┖ B E H I N D ❧ Tℎℯ ℛeality ┑

The moment Bridgette received that message from police, her heart exploded. Somehow, she ended up blaming this whole situation on herself. Breaking the news to her children was the worst part of the episode. All three of them broke into tears; their waterworks were never ending. "Mommy, where's Daddy?" Every time Bea would ask, she would force a sad smile onto her face and reply, "he's sleeping for a while, don't worry, Honey. He'll be back home soon." Bridgette wasn't quite if she was comforting Bea, or reassuring herself. The answer: both, probably.

Bridgette went to the hospital everyday, but never took the kids fearing that they would spiral into depression like Bridgette had. Seeing the unmoving body of her husband 24/7 really put Bridgette into a bad spot. The thoughts that clouded her mind and the nightmares that haunted her dreams caused bags to form under the, otherwise young, woman's eyes. This made her look about ten years older. Gray hairs also began to infest her beautiful golden locks. There were only a few strands, but it still greatly distressed Bridgette.

She sat by his bedside, in one of those uncomfortable patient chairs, gripping Arthur's hand tightly while smiling slightly. Bridgette was sure she no longer knew how to cry. Either that or, her tear ducts had dried.

Bridgette brought her head down into her hands after letting go of his hand and sobbed dry tears. "I love you, you stupid idiot. Don't forget about me and wake up."

She was such a coward, she knew, confessing her love for her husband when she knew he couldn't hear. He was cruel, sadistic, and stone-faced; it seemed no matter how hard she would try, she couldn't let him go. She felt so pathetic. So useless.

For Caroline, the thought of hearing this kind of news was like a stab in the heart. Losing already her husband, she couldn't let the same fate happen to her one and only beloved son. He was her treasure, her precious golden child. Even when she was at the hospital along side Bridgette, she didn't remark about anything, not a single insult. Just watching the peaceful yet un moving body of her son caused great worry. The woman constantly annoyed the doctors to check upon him, make sure he was alright. Night and day she prayed, hoping and wishing the best. Grabbing on the very edge and rim of goodwill she believed in.

Days passed as she talked to her son while he slept, would any of them trigger him awake? She doubted it. But her trust and faith was now put into Bridgette. It was inevitable, if he would awake, it would be around her. Caroline was ready to put aside the bickering and childish behavior.

Taking in a deep breath, she spoke her words carefully as she stared out the darkness of the night.

"This is harder to put out in words and probably unbelievable to your ears, however... I believe, that you, and only you Bridgette will awaken him. Forget my treatment torwards you, please. I am begging you to awaken him. I'm putting all my faith in to you. And if you're wondering why, it's quite obvious ... the boy was all along swept off into a new world when he married you." She smiled sadly, being reminded of the days she spent with her husband.

"I'll leave you in his care ... " And with that said, the old woman left for that night.

The calender was being slowly marked off each and every passing day. It was already near the end of three months ... Three long painful months of waiting and waiting. Already the snow was melting revealing the buds of flowers. But there Arthur remained, timelessly asleep and unaware of anything.

"Caroline..." She looked down and then back to the old woman seconds before she left. "Thank you."

The only goodness that had come out of this terrible accident was the relationship between wife and mother. It wasn't fixed, no not even close, but they were working on. The two woman loved Arthur enough to shove hate into the garbage.

But after three and a half months, there was no change. Bridgette -as strong and stubborn as she was- couldn't help but to feel more and more miserable. At this point, she didn't care is he forgot about her. He had, no, he needed to wake up.

As Bridgette passed the front desk in the hospital, she waved hello to the nurses she'd become friends with over the past few agonizing months. As she sat in that same painful chair, Bridgette talked about the daily events, the gossip, how she was helping run his business while he slept.

"I couldn't leave all that work to that pig, Miles, he'd steal all the stuff you worked so hard to get..." She clicked her tongue in annoyance. A sad look crossed the woman's features as she said the next sentence, "Bea's birthday is soon. She hopes you can make it. I hope you'll be able to come, too. I bought her a really cute dress and a huge stuffed lioness. Not a lion, a lioness. She's been obsessed with them lately, and I think it's partially because the lion is your favorite animal...hah.."

Bridgette couldn't help but sniffle and wipe her swollen eyes. "The boys are growing up so quickly. James is acing every class, and Charlie loves that American sport- football."

The room was silent for the next couple of hours. The only sound was the ticking clock and the dripping of Arthur's IV.

The woman sighed heavily, and gathered her things. "Goodbye, love." She leaned over Arthur's body and planted the usual kiss on his warm yet cold lips. Bridgette herself was a bit light headed, but that was due to lack of sleep and lack of nutrition. She could still function properly though. Enough to see Arthur daily.

Enough to live.

In the darkness Arthur felt trapped, no light, no memories. Feeling as if he was stripped of everything. But there he was, in the dark, dreams afloat from here to there. Something was missing among them, familiar faces and events. He couldn't remember no matter how much he forced himself to. Every day he fought inside of his head to find the light to awaken. But he didn't know how to save himself. Didn't know how to do it. That was until that afternoon where the sunlight was just right and he felt the brush of lips across his own. His eyelids showered a brightness he thought he would have long forgotten. But with one try and then another, his eyes began to open. His vision clearing. Looking around, he noticed the whiteness and purity of the room. He had to be somewhere ... that helped him live. Or some sort of matter like that.

From the corner of his eyes he saw a women leave. Her long golden hair was kept in a mess, her face seemed sullen and sad. He didn't remember who she was. But she gave off an air of importance, at least to his heart. It hurt, because he didn't know the reason why. Capturing all the strength and knowledge he had currently, he called out one single syllable.

"Wait."

He breathed heavily, straining and ringing his brain for ideas. But nothing was turning up. It was frustrating and aggravating. Why, why was this happening. What was going on?

Was she hearing things, or was this another one of her nightmares? The type of nightmare where Arthur woke up only to die was the worst of the bunch. Bridgette turned her head slightly over her shoulder, her eyes widening in the process as she saw. It was like slow motion; the way Bridgette's emotions changed in a flash. Her whole body turned towards the bed, and her purse and phone fell as she brought her hands to her mouth.The contents of her purse spilled all over the floor, and the hand sanitizer that was in there leaked all over the floor. Did she care? Nope. The woman blinked a few good times just to make sure she was awake. "Ah.." Tears flooded her face in the instances after she realized Arthur was awake. "Thank God.." She cried.

To the best extent she could, Bridgette tried to keep her eyes open in order not to miss one second, but the air and tears stung them like crazy forcing her to keep them clamped shut. "You're awake, thank God." Bridgette's legs gave way in exhaustion and relief.

"I'm so happy." She wiped her eyes, trying to compose herself. But this was a difficult task considering she hadn't see her husban move in three and a half months.

"What will I tell your mother? Goodness, I'll have to bring the kids, and tell Miles to shove off and get the hell out! I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy!" Bridgette kept repeating those words over and over, like she was stuck on repeat. In reality, words just couldn't express how relieved she was.

The thought of Arthur forgetting who she was didn't cross her mind until after she composed herself and sent a lengthy text to Carolin.

"So, how are you feeling, Arthur?" Bridgette played with the wedding band on her finger, staring Arthur straight in the eyes. Even if he did have amnesia, she'd do all in her power to make him remember.

Or maybe it was best that he didn't remember?

For all she knew, Arthur hated being married to her, and hated her even more. What good would come in him remembering? Bridgette paled at these thoughts and gulped painfully. No, I won't be selfish.

"I-I'll go get the doctors.."

Her reaction was quite genuine and touching. How long had it been? What had happened? The only thing he could recall was graduating from college and the fun party times. While she rambled on about his mother, he heard her mention kids ... what and who was she? If he could only have a clue. For quite an annoying moment, the song of London Bridge kept repeating in his mind. As he tried to shoo the melody away it continued to play in a loop refusing to stop. He caught her playing with her wedding band, lifting his fingers to see his own around him. He was speechless for a moment. He was married? Since when did that ever happen?

As the doctors arrived and indeed announced him for having a loss of memory that may take awhile to restore. They murmured towards the woman to bring up as many topics in a day as possible about their past to maybe jar some of those under laying memories. But they did record it as good process. As for Arthur sitting upright in the hospital bed, he was having a hard time accepting the fact that he had lost nearly ten years of his past. Though luckily his brain wasn't damaged in any way, just the memories hadn't computed at all.

So for the next few weeks he began to talk to her, listening attentively and making some clever and humorous comments here and there. He had to admit he was enjoying her company. She reminded him much of the sun. She seemed fazed by his strange behavior as he talked calmly with an occasional smile and joke. She seemed happier and pleased too.

"Ah right, your name is ... ... starts with a B by chance?" He said thinking for awhile. She never did formerly introduce herself, always saying he didn't need her name.

"Oh," she smiled widely and nodded enthusiastically, "it's Bridgette."

The bags under Bridgette's eyes had disappeared and her hair's natural glory returned brighter than ever. Her eyes gleamed with a gentler shine,. She was happier now, and the kids were ecstatic as well. The whole aura at the Fontaine's estate shifted over to a much more joyful type.

"Bridgette...Noble." Instead of using 'Fontaine', her maiden name accidentally slipped out. It shouldn't hurt him though, since he can't even remember his own children.

The woman was quite enjoying this Arthur; he was humorous, and friendly. But, she couldn't help but miss the old Arthur, her Arthur. She felt horrible to think that, but there was no denying the fact that something was missing here.

"Your mom will be here soon with Charlie, James, and Bea. They're excited to see you after such a long time. And it's little Bea's birthday."

Bea had been anxiously awaiting this day all week. She would be turning five, and this was a milestone to both child and mother since she would be off to kindergarten soon.

"Bea told me that you waking up is the best birthday present ever, ha, I thought that was kind of cute," a small tugged to the woman's lips as she leaned back in her chair, relaying every detail to the man sitting in the hospital bed.

"Bridgette... Noble..." He spoke those words as if they were exotic. Unusual.

But everything began to fall into place right after that moment. The song, London Bridge... Bridgette. The scenes continued to flash into his mind. The guilt, the pain, the sorrow. How could a moron like himself even forget his wife. He didn't express a sudden change of expression but he hid his thoughts behind a smile. All this trouble, all of these days. She still waited for him. She could have thrown him aside, she could have ran off. But instead she didn't. She stayed all this time and entertaining him. He didn't want to bring himself to say anything else. It felt like utopia right there but if he didn't say it he knew he would regret it. It was surprisingly that just one word began to trigger his brain like a set of rolling domino From these past weeks, he learned more about Bridgette compared to all the past years. If only he had bothered listening. If he only he had gotten to know her when she was happier and youthful, to find out what she liked and enjoyed. She was a good person and he wished he could have given her the best.

Bringing himself to do it, he sighed and remained his usual composure. He needed to say it. It was time, hell, he had waited forever and it had to be now.

"I'm sorry for everything, everything I caused Bridgette. All these years, robbed away from your happiness. I wasn't there as a suitable husband, I wasn't there as much of a friend either. I ... I never even got to say it but I guess I'm really late at it right now. I really do love you as my wife. I love you, I love you."

The relief of these words brought out a new compassion to his heart, and to seal the deal, he had even dared lean in and kiss her. A long sweet meaningful kiss just like the first. As they parted, he waited for any glass to break for he was afraid of her answer. Afraid to be rejected. But he had no fear, he had put all of his emotion across the table for her. For the love of his life.

At the confession and the kiss, added with Bridgette leaning back in her chair so much, this could only mean one thing. Slight panic hit her like a truck due to the fact that she had been caught off guard, and the woman leaned too far back. Thus, she wildly flailed her arms in attempt to steady herself, but there was no other option but to just fall. She went crashing to the ground, hiding her face in her arms.

Ah...uh..u..the..uhh.. err.. wut.

"You're cruel, you know that?"

She tried her best to muffle the tears and sobs havocking her body.

All these years she'd thought he hated her. She thought he didn't want anything to do with her and only sought her for her looks. She thought all she had to do was be the perfect wife and the story would be fine. But love had to come and fuck her perfect plan up. Bridgette fell in love with him the day she met him. The stupid brain of hers never knew how to function properly, or it seems, it knew what it wanted before Bridgette even came to the conclusion. In a sense she was so stupid that she was a genius. But in the end, it was her own pride and stubbornness that got in the way of her admitting her feelings. Her cowardliness also got out of hand at points too. Bridgette was so scared of a rejection, that she could never say those three simple words that they both apparently felt.

"You made me wait too long."

Her face was as redder than a cherry at this point. She still sat on the floor, hiding her face by burrowing it into the comfort of her arms. "Arthur God-damned Fontaine..." Her voice was wavy and unstable.

Bridgette looked up, revealing her face that was a mixture of angry and embarrassment. Her eyebrows were scrunched into a glare but tears leaked down her blush-stained face. She looked pitiful but at the same time vulnerable. And if you must, provocative. But he couldn't do anything in his state, so HA.

"I hate you.." She rambled on, gripping her shoulders tightly while looking down.

"I hate you for making me love you too."

Arthur smirked, relieved and glad. With this validation, he felt much happier, more reassured that he was doing things right. After all this time, he couldn't believe his stupidity and cowardliness he had building up on his inside. He couldn't express the feelings that lied down inside of him. Without a care in the world, he had gotten up and grabbed her by the waist, smothering her with real kisses that weren't just valueless. Holding her close, he played with a few strands of her blond hair. He felt flashbacks hit him back as he remembered the time of the twins birth. There he was terrified, scared more than ever for her. When the second time came around with Bea, he was beyond grateful for the fact that Bridgette brought such a beautiful daughter to him. He indeed, truly, truly loved her. And like any man, intended to keep her as his. Protecting her from anyone else wandering.

"Glad you hate me enough to wait and love me... mhmm." He whispered in her ear.

As usual Arthur was regaining his old somewhat persona with an edge of playful personality. Without another hesitation, he lifted her chin, connecting his lips with hers again, forgetting the rest of the world even existed. He was just too caught up in his own world with Bridgette.

"By the way, you never minded the ... escapades ... did you?" Arthur said with a grin of accusation referring to their private sessions together. His eyes darted towards the doorway for a few seconds as his brain reminded him of his mother and children too.

Bridgette fidgeted in his arms, still crying. She was overjoyed but angry at herself. "I'm sorry it almost took you to die for me to say this." She said weakly, sliding her arms around his neck. Bridgette tried not to put to much weight against him, as she feared it may strain his body. Such a nervous Nelly.

At his question, the woman grinned and turned towards Arthur with a mischievous smile. Since obviously his old, but improved, self was coming back, she was allowed to tease. Connecting their lips, Bridgette cut off his supply of pleasure shortly after he began to enjoy it. "It shouldn't matter. I know you enjoyed it, you lewd bastard." Bridgette pushed his hospital shirt down his shoulder inch by inch and kissed the nape of his neck biting it slightly. She couldn't help but snicker mentally.

Her ears twitched at the sound of oncoming footsteps, and within a second or so, she shot off the bed and was staring blankly outside the window with a smirk.

"DADDY!" Charlie was the one who practically kicked the door down and flung into Arthur's arms first. James came second, his Mother third, and Bea who shyly peeked around the corner and then ran into her fathers arms. The clever girl pushed the two twins out of the way on purpose, sticking her tongue out at them. "Did you have a nice nap, Daddy?"

Bridgette smiled, looking from each child and then to her Mother-in-law. "Good evening, Caroline." She greeted softly, nodding her head slightly. Bridgette had easily recovered from her daring kisses earlier, and was now basking in the fact that her children could finally see their beloved father.

"Daddy, I lost a tooth!"

"I got an A on a test."

"I love you the most!"

"You do not, I DO."

"I love him more than you both."

"No, I think that's me." Bridgette chided with a wicked smile.

"It's alright, because I could wait for you forever..." He said with a smug smile.

It truly did feel like family right then and there. Arthur smiled as he patted the darling blond curls of Bea who went on about her birthday. As for the boys, they ushered in about sports and how homework still stunk in school. It was heart warming to see that his mother had put aside her dissaproval for Bridgette and had begun to slowly accept her. Arthur couldn't be any happier especially with Bridgette besides him.

"And I love you all"

As night fall came close, the house was at peace while Arthur had showered and put on his pajamas. As he was ready to sleep, Bridgette had already awoken his near slumber with her arms wrapped around his neck, her lips very dangerously close to his. It was pleasant to see that she was actually being more forward and taking the lead.

"I see how it is..." He said with a curved smirk painted on his face.