Battlefield of the Mind (Sailor Arti x Ritual Lobotomy)

Sailor Arti

☽ Neighborhood Friendly Magical Girl ☽
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
I'll be honest, I don't check Iwaku much but I do check!
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Romance, Fantasy, Adventure, Action, ect (I'm up for anything)

Ainslie Morrison, Gryffindor Tower, Common Room

She'd really gone and done it this time. Ainslie was used to fucking up, this wasn't new. She's been in trouble a lot but never this badly. And if she was she didn't get caught for it either. The ginger-haired girl sighed heavily as she sunk further into the couch. It was night time and the rest of her housemates were sleeping. After all, they had classes in the morning. The reason she wasn't doing the same was because she was suspended.

Most of her punishment was still being decided, but for the most part she would be taking part in no school or after school activities for a while. She sharply sucked a breath through gritted teeth as she touched a tender spot on her ribs. She'd been patched up in the infirmary after the incident but she still had bruises and things that would heal over time. She just welcomed it as part of taking responsibilities for her actions.

Sure, some things were unfortunate, like her being under the influence of a rogue potion. But she had still made the decision to attack Carrow. And she had also made the decision to continue to attack her despite listening to reason. Flashes from the fight came back to the surface of her memory and left Ainslie feeling sick in the pit of her stomach all over again.

Despite being a firecracker, the rage she felt back then, how she felt she couldn't control herself or stop herself anymore? That scared her. She didn't want to admit it, but she was thankful for Professor Anderson stepping in when she did. If things had been allowed to continue, one of them would've been seriously hurt and no matter how pissed off she was, she didn't want to be responsible for that.

And now, Ainslie was paying for her actions. Not only was she missing valuable class time but she also wasn't allowed to participate in Quidditch matches for the time being. Not to mention Madame Watkins had been so furious with her she barely offered her any words as she dismissed her, but not before letting her know her position as the team's Seeker would be reevaluated.

All that hard work. Ainslie had worked her ass off training to get that spot and this was the year, she'd finally made it and she'd blown it within a matter of seconds. Ainslie was more than furious with herself. The rumors going around the school didn't help either, so she'd been laying low for once. She was avoiding everyone entirely. Professors, friends, you name it, she made sure to distance herself. That included Fee and Caleb as well.

She was ashamed to face them. Felix most of all. She knew he would blame himself and she just didn't want him to feel that way. Not to mention she was aware negative emotions were hard on him and she was nothing but a walking cesspool of negative vibes right now. She didn't want to talk, even though he had tried to get her attention numerous times already.

Ainslie felt bad for blowing him off the way she was doing but she forced herself to feel justified. She didn't want to make matters worst and besides, this was serious. Putting herself in isolation was a timeout she needed to set her mind straight. The ginger sighed again, she wanted a drink but they were back in her dorm room and she didn't feel like retrieving them. What a bummer....

but the aftertaste is
- b i t t e r s w e e t -

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
a87bbf76cdc153552c729dc776bb78bf.jpgFELIX BUTLER

Interaction: Ainslie Morrison - @Sailor Arti

A day of mediation felt as exhausting as several more elbows to the face. And yet, once he crawled under his sheets, all the exhaustion left at once. At first, he blamed the heat. Then the blanket that just wouldn't tuck him in well enough. Then too much blanket. And after the blanket issue was somehow fixed, his mattress suddenly felt rather annoying.

Groaning, Felix sat up and stretched before dropping back down, head deep in his ridiculously soft pillow that framed his head as if it would suffocate him. Nothing. He was no closer to falling asleep than he was five minutes ago. Stubbornly still, he kept his eyelids shut out of spite.

A slight movement on top of the cover made him hopeful, if only for a moment. One of his eyes rushed to acknowledge the presence of a small body. There was one alright, but not the one he had hoped for.

"Oh. Hey Doc," he greeted with audible disappointment. The large rat approached and sniffed his face, provoking a chuckle. "That tickles, mate. Stop it. Tryna sleep here."

Wishful thinking.

Doc pressed on, tugging at the covers playfully.

"Doc, I'm serious!" Felix complained half-heartedly because, in all honesty, the damn rodent always managed to amuse him. He chuckled at the animal's persistent skittering across his chest before finally dropping the act. He sat up once again, Doc sliding in his lap.

"Alright, alright, jeesh! But just one trick, okay?"

As if he understood, Doc eagerly pawed and squealed at the deck of cards Felix took out from his nightstand, which earned him a decisive "Shh!" from the Gryffindor.

"Chill, okay? Here goes! Pick a card. Any card, sir!" And as usual, Doc chose once. Except for this time around, he did not feel like playing nice. As soon as he grabbed the card he was pleased with, he paused for a moment, his ears twitching.

"Okay. You see, it is like we did before. You need to return th- H-hey! Where are you going?!"

Grabbing the card firmer, Doc jumped off the bed and ran straight out of the dorm.

"Hey, Copperfield!" it sounded from the pile of blankets in the bed near him. "Shut the hell up!"

"R-right, eh. Sorry," Felix apologized hastily, throwing the cover off and reaching for his baggy sleeping shirt. It had seen better days, but it served its purpose, and that's what mattered.

"Dammit, Doc. Come back!" he scolded the rat as he rushed out of the dorm just on time to see it descending down the stairs. He did not need another point reduction for having his rat visit the girls' dorm.

Easier said than done.

Much like a tornado, lanky Irish rushed down the stairs after the rodent, feet tripping on the other, as he only by sheer luck managed to maintain his balance. All threat of breaking his neck proving useless when Doc still managed to storm up the stairs to the girl dorms.

"Aaaargh, great!" Felix groaned, ruffling his hair as he made his way to the Common Room's seats. It's been a while since so much stress piled down on him at the same time. And he didn't miss any of it. Sometimes it felt like his head is simply going to explode.

"Little fu- eeheeyoh." While he didn't swear in front of just anyone, it was more a surprise than the embarrassment that made him cut it into an exclamation instead.

Sure, she was a Gryffindor, and it was a Gryffindor Common Room, and yet, seeing her there somehow managed to shake him to his core. He briefly blushed at the notion - he was a dunce. It was Ainslie. His Ainslie. And he had missed her so much, but...

"B-before you run from me. Again," he heard himself speak up hastily as he approached her much like a frightened animal. "Please, just... Listen." He paused, unsure of whether it would work or not, but at least his heart was out there. Even with his best effort, he looked exhausted.

"I want to be there for you, but you are making it very difficult, Teddy Bear," he chuckled nervously, running a hand through his hair. "Just help me out a tiny bit, okay? Just a hint. What am I supposed to do with you?"

Ainslie had gone back to reclining on the couch, hoping she could manage to get a little bit of shut eye before the other's woke up for their classes. She didn't want to be here when they did after all, she didn't think she was in the correct mental or emotional state to deal with the rumors or the teasing. Another deep sigh passed as she laid her arm across her eyes.

Out of school suspension would've been better than this. It was a thought she often had. She'd take her on her parents disappointment before having to suffer through all of this. At least it was quiet and somewhat peaceful. She could enjoy the time to herself, give in to the melancholy without someone bothering her.

"Little fu- eeheeyoh." her eyes snapped open once she recognized the voice. No way fate was trolling her like this. Using her arms to prop her up she glanced back towards the stares where she heard her boyfriend's voice. Sure enough, Felix was standing there a good distance away from her looking much like a dog with it's tail in-between it's legs.

There was a brief pause as the pair stared at one another and Ainslie was already considering which route would be the fastest to get her out of this situation. It seemed Fee really knew her well because he spoke up quickly before she could get up, "B-before you run from me. Again," Ainslie was frozen as she listened to what it is he had to say, she owed him this much at least. "Please, just... Listen."

He looked really tired. She made note of it as honey brown orbs took in his appearance. She felt awful. This was her fault as well she was sure of it. Ainslie was so frustrated, was there nothing she could do to make things easier on him? She had decided to distance herself for their own good. She didn't want him stressing out over her mistake but it seemed he would do that regardless.

The guilt left a bittersweet taste in her mouth as she finally tore her gaze from Felix and sat up straight on the couch. "I want to be there for you, but you are making it very difficult, Teddy Bear," He chuckled nervously but she didn't say anything. She didn't even crack a smile or blush like she might have normally done.

"Just help me out a tiny bit, okay? Just a hint. What am I supposed to do with you?" Ainslie didn't say anything for a moment. Just stayed hunched over on the couch refusing to meet his concerned gaze. "Just leave me alone." she answered after a moment. The words didn't sit right with her, they felt wrong the moment they left her lips.

With a groan she shoved her fingers in her hair and rustled it. "There's nothing you can do Felix." she tried again. "I fucked up and that's my fault. I need take responsibility for that." If she was going to get him to ease up and stop worrying about her she would have to tell him the truth. No matter how bothersome that was to her.

"I'm a wreck right now Fee, and I need to figure myself out." she admitted bitterly, "You know you don't do well with emotions like these." she said as she gripped the front of her tank top tightly. "So it's better if you just leave me alone for a while till things are sorted. Besides...." she said with a pause as her voice became smaller. "You have other things more important to focus on."

but the aftertaste is

• Sympathy & Compassion
f88a7d2edf5da7e1be267f79b384a51f.jpgFELIX BUTLER

Categorically, Felix's thoughts protested against his girlfriend's response. But then, a stone in his gut wrecked the initial determination. Maybe she simply wanted him gone after all. She was hard to read for once, but it offered some consolation to him - knowing that she wasn't confident in her decision to push him away. Maybe he was just a shitty boyfriend? The thing he was terrified of in the first place. Perhaps he really approached it wrong and messed up real well.

Maybe...

"There's nothing you can do Felix." Disappointed with the underlying fact that she may be right, he bowed his head with a sigh. "I fucked up and that's my fault. I need to take responsibility for that."

"Yes. I know," the Gryffindor rushed to add almost desperately. "But can't I just-"

"I'm a wreck right now Fee, and I need to figure myself out," Ainslie interrupted him. "You know you don't do well with emotions like these."

Felix lowered down his arms, unaware that he was holding them spread out in the first place. So it was his fault. Of course, it was his fault! Useless and immature. That's what he was.

"Well, I would like to try, Ains," he mumbled out with a confused scoff. "Don't just shut me out, dammit. It's worse." Against his better judgment, he felt himself growing more impatient than ever, and if only, slightly annoyed. None of it was alright.

"So it's better if you just leave me alone for a while till things are sorted."

Felix couldn't help but wonder to whom that 'better' was implying.

"Besides," Ainslie continued while she still attempted to remain as small as possible on the couch, almost with a whisper.

"You have other things more important to focus on."

"What?" the question came out unexpectedly but, admittedly, her excuse was just as unexpected. It hurt.

"What better things to do? Tell me," Felix demanded, but soon after lowered the pitch of his voice, ashamed. Pausing briefly to collect his thoughts, he scoffed and shrugged.

"Ains, I can't even sleep properly ever since you just decided to avoid me. Studying is not an option. The quidditch practice was a disaster, and I've fed a bloody Hippogriff with a notebook just this morning. The point being, I couldn't stop thinking of you."

Other than making his point clear, Felix had no intention to elaborate on it further. He was undoubtedly an emotional coward. Negative emotions scared him, but with Ainslie, there was no doubt of what he would do. She went beyond the discomfort. The situation wasn't about him.

The lanky Gryffindor sighed, observing her fondly despite the frustration. The feeling of annoyance died down as he simply allowed for her aura to do whatever it needed to do to him. Regret and sadness crashed in like a strong wave, briefly numbing him, but instead of raising his sad little defenses, Felix inhaled and endured.

"Okay," he spoke up after brief silence fell between them. He didn't want to fight. It was the last thing he wanted, and it felt like all of it led there. It was a hundred times worse dealing with the thought of it than coping with the rest.

"Let's try this again," Felix suggested, hesitantly making his way towards her. In one breath of bravery, he marched the distance before she could say anything to stop him. He passed all of the available comfortable places to sit on. Instead, he lowered himself on the floor in front of the couch, forcing himself into Ainslie's field of view that seemed to be painfully restricted to the ground.

"Shite happens, okay? We all make mistakes," he started, resting his hand against her calf with a comforting squeeze. "And I get it. It doesn't feel good. But it is okay. You do not deserve to beat yourself up over it."

Small words of encouragement to her seemed to be working quite well on himself. For the first time since all that mess had begun, he was close to her, talking to her. And it felt better.

So much better, in fact, that it had Felix smile with relief, now leaning his head and chest fully against her lap.

"I do not deal well with all of it, but it isn't about me. Don't worry." Felix put his previous thought to use. "And I promise I will do my best not to bore you with affection unless you want it," he smirked sheepishly, figuring it was pretty ironic saying it when he was already back to being stuck to her. But it counted.

"Well... Starting from after this conversation," he jested.

"If I can't help you, Teddy Bear, then I will lay off. But at least allow me to be close and aware of when you change your mind. Can we do it like that?"

Last edited:

"What better things to do? Tell me," Felix demanded. The tone of his voice took her off guard causing her eyes to widen but she still didn't raise her head. Ainslie didn't bother to answer him, it seemed he wouldn't agree with her anyway. She was too tired to argue and if he couldn't see where she was coming from what was the point?

"Ains, I can't even sleep properly ever since you just decided to avoid me. Studying is not an option. The quidditch practice was a disaster, and I've fed a bloody Hippogriff with a notebook just this morning. The point being, I couldn't stop thinking of you." Ainslie sighed again. So it was her fault?

She didn't want to get Felix more involved than he already was. He was going to graduate soon and he certainly did have other things that mattered more than her. She needed him to trust that even though she wasn't okay right now she would be. Ainslie knew that when life came he wouldn't always be able to drop everything and tend to her.

Besides, she didn't want to be pitied. Not when she was the one that put herself in this sort of situation. Okay, maybe she needed to work on allowing people in. It was still a struggle, in fact, being in a relationship made it harder. Ainslie was independent to a fault. Preferring to be alone and do things on her own, but Fee was the opposite.

Felix sighed. It was the first sound from either one of them since he last spoke. Ainslie didn't know what to say, especially since she felt if she shared anything it would end up in a fight. "Okay," he said after a moment, "Let's try this again," The ginger Gryffindor heard Fee as he made his way over to her.

He knelt down until he was within her field of vision finally. He placed a hand on her calf and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Shite happens, okay? We all make mistakes," Yes, everyone made mistakes but not everyone made a fool of themselves the way she had. And she was going to lose her position on the team to boot?

"And I get it. It doesn't feel good. But it is okay. You do not deserve to beat yourself up over it." It wasn't that she was beating herself up over it. She just had regrets and not all of them were pure. She needed a moment to sort through these emotions, especially because Ainslie was not good at handling strong emotions like these.

Felix seemed to relax against her despite the situation. He leaned his head and chest on her lap and instinctively she reached out to pet his head. Her eyes widened once she realized what she was doing and she hesitated for a moment before continuing. Felix was contagious like that which was part of the reason she just wanted to thrive in her pity party alone.

Being with Felix made her forget things she probably shouldn't, just because he made her feel so comfortable. She felt guilty feeling good around him when she should be taking responsibility for her actions. "I do not deal well with all of it, but it isn't about me. Don't worry." Felix continued, "And I promise I will do my best not to bore you with affection unless you want it,"

Felix never bored her. There was no way she could sit there and pretend that was the case. She was madly in love with this guy she would never truly deny his affection. It made her feel special. Even when she pushed him away when he would publicly display his affection for her, it was never because she didn't want it.

She was a terrible girlfriend. This she realized as she looked down at Felix laying in her lap. She'd worried him sick, and while she still believe she made the right call, perhaps it wasn't the right call for him. Ainslie had only wanted to spare him more suffering but it would seem in doing so she put him through more.

"Well... Starting from after this conversation," he jested. "If I can't help you, Teddy Bear, then I will lay off. But at least allow me to be close and aware of when you change your mind. Can we do it like that?" How was she supposed to say no to that? She sighed again and bent down and planted a soft kiss on his head.

"I can't say no to you anyway." she muttered against his hair softly. "I'm sorry, Fee." she apologized. It wasn't her intention to make matters worse for him. Her heart was in the right place but just like everything else, it seemed she only made things worse.

but the aftertaste is

• Love
FELIX BUTLER

f88a7d2edf5da7e1be267f79b384a51f.jpg"I can't say no to you anyway." Words that brought up a wide grin to Felix's that translated into a chuckle.

"Really? Couldn't tell," he jested. For once, it sounded mature enough not to sway the seriousness of the situation.

His heart filled with joy every time he would receive her attention, and perhaps the most rewarding part of the day after all the public distancing was when all of the patience would finally pay off. Going days without even seeing her adequately felt like a punishment. A sentiment that seemed to be the butt of all the recent jokes thrown his way.

Yes. He needed his girlfriend, and he had missed her. Felix simply failed to understand what was so funny about it all and what he was supposed to be ashamed of. Weren't they emotions one would naturally have loving another? It always seemed normal to him. Just like the relief he felt at that moment.

"I'm sorry, Fee."

His eyes opened as he thought about it for a good few seconds, still leaning against her lap before he let out an overly dramatic sigh and straightened up.

"I know," he reassured her, reaching up to tuck a dangling piece of ginger hair behind her ear. "But there's nothing to feel sorry for, cutie."

Every once in a while, Felix had admired his friends' abilities to adjust the truth to their surroundings. He understood the concept and the occasional necessity of adapting but found himself unable to express his own appropriately most of the time. It was direct and often not what others wanted to hear. He didn't wish to sound like a victim. Just honest.

"You did what you thought was the best for you. You don't get to apologize for that. Now, kicking some ass on the other hand!" He finally added, rolling sideways to sprawl against the couch, leaning his head back against the seat. "That was dumb. Very cool, though! But also dumb," he teased, poking at her side with a grin.

Undoubtedly, it was a difficult situation, and Ainslie's emotions were not to be brushed aside. But perhaps a different perspective would help.

"Look on the bright side. You got out of it unharmed with only a suspension. It's practically a free vacation, no? You take some time for yourself, and you'll be back at it soon. T-the school. Not the... Fight Club."

And there he was. Blabbering his mouth off again after promising that he would behave. It was all about the compromise, and it wouldn't have been called a compromise if it came naturally. But Felix gave himself a mental pat on the back. He at least recognized the problem.

"Right. What I meant to say was: you will be just fine. You're my little warrior." Genuine optimism seemed to be pouring out of him as he looked up at her, giving her a charming wink from the upside-down.

"So I will be a good boy and sit in the back while you do it. Just in case you need your muppet boyfriend, you know," he offered an unnecessary clarification.

Sometimes, he really couldn't help himself.

"You're an independent woman that is allowed to be a sad carrot whenever she wants, mind you," the beanstalk added dramatically. What would his mother think? Him behaving like this incredible girl can't handle herself as she pleases with or without him.

"But it's good to be able to let it out from time to time, and that's what I'm here for, so use me as you please."

• OMG
Reactions: Nemopedia

"I know," Fee said as he reached up to tuck a piece of Ainslie's ginger locks behind her ear. His touch was as gentle as his words. Ainslie truly was sorry. She didn't mean to pull him into this mess or to make things troublesome for him or Cal.

But she was also sorry for not being sorry to a degree. Carrow had it coming, and while Ainslie wasn't proud of succumbing to the rage because was better than that, she'd always choose to protect her friends, even if it meant screwing herself over in the process.

"But there's nothing to feel sorry for, cutie." she wasn't sure if she agreed with that statement but she certainly understood where he was coming from. "You did what you thought was the best for you. You don't get to apologize for that. Now, kicking some ass on the other hand!" he said as he rolled to the side taking the warmth he had given her with him.

Thing was, it wasn't just for her, but the continued fighting certainly was a selfish act, so she couldn't exactly refute his words. "That was dumb. Very cool, though! But also dumb," Ainslie sighed again. The best way Ainslie knew how to solve issues was with her fists. It had been that way ever since she was young.

It was something she never truly grew out of and when push comes to shove she would always rely on it. When pushed to the extreme as she had been, intoxicated or not, it was inevitable that she would swing first. For all the wealth of her knowledge of spells it just didn't serve the same purpose as fisticuffs.

Sometimes, people just needed to get their ass beat for once....

"Look on the bright side. You got out of it unharmed with only a suspension. It's practically a free vacation, no? You take some time for yourself, and you'll be back at it soon. T-the school. Not the... Fight Club." Ainslie flashed her honeyed orbs at him before shaking her head as she attempted to hide the smirk on her lips.

"Glad someone's enjoying themselves at my expense at least." she muttered quietly. "Right. What I meant to say was: you will be just fine. You're my little warrior." Fee clarified as he winked at her. The situation was ass to say the least and she thought she might be annoyed by unfound optimism but when it came from Fee it was comforting.

"So I will be a good boy and sit in the back while you do it. Just in case you need your muppet boyfriend, you know," Ainslie snorted before leaning closer to him to wrap her arms around him. "I always need you." she said as she whispered softly to him. "I just don't take joy in hurting you in the process." she admitted.

After all, the whole reason she had been avoiding him to begin with was to protect him. At least that's what she told herself she was doing. She'd hurt enough people recently and let down plenty more. She didn't want to add Felix to the list, though it had seemed she had ended up doing that regardless.

"You're an independent woman that is allowed to be a sad carrot whenever she wants, mind you," Ainslie flashed him a side glance before chuckling and shaking her head once more. "But it's good to be able to let it out from time to time, and that's what I'm here for, so use me as you please."

She appreciated all the effort he was putting into this. It was cute. "Fee?" she asked him softly as she gently turned his face to meet hers. "You're rambling again." she said with a smirk before she pressed her forehead against his and planted a soft kiss on his lips. "But thank you, for not being mad at me too and for trying to cheer me up."

but the aftertaste is

• Love