Batman VS. Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
To you and everyone else on the fence about watching this movie, particularly after hearing reviews and critiques:

Go see it yourself.

There's this new phenomena where you either love or hate something. This movie really is right down the middle for me and I feel for a lot of people. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not good either. It's a strong "mmmmmmmmmeeehhhokay."

So yeah, go see it, and form your own opinion! As you've seen in this thread alone, people hate Jesse Eisenberg and Batfleck, but others love them in this movie. We all got our own opinion for the movie. :)
This man speaks the truth. Go see it yourself. It gives me, ultimately, the same vibe that Man of Steel did: It's not my Superman, but then, it doesn't have to be my Superman.

(Albeit, the editing in this movie is just horrible, so, I'd recommend waiting until you can watch it for free rather than spending a movie ticket price on it. But, eh', every person has their own definition of value, so...)

I'm going to go see it soon (early showing o.e) and at first I thought it would be fun but then I stumbled across an article and now it sounds like the movie is going to be a bit of a dry experience. Even the actual fight scene didn't get much of an approval rating. I mean, I love the down and the gritty, and I've seen violent batmans (the Batman in particular was based off the version where Batman is supposed to be retired but comes back at the rise of the Mutants Gang-- he was violent but he didn't kill, and didn't see guns as appropriate weaponry, calling them loud and clumsy (there was also a girl Robin and the Red Mask dude who is like some love child of Spider-Man and Deadpool <3)), so I don't mind that. But that that was also a good Superman vs. Batman movie. This one seems unfocused and overstretched, exploring too many themes and doing very few justice.

But again, I haven't seen the movie so I'm catiously hoping, by some miracle, it turns out better e.e Or maybe I'll ditch the Superman versus Barman franchise and become a straight up feminist for Wonder Woman «3

What I learned from this experience: if Hulk fucks a Troll from Lord of the Rings their baby will be... Doomsday...?

#WONDERWOMANFEMENIST

To you and everyone else on the fence about watching this movie, particularly after hearing reviews and critiques:

Go see it yourself.

There's this new phenomena where you either love or hate something. This movie really is right down the middle for me and I feel for a lot of people. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not good either. It's a strong "mmmmmmmmmeeehhhokay."

So yeah, go see it, and form your own opinion! As you've seen in this thread alone, people hate Jesse Eisenberg and Batfleck, but others love them in this movie. We all got our own opinion for the movie. :)

Kind of late don't you think :P

EDIT: But to expand on my post:

Casting was good, the movie was pretty and what I'd expect from the guy who worked on Sucker Punch style wise, but sometimes I just did not know what was going on or why it was going on.

Bruce's back story was unneeded and the time it took could have been better spent on focusing on better establishing their version of the Bat (but was pretty to watch).You know what? The whole experience could been better if the gave Batfleck a stand alone movie before they decided to pin him against Superman. I don't feel like there was enough build on the villan, I don't feel like they properly lead up to the battle, the flow of the movie, overall, was choppy at best, they didn't do the "mirroring" right (at least it seemed to me they were trying to show the audience that Superman and Batman despised each other for what they see in themself but fell short), the actual Superman vs. Batman battle was a bit "clunky" to me, the reason for them to stop fighting felt weak to me (or at least could have been handled better(?)), the whole "I'm a friend of your son's " seemed off considering they were just trying to kill each other but bonding over their mother sharing the same name makes it okay? Honestly, they could have gotten away with simply showing Bruce caring that Superman's mother was about to be killed because he knew what that felt like. The relationship between the Bat and Superman could been better supported by "know thy enemy". I get the vague impression they tried to base their relationship on this but glazed over this or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. The drama between Superman, Batman, vs Public also could have been better handled. Also, the dream sequence thing. When did iron man become a DC character and why the hell did the witch send her flying monkeys after Batman, who, by the way, was wearing gear over his gear? That could been dwelled on a bit more because I was honestly confused by suddenly going from watching Bruce watch a timer to him overlooking a post apocalyptic world. That could have deffinely been better handled and deserved some kind of reaction from the Bat. Also, what the hell is up with Doomsday?! Instead of looking like some sort of cross between a Kryptonian and a human, both of which were humoid and had some kind of level of intelligence, all of which could have lended itself to a whole different take on this character to go with his rather strange new origin story, he came off as more of a cross between the Hulk (more so in action) and a troll from Lord of the Rings (definitely in appearance).

Wonder Woman was probably the best thing that came out of this movie and she is now my goddess.

Sorry if this sounded odd, I'm the not the best at wording myself v.v;

Last edited:
What I learned from this experience: if Hulk fucks a Troll from Lord of the Rings their baby will be... Doomsday...?

Personally, I would have preferred them fighting a Balrog.

But yeah. I agree with most of what's been said in this thread, criticisms and praises alike. I don't think there was ever going to be a way for these DC movies to not be divisive. The characters (particularly the ones featured in this movie) are so iconic and such important symbols in comic books and pop culture that any attempt to portray them differently from how they have traditionally been characterized will not be well received. They either could have made a movie that adhered to any number of the previous stories told about these characters or taken things in another direction knowing that a lot of people would hate it. Obviously they chose to do the latter.

It doesn't help that the movie was so incoherent the elements it did have working in it's favor hardly meshed, but to me it wasn't the death knell some people were predicting (or hoping) it would be for the DCEU. It works, just not very well.

Moving on from my not-exactly-glowing-but-nevertheless-favorable review of the movie in general, I will just say that I had misgivings about Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman going into this and I'm delighted to now have those doubts relieved. Still, it was a fairly small part this time around with limited chances to screw things up. My hope is she continues to be good moving forward and in her standalone picture.

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Honestly, I would have loved the characters in this movie, if they were handled better. We saw this Superman in Man of Steel and I honestly liked that movie. But in this movie I'm not sure what to think about him. They some how made it seem like he was both indifferent to the consequenses to his actions and conflicted, but they just didn't seem to explore this well enough and when they do... boom he's surrounded by flame, blink he's apparently missing, flash he's on a mountain? The talk with his father was a nice touch, I just wish it was handled better and in a less random way (or at least showing him leaving the courthouse. Thirty seconds could have went a long way). Batman even less explored. Instead of taking up screen time establishing something we already know [spoiler: Batman is an orphan] they could have taken the time to show how Robin died and how that effected him. Instead, we're left to assume Robin dying was what lead Bruce to take on a more bdutal way of dealing with Gotham and its crime problem.

So, since I didn't take the time to clearify this: the characters are interesting (even the villain), the casting was a good choice, they're just spoiled by a bad script and bad pacing/bad whatever-they-did-with-those-scenes. Also, as I mentioned before, they could have done so much more with Doomsday. You can't just give a character like that a new backstory and not show a new take to go along with it.

EDIT: SPEAKING OF CHARACTERS WHERE THE HELL IS GORDON? He could have probably balanced out the politics going on with Superman or something (though now that I think about it, it's probably good he was left put of the mix).

Last edited:
EDIT: SPEAKING OF CHARACTERS WHERE THE HELL IS GORDON? He could have probably balanced out the politics going on with Superman or something (though now that I think about it, it's probably good he was left put of the mix).

Jenna Malone was cast and filmed scenes as Barbara Gordon, but was ultimately removed in edits. She's supposed to show up in the uncut, R-rated edition they are going to release.

I'll also say that characterization suffered in this movie because they had several huge characters all competing for screen time. I don't feel this should have been a surprise to anyone after the movie was first announced. By not making a straight sequel to Man of Steel, Supes lost out on a lot of development that was very much needed but couldn't fit easily into BvS. Likewise, as an introduction to this Batman it felt lacking because he was forced to serve a bunch of wildly disjointed plot lines and got no time to be more fully fleshed out.

Since they can't just copy the Marvel blueprint, WB/DC ends up working themselves into a box by trying to include multiple characters in single movies instead of giving them each standalone features. I'm not sure how they can make that work, but it's not like they haven't had time to figure it out and plan something that meshes together and isn't so messy.

Jenna Malone was cast and filmed scenes as Barbara Gordon, but was ultimately removed in edits. She's supposed to show up in the uncut, R-rated edition they are going to release.

I was talking about the police commissioner, James Gordon o.o

EDIT: Truth be told, if they left out Wonder Woman, as great as she was, they could have spent a lot more time focusing on Batman and Superman. I mean, the movie was about them. Though I can also see the reason they included her and that was to balance out Louis Lane's role in the film. Batman would have still found that file without her (a lot faster if she hadn't snatched it from him like the sly Fox she apparently is :3). They probably also needed Wonder Woman because they couldn't figure out a way to justice Batman's role in the fight - with the whole him needing Kryptonite to weaken Superman just to even the playing field (in the animated movie, the armored Bat did just fine without resorting to using kryptonite and... bullets... did this Bruce not do any research?), but since Doomsday was created with human DNA that could have been a good reason for the Armor Bat to be able to go one on one with him (or at least aid Superman better). They could of have also avoided him ditching the spear in the first place and skip the whole Lois Lane needing saving (again).

Also, while a lot of Marvel fans wouldn't have agreed, giving Batman and Superman their own stand alone movies and then putting them against each other would have been freaking awesome. Because Marvel didn't do that :o Besides, I bet I wasn't the only one hoping they would do this with the DC characters :3

EDIT EDIT: Excluding the Civil War >.>;

Last edited:
Saw the movie last night with @Rain of the Night. After hearing about it being bad, I actually rather enjoyed the movie. I find when I go in with low expectations I usually enjoy it more then I would have thinking it's this god sent movie. Now before anyone goes off on me, my comic book knowledge is very basic, which is most likely why I enjoyed the movie more then the more hardcore knowledgeable fans. HOWEVER, I did know the few odd quirks that made me go WTF. As a few people said . ..

Batman FUCKING KILLING PEOPLE. But as Rain explained it later, this was an older version of batman who has seen shit, like the death of Robin by the Joker.

The movie was a bit slow to begin, and honest I think the best part was Wonder Woman and her being a fucking badass.

And yeah. . .^^

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this movie... Bad from the critics, good from the fans (I'm not surprised there...) and regular moviegoers.

Either way, I'd prefer not to risk wasting my money to see this movie and simply hope that it'll be good. I remember two times where I thought it would be a good idea to do that (a stupid comedy named "Let's Be Cops" and "Terminator: Genisys"), and boy, do I regret it. Maybe not as much for Genisys as the former, but still... pretty big mistake on my part for not paying attention to the reviews, first. And given the very muddled plot of this film that Wikipedia helped explain to me before I could go ahead and jump into the clusterf**k on my lonesome, I do believe that I might end up having a smiliar experience if I tried giving it a chance.

So I'm just going to sit this theatrical release out and perhaps wait for it to be put up on Netflix before having a look at it.

tumblr_nejhold0DI1ryvclko1_500.gif

This chick as Wonder Woman was all I needed to see :D I CAN'T WAIT FOR HER STANDALONE FILM!! MY BODY IS READY!!!

• Love
I think part of the reason I am kind of glad this movie got slapped down so hard is that Warner is trying so hard to be Disney/ Marvel while trying to appear as something completely different, or show they're the more "mature" franchise to try and bleed Marvel fans. The whole thing just seems cynical, and it's hard to put a finger on why. Maybe it's that they tried to make 1 movie out of 3, or that Zack Snyder is a hack director, or the movies appear to be trying so hard to be anything but fun, it doesn't seem like anyone really cares about the characters or the source materials.

I want Warner to keep making superhero movies, just realize that they can use colour and humour and understand why these characters are so beloved. Shouldn't Superman be about hope and showing people that by having good morals they can be as much of a hero as he is, while Batman has an unshakable conviction that even the worst people might one day turn their ways around and that's worth fighting for? Trying to make a super grimdark Justice League primer movie to rush to catch up to Marvel just feels like a huge misstep.

I want the standalone DC movies to try to stand alone from Zack Snyder's grim bullshit and actually make the movies get their characters right. The fact that people seem to universally like the casting (save Lex Luthor) is great, and the fact Warner decided to do tens of millions of dollars of reshoots to make Suicide Squad follow the tone of its greatly received second trailer is a sign that maybe they actually might be willing to compromise.

Wonder Woman and Batman should have gotten their solo movies before this one. All of it felt rushed. But the gloomy mood and religious themes were excellent. I utterly despise Marvel's happy-go-lucky atmosphere.

The movie was pretty fucking garbo. What little good was swamped by terrible depictions of charachters I love, terribly written dialogue and some some really shitty design choices all around.

Reactions: grey987
I think part of the reason I am kind of glad this movie got slapped down so hard is that Warner is trying so hard to be Disney/ Marvel while trying to appear as something completely different, or show they're the more "mature" franchise to try and bleed Marvel fans. The whole thing just seems cynical, and it's hard to put a finger on why. Maybe it's that they tried to make 1 movie out of 3, or that Zack Snyder is a hack director, or the movies appear to be trying so hard to be anything but fun, it doesn't seem like anyone really cares about the characters or the source materials.
See, I'm going to disagree, but only because I know what could be done as a writer.

Comparing Marvel and DC is a bit... Unfair? Marvel's heroes have always been more about expressing experiences within humanity. The X-Men for instance are mostly just a collection of discrimination stories featuring the humanity of each protagonist, and how they deal with it. Some are colder, some are warmer. Some are smarter, some are dumber. Some are better able to deal with the intolerance that society shows them than others, and their powers often reflect part of their nature. Wolverine has claws because he's a berserker at heart.

DC's heroes on the other hand have always been more about the ideological conflicts present within each. Superman is an immigrant, but the forefront of his character is and always has been his unfaltering idealism and faith in humanity, and his adoration of rights and freedoms and the sanctity of human life.

If DC and Marvel were university degrees, Marvel would be the psychology major, and DC would be the political sciences major.

You can even see hints of this in their movies. Marvel's stories are 9/10 times the hero's journey arc. They have an established flawed character at the beginning who has to overcome a series of obstacles and discover his powers and/or gadgets in order to win the day. The plot for Antman is the same plot as in Ironman, and most everything inbetween.

DC's issue is I don't think they understand how to write a dark universe, or really understand the characters they're using, and how to port them properly to the big screen. As flawed as Man of Steel was, you can make a dozen arguments defending it. Superman obliterates a significant chunk of Metropolis? He was still a newbie superhero and he was fighting villains who intentionally forced him into populated areas. He doesn't understand the true destructive nature of his powers yet. Et cetera.

This new movie has no excuse for why it somehow lacks humanity or an intelligent script. If you want to write a conflict between Batman and Superman? It has to be a political confrontation, because imagining the two hitting each other "just because they don't like each other" is about as warped and beyond the pale as it gets for those two. You can write incredibly dark and macabre universes, but in order for anyone to remain invested, you have to have likable protagonists. In order for a protagonist to be likable we have to grasp their motivation, and understand the conflict that they're in is somehow unavoidable. The only way they managed to do that was to make Batman into a mass murdering sociopath who runs people down and blows them up with cannons n' shit. That doesn't make him likable: That makes him a lunatic.

Ironically? This movie would have been far, far better off if they had just constrained the narrative to superman's cult following. Those who believed in him, and those who were terrified of him, and the political ramifications and consequences that comes with having a massive cult following who may try to imitate the things you do. Superman would be forced into the darker but more realistic situation that his every action is going to have consequences upon impressionable minds. Batman could largely keep the same motivation he had before, but instead of being manipulated by Lex Luthor (because that fucking plot arc was stupid) he could have simply seen a pseudo-God who obliterates entire city blocks whenever he engages in combat. That alone could be enough to put Batman on the defensive and force a political confrontation that could result in a fight which lasts a solid 20 minutes and ends with the two in a draw, with one or both ideologically compromising and growing as characters. Atop this, you could keep and expand upon the two attempting to investigate each other: Superman under cover as the reporter, Batman under cover as the philanthropist billionaire.

You could actually have an extremely thought provoking, dark character study with these two, contrast them, and it's not really that difficult to think of a reason for the two to be engaged in a conflict when they barely know each other.

Frank Miller grasped this in his own comic. Superman sides with the government, Batman does not. Batman engages in conflicts, it reawakens his old arch nemesis: The Joker, who goes on a killing spree. Batman's actions had consequences in bringing back the interest of his arch rival and it cost human lives as a result. Superman and Batman then had an ideological conflict that forced them on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The irony is that this film painfully fucking obviously took cues from Frank Miller's comic, but the writer/director somehow missed this core, important aspect of why this comic worked. Why people liked it. It was ideological as much as it was about the titular characters.

But no. Warner had to blow their load and shove Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor and others in there, who really didn't actually need to be there. What was Lex Luthor's motivation? What was Wonder Woman's motivation? They really didn't actually need to be in this plot. Hell, the resolution to the conflict could have been that superman and batman start to cooperate more and become the baby daddies for the Justice League, and each follow up film would introduce Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and how they get involved in the Justice League.

Why the fuck am I better at this than the guy directing this multimillion dollar movie? I shouldn't be. I normally see a flawed movie and think "oh, well, I wouldn't have done much better." In this case though? For once? Yeah. Actually, I probably could have done better.

And that's really sad.

Because Marvel needs a genuine competitor to keep them on their toes so they'll stop being fucking lazy with their plot line. (Aside from the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Those film franchises are still neat in their own rights.)

EDIT

TL;DR: You could absolutely do a dark and gritty story featuring Superman and Batman. It's been done before. The issue is you need them to be likable, you need the conflict to be coherent and zeroed in on a single overriding plot thread, and that plot thread needs to be ideological to truly reflect the nature of these characters. Instead, the plot was overloaded with characters who didn't need to be there, and set-ups to future films that didn't need the assistance.

See, I'm going to disagree, but only because I know what could be done as a writer.

Comparing Marvel and DC is a bit... Unfair? Marvel's heroes have always been more about expressing experiences within humanity. The X-Men for instance are mostly just a collection of discrimination stories featuring the humanity of each protagonist, and how they deal with it. Some are colder, some are warmer. Some are smarter, some are dumber. Some are better able to deal with the intolerance that society shows them than others, and their powers often reflect part of their nature. Wolverine has claws because he's a berserker at heart.

DC's heroes on the other hand have always been more about the ideological conflicts present within each. Superman is an immigrant, but the forefront of his character is and always has been his unfaltering idealism and faith in humanity, and his adoration of rights and freedoms and the sanctity of human life.

If DC and Marvel were university degrees, Marvel would be the psychology major, and DC would be the political sciences major.

You can even see hints of this in their movies. Marvel's stories are 9/10 times the hero's journey arc. They have an established flawed character at the beginning who has to overcome a series of obstacles and discover his powers and/or gadgets in order to win the day. The plot for Antman is the same plot as in Ironman, and most everything inbetween.

DC's issue is I don't think they understand how to write a dark universe, or really understand the characters they're using, and how to port them properly to the big screen. As flawed as Man of Steel was, you can make a dozen arguments defending it. Superman obliterates a significant chunk of Metropolis? He was still a newbie superhero and he was fighting villains who intentionally forced him into populated areas. He doesn't understand the true destructive nature of his powers yet. Et cetera.

This new movie has no excuse for why it somehow lacks humanity or an intelligent script. If you want to write a conflict between Batman and Superman? It has to be a political confrontation, because imagining the two hitting each other "just because they don't like each other" is about as warped and beyond the pale as it gets for those two. You can write incredibly dark and macabre universes, but in order for anyone to remain invested, you have to have likable protagonists. In order for a protagonist to be likable we have to grasp their motivation, and understand the conflict that they're in is somehow unavoidable. The only way they managed to do that was to make Batman into a mass murdering sociopath who runs people down and blows them up with cannons n' shit. That doesn't make him likable: That makes him a lunatic.

Ironically? This movie would have been far, far better off if they had just constrained the narrative to superman's cult following. Those who believed in him, and those who were terrified of him, and the political ramifications and consequences that comes with having a massive cult following who may try to imitate the things you do. Superman would be forced into the darker but more realistic situation that his every action is going to have consequences upon impressionable minds. Batman could largely keep the same motivation he had before, but instead of being manipulated by Lex Luthor (because that fucking plot arc was stupid) he could have simply seen a pseudo-God who obliterates entire city blocks whenever he engages in combat. That alone could be enough to put Batman on the defensive and force a political confrontation that could result in a fight which lasts a solid 20 minutes and ends with the two in a draw, with one or both ideologically compromising and growing as characters. Atop this, you could keep and expand upon the two attempting to investigate each other: Superman under cover as the reporter, Batman under cover as the philanthropist billionaire.

You could actually have an extremely thought provoking, dark character study with these two, contrast them, and it's not really that difficult to think of a reason for the two to be engaged in a conflict when they barely know each other.

Frank Miller grasped this in his own comic. Superman sides with the government, Batman does not. Batman engages in conflicts, it reawakens his old arch nemesis: The Joker, who goes on a killing spree. Batman's actions had consequences in bringing back the interest of his arch rival and it cost human lives as a result. Superman and Batman then had an ideological conflict that forced them on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The irony is that this film painfully fucking obviously took cues from Frank Miller's comic, but the writer/director somehow missed this core, important aspect of why this comic worked. Why people liked it. It was ideological as much as it was about the titular characters.

But no. Warner had to blow their load and shove Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor and others in there, who really didn't actually need to be there. What was Lex Luthor's motivation? What was Wonder Woman's motivation? They really didn't actually need to be in this plot. Hell, the resolution to the conflict could have been that superman and batman start to cooperate more and become the baby daddies for the Justice League, and each follow up film would introduce Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and how they get involved in the Justice League.

Why the fuck am I better at this than the guy directing this multimillion dollar movie? I shouldn't be. I normally see a flawed movie and think "oh, well, I wouldn't have done much better." In this case though? For once? Yeah. Actually, I probably could have done better.

And that's really sad.

Because Marvel needs a genuine competitor to keep them on their toes so they'll stop being fucking lazy with their plot line. (Aside from the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Those film franchises are still neat in their own rights.)

EDIT

TL;DR: You could absolutely do a dark and gritty story featuring Superman and Batman. It's been done before. The issue is you need them to be likable, you need the conflict to be coherent and zeroed in on a single overriding plot thread, and that plot thread needs to be ideological to truly reflect the nature of these characters. Instead, the plot was overloaded with characters who didn't need to be there, and set-ups to future films that didn't need the assistance.

I certainly don't disagree with your observations, and mostly I think we're seeing things eye to eye. I still feel, however, Warner DC is still trying to pull off what Marvel has while trying to be different.

I say this because I think they're so afraid of stepping on Marvel's turf to distinguish itself as a Justice League franchise, they might be deliberately shooting themselves in the foot with a few of their choices for no reason.

Marvel needs competition, and I'll be the first to expresss superhero fatigue. Hell, I ruined Ant-Man for my girlfriend because I pointed out that the villain is literally the exact same as the one in Iron Man, and Marvel villains are almost universally weak and utterly forgettable, and I am sick and tired of origin stories.

Went to see this movie with my family earlier this week after my mom's friend was told that it was a good watch. We all hated it.

[SPOILER ALERT]

First of all, the title was incredibly misleading. All of the marketing done on WB's part to create this enormous build-up towards the colossal battle that would be between Batman and Superman, two titans who had been awaited to fight on screen for so long... and it was all squandered in a single fight scene that lasted all of about 3 minutes tops, in which it was only initiated because Luthor manipulated Superman into battling Batman by kidnapping his mother (rather than it being caused by their conflicting ideals), could have easily been stopped if Superman had told him such instead of beating around the bush and saying things like "You don't understand", and Batman doesn't deliver the killing blow with a Kryptonite spear because both of them have mothers with the same name (Superman manages to utter "You're letting him kill Martha" and "Save Martha" as he is literally being crushed under Batman's heel). I mean, come on! As if Batman would instantly become willing allies with Superman just because the two respective parental figures shared the same name! It was incredibly infuriating and insulting, and I hated the movie greatly for that.

Eisenberg's performance was... I don't know what the hell Snyder was thinking when he directed this (or directed any of this garbage, for that matter). This was not Lex Luthor at all. This was some twitchy, socially awkward kid who shared the same name with the actual villain that most of us know Luthor is. It was just... bullshit. Interesting performance, but not particularly captivating for the intended role. I might've said different if the character was someone else altogether; either way, he was shoehorned into the movie as part of the whole big and clumsy Justice League set-up, and felt like he didn't need to be there.

Batman murders people. Not accidentally; he straight-up murders people with knives, guns and vehicle-mounted turrets. Look, I don't mind a particularly brutal Batman, but when you refuse to give a proper explanation as to why he kills people, I'm not going to condone those actions of his even when you show me that Jason Todd's 'death' exists in this universe. In "Under The Red Hood", this same thing happens, but do you see Batman killing anyone? No. He becomes a much more violent vigilante, but he sure as hell doesn't kill anyone. When he can (canonically) keep his composure even under trauma like that, there is no goddamn excuse for you not to do the same for this incarnation of Batman unless you're ready to back it up.

Lois Lane was literally useless in this film. Quoting my good friend (not actually) Jeremy from CinemaSins, she was merely being moved around like a piece on a chess board according to whatever the goddamn script was dictating. She had absolutely no use for being anywhere shit was going down other than to give Superman someone to kiss every now and again. I hated watching her being squandered in the movie.

The final act with Doomsday was a complete mess. So many CGI bursts and flashes of light, and just extremely loud noises all around that made my head hurt and want it to just end already. For a villain as well-known and powerful as Doomsday, what was done to him was exactly what was done to Ultron (something which made me furious at Marvel for a time, when I usually support most of their work); again, he was stuck in there just to set up the Justice League early on and for absolutely pointless fan service by re-enacting the "Death of Superman" comic arc. Doomsday should NOT have been inserted in that movie. He should have been put in a standalone "Man of Steel" sequel, where he'd have much more screen time and do much more justice to himself than what was done in "Batman v Superman". The overall action sequence was also a headache, and I didn't enjoy watching it at all.

The nightmare sequences... Why did we need those? Just- ugh, you know why most of them were put in there, so I won't reiterate it. The plot came to complete and sudden stop whenever these were shown, and while the Flash cameo was kind of cool, we didn't need to see these. We really didn't. They weren't important to the movie.

... And now I'm going to go in-depth about the Justice League set-up. Why, oh why, oh why, DC. Look, I get it; you're falling behind and are trying to catch up with Marvel in terms of their success because you're jealous that your #1 contender did something really cool on-screen and want to mimic them as a result after the heap of shit that was "Green Lantern" and after bringing a close to your actually wonderful "Dark Knight" trilogy. But not playing the long game was a mistake. It doesn't feel special anymore because these characters are not well-enough established; instead, we just get people joining the fight who we are meant to acknowledge as the good guys, but ultimately can't care for because we haven't gotten to know them well enough (this is true even if you're someone whose read their comics and know these characters down to their very thoughts). At the very least, Batman and Wonder Woman should have gotten their own solo films before this, so that things would be more well-established and the Justice League set-up would at least be somewhat more tolerable. Even then, the cameo appearances were almost aggravating to watch; you don't make me excited by merely showing me tidbits of these characters on security tapes, and instead don't keep me engaged because ultimately there's nothing there that makes me feel like I want to make a connection with any of them. You had the opportunity to be patient and play things out, but you fucked up by being impatient, DC. You really fucked up.

There are probably more things that I felt were wrong with this movie (though it's likely just me being a nitpicky asshole for those), but those are all the major things with which made me quite mad about this movie.

[SPOILER ALERT END]

However, while this movie was bad overall, there were two sequences I really loved in it; the opening scene where we see the final moments of "Man of Steel" through Wayne's perspective is fantastic. The score playing during the scene is epic, Affleck's performance was top notch and the cinematography really did pull me in.

The scene in the warehouse where Batman takes on several of Luthor's men was a fantastic fight sequence that I would probably place second or tie it for first place on my list of favorite fight scenes behind/with the church battle from "Kingsman: The Secret Service" and the train fight from "Spider-Man 2". The way it was filmed was absolutely incredible in that there were no nonsensical jump-cuts or camera movements which made it indecipherable to figure out what was going on, and the choreography just fit Batman so well in a way that managed to outdo the choreography for Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy (especially for "The Dark Knight Rises", which was mostly wooden and boring regardless of whatever realism was trying to be realized). For that, I will commend Snyder...

Otherwise, screw that asshole for ruining what could have been a DC movie that I would have really enjoyed.

Y'know, I find it very amusing that before this movie, nearly everyone was universally complaining about Ben Affleck being cast as Batman, and now nearly everyone I've heard about who saw the movie loved his performance.

I totally plan on seeing the stand alone Batman film.

Status
Not open for further replies.