Awakening Anew

Yumi wouldn't have had the energy to move even if Cero had told her to run. Tired, she simply lay there against the tree, small creatures dancing around her in silently delight as a scream released into the air by the pinned, hurt cat woman. "Do-Don't torture her," she whispered, unable to make her voice louder than that. "Don't make it last longer than it has to be. Quick, painless. As any true hunter should do for his pray out of respect." She didn't think he would hear, and in fact didn't plan on it being anything more than a whisper to the wind, but Kihali had joined them and heard as did others that fluttered around her.

"Stop! Stop please! Listen to your witch! She said mercy-mer-AGH!" Abala cried, slashing out with clawed fingers as she tried to push the man creature off.

"Mercy? You think someone as myself would waste my breath on such a pathetic thing. I'll let the Earth swallow you up and do as it pleases with you. You aren't worth my time." He hissed out at her, her claws practically having no effect against his scaly flesh. He'd meant what he said, the grass beginning to stir about around them as it pierced into the cat's flesh, latching onto her bare flesh. Cero held her down as the process continued before the green of the grass began to spread, claiming her as part of it now. As the blades began to reach up to him, he finally changed form and got up off the women. Leaving her to the earth as he'd stated he would.

"Geeze, I despise these earthly made shape shifter's. Always stand so high and mighty as if they could go against a being as myself." He scratched the back of his head, walking toward the mountain. Whether nature chose to spare Abala's life or not was of no concern to him. "Come on Yumi, get up." He said bluntly, the shield he'd created for her falling back into the ground where it belonged. "Despise using magic," he grunted out. Hands in his pockets as he looked the large mountain over.

"Kihali. I believe since I took care of the damn cat I get to choose who this mountain belongs to right?"

Kihali looked at Yumi that didn't move when the protective barrier was lowered to Cero. The nymphs that had started to celebrate as the cat woman was dragged down into the earth all seemed to freeze as they turned to look at the creature that had taken over Abala's territory. Kihali moved slowly forward until she fluttered two feet in front of his face. "The mountain is yours should you so wish it, or you may pick the next controller, or you may simply wait for the next person that has been destined to protect it," she said, before looking at the mountain in a wary way. "But I think you should check in on Yumi first. She isn't trying to get up. The ownership of the mountain can be decided later."

Kihali wasn't completely right. Yumi was trying to get up. Trying being the key term in that. Her body felt like lead and as she tried to push herself up, the more her body just wanted to lay there. But Cero had ordered her to get up. She was finally able to get onto her hands and knees facing the tree and was going to use the tree as leverage to get up.

"Yumi will be fine. She has to get use to the amount of energy it takes to use her magic." He peered over his shoulder at the girl, smiling softly. A bit more satisfied, and less aggravated by the thought of being around her for his whole life. So long as she stay'd as stubborn as she had been, it would keep things interesting for him. "It'll get easier as you learn to get use to using your magic kid," he shouted over to the girl as she forced herself up.

"Now, back to business. The mountain. I guess I'll take control of a mountain. But I have a request to all of you." He turned back to the vast amount of little tree nymphs that were over joy'd only seconds ago. "I'll need the help of all of you too look over this mountain if it's not to much to ask. I can't stay here permanently, I have to look over the young witch there." Running his hands through his hair he returned his attention to Yumi, heaving out a short sigh. "So will you all help me?"

Yumi looked over her shoulder at him as he called to the nymphs to help him control the mountain. She had finally made it to her feet by this point but she didn't stay around. When she felt like she could stand on her own two feet without the use of the tree completely for support she slipped away from the ecstatic party that seemed to take over the trees and their protectors. As she had told Cero, she was good at slipping out of situations when she put her mind to it. And that was exactly what she wanted then. She moved away from the spot and towards where they had rested until she collapsed next to her pack again. "Maybe coming back here alone wasn't such a good idea," she mumbled to herself as she pulled her pack close and curled her body around it.

"We will do that for you Shifty-shift," Kihali said, her own energy seeming to pulsate as her kind started to yammer happily before she turned to look for the human witch to thank her for her part of it only to find that Yumi was nowhere in sight. "Yu-oh," she whispered and looked over at Cero, expecting some sort of growl and angry curse at Yumi. "She didn't want you to go alone in case Abala would hurt you. That's why she followed you." Kihali was trying to smooth his fictitious feathers. After all hadn't he just complimented her? It would not be good if he went and yelled at a new witch that was tired. He might end locked to a tree or drowned.

"Good, I'm glad. The forest, and the mountain, are in the hands of those who I believe will actually do some good for it." He stretched, yawning as his hands returned to his pockets. "I don't really care what she wanted or didn't want. Until she learns to control her powers, she obeys me. It's as simple as that. Now, as for you." He peered at the little thing through the corner of his eye.

"I'd prefer you listen as well Kihali. I don't think I'm too harsh or overly cruel. I do what I do because it's necessity." He let out a long sigh, rather irritated, and tired. Already his day was ruined entirely. The only highlight being that the little witch could actually do something for herself. All against his will of course. Now he had a mountain and a whole forest to look over.

The large beast that once stole and killed for the hell of it, was now a guardian of a mountain, and the protector of some witch. He'd only been back in the realm of the living for a few days and he was living a life entirely opposite of his last one. "Kihali go with Yumi, wherever she is and call me if something seems strange. She's tired now, so she'll probably be asleep, or wanting sleep. I have to fix this."

He shrugged, referring to the fact that the mountain was once known as the secret underground mountain. Yet now it could be spotted from miles away. Though he hated the idea of using as magic, it was the only way to cause the mountain to sink back into the ground. With another large sigh, he jumped forward, changing form as he landed on the base of the mountain. His tail being the thing that helped him with his magic, dug into the rocks of the mountain. He did this all the way around the mountain, stopping only once he made a full circle. Again, he began mumbling, and cursing under his breath, trudging up the side of the mountain into the only entrance there was.

Kihali looked at him as he went off to fix the mountain. He certainly had a different personality than he let most believe. With a shrug off her shoulders though she flew the way back to the clearing. No one would challenge him just yet. Not when they saw the magic he was performing as well as the craziness that he had ensued among the tree nymphs. It was Yumi that need the protection, the little creature agreed. So she flew as fast as her wings could take her to the spot that she had left that morning.

Yumi lay there, staring numbly at the bag in her arms. She didn't know why. She just felt completely drained. As she stared grass began to grow around her, feeding off the empty void that had filled the young woman. As if enclosing her with a grass blanket it formed over her in a protective way until only her head stuck out. This was how Kihali found her--unresponsive as she just stared ahead and the grass grew deeper and deeper. The nymph tried to talk to the grass to get it to go away but Yumi responded to the voice by curling up tighter in the warm earth.

"What does it matter Kihali?" she asked, "I'm tired but can't sleep. I will only get yelled at for following Cero this morning."

"He'll yell at you more if you don't quit this and start acting grown up." Kihali said as she kicked the grass protection.

As he slowly paced inside of the cave, he soon began to realize just how much of a complex maze the place was. He grumbled under his breath, cursing whoever originally created the mountain. All he needed was to get to the center of the mountain so that he could finish up the task he'd created for himself. He lurked about for what felt like a century to him, though it was only ten to twenty minutes. Finally reaching the center of the mountain, knowing it only because the room was very well lit and had an insignia, Notably from the Panther, at it's center.

Figuring the symbol was there to show who the ruler of the mountain was, he stood above it, looking up into the sunlight that was so eagerly piercing through. His tail greeted him as he curled up tightly, focusing all of his energy on the mountain itself. The ground shook as the mountain began to sink below it's surface. Creating a large hole in the Earth as it only lowered further. The time passed quickly for him, the sinking of the mountain actually going on for another 10 minutes.

Once it was finished Cero forced himself up with a sigh. His energy zapped, as he remembered why he despised the use of magic. The large 'roar' echoing throughout the corridors of the mountain were no real comfort to him either. Keeping in his basilisk form he slowly trudged through the large halls of the mountain, the roaring going on for moments longer.

With almost no energy, he was in no state to fight. He'd never admit this though, not even to himself. So instead he went on, deciding it would be best to look for the source of this noise. Feeling it would be cruel and foolish to leave it dwelling about, frightening the little tree people away.

One particular brave nymph had followed the basilisk as it did it's work and was following him again when the noise began. "that is probably someone that Abala had locked up here. She was infamous for taking allies and then locking them up when they did not serve any of her purposes any more," it said as it flew near the creatures ears. "If you leave we, my people and I, will go through and release those that have not done bad to the forest. Our cousin Kihali is saying that your witch is acting foolish and needs to--" it hesitated as if trying to confirm something, the look on his face a look of incredulous. "Needs to be broken out of a grass cocoon. A very rebellious young witch you have there. How many days old is she?"

It wasn't necessarily as cocoon-yet. Nor had she felt any reason to get out of it. It was warm, comfortable, and most of all, reminded her of a home that she should have had. Instead she was out in the wilderness with a strange man that couldn't even string together two good words together and she'd just destroyed a woman's eyes with leaves and grass. Who in their mind would be all right with that? Instead she wanted to curl tighter and tighter into herself until she disappeared and the Earth seemed intent on helping her with that.

"You all may do as you please. That noise is not some random howling by a trapped prisoner. No, it sounds like a really pissed off creature. Which undoubtedly I'll be dealing with. If you really wish to help me, then go deal with the witch." He grunted, still following the noise that echoed through the corridors. It was this particular thing that only agitated him further though. With the noise bouncing off of the walls, he could only take guesses as to the original source. This led him to plenty of dead ends and rooms he didn't know existed. Sighing, he found himself back at the start, and beginning down a new trail. On a search that could take him hours if he didn't get it together. Rolling his eyes, he slammed his tail hard against the rock walls. Almost certain that this beast was on the prowl for him as well. Restless yet tired, he laid where he was. Letting his tail pick up and drop, to make a small continuous echo through the halls.

His prediction was right as a large beast came slamming around the corner. Much lighter on it's feet than he, and agile, Cero almost didn't hear him as he rammed right into the basilisk head. Driving him back quiet a bit. He let out a loud hiss, baring his fangs as he gathered himself. Shaking off the attack, he glared up at the beast. From it's size, and the dull gray scales (matching the color of the rocks that coated the mountain). He had no doubt in his mind as to what the beast was. "She kept a pet." Seemingly a bit surprised, he took a few cautious steps back.

A cave dweller was his new enemy. Strong, large, and extremely violent. He was hesitant as to attack the large beast or not. With the damage he took to the head, his site was a bit blurry. Fading in and out as he stared the large creature down. It let out another large 'roar' before charging at Cero once more.

The nymph did abandon the basilisk but only to go and gain support. The nymph ran to Kihali's side and explained the situation. Hearing that the man that had insulted her so much was going to die by anyone's hands but hers seemed to awaken the young woman a little for the mound that had build over her started to retract. Kihali stared at the girl as she fiddled around in the bag at her side with a slow hand. When she pulled it out she was holding a bottle of water and a pair of pills. The young woman looked at them as if they were the bane of the earth but quickly popped them into her mouth and took a drink of the water.

She rose from her place and yawned loudly. Then she picked up the bag and started to trudge back towards the used to be mountain. As she walked, her back straightened and her eyes became less sleepy looking. She felt energy crackling in her from the pills that she had taken. As they melted into her body systems she started to jog. They would only last an hour or so before she would crash again. When she got to the clearing that had at one time been the site for the large mountain she was surprised to find a simple entrance into the ground.

Yumi's eyes closed as she swayed a little. She shifted her bag and pulled out the water and a bag of the same pills. Before Kihali or the other nymphs that had joined her during her run could stop her she took two mores and drank them down. Her eyes watered a little but then she was running into the cave entrance, rushing through the maze to find The stupid basilisk. The nymph that had been with Cero guided her through the halls that would lead her to where he had left Cero lying in wait for the creature that roared.

Peering around a corner to assess the situaton, Yumi fidgeted as the new pills compounded with the old ones.

((Sorry this took so long. I was having a difficult time figuring out what to do.)

Cero hissed back at the creature as it collided with him once again. This time fighting back as the creature knocked against his head. Feeling himself be pushed back a bit, he turned his head. Using his claws against the creatures tough scales, though making no marks on the beast. Both of them used their tales. The basilisk acting a bit quicker as he swept the beast feet out from under him. He was far to stubborn to ever lose, so he'd push himself till he was dead. Never seeking to give up.

With the dweller on his side, Cero slammed his tail into his stomach. Hearing a small grunt as the beast readied to get back up. Turning quickly he tore at it's leg, sinking his teeth deep into the soft flesh of it's underbelly. Only pulling back as he felt a it's front legs grabbing at him. Missing his face only narrowly, it's claws scratching into Cero's eye. Letting out a hiss, he stumbled back. Changing form, the blood running down his face, he began to rub his eye frantically.

The dweller scurried to it's feet, growling at Cero once more, slowly limping towards him. It left bloody foot prints where it walked, a small puddle of blood remaining where he'd originally been bit. "That's enough. I own this mountain now. I'll guard it, and if you so wish to get in my way I will kill you."

The beast snorted at him, stepping past the man to return to where ever he once was. It was obvious the two would never reach an end if they continued to fight. Neither willing to give up, though it was obvious Cero had little energy to fight the beast. Instead the dweller left him be, seeing it unfit to challenge this man if he couldn't truly fight against him.

"Yumi," Cero called out, covering his eye as he walked down the corridor. Following along the walls as he wasn't sure what was what at the moment.

Yumi stayed out of the way of the creature that had bested Cero before rushing to his side. "Cero, I'm sorry, I should have been here to back you up," she said, her hand reaching out to touch his shoulder. "Come on, let's get out of here before that thing comes back. And when we get into the light, I'll take a look at your eye all right?"

She nervously looked over her shoulder towards the way that the creature had gone. Would it come back and attack them again if they stayed there? Would it be angry that they hadn't run out of the underground mountain? Would it want revenge for them killing the Abala lady? A sick twist took hold of her and she closed her eyes as she forced herself to forget the horror of seeing that woman being swallowed up by the ground.

"Do you need any help to walk?"

"It's a cave dweller, and he's fine now. This mountain is mine, he understands it. Just doesn't like the fact that Abala is gone, and he has to listen to me now." He forced himself up straight, being stubborn as always as he began through the halls. "I'm fine though. I need to talk to the little ones though. I have something else I want done to the mountain, and it'd be easier for them than me." He walked slowly, eventually letting his hand drop. Feeling no need to cover it any longer, as it would continue to bleed no matter what. As he was also rather tired of the blood running down his arm.

Instead he let the blood run down his cheek, dripping from his chin as he walked on. With no sight out of one eye, and the other one giving him nothing but blurry objects and pathways, he came to a stop. "Yumi," he called out, resting against against a wall.

Yumi had stayed by his side, worrying over the blood that was running down his face. "You can talk to them later. Kihali, go get the other nymphs to protect the entrance please. He needs to rest," she said, taking charge of the situation as she reached down and ripped the bottom of her best shirt off and wadded it up, reaching up to press it against the wound. "Sit Cero. Sit right where you are. I'm going to take care of this right now, and not a second later you big dummy." Anyone could see that it would be worse if she didn't do something.

Cero pushed away from her a few times before finally caving in and falling to the floor. "Who are you calling a big dummy. At least I had the energy to fight two people and move a mountain. Someone else I knew just went and bruted as if the world had come crashing down." He mocked her now, even when his energy was almost entirely zapped, and the blood was running down his face. For a few moments longer he tried to push her away, wiping the blood from his face. Though in reality he'd only smeared it across his nose. "I'll be fine in a few minutes Yumi, just relax." He'd finally stopped fighting her now, just sitting there limp keeping both his eyes closed. It was no use peering out at Yumi, as she just seemed to double up, then triple, then back to one. Only making him dizzy though he wasn't even moving.

After a moment he let out a sigh, "Are you alright though?"

"Shut it before I bite your oversized nose off," she snapped, trying very hard to keep the pills she had taken earlier affect her control on her emotions which was already wobbly. After the first few times of him fighting her she simply sat on his lap, facing him. She didn't find this as awkward as she probably should have since she was so focused on mopping the blood up with one piece of her shirt which she had ripped off and the other that had been pressed against the wound. Growling, she took out a water bottle and an old shirt and sighed. "Hold still you giant idiotic lizard. You jerk or another and I go sailing and you'll wish you had had kids before you met me."

Quickly, without any warning except that she squirted a little bit of water over the wound and started to clean again, trying to get a clear view of it. "And keep your eyes close whatever you do."

"Hmm, feisty," he grinned a bit, resting his head against the wall. For the most part he was still after this. Feeling rather tired after taking two blows to the head, and sinking the mountain. "Hurry up, I need to move." He grunted softly, knowing it wouldn't be smart of him to fall asleep after his little fight with the cave dweller. Instead he tried to keep himself awake with whatever thoughts rushed through his mind. Not that there were too many at that time. Mostly focusing on how he was going to keep up with taking care of a mountain and the girl that was no forcing him to keep still and unnecessarily clean his eye. Or at least he believed it was unnecessary.

Cero let out another sigh, feeling the water mix with his blood. "Can you hurry it up. I'd like to get all this stuff over with and then train you a bit more before the night is up."

"Oh, no. I've had enough of witches and spells for right now. You are going to shut it, lizard man if I have to gag and tie you up myself. You and I are in no position to be working any more today," she said as she cleaned the blood away and got a good look at the wound. Without a warning this time she pulled out her sewing kit and threaded a needle. "Keep those eyes shut if you know what's good for you." She started to sterilize the needle, knowing that he'd probably just throw her off if he saw what she was doing. "And if you need to move, move your feet but not the rest of your body. you have a pretty decent wound on your head and you'll need to rest after I'm done, got it?" She noticed that as she worked on cleaning the needle and the thread her hands were trembling from excess energy. She sat everything down and shook her hands to get rid of the energy before settling back down onto his lap and mopping away what blood had surfaced since she'd started to work on the needle.

"I could care less what you've had enough of. You're one of those tiresome witches, and you're going to learn." He was growing a little restless of her constant nagging. "You sound like my last girlfriend. I killed her by the way." He hissed at her. Hearing her shuffle about he chose to try and get up, still feeling her weight on him. "You're done Yumi, I'm tired of sitting around." His tail appearing behind him, he got the girl off his lap dusting himself off. Now that there was less blood he chose to open up his eye, looking down on her. "I have things to handle." Without a second to hear her whine, he continued walking down the halls. Still watching the stones in the wall double up and move around. Growling at himself out of irritation, he changed form. His forked tongue helping with his senses so he could easily navigate the halls without his sight.