Baron Samedi: 1x1 RP between El Tigre! and Saint Guillotine

Status
Not open for further replies.
He let her get acclimated to what knowledge he had imparted, observing with some degree of satisfaction at how she managed to do so. That was her fathers influence showing and a bit of her own, inner strength. She would need both before this was over, as he would require to draw upon all his strengths and gifts. No matter for now...It was time to explain a little more as he stood up respectfully, unconsciously adopting a teaching pose he himself inherited from her father.

He obviously admired the man, to the point of unconscious emulation as a youth which now progressed into habit as a young adult.

"Kemmler. The greatest or rather, most infamous dark wizard of the past hundred years. You may have heard of one of his works, a little situation the world knows as WWI and WWII. He was an adviser to Hitler, and ran his occult department and ironically, it was he who showed us the power of a united Moonlit World society. Vampires, Wicked Fae, Demons and the Dead all answered his call and flocked to his banner, under the shadow of Hitlers third Reich. It was a horrible time, but its a topic for another age. Suffice it to say that Kemmler himself was an immensely powerful magus in regards to the Dead. Necromancy was his specialty and upon his third death, he left instructions to his forces insofar as resurrecting him."

He allowed her to connect the dots before speaking briskly.

"We- My colleagues and I, seek to stop him. As I said, one of his agents is in this area. Attempting to activate a long-defunct cell of his folllowers, who meet deep within the swamp. Its not enough that we fight them off, more will simply rise. We must ensure, that he can never be called up again as well. Which is where you and I come in. The area in question, where I found the statue is rife with strange hieroglyphics and ancient signs....I regrettably, cannot translate them correctly. I'm willing to bet you can. If it helps, the underlying cipher appears to be Egyptian in nature, but with some form of twist that I have no idea despite my research."

He frowned, frustrated at his lack of knowledge.

@-I-n-d-o-l-e-n-t-

Lara's brow quirked up just ever so slightly as an amused smile graced her features. She had quite the keen eyes and exceptional observational skills, essential and paramount to the ongoing work of an archaeologist, and it was with these she caught Tom's subliminal pose. In a way, she was gladdened for the fact she'd come to New Orleans if only to encounter her father again in spirit beyond his works and achievements. To encounter others he'd a lingering, lasting influence upon. Though to a degree, one could say she was somewhat envious... but that mattered not. She knew she was loved in the end and that was all that mattered.

Though a frown repleted the fleeting smile. "Well, that would certainly explain Hitler's resounding success in his overwhelming blitzkrieg maneuvers then?" As for World War I? "And was Kemmler was responsible for the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand?" A sardonic scoff, tinted with momentary disbelief, before Lara inhaled sharply, shaking her head now. "Well, no matter, knowing this man had an involvement of some kind certainly changes the stuff in the scores of history textbooks and lore..."

Still though, the mention of faes, demons, and more was somewhat overwhelming. Come on Lara, you can handle this. So what if it isn't one bite at a time? "Of course, why would a strapping and capable fellow like Kemmler go silently into the night? Some can't let go their firm grasp and I speak from experience." Himiko...

k6zIw1p.png

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, I'm typically frank and right to the point. It's a minor correction; our job is actually stopping his acolytes from resurrecting him?" Lara took to cupping her petite chin with a hand now as she ruminated aloud, taking in the details. "Well, it'll be fun ensuring Kemmler won't rise again. Ever." She said with an easygoing air, bringing forth a positive attitude to rekindle the mood. "The cipher may be in an older dialect of the language, if not a mix of underlying ones long since lost." She glanced to the other. "... I have got to admit, if that's the case and you've done plenty of research? I'm banking on the premise that you've got scores of information and more sequestered away from the prying eyes of ..." She frowned, eyes making clear that she racked her brain for the correct term. "Us Mundanes. In respect to a multitude of languages and knowledge of old."

She laughed.

"Well, that's one way to lure in an archaeologist with a ravenous thirst for knowledge."

@Saint Guillotine

A hissing noise echoed from beneath the bed, the great green snake slithering out into full view. More than an Anaconda, but if so it was unlike any Lara had ever seen before. Magical perhaps? Funny how a new mindset would spring forth new ideas, when in former times it may have dismissed it. Nagini at any rate would appear to be hissing to Tom, who...Hissed back, in whispers before he looked at Lara. A grim expression pervaded his features now as he rose to his feet and spoke.

"Nagini here just told me, the rats informed her of two strange men who entered this hotel. They're looking for both of us."

@-I-n-d-o-l-e-n-t-

The corners of her mouth upturned, materializing a worried frown as she sighed. Her easygoing attitude shone through the adopted veil of negativity though, as a witty remark escaped her lips. "Naturally, we're interrupted in the midst of such a riveting subject. It's a talent of these types, I swear." A brief glance about her surroundings as she determined the whereabouts of Nagini and Sherry, before back to Tom. "I do hope you've got an escape route, else this'll turn gruesome I think." Lara stood to full, padding one side of her trousers then the other.

7uzlylL.png

"Ah, perhaps this is a wonderful time to tell you: I've left most of my belongings at the hostel I'm staying at. All I've got are these." Retrieved from concealed holsters, a pair of tactical pistols that may have been familiar would be shown to Tom.

D5sKWuP.jpg

"My experience on the island and thereafter has left me little more than cautious. I hope you do not mind and the same for when we retrieve my belongings later; I am rather fond of my jaffa cakes." She remarked idly, pulling the slides back on each weapon as she prepared herself mentally, eyes keeping alert on any potential opening their calling visitors could peruse.

@Saint Guillotine

Think, think! Tom swiftly turned to Nagini, hissing at her as she replied in passing, returning under the bed. Tom smiled grimly.

"Nagini will meet us at some fallback point I had arranged, just in case."

He flicked his wand, his items all folding up and jumping into the old-fashioned sea chest, closing up with a thumb before vanishing. Invisible, nothing more but it would have to do till he returned for it. Preparations were complete, it was time to consider how best to meet these people. He looked to Lara and smiled grimly.

"We've two choices...I'm more inclined to escape out the window, lose ourselves in the Mardi Gras crowd...At the same time, this is a perfect opportunity to find out what our enemies know. We leave one, we stop the other. See if he becomes inclined to talk to us. But I'll leave it to you to decide my dear."

@-I-n-d-o-l-e-n-t-

"..."

J6fB16Z.png

Lara shrugged incredulously then, remarking of the scenery that unfolded before her in a languid fashion. "No better time than to get accustomed to magic like now; especially with that grand scene of yours. It's almost akin to Merlin and his little cottage from The Sword in the Stone."

She checked Roth's pistols once more, before glancing back to Tom-- "And Sherry?" Her inquiry followed after the remark, a slight tint of worry to her tone.

Whatever Tom's reply was, Lara would answer the choice proffered before her with clear resolve: "Let's introduce ourselves to these fine gentlemen; perhaps they'll be so kind as to elucidate us on the matter." An audible 'chank' resounded as she cocked the pistols, emphasizing firmly her decision.

@Saint Guillotine

"Currently staying back under the bed, for some information gathering should we have chosen to vacant the premises."

He whistled sharply and a white fox dashed out and leaped to the windowsill, though not without a look to Lara that broadly expressed along the lines of 'can-you-believe-this-guy?' at the whistle before she was gone.

Riddle didn't notice, wand out as he headed for Lara and said with a smile.

"One second. This should do nicely."

And he rapped her gently on the head, a sensation of a raw egg cracked and running down her body followed.

And when Lara looked down at herself, she seemed to have become a human chameleon, taking on the exact texture and coloration of the background wherever she walked, Riddle doing the same to himself as he slid into a corner and kept still.

Fifteen minutes passed and then the door slowly clicked, the lock twisting to unlocked position from the outside as two figures walked in.

40608-1-1298770652.jpg

Dressed in true Mardi Gras fashion and armed with handguns, each looked around in the room, unseeing at first though that might change fast....

@Indolent

"Oh? Smart--" Lady Croft'd begin to say before the emergence of the wily fox from under the bed promptly cut her short. A snort repleted the dying words in her throat as she caught a flicker of Sherry's expression.

"Right, you'll take that side and--alright then." Lara muttered, recognizing a pattern now as Riddle neared her and... bonked her head several times with his minuscule wand--

vsQSXIJ.png

The sensation that followed was, simply put, gross and unexpected. Here, a hardened survivor from the island of Yamatai was bleching out over what felt like eggs running down her hair, though it might not have been the case. More to the point, Lara took notice of the spell Riddle'd cast, and remarked promptly. "Imagine if I had this on the island."

Without missing a beat, Lara would resume her words from earlier. "Alright now, you take that side. As for myself, I'll be here... and Tom? Forgive me but I may permanently damage the wondrous image of Lord Richard Croft's daughter in the next few minutes or so."As much as she despised it, despite the ease it came with in doing so, Lara Croft was not fond of having to kill when necessary. In this case, once again, it was necessary.

She'd align herself against one side of the room, holding still in steadfast silence as she hefted Roth's pistols for the openings into the room. Her plan of action? A bullet into the head of one and two into the shoulders of the other. There were questions to ask after all and two bleeding points of entry made for a rather compelling reason to spill the beans.

Daddy's dearest turned expert at pseudo-torture indeed.

@Saint Guillotine

One masked figure dropped wordlessly, crumbling bloodied to the floor as the mask shattered. The element of surprise had worked well in their favor, as the doors clicked shut and locked and the shutters flew down, courtesy of Riddles work. While at it, he seemed to have ensured that no one heard what happened in the room as well. An unnecessary precaution as outside, Mardi Gras went on with abandon. Within, the struggle continued on as the violence of the seconds moved forward. Shoulders shot, the masked man rushed to tackle the source as he aimed to slam his shoulder for Lara's stomach, moving for the window in abandon.

Though not in time for Riddle to zap him, the blue burst emerging from the wand to slam into the man and set him wriggling as though hit by a taser. Riddle dispelled the charm on them both, looking grim as he knelt to rifle through the dead mans pockets while keeping an eye on the live one.

"Lara, are you alright?"

@Indolent

Honestly? Lara Croft's stomach churned ever so slightly as she slew one man via gunshot to the skull and wounded another with a subverted double-tap, for the shoulders. Daddy's dearest, still ever on the precipice of losing her lunch on the occasion after being mired in a battle of life and death. Back on the island, on Yamatai, thoughts about the ramifications and the nature of her actions was absent; indeed, Croft hadn't the luxury to expend in way of ruminating the philosophical. It was her or them and in time Lara learned that while she would still be stricken with empathetic regret, she would not be sorry for her decisions. Ironically, it was just like Indiana Jones and his adventures, hers seemed to take the same in a similar vein amid this dog eat dog, kill or be killed world.

Her reply to Riddle's concern?

Nl9mw2c.png

"... I'm fine, Tom. This isn't anything new. Appreciate the save there, though." A sharp intake of breath followed though, as the adrenaline passed. Truth be told, the wait for their calling visitors was somewhat a tense experience, never knowing when they'd come. Never knowing when the hounds would descend upon you out of the blue. She laughed. "I hadn't realized you could do that. Makes me feel sorry for him, the rounds in both shoulders."

Checking over Roth's pistols now, her eyes flickered momentarily along the silver, sharp contours of the weapons, before back to the unfortunate soul and Riddle. "Though, of course, that's my mistake. I keep underestimating the applications of magic, various as they are even with my knowledge of the fantastical. What one doesn't know can't hurt them--the biggest, most boldfaced lie any could tell another."

... Right, gotta cut the chatter there Lara. It was unusual for her though, she was more used to working on her own, in way of scavenging and deriving information where she could. Though of times, she never really interrogated any other; tombs, artifacts, documents, and oral tales pieced together the truth in totality for Lara Croft, as it had on Yamatai. Oh gods, how she'd never forget the events that transpired.

ozxebkO.png

"Well, time to interrogate the sap. Always a first for everything--would I be prudent in asking if you've any experience in the matter?"

@Ringmaster

"... I'm fine, Tom. This isn't anything new. Appreciate the save there, though." A sharp intake of breath followed though, as the adrenaline passed. Truth be told, the wait for their calling visitors was somewhat a tense experience, never knowing when they'd come. Never knowing when the hounds would descend upon you out of the blue. She laughed. "I hadn't realized you could do that. Makes me feel sorry for him, the rounds in both shoulders."

Checking over Roth's pistols now, her eyes flickered momentarily along the silver, sharp contours of the weapons, before back to the unfortunate soul and Riddle. "Though, of course, that's my mistake. I keep underestimating the applications of magic, various as they are even with my knowledge of the fantastical. What one doesn't know can't hurt them--the biggest, most boldfaced lie any could tell another."​
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth- Aha!"

Riddle let out a triumphant grin as he held aloft what looked to be some kind of amulet, made from obsidian and shining in the light of the room. Despite this, there was an almost sickening quality to it, unknown in its worksmanship that had Riddle make an expression of distaste as he pointed his wand at it and the feeling ceased. Wrapping it in a handkerchief, he glanced at Lara and smiled wanly.

"I would be pleased to share more and at length, but after we leave this room and get what we want."
... Right, gotta cut the chatter there Lara. It was unusual for her though, she was more used to working on her own, in way of scavenging and deriving information where she could. Though of times, she never really interrogated any other; tombs, artifacts, documents, and oral tales pieced together the truth in totality for Lara Croft, as it had on Yamatai. Oh gods, how she'd never forget the events that transpired.

ozxebkO.png

"Well, time to interrogate the sap. Always a first for everything--would I be prudent in asking if you've any experience in the matter?"​

Riddle walked over, pocketing the bundle in his hand as he pointed his wand down at their foe and turned him over with his foot. Looking down at him he spoke.

"I've a little. As it is, he'll wake up in pain. It depends if he's a fanatic or perhaps simply an agent of our mysterious foes here- Those who would do anything for a cause will be less inclined to talk, those who are in it for money might be persuaded otherwise. We'll find out when we wake him up. Ready?"

He pointed at the face and muttered a word in latin. Almost immediately the agent groaned to life. Riddles voice changed perceptibly as a harder tone entered his voice.

"Can you hear me?"

The agent behind the mask nodded slowly, not an outcry coming from his lips despite what he might be feeling. Riddle scowled and continued.

"Who sent you here?"

The agent was silent. Riddle frowned as he added.

"You know its useless to hide it."

Still quiet, before laughter slow and mocking came from the mask. When the agent spoke, it was guttural but surprisingly normal.

"You know nothing wizard. You, nor your teachers legacy here. I laugh in your face and at your impotence."

There was a spark of red lurking around Riddles eyes now, in what looked to be a mystical tell...The angrier he was, the more red his iris became. But as they faded to green, Riddle smiled and took a step back.

"Perhaps you're right. I might not be able to get you to talk, at least not by my usual methods. Her on the other hand-"

He jerked a thumb to Lara and smirked.

"Miss Croft?"

@Indolent

"Oh I do hope he's a mere sellsword, it would make matters simpler. Though if it's otherwise... I suspect I can draw off prior experience in dealing with him," the heiress replied to Riddle's words evenly, accentuating the latter portion of her response with the chambering of her pistols. That in of itself was also Tom's answer in whether or not she was ready for the potentially gruesome affair.

The magnums' profiles were hidden by the contours of Croft's thighs, positioned in a way that the assassin would not be able to see them, with the Brit adopting a demure facade. Standing aside Riddle, thereabouts a meter or so, Lara observed the interaction between wizard and assassin, gleaning details for her consumption. A brief exchange followed and Lara saw perhaps what consisted the dark side in Riddle, prompting the corners of her lips to upturn into a frown. Perhaps she'd ask him on the matter later, after the sordid encounter, but for now?

It was her turn now.

Stepping before the prone man, Lara observed him closely watching for any tics, any response to her approach as she dropped the fictitious exterior adopted earlier. "Right. Well, I think you'll find that I may just be... tad bit more spiteful than my good friend here. That's oft the response for someone when their life's threatened, isn't it?" Croft mused aloud, eyes scrutinizing the other's profile in detail, hovering across and over the bullet wounds in each shoulder.

She said nothing further for a scant few seconds, before punctuating the silence's end with a heavy sigh. "Pity, it seems you aren't the talkative sort. What a waste, really," Lara remarked, almost sincerely, as she moved forth and... placed the heel of her hiking boots against one of the gaping injuries, "A waste of good boots." Without further ado Lara would lean her weight into the extended leg, her weight bearing down upon the fallen assassin. The result would be the exacerbation of the pain the man already suffered, the intensity heightened. Regardless of any sound made, screams or otherwise, Lara would continue to speak.

"I've no love for this, really. I gain nothing from this, other than the information I seek. I've already taken a life today, I certainly hope I won't have to a second time," the heiress enunciated clearly, the effort in masking her disgust and regret in the deed somewhat visible in her features, "It's a necessity, you understand what with your trade."

@Ringmaster

Last edited:
Stepping before the prone man, Lara observed him closely watching for any tics, any response to her approach as she dropped the fictitious exterior adopted earlier. "Right. Well, I think you'll find that I may just be... tad bit more spiteful than my good friend here. That's oft the response for someone when their life's threatened, isn't it?" Croft mused aloud, eyes scrutinizing the other's profile in detail, hovering across and over the bullet wounds in each shoulder.

She said nothing further for a scant few seconds, before punctuating the silence's end with a heavy sigh. "Pity, it seems you aren't the talkative sort. What a waste, really," Lara remarked, almost sincerely, as she moved forth and... placed the heel of her hiking boots against one of the gaping injuries, "A waste of good boots." Without further ado Lara would lean her weight into the extended leg, her weight bearing down upon the fallen assassin. The result would be the exacerbation of the pain the man already suffered, the intensity heightened. Regardless of any sound made, screams or otherwise, Lara would continue to speak.

"I've no love for this, really. I gain nothing from this, other than the information I seek. I've already taken a life today, I certainly hope I won't have to a second time," the heiress enunciated clearly, the effort in masking her disgust and regret in the deed somewhat visible in her features, "It's a necessity, you understand what with your trade."
There wasn't even an effort to hide his scream, though it was a hopeless gesture. Between the atmosphere outside and the wards erected by Riddle within, there was no way anyone would hear the noise. Which again, was something all three were well aware as they looked on or suffered loudly. Still he didn't talk....At least till the next ten minutes, this time to Lara with venom in his words.

"Your father....Died....Pleading for his wifes life. And yours."

It was a taunt designed to hurt in the most direct way possible...And it affected Riddle in turn, the red returning as his fingers curled around his wand tighter as he scowled. It showed this much at least though.

Riddle was correct. They were involved somehow in her fathers death, these...Followers of Kemmler. This one was a mere grunt. Someone privy to some of the information as his words to Lara directly could verify...But certainly not privy to it all.

Not with a very angry wizard there, who looked as though he was seriously considering letting his morals and qualms take a quiet smoke break in a corner somewhere.

But the choice was Lara's.

Life or death?

@Indolent

There wasn't even an effort to hide his scream, though it was a hopeless gesture. Between the atmosphere outside and the wards erected by Riddle within, there was no way anyone would hear the noise. Which again, was something all three were well aware as they looked on or suffered loudly. Still he didn't talk....At least till the next ten minutes, this time to Lara with venom in his words.

"Your father....Died....Pleading for his wifes life. And yours."

It was a taunt designed to hurt in the most direct way possible...And it affected Riddle in turn, the red returning as his fingers curled around his wand tighter as he scowled. It showed this much at least though.

Riddle was correct. They were involved somehow in her fathers death, these...Followers of Kemmler. This one was a mere grunt. Someone privy to some of the information as his words to Lara directly could verify...But certainly not privy to it all.

Not with a very angry wizard there, who looked as though he was seriously considering letting his morals and qualms take a quiet smoke break in a corner somewhere.

But the choice was Lara's.

Life or death?

@Indolent

Lara Croft's soft elegant features made for an intrinsically beautiful face, though now the beauty was marred by the clenched furor in her jaw. The noblewoman's breaths were slightly ragged as adrenaline flowed through her veins, memories of Yamatai flashing back in full as she stared downward. All this throughout those very ten minutes, the intensity in Lara's eyes and breathing growing. Then came a surprise, the curling of her lips upward into a smile. They would part, to give way for words that dripped with condescending surety that underlined her upbringing.

"You're off your rocker, aren't you? Mother's long since been dead, well before father passed. Forgive me, your words make for a very unconvincing case. Though ... if my father indeed died by your hands, I've more the reason to be involved in this affair with your cult after all. Rather unfortunate for your ilk."

A soft exhaled finalized Lara's reply, her brows dropping somewhat, her eyes closed lips taut. Her expression was one of serenity, of fleeing innocence. Before all traces of such vanished, subsumed by a survivor's hardened countenance.

There was nothing further to be said, words delayed only the inevitable and she shan't enable the bastard before her to retain any semblance of satisfaction, any dignity in his demise.

The only sound that followed was the familiar crack of gunshot and in that instant, a soul passed into oblivion.

Soon as the act was done did the illusion come undone, Lara gasping and sharply glancing to the side as she exhaled sharply. As much as she'd a knack for it, she certainly hadn't fostered the love for it yet. And she hoped she never would.

Forgoing the formal niceties in consolations regarding the act, Lara made for brief words, "We'd better move seeing that this amounted to nothing. We should collect my belongings and make for the fallback point. You good to go?" She was already on the move, holstering the pistols into the waistline of her jeans with her top covering their grips as she peered to the other expectantly.

@Ringmaster

Riddle was already moving, muttering beneath his breath as both bodies suddenly transformed into ashtrays...A macabre way of hiding the bodies as he went over the bloodstains and picked up the bullet casing, putting it in his coat pocket. That done, he walked back and forth in an effort to ensure he didn't leave any clues before he spoke.

"It won't hide us forever, but it'll buy us time and moreover prevent us from getting awkward questions by the police."

In a softer tone as he slid the window open, he stuck his head out and turned to climb his way. It was an almost gangly way, his body somewhat unused to this method of escape. But it'd work as once in a position where he could brace himself, he'd reach out a hand and smile.

"Once more, into the breach my dear. Time for another adventure."

Mardi Gras was in full swing out on the streets, music and otherwise covering up their own impromptu escape. For anyone who happened to look up, all it'd look like was some sugar daddy and his baby girl trying to avoid their hotel bill. Or so it would be hoped. After all, the posibility of other eyes watching could not be ruled out and considering the Powers-That-Be? That could be either very good or very bad.

Not much room for middle ground in this world.

Regardless, he would follow Lara's lead. The rooftops were bare and easily accessible, allowing them to avoid the streets and eyes that might be there. But then again, by crossing them they opened up the possibility of more enemies.

Enemies who wouldn't have to worry about being seen by Mundanes.

@Indolent

"It seems that my visit to Orleans has opened a can of worms," Lara would say with guilt in her voice, watching Tom play the magical cleaner within the crime scene. "I can't help but wonder what this means for you once it's all said and done," She pondered as she awaited the finishing touch to Riddle's work. Croft's arms were clasped close and tight to one another, hands gripping elbows, as she peered over what once were the body of men now turned to ashtrays. To the casual observer, there was perhaps a pang of guilt within the features of the heiress, within her bodily manner. It wasn't often that she reconsidered the nature of her actions in her quest for survival and knowledge. Gods know that she never gave it much thought after slaying scores of the Solarii and the Stormguard, not until after she'd escaped the island. There was comfort in knowing that it had been, on the primal level, a fight for survival. That and they were largely deranged, from years spent on the island to the way of life as seen in the Stormguard. Still, where the latter had no excuse, the former were only the product of their unfortunate circumstances, and that in of itself made her contemplate what they might have been at one time, before the island. Such was the nuance of the archaeologist in Lara, surveying the recent just as she did the distant past.

Croft was lost in thought until Tom's kind words gently brought her back to reality, her recognition and understanding summarized in the form of a nod as she approached the other. "Call me presumptuous, Tom, but I suspect that the breach and adventure itself has a tendency of finding you." Had she meant him directly? Or more herself? That remained to be seen as she accepted the proffered hand and pulled herself to outside. Moving beyond the egress and onto the rooftop following Riddle, Lara would naturally step forward as to take the lead without issuing a word; their goal now was to retrieve her supplies and make for the fallback point. At which point, the role of guide would fall back to Riddle.

She would make her way across the roof-tops with practiced ease, her acrobatic prowess displayed to a degree in her motions. Lara had an excellent sense of direction and that fact was exemplified brilliantly despite the change in escalation and whereabouts. Referring to the streets below and landmarks cataloged in mind, Riddle would find Lara breaking away with a sense of urgency at times as she moved swiftly, her path unobstructed before her as she made for the hostel she'd checked in earlier. As eager and seemingly hurried as she was there was a noticeable air of wariness about Lara, eyes surveying the path before her and aside to it, her peripheral vision taking note of any possible open spaces from which they could be attacked.

@Ringmaster

Last edited:
Balloon floats filled the air alongside the strains of tuba music as they free-ran across the rooftops. At times, a glimpse downward would give them brief sights of the tourist and merry makers as they used the alleyways for shortcuts or liaisons. Each one in a plethora of various costumes both ranging for the risque with barely enough material for a handkerchief to heavy, svelte pieces resembling nothing so much as a rug bundle, tied up.

In the end however, they didn't appear to be followed and Riddle would lead Lara to a car he had parked offside the road. One drive later, they had left the town and headed out on the rough roads into the swamp. Frogs croaked a melody as fireflies darted to and fro over the water. Logs that Lara knew were gators watched their passing with reptilian patience as finally, Riddle brought Lara to what looked like a shack in the woods. Crumbled and exposed to wind and weather, as moss covered its walls. Riddle dismissed it as he headed for the door, glancing around before opening it....Revealing a well-built and lit hallway within. A mere illusion as Riddle gestured her to come. Once inside, he'd speak.

"This is our base of operations for the Men of Letters group. There are bedrooms on the upper levels, down below we have our library and analysis laboratory. As to inhabitants, we currently have three. You, me and our resident Huntress once she shows up."

He checked his pocketwatch and frowned.

"...Which should be later this evening."

The hallway opened up, revealing a warm room with a fireplace and a white fox and snake curled before it. The fox winked at Lara and padded eagerly over to Riddle as she reared up on her paws as though to ascertain if he was alright, an act that made him chuckle as he stroked her head and said warmly.

"Yes, yes I'm here- Ah."

Nagini, feeling left out had slithered over in turn and chuckling, Riddle looked at Lara.

"We have copies of the work I told you of, down below. Did you wish to examine them yet?"

@Indolent

"They carry on blissfully unaware of the world that lies beyond their own. Then again, they've got enough on their plate...," Lara ruminated softly under breath as they continued on for the hostel. It wasn't long before they arrived, and trusting that Riddle was patient to remain outside with a wary eye, Lara would casually stride in to retrieve her belongings, a rucksack filled with so and so. Making her departure, she would allow the proprietor to keep the fee she'd paid in majority despite cutting her stay here short, it was not as if the heiress was hurting. With a beatific smile and an expression of thanks and farewells Croft would exit the hostel to outside and turn to Riddle, passing the baton now so to speak.

It wasn't long before she was led to a car and she found herself well on her way to outside of town. There wasn't much said, if any was said, with Lara's eyes staring out the window, her chin and cheek cupped within her palm, supported vertically with her elbow propped against the window and atop the door. She'd a love for exploring and as the circumstances were, this was as close as she'd get to the New Orleans wild-lands. Though, of course, that was never the objective. Still, that never stopped the Croft heiress making time for such flighty fancies.

Soon, they arrived to their destination which appeared to be a rundown shack. Were it Lara the day before, she likely would have appraised it as not of note-worth, despite her prior experience. Thanks to today's events, and the fact it was Riddle who'd led them here, she would know better. It made for an excellent disguised safe-house, one she suspected falling in line with Tom's penchant for illusions.

She followed him inside, quiet for the most part as keen eyes observed everything they could, before she turned to reply to Riddle. "I could be snooty and say I've had better accommodations," Lara smiled, "But I've had worse too so there's that. It's homely and I like the touch." Her comment in regard to the safe-house made, she nodded as she cataloged the given information away, making sure to remember the levels and what they entailed.

"Oh, a huntress?" She inquired curiously, her rucksack situated in front with a noticeable firm grasp--there was an opened box of jaffa cakes extending out from underneath the flap of the rucksack--, "I wonder what she's like? I could guess she hunts but... it's more to it than just the mundane terminology, isn't it?"

At the least, it was something to look forward too. The small talk was exchanged as they traversed down the hallway's path, coming to the warm room with the fireplace, a rustic touch to the humble abode. Normally, her eyes'd have flickered to the crackling fire but instead they settled over two creatures situated before flames, familiar ones at that. She sighed softly, this being her expression of relief for their safety and well-being.

"I'm glad to see you two are alright."

The rucksack slackened in place, it being lowered before Lara's thighs as she observed the fox moving to all fours and padding for Riddle. A chuckle followed from her in turn as Sherry ascertained Riddle's well-being, noting that it was beyond the usual master-servant (if this was what it was) relationship; there was genuine concern and care in her emotion. It was beyond just that sort of relationship and following that, Lara couldn't help but giggle toward Nagini's reaction. She'd never thought a snake would get envious, now it seemed she'd be elucidated on the matter there. She liked that the three were close, it was warm, warmer than the fireplace was. Her eyes finally settled onto the fireplace, watching the embers within the heart of the flames... before she inclined her head Riddle's way, nodding the affirmative.

"But of course, I'd love to put my other talents to work," was Lara's reply, subtly referencing the earlier use of her firearms, "Please, after you."

@Ringmaster

Looking like a strange Dr. Doolittle with Nagini and Sherry fighting for space, Riddle chuckled as he smiled warmly, now completely at ease unlike before. Perhaps it was just something about mages and their familiars. Or maybe there was something more, if Sherry's affections were anything to go by as she all but demanded a tummy rub with the majesty of an expectant queen. One hand doing so and the other scratching Nagini's head on his knee, Riddle would consider before answering carefully.

"Its....Not so complicated. And yet, at the same time it is- Bollocks, I'm not explaining this well, am I? Um-"

"She hunts her own kind. Sort of."

That was Sherry, who answered and a moment later she padded briefly out of sight behind an armchair, striding out as a human as she briskly knotted her hair back in a bun, at ease as illuminated in the firelight, her smile turned somewhat sober.

"Shes an old Damphir- Its Balkan for a half human, half vampire. Shes one of the worlds premier vampire hunters and its her speciality- Hates them for her own reasons, though its not ours to share."

Nagini hissed sadly, momentarily distracted as Sherry considered before looking Lara in the eye.

"I'll lead you to the working levels below- Master? Perhaps you could work the kitchen?"

"Whose the master here, I'd like to know." Riddle mock-grumbled as he rose from his knees and brushed himself off before smiling.

"Alright then- Nagini, did you want to keep me company then?"

Nagini hissed and slithered off in the direction south of the room as Riddle soon followed. Sherry put on a brighter smile as she turned to Lara.

"Right then! Follow me!"

Off they walked, heading downstairs as Sherry flicked on a light switch absently, explaining as she went.

"This entire safehouse is self-sustained- Originally, the Men of Letters were Mundanes clued into the Hidden. They believed the best way to combat it, was to gather information and store it. They were very good at that and a lot of this place runs on mundane power rather then magic. Gas for example- How they managed to bury it in a swamp of all places without magic..."

She shook her head at the sheer ingenuity as they entered in a library. Shelves crammed with books and old notes, wrapped against the damp met her eye. A work desk ahead bore several old-fashioned tapes and a recorder as Sherry looked on, the rubbings of the images vaguely sinister even secondhand.

"If you've questions, ask- I'm a Kitsune of a particular bent. Its why I was drawn to Master in the first place, same as Nagini. Most familiars tend to seize on the most compatible when we seek our partners. I also have some experience sorting and finding whatever you might request, within reason."

She beamed.

"So don't hesitate to ask!"

@Indolent

There still would have been the gentle smile on Lara's face as she watched the scene unfold, though of course she listened closely. To her surprise, it would be Sherry that answered, in altogether a different form. She'd nod her greeting toward her again, redundant as it may have been, and quirked a brow. Had she just heard that correctly? A frown followed.

"Interesting," Lara remarked, her tone making it fairly obvious she was intrigued. She said nothing further, deigning to listen to the elaboration on Sherry's part... and furthermore was her curiosity displayed. "A dhampir... half vampire, half human. I, wow. I should be inundated to some of this now but I think this'll be the period where I'm taken aback by every new little detail now that I've joined the Hidden World. For some time anyway...," She explained, clearing her throat as she realized sheepishly she came across a tad bit awkward there.

Though of course, the burning question in mind had more to do with what the dhampir huntress hunted precisely, her own kind. More specifically actual vampires, the whole she-bang. Just why? Though of course, soon as Sherry said the final there, Lara reined in her thoughts. It was the truth, it was not their place nor was it hers, least of all a fledgling newcomer in this world of theirs.

"I'd like that. We'll see you soon, Tom," Lara remarked aloud, waving toward the wizard and his serpentine familiar as she followed in tow the kitsune.

"You all have an excellent relationship. It's endearing," Lara commented as she followed the other, the gentle soft smile still there. This was before the elaborate explanation of the Men of Letter's safe-house, Lara's features formulating a mixed expression of intrigue and surprise. "That's fantastic, really. The adage of old truly holds: knowledge is power. They made do with what they could, making it all work. I honestly have to admit, I'm not wholly surprised. Amazing deeds are realized when people work together to achieve them, it's something I found in my research and archaeological digs and more," came her own lengthy words, her tone possibly just a smidge bit giddy thanks to the knowledge that she was about to lay hands to a treasure trove of just that, knowledge. Knowledge in all its glory.

"Perhaps they've kept the blue-prints and schematics when they constructed it. If I could read it, I could tell you how. I'm curious too and honestly? It's not too far out of my interests as archaeologists. If anything, I have to admit that I may be... interested in learning more about this place and the Men of Letters. But onward to the objective first, right?"

This just then they entered the library. Lara discovered herself now smiling ear from ear, her relaxed posture exuding an air of palpable comfort and satisfaction. From her childhood well into her early teens, she'd always staked a claim within the repositories that housed knowledge en masse. Libraries. If one were to ask Lara Croft just precisely where she felt the most at home, her reply would succinctly be the library.

"There's no place like home...," she whispered to nobody in particular, as she relented herself to the urge and simply glanced wherever she could, gleaning whatever intrinsic detail she could from anything she laid her eyes upon, insignificant or otherwise.

"I understand, you're attracted to knowledge. Like me. You like brains." ... "Er... well, you know what I mean," Lara murmured somewhat sheepishly, chuckling once she'd realized her phrasing. There was the undead, right? Zombies in that vein, after all there were vampires....

She approached the work-desk first and foremost, forgoing the amusing mishap now, and placed her rucksack atop it wherever available. She naturally assumed this comprised all the collected data about the language Riddle told her before, the hieroglyphics of sorts.

The first thing she did, surprisingly, would be glossing over the tapes and recorder, the rubbings, to a worn tome that belied no identifications. She lifted it flat against the palm of her right hand, with the left turning over the book cover as the spine creaked in protest. Lara's lips pursed visibly, reading the first few lines of content within before realizing it was sanskrit. Right, they'd talked about it being similar to such. Yet it was distinct enough on its own that it posed to be a problem, indecipherable to others. Well, perhaps it wasn't so for her. She gingerly replaced the tome, before glancing over to Sherry.

"Allow me to make a preliminary finding first? I promise, it won't take me long. Though, of course, if I do by chance get engrossed and... well, you'll know. It means progress."

With that said, she turned back to the desk, eyes settling onto the rubbings. Making herself at home within a seat, propping herself close, and leaning down as to see the intricate details of the rubbing, the archaeologist in Lara Croft would set to work.

@Ringmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.