Bad Company Reject

Kiarra blinked, eyes widening in response to him turning and revealing his half naked form to her. A light pink rose on his cheeks in response as she did her best to keep her eyes up upon his own. "We don't have one, I will have to go draw water from the well and bring it in for you " she replied with a nod. "An explosion destroyed the one we had.... Killing many people." Her voice trailed off as she tugged her knees to her chest. She knew many of those people.

He saw the pain in her eyes and leaned down, placing a firm hand on her shoulder
"..>War is never pretty, and I'm sorry for your loss and your pain is something I felt before."
He sighed and looked down, slowly removing his hand form her shoulder and lifted her head gently to look into her eyes, his won blue shining gaze meets hers
"...But don't dwell on it...remember them fondly but I'm sure most of them would want you to be happy. Besides, you have a lovely smile..."
He smirked at her, moving his hand away from her and limping back to the little cushion

The hand on her shoulder took her attention , for a moment she stared at it, a bit of fear once more selling up. She had a history, that was for certain in her reaction to him being a soldier and simply being touched. With the hand moving her eyes lifted up to him, staring up at him in a bit of confusion and surprise as he spoke of her having a beautiful smile. It made it tug at her lips once more. "Thank you Rush..." She spoke softly nodding to him before she spoke again. "Tell me, are you hungry?" He had to be, all soldiers were.

As he lay on the strewn out comforter, he looked over then peeked down at his belly
"...Yeah actually, after the abandonment I forget to eat."
He smirked and rolled over, sitting up again and turning to face her
"...I'm not really suspecting you to cook for me, I'd feel obligated to return the favor somehow.."

Kiarra shook her head, he delicate locks falling over her eyes only to be brushed back. "You are a guest in my home, it is my duty. If I had a wife I would offer her to you for the night as well." She spoke, the customs of her people were very much engrained in her and the rest of the country. Standing she moved back to the chest, opening a small trap door that revealed a small store room. Leaning down into it she retrieved bread, cheese, dried meats and fruit. Quickly enough she had it arranged on a small platter before offering it to him as well as a skin of wine.

He blinked curiously as she spoke of her customs, a little confused about the offering of a wife, but nonetheless he didn't question, taking the glass of wine, drinking as he slowly endulged in the tray in front of him. He was modest, hungry but civilized about it, taking his time as the supple juices form the fruit coated his lips only to be wiped away at the bread
"This is very fresh and lean, thank you Kiarra"
He looked down as he picked at some berries but looked up at her
"...You can join me if you wish I don't think I'll eat all of it

She simply sat across from him, still kneeling upon the dusty floor, unsure of what to do or say. She rarely got visitors, let alone had anyone to talk to anymore. With the sandstorm still raging outside she simply contented herself to silence as he ate. His voice breaking her from it. "No, it is fine, I am sure you are quite hungry and I have more for myself."

He smiled, taking the last piece of melon to his lips with a satisfied swallow, smirking at her and setting his bowl down, looking out the window, using his rifle to brace himself up and walking to it, parting the rag tag curtains that separated the glass from himself and then his eyes ventured around the room
"..You folks don't delight in leisure do you..."

"Some of us do, my brother and I don't have much money between us, selling fruit doesn't make one wealthy after all." She replied with a slight nod, seeming almost saddened that he had noticed how meager her life was here. "We have a few books and games, but besides that we can't afford luxuries, after all the government, the ones you and your people are fighting, take the good and leave us with the rest..." There were massive trade embargo's on the country, restricting the people of many items.

He looked down at her and walked back with a slight bobbble, leaning against the wall and picking something out from his side satchel, picking out a gray rectangle and flipped it on, a nostalgic and iconic chime ringed from it and he handed it off to her
"..It;s my old Gameboy, a video game system, it has Donkey Kong, it's very fun..."
He sat down and watched her, wondering how she would react.

She blinked, looking to the noise making box in a bit of surprise. She had heard of things similar but she had never handled one. Holding it gently Kiarra found herself fidgiting over the buttons, only making random sounds and accidentally starting a game only to die instantly. None the less she didn't know it, simply enjoying making the thing make sounds.

He smiled at her innocence in technology, trying to stifle a laugh both at her dying so many times and also the fact she did not get angry when she did.
Here is a woman in a world lost to the outside world by restrictions her government put on her country, handling a toy that never made it near her home as a puppy in a new place, confused and mesmerized at the same time. He enjoyed watching her, soon being lost in her amusement, smirking more and more, slowly walking back to his cushion to give her time to enjoy the toy

She simply had no idea of what she was doing, her features showing more and more confusion before her smile began to grow as she began to understand exactly what the buttons did. Soon enough she was sitting cross legged, something that was culturally impolite for a woman to do before a man though she cared not as she played, moving her body around in response to the actions on the screen. Truly innocent to the technology and yet having fun. Finally she pulled herself away as the generator sputtered and the lights flickered. "Fuel..." She muttered before she looked down to the device and then to him before crawling over and handing it back. "I'll be right back..." Kiarra spoke, standing and wrapping her head up again before digging about in the trap door covered storage space, drawing out an old jerry can, the ease of which she took it out showing it was near empty. She stepped out into the dying storm, the generator coming back to life after a few moments. Coming back in she sighed, offering him a smile. "I'll need to get more fuel tomorrow."

He watched her leave, still having the game, paused but still playing and smirked, putting it aside and standing up, leaning on the wall where the bullet holes were speckled.
He looked around a bit as she was gone, his eyes closed instinctively as the storm was allowed into the house, but opened when she left. He took this time to have a little more look around her house, checking out another poto nearby the wall he was on, perched upon a makeshift counter of deadwood. His fingers gripped the edge of the poor man's frame, inspecting the photo better to see Kiarra and her brother dancing. His face was blank as he looked at some more of the footage of the siblings, getting a feel for how close they were, wondering why he didn't see any pictures of her parents, assuming the worse.
When she returned, he slowly put the picture back down and turned to her, smiling at the woman who was gracious to him, a stranger, a warrior against her land but not her people, wondering why she took kindness upon him and wondering how to return it

Kiarra raised her brows in a bit of surprise as she tugged the cloth down from her hair, letting it once more fall over her shoulders. "That was taken just before this all started..." She spoke motioning to the picture, slowly stepping toward it, a faint smile on her lips. "It was at his wedding, he had just married the daughter of a farmer from the next town..." A slight sigh escaped her, looking up to him. "She was killed a week later... the government leveled the town in response to the uprising of the rebellion, my brother had barely made it out..." It was because he was fighting for her people, even indirectly so, that she was willing to help him. "The only reason this town still stands is because your people struck before the government could..."

His mind went blank and his fists clenched against the table as she spoke of the murder of the town folk, especially a newly married woman and her husband who survived, traveled the desert to escape the harsh embargo and wound up at their site.
He remembered when the man first stepped into their base, he was shaken and devastated, malnourished and shell shocked. But somehow his face always had a smile, as if he knew better times would come
"..Your brother is a strong soul and a good man. We became good friends in the short time we met, told me stories of this exotic land. And he did mention you....I just had to make sure..."
he reached down to his trousers on a side pocket, slowly unlatching the Velcro edge and grabbing a chain, slowly pulling out the links, still clasped to make sure the valuable trinket was still intact. He cupped his palm to hold it preciously, walking to her, and letting it dangle at her hand if she wished to grab the necklace, a foreign symbol to him but one her brother told would bring happiness and safety to those who wore it.
"He was too unstable to leave our encampment and he knew our troops would somehow wind up in your town...I think he knew I would meet you, why else would he give me this to give to you...."
He smiled softly at her, placing the jewel in her grasp

She looked up to him in a bit of confusion as he stepped nearer to her, the action of opening his pocket making her raise a brow. She looked curious while he cupped his palm and produced the jewel in her own hands. Slowly she lifted it by the chain looking it over as a small smile crossed her lips. "Thank you Rush... I don't know how things like this happen, but the gods are funny this way." She spoke before she smiled up at him nodding. She turned around, reaching behind her to tug her hair to the side and unclasp the fastener. "Can you help get it on?" She questioned, her tanned soft skin exposed, showing more of her delicate beauty, though slight scars could be seen from the very collar of her dress, more than likely more further down.

He walked over, unclanking the binding chains to allow it to be strewn in her neck but he stopped behind her examining her skin to see the beauty and the broken flesh. He was worried if either someone harmed her or the clothes she wore were tearing at her skin. But he did not draw on it long, walking to her and clasping the necklace on her skin, smiling as it fit perfectly
"...Matches your eyes Kiarra..."
He smiled softly at her

Kiarra knew he was looking at the scars, her eyes glancing down while she held her slightly curled hair up to allow him to clasp the necklace. "Thank you... again Rush..." She spoke nodding to him before she turned to face him. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him, simple, innocent. Nothing truly implied with it besides her thanks. "You should lay down, you need to rest your leg."

He looked down as she embraced him, smiling and gently wrapping his muscular arms around her back, hugging her in tandem, only in thanks and appreciation, letting his hands drape away form her body and nodded
"...Thank you so much Kiarra..I must repay you somehow..."
He nodded at her in dismissal as he wobbled back to the cushion that folded out as a makeshift bed, laying down but dragging a stool with him, elevating his wounded leg atop the bench