Status
Not open for further replies.
I change my avatars so often that it's ridiculous, and they usually reflect my interests. And I have a ton of different interests. In most cases it's whatever interest I'm most into at the time, but sometimes I just choose it because I like it a lot. So I may not be entirely into something at the time, but the picture's cool so I'll go with it, and if I find something that's even better... imaginary points for me.

I change my avatars all the time because there's so many pretty pictures out there that who wants to stick to one boring avatar?

I change my avatars semi-frequently, usually after I find another one that I like. I usually choose musicians for my avatars (Right now it's a picture of Kid Cudi).

Hmm it depends. An avatar might last from a day to as long as a few months for me, but yes I like to change it up. I usually stick to a theme with my avi and sig, but if I find something I like better than my last one then I'll use it. Really, I just don't feel like sticking to one avatar, but that might change. (Maybe if I find one I like enough and people identify me with on this site, to avoid confusion)

I tend to change my avatar every 5 hours or so, the only reason I stick to one is because I am lazy at that moment.

Changed avatar a few times. This is the third one which I'll probably keep because it's one of the best drawings I've done. :D
Though I wouldn't mind going back to the tentacle banana, but it seems it's no longer available on the Iwaku default avatars anymore. That and I felt weird being the only person for awhile who had their face starting intently through an avatar box at others as they browsed the various threads.

My Avi is always konata; I change it usually to suit my mood of late, but sometimes just cause I'm bored with the current one.

I try to keep it in season, too. No snowy backdrops or winter scarves in June!

It depends really, but it's always a character I have created. Currently I just changed it to Lucious Valesmort a.k.a. "The King".

I change my avatar quite often. I always change it to something I'm currently interested in. For instance: I'm obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera right now.

I have a penchant for creepy/pretty and like to make myself sets when I find images I like that fit the criteria. Then I tend to cycle through them on occasion but I do stick with the creepy/pretty theme. (or so I hope!)

Avatars to me are like the signatures. I don't keep them because they're witty or they're catchy. I keep them like someone has a clothing style. It all has to fit.

This is an exception because it normally takes me a week or two to decide what I want in a new profile.

On websites where I interact in some way with the community, I almost never change my avatar. Typically, it'll be this particular avatar, too.

I only change it for temporary things, usually as a joke. Throughout my roleplaying career, I've used three avatars other than this one.
  1. A rat dressed a typical worker. This was sort of a community bonding week, where everyone used different animal-worker themed paintings from the same avatars as their set. To compliment this, I switched my at-the-time LotR gif standard to mouse and rat gifs.
  2. A picture of Sherlock Holmes. This was to essentially make my set—signature and avatar—identical to a member named Sherlock Holmes for a day. I imitated her trademark behaviours, and actually managed to trick a lot of people into thinking I was her.
  3. An artwork gif I made to go with a signature I had drawn. This was during a turmoil event, where a ton of newcomers were filtering in and oldcomers trying to find their way back, so it felt like a nice time to try something else out for a while.

Reactions: ElBell
I generally pick avatars on the basis of a sort of long-standing theme of what I feel like using to represent myself online at the time, which I've only changed a few times over the course of my internet usage. When I was pretty young I would either not use an avatar at all or just use a plain image of a single color because lazy. Then I started using things on a general fantasy theme, everything from knights to wizards to chimaera and so on. After that I started using just images of knights and paladins, always guy in cool armor. More recently, starting about 4 years ago, I decided to change it up and go for TV and movie villains because I got tired of the armor-clad dudes. I've used The Master from Doctor Who (the one from the Tennant seasons), The Governor from The Walking Dead, Moriarty from Sherlock, and Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York. Then I decided to use Petyr Baelish (AKA Littlefinger) from Game of Thrones and it just stuck. I've been using this avatar for the past 2 years.

Oh, yeah, the time thing. I usually switch between things for a couple months until I find something I love. Used to be that meant I'd keep it for like 6 months instead of 2, but due to a mixture of laziness and loving how fitting that smirk is to accompany a lot of my posts, I've held on to Littlefinger for a lot longer than that. At this point I might just end up being one of those people who use the same avatar forever, because it just works. :P

At this point I might just end up being one of those people who use the same avatar forever
It'd be weird seeing your posts without that Petyr Baelish smirk accompanied by 'em.

Reactions: Hana and ElBell
I tend to like to use the same avatar for a long time because it kind of becomes a part of my identity. People see the Catguard and they're like "oh! It's Dervish!", but after like 2.5 years, I felt like a change so I just kind of pick things that stick out and I find amusing. In this case, Plague Knight is a fantastic character design that I'm very drawn to, and most people who know me know how I love me some plague doctor motifs.

Basically, if I'm drawn to it, I'll make it my own and ride that pony into the sunset for a good long while.

I have to agree with Expollo.

And I've seen Jorick's avatar back when it was a Wizard even.
It's just that he's spend so long as Petyr since then that it's almost impossible to not connect him to it anymore.
Hell, when I finally got into watching Game of Throne's I kept think of Petyr as Jorick because the connection got so ingrained in my head! :P

I have actually used this picture for a while now. I think I'll be coming close to about 4 or 5 years on it pretty soon.

To be totally honest with all of you, the only reason I decided to use this picture was because I saw it on Tumblr and thought it looked pretty cool (so it kind of confuses me when I hear someone say this has some meaning/message to it, and if you could explain to me what meaning is that would be great).

I have changed it once, but that was just putting in the greenish tint, and my name.

This avatar is just something that so many people have come to know me by, whether it be on here, Roleplayerguild, my NSFW Tumblr, or a few other game/social media sites, that I don't think I'll ever change it.

Reactions: Hana
I think I've had a Johnny Cash avatar since I joined a few months back.

I've always liked all the folk tales surrounding the country legend, and what he represents.

I mostly stay with the same avatar for a long time purely due to laziness. The only time I think of changing it is when someone else has my avatar. However, now that I use my own personal avatars I don't have to worry about that. :)

I am a weirdo who gets attached to avatars and never wants to change them, but this also comes with me picking an avatar that I like having represent me :D So fellow members, what drives you to pick a specific image as your avatar on websites? And are you one to change avatars like clothes, or do you and your image companion get too attached to go separate ways?
Easy! I love the movie, and I'm told I kinda look like her.

I went through a phase in school where I wore a leather jacket like the one in the pic, and bought these NASA patches to sew on it!

<-------------Super nerd.

Actually, I think I still have that jacket somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.