Not open for further replies.

rissa

the clairvoyant pterodactyl
Original poster
VENGEANCE
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
BBCODE AND DIVBOX INQUIRIES
A place specifically designed for bbcode and divbox related questions! Need help figuring out a bit of code? Not sure why your code keeps breaking? Unsure if what you want to do is even possible? Fret not! This thread's creation is for the sole purpose of helping you figure out your coding, one question at a time.
F. A. Q.
H E L P F U LxxL I N K S

Last edited:
Oh geez. It’s that rich text editor thing where it messes up the divs. Fudge. Thanks! I’ll keep adding a closed tag at the end to try and fix it.
If it becomes a frequent problem, I'd suggest turning the RTE off in your preferences!

Quick question.

Whenever I edit one of my posts with a div box and I save it, I always get lines of code randomly thrown into areas that I didn't touch. If I'm using tabs, a div box with all my backgrounds will appear at the bottom outside the tabs, my div boxes will split where one will just be the background and the other will be the background and all the body. Is there anyway to avoid this?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Quick question.

Whenever I edit one of my posts with a div box and I save it, I always get lines of code randomly thrown into areas that I didn't touch. If I'm using tabs, a div box with all my backgrounds will appear at the bottom outside the tabs, my div boxes will split where one will just be the background and the other will be the background and all the body. Is there anyway to avoid this?

Hmm. That sounds odd. Do you have the rich text editor on? It sounds like you have too many divs/not all of them are closing correctly.

If you can post the code, I'm sure I can help a bit more! c:

Quick question.

I've also run into things like that and I think sometimes the issue is that the code nesting is for some reason unhappy.
I don't know if that's your issue but sometimes if you have lots of things working at once and open/close them in an order it doesn't approve of or similar such things, I think it gets a little wonky.

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
I've also run into things like that and I think sometimes the issue is that the code nesting is for some reason unhappy.
I don't know if that's your issue but sometimes if you have lots of things working at once and open/close them in an order it doesn't approve of or similar such things, I think it gets a little wonky.
This too! You should always close your tags in the order you nested them in! So if you have font, size, bold, and italics, be sure to close em correctly... /italics, /bold, /size, /font.

Otherwise, like Kitti said, divs can get a lil wonky.

• Thank You
Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
This too! You should always close your tags in the order you nested them in! So if you have font, size, bold, and italics, be sure to close em correctly... /italics, /bold, /size, /font.

Like Kitti said, divs can get a lil wonky.

Thanks to you both. I'll make sure to test it out next time I'm editting. That might be my problem since I tend to close things out as I think of them rather than in order. :)

Reactions: rissa
Thanks to you both. I'll make sure to test it out next time I'm editting. That might be my problem since I tend to close things out as I think of them rather than in order. :)
To help combat this issue, I like to keep a copy of the post's code in notepad and edit there, then paste the edit into the bbcode editor. It's not failed me yet. =)

Hey, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile; how do you customize tabs? like the accordions?

I can't figure out where/how to edit the codes to do anything besides change the font and size of the boxes. How do you make them not grey, ect? nothing I do changes anything :/

Hey, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile; how do you customize tabs? like the accordions?

I can't figure out where/how to edit the codes to do anything besides change the font and size of the boxes. How do you make them not grey, ect? nothing I do changes anything :/

Unfortunately, tabs cannot be changed, beyond the font -- You CAN use stabs, instead, and they're much more customizable, but a little harder to manage !

Reactions: brinesweep
Unfortunately, tabs cannot be changed, beyond the font -- You CAN use stabs, instead, and they're much more customizable, but a little harder to manage !

right-o, thanks. I was thinking that might be the case. is there a guide somewhere that actually explains those? nothing I've found really goes in-depth.

right-o, thanks. I was thinking that might be the case. is there a guide somewhere that actually explains those? nothing I've found really goes in-depth.

Darkflames goes into them a little in her test thread - nothing super extensive yet, tho! :)

Darkflames goes into them a little in her test thread - nothing super extensive yet, tho! :)
Yeah, I've looked through that. I'm not in the know enough to Get It tho ahah
is coding them that different?

Yeah, I've looked through that. I'm not in the know enough to Get It tho ahah
is coding them that different?

Depends, really, on how much you wanna alter them. Just changing the color and such isn't too bad- but positioning can be a pain :-P

@darkflames13 is definitely the expert on them tho

• Love
Reactions: darkflames13

To add to what Elle said, you can change the background of the content area for the tabs via divs. Unfortunately you can’t change the background colour for the the tabs themselves. Like Elle said, the most you can do to them is alter the font.

Here’s a sample of how to change the background on the content area of the tabs

Code:
[tabs]
[tab=Dis is a tab][/tab][tab=Dis is a tab][div=height:200px;background:grey; margin:-10px; padding:10px;]Content 1[/div][/tab]
[/tabs]

As for stabs, I have a post in the old bbcode thread that gives an overview of how I do my cheat. You can find it [here] :)

Hey guys. Anyway to make my CS mobile friendly? It's bothering me.

https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/beauty-and-the-beast-la-reina-x-pahn.167661/

@Elle Joyner It's actually one of your old templates. Maybe you have a better idea since its your masterpiece?
It's sorta mobile friendly? Not the friendliest, but I can see all the info on mobile. :'D

In any case, to make it more mobile friendly, I would suggest reworking it to use flexboxes instead of percentage widths.

To do convert it to flexboxes, you're going to have to add display:flex; and flex-wrap:wrap; to the outermost div and remove the height property from it. Then find the divs that start each columns and add the property flex:1; for the first column, flex:1.25; for the second, and flex:3; for the third. Remove the display and height properties from all three columns as well, tho keep the height for the last column, we'll be changing that to 779px (should be 800px actually, based on the former height in the outermost div butttt it was off for some reason. Not sure why, but 779px works sooo :'D) Finally add a min-width for the last column, 250px should be good enough.

Here's what the resulting code would look like (I may have removed a couple of divs that weren't doing anything)
Code:
[div=max-width:1200px !important; /*height:800px;*/ display:flex; flex-wrap:wrap; color:#c29878 ; font-size:9pt; font-family:book antiqua; text-align:justify;]

[div=flex:1; background:url(https://i.imgur.com/fWeDFrG.png); background-size:100%; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center 38%; margin-bottom:5px; vertical-align:top; overflow-y:auto; align:left;][/div][div=vertical-align:top; flex:1.25; margin-right:1%; display:inline-block;][div=height:375px; background:url(https://i.imgur.com/xDR9dpk.jpg); background-size:100%; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center 38%; margin-bottom:5px; margin-left:5px;][/div][div=height:195px; background:#004900; margin-bottom:5px; overflow-y:auto; border:2px solid #596164; margin-left:5px;][div=padding:10px; font-size:8pt; letter-spacing:1.25px; line-height:9.5pt;][div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;]✵WILLIAM J. BRADFORD[/div][hr=border:2px solid #596164][/hr]

[div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Age[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]27[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Cursed for[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]20 years[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Nationality[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]French[/div][/div]

[div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Height[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]6'1''[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Weight[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]195lbs[/div][/div]

[div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;]Languages[/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]English, French[/div][/div][/div][/div][div=height:195px; background:url(https://i.imgur.com/w43kmrr.jpg?1); background-size:auto; background-position:43%; margin-left:5px;][/div]

[/div][div=flex:3; min-width:250px; height:779px; background:#596164; vertical-align:top; overflow-y:auto;][div=padding:10px; font-size:9.5pt; letter-spacing:1.25px; line-height:9.5pt;][div=text-align:right; font-size:14.5pt;]✵BIOGRAPHY[/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr] William James Bradford. It was a name well known in the province. It was a name that commanded respect, a name filled with prestige, and a name that equaled power. The Bradford estate controlled the region and William was its heir and executor. His parents, upon their unfortunate death, left the entire estate to their only son. William was left alone, at an early age, with only his servants to help raise him. His servants, in their attempt to raise William properly and even perhaps overcompensating for the loss of his actual parents, created a sense of entitlement in William that altered who he was when he became a man.

He had everything his heart could ever desire. He had money, power, celebrity and his choice of any woman. But William's entitlement bred arrogance and eventually cruelty. He looked down on others that didn't carry his level of wealth and power. He mistreated his servants, even though they had raised him, and anyone he deemed lesser than him. He cared for no one but himself. His interests took precedence over everything and he didn't care who he had to step on to get what he wanted. He increased his estate to the point where the Bradford  name owned almost everything within a twenty mile radius of his lavish mansion.

William was an excellent business man but he achieved his excellence through deception and greed. He made underhanded deals that only benefited him and left the other party scrambling and unable to recover their losses. One day, however, William attempted to take advantage of the wrong man.

In another attempt to make a deal that only benefited him, William angered a wealthy benefactor by the name of Robert Mullings. William was set to take over Robert's properties and land but unbeknownst to William, Robert 's properties housed a large coven of witches and Robert was the head warlock. Robert did not take well to William's schemes, nor the loss of his home and those of his coven members. He vowed to make William regret the day he ever crossed him.

One night, just before the deal was about to close, Robert Mullings arrived at the Bradford mansion. He and William had an extensive argument that would have gotten to blows had Robert not pulled out his wand. At the sight of it William buckled over in laughter. Robert admitting he was a warlock made William laugh even harder. He would soon regret laughing at Robert Mullings. The warlock began to chant and all the lights in William's mansion went out. "If you wish to act like the devil then that is what you shall become!" Robert shouted as a bright light escaped from his wand and hit William straight in the middle of his chest.

Pain. It was instant. William's body began to contort wildly, his skin falling in clumps and replaced with leathery red flesh. Giant horns protruded from his skull painfully, William yelling at the top of his lungs during the entire transformation. His servants came immediately and attempted to stop whatever was happening but Robert cast his spell on them as well. "For enabling him and creating the monster... you, too, shall suffer." Every servant in the house lost their corporeal forms, being forced to remain in the mansion as ghosts, destined to serve their master until he broke the curse.

Robert's curse transformed William into a hideous red demon, a reflection of who he was truly on the inside. Like his servants, he was trapped within his mansion unable to leave until he found a way to break the curse.

Robert gave William two conditions. First he had to learn to treat others how he would want to be treated himself and secondly he had to find someone to love him in his current form. He would not age nor would he die until the spell was broken. Robert disappeared after that, leaving William alone to deal with his consequences. William destroyed his entire mansion. He destroyed every photo, everything that showed who he once was. Every day for years on end he attempted a new way to end his life but nothing worked. He was trapped. He became crueler than he ever was, giving himself completely to the demon form and foregoing what once made him human.

Twenty years passed. Twenty years. The Bradford name became nothing more than a memory, an unsolved mystery that no one cared to solve anymore.The curse kept his mansion hidden and any semblance of love he might have once had disappeared into the nothing. He truly became the demon he had turned into and there would never be a way to turn him from it...or so he thought.

[/div][/div][/div]
And a preview of what it looks: [spoili]

✵WILLIAM J. BRADFORD

Cursed for
20 years
Nationality
French

Height
6'1''
Weight
195lbs

Languages
English, French

✵BIOGRAPHY

William James Bradford. It was a name well known in the province. It was a name that commanded respect, a name filled with prestige, and a name that equaled power. The Bradford estate controlled the region and William was its heir and executor. His parents, upon their unfortunate death, left the entire estate to their only son. William was left alone, at an early age, with only his servants to help raise him. His servants, in their attempt to raise William properly and even perhaps overcompensating for the loss of his actual parents, created a sense of entitlement in William that altered who he was when he became a man.

He had everything his heart could ever desire. He had money, power, celebrity and his choice of any woman. But William's entitlement bred arrogance and eventually cruelty. He looked down on others that didn't carry his level of wealth and power. He mistreated his servants, even though they had raised him, and anyone he deemed lesser than him. He cared for no one but himself. His interests took precedence over everything and he didn't care who he had to step on to get what he wanted. He increased his estate to the point where the Bradford name owned almost everything within a twenty mile radius of his lavish mansion.

William was an excellent business man but he achieved his excellence through deception and greed. He made underhanded deals that only benefited him and left the other party scrambling and unable to recover their losses. One day, however, William attempted to take advantage of the wrong man.

In another attempt to make a deal that only benefited him, William angered a wealthy benefactor by the name of Robert Mullings. William was set to take over Robert's properties and land but unbeknownst to William, Robert 's properties housed a large coven of witches and Robert was the head warlock. Robert did not take well to William's schemes, nor the loss of his home and those of his coven members. He vowed to make William regret the day he ever crossed him.

One night, just before the deal was about to close, Robert Mullings arrived at the Bradford mansion. He and William had an extensive argument that would have gotten to blows had Robert not pulled out his wand. At the sight of it William buckled over in laughter. Robert admitting he was a warlock made William laugh even harder. He would soon regret laughing at Robert Mullings. The warlock began to chant and all the lights in William's mansion went out. "If you wish to act like the devil then that is what you shall become!" Robert shouted as a bright light escaped from his wand and hit William straight in the middle of his chest.

Pain. It was instant. William's body began to contort wildly, his skin falling in clumps and replaced with leathery red flesh. Giant horns protruded from his skull painfully, William yelling at the top of his lungs during the entire transformation. His servants came immediately and attempted to stop whatever was happening but Robert cast his spell on them as well. "For enabling him and creating the monster... you, too, shall suffer." Every servant in the house lost their corporeal forms, being forced to remain in the mansion as ghosts, destined to serve their master until he broke the curse.

Robert's curse transformed William into a hideous red demon, a reflection of who he was truly on the inside. Like his servants, he was trapped within his mansion unable to leave until he found a way to break the curse.

Robert gave William two conditions. First he had to learn to treat others how he would want to be treated himself and secondly he had to find someone to love him in his current form. He would not age nor would he die until the spell was broken. Robert disappeared after that, leaving William alone to deal with his consequences. William destroyed his entire mansion. He destroyed every photo, everything that showed who he once was. Every day for years on end he attempted a new way to end his life but nothing worked. He was trapped. He became crueler than he ever was, giving himself completely to the demon form and foregoing what once made him human.

Twenty years passed. Twenty years. The Bradford name became nothing more than a memory, an unsolved mystery that no one cared to solve anymore.The curse kept his mansion hidden and any semblance of love he might have once had disappeared into the nothing. He truly became the demon he had turned into and there would never be a way to turn him from it...or so he thought.

[/spoili]

It's quite a lot of changes but when done, the last column should wrap to the next line when viewed on a smaller screen making it more mobile friendly. :)

Thank you @darkflames13 !

One more question. (Since my OCD is on overdrive right now) Is there a way to make the human picture more in line? Its like floating and not attached to the center box like the demon picture is. Get what I mean? Is it the image size?

Does anyone know if it's possible to make an accordion or something out of an image?
Like, I have these two images:

and I would like for them to swap the other image for a slightly wider text box with a character sheet when clicked, but how do I do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.