Battle Of The Bands, IC Thread

Denziel was wandering about in the unfamiliar streets with her bass strapped to her back, amplifier in one hand and her trombone in the other, thinking of where she would busk next. She needed the money. Badly. All that she had earned from the little time in the band and her savings flew away when she bought a small apartment. Perhaps a hotel... The Crow's Nest? It was popular and the place was a little more familiar than the others having performed in it with the band.

Why not?

Clad in a red jacket and white Bermudas she walked to the hotel. Luckily it was just a few blocks away. She got stares all along the way. That was normal. Some people offered to help her with her instruments saying that a twelve year old girl shouldn't be carrying so many heavy items. That was also normal. Judging Ziel's petite body, this sixteen year old looked twelve. Wow.

She was there. There was a small group of people and music. There was also a spray painted sign which read: 'Band Auditions'. She freaked out. Well, she freaked out a lot.

Denziel 'ran' to the booth. She didn't run as fast so that her babies wouldn't fall or get hurt. Out of habit and well, manners, she waited until Charlie finished shaking hands with Rex.

"Hey, I'm Denziel Tay, Ziel for short. May I sign up?"

Nikolai muttered a 'Thanks' as he stood up from his seat, and continue his walk to his work place. Deep inside, he felt excited. He knew his father would be proud of him. As he arrived at his work place, his boss was already there, changing the strings of a guitar that was sent in yesterday. His boss looked up from his work a gave Nikolai a nod. Nikolai's boss, the owner of the instrument shop, Alexei, was two years older than Nikolai. The instrument shop is a family business, passed down to Alexei.

"You're later than usual... You'll always be earlier than me. Luckily, I had the extra key." Alexei smirked, holding up the key that opens the front door of the shop. Usually, Nikolai would arrive earlier than Alexei and open up the shop for the day. Nikolai walked past the brunette to place his guitar in the recording studio. He walked back to the front and took a seat next to Alexei, watching him change the guitar strings. "I signed up for a band audition. The dude said he'll call me later. I played him the demo I was working on."

"That's good! You'll get in for sure~" Alexei said in a heavy Russian accent, Alexei smiled at Nikolai. "Now get back to work. We won't get customers if you don't sweep the floors at the front! Clean the display windows as well, Nikolai!"

Nikolai chuckled and nodded, getting up to get a broom to sweep at the front door.

Rex handed Denziel the sheet, and sat back down. "Well, it seems that there'll be plenty of people in this band.... more than I was expecting, to be honest. I'm Rex, and you are?" He seemed to be put in a good mood by all the people who had stopped by, and his wings were slowly extending and retracing over and over again. The feathers of said wings fluttered in the breeze, and were distracting to the passersby.

"Denziel. Denziel Tay. You can call my Ziel for short though. On the tenor trombone and bass guitar."

Ziel smiled. Finally a band. She was loving these people already. They were as passionate about music as her. She tucked her hair behind her ear and wrote the information down. Maybe it was fate.

Charlie finished writing down her information on the sheet that Rex had provided, then smiled. "When are auditions? Maybe you already said but I forget easy." Charlie laughed, handing over the information sheet to Rex.

Looking over the two girls info, he smiled back at Charlie, "Thank you, Ziel. The auditions? Uh, I don't know yet!" He chuckled, then talked on. "I'll send out an en-masse message to you all with the details. Expect it to be sent soon!"

Last edited:
"You're welcome! I'll be waiting for the massage. By the way, I would be busking around... Everywhere. So if you see me feel free to say hi." Beamed Ziel.

She walked to someplace out of Rex's sight, trying to be really
calm. Keyword: trying.

Maybe she would busk somewhere else like Roy's pizza place...

Shouting leaked out as Eteri opened the front door of her house. She closed the door quickly and sighed. Today her parents were fighting about who was paying more of the bills. At least they weren't being as loud as yesterday. The girl pulled on her shirt, making sure the tan tail was hidden well enough before heading out. The brunette had gone out to go 'job hunting' or at least look for establishments that needed workers. This wasn't what she had originally imagined life after high school would be like, but when had anything every been what she had imagined?

As she walked, she noticed a winged man holding auditions for some sort of band. She hesitated. The drum sticks she carried around in her back pocket seemed to stick out more as she almost stared at the strange little stand. First of all, the man had his wings out. She had seen others with animal traits like herself, sure, but the wings just put her on edge. how could they be so... so forward with these strange new additions? The other thing that she noticed was the fact that, yes, people were actually trying to become part of a band. The idea of being in a band was so enticing. Smashing away to bring in the backbone beat or even adding a gentle feel with the piano, possibly harmonizing with her naturally lower voice... it was a dream never meant to come true. She was looking for a job, damn it, not trying to do something she'd never manage. She didn't notice that she had just been standing there, staring as she tried to get herself to move along and find an actual paying job.

Reactions: 2 people
Leaning back, his wings pressed for balance against the wall, he relaxed somewhat. Rex put his headphones back on, and sighed happily. This was the life. Wind in your hair and feathers, a band coming together around you, and good music in your ears. If the band truly took off, then perhaps they could keep it going for a while. Otherwise, it might fall apart, and the group would be broken, soon after its creation. Rex hummed quietly, the music taking him out of reality.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Eteri found herself walking over to the sign ups area, her tail twitching in excitement. She tried to get it to still, not wanting the appendage to sneak out of her shirt. The boy wasn't even paying attention. He was listening to music. Eteri felt very out of place as she tapped a quick beat on the stand. "U-um..." She cleared her throat, trying to get his attention. "You're l-looking for people for a band?" She was quiet as she put her hands behind her back, stilling the twitching tail. the tuft tickled her skin, making her stiffen as she tried to act like she was a normal human.

She was crazy. The brunette felt like she had gone insane as she looked between the sign-up sheet and the boy. She shouldn't be doing this. She should have been off at a different store looking for a job she would slave away at for the rest of her short life. But no, she decided she was going to talk to wing boy over here and ask about being in a band. Her teachers would have been so proud.

Charlie, seeing as the rest of the people looking to join the band had left, decided to take off herself. She didn't know were to go, seeing as she had no purpose to be achieved that day. Although, she did need to pick up something at the grocery store. And the pharmacy. She had better get going if she was going to make it home for lunch.

"It was really nice meeting you! Just let me know when auditions are by text." She said as she wrote down her phone number on the sign-up sheet and smiled. She stood and walked away, seeing another girl walk up as she walked away. She looked pretty shy, but Charlie was proud that someone who was obviously nervous actually was willing to do something like this. Something crazy and spontaneous, like joining a band. Charlie gave a wide smile to the girl before running down the street, her headphones back in her ears as she went down the street, passing Roy's Pizza as she went. She slowed when she went by, taking in the good smells of her favorite pizza place, and found herself walking into the restaurant. When she passed by one of the booths, the brunette stopped and smiled, recognizing the loud red jacket of Denziel, one of the girls who had also applied for the band. She held out her hand and introduced herself, taking out her headphones as she spoke to the younger looking girl.

"Hi, there. I'm Charlie. I recognized you from the band sign-ups. You're Denziel, right? Sorry for interrupting your lunch." She asked politely of the girl.

"Hey Charlie! It's fine. I just started eating. Roy treated me to a pepperoni because I worked rather well attracting people here. You can call me Ziel by the way. Come sit with me. Wanna have a piece?" Ziel smiled, bits of pizza stuck in her mouth.

"So what brings you here?", she asked, shaking Charlie's hand.

She accepted Ziel's invitation to sit and shook her hand. "Thanks." She said as she took a slice of pizza, taking a large bite before answering her question. "Just stopping in. I was actually on my way to the supermarket but I got sidetracked by the smell of pizza and found myself in here!" Charlie responded, wiping her oily fingers on a napkin.

"Cool. Roy's pizzas are pretty awesome." Beamed Denziel, she really did love the way the pizza had just the right amount of cheese and a very generous amount of toppings. "Maybe we could jam sometime together? I hope the auditions would be sooner. I need a band."

She took another slice. Ziel really hoped to be in the band. Especially if the people were this nice and friendly. It would be nice to have another family in this place.

((goddamnit why cant my life frigging settle down, sorry for delay))

"Oh, well, yeah!" Rex took the headphones off, and smiled slightly. "My name, is Rex Davidson. And you are?" He was still relaxed, leaning slightly back in his chair. Taking the pad out, for what hopefully would be the last time today, he scooted it across the table to her. "Name, way I can message you, and instrument, please!" The pad was covered in information now, each page holding one person's writing. Noticing Eteri's tense-ness, he smiled comfortingly, and retracted his wings.

Charlie smiled at Ziel, completely agreeing with her. "That would be sweet! Just warning you though, I don't play bass." She said chuckling as she gestured to the guitar slung across her back.

Charlie stood and finished her slice of pizza, feeling full and happy from the slice. "Well, I have to get going. I have to get to shopping before it gets dark. It was nice talking to you, Ziel!" She said as she walked out the door in the direction of the store. Charlie hoped Rex would call soon. She didn't want to spend the rest of her life getting groceries and walking around aimlessly.

((It's fine!))

Eteri smiled back before introducing herself. "Eteri. Eteri Dohrn." She let one hand go as she wrote down her name, home phone number, and her instruments. Piano and drums the two percussion instruments that always had made her feel more confident. "I'm also an alto for singing..." She rubbed the back of her head as she put the pen down, letting go of her tail. The appendage started to slip out of her shirt, only for her to grab it quickly. She gave a nervous chuckle as she wrapped her tail back around her waist. This was just a strange, strange predicament she had herself in.

"Alto singer, piano, and drums? Fantastic." Rex smiled, then noticed her tail. "Why hide it? Nothing to be ashamed of... Hell, half the population around here changed somewhat!" He smiled, and laughed during his words. "Do you have anything to play here? I'd really like a demo of your skills. If you don't have one, thats fine."

Eteri relaxed somewhat and shrugged. "Habit, I guess..." She looked around before noticing quite a few buckets and a shopping cart all stacked up near the signups. She smiled before grabbing the different items and setting them up like a drum set. She tested them out, making sure they were stable and everything wouldn't move before starting her little 'demonstration'.