Awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amy felt Acha's panic. 'No, humans are not that bad. I just want to be sure that you can protect yourself. You don't have to kill anything or anyone.' Amy said, trying to reassure Acha. 'Its just, if I'm any example, humans will find you beautiful. And some men, when intoxicated, may try and take advantage of you. I'll lend you some pepper spray, and teach you basic moves. I'm not anticipating that this will happen, but I want to make sure you're always safe.' Amy said. She smiled at Acha. 'Im just making sure that I have all my ducks in a row.'

Acha felt somewhat relieved, but not quite. She couldn't quite picture why or how men would want to hurt her just because they think her beautiful, that didn't make sense to her; but she decided to give up for now. She gave a disheartened little nod. She couldn't live here, and Amy only wanted her to be safe, so she had better learn. She was quite touched that Amy was so intent on protecting her. She just wasn't reassured. And what if Amy gets in trouble too, trying to defend her?
Is there any way I can just hide somewhere, at least most of the time?

Amy frowned. 'I wish, but I'd rather have you close to me. Especially with the story of you having a rare disorder. There is a whole community of scientists here and I don't want them poking around.' She said. 'Ill explain it more when we get out of here, but we might want to start heading out.' Amy said.'Don't worry. You'll be fine. I realize I'm freaking you out, but I'm trying to make sure everything is set. The world isn't the best place, but its not that bad. As long as you are with me, you should be fine.'

Yes. Somehow Acha didn't doubt that. As long as they were together it would work out somehow. She found that she was getting attached to her new companion already. Maybe because she was the only one she had, the only safe thing about the world. Maybe because she was there at this most difficult time. But however it was, it was indeed time to get out. She was feeling increasingly hungry, and there was nothing here to eat. But a new worry clouded her thoughts.
The next floor should be the garden. It was open to the sky. But... I don't know if more earth covered it along the years, or, well... if it fell in recently. We have one more staircase to climb at the end of that corridor, it leads up to a little cabin so the rain doesn't run down the stairs... or at least that's how it was. But we should see the light by the end of the staircase. If we don't... then we are buried.

'Lets go. If we're buried, Ill find a way to dig us out.' Amy said. She looked at Acha and sighed. Amy would make sure they got out. She felt responsible for the blue skinned woman. And she was attached to Acha. Amy felt as if Acha was her closest friend almost. Amy was determined. She had always been a stubborn woman, ever since she was a baby. And if Amelia had her mind set, nothing could stop her from achieving her goals. This was now Amy's main goal: the safety of Acha.

Acha nodded. They didn't exactly have a choice, after all, unless they wanted to starve. She led the way through one of the corridors; like all the others, this one too had some unexpected turns, rises and falls to accommodate for ground veins, and carefully calculated arching to keep it stable regardless. They passed several doors in both sides, but Acha didn't want to spend time on anything else now; the sooner she saw the sky, the sooner she would be reassured that they are not covered. Still, when the corridor rose into a staircase, she paused for a moment.
Let's hope.
With that, she started climbing the stairs that twisted and wound around the ground veins as well. She knew the place and made the last turn with closed eyes, stepping out into the garden cabin.
And then she opened her eyes... and it was dark. And she realized that somehow that was what she had expected.

Amelia followed Acha, admiring the quirky architecture. As they entered the garden cabin, Amy was a bit put off that it was dark. All this work, and they were stuck. Well, how about that? Amy fumed, anger making her neck flush. Still determined, Amy took out her flashlight and turned it on. All of the plants were dead, except a few that had grown through the dirt ceiling to the sky. The fact that a few plants had grown through gave Amy hope. Amy walked around for a moment, searching, until she came across something that resembled a shovel. 'Acha, I think I can dig us out. I just have to find an area where the dirt is thin enough.' Amy said

Amy's determinanion brought back Acha's as well. If Amy didn't think they were trapped, then they weren't, and they were going to get out. That was all she needed to know; now this was merely a problem to be solved, nothing to get discouraged over. She stepped closer to the wall and pressed her hands to the surface.
Could you make a loud noise? I will find the thin part.

'Yeah, I can. I am a bit boisterous.' Amy thought, taking a breath. As she was about to scream or something, she stepped on a rock that hit her foot wrong. "OI!" Amy yelled, hopping for a moment, shaking out her foot. "Damn. I'm going to have a righteous bruise." She whispered to herself. 'Sorry about that. So, have you found the thin part? Im a bit anxious to get out of the dark.'

Amy's shout of pain also echoed in her mind, and it stunned Acha for a moment, almost making her forget to check the walls. But she quickly recovered and moved her hands lightly around, studying the way the shout reverberated in the stone and earth; if she was to help, she should probably do that by getting them out of here. Only once she found what she was looking for could she allow herself to turn to Amy again.
Here, I think, past the upper part of this window. Are you all right? Does it still hurt?

Amy grabbed the odd shovel looking object. Acha's concern made her smile. 'Im fine. Its a bit sore, and I'll have a bruise, but its nothing some ibuprofen wont fix.' Amy said. 'Stand back. Its time for us to break out of this darkness.' Amy held the shovel with both hands and thrust it into the spot that Acha had indicated. A little bit of light peeked in, and Amy thrust the shovel again. The light spot grew, and Amy put down the shovel, wiping her hands on her jeans. Amy got up on her tip toes and grabbed the moist earth, shoving it to the side, making a large hole. 'I think this is big enough. I can hoist you out of here and find something to climb out on.'

Acha smiled with relief, both at the light and the touch of fresh air on her face, and the knowledge that Acha would be well. But a touch of nervousness was mixed with that relief. What was she going to see? What had become of the world? What if there were scores of humans standing outside, waiting for them to appear, so they can attack them? She found herself glad that she was going first. If that happens, she can at least warn Amy to not come out. It wouldn't be so bad if she dies. Amy could go back to her life. But if Amy were to die... what would become of her, what would be left for her to live for? She tried not to let those thoughts reach her companion; there was no reason to make her sad.
I'll try to find something to lower once I'm out. I don't think there is anything to climb in here.

Amy smiled at Acha. 'I'll manage.' She said, wedging the shovel between two rocks. 'But if you find something good, give me a shout.' Amy said. 'Alright, im going to have to touch you. You ready?' She asked. Amy was a bit nervous, but she was more excited to get out of this dark pit.

Acha gave a nod. Ready. She braced herself for the still unfamiliar touch, and lifted her arms to hold on and climb out herself as soon as possible. She was impressed at the strength of her companion. She couldn't imagine she could lift Amelia, not even a little, not even for a moment. And Amy didn't seem much bigger than her.
As soon as she had her head and shoulders out through the hole, she threw her hands forward to grab onto the roots of a tree, and started pulling herself up. It wasn't easy, and she was very aware that her dress, the only possession she had at the moment and, at least until they go back, the only keepsake from her town and her time, was now soiled. But what choice did she have?
She looked around; there were, as far as she could tell, no humans in range of her sight or mind-feeling. Only plants and unfamiliar ruins that certainly didn't belong to her people. But at least it was a peaceful place. She could see a few large metal contraptions off to one side, things that she didn't know the purpose of, but they weren't doing anything, so they didn't seem to pose any danger.
It seems safe. Let me find a branch for you.
There were several of those, bigger and smaller branches that were broken off alive by some strong force. She didn't like the look of that, on second thought. But whatever the source of that force was, it didn't seem to be here now. She chose a branch that she thought would hold Amy's weight and reach the ground, and dragged it near the hole, so that the leafless end would poke through.
Can you pull that in? I don't want to drop it on you.

As Amy lifted Acha, she was pleasantly surprised at how light Acha was. It was easy to hoist her through the opening. Amy hoped there weren't any hikers out, or the odd curious scientist. Amy grabbed the shovel and placed it in the ground under the opening. She mentally thanked her aunt for putting her through ballet, even though Amelia had hated it. 'A branch? Sounds like a good idea.' Amy said, ideas circulating in her head. Amy waited a moment, patiently awaiting the branch. As Acha shoved the branch down, Amy took ahold of it. 'I've got it.' Amy said and pulled it down. Amy pulled the shovel out of the ground and stuck the big branch in the ground to where it was stable. Amelia grabbed the shovel and stuck it in the thick end of the branch. When she was met with a satisfying thunk, Amy climbed up onto the branch. After a moment to catch her balance, she hoisted herself on top of the shovel, only barely balanced. Amelia found purchase on the dirt and hooked her foot in the handle of the shovel, wrenching it out of the branch. She kept the shovel on her shoe as she pulled herself out of the hole. Amy brought up the shovel as well and laid down, panting. 'God, that took a lot of work.' She said, her muscles already beginning to ache.

Acha squatted beside the lying form of her companion. She hadn't expected she would feel this much lighter now that they were both out, alive and safe.
It was late in the afternoon, so it seemed, and true to what Amelia had said, it was indeed much warmer; for her, the perfect temperature. The vegetation was different from what she knew, but it still looked remarkably like normal vegetation, just with other species. She realized she was very hungry. With an apologetic smile she started picking off the leaves from the protruding end of the branch they had used as a ladder. They weren's as filling as fruits, but theyy were there, they were already broken off and they would go to waste. She preferred that not to happen. Plants were ensouled too, and while fruits were designed to be eaten by the plants themselves, a leaf would just fade, so if it can still serve some purpose, that would be in eating it. She turned to the resting Amy.
What do we do now, I mean after you finish resting and I eating? It will be evening soon. Where do we sleep?

Amelia sat up, beginning to catch her breath. 'My little condo house thing is only about a twenty minute walk from here. I know the way pretty well, so we should be ok even in the dark.' Amy said, pulling out her water bottle from her bag and taking a deep drink. Amy pulled out an apple and some trail mix, chewing on some nuts before taking a large bite from the apple. 'Oh, I managed to snag this shovel from the garden place. A little reminder of home until we get back to retrieve some of your things.' Amy said, making sure the shovel stayed far away from the hole. Amy looked Acha over and pursed her lips. 'I have a shower and extra clothes at the house. I'll be able to wash your dress, I think. What sort of material is it?' Amy asked

Acha took hold of the shovel - still eating with her other hand - and put it on her lap, like a treasure. Her clothes weren't going to get much dirtier for that now, anyway. Thank you. That means a lot to me. Not the shovel, but that it's from home. And that you thought of it. Thank you.
She wondered what Amy's home would be like. She knew hers looked strange to Amy, and she assumed Amy's would look as strange to her. Would it be safe? She hoped it had some way to keep out other humans. Not like the rooms of her people; one could open whichever door at any time, but one didn't do that, of course, outside of emergencies. Humans would probably have something for that, as they probably aren't as courteous... I'm not sure what a shower is, because I don't understand the concept. But as for my dress, it's woven from spider silk. Most of our clothes are... were. I think it can be washed too, I just hope that I didn't tear it.

'No problem.' Amy said with a cheeky smile as she finished her snack. She kept a close eye on Acha as the bluish girl pondered things. Amy didn't say anything, but allowed herself to further examine her new friend. 'A shower... Er, its where you stand under a little metal or plastic circular thing called a showerhead and water comes from it and helps you to wash yourself. Do you know what a bath is?' Amy asked. Both she and her companion were caked with dirt and sweat. Well, the sweat part just Amy. She couldn't tell if Acha had perspired at all. Amy looked at the dress in awe. 'Spider silk? How in the good lords name is that possible. Oh wow. Ill have to handwash it then. I wonder how you weave it. Its beautiful.' Amy said, looking at her own unflattering shirt and shorts.

Yes, we do wash ourselves. We have a pool for that that we led a spring into. Well, it's probably dry now - the spring usually went its original way, and we only led it in there when we needed. But I couldn't show you everything. Maybe when we come back. Your contraption sounds quite different. I'll see, I suppose. She smiled a sad little smile; wasn't everything different? And then someday I'll show you how we weave spider silk, that is, if there are still spiders. I'm probably not as good now, I haven't done it in a long time... well, of course, but even before we hid. Your people do weave things though, your clothes seem woven too, so maybe it won't be so interesting.
By this time she was done picking the branch clean. She wasn't so hungry and tired anymore, and it was slowly getting darker.
I think I can go on now, when you feel rested enough.
Go on... Well, yes, at least she hoped she could go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.