Awakening Anew

Yumi couldn't help but stare at him. What kind of man ran towards trouble? What kind of man would take a young woman and demand that she give up her way of life because it wasn't how he saw the world despite her having lived that way since she was ten? A strong man ,her mind told her. A man that doesn't like to follow the rules other place before him.

She closed her eyes and pulled her hand from his. She opened her mouth to reply to his 'we are not running any longer speech' when a fairy of sorts zoomed up in front of her face. She squeaked, still only barely used to the craziness in which she had entered the day before. Unthinking, she took a step back towards Cero, reaching back and grabbing his shirt for She actually ended up pressing her back up against the man as the branch was not as wide as she first thought when her instincts told her to back away from the little creature. Her cheeks turned a light pink, though she didn't step away form him as she held onto his shirt to keep from falling off the branch.

"Why are you in my tree?" the little creature asked, its head cocking to the side. "I don't remember giving you permission to be in my tree."

Yumi gaped at it and then looked at Cero and then back at the creature. Should she say that they hadn't meant to do it? But it was Cero that had first gotten into the tree. Unsure of how to continue this, she looked at the ground quietly.

Cero held back his laughter at the young witches reaction, a big smile spread across his face. "Morning little one." He smiled softly, his tail holding Yumi close to him as he felt her cling to his back. He had no interest in having to dive down after her if she made a slight misstep and went tumbling through the branches. Wrapping his tail slight around Yumi's waist Cero returned his attention to the little thing before them.

"Granting permission to be in a tree? That's a new one I've never heard. The forest is suppose to be open to all creatures, as well as the tree's. Restricting one tree from the world seems rather cruel to me. Especially one that catches the rays of the sun so perfectly." With a shrug, he crossed his arms. Keeping the calm in his eyes as he followed the movement of the little things wings.

"One needs to restrict access now that Abala rules that mountain. She'll come down and eat the leaves or destroy the trees if there are creatures climbing all over it. Why should I trust you to be in here when you very well might be one of the evil Abala's minions?" the creature asked, folding its own arms much as Cero did over it's small male chest. "I do not know you, nor do any of my brethren around here know you."

"Wait, please, we are not meaning to intrude. We just wanted to see the sky this morning while we waited for our friend Kihali to awaken from her own sleep. We did not know sir," Yumi said clutching Cero's shirt even tighter despite his tail moving around her.

"Kihali? That is one of our kind's names. Do you mean to tell me that you are a friend of one of us?" As if on cue, the young flying creature flapped tiredly up to hover before Cero's face as she wiped sleep from her eyes. She fluttered over and nestled against Cero's skin on his neck.

"Cero, why are you in a tree? You are not a tree folk like me. I can see Missy Yumi up here but not you. It seems odd," the little creature said with her tiny voice as she closed her eyes and snuggled against the skin beneath her.

He peered over his shoulder at Yumi, smiling softly at her. Taking interest in how freaked out she seemed to be, over such a small creature at that. Powerful or not, there wasn't much the little ones could do outside of the forest. Shrugging once more he listened to Yumi speak, a rarity on his part. Of course he didn't get a chance to speak before little Kihali had made her way up to him as well. A rather irritated look graced him as the small thing made herself comfortable, which he assumed would become a regular thing eventually. As of now though, it still made him a bit uncomfortable at times. Though with how small she was, he'd quickly forget she was there.

"I'm pretty much a large lethal lizard Tiny. I need to soak up the sun every so often if I don't want to die. And why the hell is it odd that I'd be up here anyway?" He snorted out the last part, somewhat irritated at the statement. He wasn't that indifferent to the world. "Come on you two. Obviously this Abala person is messing up the forest. Too many rules. Don't do rules."

His tail remained tight around Yumi's waste, placing his hand over Kihali's small legs as he leapt down from the tree branch. Losing the little one, who still seemed half asleep, seemed to be a reckless idea while there was another of her sort around. Not that he had any real intention of hurting the small thing. He never minded the tree folk. As he landed, bringing Yumi down gently behind him, he released the girl. "I'll take care of this damn Abala now."

Yumi squeaked as she found herself pulled after a falling Cero. The sense of falling hit her so hard that she curled around his tail, her eyes closing as her hands grabbed the tail. She blushed as she was placed down and Cero said something about going after Abala. She stared at him and blinked a little bit. "Wait, Cero, shouldn't we, um, find out what's going on ? I mean there are so many things that could be going on. I don't know, um, you were all for staying away until you knew everything about this Abala person," she said as she stared at him with wide eyes.

Kihali opened her small eyes and stared as they flew but she wasn't flying her mind said. And then she heard the big woman Yumi speaking about Abala and going to see her. This woke the little creature up. "What? Abala? Where? We must hide. She is not nice," the little said.

"I was all for you staying away Yumi. I told you, you wouldn't be going there without me. And you're still not. Actually, you're not going at all." He paused, patting Kihali on the head lightly with his finger. "Relax Tiny. She's not here, but she's already pissing me off. So stay with Yumi and teach her how to work with the tree's and show her a bit of magic if you will." He picked the little one up off his shoulder, holding her out before him. "I'm not afraid of some big ass mountain dweller. So I'm going to get rid of Abala. You two will be fine without me for now I hope."

He chuckled, his tail vanishing behind him before he turned to Yumi. "Take her," he said, setting Kihali down on Yumi's head and turning to head off once more.

Kihali was staring after him with eyes that were as big as coins compared to the rest of her body. "That is one strange Shifty-shift." she said softly before looking at Yumi. "you aren't going to just let him walk off into Abala's territory without any backup are you?" she asked.

Yumi looked puzzled. Every time that she looked at the man he was different--jerk, asshole, protector, jerk again, unhappy beast, amazingly talented man. And here he was about to protect an entire forest by himself from some lady that was being evil without a single reward but he couldn't say one nice thing about Yumi? She was perplexed by him as she watched him go. She could stay--work with the trees with Kihali and wait his return. It would probably be better for all if she did.

She looked at the ground at her feet, reaching up just in time to catch the young flying creature in the palm of her hand. "Stay with the tree's Kihali, I can't just let him leave like that," she said and then watched at the fairy-creature rose into the air before taking off her shoes. Cero would just yell at her to return if he knew she was following. So instead of running recklessly after him she slipped behind him as quietly as she knew how. Unknown to her she was using her magic to protect her from sight and sense. She slipped in and out of the foliage as she followed the man she was supposed to have let alone. She had a bad feeling about this Abala person.

Once he'd gotten himself far enough away he shifted forms, only in hopes of picking up the pace. He was a rather impatient being when you got down too it, and it often showed as he rushed through everything. Now he was running through the tree's, returning to the mountain in only a few short moments. Releasing a heavy sigh, he padded his way toward the mountain. Taking a quick circle around the whole thing before noticing an opening on the far left, a little ways up the mountain.

"Damn Abala, conceited as fuck, mountain dwelling, obviously compensating for something, dumb..." he continued on with his rant of insults under his breath. Rather frustrated that he was doing so much, so early in the day.

Yumi lost track of him somewhere after he shifted. But, she knew where the entrance that she had found the evening before was. She went directly there and hid between some trees to wait for her 'Familiar' to show--which he did quickly enough. She was about to step out and join him to hear what he was saying but a being showed up in the entrance to the cave stretching as if they had just awoken from a long sleep.

It was a woman of a medium build with a flat stomach--which one could see for she wore a bra-like shirt and low rising jeans of a sort--with decent curves. She yawned and revealed a pair of sharpened fangs. A black tail lashed lethally behind her as she stretched a little more and started down the side of her mountain before stopping and her eyes scanned the forest. "Who is there?" she called.

Cero grunted, shifting back to his human form, tail still swaying about behind him. It was the one feature he kept as an almost permanent feature. Always feeling somewhat off balance without his large tail toying about behind him. He watched the women with boredom gleaming in his eyes, as uninterested in her as he was in all other things. "Aye you," he shouted up at her, arms crossed as he watched her make her way down the mountain.

"What the hell are you? A cat?!" He almost shouted, amazed that those who were chosen to guard the mountain always seemed to be a feline of some sort. Rolling his eye's he took a few steps forward. "Who's there? Well isn't that intimidating. Now who the hell are you?"

The woman's eyes locked on the basilisk creature , her tail freezing in mid-swipe. "I'm a panther, not that it is any of your business. I am Abala, protector of this mountain and the surrounding lands. I should be asking you the same question," she said, moving slowly towards him. It was more of a slink as if she were oozing down the mountain. She watched him carefully, ready to defend herself should the need arise. She was never welcoming to strangers, especially strangers that had magic on their side. Her eyes left the man and scanned the trees, picking out different tree folk that had come to see the show of Abala getting challenged. And then her golden eyes landed on the witch that was trying to hide her presence just on the edge of the forest. What a pathetic attempt to hide help. She wouldn't point it out for she could take care of a measly witch should the idiot attack with both of them.

"Figures. You're ugly enough to be one." He snorted the last bit out under his breath, rolling his eyes once more. It was no shock, the way this forest worked. Guardians and such placed all about. "Where did you get the idea of you protecting the 'surrounding lands'? The surrounding lands are all tree's and pure forest. Which belongs to the little tree nymphs that can actually control and tame the forest. You're only used for this mountain, which is suppose to be sacred on to magic users. That being the reason it was underground and guarded by someone who could actually handle such a task."

He ignored the gathering of small creatures in the tree's, uninterested in the thoughts of the smaller beings. "I'm hear because I want you gone. So go," he grunted out. His tail laying beside him calmly. For once not jumping and toying about as he stood. The sunlight was shining down brightly where they stood, catching his eyes and giving them a bright gleam.

Yumi blinked and stared out at the battle field as a few tree nymphs landed on her shoulders and head. "If your friend is not careful, Abala will have the earth swallow his feet and then tear him to shreds," one said that was nearest her ear. Yumi turned her head to look at her and then looked back out upon the scene.

"You want? And who are you to tell me what to do, you nasty creature? I came here after the last guardian died. I took over the mountain and made it far better than he ever did," the woman said, rolling her shoulders to get ready for any sort of attack. Her eyes were flickering through around her to the barren rocky land that was beneath her feet and the forests that were so close. If she was not careful and stay on the earth the Trees may attack her. During her time here she hadn't played nice. The trees had tried to engulf her mountain. She would not let that happen. Her mountain was sacred and would always be sacred. Her nails grew, her body shifted until it dropped to all four and she stood there glaring at the creature with panther eyes. "You should not have come so early today. I have yet to eat and I am hungry." the woman said and started to go towards her left, watching him as with each step she created a small puff of dust that grew and billowed around her, filling the air until it was hard to see a foot before ones-self.

"Far better? You've messed with the home of one of my little friends. I don't take so well with people who upset the balance of things." Yawning, he reached up above his head to stretch. Paying little to no attention to the girl as she shift into the large black cat she was. Felines were an enemy of his, not for any real reason. Just because he didn't like the high praise they always seemed to get just from the supposed grace they carried. Because of that he prided himself on the way he moved and the way he carried himself. Once again he yawned, this time covering his mouth as the dust cloud grew, surrounding the due. He was bored, and uninterested in her petty tricks.

Feeling it would be a waist of energy to fully transform himself, he chose a simple in between. Bright glowing eyes, a forked tongue and the large claws and jagged teeth necessary for turning the cat into his next meal. He remained where he was though, arms crossed, eyes closed. "Now who makes it to where even they can't see there own surroundings any longer. Tell me what sense does that make? It defeats the purpose of me trying to attack you first." His tone was a bit sarcastic. Probably a bit more overconfident than usual.

The dust swirled and rose. It wasn't meant to block the views of her opponent. Oh no. It would do another thing completely. She slinked along the ground, following the taste of freshly watered leaves and then a stronger scent--human flesh. She was on the grass and behind Yumi just as the dust finished settling. She waited until the community of tree nymphs were confused and started to fly around again before she lunged and dragged the human girl off of the grassy tree roots a few feet away from where Cero stood, her jaws tightening around the back of Yumi's neck. Abala slowly shifted back, her grip being replaced by clawed fingers that dragged Yumi to a standing position.

"Really? You thought a witch could help you? I'm much smarter than that," the cat creature snarled. "Leave and I'll give the girl back to you. Stick around and she wont' ever walk again. And who knows. I may just eat her."

His tongue flicked about, keeping an eye on the cats movements as she slinked about. Though by the time he'd gotten a real clue as to what the dreaded cat was up to, she'd gotten the girl already. Undoubtedly he was rather pissed off hearing of the witch. Even more so knowing the cat girl had gotten her filthy paws on her. "I find that hard to believe," he snorted out under his breath. His tail and claws vanishing as he put his hands into the air.

"Yumi, you really should learn to listen," he said with a sigh, turning to the two girls. The same look of boredom forever trapped in his eyes. "So you. The pathetic replica of a Earth bound creature. A panther. What gift do you have besides some supposed look of grace." He kept his hands in the air, then began walking toward the due. "The black fur and long claws. You're nothing but a large pussy cat. With no gift, no real power." His eyes met hers, a simple grin playing across his lips.

Yumi was not helpless however the two creatures thought she was. She locked eyes with Cero for only a moment when he said that she should learn to listen. Well, that wasn't who she was. Yumi grinned and relaxed int he cats grasp, letting herself just hang there limply like she was frightened out of her senses. Normally she would kick, scream, or claw her way out of the grasp. But that was if the person holding her was human and would respond to that kind of stimuli. For all she knew the woman would crack her neck the second the girl started to fight. Trying to stay calm, she focused on the girl behind her. It would definitely be interesting if she got this on the first turn.

"Why would I tell you my secrets lizard man when I know none of yours?" Abala drawled, her eyes never leaving the man nearing them. "You can't be much if you are tethered to a girl like this. What? Exchange your immortality for familiar land? Only a weak person of an element would lower themselves to be the tutor of these filthy human wizards and witches. All they do is ruin the elements they touch. They destroy what they want and create what they want. Why shouldn't we fight back? i claimed this mountain in the name of Earth--not human witches! They don't deserve the elements like we do. We were born and raised to appreciate them."

Yumi let out a gasp as she broke her concentration. That didn't work. She had been trying to ask the earth below her to open up and swallow the creature holding her. Obvious it was too big of a question for her to try. Nibbling her lip she tried again, this time on something a lot smaller. She didn't even know if she was doing this right--concentrate, visualize. She let out another exhale and looked at Cero. Stay behind and learn how to handle trees while I go take care of this person i know nothing of. She could hear his voice perfectly when she looked at him. Worthless human. You won't ever gain a kind word from him and you know it. So why do you try? Suddenly a need to get his approval; to get sme form of recognition after a life of not getting any because she couldn't afford it took over her control.

You can't let your emotions go crazy or you might hurt someone.

Her eyes flashed open and the pebbles around her started to shudder as she fed that emotional need into them. They were no bigger than peas, but they were moving! She focused harder, her eyes squeezing shut as one after another started to pelt her and Abala who didn't seem at all interested in the rocks hitting her.

Cero chuckled. "Secrets. I have no secrets. Minus the little so called witch you're calling pathetic." The lock of her gaze was all he needed. As he avoided the witches eyes and focused himself on Abala. Originally he'd had the whole thing planned out. Knowing that simply 'glaring' at the girl that was foolish enough to stare into his eyes would have ended this whole thing. Stunning her where she stand and making her the easiest target on two legs. But instead he noticed the small effort Yumi was putting in and got a new idea.

His hands dropped to his sides, slipping into his pockets as he kept the calm collected. Beaming with confidence he chuckled. Shooting a 'glare' at the cat that held so tightly to his new partner. A permanent one at that. It was inevitable, though it isn't something easily seen. The cat was stunned, and since he had no intention of moving his eyes from her's she'd stay said way until he saw fit to release her.

"Come on now Yumi. This is the perfect first lesson for you. You talk big and bad. Some nonsense about how you can control your emotions and handle yourself just fine. So show me. I'm rather uninterested in spending the rest of my life with a weak witch that I have to save every time she decides she doesn't want to listen." Now he'd decided to taunt the witch, though kept his gaze on the black cat that still had her claws digging into the young witches neck. "Start with something simple. The tree's belong to the little ones all around us. But the leaves in the tree's are free game. Grass, dirt, even bark. Rocks may be to heavy, but I see you can move the pebbles. A great start." He let out a small sigh, thinking to himself of something that could really help the girl out of the women's grip.

"Grass blades are called such for a reason. They're sharp if used properly." He instructed the girl, still staring Abala down.

Yumi had been ignoring him for the most part. For all she knew he was calling her every disgusting word in the book. 'A great start'. She blinked and looked at him as he stared into the eyes of cat woman behind him. She let the pebbles fall to the ground and hung limply here in the grasp that held her. He may not think it but simply getting the pebbles to fly had taken a lot of energy and focus for the girl. However she was determined to show him that she wasn't a lost cause. She would get her way out of here. She had to.

She settled into the grasp, relaxing all her muscles despite the claws insistence to break her skin. She couldn't do anything to Abala's eyes--Cero was holding gaze. Or could she? Loose leaves and blades of grass trembled and then rose up into the air. She could feel sweat start to break out on her skin as they trembled int he air. Just as her hold on them faltered she sent them flying at the woman's face. They flew straight into the woman's eyes, cramming in as they destroyed her eyes. The connection between Abala and Cero was cut and the cat woman released the girl to claw at her eyes, trying to save them.

Yumi slumped to the ground, exhausted from the amount of magic she had had to use to gather enough grass and leaves to shove into the woman's eye sockets. She landed hard on her hands and knees before she pushed herself into a stumbling run that only got her the feet to Cero's side before she landed on her stomach again with a groan. She was safe right? She had made it to Cero's side and she would be safe.

He watched the girl for a few moments longer, grinning as he noticed her taking his advice. As soon as she dropped from Abala's grip Cero was by her side. Catching her before she hit the ground. "So you're not entirely helpless. Good." He held the girl in his arms. Watching Abala for a moment, he took a few steps back. "Now be a good girl and listen." He set her down by the roots of a tree, looking up at the little ones who were still so eagerly watching the on goings. For a moment his tail returned behind him. Sliding across the ground in front of the girl. As he turned the roots of the tree seemed to come up from the ground where his tail had made a mark. Linking together to shield Yumi if Abala had gotten another idea to try and attack the girl.

As he walked toward the panther he began to shift forms. Hissing as his claws dug into the dirt, his forked tongue flicking out as he watched the cat in a panic. Once he was only a few feet back he pounced at the women, digging his front claws into her shoulder. Each set of legs ripping into the women's flesh, all down her torso. His hind legs pinning her legs down.