Battle of the Bands (MaryGold x lxngdon)

j a c e
Tanya looked like she was about to die of happiness when the baby was placed in her arms. Jace smiled as he watched his mother gaze upon her granddaughter, tuning out of the conversation entirely as if there was nothing but Luna in the world. If he was being honest, Jace did exactly the same thing when he held the baby.

"Maybe on their own they can't be trusted, but if they combined their forces they could be the ultimate father," Jace joked, endearingly referencing Jasper and Eadlyn. He didn't trust either of them with the baby, though.

"Well, I think we can rule out a church from our list of possible wedding venues," he said in a joking tone, though he was entirely serious. He didn't give a fuck about Embry's parents' opinions on the matter, he wasn't getting married in a fucking church.

"Get married at Disneyland," Riley interjected with a smirk. He was joking, of course, but a smile crept across Jace's face.

"That's the best idea I've ever heard. Embry, let's get married at Disneyland. If you love me, let me marry you at Disneyland," he quietly sang to the tune of This is Gospel.

"Dude, I was kidding."

"Shut up, Riley."

E M B R Y
"Disneyland? Don't you have an image to uphold?" Embry rolled her eyes at her fiance, brushing loose strands of her blonde hair from her face. The smile on her face was clearly of good-natured mockery, though."The Little Mermaid doesn't exactly perform satanic rituals." She mimicked her lover's voice playfully.

Richard rubbed his eye underneath his glasses, trying not to look distressed about the idea of their marriage. But his wife simply took a sip of lemonade nonchalantly and Clarissa snorted a laugh.

"He has a baby girl now. I'm sure it wouldn't matter at this point."

"I don't really care too much at all, we can marry in Disneyland if you wish." She kissed his cheek affectionately.​

j a c e
"Yay! Disneyland it is!"

Jace honestly doubted they'd have their wedding at Disneyland, mainly because it would be impossible to have such an affair with any form of privacy. And as proud as he was to be marrying Embry Freaking Ashford, the last thing he wanted was for their wedding to be swamped with strangers.

But it was nice to think about.

"Who's hungry?" he inquired, standing up and stretching his arms.

As if to make an input to the conversation, Luna started to cry softly and Tanya immediately handed the baby over to her mother so she could feed.

"Ah, well, unfortunately we can't all drink breastmilk. I'll order takeout. Any requests?"

"Mexican."

"Not you, Riley, you're only twelve and therefore your opinion is irrelevant."

E M B R Y
Embry smiled slightly, taking Luna in her hands and maneuvering her so she would be able to rest and feed properly. Once she had her cradled in her arms, suckling away at her mother to her heart's content, she stopped her crying. Embry made sure to pull down her a little more to cover her chest when Clarissa joined in on the decision making of their meal.

"I don't care as long as I can have something spicy."

"Well, you're a year younger than Riley so you don't count either."

"Seriously? I'm not asking for a lot here."

Embry ignored her little sister and glanced at the grandparents of the room."Is there anything you're in the mood for?" She asked, reaching over to grab a chocolate, but was stopped by Luna's whimper.

"Your father and I will be satisfied with anything, dear."

j a c e
Soon, Jace went to the door and brought back with him the huge Mexican feast he had ordered for the combined families. Riley claimed his quesadillas and Jace his extra hot ceviche, his favourite form of Mexican food. Of course, they had plenty of chips and dip to pass around, and churros for dessert.

Jace very carefully took Luna from her mother. The peaceful baby was asleep now, dozing softly, wrapped up in her blankets, so Jace very tenderly carried her up to her nursery and laid her down in the crib. He took the monitor so they could hear if she wailed.

"You're very gentle with her," Tanya noted as her older son returned to the living room.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Of course not!" Tanya looked shocked. "It's just ... you've never been very gentle with anything. And you don't look gentle. Tattoos, piercings ..."

Jace licked his lips and glanced at Richard and Vanessa, wondering what they thought about this remark. He knew his appearance probably didn't sit well with either of Embry's parents.

E M B R Y
"You do look like someone with a troubled past and or life." Embry shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, she knew that was on her parent's mind. So, she threw it out there to be clear and open. Of course, she herself couldn't see Jace any other way than the person whom she was utterly in love with. He was beautiful and graceful in his actions, his movements, his voice. Everything about him was bewitching to her. "You look like trouble."

And that was probably exactly what Richard and Vanessa were thinking. Yet, it was clear to see that Vanessa had sobered down on that belief more than her husband had. He still had many doubts and distaste.

She laid her head against his shoulder and took his hand in her own.

Richard frowned slightly at his daughter beside him then at Jace. "Hm, yes. Not very gentle, huh ...? " He mumbled to himself. "I suppose having a child, a daughter does that to you."

"What was Jace like growing up, how did he grow up?" Vanessa asked Tanya as she set down her glass.​

j a c e
Jace licked his lips and leaned back, glancing at his parents to make sure neither of them were offended by the Ashfords' comments. He knew that Vanessa and Richard were simply curious and concerned for their daughter, but it was very easy to believe they were insulting or suspicious of Tanya and Terrence.

But neither Lesecki seemed to mind.

"Well, we didn't have a lot of money and we grew up in a more dangerous neighbourhood," said Tanya conversationally, spearing a few vegetables onto her fork. "But Jace was always a good boy. He was very protective of his sisters, but also quite sensitive ... he cried when the cat died."

"Mom."

"Hush, Jace." Tanya chuckled. "He wasn't the best in school -- he had ADHD and some temper issues, very easily frustrated -- but he was always very dedicated to his music. He loved it. He would stay up in his room all night, learning classical music ... Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky ... he was always a good boy."

Tanya beamed at her son and Jace blushed slightly, happy that his mother was always so proud of him.

E M B R Y
Richard and Vanessa listened earnestly just as much as they were quiet. And Embry didn't bother watching their faces because she found herself listening to Tanya speak intently. It was endearing to her, hearing about Jace's past. Naturally, she already knew of his sensitivity for he had told her before. But, he was still sensitive now. She found it adorable.

"I love Beethoven."

"I love Beethoven."

Father and daughter said simultaneously. They loved each every one those composers mentioned, obviously. And Richard looked a little more pleased to hear anything related to classical music. Embry licked her bottom lip.

"Jace is an amazing pianist." She said to her father as his daughter, the very one who sat in front of the grand piano playing it for hours on in for years for him, she knew of his love for the instrument. "You have to hear him play, maybe Moonlight Sonata? He can play for you when Luna's no longer napping."

"Perhaps."

Vanessa shook her head slightly at her husband and child and went on speaking with Tanya. "Well, I know you must be very proud. He sounds delightful as a child. He is .. delightful as of now, too." She smiled a tiny smile.​

j a c e
Jace beamed. He could have leaped for joy -- he now had verbal confirmation of Vanessa's approval towards him, and Richard had more or less agreed to listen to Jace play piano. If he could win Embry's father over, then his life would be a whole lot easier and more pleasant.

Tanya beamed and leaned over to squeeze Jace's hand. "I am proud. My favourite son."

Riley choked on his burrito and Jace cackled. "What the hell about me?"

"You don't have a Grammy," Tanya teased, clearly joking.

"Neither does Jace!"

"Jace was nominated for a Grammy."

"Absolute bull --"

"Don't swear."

"Sorry."

Tanya turned to Vanessa and Richard. "What about Embry? What was she like as a child?"

E M B R Y
Embry raised an eyebrow as her mother leaned back in her seat between Clarissa and Richard. She made a little face, but Embry couldn't tell what it was for. The rock star knew how she was as a child, and compared to Jace, she was a little terror. And for a long time too.

Vanessa smiled a little more humorously. "She was a handful. She had a short temper with lack of control and she was also aggressive. Well, she still is aggressive to some degree. She was always so angry despite having everything." It was no secret the Ashford's came from a wealthy background. The income only increased thanks to their musical talent. Embry didn't exactly have to worry about many things when it came to financial problems.

"I wasn't angry. I was just ... " She shrugged her shoulders.

"I can't count how many times I had been called over to the school or anywhere else she 'caused trouble. She fought with the girls and the boys." Vanessa shook her head as if the whole thing gave her headache. And maybe it did. It had given her headache when it was actually happening. "It was messy and it lasted until high school. In her sophomore year she mellowed and became quieter, but after graduation she became absolutely depressed."

Embry winced at that. That time period was her relationship and breakup with Erin. And she knew her parents were confused about 'til this day because they didn't know. Clarissa did, however, and she gave her older sister a look of comfort.

"She's always been a fiercely passionate, intelligent and gentle soul." Richard concluded, "She's fragile, so we always worry. Music was her only solace, we used to play for hours and hours. She was natural bred talent."

Embry rolled her eyes. She wouldn't exactly call herself gentle. She still had no qualms against punching some jerk who deserved it. Though, they weren't all wrong.

"Yes, our house was always full with the sound of Beethoven."

j a c e
Jace listened to Vanessa and Richard talk about their daughter as a child. He had heard most of this before, and the rest he had pieced together with what he had already known, so he wasn't surprised by the Ashfords' anecdotes. Still, he held Embry close to him, protectively and soothingly. He would always be there for her -- he was marrying her, how could he not be?

It saddened Jace to know that Embry had been hurting at one stage in her life. And because a boy, a male she had loved and adored, had not treated her the way he should have. Erin should have treated Embry with the utmost respect, adoration and appreciation, like Jace did every day. For Jace it was natural, but Erin ... Erin had used her.

And Jace despised that.

"Well, it sounds like Jace and Embry have a lot more in common than we thought," remarked Tanya thoughtfully. "Jace was in a couple of fights --"

"Only with the boys who mistreated my sisters," said Jace, somewhat defensively but mostly amused, with a roll of his eyes.

"Of course, dear. Jace was so energetic, we got called up to the school at least once a month, accused of giving him too much sugar." Tanya chuckled. "We were told to put him on medication for his ADHD -- how rude."

"Well, I did take the meds for a while," Jace reminded her. "But I didn't like it -- it was like I was stuck in my own body and someone else was controlling it. It was horrible and it scared me to death. So I just stopped taking them." Jace shrugged. "I'd rather be myself and annoy people than be someone else and be scared every waking moment of my life."

E M B R Y
"I understand," Embry said somewhat quietly. She couldn't relate to the drugs exactly, but she could relate. Anyone could if they applied it correctly.

Though, his talk of hs condition as a child. Not once could she ever recalling him mentioning his ADHD. Obviously, he must have toned down since he was a child. She wasn't exactly surprised hearing his condition, and neither were her parents. He was so extroverted she could believe.

To her, it had simply been one of the many things she loved about him. She still loved all of it about him even after hearing that. It was simply still just a part of who he was.

"Not an unwise choice," Vanessa remarked, "Medication isn't always necessary, anyway. It can be horrible and make things worse."

I second that," Embry crossed her arms over her chest smoothly.

"Embry, you just hate anything medical wise in general." Mrs Ashford rolled her eyes at the blonde woman known to be her daughter. "I wonder will Luna have it as well. It is heritable."

j a c e
Jace felt bad when he realised he had never discussed his ADHD with Embry, who he was going to be marrying soon. In all honestly, he had kept quiet about it because he truly believed it was obvious. How could it not be? He was always jumping around, he could never sit still. He jumped from idea to idea and from song to song and the only truly solid, unchangeable thing in his life was his love and adoration for his daughter and his fiancee.

"Well, it's statistically more common in males than females, so there's that hope." Jace pinched the bridge of his nose out of frustration. He had never considered the possibility that he could pass this illness onto his child -- and now he felt like a fucking moron, because he had never thought about that.

"Well, we'll just have to wait until she's older so you can gave her tested," said Tanya softly. Jace knew his mother didn't see it as a big deal, since she had raised her own son with the disorder. But Jace, with ADHD, would have a hard time raising an ADHD child, and he knew that.

Once everyone was finished with dinner, Jace and Embry were washing the dishes in the kitchen and he looked at his fiancee with a pained expression. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you," he whispered, as he truly felt disgusted with himself for keeping such a huge fact about himself from her.

"It's not that I don't trust you or anything -- it's just, I genuinely thought you'd notice." Jace's voice was tight. "And ... fuck. I'm ashamed of it. It's not a good thing, it's romanticised and it shouldn't be. My music videos are so weird because my mind jumps from one thing to another and I just throw it all into one big clusterfuck of bullshit and -- ugh."

Jace leaned over onto the bench, leaning his forehead against his forearms and squinting his eyes closed. He could feel a headache coming on.

E M B R Y
Embry had just set down a glass plate in the dish rack when he began explaining himself. It really should have been clear to her, he was always hyperactive, moving around from one place to another. But to go on and assume he was ill in the are seemed wrong. Now he had confirmed it for her.

She wasn't mad or upset or disappointed. No, it didn't make much of a difference for her. She had to love him even before she knew, it wasn't as if he could switch it off so she wouldn't see it in him. Seeing how he had it since he was a child, it was part of him now.

So, no. The only thing she did feel about it was sadness. And that was only because he was so upset with it. Otherwise, she'd be completely and utterly okay.

"Hey ... " Embry spoke softly, placing her hand on his back tenderly. "It's okay."

Her fingers brushed his dark fine hair and she lowered herself to kiss the side of his head lovingly. "It's okay." She repeated, "It doesn't change anything." It truly didn't in her eyes.​

j a c e
In Jace's mind, it meant everything. It dictated how he did everything -- spontaneously, hyperactively. He could never sit still, he pranced around until he burned himself out and had to crash. It wasn't just a fun little quirk some interesting people had -- it was a mental illness and Jace hated how it was treated so lightheartedly.

But Embry still loved him somehow. Even though he had kept this massive secret from her, even though he was a freak. She still loved him. She didn't think of him any differently.

Jace could live a thousand years and never deserve Embry Ashford.

"I love you," he murmured, straightening up and pulling her into a hug. Her presence was so warming and comforting to Jace that he couldn't help but sigh in relief and relax a little. It was easy for him to forget that their families were in the next room, exchanging tales of their childhoods.

Jace leaned down and planted a tender kiss to her forehead. "I am sorry I never told you, though." He regretted that immensely. "And I'm sorry if I've passed it on to Luna."

E M B R Y
"Whether or not it's passed on to Luna, that isn't your fault." Embry put her arms around his waist and stepped on the tip of her toes to kiss him on the lips lightly. "Just like it's not your fault you have it. You should know that." It wasn't as if it was something that could be helped, and if it was, he would never do anything like that to their daughter.

"You don't have to be sorry for something like that." She smiled reassuringly, hoping to wash away his fears and doubts. "Besides, we don't even know if she does have it."

She dropped her arms from his waist and took his hand in her own."And if she does, we'll work through it then. I love you." Personally, she had no experience with any disabilities, the only knowledge of it she had was from books and classes. But she meant what she said and they would.​

j a c e

It was the big day.

After three weeks of planning, in which Jace had pulled a lot of strings to get what they wanted in time, it was the big day. They were at Disneyland but in a private hallway of the castle, and the reception would be held in the ballroom. Their closest friends and family were seated in the aisles, with a one-month-old Luna in Jace's twin Bianca's arms.

Jace, who was on the verge of a panic attack simply because he was getting married and so much was going on his ADHD couldn't let him concentrate on anything, stood at the end of the aisle as Jasper, his best man, adjusted his collar. "What if --" Jace said for the hundredth time.

And for the hundredth time, Jasper cut him off. "What if nothing. Shut the fuck up and calm down."

"Wow, you should take over Dr Phil," said Jace sarcastically.

"Thanks man."

Jace bit down on his lip ring and prayed to the Gods he didn't believe in that everything would go smoothly.

E M B R Y
"I swear to God Embry, if you puke on your dress, I'm going to choke you."

Embry ignored her baby sister's threat and straightened herself from her heave like position in which she had her hands on her knees. "I'm not going to puke, jesus." She rolled her eyes. And she wasn't, she simply had a lot of butterflies fluttering in her stomach. No, it was more like they were wrecking around inside her.

She was nervous, happy, excited and at the same time worried beyond belief. All of these emotions conflicting against each other only made her feel worse. So, she was trying her best to relax herself seeing how she would be walking down the aisle in only a few minutes from now.

Located in a hotel room only a few rooms away from the hall, Clarissa was putting the finishing touch on Embry's makeup. They could have hired a makeup artist, but the younger blonde insisted on doing it herself, wanting to help her sister anyway and every way she could. Frankly, Embry didn't mind, it was comforting.

She wore, of course, a white wedding gown, dropping at the waist, with laced sleeves. Her sister had also done her hair too, letting the blonde locks fall down her back in loosely defined curls, with a thin crystal garland as an accessory holding up her thin, sheer veil. Embry had never felt more beautiful in her entire life before.

"There. You're done."

"Good, because it's time to start," Richard said, entering the room and inhaling sharply when seeing his daughter. He looked the most emotional Embry had ever seen him. "You're beautiful."

"Thank you, papa," She smiled tenderly, taking his offered elbow and kissing him on the cheek.

Before she knew it, her sister was shoving a bouquet in her hands and the ceremony had commenced.

Last edited:
j a c e

Jace was bobbing up and down on his feet and he forced himself to stay still as the music began. His heart was hammering in his chest and a swarm of hornets were murdering the butterflies in his stomach.

But then the music started, and Jace, along with everyone else, turned and laid his eyes on the single most divine creature he had ever seen.

All of his worries and fears seeped out of Jace as he watched his bride walk down the aisle with her father. She was so beautiful. She always was beautiful, but now, walking to him, to marry him, she was easily the most beautiful she had ever been.

Jace felt his eyes spill over and a couple of the girls in the audience sighed in awe as he had to look away to wipe his tears from his cheeks. He heard Jasper chuckle slightly.

Jace turned back with a loving smile and held his hand out for Embry. The last lingering piece of worry was wondering if Richard would refuse to give his daughter away, but Jace pushed that part out of his mind.

E M B R Y
Embry had to resist the urge, the habit, to bite her lip. It was somehow always soothing to her, calming her nerves and keeping her down to earth. But it would be a flaw to do that when walking down the aisle. Fortunately for her, she didn't need to.

As soon she saw Jace at the end of aisle, waiting for her, a brilliant smile had been brought to her face. She was filled with light, so much so, there was no room for any other feeling. It all had been casted aside for the immense happiness she was feeling now. And it was just as easy to forget there were other people in the room besides the two of them.

Though, that feeling had quickly gone when she was standing in front of him and her father was taking her hand to put in his. He was hesitant, but with a light squeeze, he set her hand in the other singer's. With a gentle push to her waist he had her standing across from her groom and in front of their officiant before he moved to find his seat beside his wife, Vanessa.

Embry silently wrapped her slender guitarist fingers around his and trained her eyes on Jace. There was nothing but adoration and endearment that could be seen in them. She was happy. Happier than she had ever thought possible.