BACKLASH

Delilah Buress

Blinking, she looked at him, and for a long minute, she was quiet, the tension roiling in that small space as even the air conditioner unit collapsed into silence. He was right. Even if he was only using her words against her to fight what they did inside of him, she knew he was right. She was going down a dangerous road...

But didn't she had the right? Didn't they both? To find out - to try? Solomon had been a part of them... a part of their family for too long, and now he was the thing tearing what was left of them apart. Didn't they had the right to stop that from happening? He had taken so much, and now he was threatening the only thing she had left.

The only thing she had left...

Breath snagging on emotion, she lowered her gaze. Solomon wasn't the problem. She was. She was pushing Fisher away because she was scared to lose him. But in the end, if all she did was lose him anyway, what was the point? What was the point of any of it? What would she gain to stop Solomon if when all was said and done, she was alone?

Blinking back tears, she looked up again and crossing the room, she threw her arms around his middle, as she had done the night before, hugging tightly to him with a soft sniff, "I don't want to lose you, Fish. And I'm scared. I'm so scared that I'm going to... and I just... I don't know any other way to stop it from happening."

Fisher Hawkins

The hug took him by surprise. He was nearly sure his words would drive her away, send her stomping out the door. It had been like that a lot when they were kids.. but now, perhaps they knew, that if Delilah walked away, she wouldn't just get to come back in. They wouldn't be in the same house, trapped by the system. If she walked away it would be over.

And he was desperately grateful that she hadn't, more than he ever realized. Fisher returned the hug with an exhale, closing his eyes to envelop her. "I'm sorry." He mumbled. "I don't want to lose you either. I don't know what to do." He pulled away after a little while, running his hand through his hair. "You're right. I.. haven't really trusted anyone in a long time. All my coworkers, I.. I feel like I put on a different mask for them. I'm putting on different masks for everyone I know." He looked at her warily. "You.. know all my masks. Even the ones I tried to forget."

He rubbed his eyes and sighed. "I've been alone for a long time now. I got too used to it." He lowered his gaze, finding the next words he prepared to utter hard to admit. "I'm scared too.. I'm afraid of what Solomon will do. And I lay awake with the blame every night, but at least I put it on something else. Tried to make what I was doing right, get labelled as a hero instead of a villain."

"It'd be better if we.. I.. put the whole thing behind entirely. Before John, I hadn't been searching for Solomon for a while. Every path went cold. Nick was right. It doesn't have to be our problem. It doesn't have to be us." He murmured.

Delilah Buress

As he pulled away, Delilah released him and brushing her eyes with her sleeve hems, she shook her head, "We've wasted so much time, Fish. I don't even know why, anymore. I've been so angry, for so long, and it's just... it's all been a waste. It's like... we lost our chance, you know? To have a childhood. I don't wanna lose this time, too."

Breathing out, she looked back at the folder on the table. It would be so easy to keep going, but for what? Even if she did manage to find Solomon... to stop him? Then what? Nick would still be and she would have a weight on her conscience she couldn't escape. She would be buried beneath it forever, and if she had any hope of a normal, happy life... it would surely be ruined.

Turning back to Fisher, she nodded, slowly, "Okay. You're right. I'm done. I... I already lost Nick, and I didn't have to. If I hadn't pushed... if I had just left things be, maybe things would've gone different. I'm not going to do that again. Not ever again. So, I'm done." Nick was right, and she should have seen that. They should have stopped while they could. But it wasn't too late... not really.

"I'm done, Fish."

Fisher Hawkins

He breathed a sigh of relief that slowly grew into a smile. "Me too." It was like a weight had lifted off his chest. "No more Solomon. It's what he's been trying to do.. control us. No more, not ever again." Fisher strode over to the manila folder on the table, picking it up in one swift movement. With another he had dumped it in the trash.

"We're free, Lilah. We're done."

~~

Two weeks later

After that night, a calmness had settled over Fisher that he hadn't felt in years. The bearing presence of Solomon, lingering over his every thought, had begun to dissipate. He felt freer, more in control, and happier. With the folder of evidence in the trash, it only felt that much more finalized. In the middle of the week on his way home from work he had arrived with a bucket of white paint and painted the walls over. There was nothing left, and he felt amazing.

Well, at least in regards to Solomon. The rest of the time he spent helping Lilah arrange the funeral, calling every member, finding a grave. It was a lot more complicated then he had planned and there were plenty more tears, plenty more aches to fill the ones he has finally patched up. He thought constantly about Nick, filling holes with his mind about the man he probably was, trying to think about any other way he could've gotten there quicker and saved him. It hurt more with everyday, and the scar that formed on his leg served as a reminder.

Knockout had been put on the back burner. He couldn't justify coming home from the shop and jumping out again to crusade about the streets, leaving Lilah alone. He'd only made one appearance in the past two weeks, and that had only been after news reporters had started to question his disappearance and wonder if he had been hurt. It was with a spectacular entrance and an easy criminal defeat he quenched the rumors and promised to continue to be around.

Though his small apartment was filled with a sadness indescribable, it had also become that much more cozy. Delilah had taken to the couch, insisting he was too tall to even fit it, and it was fairly nice to have company. There were times when he felt almost like a child again - cooking eggs for dinner became a near common thing and sometimes Fish would turn on the radio (a very old one at that, the 2017 models were so clunky) and let music echo through the place, old songs that they had listened too. It was a nostalgia trip for sure, but a welcome one.

The day of the funeral finally arrived. He'd rented a suit and had struggled to tie the tie for hours until Lilah came along and fixed it for him. It was strange, he was… nervous. To meet the family of a man he didn't know, but had come too only after his absence. It was strange meeting a family all together. Family was a foreign thing to him. To both of them.

And as he drove them to the cemetery, he was jittery. Hollow and somber and.. Anxious. To watch an empty box be lowered into a grave scared him. But his face was steeled, lips pursed. He had to be strong for Delilah.

Delilah Buress

It was surreal...

That was the only word to describe it. For the past fourteen days, she had worked up to it, struggled to hold herself together through the phone calls and the planning and the stress and the tears, and now the day was upon them, and she couldn't find a single tear. It wasn't that she didn't feel anything - in her heart she knew the pain was there, still... but the emotions all seemed to roil together into a ball, and finding one to cling to became too complicated, too difficult to sort...

In the car, she sat with her hands folded in her lap, trying to keep from bouncing her knees. She'd worn a dress - simple and blue, Nick's favorite color, and every now and then, she would glance over to Fisher, but when she tried to think of something to say, the words simply got lost... driven from her mind by uncertainty and the odd numbness she felt

The funeral itself was a solemn affair, Nick's family comforting and kind to her. Some spoke.. beautiful, endearing memories and heartfelt words, and Delilah was glad for it, but in the end it was a funeral, and there were far too many tears shed and heart broken for her contentment. Afterwards, there was a small gathering in the hall of the funeral parlor. Delilah had considered going home early, but in her heart she knew it wouldn't be right, and so instead, she excused herself from the faces familiar and unfamiliar, and found a quiet place to sit... to sit and reflect, and sort through the mess in her mind.

And maybe some part of her expected something to go wrong, because she wasn't surprised, really, when Solomon approached her. He was dressed in a black suit, hair slicked back from his face - and but for the few years he had aged, he was every bit the boy she remembered, from the scar above his brow to the moony brown gaze, to the upturned corners of his mouth, where a permanent smile rested, like a Cheshire cat...

Rising from her chair, slowly, uneasily, she eyed him, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I... I had to see if you were alright." He started, quietly. He took a step forward, but as she backed up, he paused, frowning gingerly, "I'm so sorry Lilah. I... I never wanted this to happen. You have to know that. He... he wasn't meant to be a part of this." Looking away, he rubbed the back of his neck, as though he had confessed to sneaking peeks at the Christmas presents, rather than having murdered her boyfriend, "It's why I stopped. I mean, I can't stop. I have to finish it. But it's why I've put it on hold. I wanted to give you time." Moving again, he approached and Delilah's knees hit the chair, as she buckled into it.

"...Time for what?"

"Time to grieve. To move past this." Crouching before her, he reached out and she yanked her hand back before he could touch it. His eyes flared and her heart gave a jolt, "Why are you... Why are you acting this way, Lilah? Don't you get it? Everything I've done. It's been for you. For both of you! The way they... the way they treated us, back then? I told you they'd be sorry. All of them, and now they are. I did it for you and Fisher. Why are you acting like I'm some sort of..."

"Monster?" She asked, venom in her tone as she glared at him, "Because that's what you are, Solomon. You... you killed all those people, and you act like you've done me some sort of favor. You murdered..." Breathing out, she pushed herself upright, and Solomon rose as well, looking down at her, "You murdered the man I loved..."

Shaking his head, Solomon frowned, "You didn't love him. Not really. You never said."

"How could you know that...?"

"...I've been keeping an eye on you, Lilah. For a long time. You think this was all just some random happenstance? I acted when I did, because I knew it was time. Everything I've done has been part of the plan. Why can't you just..."

"You need to go. Now." She growled, her hands clenched at her sides.

"Don't do that."

"If you don't leave... I'm gonna--"

"Gonna what?" Stepping closer, he loomed over her, eyes narrowing, "I could kill them all with one touch, Delilah. You want that? What about Fisher? You want me to kill him?"

"You touch him, and I'll-"

"You'll what?" The smile came then, cool and empty, as he shook his head, "Maybe that's the problem. He's distracting you. Maybe I should take him out of the equation..."

Her hand shot out, nearly of it's own volition, and the crack of her palm against his cheek was satisfying, if only for a moment. His smile didn't fade, but his eyes darkened and reaching out, he grabbed her wrist, squeezing it between his fingers, "...That wasn't very nice, Lil..."

Last edited:
Fisher Hawkins

The small talk of it all was embarrassing. He was deeply saddened but when asked of his relationship to Nick, Fish could barely say a word. His hands were constantly in his pockets, perhaps stealing a bit too much of the cheese and crackers and fumbling over his words too often. For the first person that asked, Fisher had spilled half a life story, about Lilah, about meeting Nick, about what a dazzling guy he was. For the last, Fisher murmured that he was an old friend.

It took him too long to notice Delilah's absence. In his defense, a distant cousin had approached him and tears had welled in her eyes. Poor Jasmine remembered playing with him as a child and regretted not befriending him further. Consoling the girl took some time and only afterwards did he notice she was gone.

A sinking feeling fell upon him. It wasn't unlike her to slip away for a moment of silence, but.. Something felt wrong. Heading down a corner that felt protected from the murmurs of the parlor's main room, he found a face he wished he would never have to see ever again.

With steps quiet as the night Fisher grabbed Solomon's shoulder, digging his fingers into his suit. His other hand was gloved, a silent threat.

"Get out of here, Lil. I can handle him." Fish growled.

His lip splitting into a grin, Solomon kept her eyes trained on Delilah, his fingers curled around her wrist as he shook his head, "...You brought him to the funeral? That's kind of weird, isn't it, Lil? What will people think?"

Gaze twitching ever so slightly to the hand on his shoulder, they flickered back to Delilah, with an unimpressed air. Still, his fingers uncurled, as he released her, "I'm done with her. She can go…"

"I'm not leaving, Fish…" She breathed, shakily.

"Yes you are. Because you know what I'll do if you don't."

Cheeks blanched, Delilah looked to Fisher, then back to Solomon, "...I'm not going far." And with a frown, she bypassed the pair, to slip out of the small sitting room.

Slowly, hands raised at his sides, Solomon turned around, "...Good to see ya, Trout. Been too long."

"Don't call me that." Fisher spat. "I'm not your friend. What are you doing here, Solomon? What else do you fucking want from us?" His hands balled at his sides. "At a damn funeral, no less. You've got no decency left." Though his face was cold, his eyes burned with rage. "Leave her alone. Leave us alone. We don't need anything to do with you."

"Ouch. Won't pretend that doesn't hurt…" Breathing in, he shook his head, "But you know as well as I do, I can't do that. Not when I'm so close to making things perfect for her. Don't you think she deserves that, Fish? The perfect, happy life. Or is that you think you can give it to her?" He laughed, softly, and his hands fell to his sides, thumbs looped into his pocket.

"You always had a thing for her, didn't you. I could see it… Hell, I felt it myself, knew what to look for. But you never went there. Even now… with her so vulnerable, so open… you're too damn weak. You make threats, but you and I both know the sort of man you are. You've got no follow through, old friend. And when I take her from you, you're not gonna do a thing to stop me."

"Making things perfect for her?" Fisher scoffed. "You're destroying her life. Destroying everything she built, away from us. It was the right thing to do. Leave us behind. You're no good to her and you never will be."

His anger fell into alarm, but one he knew he had to control. His brows furrowed. Solomon wouldn't catch him off guard with useless taunts. "So you're the kind of man who takes advantage of women, hm? You're never going to get close. Do you think Delilah is some pretty princess waiting to fall into your arms as you burn down every building in your path? You're as bad as John. I'm never going to let you get close."

"You get in my way, Fisher… and I swear to you, I'll kill her, too. I don't want to. You know I mean that. But if I have to, I will. So do yourself a favor, and stay out of it." Pulling his hand from his pocket, he produced a small plastic pen cap, his lip turning up again, "All I need to do is charge it. Should I do it, Fish? Or you gonna get the hell out of my way?"

For the first time, Fisher wavered. His eyes flickered uncertainty to the pen cap and he took the tiniest of steps back. No. No, I can't let this go so easily. Fisher gritted his teeth resteadying his stance, inhaling deeply. "You wouldn't dare, Sol." He said, voice husky. "This whole parade's about her. It'd make it all for nothing. You wouldn't dare."

"They have parades for funerals, too, Fish." He said, coldly, twisting the cap between his fingers, "I said I didn't want to… but I will. Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't mean it. Because I'd rather kill her, then see her with anyone else. It was a happy accident I got rid of the good doctor… and I could kill you, too. So easily. But the fact is, I know what that would do to her. And she's better off dead than mourning your sorry ass for the rest of creation. So you're gonna step out of the way. Got it?"

"So kill me then." Fish said. He hardly hesitated. It wasn't something he needed to think about it. "You might have to wait a couple years for her to get over my sorry ass, maybe a decade or two, but she'd be all yours. Plus in all that time, you could burn a couple more hospitals, maybe some orphanages while you're at it.. It'd all be in good fun, no?" Fisher suddenly grabbed Solomon's hand with his own ungloved, the pen cap held between both their closed fists. "Go on then. They wouldn't have to hold another funeral because we're already at one."
Grinning wildly, Solomon's eyes flickered to Fisher's hand, before he looked back to him, shaking his head, "Don't be in such a rush, Little Minnow. You'll get your time. Enjoy the party. I hear the crab dip is just divine…"

With those words Fisher let his own hand drop, watching Solomon skulk out of the corner. The moment he was gone, he gasped for air like he'd been drowning the moment previous. His eyes were wide, and now, he could feel a tremor roll through his fingertips. He'd not broken in, not yet. And for that he was proud of himself. But Solomon's empty smile rang as true as in every photo Fish had seen, and he knew that those pretty two weeks, those weeks without a single thought of him, were nothing but a false hope and a device in a game he didn't want to play. Now he had no choice but to win.

Outside the door of the sitting room, Delilah waited, and as Solomon passed she nearly cried out in shock at seeing him. He turned towards her and smiling, reached into his pocket and with a glance back behind him, he tossed it to her, winking, "...Boom."

She caught it, and her heart collapsed in her chest as she glanced down, but the object was only a paper clip… a simple paper clip - no glow, nothing. Looking up, she watched as Solomon looked past her, at Fisher, his words like ice down a window pane, "It would be that easy, Fisher. Remember that." And turning, he continued towards the funeral parlor exit.

Staring at the clip, Delilah barely felt her legs give way as she sank down the wall.

Out of the corner of his eye Fisher could see Solomon approach Lilah. He jumped up and stifled a cry, eyes widened in alarm. A paper clip, a normal one, lay in her lap as Solomon delivered his final threat. Fisher's blood went cold as he finally walked away, the silhouette of his once best friend turning the corner and disappearing.

His strides were long, desperate to get out of there as soon as possible. "Let's go." He whispered hurriedly, voice quivering far more then he had hoped it would. He could barely look at her, for fear that it would be the last time. In seconds he was in the car and without a word they drove away.

Last edited:
Delilah Buress

Delilah said nothing, as they drove away from the funeral. It had been easy enough to play it off as an emotional break down, and no one questioned their escape, and she was glad, because speaking... doing... thinking all seemed impossible. There were no words exchanged on the trip, either, and as they arrived back i. Fisher's apartment, Delilah collapsed without a sound on the couch.

She clutched it, still, in her fist. That paper clip. How stupid they had been to assume it was over. How stupid she had been to assume she could just walk away. She had heard it... The exchange between Fisher and Solomon. She had heard every word, and she knew that if it came down to it, Solomon would kill anyone who got in the way.. Even her. But Fisher had been threatened, too, and those words resonated more clearly than any other. Almost more than any other...

Uncurling her fingers, she looked down to the clip and shivered. He was playing games, Solomon... A madman with his chess board, and she and Fisher were just pieces to shuffle where he wanted them.

Hand balling again, she hurled the clip across the room with a cry of frustration, before burrowing her face into her hands.

Fisher Hawkins
He felt cold. It wasn't a chilly day and the suit wasn't anything light, but he was shivering as if it were snowing on his head, trembling all over, teeth clattering. As Delilah headed for the couch he locked the door behind him, all three locks, and leaned against it. He could've.. could've used those two weeks to finally get a step ahead. Instead he lived in a fantasy. A world that didn't exist. What a fool he'd been.

When she threw the paperclip Fisher nearly jumped out of his skin. His hands went up to the side of his head as if protecting himself from an oncoming blow, and then he slowly lowered them when he realized it was just Lilah, only her.. And his breath hitched on words that he didn't know how to say. So he moved to the couch in the center of the room and lowered himself beside her.

"It'll be okay," He whispered, the tiniest of whispers, because that was the most bold faced lie he had ever told. He didn't believe it. He didn't ever believe they would be okay unless Solomon was thrown away to rot, and who was going to do it? Who could even do it when he could throw a paper clip and decimate a building.

He covered his mouth with one hand and tried to reach out with the other, to hold her or hug her or anything at all, but he could barely move his hand an inch further. Every tremor was visible and he couldn't calm himself down. What had she even heard? Anything? Nothing? Finally, a small laugh escaped him. A laugh that grew as his eyes grew wet. They were never going to be free.

Delilah Buress

As Fisher sank beside her, Delilah wasted little time, pushing herself into that half offered embrace. She looped her arms around him and without a word, she held him as tightly as she dared. Solomon could have done it... Could have killed them all. He had powers neither of them fully understood, and his madness had devolved so rapidly she would not have been surprised if it had been his plan all alongnto murder the both of them.

But he didn't, and that was his first mistake. The second was threatening the only person Delilah had left in the world... The most important person in her world...

Tears stilled, she held him for another minute, before releasing him, pulling away with a shake of her head. Solomon would come. She knew now that she had to stop him... But there were other matters. Important matters...

"You're a liar..." She whispered, almost affectionately, misty eyes, holding his, "All this time... And you never said a word?"

Fisher Hawkins

He was thankful she has fallen into the embrace he could barely offer. His own hug was loose, uncommitted. He trembling began to slow and as she finally pulled away he blinked away the tears he refused to let fall. At her words his heart stopped. She heard everything.

Fisher couldn't hold her gaze for long. He looked away, uncertain and uncomfortable. "How… how could I?" He admitted, refusing to look at her. He was never confident enough as a child… besides, the repercussions would have been devastating. If they had ever been caught, he would never see her again. Not that it mattered.

And now, when was he ever supposed to say it? Before or after Nick? It was never the right time and he had never imagined himself being able to confess. He refused to be like Solomon. Fisher would never take advantage.. Never wait for her to be broken down just enough to fall into anyone's arms. That wasn't why he… he couldn't even bring himself to say it.

"I was just trying to be there for you as a friend." He swallowed. "You didn't need that. You didn't really need me."

Delilah Buress

He refused to look at her, but Delilah didn't look away. Whatever had happened, she knew there was a reason that those words had struck her more than any of the others. And maybe the timing was all wrong, but there was also a reason she had brought it up, now.. When there were so many other things to discuss.

But she didn't want to talk about Solomon. Talking about him meant talking about what they would do, and she knew how much it would disappoint him if she told Fisher she wanted to stop Solomon... That she had to. He wouldn't care that it was for him. He wouldn't care that it wasn't about revenge anymore. And she couldn't bear that disappointment... Not now...

"You're my best friend, Fish... What the hell do you mean I don't need you?" Breathing out, she reached for his hands... Looped her fingers around his, "Is that why you left? After everything that happened? Because of this?"

Fisher Hawkins

Too fast. This was happening too fast. He could feel himself choking on his own breath as she reached for his hand, and could barely find the strength to pull away. Why now? Why now Out of fear? Out of desperation, pure loneliness? A rebound? He didn't want it like this. He didn't want it to happen like this.

Of course it had been because of how he felt. Maybe it was even selfish of him, to run away because he knew he couldn't be with her like that.. It was also the fear, the confusion, but… feelings.. Feelings always got in the way and now he knew he had to protect her. Now he knew he was the one who had to bring Solomon down. And for whatever Delilah was to him, she couldn't be dead.

Abruptly, he stood, pulling them apart. He looked like a deer in headlights. "This isn't right." He breathed. "We just.. We just got out of Nick's… I don't want to do this to you." He turned away, his back to her, running his hand through his hair, stressed, so very stressed.

"I can't do this. I can't do it now." He wanted more then anything.. To envelop her, the right way.. But he couldn't. Not with Solomon on his mind, the paper clip being flung across the room.. If he held her she'd get taken away. He had to stop Solomon first.

Delilah Buress

You didn't love him. Not really. You never said...

As Fisher rose, pulled away, Solomon's words rang in her mind, and like a punch to the stomach, she felt the weight of them. Why had she never been able to say it? Why had she never been able to take that final step? She had always assumed it had been because of John. But what if it had been something else... Someone else...?

"Fish..." She whispered, but she knew there would be no point. He was a stubborn man, and had held onto his secret for too long to just give in. And maybe he was right. Maybe she was just pushing because it was all she had besides thinking about Solomon. But Nick's death was too fresh, and she was vulnerable... Alone...

And maybe that's exactly the way Solomon wanted her. Maybe that was why he had revealed what he had about Fisher. Because pushing them apart was too easy when they were both terrified of their own feelings...

"Fish. Don't... please don't pull away." Standing, she reached for his hand again, her eyes tearing up, "We don't have to talk about it. Not now. Not ever, if that's what you want. But please. I... I need you. I can't do this alone. That's what he wants. That... that's why he did this. Please... Don't shut me out?"

Fisher Hawkins

It was the first time in a long time that Fisher was overwhelmed by his emotions. He had a nice little bottle inside, capped tight, but now he couldn't breathe. Couldn't think. It was choking him, all of it.. Solomon, Lilah. The last thing he wanted, the last thing he needed.. Why did she have to be listening?

Her words were muffled to him and his vision was blurring. He jumped at her touch once more, pulling away with quickened breaths, gasping for air. Shivering all over again. "S'not right." He murmured. "Not fair. I can't, Lil. We can't."

"We're never gonna be free." He whispered. "I never asked for this. I didn't want this. I didn't want to do this. I thought I was free and I was wrong. I was all wrong." He slid against the wall and pulled his knees up to his chest, burying his face in his hands.

Delilah Buress

Watching at he pulled away, as he sank down and curled up, Delilah shook her head. This was what Solomon's goal had been. To break them down. To pry them apart. This was how he would win... and she couldn't let that happen. Wouldn't let it happen.

Dropping down in front of him, Delilah reached out and cupped her hands over his, pulling the gentle away from his face. He was panicking, and she could see why... she was fighting it, herself. Solomon had left them feeling as though there was no option but to wait until he took them down. Left them feeling broken and without hope.

"Fish. Look at me." She wasn't going to let it pass. What Solomon had done so far was intolerable. But this? This wasn't going to happen. She wouldn't let it, "Look at me. You gotta pull yourself out of this. Because we can't let him win. We can't. It's okay. I'm not... I'm not mad, Fisher. I... I know you didn't tell me, and that's okay. We're okay. But please... you can't give up on me. "

Fisher Hawkins

As she peeled his hands away from his face, Fisher looked up at her, lip quivering like a child.

"It's me." He muttered, this time letting her hold his hands. "I wish I didn't… I wish I didn't feel like this. I've been trying so long not too, Lilah, I swear.." Fish trailed off, choked up. "There's nothing we can do. We're sitting ducks. He can play whatever games he wants because there's nothing I can do to stop him."

He shook his head feverently. "I tried so long. I tried so long and I came out with nothing. I can't.. If I…" If he did this now, if he really actually confessed now.. He'd be like Solomon. Praying on her when she was vulnerable. It was sick, it was selfish. And all he could hear were Solomon's echoing words, taunting him.

Taunting him like he was still a child. He wasn't anymore! He refused to be, he refused to let Solomon push him around like John had done. Someone he had trusted, put every ounce of his trust in, went and fucked up his entire life. Seven years later and he was still suffering. Still waiting for death or worse. And he didn't know how to fight back anymore.

"There's nothing to pull myself out of." He croaked. "All I have to do is wait. He'll come around eventually. All I have to do is wait." Wait to be killed, or to kill him, Fish didn't know.

Delilah Buress

"Stop it!" The words were forceful, but the heart behind them gentle, as Delilah shook her head, "Maybe it didn't work before, Fish. But you were on your own. And you're not now. You aren't.."

Pulling herself closer, she pressed her forehead to his, forcing him to meet her eyes, "You didn't let me quit, Fish. when I wanted to... You made me push. And I hated you for it, but you were right. If we give up, he wins. All of it... everything he did, he wins. You didn't let me quit, and I'm not going to let you quit, either." her voice softened, her eyes closing as she shook her head, "Listen to me. I'm not mad. And Solomon? He's wrong, okay? I'm not so vulnerable, Fish, that I'm gonna fall apart over this. I'm not."

Eyes opening again, she leaned back, dropping her hands to his once again, "The only way we lose is if we let him push us apart. So don't let him. Whatever you feel... whatever you think it means, don't let it be his weapon. That isn't fair, Fish. Not when... not when there's nothing wrong with it. It's not wrong... it's not... so don't let him make it wrong."

Fisher Hawkins
He jolted at her shout, staring at her with wide eyes. It was enough to shake him out of his self deprecating stupor, and Fisher sniffed, trying to recollect himself. He was begin to see himself cowering, but it was so hard to cross the threshold back when you'd already done it.

He held his breath as Lilah brought their foreheads together, forcing him to look into her eyes. He felt frozen, staring into her features, breath hitched and eyes wide. If he had been piled out by her shout now she had his attention.

"I'm sorry." He murmured, staring down at their hands, intertwined. He felt little. Like they were eight year olds again, holding hands walking into a new home. He'd tried, desperately to run away from those years. Maybe he should start embracing them.

"I don't.. I don't know what to do anymore, Lilah." Fisher said quietly. "I wanted to put it behind me. I really did. He won't let us. I'm sorry I don't know how to deal with it all. I've been .. trying to be strong for years now. But I don't think it ever really worked."

Delilah Buress

Shaking her head, she squeezed his hands, "You have nothing to be sorry for. I know how it seems like the worst thing in the world right now, Fish... But it's not. It's really not. The timing sucks, but I'm glad I know. I... I think we have a lot to figure out, and I want to. Right now, Solomon has to be what we focus on, but that doesn't mean that we can't still... that he's the only thing we focus on."

With a sigh, she released his hands and moving beside him, she leaned back against the wall, "I wanted to put it behind me, too. But part of me isn't sorry that he won't let it go, Fish. Because it made me realize how... how important all of this is. How important you are. When you... when you told him..." Biting her lip, she paused for a moment, as the memory seeped in, all too fresh, all too real, "When you asked him to kill you, Fish. I thought... I thought I was gonna lose you. And it took everything inside of me not to run back into that room to stop it."

"You have always been my friend, but I never realized until today just how much you mean to me. And I'm not gonna let him hurt you. I'm not gonna let him take you away. Before, after Nick, I wasn't thinking straight and I was angry, and bitter and all I wanted was revenge. But this? This is different, and I hope you know that. This isn't about vindication anymore, Fish. This... this is stopping him, before he takes the most important thing in my world from me. "

Fisher Hawkins

Taking a deep and shaky breath, Fisher kept his eyes trained on the ground. It was a swirling mess, and he was struggling to understand what basic context clues she was offering among his clouded mind. He hated the fact that even though they were planning to stop him now, together, Solomon had to be first over everything.

When she released his hands he brought them up again, rubbing his face tiredly and finding himself saddened by the lack of her touch. As she spoke, he found his eyes widening in surprise. At how.. at how important he realized he suddenly was to her. It had always been true for him, but.. though his heart was swelling, he couldn't help but wonder if this was all fueled by the shock of it all. Of Nick's death, of Solomon's return. He was finding every excuse to make this untrue, because it was hard for him to handle.

She had always been the most important. And he'd always loved her for this. For the strength she held in her despite everything, and that was why he had tried so desperately to instill it back in her in those weeks. He was swamped with possibilities, bad ones, good ones. But Fisher couldn't help but look at her and see the same girl, for the first time in a long time. The girl that ended any brotherly squabble and drew superheroes with him. Stole food when he was hungry and comforted him anytime he needed.

It was without thinking that he leaned forward and kissed her. He wasn't the most experienced kisser and it might have been a little awkward. Still, it was an embrace he had craved for so long and never even imagined he would get to do, but.. better now then before they were both murdered by their psychopathic foster brother.

Last edited: