Axiom: A Sci-Fi Pathfinder RP OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Protagonist

Original poster
History:

800 years ago, the Dark One, Apollyon entered the Sol System and began to devour the sun.

However, before that could happen, humans constructed a super-AI deity known as Metatron, itself the reincarnation of a deceased light god. It invented FTL travel and evacuated humanity. The surviving humans began to worship Metatron and created a new interstellar republic dedicated to justice and progress known as Zion.
Zion soon discovered magic powers, and also contacted many aliens. Most of the aliens they encountered were feudalistic or tribalistic, and had mixed relationships with them.
Though Zion grew to be a major superpower rapidly, all was not well. For various reasons, some people became disillusioned with Zion, so they began to practice dark magic and necromancy. Eventually, they revolted and successfully ceded half of Zion, forming their own empire: The Enigma. The Enigma is a pseudo-communist dictatorship that limits technological advancement and stomps all over individual rights. The Enigma and Zion have been in conflict for over 500 years, with much of the galaxy dragged into their little war.

Races:

-Humans: Homo Sapiens, sapient primates from Earth. Though basically the newest people, they are rapidly advancing technologically and expanding very rapidly too. In Zion humans are the majority species, and most of its wealthy and political elite are humans. Zionite humans tend to value ambition and creativity as virtues.

-Androids: Androids are sentient machines created mostly in Zion (and most of them are built by a specific company called Atlas Industries). Ones loyal to Metatron and humanity are sometimes seen as somewhat holy to Zionites, though they are nonetheless usually treated as servants. They usually don't mind living a life of servitude, as they are usually programmed with personalities that like to do the things their creator intended them to do.

-Drow and Shabti: Drow are non-evil in this setting, and have a vaguely Egypt-like culture. They worship the goddess of death and maintain massive tombs and have extensive embalming processes. They live a relatively hedonistic lifestyle based on getting the most out of life. Unlike in nearly every other setting, Drow in Axiom live very short lives of 50 or so years by default. However, some wealthy and powerful Drow have turned themselves into immortal Shabti. Their society is run by said Shabti.

-Orcs: Orcs are also non-evil in this setting, though there are a good many of them who take to raiding and their society can be pretty warlike. Their society tends to believe that might makes right, and that competition creates strength. Orc culture generally promotes a sense of sportsmanship and honor, however. For example: Orcs will rarely intentionally kill defenseless bystanders-the ones that do are seen as scum even by other Orc raiders. To an Orc, to kill the defenseless is a sign of weakness. Most Orc technology appears to be salvaged and rather Mad-Maxish in look.

-Dwarves: Dwarves live in cold climates and often like to mine mountains for minerals and such. They have a slightly viking-like cultural aesthetic. They believe that the universe is harsh so that they can grow stronger by surviving it. They are often chummy to people they're close to.

-Elves: Elves often live in heavily forested areas and have some sort of mystical/spiritual connection to nature. They love biotechnology, nature, and terraforming, and consider it their duty to spread life across the galaxy. They tend to look down on more industrialized races. Their culture aesthetic is vaguely asiatic, so they tend to use katanas instead of straight swords, for example. Gnomes are relatives and allies of Elves.

-Gillfolk and Merfolk: Also known as Aquillions or the Myr, they are a semi-aquatic race that uses rather steampunkish-looking technology that to some humans might harken back to the golden age of piracy. They believe in a sort of anarcho-capitalist "enlightened self-interest"-type ideology that can more or less be summed up as "don't live for others or ask others to live for you". They tend to be merchants and treasure hunters, with the odd pirate here and there. They also tend to love ship life.

Setting's Deities:

Rangitoto, the Orc god: Fire, War, Strength, Glory (dedicated to Honor, Competition, and Valor)
Thalassa, the Merfolk goddess: Water, Travel, Nobility, Luck (encourages objectivist-like ideology, loves wealth)
Sakrha, the Drow/Shabti goddess: Earth, Death, Liberation, Repose (goddess of hedonism, death, and earth)
Frigus, the Dwarf god: Storms, Strength, Protection (god of survival, winter, and storms)
Shizen, the Elven Gardener: Plants, Healing, Animals, Community (nature goddess)
Apollyon, the Silent god: Death, Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Madness, (terrifying eldritch abomination)
Heylel, the Fallen Star: Community, Law, Evil, Knowledge (Rogue Deity-AI similar to Shodan)
Metatron, the Adjudicator: Good, Law, Knowledge, Glory, Sun (Lawful Good Deity-AI Deity)

Lacondra

The planet Lacondra is an independent world with many diverse environments and home to many of alien species and a few human colonies as well. It has a core made out of material called "Abraxium", which can be used to make super-batteries. It was invaded by the Enigma in order to gain access to this Abraxium.
Seeking to prevent resources from falling into enemy hands, Zion has offered assistance to Lacondra.

Our characters will be people hired by Zion to help it liberate the planet. We could be soldiers sent by Zion, mercenaries, local civilians seeking to help, soldiers of local militias, ect.

Your CS:

Name:
Appearance: (all you need is an image)
Statistical Information: (basically your typical Pathfinder CS)
Background: (your character information)

Homebrew Equipment:
Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

Rules Regarding New Weapons:
Firearm Jamming: This mechanic replaces misfire. During an attack roll, should you roll 2 or less, your weapon jams and you need to spend a move action to clear the jam.

Primitive Ranged Weapons: All primitive weapons (IE, non-firearms like bows) get x4 critical.

Semi-Automatic Weapons: After attacking, as a move action, you can attack twice.

Full-Automatic Weapons: As a full action you may attack every enemy in a line. Each attack roll after the first has a -2 penalty to account for recoil.

Alignment Rules:

This is a mostly good-focused campaign, having said that, evil characters (even chaotic evil) are allowed under the following conditions:

1) They should not betray the party. If you do want a character to betray the party, PM me and ask permission first. Also, I'd suggest not labelling your character as evil if this is your plan.

2) They should have standards that make them less evil than the actual villains. Luckily, this isn't hard to do. In general, your character can be willing to do illegal things (bank robberies, contract killings of other criminals, drug dealing, dark magic and necromancy), but should not do monstrous or terroristic behaviors (spree killings, murdering children, unprovoked thrill murders against innocent people, rape, human trafficking)

3) There should probably a reason why they stick with Zion and why they aren't arrested. Some ideas: they could be working with Zion in exchange for a pardon, or they could consider the Enigma a threat to their criminal activity/too evil even for them ("don't crap where you eat").

Last edited by a moderator:
ed0789a30ab907f39f4ac73155874b3d.jpg

Name: Hidass Eliotos
Stats: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets
Backstory: Hidass is a native to Lacondra. He was an inexperienced trader before he was drafted in the war as a cleaner for the Zion. Hidass have family all over Lacondra, family from the Enigma side and the Zion side.

He is skilled at magic, but also words so he was able to get himself out of fighting in the war directly. He isn't a coward he just doesn't want to kill people who were forced to fight, or even his own kind. He grew devote to Thalassa during his time in the military.

Last edited:
How are we to make are character. Starting money? How to roll stats? Prices?

How are we to make are character. Starting money? How to roll stats? Prices?
20 point buy is how you'll stat out your character, and your starting wealth will be determined by a standard die roll for your character's class.

For equipment, I'm unfortunately still writing out homebrew equipment prices, but vanilla equipment should have the same price as normal.

20 point buy is how you'll stat out your character, and your starting wealth will be determined by a standard die roll for your character's class.
K, how do you want us to present our dice rolls?

You can roll dice right on the forum, actually. Make a post, then clock the extra options and you can roll stuff. I will use this post as an example.

Other things we may need to start: Starting level, if it isn't 1.

What R-9 says; use extra options.

You can roll dice right on the forum, actually. Make a post, then clock the extra options and you can roll stuff. I will use this post as an example.

Other things we may need to start: Starting level, if it isn't 1.
I'm thinking our starting level will be 2, which allows us to multiclass a little at the start. That all cool with you people?

Question: Do you guys prefer armor class or damage resistance? I'm leaning towards DR, but I also heard it has serious problems.

Question: Do you guys prefer armor class or damage resistance? I'm leaning towards DR, but I also heard it has serious problems.
What do you mean?

I would say we should do both since I don't really understand why we wouldn't. I would make normal monsters have bullet or bow (Piercing) resistance depending on their defences.

Last edited:
Since Pathfinder is normally played around a table with friends. I think it would be wise to mix up IC and OOC into one thread as in cleanly distinguish them. Like make it seem like your talking to the table and socializing while you play. Instead of having it be a plain only IC thing with no chat what so ever. For example.

I think David might swing his sword as the Goblin if he doesn't what does thing look like?

David draws his sword and points it at the figure in front of him. We are from Solvant, we require entry.

(That is a really bad example but yo get my idea.)

I've never seen armor as DR in practice, but it seems like it would make things a bit of a slog at low levels, because characters don't deal much damage, and now they deal even less per hit, potentially nothing much of the time. Once characters can hit fairly hard or have access to other means,it's less of a problem, but other issues may appear instead. The reduced defense scores will mean that it's much easier to hit targets at all levels, as attack bonuses often scale pretty quickly. So, at all levels, things will be getting hit more often, and at higher ones, the later iterative attacks in a full attack will be more likely to connect.

Whether or not this all evens out, I'm not sure. But, that's my two cents on armor as DR. Armor as AC does work just fine, though. I don't really know much about running PF or variant rules in it, as the games I've played have been fairly standard in terms of overall mechanics. Which is mostly why I'm advising caution in jiggering with things too much, particularly if you feel inexperienced at running the game yourself.

Though, honestly, it's pretty easy to just say "yeah, this isn't working out nearly as well as I had hoped, let's switch back to the standard rules." So, we can try stuff, and if it isn't working, remove the changes.

I'm thinking our starting level will be 2, which allows us to multiclass a little at the start. That all cool with you people?
This works. It's also starting low enough in level to still be easily vulnerable, while being a little bit outside of the range in which characters will be easily one-shot by enemies who get lucky.

I think I'll wait a bit on picking out what sort of character I'll run, see what we might need between spellcasting support or melee beatings or similar. Though hopefully it won't be just a 3 player game.

I will get my CS done today once I get home. I could try and find a way to add to add it to my character.

Ok. I'm trying to think about my own character. There's three classes I was considering, and I'll probably do a multiclass among two of them:

-Gunslinger
-Tinker
-Inquisitor

Which two do you guys think I should take?

Ok. I'm trying to think about my own character. There's three classes I was considering, and I'll probably do a multiclass among two of them:

-Gunslinger
-Tinker
-Inquisitor

Which two do you guys think I should take?
Gunslinger and inquiziter

I might go for archery magus that then prestige classes into a arcane archery

Since Pathfinder is normally played around a table with friends. I think it would be wise to mix up IC and OOC into one thread as in cleanly distinguish them. Like make it seem like your talking to the table and socializing while you play. Instead of having it be a plain only IC thing with no chat what so ever. For example.

I think David might swing his sword as the Goblin if he doesn't what does thing look like?

David draws his sword and points it at the figure in front of him. We are from Solvant, we require entry.

(That is a really bad example but yo get my idea.)
On the IC thread we'll have some OOC text be in [brackets].

Alright, here's my character's starting wealth:

260. Wow.

Ok. So I'm thinking for balance's sake, we'll have melee weapons increase AC/Defense a little, so that way if you want to play a Jedi-like character who blocks bullets with their sword they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.