed lightly, head tilting as she continued to whimper her woes. And suddenly, he could feel her weight against his and he sighed lowly, patting the back of her head and humming with uncertainty. How in hell was he supposed to comfort her. “Honestly, having a healer like you really helps. And I’ll say, weapons training might help more. We will do it in the morning because it’s late. You are most likely exhausted and drained. Hitting you didn’t help.”

With a small sniff, an a weak wheeze of a dry laugh, she shook her head, “No, it really didn’t.” She didn’t release him. Not right away. It was a moment or two longer before her arms uncurled, and brushing her cheeks, she nodded, “Maybe you’re right… Probably just tired out. And hey, you had a long day, too. You should rest up.” Biting her cheek, she fiddled with her charm bracelet, sinking back onto the floor, “Y-you mean it, Ronin? ...About… about havin’ a healer? You don’t think I’m useless?”

“I’ll go to sleep once I make sure you ain’t freaking out about something that shouldn’t be putting your panties into a twist. You are tired. I should have considered how many times you’ve healed today.” Ronin played his hand over his forehead, sliding it lazily across his face. “What? You are the only one using the term useless. You are only useless if you make yourself so.”

Chuckling softly, she shrugged, lowering her hand from her bracelet, “Have… have ya met me, darlin’? I’m kinda always freakin’ out about somethin’... I mean. It’s kinda my M.O.” Pushing herself upright, she moved to the edge of her bed, and sinking down, grimaced, a hand to her stomach again, “...Maybe I ain’t useless, but… I dunno how useful I feel, either.” Bending down to slip off her shoes, she winced, frowning and straightening back up, “Okay. Ow. M-maybe next time, you wanna pull those punches a little, sugar?”

“I’m sorry again for hitting you so hard. Didn’t realize…” he swallowed, realizing that he couldn’t necessarily apologize for this. Shaking his head, he stood and tried to open the blankets for her to crawl under. “Er, um, do I need to get you some pain meds?”

Shifting, she carefully eased herself to the head of the bed, knocking her boots off by alternating feet instead. Slipping beneath the covers, she looked over at him, “Don’t apologize, Ronin. No need for that. Y-you only did what I told you to do, and m-maybe I need to wake up a little… to how much I need this. Besides… I took that punch pretty well, all things considered.” Reaching out, she poked his arm with a grin, “Can’t call me weak, no more. Gonna need to find another way to pretend you’re mean. Don’t think I need the meds… Maybe just… just don’t rush off till…” Biting her lip, she shrugged, “Still kinda there in my head… everythin’ that went down today.”

“You took it a lot better than most people would have.” He claimed, refusing to let a smile take over his stone cold demeanor. Leaning against the wall by her bed, he shrugged. “I can find a whole variety of names to call you, short stuff. It’s not that hard to pick and prod and pick and prod.” Eyes fluttering close, he slunk down against the wall and came down to sit. “I’m not sleeping in here, just to let you know. But I suppose it would be a dick move to leave you right now.”

“Pick and prod all you want…” She hummed softly, looking over at him with a small grin, “You know you’re impressed… and that’s good enough for me.” Idly, she gestured to the cozy, ramshackled armchair with the lavender blanket, “...Might as well be comfy, if you’re gonna stick around.”

“You did really damage my beautiful face.” Ronin claimed with a small frown, crossing his arms as he brought up his knees to his chest. “I don’t need any more of your cuteness. I’m fine where I am.”

“I said I was sorry… I do like that pretty face.” She mused with a teasing smile, before shaking her head, “Fine. Suit yourself… but when you lose during trainin’ tomorrow cause you got an awful crick in that tree-trunk neck of yours… I don’t wanna hear any whinin’, darlin’. Goodnight…”

“It’s not a tree trunk…” he grumbled, adjusting himself so he could deeply crease his head into the wall, eyes closing. “You’ll at least have a chance tomorrow, then. Good night, Europa.”

Magic touch. She didn't feel like she had any magic... despite what was, in fact, quite the opposite. Lucia hugged her and it was all she could do, not to break down in tears. They were okay. They were all going to be okay, yet every day they faced worse and worse, and every day she knew they tempted fate, pushed the boundaries beyond limitation. Someday, their luck would run out... and then would come the feelings of failure... of fear.

"You don't owe me anything, Sugar. I'm just glad I could help... But if you feel like it, you could just try not to get eaten too bad, next time y'all go out there..." Her eyes flickered between Lucia and Trigger, before shifting around the room to the other occupied beds. Most were being cared for to some degree, and Juniper seemed a little prickly at the moment - which would do no good for the feeling of discomfort already well and truly settled in the pit of her chest, so Ro gave Lucia a generous hug, before rising to her feet, "Gonna see if I can't help anywhere else. You try to get some rest, Lovely."

Aaquil, however, couldn't be prickly if he'd been transfigured into a cactus. Moving over to his bed, Ro sat down in the chair beside him, smiling softly, "...How you holdin' up, Bug?"

Steele, Juniper
On any given day Juniper would have rolled his eyes at what Ro said but he knew she was right. He'd probably end up bleeding out right then and there if he didn't do anything with his wound. So, in response, he lifted himself up and grabbed a town to press over the bloody cut. He had to lift the short sleeve of his shirt to press it down firmly which hurt causing him to grit his teeth and hiss. Something that would never leave Juniper's pink lips would be the fact that one thing he sucked at was health. Taking care of injuries just wasn't his thing and probably never would be. He'd never admit it, true to his stubborn self.
People's glances toward him did not go unnoticed which just continued to ruffle his feathers a tad bit. It's not like he wanted to be here right now, if it was any less severe he'd be in his room letting it heal naturally just to avoid all of... well this. He just sat back down and ignored lingering eyes. His shirt looked like it was originally designed to be one-third red. His eyes glanced down at the package of candy that had been softly dropped on his head, which was now in his lap. Had he controlled his temper a bit he would have realized it was his favorite candy. Kit Kats. Juniper practically had an obsession with kitkats. Not that he'd tell anyone that, except Hiroki who pretty much supplied them. It was an agreement they made a while ago, Juniper wouldn't be too much of an ass to Hiro and Hiro would give him Kit Kats in return while also not mentioning it to anyone.
Immediately after realizing what it was he used his teeth to open the package while letting go of the towel for a minute. Once it was open he broke off a stick and bit into it. He seemed to relax as his eyes lingered toward the wall that held literally nothing.

Mina Panja
Mina had been sitting on her knees for a while now while just kind of staring at nothing. Her breathing was very soft as her muscles felt extremely sore when she tried moving. She was having difficulty just focusing on one thing with all the chaos around her and with how tired she still was. Instead of going to bed like a smart person, which she was considered one oddly enough, she just sat there in silence. Mina's thoughts consumed her as guilt took over. All she wanted to do was be more helpful but she felt useless, especially on that mission. Normally she performed pretty well but it was just that mission. She probably hadn't realized her teeth nipping her lip subconsciously which was a habit her mother passed down to her. A flinch wracked her body as noise or some kind came from Selene's office; it only caused her sore muscles to ache more.

"Ow..." Her sweet voice muttered while returning back to being extremely still.

34308a93c73c223f61f3db756f86b0fa.jpg

The Alibi at the Liberty in Boston was about as classy as one could get for a hotel bar. The wood and brick facade presented an old fashioned warmth, dimly lit by industrial overheads, the grey tile floor and low hanging pipework and ducts soaking in sound and light, offering cozy resonance that belied the crowd mulling about. On the walls, pictures hung of notorious historical figures, ironic, considering what she was there for.

The world outside had been a dull contrast, blackened ash overhead holding moonlight hostage to torrents of rain that splattered the sidewalks and filled the stale summer air with the musky scent of ozone. Droplets fell from the sharp tip of her umbrella hanging over her arm, and clear blue eyes journeyed across the room, settling on a seat almost immediately. Red patent leather clicked across the floor and she smoothed out the skin tight pinstripe dress. It had taken her three weeks to learn how to master a Communication charm... It had taken twenty three years to master walking in six inch stilettos... Crossing her ankles on the lower beam of the barstool, she looked up as the bartender approached. He was a tall, darker skinned man with warm honey-toned eyes and a polite smile that ebbed away from the depths of his irises... A practiced, professional glimmer and little more.

"What can I getcha, darlin'?" He asked.

"Amaretto, on the rocks. Splash of milk, please." The notes of French were so subtle, now, driven away by so many years in England and Maine, but they clung to the edges of her speech, just barely noticeable, except to a trained ear. With the drink delivered a moment later, Mercedes turned on her stool to face the room.

Shawn’s thumbs fumbled with the tie laced around his neck. This had to have been right, yes? Surely! The bright maroon hue against the creamy white dress shirt surely would catch women’s attention! Yet, the gentle click of his heel against the floorboard sent timely waves of nausea throughout his body. Despite the warm, soothing atmosphere of the bar, accompanied by beautiful people waiting to serve, and beautiful people waiting to drink, Shawn felt anxiety crawl underneath his skin...his form stiffened as a confident smile creeped to his lips. He had this.

This was so simple to accomplish. He just knew it.

In fact, his shimmering, hazelnut trimmed eyes caught sight of a rather alluring woman. She was shorter than most, accompanied by generous heels and award winning dimples. Curly brown hair framed her features with a gentle appearance. Her dress, tighter than what Shawn would have ever let his eyes linger on for too long, reminded him of a confidence and the self esteem this woman must have had. This was it. This had to have been the one. Placing a warm, friendly smile, he slid next to her on a barstool, rolling his shoulders back and adjusting the pads in his suit in the process. “It’s on me, doll.” He masked his accent with that of an American, features softening with utter care.

He couldn’t afford to screw this one up.

Bingo.

It was almost painfully easy, but then, she had dressed for the occasion, so it ultimately made sense. As the man approached, Mercede’s lips curved, painted a deep plum that matched the lace undergarment just barely visible along the deep collar of her dress. It was a provocative look that she’d never be caught dead in, were it not for utter necessity. And luckily, it seemed, she wouldn’t need to sport it for very long…

Twisting slightly in her seat, she looked up at the figure, and her eyes shifted from the bright, deep red of his tie, to take in his features. He fit the bill, certainly - attractive, though more youthful than she’d anticipated, with a warmth in his gaze that a woman could get lost in and a lilt to his smile that she imagined was the final nail in the coffins of the poor souls he claimed...

Her lip twitched up at the corner, and, curls bouncing, she bobbed her head slightly, to the stool beside her own, her fingertip trailing the edge of her glass in a slow concentrated circuit, “Merci...Very kind of you…” She answered, before extending her free hand to the man, “...Sabine.”

“A lovely gift for a lovely lady. Sabine.” A gentle smile pulled at the corners of his lips, relaxation flooding him without effort. She truly was a beautiful woman, and for a moment Shawn struggled to see such a gift from God could have possibly ripped grown men’s bodies limb from limb. Yet he knew better from what Abraham had told him so long ago. The population that appears to be mundane has the higher chance of being monstrous. Pulling his wallet from the pocket of his blazer, he threw down his debit card, a dangerous twinkle in his eye. “A tab for me and the lady, thank you very much. Sabine…” a chuckle came to his lips, realizing this made him sound incredibly dorkish. “I’m Christian.”

As the tender took the card and swiped it, Mercedes attention flickered to the name scrawled across the bottom, difficult to read upside down… a company… Thorough. Her eyes returned to the man and she smiled faintly, a brow quirked at the small burst of uncharacteristic laughter, no doubt an intentional flaw to lend to the man's ruse, “Pleasure to meet you, Christian. Are you staying at the Liberty?”

“Oh, just for the night, darling.” Shawn claimed with a smooth voice, bobbing his appreciation towards the tender. “Thank you, brother, just a draft beer for me.” He inquired of him, surprised to find the accent coming along with ease. Drumming his fingers against the tabletop, he leaned back, a pleasant smile overtaking his features. “Figured it would be a nice place to lounge before I had to leave...I do audits around town. This one got cancelled, so...I'm heading to Charlotte in the morning. Figured I’d get a good night sleep. Maybe socialize before I had to go.”

Her smile twitched slightly higher, her eyes skimming the man briefly, as she leaned back against the bar, taking a slow sip of the Amaretto. There was a time when she hesitated to drink on a mission, but she had tempered herself to handle one or two - alcohol had a way of loosening lips and ethics, and while she never allowed herself to indulge, it put the targets at ease when she wasn’t being a stickler.

“Ah, Same. Just the night. I fly out from Logan tomorrow afternoon…” Crossing one leg over the other, she shrugged, “Kismet, then, running into each other, it seems…”

“Ah, you audit too?” Shawn questioned with somewhat of a smirk, catching the drink that was passed his way. Shawn hated beer with a burning passion, upsetting a majority of his family back in Ireland(Abraham would have kicked his arse straight to good old Kingdom Come if he figured that one out). “Well...I hope you don’t find the job as horrifically boring as I do. It’s nice though. Travel one place to another. Drink a little bit...meet the people of the area.” He brought the glass up to his lips, desperately keeping his face straight as he took a moderate sip of his beer.

A soft twitter of a laugh escaped Mercedes, and she nearly blushed at the sound, forgetting for a moment that the man before her was a dangerous, deadly foe… Damn, if he wasn’t at least a little disarming, “No, no. I’m an artist, actually. I was showcased in the city at a gallery over the weekend. I fly home tomorrow.” She pulled from her own glass, eyes shifting up to his again, “I’m inclined to agree, however, about traveling.” Tucking her hair back behind her ear, she set her glass down, “Though if I’m honest, meeting new people has never been a strong suit.”

“An artist, hmm? Ah, one who appreciates the sensitivity in life. Never been up my alley, but you know, it’s easy to get lost in the modern age and realize genuine art is right before your eyes.” A sly wink greeted the young woman, although his own heart pounded miserably in his chest. He didn’t want her to be the succubus in question. He genuinely did not want to see this woman on the ground with hellbound foxes at her feet. He took a larger sip of his beer, disguising a grimace with a chuckle. “New people bring the fun, you know? It’s a once in a lifetime experience. You never get to see them again, but you are grateful to have met them at least once.”

Damn. It was, for a moment, almost disappointing that this man was, in fact, the hellspawned product of rage and fury. For a second or two, Mercedes felt a twist in her stomach - a foreign flutter of warmth that she couldn’t quite identify, but needed no name for… He was too smooth, however, too charming, and if his initial greeting hadn’t sealed it, that, for sure, had convinced her.

Her eyes twisted from her glass to Christian, and her expression ebbed towards slightly sly, as she leaned her elbow on the counter, fingers curling into her hair, “...That’s an intriguing way to put it, I suppose. I’ve never really looked at it that way. And what sort of fun do you generally have with these one-in-a-lifetime strangers, Christian?” She asked, as she reached out her free hand to gingerly straighten the man’s tie.

Oh. God. Oh God. Shawn could feel his breath become lodged in his throat and unable to speak, he turned from her and swallowed. He couldn’t remember how the Americans spoke, now. He knew what she was suggesting. She was going to lure him into the bedroom, rip off his blazer and dress shirt...kiss down his chest...then eat him from the inside out. Shawn paled for a moment, swallowing and only able to claim. “W...well...w-what do you...what would you like...to do with a once in a lifetime stranger?”

The sudden stammer surprised her, and looking up, Mercede’s eyes narrowed slightly. But then, hell, if that wasn’t the perfect cover, she didn’t know what was. A man who seemed so confident, so… what did Gustavo always say? Smooth? But who nearly shook apart at the first sign of interest. Women would fall for it faster than Dominos in a hurricane. And tonight, she had to be one of those women… or she’d lose her only opportunity to nail this bastard.

Biting her lip, she gave a small, innocent shrug, “I don’t really know. You’re the expert, aren’t you?” Behind the bar, the tender, apparently distracted, dropped a tumbler, and as it clattered to the floor, Mercedes jumped slightly, frowning, “...Maybe we could discuss it somewhere a little quieter…?”

Shawn hesitated for a brief moment. The succubus was certainly good at appearing human. Biting his lip, he decided to use his anxiety to his advantage and gently placed his hand over hers. Glancing sideways at the bartender, Shawn nodded and took a final sip of his drink.Oh God. He prayed this wouldn’t be the last thing to ever enter his stomach. “My room is pretty cozy, if you’d like.”

His room... Not exactly ideal, but she was prepared. The dress she wore may have been scandalously tight, but there was just enough room to conceal what she needed… And the quicker this was over with, the sooner she could wash the nightmare off in the shower and get back home. Rising, steady on her heels, she gave a nod of her head towards the open atrium, “Lead the way…”

Shawn was beyond nervous. Squeezing her hand, he hid the tremors in his own and led her out into the open atrium. Details blurred and became muddled in the aspect of the kill. He was going to hate this. He hated this immensely. Swallowing down his nerve, he lead her to the stairwell and kept a sweet grip on her hand.

Her heart did not pound and nerves did not threaten her calm… Mercedes knew what was coming, and despite the fact that she never relished in a kill, she had no anxiety about it. The man would, were he able, rip her to shreds and leave her an empty shell for a hotel maid to find the following morning… There would be no guilt or suffering at dispatching him. No… And because she did not plan to allow him to get his hooks in, there would be nothing else to worry over, either…

Tension was tight, regardless, and no doubt because he was all too eager to shed his human form and devour… but the walk to his room was brief and as he slid his card into the lock, Mercedes only smiled with what she hoped was an enthusiastic glimmer. Stepping inside the dimly lit space, she waited for the click of the door before turning to face him, brow raised just so, hand balanced on the curve of her hip.

The hotel room was similar to her own, with a small vestibule for a coffee pot and mini fridge filled with expensive bottles of liquor. Opposite this, was the bathroom - a walk in shower, vanity sink and complementary towels and toiletries. A short walk from the door was the bed - queen sized, flanked by two nightstands. A flat screen hung above the entertainment center, and beside this a desk with a phone and complementary office supplies. Everything was grays and soft blues and pristine white, warm, luxurious and expensive… “...Nice place…” She remarked, “Very cozy.”

Shawn felt no comfort flooding over him as he entered the room. He wasn’t sure how he got lucky with this gig. He didn’t work with guilds often, but when he did, it was often a spectacle. He just wished he could have stayed in his homestead. Dublin sounded wonderful. Gesturing to the bed, he offered a gentle smile. He wouldn’t let this woman tear him to shreds, drain him of his life...he wouldn’t let Gus have the final laugh on his demise. “I think it’ll serve us well. Please. Make yourself at home…”

Turning around, her eyes skimmed the bed, and while a smile found her lips, it missed her eyes. Casually, she turned back to Christian, and approached, brushed her fingertips along his tie again, “You know… I don't normally do this sort of thing…” Her free hand moved imperceptibly, and from beneath the hem of her skirt, she felt for the handle of the knife strapped to her thigh. Tugging it free, she brought it up swiftly, angled to the man's throat, “But killing an Incubus I'm very familiar with…”

“Er, you get used to it after-“ Shawn started as her fingers tempted his necktie, a blush threatening to grow against his flustered skin. However, the next moment a flash of metal crossed his eye, and he soon found a knife placed to his throat. Eyes widened and horrified, he placed his hands up in surrender. He let his facade go and exclaimed. “Oi! I ain’t no incubus lass! My God! I fear ye maybe a succubus! Then you go around and scare a grown man like this!” Swallowing, he squeezed his eyes shut. “I be no monster lass.”

Blinking, momentarily thrown both by the sudden shift in his accent and his demeanor, as well as by the claim that he thought she was a... of all things… a succubus, Mercedes waivered briefly, just long enough to loosen her grip, “...A moment ago, you were also an American Auditor. And that act down in the bar? Pretending to be shy and unnerved? You’re good, but you’re not that good…”

“It’s because I was shy and unnerved! Hadn’t had a woman touch me like that ever!” Shawn exclaimed, gaining a bit of a catch on his breath as her grip appeared to loosen. His head threatened to hang. “Look, lass, I believe we both be monster hunters. Guild number lass?”

“....You expect me to believe…” But then, it had been such an unsubtle shift. The only reason she hadn’t outright suspected a lie was because she was… ultimately… expecting a lie, anyway. That the lie was his confidence seemed unlikely, but stranger things had happened, “...Two-four-three? You’re either lying through your teeth, or your guild is out of their minds… Sending you after a Succubus? She would have eaten you alive before you’d made it to your hotel room.” Apprehensively, the knife lowered slightly, “...Who are you, really?”

“Jackman?” He questioned, not having memorized the numbers for the guilds except for the Maine location and his temporary guild. Swallowing anxiously, he took a step back from her knife. “Well excuse me, princess.” He growled lowly, a moment of offense taken across his features. He couldn’t help but be nervous. He knew what to do. He had holy water in a small vial. He had his spell book. He should be fine… “My name is Shawn O'Connell. Guild Two-five-six. Temporary guild. I’m a lone hunter, for the most part. Occasionally am with guild one-four-Two. Dublin.”

Her eyes fixed on his, searching for any indication of a lie. But decidedly, he could have already overpowered her, or at least tried to… and given he hadn't, “Mercedes… And Jackman, yes.”

Tucking the knife back into the sheath below her dress, she swore softly, “Means that bastard is still down there… and he'll have seen me leave with… Damn.” Running her fingers through her curls, she contemplated the available options, “Unless… unless we can bait him from here.”

“Are we even sure it’s an incubus?” Shawn drawled out his question, folding his arms with an inquisitive peer. “My guild informed me it was a succubus running amuck. We don’t even know what our monster looks like...running in damn circles…” Shawn frowned, mentally kicking himself for so openly accusing a woman first hand of being a succubus. That was rather rude and foolish of him. He bit his lip. The confessional would need a good visit later.

“Of course I'm sure. We've got it on good authority… and he's been here at least a week or two… Two dead prostitutes and a maid. All… well, you can imagine, I'm sure.” Tugging the knife free again, she crossed the room, to the bed and tossed it on the side, before bending down to unlatch her heels, “You prepared to do what's necessary, Shawn? To bring down this beast?”

“W-Wait…what about the two business men that have gone missing the last few weeks? Think that’s just the prostitutes actin out?” Shawn’s head tilted. Confusion flooded through him, she spoke as if he had never hunted a day before in his life. Minus the Fae incident, Shawn was rather good at the job.

For the most part.

“Well I ain’t gonna ask for it’s phone number!”

“Two business men disappearing from a fancy hotel in Boston Harbor? Hm. Not too difficult to think up another scenario...” Eyes shifting to his again, she shook her head, “I was referring to the bait. Incubus are drawn to sexual energy… We need to bring him to us.”

“Bait? Are you suggesting we…” Shawn lost all color upon his cheeks, swallowing hard. Oh God. No. No no no. How did he know this wasn’t just a ruse for her to get on top of him and rip out his throat? “I usually buy dinner before I freak out about this sort of thing.”

Looking over at him, Mercedes expression shifted and the first genuine smile she'd shown that night filled her eyes, “I hardly think we'll have time, darling. That's not to diminish your charm… but there are monsters to slay.”. From the same sheath that had held the knife, Mercedes produced a thin pen, popping the cap, “It's largely speculated that both variants, Incubus and Succubus work off a level of telepathy… A connection from your mind, to theirs. It's thought, in some theories, anyway, that this is why they're able to manipulate your mind so effectively. If I can open a mental channel of sorts… A streamline connection to my mind, we may just be able to entice our clever he-demon to pay us a visit. But… he won't come if there's nothing to draw him.” As she started to work the pen along the pale skin of her forearm, she looked up at him again, “I'm not asking you to sleep with me, Shawn. Just asking you to pretend you want to…” Twisting slightly, she turned her back to him, “Unzip me?”

“Um...if we weren’t in a crazy arse situation involving sex demons and a lot of nerve, it wouldn’t be pretend.” Chuckling, Shawn teased the young woman and stared wordlessly at the zipper. Oh God. Oh God. God forgive him! This action caused his entire hand to start trembling and he slowly began to unzip her dress. “Whatcha doing there lass?”

A brow quirked, and her lip twitched higher as she shook her head, “Well… that’s a lovely complement, and were the situation less complicated, I imagine I might actually share the sentiment.” She continued to work on her forearm as he eased the zipper down. Beneath the dress, she wore a deep purple slip, lace and silk. Looking back over her shoulder at him, she laughed softly, “...Are you shaking? Oh darling… you really don’t do this often, do you?” Eyes shifting back to her arm, she shrugged, “It’s the Communication Rune… I’d carve with a knife, but that seems a bit rudimentary… not to mention edgy… and blood rarely makes for anything useable.”

“You are just saying that.” Shawn grumbled, fumbling with the zipper until she revealed to him her purple undergarments, swallowing as he respectfully glanced down to the fuzzy carpet beneath his toes. Slowly, he began to unbutton his blazer and managed a weak chuckle. “I’ve never done this, lass. I was hoping’ I wasn’t gonna try this until I found a good lass.” Head tilting, he rolled his eyes. “I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

As she finished the rune, she tucked the pen back into the holster, and looked up at him with a small chuckle, “I’m not just saying that, actually. Which is odd, all things considered… Dear Lord. I would find the one decent man left in Ireland, under the worst possible circumstances…” Turning around as she slipped the dress to the ground and stepped out of it. Her expression softened and reaching up to help unknot his tie, staring at the bright red fabric, she shook her head, “...You’re still not ‘doing this’, Shawn. It’s all pretense… just to lure him here.” Pulling the tie free, she looked up to meet his eyes, “...You gonna be alright?”

“Oi! I ain’t the only decent lad! We Irish got good to blood, don’t mind the salty poems or the increasing lust for beer.” He stuck out his tongue. “Of which I detest both.” Swallowing, his eyes peered back up, skimming along the slip and refusing to keep his eyes locked on her. Rather, he met her own eyes and desperately attempted to keep a smile on his face. He needed a good jovial tune to keep the symbol on his chest working. “Aye, I am. You?” Placing a hand on her cheek, he leaned down and briefly planted a kiss on her cheek before using his free hand to unbutton his dress shirt. He was going to feel mighty embarrassed for the pale, milky skin underneath. He was a scrawny man, and it didn’t particularly help as he feared she could possibly overpower him.

“You should know… I’m French. We have an increasingly egotistical view that we are the best country on the planet. I’m fairly certain it’s in our genetic code.” Surprise registered for a moment, as his lips brushed her cheek and color filtered into the pale notes of her skin, bringing out the many freckles. Smiling faintly, she nodded, “...I’ll manage…” And gingerly, she brushed his hands away from the buttons, deft fingers taking over.

“Oi, we across the way. We hear ya chatter night after night with puffs of cigarette smoke.” Grinning, Shawn felt his nervousness melt nearly completely from his form. This changed, however, as her hands moved to remove the shirt from his torso. “This hot enough for a pervert arse succubus?”

“Oh…” Looking up, Mercedes cracked a small grin, “It’s such a shame you haven’t been to France since the nineteen-fifties.” Then again, she hadn’t been there in a great deal of time, either. Reaching up with one hand, she tapped a fingertip to the end of his nose, “Smoking is hazardous to your health, now.” Looking to the rune on her arm, she gave a small chuckle and a shake of her head, “...Incubus.” She corrected teasingly, before brushing the now dried ink marking, to activate the rune, “...And not quite…”

Gently gripping his shoulders, she backed his knees into the mattress, before dropping down onto his lap, legs straddling either side of his hips. Her arms curved, fingers curling into his hair and with an apologetic smirk and a shrug, she leaned in, crushing her mouth to his.

Shawn planned to make a remark, only to be pushed to his bed and be grasped by his hips. Oh...God...no… Shawn’s eyes went wide and a gentle “Mmph!” Emitted from his lips as hers crashed into his. Clumsily he clutched the back of her slip, another hand lucidly burying itself into her mane of hair. Oh, what the hell was he supposed to do? He tried to kiss her back, nerves building in his stomach.

It wasn’t necessarily the worst experience Sadie had been through on a mission… She could certainly think of several with significantly less appeal, but it was difficult to enjoy the moment, when she knew effectively, what was coming from it. Shawn’s effort wasn’t ignored, for what it was worth, even despite his anxiety, which she could feel in the pounding of his heart against her own…

There was a sudden weight.. A pressure in her skull and pulling back, Sadie swore softly as a sharp pain entered her temple. Fingers pinned to her head, she braced herself on Shawn’s shoulder, and as the connection resonated, her eyes squeezed shut, “...Oh… Oh no. No, no, no…” Opening her eyes, she met his gaze, “Shawn. There’s two…”

Shawn didn’t know how to process any of the physical or mental swirls or feeling and emotion, his whole body tensing as she collided into his shoulder. “Two?!” Shawn exclaimed, gently pushing her off of him so he could get a good look at her. “Are they near?”

The pain rolled through her head again, and with a breath, she severed the connection swiftly, nodding, “...Two. And very near… We may have a hell of a fight on our hands.” Swinging her legs over his lap, she reached for the knife she’d left of the side of the mattress, before rising to her feet, “I’ve got your back, if you need to prepare anything… And Shawn?” Looking over at him, she offered a dry, weary smile, “Just in case I die… You really ought to give yourself more credit. You’re not half bad at all this.”

“Shite.” Shawn grumbled under his breath, scrambling haphazardly for his blazer. He had kept his chalk, spell book, and paprika in there for good measure. What could he say? His demonic fox buddy appeared to have an affection for the spice. “You ain’t gonna die lass, I’m a professional.” He vowed with a grin, buttoning up his shirt before getting to his knees and drawing an intricate design into the sheet of the mattress. “Ah, shut it lass. I don’t exactly need the encouragement...but hey, thanks at least if this be me last breath.” He sprinkled some of the spice onto the bed and began to hum the incantation, clasping his hands together in concentration.

“You’re not going to die, either… And I wasn't referring to the monster hunting.” Sadie noted, with a small chuckle before she turned to the door. Her expression sobered as her fingers curled tighter around the handle of the knife, her focus tuned to who or what might at any point come through, “...Here we go…”

As she spoke, there was a sound outside the door… The beep of a card in the reader. An employee. Of course… it made sense. It made all the sense in the world. The handle clicked and slowly, the door began to swing open.

Readying the knife, Mercedes waited until the figure appeared on the other side… tall and dark, silhouetted by the light in the hallway. The bartender. She recognized his stature, almost immediately, his height, his build. The rich mahogany gaze flashed through her mind, the empty smile… Behind him a blonde, busty and thin, with sharp features and brightly lacquered lips.

Without hesitating, Mercedes flung the blade and the man cried out as it burrowed deeply into his chest.

Shawn’s barely had time to pop his head up from his incantation with the cry of the man, just in time to see that the man at the bar was standing in the doorway, clearly ready to take down the two horny lovers in the hotel room. Clearly, a horror story scenario if Shawn ever saw one. (Never have sex! Never ever! You gonna die!). Yet, with one last word, Shawn was able to summon a creature from his ritual circle. In a bright array of bright red chalk,a figure began to morph from the sheets. A gentle, pink nose pierced through the mattress and crawled into being, it’s fuzzy, short ears flickering back as it stared with wide eyes to its master. The baby fox’s purple tongue spooled from its mouth, a gentle wag to its bright orange tail.

“...That ain’t Mulder.” He breathed, panic settling into his stomach as the small creatures bounded and attempted to throw itself at the monsters feet. However, it bounded back briefly after a moment and Shawn’s head flickered over to Sadie. “Nice knowin ya lass.”

She almost laughed at Shawn’s reaction to the miniature… whatever it was… that came from his summoning, and at any other time, really, it would have been amusing. In truth, if they survived, no doubt, they’d laugh about it. But in the moment it was terrifying. One hellspawn was enough, but two? This was the double date of nightmares, for sure…

The man staggered further into the room, and as he did, he appearance shifted, swifty, like a mask peeled away, claws and horns, and thick, leathery wings sprouting from the once attractive facade of the bartender. He ripped the knife from his chest with a guttural growl and tossed it across the hotel room, and swinging out a clawed hand, caught Mercedes as she stumbled back from his grip. Claws raked her bicep, and Sadie tumbled back to the foot of the bed with a small cry of pain.

As she fell, her stilettos came into view, and with a small smirk, she grabbed both of the shoes. The Incubus had continued towards her, and Sadie swung one shoe as she spun around, burrowing the six-inch heel into the soft edge just above his kneecap, her legs folded beneath her and she dug her toes into the carpet, vaulting up onto her feet. The second shoe skimmed the sallow skin of his cheek and as he staggered back from the hit, Mercedes pushed away from the creature, retrieving her pen from where it was tucked beneath her slip.

Shawn’s instinct the moment a hellspawn sexy man from hell came bolting into the room was to start a rather simple spell, one that would save Mercedes quite a bit of grief. Plucking the buttons from the end of his blazer, he began to chant as his free hand grasped for the pen shoved deep within his back pocket. In a matter of seconds, a gleaming, nearly invisible shield formed around the young woman, blocking her from a strong range of attacks. Swallowing, Shawn raced up towards the incubus to attempt to wrap his arms around the man’s arms, only to be swept aside by the succubus’s large wings, sprouting from her back in a matter of seconds. She had long, honeydew locks that curled gently to frame her slightly rounded cheeks. Digging her claws into Shawn’s shoulders, she attempted to lock her cherry red lips with his. However, Shawn knew better, ducking out of the way and rolling beneath her spreaded legs before she could bury her nails deeply into his back.

“Oi! Lass, you see that?”

Meanwhile, the young hellbound bounded in front of Mercedes and Shawn, stretching back onto its back heels before releasing a loud, deadly yawn. Flurries of fire erupted at the fox’s jaws. With a near smirk, the fox bared its fangs and spat continuous spirals of flames, licking at the victims hooves. The succubus managed to roll out of major harm’s way, while the incubus suffered slightly more burns.

“I did, darling!” Sadie called back to Shawn as a smile formed, in spite of their circumstances, “Very nice! Oh, no you don’t!” The Incubus, still singed from the mini-fox’s flaming assault had turned towards her, a misty look in his gaze. Smoke rose from the flames and obscured whatever tomfoolery he might’ve tried, and instead, the creature twisted, hard and fast, swinging a clawed fist Shawn’s way this time.

The Succubus, meanwhile, had recovered from Shawn’s swift reaction and turned to Sadie, and her timing could not have been more perfect. The circle was completed on her forearm, and a bright flash erupted. As the Succubus stumbled back from the blaze of light, she reached for the lamp on the desk beside her and hurled it at the wicked woman.

Shawn was taken aback by the claw that struck him in his torso, sending him onto his back in a skidding thud. Groaning, he glanced upwards and noticed that the succubus landed beside him after a lamp struck her in the center of her temple. Leaning forward, Shawn raised his fist and struck her across the cheek, wrapping his arms firmly around her wings and pulling her back into him. However, she shrugged him off of her as if he was nothing, swiftly turning on her heel and grasping his cheeks in her claws. “H-help...la…” Silenced by the sudden crash of lips against his, Shawn’s eyes fluttered closed and he found all thoughts had become muddled. Whatever she wanted now, he wanted too.

The small hellbound fox was not having this foolishness with his summoner, racing towards the succubus and burying its teeth deep within her arm. Piercing the skin, a small flame erupted around its incisors, scorching the demon’s scaly flesh.

Sadie’s attention swung towards Shawn as the Succubus grabbed ahold of him, and anger flared deep within her chest. But as she started forward, so too did the Incubus. With a lunge, he smacked into the shield, swinging hard and fast at it as he growled furiously. Backing up, Sadie knocked something with her foot, and swearing, she bent down to grab the knife that the Incubus had discarded, straightening with a savage swipe towards the hellion. The first swing met the leather of the Incubus’s wings, but the second one, she burrowed deep into his ribcage, with a growl of her own.

“Shawn! Snap the hell out of it!”

The succubus tossed the small hellbound creature out of the way without effort, retracing her efforts onto the young man within her grasp. His daze was glazed over with affection and confusion. Pressing her claw underneath his chin, she pressed her lips to his once again, nibbling harshly against his flesh with each repetition of the movement. Catching her breath, the succubus glanced down at her starry eyed victim, his cheeks pale and devoid of healthy color. The succubus bounded for another kiss, but the young man’s eyes brightened with acknowledgment as pain coursed through his entire body.

“Fuck me!” Shawn exclaimed, scampering back with a whimper. Oi...he felt rather dizzy now, but he knew he wasn’t out for the count just yet. The fox attempted to sink its teeth once more into the succubus’ back, but with a simple flicker of her wings, was thrown back to the other side of the room.

Muttering softly, an angry spout of rapid French, Mercedes grabbed the pen free again, and knelt down, her forearm across her lap as she drew along her skin.

The Incubus, furiously clawing at the blade plunged into his stomach with one had, slammed the other into the shield again, but Sadie did not look up, even as she knew it had taken damage. It would not last forever, but she only needed a few minutes… just a few… With the rune drawn, she looked up to Shawn and activated it towards the Irish man, before kicking her bare foot towards the Incubus, who stumbled back away from her.

Shawn panted as the succubus crawled towards him, reptilian tail swinging behind her. Two strikes caming pummeling to her sweet demeanor, a brief moment of guilt paralyzing him. However, one strike seemed to draw blood from her nose, the small stream cascading past her lip. Baring her teeth in a snarl, the woman lunged towards Shawn, burying both set of claws deeply into his torso. Ripping downwards towards his stomach, Shawn attempted to bite down a yelp of utter agony, reaching blindly with his knee to try and rip her off of him. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the young fox attempt to grasp the man by his leg, tiny, sharp fangs bared. However, the fox appeared to misjudge its movement, missing the man by a few inches. “Come on! Help me out lass!”

“Confounded miniature dog…” Mercedes muttered under her breath, before she grabbed the metal ring from her thumb and slammed it down on the floor, an incantation spoke softly. As it had around her moments before, the invisible cloak-like protection formed around Shawn, mere seconds before the Incubus beat down on her own shield again. One hit… then a second more forceful. She felt the shift, the shattering… and the claws that burrowed into his shoulder, forcing a cry from her throat.

“It ain’t me Mulder!” Shawn exclaimed, panic clamping his throat shut. Attempting to throw the succubus off him was much harder than anticipated, his strikes intercepted with a flattened palm each time Clutching both of his hands in her grip, a devious smirk consumed the edges of her demeanor. However, a shimmer fluttered over Shawn, dividing him and the woman. Despite her attempted hits against the shield, it refused to budge. Oh, oh thank God. Shawn was able to catch his breath and calm himself, eyes once again averted to the fox as it finally managed to grab onto the incubus’ vulnerable arm. Fire once again ignited within its jaw, but its next movement was brushed aside as it attempted to slam into the creature’s leg.

As the claws released, the Incubus tumbling back, Sadie reached up to grab her shoulder, hand coming away slick. Her fingers reached for the runes on her forearm, but the demon had recovered too swiftly, and while she managed to propel herself back away from his first slash, the second swing caught her off guard. Dagger like nails jammed into her back and Sadie was thrown towards the desk, smacking hard into the panel of drawers. She pushed up against the agonizing pain in her left side, and her hand clawed, grabbed for something to throw. A stapler… Missed. A jar of pens… Just past the creature. Another string of French spilled from her lips.

Shawn didn’t dare glance over at Mercedes as noise jumbled from across the room. God...their arses were gonna be fucking sore in the morning and Shawn didn’t want to have to explain his defeat to a succubus to Gustavo anytime soon. No no. The humiliation would not end. First the fucking Fae...then...then...a shudder crawled up his back. Raising his fist, he managed to clock the succubus across the jaw before she slammed mercilessly into the shield. Heaving heavily, Shawn bit down harshly into his lip, trying to crawl away from the mess that had been created.

The fox, seeing its master in trouble, once again leaned back into his hind legs and opened its mouth wide, exposing newly formed fangs that glistened with a slim, oily substance. Soon, fire ignited once more and several streaks were spat at the incubus and succubus, but they were too swift to receive the full brunt of the damage. However, Shawn had been too slow to duck out of the way, his shield shattering and flesh scolding with new burns. “F-fuck...lass…”

Vaulting towards her, the Incubus slashed, and buckling back, Mercedes kicked the desk chair in the way. It was a short lived grace. The chair slammed into the wall a moment later and the creature slammed into her, it’s claws digging into her side. Gritting her teeth, Mercedes brushed the rune on her arm, her eyes shifting to Shawn… With the rune activated, she shoved, weakly against the creature, to no avail.

Shawn felt warmth creep into his body, the burns subsiding as quickly as they had bubbled to his bruised skin. Eyes fluttering and peace invading him once again, he tried to strike the succubus. She avoided the hit with a wild gaze in her eyes. Shawn knew that if he didn’t protect himself now, he and Sadie were going to be eaten alive. Plucking a pen cap from his coat, he muttered a quick prayer and smiled at the little shimmer flowing between the two hunters. The succubus could barely scrape her monstrous nails against the magical material.

The fox’s little, yellow eyes glided from the woman to the beast, its small heart giving it a massive courage to bound onto the bed, hopping once against the mattress, then again, then once again to give it plenty of leverage...It lunged towards the beast’s countenance, dragging its fangs along the beasts nose, squeezing hard and long and bathing in the satisfaction that came with the flames smoldering against the creature’s skin. Releasing it’s target, the fox proceeded to cave its own skull into the beast, sending it firmly to the ground with a dull thud. The fox fumbled briefly, managing to catch itself on the incubus’s now still form. It poked at its neck, dragging its claws along its flesh to make sure the incubus was dead.

Weight shifted suddenly, and she felt relief as claws released from her side, the Incubus dropping from the sudden assault by the little pup, dropping and lying still… unmoving. Dead. Collapsing back against the desk with a small shudder of relief, Mercedes turned her eyes to the succubus and raising a trembling hand, touched her fingers to the light rune again. Another flare, brighter this time, burst free, stunning the creature, as Mercedes struggled to hurl another object, a notepad that had fallen off the desk. Her throw fell short… missing by a mile, her arm dropping limp to her side, heart smacking against her ribs in protest…

Shawn scrambled back from the succubus at hand, able to struggle back to his feet and feel the earth wobble beneath him. Noticing that the incubus was dead, relief flooded through him and he attempted to tackle the succubus to the ground. He missed her as she feint to the side, his body slumping to the ground with a pathetic thud. She hopped onto his back in rage, straddling his hips before taking her long, blood caked nails into his back. Shawn bit down into the carpet to keep a scream from emitting. The pressure was lifted, however, as the fox triumphant and proud tackled into the succubus, removing her weight from Shawn’s body. Peeking his head from the ground with a glob of blood escaping the corner of his lip, he noticed that the succubus’ eyes dimmed.

Everything hurt… like her nerves had been set on fire. Every movement sent a shockwave of agony through her left side, but she could not… would not leave Shawn to such a horrible fate. Forcing her eyes open, she looked to where the Incubus lay, eyes glazed and empty, and reaching out a quaking hand, she grabbed for the knife sticking from his midsection. As the fox launching clear, Sadie pushed herself upright, and with what strength remained in her, she threw herself at the succubus, grateful the demon was too preoccupied to notice her movement. The knife raised, Sadie brought it down, hard, burying it to the hilt in the back of the creature's neck.

With a grimace, she dropped to her knees again, hand to her side as tremors stole over her. Collapsing entirely, she brushed her thumb across the symbol on her forearm one more time, eyes focused on Shawn.

Shawn propped himself to his hands and took heavy, labored breaths. He expected sharp daggers to overcome his form, to have his throat slit and allow blood to flow down his chest. However, a gentle thump broke him out of his spell of fear, his head swinging back to see Mercedes successfully slaying the beast. “T-that...that was close.”

Breathing out, a small, desperate chuckle, Sadie nodded, “N-no kidding. Y-you definitely owe me dinner, now. C-can you move? Haven't… haven't got a lot left in me, b-but I can make a doorway. N-need your help…”

“I can move.” Shawn mumbled, holding himself up to his knees before propping himself upwards. Placing his hand to his temple, he pierced his bottom lip with his teeth. He stumbled to his feet, much like a depressed drunkard desperate to sing his woes. “I...I can help...shite we need to get healed…”

“Just…” Arms quivering like a newborn calf, Sadie tried to push herself upward, weight focused on her right side, “Just help me up… And then I'll need… something to write with.. Chalk…”

“I got chalk.” Shawn vowed, hobbling over to her with his arm wrapped firmly around his waist. Bile was building up in the back of his throat and he feared the worst if they didn’t draw a symbol fast enough. Making his way to his circle for the fox, he retrieved the chalk from the sheets and approached her, one arm placed around her waist to keep her upwards. “Quickly now lass.”

Raising her left arm as she took the chalk, she grimaced, sucking in a sharp breath. Blood slick fingers curved tightly, and her right arm raised to brace the opposite wrist. Squeezing her eyes shut, she leaned into Shawn with a shudder, “O-one second…”

Arching her arm upwards, jaw clenched against the pain, she drew the rectangular shape along the wall of the hotel room, before tugging a second ring from her index finger, pressing it to the center of the shape. As light flooded the room, the doorway opening, Sadie's knees buckled.

“Good job, lass. Good…” Shawn encouraged softly, his grip remaining as firm as iron as she drew their escape. Shawn didn’t realize that the events would escalate so quickly, nor did he figure that he’d be drenched in his own blood. In succubus blood. Grimacing, Shawn readjusted her weight onto his torso and pushed them forward into the light, warmth encasing him like an old friend.

Last edited:
Shawn O'Connell

Shawn's eyes were heavy and labored, sealed shut by a merciless red that plagued his pupils. Exhaustion. Grief, one way or another. Surely, it had to have been the energy it took from Gustavo's rescue. Their night was supposed to be rather quiet, anyway. Shawn supposed he shouldn't have blamed the young man, they did excuse themselves for some drinks in Jackman. While it was a quiet town, abandoned and tranquil(if not Stephen Kingish). However, Shawn's gaze averted briefly to rest his head against the bar counter, brain pounding and pulsating with a familiar pain that lingered in his head after one drink too many(that being one.). Gustavo had struck up a conversation, maybe two. Shawn couldn't remember. He shouldn't have agreed to gone out, although, he was relieved to know that his friend was safe and returned. Shawn wasn't sure how he bundled the larger man into his arms. It happened as it should, his trusty companion Mulder appearing at the right time, striking in the right place. His knuckles striking in the right part of the jaw, her form crumbling and handled with little fuss. Yet, something churned within his stomach. Guilt, perhaps? He knew he had gotten Gus to safety, back to the infirmary with little incident. Shawn didn't even have a scratch on his skin.

Then why in hell did he feel so sick? He knew he had to go do something while Gustavo was in the infirmary, but the moment his eyes traced past the hallway his mind became distant. Blinking, the pads of his fingers skimmed the walls and tucked the weight of his hand onto them. What the hell did he come out for? Curse his scattered brain! Shawn brushed his hair from his eyes, surprised to feel a singular trail of hot liquid running down his cheek.

Sadness. It's okay. Shawn. It's okay.

Shawn's brow furrowed and he realized that he was saddened the damage brought about his friend. He...he left him. Even momentarily. To do something he couldn't even remember. Raking the back of his hands towards his cheek, Shawn glanced upwards at the increase of hunters that came back from their endeavors. At...at least everyone else was okay. Even if the circumstances were bizarre. Swallowing, he spun on his heel and trudged back towards the infirmary curtain. The sands of slumber encased his eyelashes with crusty, miserable particles that threatened to cascade into his vulnerable eye. With a stray hand, he parted open the gates towards an increasingly crowded infirmary. Shawn would have to be quick, he knew, or Ricardo may have to guide him out himself. As much as Shawn loved that man, he did not want to have to handle the stern lecture of giving patients room to breathe. Again.

"Gustavo." Shawn greeted with an insecure grin, lips perking up instantly at the sight of his friend beyond the sea of injured folk. He heard a low whistle emit from a Grayson Williams, who had curled his fists and pressed them firmly to his lips to exaggerate the cat-call call. Shawn rolled his eyes, yet found a bizarre comfort in the oddity that was Grayson.

Thank you. You always make me smile, Grayson.

And indeed, Shawn managed a genuine smile, hobbling to the side of his friend's bunk. A familiar chunk of curls nearly obstructed his vision, but for the moment it wasn't his concern. "You are an arse, lad." Shawn claimed with a thin smile, eyes flickering to the remaining folks within the infirmary. Ricardo had hobbled over to Juniper now, the job appearing to be taxing upon the young man. Adjusting his dark shades, Ricardo finished mumbling a prayer, head directed towards the voice of his own sister. Shawn frowned. He had a feeling Ricardo and Lucia were going to spend some time before going to bed. He didn't blame them. The wendigo seemed to be something of a little piece of shit.

"Can't believe you saw a little lady and went out of sight. Real idiot." Shaking his head, Shawn ran his thumb underneath his eye.

Oi. Be nice for once. Gustavo is a good friend, after all...

Trigger | Interactions: Ro @Elle Joyner & Lucia @KatSea | Location: Infirmary

Trigger, once again, didn't say much, but her dull gaze spoke volumes. She watched as Ro healed Lucy, a majority of the color returning to her kid's cheeks. She wanted to heave a stealthy sigh, but the relief overwhelmed her and her breath might as well have been a gust of wind ripping through the infirmary. Brushing the curls from her eyes and leaning forward, she merely hummed in reply to Lucy and tilted her head forward ever so slightly, pressing another kiss to her crown. "Had no doubts that Ro's magic touch wouldn't pull through, lass," she said. Actually... yes, she had that small moment of doubt, but it was fleeting and crushed under the heel of logic. She knew of Ro's capabilities, of how good she was at her job. Hell, even more than that--how deeply the woman's care ran for everyone. Her well of love could be equated to a bottomless pit. Trigger could say this for plenty of members.

"Silly Billy..." Trigger muttered, some amusement pulling at her lips. However, she wasn't distracted enough to forget her gratefulness and she nodded towards Ro. "Thank you, lass... I know you'll turn it down, but I owe ya one as well. Remember it." If she ever forgot, it was fine. Trigger would never forget. Once the woman left to tend to others, she set her attention back on Lucy and blinked as she was reminded about the candy Kook administered not too long ago. Trigger had noticed the Snickers bar plopping into her lap--of course she had--but didn't have much energy to react aside from a hum of thanks. However, she had enough grace to chomp into the peace offering, chucking bulging. It was strangely comedic in comparison to her eternally tired expression. She quirked an eyebrow. "Honestly? I doubt Kook'll want anything unless it explodes somehow," she said before shaking her head, one leg hiked up to lay her cheek against her knee and boot perched on the chair. "And I'm not leaving ya, lass. Simple as that."

Aaquil | Interactions: Ro @Elle Joyner | Location: Infirmary

"How you holdin' up, Bug?"

Aaquil didn't visibly react as Ro appeared at his side. Besides, even with his eyes closed and focusing on his center, he had expected someone's presence to warm his surroundings. No, not expected. But he had hoped. He always hoped for a dear friend to appear, no matter the hour or location. The light of others was the only kind he could bring himself to love.

Regardless, he did open his eyes and flashed Dear Ro a warm smile. The aches returned with sharp clarity, but it did nothing to waver his expression. How rude of him it would be to contribute to Ro's piling concern? Insanely so. And thus, he refused to show it. "I am holding up the heaviest of loads like that of the feather, Dear Ro," he giggled. He reached for her hand without a word, encasing her hand gently and giving a brief squeeze. He was always touchy, whether with strangers or friends, and the trait wouldn't fade anytime soon. Sometimes, words failed him, but he could always rely on acting to express whatever he pleased. Regardless, the touch didn't last long and he folded both hands over his stomach. "You are doing the greatest of jobs, yes? You and everyone here."

And yet, he couldn't help but recall how much harm came Dear Gray's way... Of how he could barely help. Not even heal.

The smile remained. Stronger than concrete. The glimmer of a curious puppy sneaked into his eyes. "You are the not overworking yourself, yes? I do not wish for that..." Some concern dimmed that shine. Contemplative. Lips pinched. "Perhaps you would care for the piles of cuddles after this is the all done? I have successfully convinced Dear Emily to join and I am certain that more will be the willing to participate."

And then, something finally clicked, and his grin widened with casual wonder. "I am the bug? What kind, Dear Ro?"

• Love

"Well, you're holdin' it up beautiful, darlin'... Just don't get crushed, alright? We need you here with us..." Ro's contenance shifted, as Aaquil's hand closed around her own, and her eyes filled with emotion as she gave him a squeeze in return, before relinquishing her hold. A small smile pulled at the corner of her lips, growing wider as he continued, and she bobbed her head in a firm nod, "I think that sounds like a dang good plan, Aaquil. Know I could use it, and I'm pretty sure y'all will find some other folks do, too." Her hands hovered over him, and she let her shoulders bounced in a shrug, "Don't you worry about me, though. I'm peachy. Just hold still a sec..."

Quietly, she murmured the Latin chant, her eyes rolling closed. The golden light shimmered in a circle around Aaquil, his wounds sealing with a warmth that would linger for several seconds thereafter. When the light faded, her hands lowered to his again, giving them another gentle squeeze of reassurance, "Should take care of some of that weight... At least I sure hope so..."

Looking up at his question, she laughed softly. She had a way of getting ahead of herself when it came to pet names, and she forgot sometimes that Aaquil didn't fully understand all of the customs she was used to, "Love bug. It's what my Gran used to call our favorite puppy, Buck. N-not that you... remind me of Bucky or anythin' just... It's a term of endearment, s'all. Though you are cute as a pup, but you already know that."

Giving his nose a gentle poke with her finger, Ro rose to her feet. She felt shaky, but not entirely due to the double burst of healing.. She was exhausted, emotionally, as well. Too many people hurt... too many friends... Wasn't just Ronin's blood on her, anymore. Lucy and Quil and... hell.

"You keep me updated on that cuddle puddle, Sugar. I'm gonna go lay down for a few... see if I can't work up a lil' more energy for helpin' Ricky. You rest, too. Y'all did good. Y'all did so good." With a wink, she turned away from the bed and made her way out of the infirmary. When she'd made it out of the door, her pace picked up, as the emotions rolling within her head threatened to spill over. Avoiding the atrium, she returned to her room, still nearly pitch dark, and closing the door behind her, she leaned against it, sucking in a breath to fight a sob. It was a short lived attempt... Her knees bent as she slid down the door, and curling her arms around herself, she burrowed, breaking down into her blood stained jeans.

Kook | Interactions: Selene @KatSea | Location: Selene's Office

Kook watched silently as Sel went through her process of thinking. The head tilts. The "sweethearts". The smiles. Just her overall. And he kept quiet. Well, not entirely. There was always the unconscious cackles. They were always so quiet and automatic, lingering on the back of his throat and devolving into white noise--

Noise.

He needed noise. Yis.

As she went off to snag the honeybun, Kook went the opposite way.

And grabbed the Ravenclaw blanket.

Then he eyed that same desk that had tripped him earlier.

Cue the Old Western music. This was his battle now. And one that he would win. Triumph--it sounded so much like a trombone. No, a trumpet. They were close when it came to spelling t--which word was made first? Triumph? Or Trumpet? Are they connected? Aren't all words connected? No matter the language?

...Eh. Screw it. Didn't matter to Kook. That was why he didn't bother with words to begin wi--

"Guh!" With a grunt, he hauled himself onto the desk and tied the Ravenclaw sheet around his neck. With his cape in place, he looked down at Selene and the honeybun. Oh, right. He still had to recharge. A honeybun would do.

But now he was up here on the desk... He had to develop a plan.

He could just jump dow--

"Gehhhh..." Kook performed a few squats in preparation. Determination swelled in his chest. This, ladies and gentlemen... man? Men? Gentleman? Singular, right. Technically plural right now, so men. This, women and gentlemen (it rhymed better than ladies and gentlemen), was the moment of truth and lies. The moment. Of. Everything.

He fell into a crouch.

In three. Two. ONE!

"Gahah!!" He launched from the desk like Superman, fist punching the sky and cape flapping in the wind behind him. Oh--heck yeah. This felt... right. Perfect. He basked in that brief moment of being airborne. The weightlessness. The freedom. The gentle rush. It was almost as amazing as his spell.

Almost.

With a grunt, he rolled forward mid-air and snatched the honeybun, before rolling into a perfect landing behind Sel. With a triumphant--YES, TRIUMPHANT! SOUND THE TRUMPETS!--yell, he launched to his feet with both arms raised. "Guh! Geh! Gah! GAHAHHAHEHEHHEEHEHH!"

A pause.

...Oh. He couldn't recharge with this.

He put it back in Sel's hand. "Guh." That was for her. Oh! Right!

Then he took off the blanket and draped it around her shoulders. There.

• Love
Lucia Rivera

Lucia's head unconsciously leaned into the affectionate act, a gentle sigh mirroring her made dulce's escaping her. She figured she would bathe in the warm feeling as long as she could, comfort over the following day invading her senses, conquering any concern that would come. "Ro can do anything! It's sort of her thing you know, Trig. Her being a wonderful human being and all. Can I say anything else other than she's the bomb...uh...dignity?" She questioned with a sheepish grin, still growing accustomed to a few of the common American terms. "Yes! Bomb dignity sounds more than correct. That is Ro, for you." Lucia did grow uncharacteristically quiet at her madre dulce's words, her fingers skimming gently along Trigger's knuckles in thought. She pulled the covers up to her chest with her free hand, the comfort of the thin layered warmth threatening to overtake her vision.

"You owe me nothing at all. You were so bad of ass out there! I don't think I've ever seen such a shot like yours. I may have nightmares over it later." She teased with a short giggle, her eyes averting once again to the Recess in her hands. Peeling the package further, she decided to follow Trigger's direction and stuffed a fair chunk of food into her mouth, nibbling at the end as to savor the precious chocolate and peanut butter combination. She had entered a state no other physical object could provide, her eyes brightening as the sugar crawled from her nerves. "Oh, I think I can get him something that'll explode. If it makes him laugh, why not? Perfect repayment! Even at the cost of...you know. Some explosions. Bethany would not be too mad!"

Watching Trigger adjust herself, Lucia followed suite, fulling encasing herself in the bed sheets and pulling them to her chin. However, she was sure to keep her head propped up with her hands, eyes inspecting her madre dulce with a grace and care of an attentive mother. "Sweetheart, you do not have to stay all night. As much as I love your company more than the sun in the sky...you should sleep! Sleep makes you energized, and I know no sleep makes people cranky. Even though you are adorable when you are cranky." pressing the palms of her hands to her lips, she failed to contain a small, guilty laugh.

Ronin Isaacson

Ronin slept sound. He didn't recall when he had fallen into the pit, but when he fell it was a hard impact. Head tilted over, chin meeting his chest, Ronin found a gentle rush of air escaping his mouth with each tick of his watch. Generally the young man would be able to handle a mission revolving around those horrid bitches, sick claws and all, but today he was especially drained. He figured it could have been the training, or the guilt that accompanied hiding a large ass dog, rat, mole monster in a burrow fifty feet away from the guild. Naturally, his body was recovering from the effect of the bizarre outcome, his mouth pried open in a fool's gape.

The creak of the door awoke him in a matter of seconds. Oh. God. Ro's room. He had remained asleep in Ro's room. She didn't want him to leave, and thus, against his better judgement, he fell asleep against the hollow wall. His neck ached, brutal and dull as he lifted the weight of his head from his neck. Her footsteps seemed rugged. Lumbering.

"Europa?" He called out gently, his voice groggy and congested with slumber. Releasing a soft yawn, his eyes fluttered open and witnessed the young woman collapse to her knees, burying her face in her hands and beginning to cry. Groaning, Ronin propped himself up and managed to crawl over to her. "I didn't realize you coming back to see me was gonna put you in such a state of distress, sugar plum. Breathe. Breathe." He asked of her gently, refusing to touch her in case of setting her off. He had his chest beaten several times, and would rather not get another bruise while this woman was breaking down. Slowly he sat in front of her, hands in front of his crossed legs and eyes hooded as he softly claimed.

"Sugar, you are gonna need to breathe sometime. Come on, with me now. In. Out. In and out."

• Love
Selene Montgomery

"Honey I-" Selene called out in blatant confusion as she turned to find him securing her blanket around his neck, cuing the gentle No capes! in the back of her mind. Yet, she expected no less from her veteran visitor and friend, who had, in full confidence and if she dared say stride, climbed to the desk and stood in triumph. Selene couldn't help but blink as her eye sight followed his, her grip instinctually loosening upon the sweet treat. Him towering over her without the assistance of the work desk was bad enough, but now she could clearly identify the mirth and mischief that lingered like a wildfire in his mask. Even if she couldn't see his face, and never had, she could clearly hypothesize what may have been activated in his own eyes. If it was anyone else, Selene would have taken a few steps back, hid the treat behind her back, and kindly thanked them for their time in her office. However, with her arm outstretched, she watched as the man leaped from the desk, landing beautifully on the ground next to her, and stealing the treat from your grasp.

"Very nice Kook ~. New record for distance travelled I dare say!" Swiveling back to face him, she offered only the biggest smile she could(despite the sleepiness nipping at the corners of her features). "You deserve that treat my good sir-" He plopped it securely back into her hand, as well as draping her blanket back around her shoulders. Confusion briefly settled along her visage, but nevertheless gratefulness ensued. "Ah, you didn't have to do that Kookie. The blanket looked a lot prettier on you anyhow...and thank you so much for the gift!" Tapping her nails against the packaging, her eyes darted up to meet his once again.

"You know, we could share this if you'd like. Consider it early morning, unhealthy breakfast. The best kind if I dare say." Holding up her peace offering, she decided to take a note out of Kook's handbook and bowed her head, bending onto one knee with a grin. "A gift for my fair savior, guiding me from the floor of destruction and the canopy of most certain-able doom."

• Love