Awakening Anew

Yumi was glad that she had worn her pants today rather than the dress to celebrate her birthday. After he had spoken, she fell silent. She grumbled once when her hair got caught in a branch. Instead of shrieking and carrying on, she paused, keeping her eyes on the man that moved ahead of her and let her fingers move quickly, untangling the hair quickly enough sot hat she could rush to catch up with him. As she moved she pulled her long hair back out of her way and into a bun which she secured to the back of her head with a few hair ties. She was nothing if not resourceful and quick to catch up. She wasn't going to let him just leave her behind. Not in the middle of the forest. As they went she blinked as a small creature fluttered in front of her face and then went to hover over Cero's head. She blinked a few times and tried to focus in on the hovering creature. It was a small girl with wings. Her skin seemed to be made of wood and her clothing was out of leaves. Stunned, she only continued to follow Cero, her mouth wide open as the creature sat on the basilisks head, a soft giggle coming from it as it rode along.

Grunting, he came to a stop for a short moment. Standing up straight to pop his back, and shoulders and then moving on once more. The small thing sitting atop his head didn't seem to phase him much. Since he had no real care that she was there. She did make his movements a bit more difficult, seeing as he felt he had to accommodate her since she had decided to hitch a ride. "How long do you plan on sitting there without at least saying hello."

Finally they came into a small clearing, a small stream running by with a large stone at it's center. He climbed on it and took a seat, his tail wrapping around part of the rock. This wasn't their final destination, but he felt there was no harm in stopping so the little witch could catch up and he could have a small conversation with a very tiny creature.

The creature giggled again when addressed and climbed forward so that she was looking down at his face, but didn't speak until he had relaxed down on the rock. "Hi!" the little creature said at last. "What is a man like you doing here? This is for us that live with the trees. Not big shiftyshifties." It was an accusation at all from the way the little creature was acting. She was just mildly curious. It was rare after all for anyone to come this deep into the forest. "And why big shiftyshifties bring girl? Are you going to do baaaad thing with her? Does she know you are a shiftyshifties?"

Yumi listened to the conversation as she sat at the bottom of the rock. She couldn't keep from grinning. The little creature was so adorable. The little mythology that she knew popped into her head and she climbed up to examine the little creature that was still on Cero's head looking down at his face.

Cero gave her a soft smile, feeling a bit cross eyed as he stared at her. As she finished speaking he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath and looking at her once more. "Well aren't you a curious little one." He chuckled softly, poking her head softly. "I'm here to teach the witch some earth magic, I'm her familiar. It's the job I've been given." His tail unwrapped from the rock, poking Yumi softly in the stomach. "And just because I'm a shape shifter doesn't mean I don't live in the forest as well. Granted I live in a different part of the forest. I'm sure this would be considered your turf. Nothing but tree's tree's and more tree's."

Chuckling again he brought his tail around to the front, wrapping the tip around the small things waist and pulling her from his head. His tail set under the small things feet, handing before Cero as he continued explaining the situation. "If she didn't know what I was before, you certainly just gave it away," he smiled, teasing her a bit. "Do you think you can help me find the hidden mountain though? I don't remember what the damn thing is really called, but that's where the young witches' training will be held."

As the creature was lifted up, she laughed and spread her arms out like she was really flying until she was released. She did not fear this man. The trees would come to her aid if she asked them to or if this big man tried to hurt her. "You want Abala's mountain? Why you want that? I can lead the way," the little forest girl said with a giggle as she laid out upon the surface beneath her, "If you tell me where you live so I can visit. I'd like to see what a big shiftyshifties live like. One such as me does get tired of the same trees after a couple hundred years. Please?"

"She's so cute," Yumi finally said, smiling down at the creature. "What is your name little one?"

"I'm Kilahi," the little creature pipped up to the question, "Your voice is pretty. It sounds like cousin wind on cousin water. Yours," she looked up at Cero, "Sounds like brother earth settling in place, only louder and quicker."

"Abala! I knew it started with--" He paused, cocking an eyebrow at the little thing. "Abala? I can swear it started with a "J." Crap." He looked out of the corner of his eyes toward the left, trying to figure out where he got a J from when the name of the mountain was Abala. Finally shrugging, he returned his attention to the little thing. "We kind of live everywhere. There is no specific place." Chuckling, he patted the small one on her head lightly with the tip of his finger. "I suppose there are some of us in the forest, just spread out. I'm sure there's a few in your forest as well, just maybe hiding or living among you. If you'd like to leave the forest though I'd be glad to have you travel alongside us. I'm sure we can help you as much as you'll be able to help us."

He moved his tail a bit to accommodate the two as they spoke, letting the little one sit before Yumi now, though still letting her sit on his tail. "They may look sweet but these little ones can be pretty dangerous. I believe a few like her were recruited to a few rain forest that are being burned to the ground to protect whats left." He spoke, grinning at the thought. Something about being part of a war, even a small one always seemed to intrigue him. Now he simply listened to the two talk, trying to pronounce the small creatures name in his head. "I am of the earth, so that doesn't shock me much."

"It only became Abala's mountain with Jaxas died a few years ago. It was sad. Jaxas was a biiiiig tiger shiftyshifties that ruled that place but somehow he got lost in the forest and was killed by a human. Abala took over caring for the mountain. Abala evil. She hates most of us tree folk," Kilahi said with a sad droop to her wings. They however shot back up when the big man told her she could come with them. "Really, big shiftyshifties? I can come with you? Would that be okay miss wind-water?"

Yumi blushed at the nickname and smiled, "I would not mind such a cute girl as you to come with us," she agreed with a giggle. "It would be okay Cero? We wouldn't be hurting the forest or anything by letting her come?"

"Nope nope! My last home tree was taken by stupid humans so I've been living without a home, waiting and waaaiting for something interesting to happen. And you two are so interesting. I've never seen a shiftyshifties and a human work together. I've never seen a shiftyshifties be a familiar either," Kilahi announced.

Cero only listened up until a point, smiling triumphantly. In his mind he repeated the same phrase, 'I knew it!' He did this for quite some time, only half listening to what the little one had to say about the new ruler of the mountain. "I remember that dude. He use to call me a runt while we were in class, then I got bigger." Another triumphant grin spread across his face, the death of his friend not phasing him much. "Geeze, that was centuries ago though." Now he was just talking to himself, knowing that the girls were having yet another conversation.

Only half listening to their conversation, he peered over his shoulder at the two. As he began to try and speak, the little one answered for him. Once again he only listened to the conversation continue on. As he heard Kilahi's last sentence his tail wrapped around her once more, bringing her before him. "We'll need to keep our mouth shut about that last part, now won't we little Kilahi." He smiled softly at her, his voice rather stern. Setting the little one down, he stood up straight.

"We're moving to slow. Tell me where we're going and you two can just hitch a ride. Not that little Kilahi wouldn't have done that anyway."

Kilahi tiled her head as Cero told her not to talk about shiftyshifties and familiars. Now her curiousity which was bigger than most nymph's was peaked and she couldn't say no to traveling with them. She flew into the air and sat on Cero's shoulder. "I like big shiftyshifties," she announced and relaxed back as if that's where she would be staying. Yumi couldn't help but smile at her before rising to stand as well.

"I've only been sitting since you have been sitting. We could have gone on for all I care," the woman announced. She didn't like being weak or appearing weak. She would keep upw ith this man as long as she could and drop dead before admitting she was tired. Which she really wasn't. She was used to long treks--just not long treks through the forest. How much harder could it be to go up a mountain? But this Abala person didn't sound too nice. Why were they going to such a place? Could it really be because he was going to train her in earth or because he was going to offer her up as a snack to this Abala.

"Don't be stupid Yumi. We're moving to slow because we're walking." Cero said with a grunt of annoyance. He peered down at the little creature that sat comfortably on his shoulder, giving her a questioning look. "Your quick to get yourself comfortable." His tail flicked about behind him as he changed his form. It was a simple process that could happen quickly, or over a short time of a few seconds. Simply depending on how much energy was put into it. He chose the quicker route. Going from a tall standing man, to a large lizard. Eight legs helped support his weight, his scales gleaming in the sunlight as he turned to Yumi. "Get on." He grunted out at her, his tongue letting out a small hiss after.

"Why should I not be quick to get comfortable? Only stupid peopl find reason to be uncomfortable when they could get comfortable so quickly." Kilahi answered before grabbing onto the place where she sat as he became his lizard form. She laughed and crawled up into a better position so that she wouldn't fall off.

Yumi on the other hand stumbled back from the creature that now stood in front of her. Her eyes were wide and large as she backed away from the lizard like creature. Up until that point she'd been humoring her more fantasy oriented self. But this was--this made it all real. And the fact that he wanted her to ride on his back didn't make it feel any less shocking. But, she was already in for the ride no? Taking a deep breathe to calm herself she stepped forward and looked at the creature, trying to find the least embarrassing and least strange way of riding him. Finally she simply sat down and wrapped her arm around his neck, fearing that she'd go flying off.

He let out a small snort, his tail finally laying still behind him. I seemed like a natural response for him, getting lazier in this form than his other. He still peered over his shoulder now, a bored look in his eye as he watched the small thing scramble up his scales. Then turned his attention to Yumi. "Relax kid, I told you I'm a shape shifter. You were bond to see me in this form eventually." As he spoke his tail began to twitch behind him again, following the tone of his voice as it lifted from the floor and swayed about slowly.

Once Yumi finally crawled on, Cero adjusted himself accordingly. "Just don't choke me." He hissed softly at the girl before trotting about. Moving slowly at first as he got use to the added weight on his back. Soon he picked up his pace, leaping through the tree's with ease. His strong eight legs propelled him forward with great speed. "Where am I going Kilahi?"

Yumi squeaked as he took off and gained speed. Soon she was laughing and looking around as the forest sped by. "You are amazing Cero. You really are," she said with a giggle before resting her cheek against his rough hide to watch the forest rush by. Her grasp around his neck relaxed and soon she was barely holding on, used to the speed.

"Head east Big ShiftyShifties. And then take a right when you get to the next lake," Kilahi said as she tumbled back against Yumi's body at the speed. Even the small nymph couldn't travel at this speed and it was frightening. Instead of enjoying it as Yumi did, she curled into a ball under Yumi's chin which provided just enough cover to keep Kilahi from being thrown away into the air.

In his mind he was smiling at Yumi's comment. Seeing as facial expressions weren't something easily done in this form. Intern he simply nodded a small bit, leaping into the tree's when he felt it was necessary. He leaped from branch to branch before landing back on the forest floor. "Gottcha."

He sped up now, comforted with the fact that he now knew where he was going. Upon reaching the lake, he found himself sliding into the turn. Only barely noticing the water. He tried to gather himself sooner, but at the speed he had been going found it rather difficult. One of his legs slipped into the water, his tail along with it. He rushed forward again, quickly regaining himself after the slight panic. "Sorry about that." He chuckled to himself quietly as he picked up speed once more.

Reactions: 1 person
Yumi had nearly fallen off the lizard creature, though she'd ended up laughing as he righted himself. Her hands gripped his shoulders to keep from flying off and she dug her face into his scaly back. The poor nymph tucked herself tighter in under Yumi's chin as the 'wild ride' turned into a almost wild fly for her. A squeak allowed those near her to understand her distress, but Yumi hunched a little so that Kilahi would be protected on most sides. "Don't worry about it. We'll be safe," Yumi called over the wind before looking forward as a mountain started to rise up above the few openings in the tree branches that she could see. "I can see it Cero. We are getting closer."

Cero soon noticed the mountain as well. Sitting comfortably at the center of the forest, demanding attention as it stood above the tree line. As he took a finale jump through the branches, he slowed down. Pacing slowly through the tree's to their final destination. By this time the sun seemed to be soon setting. Slowly beginning to hide behind the tree tops. His tail hit the trunk of a tree lightly, creating a soft thud that sent a few creatures scurrying about. "Alright, I believe we're here." Looking up, his bright eyes examining the look of the mountain. "Since when did the mountain stand so tall? Originally it was lower into the ground. Like it was placed in a giant hole in the Earth and left to grow from there."

He came to a stop after coming into the clearing of the mountain, looking at it curiously. He was intrigued by the change, though his face didn't show it. Laying down, he let out a sigh. Watching the grass beneath him sway from the sudden rush of air. From that point on he was seemingly limp. Having no wish to move any further, wanting only sleep. "We'll start training tomorrow twerp."

“The mountain grew when Abala took over,” Kilahi said to Yumi, who repeated the information louder so Cero could hear. As Cero laid down on, the young woman picked up Kilahi and rolled off Cero. She stumbled a little as she tried to get hre legs under her before collapsing into a cross legged position against Cero’s side.

Kilahi flew away to rest in a tree and Yumi pulled out some food. “Stop calling me twerp and we won’t have a problem, eight legger,” she muttered. “What do you eat? Meats, fruits, veggies?” Despite the question, she held out a handful of the berries she had bought the day before in case he liked them. After all, who on earth would know what a basilisk ate?

"Eight legger? Now that's truly insulting." Cero mocked her before turning away and transforming to his human form. "This Abala person already really pisses me off," he grunted out, now laying on his back with his hands locked behind his head. His eyes remained close as he relaxed into the grass. Still bored, and still tired. The suns fading rays only reminded him that he hadn't taken one nap that day and was eager for sleep. He listened to the almost silent, Kilahi, make her way into the tree's. Peeking at her for a few short seconds.

He yawned as he looked at Yumi, then down at her hand. "Yuck. I prefer meat. I'll go hunting some time in the morning." Shrugging a bit, he rolled over to get a clear look at Yumi. He didn't fully understand the point of witches and wizards and all other sorts. To him they were highly unnecessary beings meant to be hunted, not helped. "You know, it's pretty obvious your a witch. With the way you look and all." He grinned, "I mean, you've got the nose for it for sure. Just need green skin. Then again, if you got any uglier you'd break every mirror you walk past." He rolled back onto his back, yawning once more as he closed his eyes. Waiting for the suns light to vanish all together.

Yumi stared at the man as he rolled away. She reached up at her delicate nose and ran trembling fingers over it. Was it really that big? She wasn't quiet sure how to take it for a moment. Every word he said was hurtful and as a whole it stabbed her a little, though she refused to let him see it. Instead she went rustling in her bag and pulled out a turkey sandwich that was half-smashed from being stuffed in her bag after a hurried get away the day before. Looking at the sandwich, she pulled it apart, putting half on the plastic baggie and slid it over to Cero. "You shouldn't wait to eat," she said, her voice small but indifferent. Her face was calm as the inside slammed around angrily. A very useful skill that she found that she had was to never let others know just what she was feeling.

However, if she stayed where she sat at that moment, she wouldn't be able to contain it more so she rose and pulled her pack up onto her shoulder. She hesitated. She was in the middle of the forest with no idea where she was and a limited food supply. She was sure that if she really had to she could find another creature to get her out of there, but at the same time, she was curious. Just what could she do? If she left now would that be like giving up? Her eyes landed on the mountain and looked it over. Squaring her jaw finally she started off towards it. Cero could stay out there in the clearing for all she cared. She had tried to be nice, and he's insulted her for her trouble.

Cero simply grunted, ignoring the sandwich al together. "No thanks, I prefer raw meat. You'll probably be needing the energy far more than me." He rolled over once more, this time leaving his back to her. The world seemed to be moving in slow more for him, and he was growing rather tired of it. He let out another sigh. Once again watching the small breeze make it's way through the blades of grass. He could feel Yumi behind him shifting around, but chose to ignore it all together. The girl herself was trouble enough to him that day. The thought only reminding him that he'd be spending so much more time with her.

He turned himself about as he felt her begin to move, watching the girl. A look of boredom that seemed forever permanent on his face. Slowly, he got up and made his way after the girl. Taking a short leap in front of her. "Where do you think you're going without me?" He stared down at her curiously.