NIA
@Red Thunder

Nia jumped a little as Tark did, eyes widening at the man's sudden exclamation. He hadn't seemed so lost in thought, but then, she was pretty good at masking her own emotions, so she could hardly fault him. Grasping her reins a little tighter, giving herself an anchor to hold to, she nodded firmly.

And proceeded to say absolutely nothing for a solid minute, as the words she had been building the courage to say faltered and fell out of her brain entirely. Swearing under her breath, she released one hand to brush back her hair, before shaking off the sudden, uncharacteristic bout of nerves.

"Look... you and I may not agree on ideals, outrightly. I'm not gonna apologize for how that interrogation went with the fire archer, and I don't expect you to apologize for your reaction to all that. War is messy, way I see it, and it makes good people do bad things, and right and wrong get a little fuzzy around the edges. But I can't deny you got a sort of calm about you that uh... I ain't never real good at gettin' ahold of. And the thing is, with... with fire bending, you uh... kinda gotta have some kinda control, you know? Well, you don't... but I figure you could probably wager a guess, right?"

A sigh escaped and she paused in rambling a moment, to gather herself, "Point is... I'm trying to learn, and I was hoping maybe you... you could give me a few pointers? I don't expect you to teach me outright or anything, but... well, I don't wanna hurt anyone or see anyone die, cause I couldn't do what I had to, to prevent it. So... what do you say?"

AI [MILOU]
@Mobley Eats

Laughing softly, the girl shook her head as Kazu's response. He reminded her a little of Uncle Tac's son, Corsin. He'd fallen in the canal as a child, and while they managed to revive him, he never came out quite the same. But he was sweet and kind, and had a knack for seeing the world the way most people didn't. In truth, Ai was certain that he was better for it, even if people didn't treat him very nicely. Ai found she liked Corsin a great deal more than she liked most people, and she liked relatively everyone pretty well...

"Milou." She gently encouraged, spelling it out with ginger reassurance, before she went on with a smile, "Very much like... Me Look, except without the K on the end. It was my mother's name" It was a simple enough pseudonym to remember, given it's significant importance to her, and while she detested lying as a whole, using her mother's proper name felt fitting. That, and it seemed a wiser course of action not to outright reveal who, or rather, what she was... Not when there was still so much good she could do.

As Kazu continued, her expression shifted, softened, as her eyes turned forward. For a moment, she was quiet, and her fingers gently glanced along the neck of the ostrich-horse. As she spoke, there was a light quiver in her voice, "...I am missing my father. He died, just a little while ago. Before... before I was recruited."

Jun Li
Interactions:
Wei @Mobley Eats

Jun tilted her head, brow still raised in intrigue as she watched the bewilderment slide over Wei's face. She'd clearly been anticipating a fight, then. Were Jun any younger, or any less elated with the fact she was a step closer to achieving what she'd set out to do, she may very well have given Wei her fight too.

It seemed she'd been caught on an amiable day, though. She narrowed her eyes just a sliver at Wei's response. It was always strange, meeting people that reminded her of herself.

"No, you didn't ask, but I did decide to give it to you anyway. Seeing as how we're eventually going to end up fighting back Fire Nation troops together, I thought it might be handy to have. It's why I'm now asking for yours," she answered evenly, never actually so much as uttering the words 'what's your name?' More than one person could play that sort of game.

Partially grateful the worst handshake of all the Hundred Year War hadn't been accepted, she simply pulled her hand back to curl around the reins.

"Oh I was," she began again, something sly in her eyes as the corner of her mouth lifted, "right up until you decided your ostrich did better riding the side of mine."

Masao Nishimura
Interactions:
General Fong Xu @Mobley Eats

Masao followed the General's lead, steering his ostrich horse off to the side to trot alongside the older man. Were his hands not firmly attached to the reins, even when his ride seemed more than capable of figuring out the route was straight ahead, he looked as if he would have been wringing his hands. The truth is that he would have been wringing his hands, and even the reins didn't totally stop him. He'd been fidgeting for far longer than it had taken to approach Fong Xu in the first place, but it was now even more pronounced. His fingers had toyed anxiously with the strap in his hands, just as they did now.

He worked his jaw as they pulled away from the group, the general's attention now directed solely on him. He'd asked for this. No need to worry. He just….had to find the right words.

"I…" he began, faltering before clearing his throat and trying again. "I wanted to inform you of some of my history. Just in case it started to bring about problems, for you and the squadron." He glanced again at the now distanced forms of the rest of the squadron.

"You may have already guessed, but I used to serve as a Fire Nation soldier," he admitted, not quite making eye contact. It was the truth, without getting too deep into the details of the truth. Regardless, they had reason to not trust him, to be suspicious of him if they were to know. Maybe keeping it from them wouldn't help either, but he'd rather it not be part of his introduction, at least.

"I, uh, I know I'm probably not the only one among your ranks with a story like that, but… I'd rather they didn't know that just yet. Eventually, they will, I just… I just want to put it off for the moment. I have fought against the Rebel Armada before, on the other side, and that alone… Well, trusting your squadron and working as a unit is difficult when you have every reason to not trust some of your members."

His eyes had rarely met Fong Xu's, for fear the general would see exactly the kind of shame and regret lurked behind them. He'd continued fiddling with the reins in his hands, before eventually, finally, he looked up towards him. He was tempted to say more, to explain further, but cut himself off. He could keep going if he needed to. He just… needed this much first.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Wei
Interactions
: Jun Li @WingWong

Wei honestly wished in that moment that she could rip her own ears off her head and feed them to the nearest Kimono Gator--without suffering the consequences of contracting a fatal infection or, you know, dying of blood loss. It agitated every single nanometer of her being just taking in this woman's voice. Her cockiness. Her confidence. Her relaxed nature. Literally everything about it pissed Wei off.

Shooting the woman a frigid glare from her peripherals, she growled lowly, "Wei... Now fuck off." However, her eyes widened at the snarky jab about her ostrich mishap and her nostrils flared. Then twitched in tandem with the corner of her lips. More and more until the motion was flashing a glimpse of tightly clenched teeth. Wei's grip on the reigns doubled in strength.

"How fucking observant of you," she hissed, "Perhaps my fists will do better on the side of your face too. We can always find out." However, just in that moment, the aches in her spine returned, and a pained grunt stole away any and all intimidation she hoped to display. Huffing, she merely turned away from Jun Li, narrowed eyes trained stubbornly on the endless landscape ahead. "Just stay the fuck away from me."

Kazu
Interactions: Milou @Elle Joyner

"Me. Look." Kazu nodded, more to himself than in response to Milook. Yeah, he could remember that--very easily, at that! Me and Look were two words that he actually understood and used a lot, so this would work. However, his brow pinched when Melook said not to pronounce the "k" at the end... Darnit. Just as he thought he was getting the hang of it. His entire face squished together with his squinting, pumping as much concentration into his brain as he could. "Me... Look--uh. Err. Loo? So... Me loo? Miloo! Milou, yes! Mmkay, I got it." He beamed in pride.

Good, now he knew the name of yet another friend! This was proving to be the best day so far.

"...I am missing my father. He died, just a little while ago. Before... before I was recruited."

...Oh. That didn't sound like the makings of a best day at all. Feeling a tad guilty, though Kazu had no idea why his chest was flooding with the emotion, his form slouched a bit, head lowering. A long hum of thought emitted from him as he studded the neck of his ostrich horse. "I'm sorry," he finally said, gaze lost and distant, "It's hard to miss people. It's hard to die too. Err, I guess it's hard for both of you, then?" He shrugged, fiddling with the reigns sheepishly while letting a smile creep across his face. "Things don't stay hard forever, right? I think? Um... I forget."

He really did forget.

General Fong Xu
Interactions: Masao @WingWong

The anxiety oozing from Masao was palpable, that much Fong Xu could tell. In all honesty, he expected this conversation to arise between him and the new recruit, and from this early on, at that. Thus, hearing the words escape the young man was far from surprising and yet, it never helped to soften the blow. Sympathy coursed through the general's veins like a bucket of acid, leaving scorch marks upon his nerves like a bitter reminder. Rebel Armada was a melting pot of cultures and backgrounds, of life stories and tragedies and triumph and pain that made each face among the mass unique. Valuable to the cause.

But, of course, the hatred raged on. It saddened him, but the general was not blind to the world he lived in. This was a time of war. Thus, he couldn't possibly blame Masao for feeling the way he did.

"Everyone has walked their own path, Masao," he said, tired gaze falling on the young man, refusing to deny the anxiety in his eyes. It'd be too cruel to shut him out in such a vulnerable moment. "And thus, it's in your hands how you pave the rest of your journey. Your past is yours. I have no right to tell anyone." Slowly, he took in the rest of his squadron. It was just a brief glance behind him, a swift sweeping of faces. "This squadron is fresh. We have our main objective but above all else, building trust is key. Without it, we'll accomplish nothing. So," his smile widened a tad, emphasizing the bags resting beneath his eyes, "Do what you must. Judging from what I've seen so far, you won't have much of a problem earning our trust."

Tarkik Quassa
There was no immediate answer to Nia's question, not quip, dismissal, or acceptance. Instead, Tark shrugged, uncommitted. Nia wanted control, she said. Control.

Tark snorted, not realizing he had done so. Yet it was only directed at himself. She sought him to teach her control? Had he demonstrated control during the interrogation? Had he demonstrated control when he had violently berated his Commander, and in front of ally and foe alike?

"You pick a poor and untested teacher, I'm afraid."

He gave her a weak smile, a poor attempt at amiability after their argument at the interrogation. Yet she clearly held nothing against him, finding instead it within her to not only approach him in a gesture of friendship but with a request for training.

You do not really know anything unless you can teach it to someone.

Fine. Pushing down the small panic that had taken root in his heart and his mind, Tark nodded in affirmation. It would be better, maybe, if he conceded to her request. They were to be a team, and he should absolutely honor her request to him.

"But I trust that you see in me something I fail to see within myself. Bear in mind: I am no Fire Bender, and the methods I have learned through are perhaps unorthodox." He paused to scratch his chin, considering before nodding more intently. "I think you know by now that I follow through with my commitments. If we start, are you willing to commit until I deem you finished with the training?"

@Elle Joyner

• According to Plan
Jun Li
Interaction: Wei @Mobley Eats

Jun merely smiled. Suddenly, she could see why she'd been so fun to antagonize when she was younger. The expressions alone were fascinating to watch. Of course, it would be cruel to keep tormenting the girl, even if she'd hardly been the one to start this particular interaction. The girl- Wei, as she'd so helpfully supplied her name- clearly had something on her mind. Or, at the very least, would rather be left alone. Jun wasn't one to deny someone alone time if she could help it; she only hoped the favor would be returned by the members of her new squadron.

"Oh, I'd like to think I am, but not for noticing that. Hard to miss an ostrich horse being rammed into you," she commented before tilting her head. An eyebrow raised. "I seriously doubt that. Both that they'd look better there, and that we can always find out." She might've said something else, might've been a little more cutting, if she hadn't noticed the slight shift in expression and the pained grunt. Fair enough.

She raised a hand in surrender, not quite trusting herself to let go completely. "I'll try," she said simply, before another sly smile played on her face. "We'll see if you can keep your ostrich horse away from mine first, though." Thus, with a wicked smirk, she swiftly steered away to put the distance between her and Wei that the other woman clearly desired, and trotted alongside a few of the other squadron members.

Masao Nishimura
Interaction: General Fong Xu @Mobley Eats

Masao had listened closely with wide eyes, and the more Fong Xu talked, the more relief trickled in. He wasn't kicked out. He wasn't going to be forced to tell who he was and where he came from. Or forced to tell what he'd done. He was given permission to do what he wished, as far as keeping his history secret.

"I…. Thank you, sir. I appreciate it," he said eventually, managing to get the words out and into something intelligible. He returned the warm smile, though a bit more tentatively at first.

He worked his jaw again as he considered adding something. "Thank you, for understanding," he ended up repeating. "If…If you need me in your service as a firebender, I will gladly be that. But… in the meantime, I think I'm going to try to make use of some of my other abilities. If that's alright."

• Love
NIA
@Red Thunder

With a small chuckle, Nia nodded, "I'm already gonna be working with Ging. He's a fire bender, like me, so he knows first hand how the mechanics work and all. But I'll take all the help I can get." It was the first time in her life, really, she could think of a reason to work hard at something. These were people worth protecting... people worth fighting for, and she was gonna do everything she could to improve.

"But anyway... Yes." Giving another bob of her head, she looked forward again, eyes on the horizon they were traveling towards, "I'm committed. I might not be great at it, and I'm honestly not even sure it's something I can get better with, but I wanna try. I have to try. So... thank you. This means a lot to me. Really. Thanks."

AI [MILOU]
@Mobley Eats

Milou's expression shifted at Kazu's question, and with a warm smile, she gave a firm, sincere nod, "Oh, yes. Yes, it most definitely doesn't stay hard forever. It's what keeps me going, if I'm perfectly honest. I know, even if it hurts now, and even if it makes me sad to think about it, it won't last forever. My father... he would not want it to."

Smile softening, she brushed her fingers gingerly along the neck of the ostrich horse. He might not approve of her decision to join the rebellion, her father, but Ai liked to think he would be proud of her, regardless. And that was enough to make everything that happened hurt just a little less. To know that he would be proud...

"...Anyhow... It's very nice to meet you, Kazu. Truly."

• Love
GM POST

original.gif

Chapter II

Settling down at the campsite of the Eastern Earth Battalion did not come without it's struggles. Each of you were first challenged by a pack of jealous veteran soldiers, claiming themselves to be better fit for the role of Fong Xu's Special Squadron. However, their protests were squandered and their defeat was swift, brought on by your own hands.

The display of skill, overall, greatly impressed General Fong Xu.

However, the camp was then struck by a band of Fire Archers in the cloak of night. Many lives were lost on both ends and it was with a heavy heart that more members were recruited. With the squadron complete, you had set off towards the first checkpoint--a tiny village called Chisawa.

Mysteries and new faces are abound.

46b7e3addda03ff27d5e4e592931f021.jpg

General Fong Xu merely nodded, his tired smile persisting. "Of course. As long as you lend your strength to our cause, then do that by whatever means you believe best, Masao." After a moment of thought, his gaze once again roaming behind at his squadron, the general heaved a sigh and muttered, "I suggest you return to your teammates, now. And keep a vigilant eye on your surroundings."

With a snap of the reigns, he gave a sharp "hup!" and guided his Ostrich back to the group as leading steed. His voice adopted a coat of steel as it traveled overhead. "Keep up, everyone! We'll be traveling until we meet our first stop on the edges of Si Wong Desert!"

If Fong Xu recalled correctly, his map marked the location of a small village on the borders of the desert, serving as a "crossing point" between flatlands and sand dunes. They would need to gather whatever extra water canteens they could before plunging into such a hot and blistering environment. He had only traversed Si Wong twice in his lifetime and the second trip was stained with a trail of blood--

"FUCK YOU, YOU COCKY BITCH!"

The general merely allowed his eyes to slide shut. One second. Two seconds. Then reopened them.

He did his best to tune out Wei's furious shouting.

}:{

It was nearly a day's worth of travel before the squadron reached their destination. Sunbleached foliage and crisp patches of weeds gave way to the onset of burning sands, just barely cooling from the lowering sun. It still resided in the sky, but threatened to set within the next few hours.

They had three at the most.

It would be wise to stop soon.

Luckily, General Fong Xu could spot the structures of a village up ahead; small and poor, from what he could see from a distance. However, as his and the other squadron's ostriches grew closer, the observation transformed into a saddening fact. The shacks were small and dilapidated, just barely holding themselves together against a firm breeze, some livestock meandered across the streets, aimless and homeless, ribs stretching against hide. There was the occasional spotting of larger establishments, obviously businesses posing as the backbone that kept the village alive.

Chisawa. The preemptive checkpoint of Si Wong Desert.

8574c9b4a23a4fa104d07224c219d3c6.jpg

The general slowed his steed, taking in the stray faces of villagers. There were not many out and about; at the most, he could spot three. A man and woman, middle aged, faces hollowed by malnourishment and dirtied with farm work. Dry and painful coughs rattled their chests as sweat rolled down their faces. Their wide eyes followed his and his soldiers' every move, almost as if they were prey holding their breaths until predators overlooked them.

The third face was what truly caught Fong Xu's attention.

It was a young man, perhaps of similar age range to his soldiers, decked out in robes convenient for travel, especially through the desert. His hair was a short and choppy mess, clearly done by his own hand and without much care; all that seemed to matter was docking his cart at a small stable near one of the larger buildings. It was two flights in height and emitted the faint bustle of a crowd from the inside. He did nothing more than shoot the squadron a glance, suspicious of their presence, before forcing his focus back on the task at hand.

A merchant--it had to be. The general's gaze then snapped up to a sign dangling above the entrance. Ah, now he understood. This was an inn. Likely the only one here. Without tearing his gaze from the establishment, he said, "We'll rest here for the night, everyone. Attach your steeds, wait for me inside…" He glanced back at his soldiers, his voice dwindling ever so slightly in volume, "And find out what you can."

Nothing about the condition and aura of Chisawa sat right with him. Not in the slightest. It had never been his… morose, not since the last time he'd skimmed through here.

Tags: @WingWong , @CloudyBlueDay , @Elle Joyner , @Red Thunder

Wei Fong Xu | Location: Chisawa Inn | Interactions: Merchants

mig

Wei unleashed a scoff the moment Fong Xu's orders reached her ears. It was about damn time that they stopped; she had endured hours of pain shooting up her spine with every trot of her steed. Plus, it didn't help that she was still broiling over her earlier conversation with that cocky bitch Jun Li. Fucking hell. What she wouldn't give to slap some healing balm of her back, seize her Ji, and knock the smile clean off that woman's face like the swing of a bat. What right did that bitch have, anyway? None, that was what.

Breaking from her thoughts, Wei heaved another sigh before carefully descending the ostrich and tugging it over to the inn's stables. She spared the merchant a glance from her peripherals, somewhat caught off guard by the eye contact. Simultaneously, they grimaced, while Wei was the one to transform her expression into a snarl. "Got a fucking problem?!" she growled.

The merchant merely heaved a sigh and rolled his eyes. Hefting a bag over his shoulders, he muttered a quiet, "Nope" before slipping into the motel, more than ready to distance himself from her.

Wei huffed. "Yeah, that's what I fucking thought." After double-checking the rope attached to her ostrich, she disconnected her personal belongings from the saddle and also made her way in, avoid any and all talking with her--quote--"teammates". Whatever. She literally had no fucks to give about them. All that mattered was getting a room and resting her aching back for a while, in the sweet embrace of silence. But still, Fong Xu mentioned something about asking around, figuring out what was going on around Chisawa...

Fucking hell.

Growling in annoyance, her arm snapped out to snare her closest victim by the collar. Another merchant, but this one far scrawnier and less composed than the previous guy. Eyes icier than the north pole and promising eternal pain, she hissed under her breath, "This village has fucked written all over it. Explain in ten seconds. 10."

"U-uhhhh! I! D-do I know you??"

"9... 8... 7... 6..."

Sweat rolled down the man's face. "O-okay! Okay! Fucking gods! I've only been here a few days but!"

"5! 4! 3!"

A panicked squeal escaped the merchant. "B-but I think there's some sickness or something going around!"

"2!"

"I-I SWEAR THAT'S ALL I KNOW!!"

"...."

"...."

With a grunt, Wei released the man, watching him scamper away like a bat straight out of hell. Her brow furrowed as she stood in the middle of the lobby, blatantly ignoring the stares of loitering customers and residents. "Sickness? The actual fuck..."

Makoto Jinsen

It was tough to leave.

It was always tough to leave, but now especially more so. His mother was ill with the sickness that seemed to have befallen the village, and leaving her, even in the care of Riku (despite her protests that she was fine alone) left guilt coiling within his stomach.

"I'm not that old." She argued between hacking coughs. Makoto snorted and urged her back into bed, trying not to let his worry spill into his nonchalant tone.

"Uhuh. Mhmn. Talk to the hand." He retorted, pulling up the covers and leaving a cool cloth on her forehead. Leaving food and a glass of cool water beside her. Riku's wife would take care of her, he knew, but she liked to be stubborn. "I'll be back in a few days. There's soup beside you, Hana can warm it up, and if you get cold there's another blanket beside the bed and —"

"Makoto," She said softly, voice a hoarse but still firm. "Go, dear. I'm alright."

A smile twitched onto his lips. He pressed a chaste kiss to her forehead. Despite the effort it took her, she waved him off with a smile.

Outside of the room was Riku, who shot him a sympathetic look. Makoto sighed softly, shaking his head as he leaned into Riku's outstretched arms. His best friend always gave good hugs, even since they were litle.

"I can't thank you enough for this." Mako murmured, head bowed in gratitude. "I'm hoping the trip should be short, if everything goes accordin-"

"Makoto," Riku said with a gentle smile, slapping a hand on his friend's back and tussling his hair. "Don't mention it. Hana's home anyway with Jinsu and the little one on the way. We love Maiya… she's no trouble at all."

Makoto's posture sagged with relief. "I seriously can't thank you enough. Seriously. I am never going to stop thanking you."

Riku laughed. "And I look forward to every single thank you. Now get outta here, I've got a wife to tend too and you have a job."

Makoto rolled his eyes as he made his way out of their small but cozy house. "So do you!"

Most merchants made their business at the inn. He had cargo to deliver and deal in across the desert, but the best way to make extra cash was to lead stragglers through the desert. Before heading out, Makoto always waited, even if just a little while, to see if there was anyone who needed guidance. It could make the difference in the quality of their dinners.

There was an interesting amount of hustle in the Chisawa Inn. Not many people passed through, but this group of people seemed liked they didn't plan to stay long. That meant business for him; perhaps something a little more enticing than a run of the mill job. They were much more lively than the people of Chisawa as of late... morale had been low since the sickness had hit. If they weren't going through the desert, Makoto was curious just to know what they were doing here. He was especially intrigued by the one raising hell in the center of the lobby.

Makoto watched her from a distance at first, letting the poor merchant who she'd manhandled previous scamper away before clearing his throat and stepping forward.

"Excuse me, miss." He said as politely as possible, putting out his hand. "Name's Makoto Jinsen. You and your team wouldn't be looking to head through the Si Wong desert, would you?"

@Mobley Eats

• Sympathy & Compassion
Into the Fire
collab with @Mobley Eats

"Excuse me, miss."

Wei froze.

...Who in the actual fuck had the audacity to approach her? Especially after the shit she just pulled with that pathetic little merchant man? Stiff as a plank of wood, she turned and took in the newest face--and instantly dubbed it as annoying. Well, anyone could've showed up and she still would've came to the same deduction.

But still, either way. This man's presence fucked with her on a spiritual level.

"Didn't ask for your name or for you to come bother me," she grumbled, gaze snapping down to the offered hand… Another scoff escaped her, eyes rolling as she merely slapped it away. "Fuck off, Mak-whatever."

The corner of Makoto's lips were pulled upwards into a smile. Wow, not even sparing a moment. He could feel the hatred radiating from the young woman, so much so that it was almost as if someone was spitting fire in his face. Even as his hand was smacked away, Mako didn't waver. He let out a soft hm, and carried on as if nothing happened.

"I'd do that, if you didn't look exactly like the type of person who's going through the Si Wong desert. And who would probably fight their way through it until the sand swallowed them whole." His tone got dark and gloomy, before he cleared his throat once more and reiterated his peppy smile. "But, luckily, I'm the best guide you'll find for miles. Miles and miles of sand. And nothing else. Pretty expansive. Pretty daunting. Unless you've got a good guide."

"Holy fuck, you're still talking?!" A low growl escaped Wei, her agitation bubbling more and more by the second. Who in the hell was this prick anyhow? And what right did he have to randomly approach her and assume all this shit about her? Crossing her arms and burning twin holes through the man, she muttered, "How fucking fascinating. I won't say it again, dipshit--fuck off. My business is none of yours."

Makoto stared down at Wei, unphased by the glare that threatened to rip through his soul. She was definitely terrifying - he wasn't going to deny her that. A vicious teenager was not something to be underestimated. But he wasn't about to miss a business opportunity.

"Alright," Mako said, putting his hands up. "So, we'll skip your business. Let's talk about...." He scanned the room, and then pointed to the older looking man entering the inn. He didn't look old, just older, and definitely wise. "Him. He goin' through the desert?"

Wei's eyes followed Mako's finger, gaze falling on General Fong Xu. He seemed to be checking in his squadron, talking casually with a woman manning the front counter. As soon as the face registered, a sneer pulled at the teen's lips and her eyes rolled. "The fuck is it to you, huh? I've seriously never met such a nosy and weird fuck like you," she grumbled.

Regardless, Wei wasn't blind to an opportunity for freedom. If this idiot stranger wanted to chat up Fong Xu, then be her fucking guest. Heaving a sigh, she cupped her mouth and yelled out, "Oi, asshole general!"

A pause…

Slowly, calmly, General Fong Xu turned in the pair's direction, dull eyes scanning the situation from afar. In the next moment, his gaze roamed the ceiling, a silent prayer to himself before politely excusing himself from the counter. He approached at a steady pace, his armor clanking quietly with each step. "...I hope you'll remember to address me with more respect in the near future, Wei," he said.

Wei merely flashed him the middle finger.

The general bit back a groan. "...What do you need from me…" The question was pointed initially at Wei, until his attention finally took in Makoto and the question suddenly dispersed between both of them, waiting for an answer from either party.

Makoto couldn't help the chuckle that fell out of him as… Wei called over the general. A fitting name. His laughter quieted the moment the general came into view. He didn't look like a man that appreciated being laughed at. Well.. No one did, really. Beside the point.

"...Sir," Makoto offered, with a little respectful bow of the head. "I was curious as to whether or not you were planning to travel through the Si Wong desert. If you seek a guide, look no further. My name's Makoto."

Fong Xu's brow crinkled in pleasant surprise as Makoto bowed; he never viewed the residents of Chisawa as ill-mannered or inferior to him. Never. However, being shown blatant respect for his rank wasn't exactly at the top of his expectations list for the duration of his team's stay here. The general mirrored the bow, bending at the waist and holding it a moment before erecting his posture. "A pleasure, Makoto--"

"Fucking lies," Wei grumbled.

"--As a matter of fact, yes. We will be traversing Si Wong after resting for the night…" To be perfectly honest, he hadn't considered hiring a navigator but it made plenty of sense to do so. In hindsight. As mentioned before, he'd only crossed the desert twice in his life and one of them was still fuzzy in his memory. Thus, seeking out Makoto's services could be beneficial…

But he wouldn't just subject the safety of his squadron to a face he'd just met.

"How much experience do you have, Makoto?" he asked.

Makoto's gaze continued to fall to Wei, trying not to show his amusement for her little interruptions. "The desert is as much my home as Chisawa, sir. I practically grew up in it. I'm a travelling merchant, with business on the other side, so getting across quickly is as much my interest as yours."

Any other selling points? Makoto paused. "Oh. And I'm a proficient sandbender. In case the desert really decides to swallow us whole." He chuckled at his own joke.

Fong Xu hummed, nodding here and there as he listened to Makoto with diligent ears. So far, he liked what he was hearing; although he hadn't told him much yet, he'd been saying all the right things. They would need to travel as fast as possible; the less of a wait his fellow rebels could endure in Gooling, the better.

But then the man's surprise doubled, somewhat showing through in his features. "A sandbender? Well, that's intriguing." Without missing a beat or batting an eyelash, his leg swept at Makoto's feet, curious to see any instinctual bending unfold.

"Intriguing? I mean, it's -- AH --" A cry erupted from Mako at the sudden attack, not having expected it one bit. Out of pure instinct (maybe it was panic, a little bit of panic, a lot of bit of panic) sand from the pouch on his hip and dove for his feet in an attempt to harden around his ankles and steady him. It was too little too late, however, and despite the sand that met his feet, Makoto still hit the ground with a hard thump, back connecting with wood as pain laced up his spine.

"...Ouch." He muttered. "...Did not expect that."

A guffaw immediately escaped Wei before erupting into a long string of cackles. "Ha! Serves you fucking right!" The smile stretching across her lips was the widest it had ever been.

Fong Xu, on the other hand, failed to spot the humor. Humming in satisfaction, he extended a hand out to Makoto with the intent to assist him back onto his feet. "I see… Apologies for that, Makoto. I just wanted to check behind your tracks. There's nothing worse than entrusting a new face to my precious squadron and realize that they're not as competent as they say."

"He's still not competent at all," Wei said while rolling her eyes. "The idiot can barely stay on his own feet--"

"If I recall correctly, Wei," the general interrupted, tone even and chilled, "Everyone's first instance of so-called incompetence shouldn't mark their overall skill. If that were the case… watching you, an earthbender, blatantly take a boulder to the back would've ejected you from my squadron immediately."

Wei's face burned an entirely new shade of red, her features contorting with bubbling rage. "You! I! F-fucking! FUCK YOU IT WAS A SNEAK ATTACK!"

"Eloquently put, as always," the general sighed.

Gratefully, Makoto took Fong Xu's hand and pulled himself up, dusting himself off and returning the sand to his pouch with a practiced flick of the wrist. "I understand," he offered with a nod, trying not to let redness reach his cheeks as Wei's cackles resounded. He couldn't help a surprised cough at Fong Xu's heated comeback, which sent Wei down a whole new angry path. He covered his mouth to hide the smirk, clearing his throat and returning himself to a level of calmness he'd been trying to keep.

"Very eloquently." Mako echoed with the ghost of a chuckle. "Would have thought she'd be a firebender, but… do you sandbend?" He directed the question towards Wei, but turned back to Fong Xu quickly. "Depending on the size of your… squadron, we can take my sandsail. Especially if I have another sandbender the trip will be easier. Unfortunately I'm a one man show. But am… am I at liberty to ask what your squadron is doing crossing the desert?"

"No," Wei growled, the heat still lingering in her cheeks. She had resorted to folding her arms tightly, nails digging into the skin of her forearms, and turning her back to the pair while adopting the guise of occupying her gaze on a far off batch of merchants. After a moment of gnawing the inside of her cheek, she burned through Makoto with a glare so fiery that it could've confirmed his initial suspicions. "I don't have an affinity for fire or that flimsy sand bullshit. I bend earth."

"And patience," Fong Xu tagged on dryly, the volume just a step below a whisper, but more than loud enough to reach Wei's ears. However, before the teen could properly detonate for a second time within the same ten minute interval, he patted her on the shoulder. "But, I cannot overlook how valuable that stubbornness will be. Just… learn to direct it accordingly, Wei." Again, Wei just huffed and muttered curses under her breath, conjuring a multitude of creative ways to paint both men in bruises from head to toe.

The general's attention shifted to Makoto's latter questioning. "Honestly? No, you are not at liberty to ask, but I see no harm in telling you that we're simply a military force answering a distress call. They're waiting for us and need to get there as soon as possible… I doubt we'll be able to manage a sandsail if you're the only sandbender."

"..Ah." Mako murmured, shaking his head. "Well, even if we won't be taking a sandsail, I would still be happy to teach you some of that flimsy sand bullshit." He shot her a grin, even if his words were genuine.

"I have my own steed, so that won't be a problem." A military force, huh. They looked pretty… mismatched to him. Nothing like normal soldiers. Especially not Wei. "Interesting team you've got." He offered, rubbing the back of his neck, which was now a little sore.

They had an interesting relationship, the general and Wei. It seemed like some sort of mentorship, with all the hypotheticals thrown in the air. How valuable the stubbornness will be. Perhaps it was a squadron in training.

"Well, we'll make the speed at which we get there priority number one. How many people are in your force?"

Wei rolled her eyes. "No fucking thanks. I'll stick with earth." The fucking audacity--as if she would ever consider learning anything from this prick. She'd rather chew off her own hand and feed it to a Fire Nation soldier. And that wasn't an exaggeration in the slightest.

"Interesting is…" A brief pause of contemplation from Fong Xu. "...A word. Yes. Along with potentially powerful. I have full faith in my group, after all. And we have nine members; the total would be ten with your addition to the batch. So," he politely folded both arms behind his back, gaze expectant. "What will you charge? No need in dancing around the topic you're most concerned about."

Mako shrugged. "Your loss. Not so fun being an earth bender in the desert if you can't sand bend. Nothing grounding." His tone was nonchalant. If she wanted to be helpless, that was her problem. Potentially powerful, Fong Xu said, but not powerful quite yet. Definitely a squadron in training. Wei looked young, too. Guess they were recruiting early.

"I believe you, sir." Mako said, a soft chuckle falling out of him at the man's next comment. Ah, yes. The big question. "Guilty," He said with a sigh. "Things have been… dry here, as I'm sure you can tell. You do what you have too." He pondered a moment, touching his chin in contemplation. "I think… five gold pieces would do it. If that's fair to you."

"Whatever." Wei was on the verge of driving her fist into Makoto's nose. It was by the grace of the gods and Fong Xu's presence alone that held her back from doing so. "How about you fucking talk less and focus on your job." Growing sick of the men's presence, she rolled her shoulders, eliciting a few pops that shot uncomfortable sensations down her bruised back. She managed to bite back a grimace and turned to go find a nice quiet corner to boil in until rooms were figured out.

"Get me when you're done spouting bullshit." It was unclear which male she directed the comment to.

Fong Xu watched her leave with a heavy and exasperated sign weighing down the back of his tongue. She was such… a handful, to put it lightly. But, he had dealt with far worse men in the past and refused to let her attitude bother him for long. "I… truly do apologize for her anger. The origins of it is beyond me. Our entire team, to be perfectly honest. Anyway…" He squinted at Makoto and fell silent for a few moments.
"...No, it doesn't sound fair. At all." He said this with the intent of leaving an ambiguous air about it, but he was more so leaning towards the fact that the pay was unfair to Makoto. Had he always been charging past customers such a low navigation rate? Or was it simply the norm for a tiny village like Chisawa? The general allowed a simple shrug. "But, if that's the charge, then so be it. Five gold. We leave no later than tomorrow afternoon, though I prefer to depart by morning."

"...Bye." Makoto said softly, waving Wei off even though she had already stomped away. He could see the exasperation in the general's gaze, and he found it somewhat amusing. It likely wouldn't be so funny once he was stuck in the desert with her, but...he'd cross that bridge when they got to it. "No need," Makoto said, waving a hand dismissively. Wasn't his place to apologize, "she's pretty feisty. Maybe it lends itself helpfully on the battlefield."

At Fong Xu's next statement, though, his eyebrows shot up in surprise. He said it so calmly, yet firm, and Makoto couldn't wonder how exactly five gold pieces didn't sound fair, but before he could make any counterclaim, the general agreed. Much to Makoto's confusion.

"Morning it is." He said after a pause to recollect himself, offering his hand to the man. "It'll be a pleasure working with you, sir."

Expression plastered with the epitome of neutrality, Fong Xu accepted the handshake. His grip was firm. "A pleasure indeed."

Last edited:
AI [MILOU]
OPEN

Upon arriving at their first stop, and as the troop of rebels split off from their steeds, Ai took a moment to take in their surroundings with what could only be described as awestruck wonder. Never before had she explored aspects of the world so outside the range of what she was accustomed to. There weren't words, really, to describe the conditions of the town...

Edging away from where they tied up the mounts, Ai crossed to where the couple stood, staring after their procession with haunted, hollowed faces. The war torn world had never escaped her attention - she knew all too well the ravages it wreaked upon all nations - but it had never really occurred to her just how sheltered from it she had been, until now.

Grimacing, her steps carried her swifter, closer to the pair. As she neared, she could see the devastation of their circumstances more clearly, and for a moment, a knot formed tight against her throat.

"I'm so sorry to bother you... It's just, I noticed your cough. W...would it be alright if I..." Pausing, she straightened up a little, "I can try to help?"

NIA
@Mobley Eats

Decidedly, Nia hated riding. It might've been simply too long in the saddle, but whatever the case, her sore rearend drove determination through her brain like a spike, that she wasn't getting back on that dang ostrich horse as long as her lungs required oxygen to function. In reality, she'd never be able to keep up with the troupe without the mount, but hell if she wasn't gonna let herself think she didn't have to, if only for a little while.

Stretching, with a wince, Nia let her eyes drift among the crowd in the tattered down village, and a small sigh escaped as she took in the near desperate faces among the villagers. This... places like these were why they were fighting. This was their purpose, and in that brief moment of reality, her backside didn't hurt quite so bad.

Crossing the road, she made her way to a familiar sight for sore eyes, and sidling up beside Kazu, she nudged him gently with her shoulder, "Hey, Little Pup. How you holding up...?"

Tarkik Quassa
Focus and concentration. Better put, to rein in the heart and allow the head to drive action. To pause and assess, to recognize the best action and the best moment for that action. To exercise patience.

Patience had little to do with the relief that breathed out from Tark's lungs into the dry air. Much like his companions, his posterior was exceedingly sore and his back rigidly stiff. His ostrich horse, too, seemed weary, if the dragging claws and bowed head were any indication. Finally at a town in which to bunk for the night, Tark dismounted to ease the poor beast's burden before leading it by the reins to the nearest water trough. The water was dirty, having caught a fair amount of airborne dust from the desert. Removing his shirt, the Lotus apprentice filtered out as much filth as he could manage before directing his mount's head to it. Down for a mouthful, up to swallow. The beast took deep draughts, quenching a deep thirst. With soft hand, Tark massaged her flanks while muttering encouragement. The ostrich horse thus provided for, he glanced around to take stock.

In truth, he had not expected Chisawa to be so … desolate. This place hardly qualified as 'village'; even 'community' seemed too generous a term. Obviously poor, battered by the scourges of the elements and the shifting wartime economy, Chisawa was in no good place. Their mere presence might do much in revitalizing some parts of the town. Indeed, it seemed as though one of their number was already speaking with an elderly couple who looked to be in poor health. His observations also located Fong Xu, who seemed to be at this town's version of an inn, likely securing them beds. Excellent; best to be ahead of that curve. Tark began removing items from his mount.

The fairly distinct clatter of a rocked cart drew Tark's attention, and he glanced over to see a man who most decidedly did not look like he belonged in this godforsaken town. His eyes narrowed; it was not infeasible that the Fire Nation had spies secured around the country that might report movements of their enemies. And if so, the sooner he was identified as such, the better.

Tark approached the strange fellow with apparent ease. The man was dressed as a merchant, certainly, and may be that he had wares to sell that Fong Xu could make use of.

"A warm evening to you, sir." Tark dipped his head respectfully, eyes scanning the merchant's person with practiced caution his carefree approach belied. "I've only just arrived, my companions and I. Could you advise me on where I might find a bite to eat at this time of night?"

@Mobley Eats

Last edited:
Collab Post: Precious Cargo | Interactions: Tark, Tac and Mako @CloudyBlueDay | Location: Outside Chisawa Inn

Tac didn't know who these foreign weirdos were, but it wasn't his business to find out.

His way of life and means of survival resided in one place and one place only--everywhere. Because that was what merchants did. They traveled, they bargained, the made profits, just to scrape by and visit their homes for months at a time. It was damn annoying; of course, Tac considered quitting many times before and his partner said he would support him all the way, but then an inkling of guilt would pop up. Uncertainty. Hesitation.

The war was wringing them dry. Financially and emotionally. There was no room to dawdle, no chances of settling down.

Tac's thoughts rotated around this depressing loop as he exited the Chisawa Inn once more to double check his cart. His cargo was incredibly precious this time around and if all went well, he'd profit heavily from it. Just not in a monetary sense. But it would definitely help him sleep better at night--

Then a stranger approached. First the angry kid and now this guy. Squinting, Tac made sure to keep plenty of distance between him and Tark. "Uh… You're looking at it." He nodded towards the Inn. "Only place to serve living space and food." Hoping that the conversation was over, he went back to checking over his cart.

On the other side of the coin, Mako did not did not dread his line of work half as much as Tac. Yes, times were tough. Struggle surrounded Chisawa, and the rest of the world, at every corner. But Mako was a firm believer in looking ahead, to the best of his ability, and things seemed a little brighter with a good amount of gold in his near future.

His next plan was to try and meet as many of the rag tag group that he would be leading through the desert. Mako was a people's person, and it had been a long time since he had seen such an interesting collection of people all under one purpose. Plus, he was curious. As to what they were doing, why they were here, where they were going. He took whatever excitement he could get.

And excitement there was! Not only was there an unfamiliar face, but a somewhat familiar face too. Tac! A fellow merchant. A perfect opening, and Mako had time to kill.

"Evening, gents." Mako smiled, stepping into the conversation courteously. "Tac, good to see you! It's been a while. And you, I don't think I've seen you around. Name's Makoto. You wouldn't happen to be with General Fong Xu over there, would you?"

"It is my pleasure to say that I am indeed." The reply came swiftly, attention having turned from the merchant to the newcomer. He bowed his head in respectful greeting. "I am Tarkik Quassa, though more often simply called 'Tark'. We've come a long way, and I was hoping to secure some food, anyway.

"Your pardon, erm, Makoto. It was a pleasure to meet you, but I must continue business. With 'Tac', was it?" Tark spared a glance at the small war party before turning back to the merchant, a small look of apology in his face. "How many bellies are you capable of filling?"

If Tac wasn't feeling miserable before, then he was downright devastated when the familiar voice of Mako hit his ears. Gods--he didn't have the patience to deal with the sandbender, especially not right now. Regardless, Tac slapped on his usual staid mask and glanced up at the fellow merchant; it seemed like the more people showed up, the shorter he felt. "It's been a while, yeah," he muttered before adding under his breath, "Not long enough…"

At Tark's greeting and next question, Tac couldn't help but stare at the man as if he had offered to sacrifice Squirrel Donkey dung to the gods and bring good fortune for the crops. "...Why does it matter to me how many bellies you guys have? I don't work at the inn. Find out yourself. There's uh…" His memory faltered a moment, brow furrowing, before the name struck him. "Boka--manning the check in today. She'll take care of… whatever you got going on."

Makoto had to admit, he was a little surprised by how quickly Tark dismissed him. It stung, a little, but what stung a lot more was the little mutterance under Tac's breath, which his keen ears didn't miss. "Ouch." Mako announced loudly, nudging Tac. "You don't mean that."

He couldn't help the small smile that arose on his face at Tac's blunt response. Ah, yes, he'd forgotten how little patience for any amount of bullshit his fellow merchant had. "Well, just wanted to introduce myself seeing as I'll be guiding your squadron through the Si Wong Desert come sunrise." He gave a small nod of the head. "Boka can definitely take care of you." He turned his attention back to Tac, smiling lopsidedly. "How's business for you, Tac? What're you selling today?"

Tark blinked a few times.

"I apologize; I wasn't aware that the general had already secured a guide."

Hand to his chest, he bowed at the waist, hoping that maybe the act would offset the deep sinking feeling he had in his stomach that he had offended the person with whom he would be entrusting his life for the next foreseeable future.

It didn't.

So, Tark did what he knew best: focus on the deed at hand.

"Thank you, Tac; I will visit Boka. And thank you, Makoto. Please let me know if there is anything I might do to aid you in aiding us."

With another bow, he turned but paused.

"Ah," he muttered, shifting back around. "Makoto. Is there anything specifically we should do to prepare for the journey over the sands?"

Tac heaved a long and withering groan of abysmal despair… or exhaustion. It was hard to tell. His dull gaze rolled over the two men, first Makoto and then to Tark, back to Makota again. A single hand plopped onto the top of his cart, the touch almost protective. "The usual. Vegetables and stuff." His answer was crisp and short, voice taut with a clear distaste for talking much longer.

However, the tiniest hint of life seeped into his eyes. Perhaps curiosity. He shot the men equally skeptical looks. "You're trekking through Si Wong again? Already? Even if it's good business, I'd look into cutting your losses," he muttered.

The shocked look on Tark's face was a little entertaining. Just a little. "No need to apologize, friend." Makato said with a dismissive wave of his hand. "And no need to thank me. Just doing my job. In terms of packing for the trip, well… as much as you can carry comfortably, quite honestly. It's brutal out there. I'm sure Fong Xu will brief you on the necessary equipment, but do not be afraid to carry more water or food than you think necessary… It'll always be necessary."

Now! That aside. He had people to pester. Raising an eyebrow at Tac, Makoto snorted. "Cut my losses? Tac, please. This is my profession. I know what I'm doing, and this time it's for a very noble cause." Raising his arm slightly, and inching closer to Tac's cart, Mako aimed to lean against it. "I think you should cut your losses! Just vegetables? I'm sure you must have something a little more valuable up your sleeve…"

Tac sliced into Mako with a glare withering just as much as his soul was. Every moment spent talking was the equivalent of ripping off his nails… Okay, fine. A bit of an exaggeration. The point was, he never cared for needless conversation and this one was a prime example. The merchant failed to reply at first, opting instead to let Tark say his peace. He seemed happy enough with the advice, as happy as staid politeness could allow, and he expressed his gratitude with a bow and speedy exit back into the motel.

Thank. The. Gods.

That was one less person for Tac to deal with… Now the real question resided on how he could get rid of Mako. By no means did he particularly hate the invasive sandbender, but something about his exuberance and coyness never failed to stir discomfort in his gut. Unease? Suspicion? Eh… Tac was too far removed from his own feelings at the moment to speculate.

Rolling his eyes, Tac pulled up his sleeves. Well, one sleeve. His left. And raised the naked arm for Mako to see, his expression oozing monotony. "No. Nothing up here. Bye, Mako."

Mako turned his attention fully now to Tac, as Tark made a quick but polite exit. A small chuckle fell out of him as the man rolled up his sleeve. One. One sleeve. "Come on, man. One sleeve? To prove you've got nothing to hide, you rolled up one sleeve?" He shook his head. "Bye already? No, I gotta know what you're hiding!" He struck a comfortable position leaning against the cart. "Lemme guess. Eh?"

"It's proof enough," Tac said, eyeing Mako as he leaned against his cart. The beginnings of a grimace pulled at his features, before forcing it back into an unreadable look. Without breaking eye contact, Tac placed a hand back onto his cart, keeping the lid firmly in place. "One guess, then you'll leave?" It was a waste of time to even hope for a such a thing with Mako, but the merchant was scraping the bottom of his patience bucket at this point.

"One guess? That's not enough! I meant more a hot and cold type thing… at least give me a few guesses!" Mako said, gaze following Tac's hand as it rested firmly on the lid of the cart. Lifting a hand of his own, Mako rapped against the cart with his knuckles. "Pretty worn down, eh? Looks like more than your normal grocery run. Hey, you going through Si Wong too? I could give you pointers!"

"If you're gonna guess, just do it already." Tac raised a single finger and inched it towards Mako's fist, trying to slowly nudge it away as he knocked against his cart. "Material's cheap and Si Wong sun is ruthless." He quirked an eyebrow. "I've been in this business just as long as you have… I'll pass on the pointers." A hint of exhaustion entered his tone. "Besides, I just came out of there… Be best if you stay out too."

He didn't pay much attention to Tac's finger as it traveled closer, instead beginning to tap out a rhythmic pattern against the cart. Mako lost interest in his guessing game. "Stay out? What happened? I'm taking a squadron through there come tomorrow morning. For a good price, too." And gods knew he needed it.

"Whatever they're paying? Ain't worth it." Tac's frown widened a tad at the insistent tapping, but had a gut feeling that the stubborn sandbender wasn't going to let up anytime soon. Fucking headache. "Don't know the details," he shrugged tiredly, "Just know that bad stuff's brewing at the stop. People talking. Tension's been ridiculous."

"But it always is," Mako protested, voice a little more tense. He couldn't lose this job, not now. He needed the money, bad. And he knew the desert like the back of his hand! That was the point of him being hired! He could take this squadron around the tensions no problem. He knew he could. "You just aren't the navigator you know I am. Jealous!" Mako said with a teasing grin.

Tac deadpanned at Mako, his being the physical embodiment of unimpressed. After a moment of staring the sandbender down, he heaved a long sigh and raised his hand to scratch the back of his head. "Listen, dude… I get the desperation. We do this for the same reason. The money's good. Good enough to overlook the risks." He folded his arms. "You're damn annoying, but I don't want you dead either. Just trust me on this."

Shocked by the sudden sincerity, Mako opened his mouth only to close it again. It was the first real moment of silence Tac had gotten since he'd walked over, and Mako finally peeled himself away from the cart. Despite the curiosity that still nagged at him, he suddenly couldn't find the right words.

"...Uhm." Mako muttered, hands shoved into his pockets. "I… er… appreciate the sincerity, Tac. But… I… I can't. I have mouths to feed, and this is… the best offer I've got." Shaking his head, he picked his confidence back up, rolling his eyes. "Come on, I know what I'm doing. Been out there hundreds of times. I'm not gonna die."

Tac stared at Mako for a handful of seconds. Eyes devoid of emotion, yet raking the man's very soul like a well-oiled machine. Contemplation. Hesitation. Resignation. Finally, he nodded and shrugged once more, though the gestures were stained by the tiniest hint of defeat. So be it. The dude wanted to be stubborn, that was on him. Tac had done his part. "If you say so. I did hear that idiots can't die, so… maybe you got a fighting chance. I don't know."

Then, as if remembering where they were, Tac glanced at his cart once more then pinned Mako with an expectant look. "...Okay. You can stop harassing me now."

Mako huffed. "Damn right I got a fighting chance. I'm gonna come back with some damn desert trophies and make you eat your words." Wow, this turned uncomfortable very quickly. And damnit, he was still curious about the stupid cart…

Mako lurched forward in an attempt to slip his hand over the latch and yank it open before Tac could stop him--

Smack!

The motion was swift. Casually. But packed just the right amount of force behind it to get Tac's point across without leaving behind any real damage on Mako's hand. The merchant narrowed his eyes and gripped the cart once more, refusing to let him near the latch. "Nice try," he grumbled. "Good. Night. Mako."

"Ow!" Mako whined, yanking his hand back. "You are really just -- jeez! What is so damn important in this cart! This is only making me more curious, you know! You know -- you know what!"

Wiggling his fingers to get a feel for the sand he kept in the pouch on his hip, Makoto tried a new tactic: a flurry of sand rushed out to hit Tac square in the chest as he dove for the latch once more.

Tac was no fighter. He wasn't nimble. He wasn't agile. He wasn't all that terribly strong. And he wasn't in any way prepared for a torrent of sand to smack him in the chest. The only reaction that managed to escape him was a slight widening of the eyes and in the next moment, he was on his back, heaving a cough under his breath. "Oh, you… you asshole," he wheezed.

"Yep. Asshole. That's me." Mako announced shamelessly, diving headfirst into the cart only to find… vegetables. And more vegetables. And more fucking vegetables. Were there only vegetables?! Was that what Tac had been hiding? No, no way. There was definitely something in here. There had to be. So he shoved aside the obnoxious amount of vegetables (okay maybe he shouldn't say that food was important) to find… some very conspicuous looking wooden planks.

Jeez, finally. Something suspicious. Mako pushed them aside. All he saw were… bottles. Filled with, um… liquid. Medicine? He was confused. Tac didn't deal in medicine, and he was no doctor. Finally, Mako brought his head out of the cart to peer at Tac, who was on the floor. He didn't bother to apologize.

"What… is this stuff?"

"If Si Wong doesn't kill you, I will," Tac groaned while clambering to his feet, a hand resting on his aching chest. He couldn't tell if he frustrated with Mako for pulling such a dirty move or at himself for forgetting about the man's sandbending abilities; either way, he was just about at the end of his rope, especially when he saw the fellow merchant rummaging through his cart.

He sliced through Mako with a harsh glare while stomping up to him, retrieving the discarded planks to try and resituate them. "None of your business," he hissed under his breath. "What you should be asking is how many seconds do you have left before I dropkick you."

"Neither of you are gonna kill me," Mako muttered, and with a flick of his wrist collected the sand that had sprawled on the floor after his attack against Tac. It gathered around his wrist, hovering almost like a bracelet. "Dropkick me? Come on. What are you selling, Tac?"

"Dude!" With a huff, Tac slammed the cart shut and set the latch back in place before spinning around to glare up at Mako again. For the first time in their conversation, emotion entered his eyes and it was nothing short of a white hot flash of agitation. "Do you understand what boundaries mean? It's medicine! You just said it! People need it! Problem solved--goodbye."

Mako's eyes widened, backing up slightly at the slamming of the cart. "Medicine -- for the sickness? You have a cure?! Wh- where? How?! And why are you keeping it a secret when just about everyone in this village needs it?" The agitation didn't deter him. Suddenly there was hope, because if this was truly something that could help his mother… well then, damnit, Tac had a customer right in front of him.

"I never said it was for that! Gods, do you even listen to yourself sometimes?! You know what, I-! I!" Tac ran both hands down his face while sucking in a large gulp of air, then expelling it in a long and purely exasperated sigh. He was so tired of this; bickering was far from his strong suit, especially with stubborn idiots like Mako. He managed to gather some of his composure, though it wasn't as much as he hoped for. "Look. Listen. This stock… is not meant for here, alright? My customer gave exact directions and I'm going to follow them."

Gnashing his teeth together, Makoto took another step back. Someone specific ordered -- this. Whatever it was. Something about this felt wrong, or maybe that was just… just his own desperation. "... Just… just promise this isn't something that could help the people here?" Mako muttered.

Tac swept his hair back in lingering frustration. "Yes, alright? Fine. I promise. It's nothing like that, alright? It's for some rash outbreak, I don't know. Client didn't give me details like that; I'm just here to deliver and get paid just like you," he said.

Mako's posture sagged considerably. It took him a moment to pick himself up again, for the second time in their conversation. "... Right. Just like me." He muttered, somehow feeling that wasn't quite right. "Well… if your client gives you details next time about a cure for… for all of this. Please let me know." He sighed. "... I guess I'll get out of your hair now. Hurray."

Tac's expression remained unreadable, though his body language screamed of annoyance and finality. He glared at the dirt between them. "Yeah. I'll do that." He glanced up at Mako. "You do that. Get out of here, Mako."

Wrong, wrong, wrong, all his gut was telling him was that this was wrong. Mako blinked up at Tac, fully prepared to keep his head low and sulk out of Tac's way, before he said that last line. Get out of here. Get away? From him, or from… here?

Jaw tense, looking uncomfortable as ever, Mako allowed all the sand to funnel back into his pouch and spun on his heel, turning away. All the excitement he'd had for this upcoming trip was gone, and now all that was left was a seed of worry growing in his stomach.

Tac didn't dare breathe until Mako was long gone. The moment privacy was once again in his grasp, the merchant heaved a sigh of relief and rested both hands atop his cart. Close. Way too close. "Tomorrow," he whispered, "Just hang in there."

Tags: @Elle Joyner , @WingWong