Banned Messages/Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought the term "perma-ban" was odd. Once you are banned, you are banned and there's no getting around it.

I guess people who have refused to listen get a taste of what they can expect if they don't correct any behavior. UNLESS it is super super bad that perma-ban is the best way to deal with it.

Some sites give temp bans as a step up from simple warnings, that's all. Different style of punishment and prevention than Iwaku seems to use, but not a bad system.

We do ban people from certain areas of Iwaku if we feel it is necessary.

Some sites give temp bans as a step up from simple warnings, that's all. Different style of punishment and prevention than Iwaku seems to use, but not a bad system.
Oh that makes sense. I've seen it used once on here, but I didn't think Iwaku had that type of system.

:D The bans should be renamed and rated like the unforgivable curses!

Temp Ban is Imperio
Perma Ban is Crucio
and the forever ban is just a mod/admin screaming Avada Kedavra :D

There is a sense of justice on Iwaku, and that I enjoy. There has this tendency on many other sites where a single Mod or Admin can feel insulted and simply take the banhammer to someone. As seen on Iwaku, that's normally not the case. There's generally a thorough screening process for Staff, meaning most of them aren't just promoted out of necessity - the bane of any good body of management in my experience. I still prefer the system of "trial", ie the ability to present yourself, explain the situation through your own perspective and provide evidence that some relatively underhanded individuals might have made sure wasn't as 'evident' as it needed to be. Justice vs Necessity just seems to be a common trend I see on sites, and I value justice highly, so seeing that Iwaku seems to have a line where they do what they think is fair for the individual yet still adhering to sitewide policy is quite nice.

With that said, I'm a fan of how they execute their decisions. I'm not too terribly informed of the decision-making process; it merely seems a lot more fair than others. But, I've seen a relatively wide array of punishments and solutions to problems, so it feels like the Staff only does what is needed for the situation instead of just looking to make the situation fit the necessities of a certain punishment. Of course, my ideal style of management likely wouldn't work here. In my place of work, I have literally called two people into the office, then told them that if they wanted to settle their dispute right then and there, I would use every resource I had (cameras, on-work investigations of facebook messages and texts, if they consented, literally calling other employees for their opinions or observations off work) and I'd resolve it then, often leading to a 2-week lay off or completely firing another individual as an example and to make up for the technical labor cost of forcing me to resolve the situation. 95% of the time, I don't even have to do that solely because it turns out that generally everyone is guilty and they would rather stop their petty squabbles or even more petty, passive-aggressive attitudes due to the high risk of losing their job or punishment. Now, that works for a crew of 80, not including lower management staff. Probably not so much for a whole site. The only time someone actually wants to do this is generally when they're actually completely innocent or willing to take someone down with them. In which case, it's still a win for me. It gives me enough insight to gauge individual toxicity to the overall health of the establishment. The only tough choice in these situations comes down to determining if the employee that was deemed toxic because they would forfeit their job to have another fired is actually worth keeping on. The entire situation needs reviewed, and unlike some HR, I actually put forth the effort to investigate it. What was the worth and or skill of each employee to the establishment? What caused this issue? What are the chances of it happening again? If I keep this employee on, what kind of message will it send to the others? Considering I likely fell in this exact category, I know exactly the type of damage they might do and the mentality they have. Some are worth it, some aren't. Some might try it again just for the ego trip, some might never present a problem again. Some were provoked by another, some were just looking for an argument. Some were defending others while some were just being dicks. Sometimes, it's real easy to mistake toxicity for a fervent belief that one is correct in what they're doing, and believing one is right isn't necessarily something to punish them for. A lot of the times, those employees are right, but act out in the wrong ways or seek justice in the wrong ways. Teach them how to do it correctly, in an acceptable way, and you're doing what a real boss should: sculpting good employees for the future that can teach the same lessons you taught them.

Running a business and running a site like this shouldn't be too terribly different, just different scaling and significantly less financial margins to worry about.

Hey! Unforgivable curses are unforgivable for a reason o_o No ave cadaver here... or whatever that curse was named. I would suck as a wizard :D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mundane Monster
*posts from Blackberry, like a cool guy*

I think the staff are corrupt and incompetent. We should ask them more basic bitch questions.

So... If I got banned but then said I was sorry then came back and posted a dick pic with Diana's bedroom window clearly in the background then paid Grumpy a stipend from my cuban bank account, would you guys give me the correct number of warning points with appropriate colour coding. Or are you in fact Hitler with multiple alts?

Also, banning is a word with negative connotations. Use different word plz.

*suffers artjritis*

Of course we're Hitler, but don't tell anyone, it's a surprise for iwaku's 50th birthday :D

Does this mean I can be a complete dick and break the rules up until I get a warning and then just play nice?
No. O_O That is why stuff is case by case. We train up security people to recognize when people are trying to push the limits, bait, etc to skirt just under the rules (and truthfully that shit really frustrates and pisses us off. >>;), when they're just big mouth loyal vigilantes, and when they're just dummies needing a smack.

You guys dont necessarily take the side of the person who reported right? What if reported didn't know they were being offensive or the person who reported is just being a pissbaby or wanting to stir up trouble?
Correct! Sometimes it's the Reporter that gets in trouble because they are lying or the one that is causing trouble and not the person getting reported. Cases are looked in and we check out both the reporter and the reported so we can see the full story. There's actually been moments were a Reporter ended up banned for something totally unrelated to what they were complaining about because we found out they were breaking big policies while we were investigating the situation. o___o (Like the time we found out a reporter was using multiple accounts)

I've also heard of the term "perma-banned"? Wouldn't people who are banned be banned permanently no matter what?
MOST of the time, yes! Sometimes we give people time-out bans though. That's for people we don't think should get banned forever from the site, but they REALLY need to shut up and calm the balls down for awhile. o______o

I have literally called two people into the office, then told them that if they wanted to settle their dispute right then and there, I would use every resource I had
We have done this before too! When a situation looks like this is a good approach, we give it a shot. It has a good success rate and members usually work out their squabble without any more interference. 8D

So... If I got banned but then said I was sorry then came back and posted a dick pic with Diana's bedroom window clearly in the background then paid Grumpy a stipend from my cuban bank account, would you guys give me the correct number of warning points with appropriate colour coding. Or are you in fact Hitler with multiple alts?

Also, banning is a word with negative connotations. Use different word plz.
Well, we wouldn't have to give you any ban points because my GIANT AXE WIELDING HUSBAND would have probably murdered you. O___O

BANNING PEOPLE IS NOW CALLED HUGGING FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Why hasn't Windsong been hugged yet?

BANNING PEOPLE IS NOW CALLED HUGGING FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.
Hmm, this gives new meaning to that post rating.

The physical instrument of administrative punishment is no longer called the banhammer, it's the facehugger. :D

Now the question is, do we ban the person who gets the most hugs or gives the most hugs?

-Random person gets a 'you need a hug' rating. Has no idea if the rater wants them off the site or just wants to comfort them.-

This is the most diabolical system ever. Mindfucks for everyone :D

Associating banning with the male fear of penetration. Just like the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.