Avatar the Last Airbender: The quest to find the Avatar

Do you think Leiang is a likeable character ;)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bihai crossed her arms, her mouth forming a tight line. The girl didn't look like she would have started attacking at all! If anything she probably would have ran off. But she only stepped back and said nothing, stealing little glances at Havah to see how she was reacting to her defending the firebender.

Shock coursed through her at seeing the airbender. She had thought that they had all been wiped out! And this Leiang--He was a former firenation soldier? Though the quest sounded noble and everything, Bihai couldn't bring herself to say anything else. She had never left Ba Sing Se! And she couldn't just up and leave her family!

Zada was so confused. First he calls her a thief, then he picks her up, then he sets her down and tells her that he needs her, then he threatens to send her to jail if she doesn't join! Oh, and he was a firebender too. These people were just too strange. She looked over at the woman who had stood up for her. An earthbender, that she knew for sure. Didn't earthbenders and other beners hate the firebenders? Everything was just too confusing.

She looked over at the airbender, curious as to how she hid all of her arrows in that dancer outfit. Did she use the paint that some of the fancy ladies wore? Maybe she was just good at hiding things. Zada sighed as she blew a bit of smoke, trying to calm down a bit more. If she had pulled that back on the streets, she would have been dead.

Reactions: ≈Evërlastiπg≈
The woman places herself between Asha and Leiang, stating her name as Amihan, the man's companion. A smirk tilts on one corner of Asha's beautiful face, her golden eyes glowing knowingly. That earth kingdom bow is almost perfected, but Asha knows an air nomad when she sees one. After all, in her years, before the Air Nomads were all wiped out, the woman had known quite a few. It was only a matter of time before she ran into a runnaway. Slowly, her smirk turns into a complete, knowing smile, placing her hands together, one curled over the other fist, bowing at the waist, her eyes still watching.

That is, until Leiang made her pause. Placing a hand on her shoulder, he moved towards Asha. With a smile, she allowed the man, who is now much taller than she, run up and hug her around the waist - a hug they had done since he was small enough to do so standing straight up. Practically raising the boy, Asha knows him better than most. It was always sad to see him go, especially since she had no children of her own. Lowering herself to ruffle his hair and kiss his forehead, Asha greets him with the adoration of a mother. "It is very good to see you, Leiang. I have missed you much."

Upon letting her go, he reaches for Kizmo, who sniffs his finger before allowing him to scratch his chin, nipping almost playfully at Leiang's fingers. "Kizmo is a lazy old boy, but he is my greatest companion. He has missed you almost as much as I have. Especially since my husband passed." She gave a bow of her head a moment before looking out with a smile. It is then that he pauses introductions to look out to those who have entered the area. Giving a smile and a bow to each of the others, Asha also greets those who aren't afraid to come up to her. "It seems you have been very busy, Leiang. I can't wait to hear about it...especially since my own search for the Avatar has left me weary. Perhaps it is time for a change." And a cup of warm tea.

She goes to the camp, where she spots a place for a fire under a nice bit of shade. Breathing in, she shoots a small blast of blue towards the pile of sticks and tinder, lighting it instantly. From her traveling pack, she pulls a tea set, complete with ten small cups and ingredients for her own Jasmine Tea recipe. "Shall we all discuss this over a warm cup of Tea? We are all probably tired and restless at the same time. It is good to calm our minds...and this will allow us to get to know each other. It is always good to share a cup of tea with strangers...especially strangers that we must get along with if we are to have hopes of creating a team."

She listens to the others speak their names, bowing her head to each one. Then, from her place as she pours the tea into the cups, she speaks her own story. "Leiang is not the only firebender, my friends. I am Asha Destrey, known throughout the Fire Nation - the world, even - as the Phoenix, the ultimate female firebender, wife to General Kazumo, the man who single-handedly took out a good portion of the Air Nomads. When he died, and I saw the destruction he created, I vowed to search out a way to bring an end to it. I had already seen Ran and Shaw - the two greatest firebenders in the world. I had already been gifted with the secret to firebending. I have been searching for the Avatar since then...this was after I trained Leiang from a child. How do you think he's so inventive?" Giving a warm smile to Leiang, she waves for everyone to come over. It is a good time to calm the nerves. After all, not all firebenders can be bad. That wouldn't make for a very good world. Just like not all airbenders can be gone...because then the balance cannot be restored.

Last edited:
Sora smiled at the older lady, she seemed quite friendly and inviting which was nice change from the gruff people she had been coming into contact with lately. She found great interest in learning she was the Phoenix and had been taught by 2 of the oldest firebenders known, and she had raised Leiang. She follows after Asha giving her a respectful bow before giving her a warm smile, noticing the ferret she smiles more, she loved animals. "Its nice to meet you Asha, it sounds like you've gone through quite a lot in your years im sure it would be a interesting and thrilling story to tell. Your ferrets name is Kizmo? Hes cute I love animals of all kinds. Can I pet him?" Her voice is friendly and polite.

A waterbender - and a healer by the looks of her. Asha gives a warm smile, bowing in return, her hands placed flat against each other. "The pleasure is all mine, young waterbender. It is, and perhaps I shall tell it to you some time." Kizmo looks up at the mention of his name, his beady black eyes blinking at the woman a moment before he huffs and goes back to sleep across Asha's shoulders. "You can try, but I fear his grumpiness will get in the way of friendliness. He's been through a lot lately. Perhaps when he has had some rest." An apologetic smile pulls at the corners of Asha's lips as she bows her head, pouring a hot cup of Jasmine tea for Sora, then for herself. Lifting the small glass to her lips, Asha takes a sip, breathing an exhale as a satisfied smile appears on her face, her golden eyes sparkling happily. "Nothing like a hot cup of Jasmine Tea to soothe the nerves. Leiang, child...please, come have a cup and tell us what you have brought us all together for."

Zada's mouth nearly fell from her head. The Phoenix... THE Phoenix! She was mere feet away from one of the best firebenders ever! The excitement was nearly overwhelming. The young red head slowly inched toward the older woman. She felt like this whole thing was a dream or some crazy hallucination. This was at least better than scavenging for food with the other orphans.

The young firebender stood like a solider near Asha. Zada wanted to scream in joy from being so near her idol.

Frustration and fury grew inside of Havah. A fire-bender! Another one? The Fire Nation had destroyed her home, her family, her life, and she was expected to travel with one? Without another word, Havah pivoted away from the fire-benders to return to Ba Sing Se.

"Havah, wait!" Bihai called out, grabbing her friend's arm and trying to stop her from leaving. Even if she wasn't sure whether she could go on the quest with the others, she at least wanted her friend to go and make a difference.
"Havah, I-" She paused then, not sure of how to word her next statement. "I know that the fire nation wronged you and your family, but these, he-" She gestured at Leiang. "Doesn't he seem different to you? He wants to change things!" she whispered, not wanting the others to listen in on their private conversation.

Havah hesitated. She didn't want to abandon her friend, but the hatred she had secretly nurtured compelled her to leave, to be against all fire-benders equally. "How different can a fire-bender be?" Havah whispered back, "They all have that destructive energy. They're volatile and untrustworthy."

Bihai released her friend's arm. "Not all people have to adhere to the labels we put on them," she said softly then gestured at the woman who had revealed herself to be an airbender. "Firelord Sozin devastated her people, but she's willing to stand by a fire nation bender. A former soldier at that." Havah started, not having realized Leiang was a soldier.
Bihai shifted uncomfortably, knowing that as soon as she let loose with her next words, she wouldn't be able to take them back. "We can go together and stand by each other! If things go awry...I'll have your back."

Havah relaxed some of her muscles that had been tensed. If an air-bender and Bihai were going to trust a fire-bender, how could Havah not go along? She felt she would be a coward, maybe even traitorous, if she abandoned those who wanted her help. As Bihai said, if things went awry, it was better to have two earthbenders than one.
Havah turned toward the rest of the group, resigning herself as one of their number. She had missed Asha's introduction, but noticed Sora. A water-bender. This was the second water-bender Havah had seen, but she felt comfortable around them. Perhaps it was the strength of water against fire, and of earth against water, but this was only subconscious thought.

Ama stared at the girl who suddenly confessed to being an air bender. He looked back at her and blinked. "Oh." he voiced out.

Staring at the oddly dressed girl, his eyes widened. "You're The Dancer!" he cried with a bright smile. Distrust flying out the window, he moved forward and shook her hand enthusiastically. "My Mother loved your performance those years ago!" he told her honestly. "We've met! I was the guy you helped catch my Chimpankeet!"

He smiled at Leiang brightly. "If you have the Dancer in your troupe then there's no need for me to distrust you!" he told the fire bender. "I was supposed to train the Avatar anyway. That's why I'm here in the Earth Kingdom."

He grinned at the girl in pink. "I'll join you guys! I'm a great fan!" he told her. "Have you met Chimpy?" He whistled and his Chimpankeet landed on his shoulder. He gave them all a smile. "We can trust this guy!"

He turned to the woman who introduced herself as the Pheonix. He smiled slightly. The Pheonix was known to be peaceful, but he always had a passive dislike for fire benders. "I know the perfect blend to Jasmine Tea." he told Asha as he came closer. "I've been told that a water bender's bended water creates a more smooth blend."

"What an interesting creature? What's it called?" he asked her as he stood beside his...fellow bender. He turned to the girl. "I've lived 10 years in the Northern Water Tribe, I've never met you before." he told her. "I'm Ama Bae Je. You are?" He asked, his eyes moving to Amihan and smiled at the air bender. "It's nice to meet a fellow bender."

Maybe this quest wasn't so bad after all.

Amihan's mood lightened upon Ama's sudden change of demeanor, and everyone slowly accepting the task. She let Ama shake her hand, nodding. "Yes, I'm a dancer but I like how you put it. 'The Dancer'." She chuckled a little as she linked herself right back to where Leiang was, almost automatically. "Now is a good time for you to start off on the plan, Lei. They've simmered down." She surveyed them excitedly.

Spotting the youngest of the odd group inch closer, Asha gives a gentle smile, patting the area beside her and placing a cup of hot tea before the fire. "Come now, child. Now's not the time to play soldier. Relax while we await the information of our leader, eh? Do you like Jasmine?" Her voice is warm and motherly, her golden eyes sparkling at the redheaded girl. Perhaps she can take on a new pupil...Yes, she'd much like that.

The young waterbender addressing her pulls Asha's attention away a moment as she smiles at him. Bowing her head slightly, she offers the pot that rests over the flickering flames. "Please, show us. I am always open to such claims. I can never imagine having such a beautiful gift as water." Asha's respect for all elements grows deep in her heart, showing slightly in moments like this when someone offers such a treat. Kizmo raises his head at the noisy chimpankeet on the man's shoulder, squeaking his dismay. Lifting a hand to pet his chin, Asha shushes the little Fire Ferret. At his question, she smiles. "This is Kizmo, my Fire Ferret. My husband got him as a baby when we visited the city of Ba Sing Se as travellers...that wasn't long before he passed away. Perhaps that's why my dear Kizmo's name is just that." Another gentle smile, this one pointed at the little weasel on her shoulder. "He is such a sweetheart."

Looking up at the Airbender suspiciously, Asha once more bowed her head slightly before looking to Leiang. "Yes, perhaps it is time you explain why we are here, child. It would be best for those that do not know you and have yet to see the goodness of some Firebenders. We are here to go after the Avatar, right? To help him restore the balance?" It is her hope and dream to do just that. Balance must always remain...without balance, the world would surely perish.

Zada blushed in embarrassment as she did as the Phoenix told her. She wasn't playing soldier! And she wasn't a child! She was thirteen years old, thank you very much! However, she kept herself cool as she looked over at the jasmine. "I've never had tea before so I don't know." She said simply, shrugging as she looked at the strange drink. She had seen the older people drink it all of the time, but she never knew why they liked it. Though, now she was curious. What would it taste like? The young girl's curiosity could be seen clearly in her eyes as she looked over at the teapot. This all just seemed so strange, especially since beforehand she was just running around with the other kids. What would they think when she was gone? They probably would think she was taken to either the orphanage or killed. Hopefully the first one since she would rather not be remembered as dead.

He had gone into his thoughts, and been re awoken by Amihan and Asha, He looked at Amihan nodding his head and thinking a bit more before walking over were most have collected. " Right, the Avatar " he chuckled as he put his back against one of the posts of the tents. " My sources have told me he was recently near Ba Sing Se, which is why i gathered you all, due to skill and the fact that someone you know the city very well, above ground..and underground " he smirked as he said underground. " But what my recent sources told me, is that he has run off due to the fire nation soldiers hearing of his position...Now for what i will really ask of you..and this will settle who will really stay and who wont " He stood erect running a hand through his hair sighing " A fire nation camp is just a ways away from Ba Sing Se, It is a medium sized group armed with two of the fire nations Tanks. " He looked at the group to see how they all may have looked or felt " What i plan to do, is attack the camp which is a little ways away from here, while they rest we come in. Destroy anything and everything, but in that same time i will find the general, and find out what he knows and send them back on their merry way to their beloved fire lord " Leiang crossed his arms spitting to his side on the floor " That is all that i have planned into that, i have the way we will get in and travel all set, i just need...some people to be on board with this idea...because if not...then i dont know " He shrugged his shoulders.

Havah barely noticed as the others mingled and socialized. She and Bihai were the earthbenders. Less flighty, less malleable, less erratic. Havah couldn't speak for her companion, but she wasn't one to make friends quickly. She turned toward the fire-soldier as he explained their position. The plan seemed to be to attack a Fire Nation outpost. The idea pleased Havah, though she did not show it. But of what use would those firebenders be against other firebenders? They were obviously resistant to fire, just as she was not easily damaged by earth. They could bend it back. Well, if those three wanted to go in and be useless that was up to them. "I will join the fight," Havah spoke up. The board reference was lost on her.

Sora takes the cup gratefully laughing lightly at the grumpy ferrets rebuff of her, she didnt take any offense by it. Staying quiet as the others mingled she sips her tea slowly, finding it quite tasty. Noticing the young girl that was curious of the tea she holds up her cup with a friendly smile mouthing to her "Its good" before taking another sip. Her gaze sapphire gaze falls back to Leiang as he tells them of their reason for being here, and what he plans to do. Pondering the situation a moment she stays silent. Well she didnt want to hurt anyone, but if she didnt join these nice people would most likely be hurt if not worse. And the people they were attacking were pretty bad people....Plus she didnt actually have to hurt them, she could just knock them out or something if they got in her way. Making her decision she looks around at the group, hearing the earthbender-Havah declaring she was joining, Sora gives her a small smile. "As will I, somebodies gotta heal your butts once your done rough housing" Her voice is light and teasing.

"Getting into the camp isn't the problem." Amihan put a hand on Leiang's shoulder. "Are you going to be alright, going against your former comrades?" she looked at him with serious concern. As an Airbender, she would of course always seek a rather pacifist stance or a less dangerous path. But she was genuinely worried for Leiang. "But by all means, you have my full support. And I'm with you in this."

She turned to Havah and Sora with a kind but somehow worried smile. "Thanks, we will need all the help we can get."

" Alright im glad some people are in on the plan, We leave soon to get to the camp over night, those who do not wish to go either stay here or go home...we will be back " He said smirking, He looked at Amihan and smiled knowing she was worried about him all the time " Excuse us for a moment " He took Amihan by the hand and lead her into a large tent, which would signify his tent " I think i will be able to handle....my old friends...but in the case that i wont be able to....retreat everyone and leave me there, dont come back for me " he said nodding, it was a one way mission for him if he could not do it he would never be able to go back to finding the avatar, this was something he had to to do " This is something that has to be done...or ba sing se may fall"

Reactions: Banana-senpai
Zada frowned before going up to Leiang. "Excuse me, sir? If we stop the fire nation, and get the avatar, will they just want revenge? Or will they change their ways?" She had heard her father ask her that question when she was younger. She wasn't sure how to answer it and just said she didn't know. He didn't expect her to so he sent her to practice dance with her mother. At least that's what she dreamt up anyway. Who knew if she actually had parents or not? She was just an orphan on the street with no clear past.

Ama frowned at thought. He had absolutely no problem with joining this group. He swirled the water in the pot mindlessly, he's done this for his mother many times. Making tea, he means. Not joining vagabonds in searching the Avatar. Though mind you, his Mother wanted him to.

"I'll join you." he called out but Leiang was already walking away with Amihan and narrowed his eyes. They weren't together were they? Because Amihan could do so much better than that...blonde. The Dancer was too good for that soldier. Way too good. Wait, why was he glaring at that thought? He didn't like her that way. He was just a fan! Right, he was just a fan. A fan.

He smiled back at the Pheonix quickly, trying to get rid of his darkening thoughts. "A fire ferret?" his eyes widened in excitement, he's never seen one before but he's heard of them and are completely rare. "That's amazing!" he exclaimed and pulled away in embarrassment. It wouldn't do for a Warrior Noble to get so...fidgety.

"Right! Tea! I was supposed to show you!" he said as he remembered. "You use the usual blend to make the tea, but what we do is place an the bud of the jasmine inside and encase the entire pot in heat." he instructed and showed her the steps as he said it, placing in the buds. It was lucky of him to have picked these buds earlier that day. They were supposed to be a gift for his mother, but oh well, no harm done.

He smiled at her as he just realized something. "We encase it in heat to make the buds bloom...but you're a fire bender!" he spoke. "You can just encase everything in fire at the right temperature!"

Smiling brightly, he took the lady's hands. "I can gently swirl the water around as you heat it completely with your flames! It would create a more smoother, richer blend!" he spoke. "This would be the most amazing tea ever!"

Turning to the others, his smile froze. He was surrounded by women. Women that weren't his mother, sister or niece. How does one interact with women that weren't family?!

"I - you - uhm -...tea?" he stuttered with a nervous smile while blushing slightly at his broken speech, pointing at the pot. Dear Spirits, he was such a mess around women.

"Actually, the nation itself is but a pool of resource of the Fire Lord." Amihan explained to Zada. "The Avatar will help us overthrow him and rid us all of-oh!" She was unable to finish as Leiang had pulled her by hand into his tent.

He spoke, she observed him. It has been a long time but his expressive eyes were still the same. She knew he what he was up to, he needn't tell her of the risk. She let him speak, though. It would help him think of what he's feeling and not to be racist, but Fire Nation citizens are often driven by their emotions.

"Leiang," Amihan began gently, finding the words to calm him. Instead, she cupped his face and made their eyes meet. "You can't change this world from the grave. You must live. For the world you want to change-your home, the nations, for me? Please?" She smiled a little.

"Have faith in Ba Sing Se, too. It's a strong country. And in our new companions." She added reassuringly. "They're a group of talented and good peple, I can tell. Let's trust them too."

The fire-soldier entered a tent. Others mingled about. Havah slowly stepped among them. "I - you - uhm -...tea?" a voice to Havah's left stuttered. It was a Water Nation lad. If Havah were to mingle with this lot, a waterbender would be a safe place to start. She stepped to Ama's side, standing as she did not know how or where to sit in this company.

"I would take some tea," Havah said to Ama, "What is the blend?"

Status
Not open for further replies.