Battle Of The Bands, IC Thread

As the elevator descended, the sounds of a concert could be heard. Rex came out of the lift, and stood at the door, listening to the song. He nodded along to the beat, as if it was a quiet song at a cafe. Perhaps having another drummer wouldn't be too bad.... Who knows. Rex decided to go in, so he could hear the song better. He slipped inside, and stood by the door, leaning up against the wall. Live music, no matter the genre, always seemed to make him happy. Maybe it was because of the energy, maybe because of the hours of work taht had to be used up to make these songs and instruments. All that work... For this music.... Worth it.

"Look at them go.."
"Yeah.. Brings back a lot of memories, huh?"

Standing at the back of the crowd was a male not older than twenty with hands on his waist and his hazel eyes intensely observing the band before them. Forked tongue licking his lower lip in agreement and part envy, he chuckled at his companion's comment. "You're not going to start again with this, are ya?" With the best smug look he could offer, he gave his female companion a noogie. The shorter girl squealed, as she tried to fix her short, brown hair. She held onto the male's arm to hug it tightly, the guitar case strapped on her back tilting as she did so.

"Enrique-boo.."
"We've talked about this Darcy.."
"Aww! But didn't it give you just an itsy-bitsy hint of sweet nostalgia of the things that we used to do back then?"
"Daaaaarcyyyy..."

Whining as he tried to pull his arm away from her grasp and failing miserably, he sighed, shoulders slumping in discouragement upon giving up. To most people, it would be unusual to see a young man avoid intimate affection from a girl as pretty as her, but then again, Enrique has his reasons.. Valid reasons. The girl was.. Well.. Though they had something between them a few years back, she became a different person to him now, and it all started when both of their single parents decided to remarry and be with each other. Eying the band again in sheer envy, he sighed for the second time, with it even heavier than the last.

"I know what you're thinking." Darcy prodded on, pinching her stepbrother's cheek lovingly. "Don't fret about it! You'll find one someday.." Upon hearing this, Enrique scoffed. "Easy for you to say since you got in on our school band. It's just so unfair that girl musicians - especially when they play decent stuff or if they're pretty - or both, get to be picked first in auditions. I mean what's the deal? It's so unfair.." Exhaling quite heavily through his nose, Enrique grumbled about, while his stepsister giggled at the indirect compliment.

"I really wish I could be in a band.. Not just as a backup, but to actually be in it, you know?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex smiled at the reptilian man speaking to his partner/sister. "Lookin for a band, huh? I could.... help with that." Rex spoke in a dark tone, as if he was a devil buying souls. He cracked his neck, and extended a hand.
"The name's Rex Davidson." Rex smirked, then a true smile began to creep in at the corners of his mouth. He chuckled, then shook his head.
"Really though, I'm assembling a band, if you're interested."

((sorrrrry for the shortness, my kindle hates my writing, and will stop at nothing to put a damper on it.))

((I didn't even know you could use Kindle to post! That's so cool! X'D))

"Wha!" Said the girl, turning back to see a winged man right beside her. She blinked twice, mouth slightly ajar, and took a few seconds to marvel at his shiny, feathered wings. She always wanted to have one of those, but mostly to give justice to her and her stepbrother's part-time music duo: "SkySerpentine." His offer immediately caught the reptilian's attention. Bending forward a bit, he took a good look at the person beside the girl. Did someone just answer his prayers?

"'Tis for real, bro?" He asked wide-eyed, excitement bubbling in his gut after indeed seeing someone willing to offer him assistance. The bluenette immediately extended his right hand to shake the crow's, with Darcy's own delicate ones finally releasing his arm.

"Enrique Valentine. And this is my sister here, Darcy. Pleased to meet you!"

With Darcy's arms folding and her lips forming a cute pout, she feigned hurt. "- Stepsister." She corrected him softly, stressing the idea that they were not blood related. But to show at least some respect, she gave Rex her sweetest smile and held the hem of her dress to curtsy for him all the while mouthing a silent "I love your wings" at him.

"- Not much of a difference to me." Enrique swiftly replied to the girl's snide comment, glancing at her for half a second before turning his eyes back at Rex. "But yes! I am interested in being part of a band." He nodded at the crow, enthusiasm evident in his features. Beside him, Darcy made one final comment mostly to herself but still made it audible for the two boys to hear, "- It is so when you were my boyfriend before our parents decided to marry. Hmp." Turning, the female scoffed and resumed in watching the band before her, pretending to be uninterested in Enrique's conversation with Rex. The said ex-boyfriend-now-stepbrother rubbed the back of his head and winced a little, right before turning his attention back at Rex while smiling sheepishly.

"Sorry about that."

Rex smiled again, part at the compliment, part at their excitement. "Perfectly fine, Enrique. Sisters, or, Stepsisters, apparently, can be a bother. Trust me, I feel your pain, man." His eyes darted over to the band on stage, then back to Enrique and Darcy. "So what do ya play? What genres?" He grinned, and straightened his shirt.
"Personally, I play saxophone and I sing."

((why must the kindle software want me to suffer.))

Enrique laughed a little at the crow's reassurance. He had a point there though admittedly, Darcy had been a great help to him at times. Perhaps life was just all about ups and downs.

Surprised that his stepsister did not even react to that when she usually does, Enrique assumed that she thought Rex was her type or somewhat close to that, which was why she let it slide. The young man shrugged it off. "That sounds cool! Are you into jazz?" He asked, quite impressed as jazz was a genre that is quite sophisticated and needs a lot of studying like classical music. Enrique continued. "I mostly play the electric, classic, and bass guitars." He exclaimed quite happily, but then stopped when he realized how "common" guitarists were. The reptilian then decided to back it up. "But I'm a hybrid picker so I can play lead and rhythm at the same time, and also serve as a second lead and rhythm guitar player in case of progressive metal music. I sing as well - either lead or second voice - whichever is required of me, and I play drums whenever needed." Propping a finger on his chin at the idea, Enrique thought of more things he could possibly offer. After all, he wasn't called a "Backup Man" by his friends for nothing. "I'm also a music arranger on the sidelines and do compositions as well - may it be writing lyrics or creating a melody.." He finished with that, thinking if ever the slots for musicians end up being full, he could still contribute without using an instrument. Yes, he was that desperate to be a part of a group.

((It's no big deal ^_^ At least you could post.))

Rex stood there, and popped his lips. "Well then. I think you're more qualified than I am." He laughed again, and grinned goofily. Rex started out the door, then gestured for Enrique to follow. He closed it behind them, and led Enrique and Darcy to a hall nearby. Rex rummaged through his pockets, and took out the stub of a pencil. It wasn't a very good one in the first place, but now with all of those people writing with it? It was nearly useless. Hopefully it'd be enough for Enrique, though. The paper was worn too, the pages crumpled a bit, and the remaining empty ones falling off. Rex gently pulled one of the empty pages to the front, and handed him the stub of a pencil. "Name, way I can reach you, and musical talents, please!"

Following the crow through the door, Enrique almost tripped at his comment, suddenly feeling embarrassed. It was evident that he cannot handle compliments well. He stuttered an excuse, earning Darcy's attention as she continued to lag behind the two.

"I-I'm not sure about that.. I've never really been in a band. Well, I did once but it quickly got disbanded after one gig. We thought we would 'click' but.." He shrugged and trailed off, not wanting to continue with the story. It wasn't really a good experience.. He and Darcy couldn't stand the lead vocalist's attitude and the rest of the group felt the same. But other than that, their drummer had to move to a different school anyway and so did his brother, the bassist. They weren't able to get more members after that. Arriving at a more quiet place, he felt Darcy's chin rest on his shoulder as she eyed Rex curiously when he tried to look for something. His wings really fascinated her.

"..some of us had to move to a different school so the schedules made it difficult." Enrique finished, leaving behind the other details regarding personality problems. He wasn't even sure if he should be talking about this to Rex as this should be left in the past. But he said it anyway, so there was no turning back. It's not as if he backstabbed anyone, right? As he was handed a piece of paper and pencil, he wasn't even able to notice how it looked as he was busy reminiscing about his past. He was still able to say a quick "thanks" to Rex though.

"I had to learn to be more flexible musicwise, so I tried subbing for my friends' bands whenever someone's unavailable. Anything to be in the music industry.." He said with a sigh as he scribbled down his full name, mobile phone number and the list of things he could offer to the band. Darcy, still with her chin on his shoulder, continued to peer down on her stepbrother's notes. She feigned a cute frown while pouting a little.

"Aww.. From where this is going and if ever you get accepted, I think we're going to end up being rivals now.." She said softly, hands clasped behind her and her guitar. It was true, since she is also part of a band. This struck Enrique quite a bit, and with that, he felt a little sad. This was going to be the first time he and Darcy would be playing for separate groups. They have always been together until now. Handing the paper and pencil back at Rex with a smile, he tried to think of anything to comfort her. This was also the first time he had failed terribly in coming up with reassurance.

"Well, if one of your bandmates get attracted to you, he would be required to get to know me first." He said firmly, though he felt his voice waver a bit. He will surely miss her. Darcy only laughed and skipped to his side to punch his arm playfully yet gently. "I should be saying the same thing." She said cheerfully, though Enrique knew deep down that she was as concerned as him. Darcy then turned to look at Rex. "So, when would the auditions be? And is it okay to watch?"

But even before Rex could make a response, Enrique butted in, as if to add a suggestion. "Or better yet, is it okay if she helps me out?" Earning a confused look from his stepsister, Enrique just gave her a quick smile. This might be their last performance together anyway, since she would eventually be busy with her own band. The reptilian added, "I mean, you know.. For a better effect in vocal blending when I'm auditioning as second voice.." He said, giving Rex the pleading eye. In his peripheral view, he could have sworn he saw Darcy look down to try and hide a smile he knew was there as she nervously fiddled with her delicate fingers.

((So sorry T_T I tend to go overboard with the post length...))

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex stood there, and listened to Enrique ramble on. Of course, he did the same thing sometimes. "Well, if you need her with ya, then sure." Rex looked over the sheet, and nodded. "Looks good, by the way. Auditions are tomorrow, conference room f9, 10:00 in the morning." He noticed Darcy staring at his wings, and grinned at her. "You can touch them, if you want. I don't really mind."

In his head, Rex's mind was going a million miles an hour. -Rex. You have a gang of people trying to get into YOUR BAND. WHICH YOU HAVENT EVEN BLOODY NAMED! Half the people are more qualified than you, and the other half are just as good. You are in over your head, man. But, it'll work out. It always does in the end. BUT STILL! You'll have to do a head count, or something. There's 5? 7? More than that, I think. Hell, I lost count!-

Hearing Rex's permission, Enrique resisted the urge to punch the air and just rejoice. "Thanks man." He calmly responded as he grinned quite goofily. However, that grin gradually disappeared when he also gave Darcy the permission to touch his wings. Seeing her eyes widen in glee, Enrique panicked.

"Wait! I wouldn't say that if I were... you." But it was too late, Darcy had already disappeared from his side. Enrique deadpanned. The girl was already hugging the guy from behind. Of course, that was to be expected from someone who has seen a winged person face to face for the first time, right?

"You are so beautiful! And soft! And not to mention handsome.. Beautifully handsome! Plus the fact that you sing and play the saxophone makes you incredibly sexy - grr just my type!" The girl rambled on, nuzzling her cheeks against the black feathers. Enrique could have sworn he felt his left eye twitch. Was he jealous?

"Okay, that's enough young lady. Time to go home." He said firmly as he pulled his squealing stepsister off Rex's back. There wasn't even a band yet, and Rex already had a fangirl. That was enough to make Enrique slightly jealous, though he really shouldn't be.

"Thanks a lot Rex! Sorry for the trouble.. But we'll see you tomorrow at ten!" His goofy grin back on his face, he gave Rex a small nod as he held Darcy back by her shoulders before turning to leave.

"Can he be my next boyfriend?"
"NO."
"Please, big brother?"
"Now you call me your big brother..."

Rex wasn't expecting this. He expected for her to just do... not that. As she hugged him, he tensed up, and looked over to Enrique. "Does she do this often?" He mouthed. Rex's eyes widened as he felt her nuzzle one of his wings. "Help me. Please." He mouthed again. Enrique finally got Darcy off of him, and they started to leave.

"Alright, then. See ya tomorrow!" He nodded as well, then went back inside the concert room. The band was winding down, but were still playing. The music was still pretty good, and let Rex think in silence. It was hard to speak, or be spoken to while a band is playing.

((Ooc: Will make this shorter cause I am late already, sorry if it sucks but I think we should move on))

As the concert reached it's closure, the singer's voice was heard again. "Thank you awesome people!" The crowd bursted into another applause and whistles. Skylar laughed and whistled along the way. The second singer added. "Thank you for making this the best night ever before the start of our career as a true band." The crowd cheered. "Thanks to our talented band members..." He pointed towards the people behind the bass, electric guitar, keyboard and then pointed towards Skylar, grinning. "And of course, special 'Thank you' for our girl here that saved our asses many times before. Couldn't have done it without you, toots." Skylar nooded and saluted casually before getting up and giving a lout "woot" to the crowd follewed by a "rock on" hand sign. "Hell yeah!" She shouted when the crowd responded in the same fashion. Even thought she was much aware taht once again she was left on her own, feeling of doing something like this was priceless and she was convinced she would do it again. The cheering continued for a long time.

The night was still young for Skylar when the band finally departed. Even though most of people were pretty much tired, Skylar felt freash and fulfiled. She stretched lightly and walked back into the hotel once she said 'farewell' to the band. More or less she was pleased all was over and that it went just fine. The hall was pretty much empty as the young people were mostly in the concert room for an after drink or already asleep. The empty spot on the couch in the hall attracted her more than a full concert room, so she grabbed a beer and sank into the comfortable seat, humming a song. All and all, it was a good night.

((Sorry for not posting, folks :oc))

As the band came to a stop, Rex wandered back to the empty halls. He noticed the drummer, and wandered over. "Hiya. You were fantastic up there by the way." Rex grinned, music nearly always put him in a good mood.

*-(#)-*-(#)-*-(#)-*-(#)-*-(#)-*-(#)-*

On nearly the other side of the island, doctors and interns, nurses and volunteers gazed in wonder at what they saw. Telescopes had been set up a while ago, so that if anything else got close, they could spot them. Another floating island was drawing near, its underside covered in fans and engines. The citizens of the new island must have motorised their home... Why? Perhaps to escape from the killer storms that terrorised the skies. Perhaps to find other cities. Perhaps to...

Charlie sat on her bed, exhausted from a day full of shopping and work at the local coffee shop. She flopped on her bed, listening to the music from her dad's guitar downstairs as she drifted off.

Before she went totally unconscious, a light glinted outside in the evening light. Curious, Charlie looked out the window, only to be met with the sight of another floating island, this one with what seemed to be motors attached to it for mobility. Charlie gasped. Well, you don't see that everyday, she thought.

"Hiya. You were fantastic up there by the way." Drinking another sip, Skylar scratched her head and looked at the newcommer. She narrowed her eyes studying the guy briefly, before she grinned, her fangs revealing lightly. "Why thank you, cute face." Even though maybe considered rude, flirting was her way of fun and she chuckled. "Glad you enjoyed it. Was the last time I do it with those guys anyway." She smirked faintly and finished her beer, throwing the beer can into the trash can next to her. "Good to see you all hype about it." She scratched her head and turned towards the guy. "Um, sorry, who are you again?"

"Rex Davidson. I'm actually putting together a band, and I wanted to know if you'd be interested in joining..." He smiled, and handed her a piece of paper with the place and time for the auditions. "Last time doing it with them? And why's that?"

--

As the new island drew near, it slowed, and came to a stop. By now, it was about 100 meters out, and still drifting slowly. If you were at the edge of the island, you could make out people there, bustling and waving. If someone was so inclined, a someone with wings could make their way across. Perhaps some crows would pass across, and make contact. A new group of people... Perhaps even a new culture! Then again, they could be just passing through, or looking for food and drink. If so, it could be sold or traded, and life, ((plus hopefully them,)) would move on.

"Go to bed, sis!" Enrique called out as he stared at the ceiling of his bedroom, his consciousness starting to waver from exhaustion. Though he is already sprawled in bed and ready to sleep, he could still hear noises coming from his stepsister's room. He was positively sure that she was preparing her clothes for tomorrow's audition.

"In a jiffy!" She responded, though the noises did not stop. It sounded like she was rummaging through her closet, basked in typical womanly indecisiveness - or at least that's how he perceived it.

Sighing it off, the reptilian turned to his side and grabbed the extra pillow nearby to cover his head. It was a bit too early to sleep now, but they have already agreed to wake up very early in the morning to mix the songs they would be performing at the audition. Closing his eyes, he tried to shut his hearing off and began to count sheep in his mind instead. If he wanted his voice to be in perfect condition for tomorrow, then he at least has to try and sleep early..

((Well shit. Looks like Ritual is out of town. Sorry for the ooc post.))

Morning came with thunder rolling into a Ziel's ears. She groaned. She wasn't a morning person. The fact that it was pouring and the air was cool and fresh seemed to did not help. Nothing could change that. Even the audition.

She trudged out of bed and got ready. Refreshed and clad in a gray hoodie, electric blue t-shirt, black Bermudas and a raincoat, she slipped into her slippers (She liked jumping into puddles. Couldn't help it. She had never gotten sick doing that.). It was time to go. She wrapped her instrument cases (She made one for the amp.) tight with plastic and made her way to the Crow's Nest. She didn't want her babies to get wet.

((thank you so much for the post, erayandor))

Rex hadn't slept the night. Too much was running through his mind. Being a crow did suck sometimes, but flight was a good way to think. Only problem was, you can't very well fly when it's raining. Rex had to make do with walking. It wasn't the same. He checked his watch, and started to walk back to the Crow's Nest. He'd need to set up the room, and get food for himself, then a bowl of mnms and skittles.

He went under the overhang, and shook his wings off, then entered the Crows Nest. Instantly, he went to the kitchen, and leaned up against the door frame. "Could I get a bag of skittles and mnms, a bowl, and whatever you're serving for breakfast?" "Yup." "Thanks." Rex waited, watching the guy cook. He'd always wanted to learn how, but never had the time. "Thanks." He took the stuff from the chef, and walked to conference room f9.

Inside, he ate, looking about the room. How was he going to pull this off...