Banned Messages/Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the whole Points system is a bit out of date and not a good tell for anything, but YES if you're on the shit list, you will get contacted by a staff member to talk about what you've been doing to piss everyone off lately. O_O And you have the opportunity to adjust behavior. That is why you'll see people running around being annoying and topics getting locked and members have hissy fits thinking "GOD WHY ISN'T ___ BANNED YET." We don't ban people immediately, we investigate and give chances first. We make sure we know what's going on with individuals before we start handing out official warnings or punishments.

Instant-bans will happen for really BAD shit. Like pervert creepers stalking after teens/adults. Or using accounts to troll people or circumvent the age restrictions. Because that kind of behavior can be dangerous.

And usually when you see someone get banned for crappy behavior the person always went "Fuck you, go ahead and ban me." >:/ And well, we do. If you ask for it, we're gonna do it.
So the points system isn't being used anymore?

If so my understanding is now a bit shaky.

Is there a way to know if you're on the shit list?
How long is someone on the shit list before being removed?
Is someone being put on the list due to specific acts, or judged on a more personal case-by-case basis?
What's the difference between giving a chance and an official warning?

So the points system isn't being used anymore?

Eeeeh, it is, sometimes... we tried to make it work but have come to terms (VERY RECENTLY) that Iwaku handles cases way too case-by-case to make a points system work effectively. We've been unable to give a fair listing of infractions and what their point value would be, because every situation is so different. @___@ So we are likely to just remove the points system all together. It won't affect anyone on Iwaku at the moment anyway.

Is there a way to know if you're on the shit list?
If you're in trouble or on your way to trouble, YOU KNOW. Like I said above, someone on staff will talk to you and tell you that you're doing something that's pissing people off, or breaking one of the policies. Kinda like how I talked to you on skype a few weeks ago. 8D Depending on what happened it could be a simple "Hey dude, chill out." or an official warning. It's never going to come out of nowhere, you're going to know what you did and what we want you to do to fix it.

How long is someone on the shit list before being removed?
That would depend on what happened and if something has happened involving that member before and how recently those things happened. O__O We have a lot of members who did some stupid shit years ago but are still here and we don't remember what they did anymore unless they end up in some kind of trouble again. >> It's always different.

Is someone being put on the list due to specific acts, or judged on a more personal case-by-case basis?
A combo of both! There are certain things that will get you flagged and watched for awhile. Like, if a teen member has been posted Libertine requests to adults. We remind them that is against the rules, but we watch them for a long time because often those people try to sneak around the rule and do it anyway. Or if someone has a bitchfit on the forums, we try to see what's going on that might've cause it and if that is something that prolly wont happen again (someone had a shitty day) or if that member has a history of problems. o__o If you are on a heading to ban-town list, you would have already been pestered by staff a few times about whatever you did and told that you are going to end up banned.

What's the difference between giving a chance and an official warning?

When you get an official warning, a staffer will flat out SAY it is an official warning and it comes with some sort of official warning PM thing. Staff members are required to make it clear they are giving a warning, so a member can't come back and say "well, no one told me!" and so Admins have a record of it in their logs. >>;

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Like I said above, someone on staff will talk to you and tell you that you're doing something that's pissing people off, or breaking one of the policies. Kinda like how I talked to you on skype a few weeks ago. 8D Depending on what happened it could be a simple "Hey dude, chill out." or an official warning. It's never going to come out of nowhere, you're going to know what you did and what we want you to do to fix it.

When you get an official warning, a staffer will flat out SAY it is an official warning and it comes with some sort of official warning PM thing. Staff members are required to make it clear they are giving a warning, so a member can't come back and say "well, no one told me!" and so Admins have a record of it in their logs. >>;
So was my case more of a "Dude, chill out" deal, or more of a "Official warning" deal?
Because I don't remember any "You are in danger of being banned for X infraction" sort of stuff.
But I do remember emphasis that you guys seemed to see the case as being pretty serious...

Though I couldn't figure out if it was a mix of bad behaviour and concern for safety, or mainly just a concern for safety.

Last edited:
Yes! We always try to get people behaving properly before the warnings and ban threats happen. >> Like I said, when you're at risk of being banned, you'll be told.

• Thank You
Also for people confused over not finding bad behavior from someone's forum posts. Some people are extremely nice or at least keeps to the rules in the forum but then harasses, bully or just act really shitty/creepy towards people in PM, profile posts, groups or even chats. An archive check up won't help you figuring out why they were banned every time ;)

Also for people confused over not finding bad behavior from someone's forum posts. Some people are extremely nice or at least keeps to the rules in the forum but then harasses, bully or just act really shitty/creepy towards people in PM, profile posts, groups or even chats. An archive check up won't help you figuring out why they were banned every time ;)
B... but... It's so much easier when everything is in General Chat. D:

It has nothing to do with me being everywhere in General Chat, so that if all the activity was here I could feel more special and important.

you can always send me a PM about anybody you ever are confused about and I will tell you.
Even you can't answer everything.

Also, I miss the Banned threads. It was a great way to shortlist the next ban victims.

Something like this thread, for example. Perfect shortlist. People who think about banning are people who get excited by the thought of it and take subconscious steps to provoke it.

*gains +5 Irony*

Reactions: Jorick
You promised no more Stasi shit.

*Cancel's Asmo's retirement party*

*Drowns the clown*

*De-Animals all the balloon animals*

*Gives the cake to children*

I'll be honest, I forget that the 'banned reasons' are now publicly displayed sometimes.

Should prolly start making mine sound a little more professional. But it's so much damn fun to take the piss with them a bit.

Banned messages are the ONLY thing keeping Grumpy in the job.

At least I had twisted, sociopathic principles.

Reactions: Ochalla
Does this mean I can be a complete dick and break the rules up until I get a warning and then just play nice? Not that I'd do that anyway, but just curious about how you plan on getting around that. On other sites I know people who've come back from the brink of being banned multiple times because of that sorta system.

Like Di said, we take everything on a case-by-case basis partly so we don't get bogged down in red tape scenarios like that and also partly because I'm the laziest drama mod you ever did saw who ain't got time for that shit.

Even you can't answer everything.

Also, I miss the Banned threads. It was a great way to shortlist the next ban victims.

Something like this thread, for example. Perfect shortlist. People who think about banning are people who get excited by the thought of it and take subconscious steps to provoke it.

*gains +5 Irony*

*Pleasantly pretends not to be thread starter*

You guys dont necessarily take the side of the person who reported right? What if reported didn't know they were being offensive or the person who reported is just being a pissbaby or wanting to stir up trouble?

EDIT: I've also heard of the term "perma-banned"? Wouldn't people who are banned be banned permanently no matter what?

Last edited:
You guys dont necessarily take the side of the person who reported right? What if reported didn't know they were being offensive or the person who reported is just being a pissbaby or wanting to stir up trouble?
We always look into what's going on before doing anything, and if the reported person is innocent or was egged on by the person reporting them, it will fast come to light. We don't trust peoples word just like that, we investigate the issue so that we can figure out what's going on and then decide what to do from there. It has happened that the person reporting someone has become our target of suspicion because their report highlighted an issue in their behavior and not the person they reported.

So no, we don't necessarily take the side of the one reporting someone.

EDIT: I've also heard of the term "perma-banned"? Wouldn't people who are banned be banned permanently no matter what?

"Perma-bans" are different from "temp-bans" or temporary bans, which would mean that a person is only banned for a short period of time (generally anywhere from a day to a week, I imagine), which is a punishment that would keep them off the forums for a little while without banning them permanently.

"Perma-bans" are different from "temp-bans" or temporary bans, which would mean that a person is only banned for a short period of time (generally anywhere from a day to a week, I imagine), which is a punishment that would keep them off the forums for a little while without banning them permanently.
I've always thought the term "perma-ban" was odd. Once you are banned, you are banned and there's no getting around it.

I guess people who have refused to listen get a taste of what they can expect if they don't correct any behavior. UNLESS it is super super bad that perma-ban is the best way to deal with it.

I've always thought the term "perma-ban" was odd. Once you are banned, you are banned and there's no getting around it.

Well... yes... but some bans wear off in a couple days. We call those temp-bans.

Perma-bans distinguish that a ban isn't a temporary thing and it's supposed to be for good.

Sounds like a pretty useful term to me. o3o

Status
Not open for further replies.