Baron Samedi: 1x1 RP between El Tigre! and Saint Guillotine

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a faint smile, of the shy sort around Sherry's mouth at the comment from Lara. Which was one reason why she changed the subject in explaining the safehouse as it was. Still as she listened, she began to find herself enjoying Lara's company more and more- The Men of Letters had always attracted intellectuals of all sorts, among others. Lara was just the most recent and she smiled broadly at the whispered mention of home.

It was exactly how she felt, around her chosen territory.​
"I understand, you're attracted to knowledge. Like me. You like brains." ... "Er... well, you know what I mean," Lara murmured somewhat sheepishly, chuckling once she'd realized her phrasing. There was the undead, right? Zombies in that vein, after all there were vampires....
Sherry giggled, the sound putting the atmosphere at ease as she said offhand with a sultry wink, which she pulled off very well.

"Sapiosexual. Though honestly, you do have to watch out for a few. Ghouls for example, are notorious for flesh of any kind, particular sapient."

She shuddered with disgust.

"Luckily, they tend to have very specific haunts and weaknesses so we should be alright there. I'll draw up a lesson on some local dangers and the like, if you ever want to work in the field. And if not, well- Better forewarned, right?"

She cocked her head-​
She approached the work-desk first and foremost, forgoing the amusing mishap now, and placed her rucksack atop it wherever available. She naturally assumed this comprised all the collected data about the language Riddle told her before, the hieroglyphics of sorts.

The first thing she did, surprisingly, would be glossing over the tapes and recorder, the rubbings, to a worn tome that belied no identifications. She lifted it flat against the palm of her right hand, with the left turning over the book cover as the spine creaked in protest. Lara's lips pursed visibly, reading the first few lines of content within before realizing it was sanskrit. Right, they'd talked about it being similar to such. Yet it was distinct enough on its own that it posed to be a problem, indecipherable to others. Well, perhaps it wasn't so for her. She gingerly replaced the tome, before glancing over to Sherry.

"Allow me to make a preliminary finding first? I promise, it won't take me long. Though, of course, if I do by chance get engrossed and... well, you'll know. It means progress."

With that said, she turned back to the desk, eyes settling onto the rubbings. Making herself at home within a seat, propping herself close, and leaning down as to see the intricate details of the rubbing, the archaeologist in Lara Croft would set to work.
-And nodded, somber now as she spoke.

"Take all the time you need. I'll be right here."

And as Lara went to work, so did she as out of sight, she transformed back and darted under what looked like a small blanket in the corner of the room.

As for Lara, her work had just begun. Even a preliminary finding exposed a lot about the rubbings, faint and dark as they seemed. The overall structure and the names were the same, but what was curious was the notes in the margins on one part or another. Most signed with the moniker 'M', but a few that was certainly Tom's in green cursive and one that was in Japanese kanji. Sherry's work? Everyone of them agreed with what Lara discovered on the surface.

That the rubbings were of an ancient, universal language that survived in corrupted form in almost every country in the world. Of a sort dedicated to dark gods and twisted ideas. In that respect, two objects would be seen by Lara. One of them being a copy of Lovecrafts 'Call of Cthulhu', showing a picture of the scene in the swamp around their statue. The other was a faded newspaper, where the pictures moved and depicted a sullen looking human in a mugshot of creole descent. Familiar looking for some reason to Lara, as the story in faded letters revealed the following.

DARK RITUAL FOILED!

In what had been a battle of epic proportions between Dark Cultist and local authorities aided by High Priestess Maria, Alphonse Gustave was finally taken into custody to never again trouble the New Orleans charter. A wizard obsessed with Death, Alphonse had been charged previously with Necromancy most foul by the Powers-That-Be and had earned himself a stern warning. For his crimes of a marginally higher form of black magic, he has earned himself the death sentence.

The rest of the article was too faded, but there was a note in cursive by Riddle merely saying connected to it 'Baron Samedi'.

@Indolent

Sherry giggled, the sound putting the atmosphere at ease as she said offhand with a sultry wink, which she pulled off very well.

"Sapiosexual. Though honestly, you do have to watch out for a few. Ghouls for example, are notorious for flesh of any kind, particular sapient."

She shuddered with disgust.

"Luckily, they tend to have very specific haunts and weaknesses so we should be alright there. I'll draw up a lesson on some local dangers and the like, if you ever want to work in the field. And if not, well- Better forewarned, right?"

"You've got the penchant for teasing, don't you?" Lara immediately quipped, the edges of her lips quirking inward to form a smirk, "I suspect I'd be daft to not expect that in the future."

"I suspect a good rule of thumb is having ready access to fire," the lady Croft's eyes flickered to the large hiking backpack she'd towed along with her, its profile sighted across the flat of her shoulder, as she felt the weight of her bow within. Somewhere alongside it was a quiver laden with numerous arrows and a battle-worn lighter of immense reliability.

"I'd appreciate it greatly, Sherry. Though, perhaps out of hubris I should think, I feel I can handle most things come my way. Then again it's mainly men's arses I've kicked so that might not be wise on my part." Hers was a thoughtful frown and in her pithy ruminations, she recognized the combat experience and prowess she'd gleaned for herself alongside Roth's prior training. Followed the casual shrug, trusting that she would survive any given circumstances.​
"Take all the time you need. I'll be right here."

And as Lara went to work, so did she as out of sight, she transformed back and darted under what looked like a small blanket in the corner of the room.​

Lara watched the departure of the kitsune, curious as to her transformation. She still was a scholarly soul and it took naught to pique her curiosity about most things. There was the appreciation in the knowledge that she shared another similar interest, as recently discovered, with her father. The interest in the mystic and the arcane and the appreciation that came with it.

In a way, she was gladdened to have been a bibliophile of the fantasy and mythological genre in her younger years.

Business-like thoughts aside, the fox form was honestly adorable and Lara chuckled, wondering to no end what Sherry would be doing. Sleeping? Perhaps.

"I'll be long, no promises otherwise," the heiress announced breezily. She expected no different, not being a stranger to long nights of study and research. In a way, she lived for this. Aside the adventures.​

As for Lara, her work had just begun. Even a preliminary finding exposed a lot about the rubbings, faint and dark as they seemed. The overall structure and the names were the same, but what was curious was the notes in the margins on one part or another. Most signed with the moniker 'M', but a few that was certainly Tom's in green cursive and one that was in Japanese kanji. Sherry's work? Everyone of them agreed with what Lara discovered on the surface.

That the rubbings were of an ancient, universal language that survived in corrupted form in almost every country in the world. Of a sort dedicated to dark gods and twisted ideas. In that respect, two objects would be seen by Lara. One of them being a copy of Lovecrafts 'Call of Cthulhu', showing a picture of the scene in the swamp around their statue. The other was a faded newspaper, where the pictures moved and depicted a sullen looking human in a mugshot of creole descent. Familiar looking for some reason to Lara, as the story in faded letters revealed the following.

DARK RITUAL FOILED!

In what had been a battle of epic proportions between Dark Cultist and local authorities aided by High Priestess Maria, Alphonse Gustave was finally taken into custody to never again trouble the New Orleans charter. A wizard obsessed with Death, Alphonse had been charged previously with Necromancy most foul by the Powers-That-Be and had earned himself a stern warning. For his crimes of a marginally higher form of black magic, he has earned himself the death sentence.

The rest of the article was too faded, but there was a note in cursive by Riddle merely saying connected to it 'Baron Samedi'.​

A cursory read of the markings by the others and Lara swiftly deduced the nature of the others. Via guesses for two of three, in the form of Tom and Sherry with her given background as a kitsune. The Initial that comprised an "M" necessitated research, and demonstrating a keen awareness of her surroundings, Lara discovered the individual responsible for the markings. Marie Laveau, a prominent practitioner of the voodoo arts in New Orleans.

There was little doubt, for Lara now, that voodoo was real. Now played in the back of her mind a familiar and iconic goblin king, her features expressed in blatant elation.

The ancient language, while not wholly familiar to her in the inherent sense, had been see by the heiress amid her works, archaeological expeditions, research, and more. Most interesting was the connection made there, in between the corrupted language of yore and the works of a renown writer, of the skewed bend. "Nigh everyone's heard of Lovecraft. Great Old Ones, Mountain of Madness. The like. Cthulhu, the sickly green priest to the Great Old Ones with burst pinions and mane of tentacles, slick eyes of the void; everyone's favorite."

Her eyes lingered on the haggard man within the moving images-- she'd stifled the urge to giggle considering the thought of there actually being tangible gifs in life-- and there was the customary Croft countenance of concern.

"I do hope this pleasant fellow wasn't attempting to revive this... Master of the Sons of Kemmler. No, better rephrase that. I hope this "Master" isn't an effigy of the old ones, in any shape or form. Bloody hell. Odds are, Lara, he was. You left the overtly hopeful optimism of yours on the island."

Admonishing herself aside?

"The good defenders of the world, both worlds I should say, take their work very seriously...," she murmured in respect to the man's demise. Her eyes lingered further down with rapt attention, making markedly clear her absorption of the details, before they crawled to a stop.

She read the words: "Baron Samedi".

"Of course. Connected. Always, no such thing left to chance," cue the inconsolable sigh, before she nodded curtly and with steeled resolve, delved deeper into the materials, associated with the Sons of Kemmler where available, information on the Baron Samedi (brief knowledge aside), and perhaps an extensive biography on this Alphonse Gustave. Better yet, Lara made the mental note to look up the High Priestess too, leaving no stone unturned.

To that end, she may have had use for Sherry wherever possible.

@Ringmaster

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ringmaster
A cursory read of the markings by the others and Lara swiftly deduced the nature of the others. Via guesses for two of three, in the form of Tom and Sherry with her given background as a kitsune. The Initial that comprised an "M" necessitated research, and demonstrating a keen awareness of her surroundings, Lara discovered the individual responsible for the markings. Marie Laveau, a prominent practitioner of the voodoo arts in New Orleans.

There was little doubt, for Lara now, that voodoo was real. Now played in the back of her mind a familiar and iconic goblin king, her features expressed in blatant elation.
Whoever this 'M' was? His handscript was everywhere, in the majority of the volumes. Each one detailing small notes, reminders of insightful theories on the nature of Houdon...What the world knew by and large, as Voodoo.

In her research on both the name Baron Samedi and Maria Laveau, she would discover the following. The latter was not merely a name, but also a title. Passed down from mother to daughter, their role in New Orleans to act as representives for the Loa as a whole; for lack of a better term, the 'Gods' of Voodoo. Some were benign for a given value of 'benign'. Others were voracious and more dangerous then the rest. All of them were capricious and whimsical, which made dealing with them an art form.

At that point, neat Japanese Kanji would add in the comments that gifts of tobacco and rum were popular options.

As to Baron Samedi?

The book in question would show a dusky figure, with a skeletal hand and a cigar clenched between its teeth. A tall, black top hat would crown the brow and in the margins was simply 'The Most Dangerous Loa of All' from the mysterious M.

Known also as Baron Cimetière, Baron La Croix, and Baron Kriminel, Samedi's domain was in Life and Death. He was gatekeeper to the dead and giver of life, able to return souls for a hefty price. In New Orleans in particular, his power was greatest and while others had used his name to invoke some shadow of his charisma? As a whole, Samedi himself had not been seen since the forties. Or so the theories went in the margins.

As to a current Samedi, a book mark would merely say 'Vial 1. Memory of Amanda Svain, former Auror.'
The ancient language, while not wholly familiar to her in the inherent sense, had been see by the heiress amid her works, archaeological expeditions, research, and more. Most interesting was the connection made there, in between the corrupted language of yore and the works of a renown writer, of the skewed bend. "Nigh everyone's heard of Lovecraft. Great Old Ones, Mountain of Madness. The like. Cthulhu, the sickly green priest to the Great Old Ones with burst pinions and mane of tentacles, slick eyes of the void; everyone's favorite."

Her eyes lingered on the haggard man within the moving images-- she'd stifled the urge to giggle considering the thought of there actually being tangible gifs in life-- and there was the customary Croft countenance of concern.

"I do hope this pleasant fellow wasn't attempting to revive this... Master of the Sons of Kemmler. No, better rephrase that. I hope this "Master" isn't an effigy of the old ones, in any shape or form. Bloody hell. Odds are, Lara, he was. You left the overtly hopeful optimism of yours on the island."
This would uncover more information. As well as a term used as a whole.

'Outsiders'.

Dangerous and vile, the margins were more intensely scribbled, referencing a seventh law of magic, which was more or less 'Do Not Summon'. Apparently, only mortal practitioners and humans were capable of calling them down. Beyond that, the book itself was cautious, claiming only that through the centuries, they had been fought and something of their shadow exists because of their ability to infiltrate dreams...Alluded to in a few stories by Lovecraft himself, with the only margin being Riddle's in sympathy as merely 'Poor soul. He saw far too much.'

"How goes things?"

Sherry, returned and still in fox form would be sitting patiently by Lara's chair, head cocked as she added.

"Dinner should be ready, if you want a break. Did you have any questions yet?"

@Indolent

"How goes things?"

Sherry, returned and still in fox form would be sitting patiently by Lara's chair, head cocked as she added.

"Dinner should be ready, if you want a break. Did you have any questions yet?"

"I've learned aplenty but I fear I've made no further progress than you, Tom, and Marie have. Unfortunately," Lara frowned, before inclining her head toward the other, realizing Sherry was still foxy. "Cute." Was all she had to say before she returned to business. "I should inquire about the laws of magic, as well as this High Priestess. Perhaps looking into this Alphonse is a dead-end. Still, connections to any other, even as old and faded as they are, could help. Unless those of the hidden world are better at hiding their tracks than I give them credit for..."

Hmm...

"The loa, I shouldn't trifle with their lot it seems and this Baron Samedi, the information I've gleaned here, coincides with what little I knew already. Allow me to reiterate what I already said: shan't trifle with this lot, especially him. I should look into this... memory vial, whatever that is, if I want to know more. Oh, I suspect you have an... omnibus of sorts, presumably first prints and editions, of Lovecraft's works lashed together? Perhaps I'm going overboard here but... anything of reference, I ought to collect." ... A chuckle escaped her lips. "You know, I used to build forts of books, novels, tomes, journals, and more around myself whenever I perused the libraries when I attended University. My Fortress of Solitude Sam said."

Pushing herself from the desk as she turned to regard the other fully, "Yes, I could use a break. I'm somewhat famished, all I've had for today were jaffa cakes. Delicious as they are, they're not nutritionally fulfilling," the heiress remarked thoughtfully, before hopping to standing and following a much needed stretch she indicated to Sherry. "After you? I'm sure we can discuss this further over dinner, with Tom."

@Ringmaster

"I've learned aplenty but I fear I've made no further progress than you, Tom, and Marie have. Unfortunately," Lara frowned, before inclining her head toward the other, realizing Sherry was still foxy. "Cute." Was all she had to say before she returned to business. "I should inquire about the laws of magic, as well as this High Priestess. Perhaps looking into this Alphonse is a dead-end. Still, connections to any other, even as old and faded as they are, could help. Unless those of the hidden world are better at hiding their tracks than I give them credit for..."
"Marie- Oh. 'M'."

One ear twitched as Sherry spoke in explanation.

"M actually stands for another wizard- Not as clever as some wizards I know, but...Passable."

She sniffed once, making it clear just whose team she was backing though as a familiar, perhaps that was unavoidable. More somberly she would add.

"The Priestess is one of the Great Powers in New Orleans. A neutral one at that...In theory. In practice, things have gotten...Somewhat complicated."

Foreboding as that little statement was, she would brighten at the other ideas mentioned.

"Aha! The Seven Laws we can go over- As well as a few other things on Wizards. As to that....Person."

Her tone made it clear she was using the term out of politeness for present company as one paw brushed her nose.

"Its funny you should say 'dead-end' though I would suggest you view the trial memories first, as to understand our enemy. Tom can share more."
"The loa, I shouldn't trifle with their lot it seems and this Baron Samedi, the information I've gleaned here, coincides with what little I knew already. Allow me to reiterate what I already said: shan't trifle with this lot, especially him. I should look into this... memory vial, whatever that is, if I want to know more. Oh, I suspect you have an... omnibus of sorts, presumably first prints and editions, of Lovecraft's works lashed together? Perhaps I'm going overboard here but... anything of reference, I ought to collect."
"Oh. If its Gods you wish to know about, Tom has a little thing he's working on. He hides it in his bag where he thinks no one knows." The matter of fact tone she shared this information spoke volumes about her concept of personal space where Tom was concerned.

"Its a work in progress, but it contains the essentials. The books are easy enough- We've copies in every room, to forewarn and remind us what we may be facing down."
"You know, I used to build forts of books, novels, tomes, journals, and more around myself whenever I perused the libraries when I attended University. My Fortress of Solitude Sam said."
Her mouth opened in approximation of a smile in fox form, as Sherry's tail wagged.

"Oh, I wouldn't know about that~"

She made a mental note to show Lara her own collection later.
Pushing herself from the desk as she turned to regard the other fully, "Yes, I could use a break. I'm somewhat famished, all I've had for today were jaffa cakes. Delicious as they are, they're not nutritionally fulfilling," the heiress remarked thoughtfully, before hopping to standing and following a much needed stretch she indicated to Sherry. "After you? I'm sure we can discuss this further over dinner, with Tom."
Didn't need to tell her twice and with a happy yip, she dashed up the stairs, waiting at the halfway point for Lara to catch up before moving on.

-----

"-Haaaai hasssss, masssshi."

It was a startling, hissing sort of language Tom was engaged in- Talking to the snake it looked like, Nagini as the latter hissed in reply before slithering away. She paused politely to let Sherry and Lara pass her by, hissing to the former something that had Sherry's ears prick before she slithered out the pet door at the front and was gone. Sherry seemed more disturbed, but Dinner seemed to be ready.

A cajun blend of smells and spices wafted, Tom having made a simple if filling gumbo with baked potatoes. He smiled when he saw them, but there was a strain to it that had Sherry pad over to put her paws up on his knee. Tom bent to automatically stroke her ears as he glanced at Lara.

"Any luck? I was hoping a new pair of eyes might touch on what we missed prior."

@Indolent

"Marie- Oh. 'M'."

One ear twitched as Sherry spoke in explanation.

"M actually stands for another wizard- Not as clever as some wizards I know, but...Passable."

She sniffed once, making it clear just whose team she was backing though as a familiar, perhaps that was unavoidable. More somberly she would add.

"The Priestess is one of the Great Powers in New Orleans. A neutral one at that...In theory. In practice, things have gotten...Somewhat complicated."

Foreboding as that little statement was, she would brighten at the other ideas mentioned.

"Aha! The Seven Laws we can go over- As well as a few other things on Wizards. As to that....Person."

Her tone made it clear she was using the term out of politeness for present company as one paw brushed her nose.

"Its funny you should say 'dead-end' though I would suggest you view the trial memories first, as to understand our enemy. Tom can share more."

"... Oh. I suppose I just put on fully display my ignorance in the way of all things arcane," red flushing into the heiress's cheeks for the first time akin to a schoolgirl lightly admonished for getting the answer wrong. Truly, within her depth, she was used to knowing precisely what it was she worked with. Suffice it to say, once more, she was out of her depth though she wasn't out of the game. There was something afoot and she'd exert her damnedest to see it through, to know just exactly what transpired all around her. In the present and in the past as well, what with newfound knowledge of the Hidden World.

As to the rest of Sherry's words, Lara replied in a courteous nod, appreciative of the advice on the kitsune's part. Any helping hand was regarded warmly, especially in a field, as was mentioned, unfamiliar to the Englishwoman.​
"Oh. If its Gods you wish to know about, Tom has a little thing he's working on. He hides it in his bag where he thinks no one knows." The matter of fact tone she shared this information spoke volumes about her concept of personal space where Tom was concerned.

"Its a work in progress, but it contains the essentials. The books are easy enough- We've copies in every room, to forewarn and remind us what we may be facing down."

"Well, honestly," Lara stressed the syllable in her typical Brit accent, "I'd love to know... well, everything. I think I'd mentioned it but I always did have a soft spot for the fantastical. It's where I started after all and it seems my prominent field of study may yet be interrelated. Which is exciting."

Then she cocked her head, "You're not shy toward invading others' privacy are you? Should I be concerned?" Her inquiry was polite though meant somewhat seriously, Lara flickering her eyes toward the other with a playful grin. "I do hope you leave my Jaffa cakes be," she finalized her overall demeanor toward the little fox before resuming seriously, "I'd love to have a look. Well, more a glance. I'd need time in spades to pore through these tomes and such is not a luxury we have I suspect."​
Her mouth opened in approximation of a smile in fox form, as Sherry's tail wagged.

"Oh, I wouldn't know about that~"

She made a mental note to show Lara her own collection later.​

A knowing nod was her only reply as Lady Croft recollected her belongings into within her satchel that she brought along. Merely out of habit as she moved from place to place.​
Didn't need to tell her twice and with a happy yip, she dashed up the stairs, waiting at the halfway point for Lara to catch up before moving on.

-----

"-Haaaai hasssss, masssshi."

It was a startling, hissing sort of language Tom was engaged in- Talking to the snake it looked like, Nagini as the latter hissed in reply before slithering away. She paused politely to let Sherry and Lara pass her by, hissing to the former something that had Sherry's ears prick before she slithered out the pet door at the front and was gone. Sherry seemed more disturbed, but Dinner seemed to be ready.

A cajun blend of smells and spices wafted, Tom having made a simple if filling gumbo with baked potatoes. He smiled when he saw them, but there was a strain to it that had Sherry pad over to put her paws up on his knee. Tom bent to automatically stroke her ears as he glanced at Lara.

"Any luck? I was hoping a new pair of eyes might touch on what we missed prior."

Lara paused briefly, her features contorted to light confusion as she overhead Tom's... conversation, if it could even be called that, with Nagini. "What... was that? If you don't mind my asking," Lara projected toward the wizard, approaching the table if any as to set her bag down before turning as to face Riddle.

Obviously, she noted Nagini's departure and she derived enough from the exchange to know the basic. But still, she'd put a name to the interaction if she could. Descriptions and facts were her forte after all.

Barring that, the scents wafted upward into her nostrils, the spices making their opulent presence felt. "Smells delicious-- oh no, sorry. I actually made a mistake towards the end of my session. It's a step forward but... well, to be cryptic about it, it's like I'm walking in the shadows. I only get bits and pieces of the lore with its attached history. I don't know as much as you or Sherry but... I'll get right back on top of it after dinner."

@Ringmaster

Lara paused briefly, her features contorted to light confusion as she overhead Tom's... conversation, if it could even be called that, with Nagini. "What... was that? If you don't mind my asking," Lara projected toward the wizard, approaching the table if any as to set her bag down before turning as to face Riddle.
Toms face seemed mildly reluctant at first before he spoke.

"Parseltongue. Its snake language- I can talk to them, had the ability ever since I was a boy. Its something of a taboo topic within magical circles, but we can't help where we come from."

He seemed a bit desperate to change the subject and Sherry in fox form rubbed up around his legs, at which point he knelt briefly to rub behind her ears with a small smile.
Barring that, the scents wafted upward into her nostrils, the spices making their opulent presence felt. "Smells delicious-- oh no, sorry. I actually made a mistake towards the end of my session. It's a step forward but... well, to be cryptic about it, it's like I'm walking in the shadows. I only get bits and pieces of the lore with its attached history. I don't know as much as you or Sherry but... I'll get right back on top of it after dinner."
"I can help. Nagini is keeping an eye out in the swamp for any danger-And I warded the safehouse, heaven knows to keep it well protected, but should they bring any magus....Well. We'll see."

He took a bit of his meal, glancing in the direction of Sherry, whose bowl he placed on the ground. She twitched an ear his direction and went back to eating. Tom frowned and looked at Lara.

"Sherry tells me you were curious about the Seven Laws of Magic? Well in a nutshell, they are the guidelines of magical laws, set by Merlin himself."

He raised a finger in a lecturing pose, sliding into his 'professor and antiquarian' mode.

The First Law forbids the killing, specifically of humans, with magic. The Second Law of Magic forbids the shapeshifting of other beings. The Third Law of Magic forbids the use of psychomancy. Forcible magical violation of someone's mind by extracting knowledge against their will is inherently destructive – Mind magic is so dangerous that the Council has not even dared trying to explore how to build better defenses, which gives an advantage to black wizards less bound by such scruples."

He paused for breath and took a sip of his drink.

"The Fourth Law of Magic forbids the binding of any being against its will. The Fifth Law of Magic forbids the use of necromancy.
The Sixth Law of Magic forbids time travel, with the purpose of avoiding the paradoxes due to any attempt to change the past through temporal manipulation. Even divination of the future is frowned upon in all but the vaguest, most general instances. Finally? The Seventh and arguably the most important law..."

Tom looked into his food and even Sherry had grown silent, looking up at her master. Tom said quietly.

"....The Seventh Law of Magic forbids the summoning or contacting of Outsiders; Creatures related to the Lovecraftian Pantheon which the hapless author wrote extensively on. In short, those are the seven laws....But not every magical society follows them. This...Creates something of a schism and major distrust as you might imagine."

He said with a wince. He then frowned and looked up as he added.

"But it has everything to do with where we are now and our suspected enemy. After dinner, I'd be happy to show you a memory. Something pertinent that the Men of Letters believed to be crucial to events here."

@Indolent

Toms face seemed mildly reluctant at first before he spoke.

"Parseltongue. Its snake language- I can talk to them, had the ability ever since I was a boy. Its something of a taboo topic within magical circles, but we can't help where we come from."

He seemed a bit desperate to change the subject and Sherry in fox form rubbed up around his legs, at which point he knelt briefly to rub behind her ears with a small smile.

"That's... amazing. Being able to converse with animals-- well, just the one animal but still. It all makes sense to me now anyway," Lady Croft openly admitted, chuckling as she peered to Nagini briefly as she now considered the serpent's own intellect. There was a glint to Lara's eye, signifying that she had shot Riddle a glance momentarily as she keyed on the awkwardness of his mood that arose briefly before it sublimated under affections for the kitsune.

"I can help. Nagini is keeping an eye out in the swamp for any danger-And I warded the safehouse, heaven knows to keep it well protected, but should they bring any magus....Well. We'll see."

He took a bit of his meal, glancing in the direction of Sherry, whose bowl he placed on the ground. She twitched an ear his direction and went back to eating. Tom frowned and looked at Lara.

"Sherry tells me you were curious about the Seven Laws of Magic? Well in a nutshell, they are the guidelines of magical laws, set by Merlin himself."

He raised a finger in a lecturing pose, sliding into his 'professor and antiquarian' mode.

The First Law forbids the killing, specifically of humans, with magic. The Second Law of Magic forbids the shapeshifting of other beings. The Third Law of Magic forbids the use of psychomancy. Forcible magical violation of someone's mind by extracting knowledge against their will is inherently destructive – Mind magic is so dangerous that the Council has not even dared trying to explore how to build better defenses, which gives an advantage to black wizards less bound by such scruples."

He paused for breath and took a sip of his drink.

"The Fourth Law of Magic forbids the binding of any being against its will. The Fifth Law of Magic forbids the use of necromancy.
The Sixth Law of Magic forbids time travel, with the purpose of avoiding the paradoxes due to any attempt to change the past through temporal manipulation. Even divination of the future is frowned upon in all but the vaguest, most general instances. Finally? The Seventh and arguably the most important law..."

Tom looked into his food and even Sherry had grown silent, looking up at her master. Tom said quietly.

"....The Seventh Law of Magic forbids the summoning or contacting of Outsiders; Creatures related to the Lovecraftian Pantheon which the hapless author wrote extensively on. In short, those are the seven laws....But not every magical society follows them. This...Creates something of a schism and major distrust as you might imagine."

He said with a wince. He then frowned and looked up as he added.

"But it has everything to do with where we are now and our suspected enemy. After dinner, I'd be happy to show you a memory. Something pertinent that the Men of Letters believed to be crucial to events here."

"I think I can handle a magus or two, if I'm not well beyond the boundary within my abilities. Especially with my firearms...," though she took a breath, clearly thinking, before she exhaled with a respectful nod of her head toward Tom, "... though I'll defer to your judgement and knowledge firsthand."

And she nodded at the mention of her interest in respect to the laws, reflexively pulling loose from her rucksack a diminutive notepad scrawled with shorthand. Indubitably, a pen would find its way into her hand as Tom Riddle opened with the first law. His words would be underlined with the audible scribbling of Lara's pen as she maintained a demonstrative stare born of a ravenous desire to absorb and document knowledge wherever possible. This was well within Lara Croft's domain as a researcher and scientist-- as much as an active archaeologist could be considered, especially in respect to the arcane.

It would seem that Lara held her breath meanwhile as she wrote down each word in shorthand, daring not to take a breath for that it potentially meant she'd miss a word due to aberrant noises made by the act or the wavering in her focus as she willed what should be an involuntary act to not transpire.

Needless to say, Riddle taking a breathful pause was a boon for Lady Croft.

"That's amazing," was all she had to say on the subject of the Seven Laws at Tom's conclusion. "I feel that the knowledge of these laws is potentially more than enough for any mortal not in the know to... know. A wealth of information, assumptions, and assertions could be ascertained from these," the heiress mused aloud, lost in the new new knowledge, before she shook herself realizing well that she was not alone.

There was a strange look to Croft's face now, as she quirked a brow and a corner of her mouth uplifted in demonstrative skepticality, "Show me a memory? That's possible? With magic, it must be, but I hadn't even considered... really?"

The magical hits kept on coming but down deep beneath it all, Lara Croft was estatic and enthused for her immersion into the Hidden World.

@Ringmaster

Needless to say, Riddle taking a breathful pause was a boon for Lady Croft.

"That's amazing," was all she had to say on the subject of the Seven Laws at Tom's conclusion. "I feel that the knowledge of these laws is potentially more than enough for any mortal not in the know to... know. A wealth of information, assumptions, and assertions could be ascertained from these," the heiress mused aloud, lost in the new new knowledge, before she shook herself realizing well that she was not alone.
"You may have noticed the many, glaring grey areas these laws potentially bring."

Riddle replied with a wince as he stirred his food in absent thought. Pulling his thoughts together, he explained a bit more clearly. "The laws of magic as they stand, are not meant to be fair- They're meant to prevent power struggles. Because if these laws are constantly violated, then without limits we exterminate ourselves."

He huffed out and frowned.

"And that alone should be answer enough why, some of our...Factions abhor each other to some extent. Especially where magic is concerned."
There was a strange look to Croft's face now, as she quirked a brow and a corner of her mouth uplifted in demonstrative skepticality, "Show me a memory? That's possible? With magic, it must be, but I hadn't even considered... really?"

The magical hits kept on coming but down deep beneath it all, Lara Croft was estatic and enthused for her immersion into the Hidden World.
"Yes, a memory. Extracted from the mind of an auror- Dark Wizard catcher, some point around the trial of Alphonse Gustave- The man in which it all began. But no rush just yet. Rest, eat...And then after, we can apply ourselves to our shared task."

He grimaced and chuckled hollowly.

"We'll have our hands full for certain, I can tell you that right now."

@Indolent

"You may have noticed the many, glaring grey areas these laws potentially bring."

Riddle replied with a wince as he stirred his food in absent thought. Pulling his thoughts together, he explained a bit more clearly. "The laws of magic as they stand, are not meant to be fair- They're meant to prevent power struggles. Because if these laws are constantly violated, then without limits we exterminate ourselves."

He huffed out and frowned.

"And that alone should be answer enough why, some of our...Factions abhor each other to some extent. Especially where magic is concerned."

"If I wanted to be incredibly cynical, I could say that's not a far off from relations between nations in the modern world. Unfortunate though yet necessary I realize," the Lady croft sighed outwardly, propping a hand against her chin as she listened closely.​
"Yes, a memory. Extracted from the mind of an auror- Dark Wizard catcher, some point around the trial of Alphonse Gustave- The man in which it all began. But no rush just yet. Rest, eat...And then after, we can apply ourselves to our shared task."

He grimaced and chuckled hollowly.

"We'll have our hands full for certain, I can tell you that right now."
"I've dug into this well before dinner, even if my direction may have been poor in doing so. So I don't think I can sit still after this," Lara admitted with bemusement, "So I might ask to dig further. It depends, honestly. Maybe the fatigue set in well beforehand... we'll see. This smells excellent by the way."

@Ringmaster

"If I wanted to be incredibly cynical, I could say that's not a far off from relations between nations in the modern world. Unfortunate though yet necessary I realize," the Lady croft sighed outwardly, propping a hand against her chin as she listened closely.​

"I've dug into this well before dinner, even if my direction may have been poor in doing so. So I don't think I can sit still after this," Lara admitted with bemusement, "So I might ask to dig further. It depends, honestly. Maybe the fatigue set in well beforehand... we'll see. This smells excellent by the way."

@Ringmaster
"Thank you. I made sure to stock up beforehand."

He said modestly before frowning as he spun his fork idly.

"At any rate, rest does sound good afterwards. I've established and built up the wards on this sanctuary and Nagini will warn us should anything comes. Considering we've been shot at, among other delightful pursuits today, a break sounds nice and then we can work. You to the memory and I, to the local powers."

@Indolent

Status
Not open for further replies.